PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool ban the Sun

Tom Hart RIP
10-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Liverpool have banned sun reporters from games and press conferences.

10-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Quite right, hopefully others follow suit.

Disgrace of a paper.

BroxburnHibee
10-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Surprised it took this long

emerald green
10-02-2017, 07:09 PM
More background information on this development.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38933817

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-38933817)

BigKev
10-02-2017, 07:10 PM
No one in Liverpool or associated with the city buys it anyway so no great impact there.

Should have happened 28 years ago though.

High-On-Hibs
10-02-2017, 07:24 PM
All red top papers should be banned, you can throw the Telegraph, the Mail and the Express in there as well...... in fact, just ban newspapers!

HoboHarry
10-02-2017, 07:27 PM
I understand the overall story but why now?

emerald green
10-02-2017, 07:33 PM

The ban follows a campaign by the Total Eclipse of The S*n group. See link in post #4 above.

WoreTheGreen
10-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Can we do the same with daily ******

The Modfather
10-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Not going to pretend I know everything on the subject, and understand how emotive a subject it is. However Is there a question to ask how relevant the current Sun journalist are to what the paper did at the time?

I wouldn't buy The Sun as it's a cartoon paper, and I know it's a damaged brand. Particularly with the Hillsborrough truth finally coming out recently. Just wonder how long an event remains relevant when the people now involved were not part of the past.

Again, hopefully not caused any offence as know some on here were personally affected. I also don't pay much attention to who owns papers or who runs them, so may be being naive in thinking the current staff/setup weren't involved in the past.

Baader
10-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Well done Liverpool FC. Not worthy of being in print that rag.

AngloHibs
10-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Why not ban Sky Sports too? After all, ultimately they are owned by the same company. Or would that cost too much?

tamig
10-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Not going to pretend I know everything on the subject, and understand how emotive a subject it is. However Is there a question to ask how relevant the current Sun journalist are to what the paper did at the time?

I wouldn't buy The Sun as it's a cartoon paper, and I know it's a damaged brand. Particularly with the Hillsborrough truth finally coming out recently. Just wonder how long an event remains relevant when the people now involved were not part of the past.

Again, hopefully not caused any offence as know some on here were personally affected. I also don't pay much attention to who owns papers or who runs them, so may be being naive in thinking the current staff/setup weren't involved in the past.
I think the current regime implicated themselves by effectively ignoring the momentous outcome of the most recent Hillsborough inquiry. So they are guilty as charged.

Good article here;
The Sun didn't think Hillsborough verdict merited front page coverage | Media | The Guardian
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/apr/27/the-sun-didnt-think-hillsborough-verdict-merited-front-page-coverage

10-02-2017, 08:06 PM

We should. There has been no retraction or apology for their "11 rangers players brutally assaulted" story. Complete fabrication to suit their agenda of sooking up to the huns.

Of course it is nowhere near the level of accusing fans of basically causing the death of their own but never the less this paper completely tried to paint hibs fans as thugs and rangers as innocent victims which as we all know from later stories is utter bull****.

HibernianJK
10-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Strange that it's taken so long. But quite right.

Nameless
10-02-2017, 08:14 PM
This is LFC, on behalf of the whole city, telling the S*n to GTF. I was only young, but I remember the lies vividly - this has been a long time coming. I'd love to see other clubs do the same, and finally put that shameful, hate filled rag out of business.

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Why not ban Sky Sports too? After all, ultimately they are owned by the same company. Or would that cost too much?
Easy to ban something when it costs you nothing isn't it.If it's over a point of principle clearly the club should refuse Sky's money.

Billy Whizz
10-02-2017, 08:34 PM
I think there's a certain individual still at the Sun, who was involved in the inaccurate stories at the time of Hillsborough

lucky
10-02-2017, 08:37 PM
I hate Murdoch and what he stands for but J96 campaign was never against him and his companies just the **** for the lies they told and continued to tell

Johnny Clash
10-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Everything about that paper stinks.

McD
10-02-2017, 08:51 PM

They aren't owned by the same company.

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 08:54 PM
They aren't owned by the same company.
Their ultimate owner is the same though.Family Murdoch.

jacomo
10-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Quite.

The Sun printed 'the truth' with fond approval from the top. Rupert Murdoch closed News of the World in the wake of phone hacking revelations but I can't remember him disavowing the work of his favourite paper.

Liverpool FC should boycott SKY.

Deansy
10-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Was just going to say the same - on the grounds of the disgusting 'reporting' (or obeying Level-5's orders) of the events at the Scotish-Cup final and that also it's a baw-hair away from being 'mong-media' but without the actual swearing ?.

McD
10-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Their ultimate owner is the same though.Family Murdoch.

21st Century Fox owns 39% of the shares in Sky.

the sun is owned by News UK, which is owned by News Corp, which is a seperate company to 21st Century Fox.

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 09:05 PM
21st Century Fox owns 39% of the shares in Sky.

the sun is owned by News UK, which is owned by News Corp, which is a seperate company to 21st Century Fox.
And both companies are controlled by?

McD
10-02-2017, 09:11 PM
And both companies are controlled by?

The original point was that sky and the sun were owned by the same company. This simply isn't true.

Johnny Clash
10-02-2017, 09:30 PM
Everything about that paper stinks.

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 09:33 PM
The original point was that sky and the sun were owned by the same company. This simply isn't true.
I know.

Scouse Hibee
10-02-2017, 11:16 PM
Easy to ban something when it costs you nothing isn't it.If it's over a point of principle clearly the club should refuse Sky's money.

It's a point of the Sun newspaper nothing to do with SKY.

10-02-2017, 11:22 PM
It's a point of the Sun newspaper nothing to do with SKY.

Exactly. The Sun should be ashamed of themselves

GORDONSMITH7
11-02-2017, 12:00 AM
I know.

I was in Liverpool with good amigos Reds and Blues to see LOVE with Arthur Lee at the Summer Pops in Liverpool Docks, when this £250,000 con by the ****ty Sun transpired. Literally I witnessed disgust at dafty Rooney (indeed his agent advising him I guess) from all sides with utter condemnation from the Everton Supporters Association Liverpool Supporters Association. I am ****ing amazed to this day that the lower than a snakes arse, lying ******* and objectionable human being Kelvin Calder MacKenzie still gets airspace. The next day after the wonderful LOVE gig, with a sare napper after ending up till god knows when in Liverpool night venues, I managed to get to Manchester Airport for my flight to Amsterdam and on to Lithuania to see the Mighty Cabbage crash out of the Intertoto Cup.

http://love.torbenskott.dk/tour2004/20040707_liverpool.asp

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/jul/08/football.pressandpublishing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3883197.stm

F*** the Hearts

Bad boy Charity Dodgers 0 the Edinburgh Hibernians 3

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
11-02-2017, 12:20 AM
I was in Liverpool with good amigos Reds and Blues to see LOVE with Arthur Lee at the Summer Pops in Liverpool Docks, when this £250,000 con by the ****ty Sun transpired. Literally I witnessed disgust at dafty Rooney (indeed his agent advising him I guess) from all sides with utter condemnation from the Everton Supporters Association Liverpool Supporters Association. I am ****ing amazed to this day that the lower than a snakes arse, lying ******* and objectionable human being Kelvin Calder MacKenzie still gets airspace. The next day after the wonderful LOVE gig, with a sare napper after ending up till god knows when in night venues, I mamaged to get to Manchester Airport for my flight to Amsterdam and on to Lithuania to see the Mighty Cabbage crash out of the Intertoto Cup.

http://love.torbenskott.dk/tour2004/20040707_liverpool.asp

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2004/jul/08/football.pressandpublishing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/3883197.stm

F*** the Hearts

Bad boy Charity Dodgers 0 the Edinburgh Hibernians 3

BIG G

Not many on here will have seen it but I have seen on Monday mornings on two occasions, when returning to Edinburgh after weekend gigs, bundles of FREE copies of the Sun,trying to get circulation back from 500,000 on Merseyside et al to ****pence, set on fire by newsagents. I remember walking along Dale Street the next day, after a mentalist night before and after, in the wonderful Ship and Mitre pub on Dale Street, following a great gig by Liverpool legends SHACK, and still bevvied seeing three sets of flames in front of me. A totally Monty Pyton experience.

BIG G

Haymaker
11-02-2017, 02:01 AM
I might have missed something but why now?

GORDONSMITH7
11-02-2017, 02:13 AM
Not many on here will have seen it but I have seen on Monday mornings on two occasions, when returning to Edinburgh after weekend gigs, bundles of FREE copies of the Sun,trying to get circulation back from 500,000 on Merseyside et al to ****pence, set on fire by newsagents. I remember walking along Dale Street the next day, after a mentalist night before and after, in the wonderful Ship and Mitre pub on Dale Street, following a great gig by Liverpool legends SHACK, and still bevvied seeing three sets of flames in front of me. A totally Monty Pyton experience.

BIG G

Another thing that boils my pish on here and the Bounce where I am an Admin, is the Daily Rangers, ie Record, bias against Hibs thang ,boo,boo, whilst the default is that the horrible Sun, Mail, Express,treat Hibernian well etc. It disnae hold water. I remember when apparently after a weekend fitba, Rangers then in the lowest division possible had seven pages in that toilet role of a paper. Papers in Scotland, the general media, as per really duff stuff on STV and BBC exclusively want to talk about Rangers and Celtic , it suits them.

GGTTH

BIG G

SouthMoroccoStu
11-02-2017, 03:53 AM
I might have missed something but why now?

Got to say I was thinking the same

Was The Sun about to release a (hillsborough unrelated) story that Liverpool didn't like so they thought they would strike first?

Who knows?!

Pete
11-02-2017, 04:20 AM
I think there's a certain individual still at the Sun, who was involved in the inaccurate stories at the time of Hillsborough

Surely there are less individuals involved there now than there have been in the last 28 years.

What percentage of workers in the present day Sun had anything to do with it?

I know it's a point of principle but is it not time to draw a line and move on?

AngloHibs
11-02-2017, 06:39 AM
It was me that made the original point. Years ago, I had a dispute with British Gas and vowed never to use them again. Because of this, I also stopped using the AA, as both companies were owned by Centrica at the time.
If Liverpool FC were really bothered about principle, and not just appeasing their fans by boycotting the bogeyman Sun, they would boycott all Murdoch companies. The Sun=Murdoch=Sky, dress it up however you like, but it's true.

McD
11-02-2017, 10:42 AM
It was me that made the original point. Years ago, I had a dispute with British Gas and vowed never to use them again. Because of this, I also stopped using the AA, as both companies were owned by Centrica at the time.
If Liverpool FC were really bothered about principle, and not just appeasing their fans by boycotting the bogeyman Sun, they would boycott all Murdoch companies. The Sun=Murdoch=Sky, dress it up however you like, but it's true.

Appeasing fans? Aye ok.

we can agree to disagree about both your points.

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2017, 12:10 PM

Talk about over thinking it,you really don't get it. The Eclipse the Sun campaign has lobbyed for many sectors to boycott The Sun including Liverpool City Council who have backed the campaign. As for simply appeasing the support, don't be silly.

JackLadd
11-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Why are we not banning the Daily Sevcord? Who cares about their pishy 150k circulation?

Keith_M
11-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Seems rather pointless almost thirty years later.

AngloHibs
11-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Talk about over thinking it,you really don't get it. The Eclipse the Sun campaign has lobbyed for many sectors to boycott The Sun including Liverpool City Council who have backed the campaign. As for simply appeasing the support, don't be silly.
I accept all of these points, but none of them explains why the boycott is ONLY against The Sun. The Sun is only one head of the multi-headed Murdoch dragon.
I understand that a club can't simply choose to ostracise Sky, due to contractual reasons. But presumably, out of principle, Liverpool FC were against the multi-million pound TV deal with Murdoch's Sky. They were against it, weren't they?

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2017, 07:37 PM
I accept all of these points, but none of them explains why the boycott is ONLY against The Sun. The Sun is only one head of the multi-headed Murdoch dragon.
I understand that a club can't simply choose to ostracise Sky, due to contractual reasons. But presumably, out of principle, Liverpool FC were against the multi-million pound TV deal with Murdoch's Sky. They were against it, weren't they?

For crying out loud, the issue is with The Sun newspaper why is that so difficult to understand?

lord bunberry
11-02-2017, 07:44 PM
The people of Liverpool have a grievance with the sun newspaper and have now chosen to ban them after a campaign to do so. It's also very recently that the victims of the tragedy in question received justice. I'm not really sure what's hard to understand in all this.

lord bunberry
11-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Almost thirty years later the lies printed at the time have been proven to be just that.

Future17
11-02-2017, 08:56 PM

Why? What point, that would have been valid thirty years ago (in your opinion), is not valid now?

monktonharp
11-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Can we do the same with daily ******of course we can, but if it's also the Sun I would be delighted. there Scottish football reports on Mondays used to be ok, but I can never actually buy one given their total lies and allegiance to Maggie Thatcher during the miner's strike. long time ago now, but some wont forget what they said about us.. cant ever buy it, read it or even cut it into wee squares for other uses. still see young plumbers/jiners etc with it on the dashboard of their vans and I am perplexed.

monktonharp
11-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Again, hopefully not caused any offence as know some on here were personally affected. I also don't pay much attention to who owns papers or who runs them, so may be being naive in thinking the current staff/setup weren't involved in the past.After reading your Niave comments, I would only suggest........get with the programme. ! they are a bunch of lying barstewards and have been for many years even before the Hillsborough disaster.they lied about the miners, they lied about the Liverpool dockers, they lied about the London dockers they lied about anyone who stood up to whatever the Tories wanted. they want to be the establishment, but they try to encompass the ordinary people by showing a tidy wee burd on page 3, with her t shirt off. young guys fall for it, but dinnae read what really is going on. said my piece on this, canny believe it is still in circulation. end of.

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Talk of Everton fans group urging them to do the same.

mca
11-02-2017, 10:20 PM

Pointless.. your a Fckin wind up merchant

monktonharp
11-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Seems rather pointless almost thirty years later.oh dear. so, if it was so long ago, and it was an absolute lie/travesty etc , who cares? :rolleyes: listen, just you buy your Sun on Monday morning as usual, and forget we even spoke of this.

Haymaker
12-02-2017, 12:02 AM

Exactly. IIRC the court case was a year ago so why now?

Unless I've missed something new... Why now?

Haymaker
12-02-2017, 12:04 AM
Pointless.. your a Fckin wind up merchant

Why? Why are they banning them now, a year after the court case proved the sun to be wrong?