PDA

View Full Version : Hibs and the Pogues book

G B Young
09-02-2017, 05:37 PM
I've missed this if it's been discussed on here already but anyone read this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hibs-Pogues-Calum-Bruce/dp/1910223859

Johnny Clash
09-02-2017, 06:22 PM

Bought a copy a couple of weeks ago. Just started reading it but looks ok. The author's previous book was mainly about the Pogues so this one more about supporting Hibs.

ekhibee
09-02-2017, 06:25 PM

looks fascinating, reminds of some brilliant days when I was a teenager: https://youtu.be/fvV5mryQF1I

G B Young
09-02-2017, 07:43 PM
looks fascinating, reminds of some brilliant days when I was a teenager: https://youtu.be/fvV5mryQF1I

A Pogues gig in the mid-80s was a phenomenal occasion.

Bishop Hibee
09-02-2017, 08:42 PM
A Pogues gig in the mid-80s was a phenomenal occasion.

Indeed they were. I saw them for the first time at Coasters in June '85 and the popularity of their music and live gigs had spread so much in 6 months that I saw them at The Playhouse in December '85. Always plenty Hibs fans in attendance. Gigs they played in Edinburgh always had a more mixed crowd than the Glasgow gigs which were Celtc fests.

ekhibee
09-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Indeed they were. I saw them for the first time at Coasters in June '85 and the popularity of their music and live gigs had spread so much in 6 months that I saw them at The Playhouse in December '85. Always plenty Hibs fans in attendance. Gigs they played in Edinburgh always had a more mixed crowd than the Glasgow gigs which were Celtc fests.
I was at that Playhouse gig, a very good and merry night was had by all!

G B Young
09-02-2017, 10:25 PM

Christmas '87 at the Barrowlands is one which sticks in my mind. McGowan just about made it through the gig, but Joe Strummer stepped up to give him a break by belting out London Calling and I Fought the Law, while they'd also just released Fairytale of New York so Kirsty MacColl was on stage too. As you say, bit like attending a Celtic match when it came to the crowd but it was a great way to welcome in Christmas.

HappyAsHellas
09-02-2017, 10:50 PM
The 85 gig at the Playhouse was brilliant. I'd been advised to get a ticket by a friend and we met at the pub just down the road. The ticket said it started at 8 and I said to my mate we were going to miss it as it was already about ten past. Nah, he said - that's them at the end of the bar. I watched in astonishment at the amount of alcohol being consumed by a group of people who looked more than slightly dodgy. We followed them out about 9 and it was mayhem in the finest sense of the word. Shane having a pee at the emergency exit, but the highlight was the accordian player who's false teeth landed on top of his instrument during some hectic jigging about. He scooped/sucked them back into his mouth and then done a brilliant impression of a crocodile flicking it's head backward to align it's prey before swallowing in order to get his teeth straight. Seen them at the barrowlands as well and nearly got a kicking for singing super Joe McBride instead of Mo Johnston - typical smelly gits.

Weej1875
10-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Thanks for this - two of my favourite things since I was a boy! Will definitely get a copy.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2017, 02:13 PM
The 85 gig at the Playhouse was brilliant. I'd been advised to get a ticket by a friend and we met at the pub just down the road. The ticket said it started at 8 and I said to my mate we were going to miss it as it was already about ten past. Nah, he said - that's them at the end of the bar. I watched in astonishment at the amount of alcohol being consumed by a group of people who looked more than slightly dodgy. We followed them out about 9 and it was mayhem in the finest sense of the word. Shane having a pee at the emergency exit, but the highlight was the accordian player who's false teeth landed on top of his instrument during some hectic jigging about. He scooped/sucked them back into his mouth and then done a brilliant impression of a crocodile flicking it's head backward to align it's prey before swallowing in order to get his teeth straight. Seen them at the barrowlands as well and nearly got a kicking for singing super Joe McBride instead of Mo Johnston - typical smelly gits.

The Stage Door. I was there too in that same boozer, Shane in a suit and silver tie and Cait looked stunning.. When they left so did we. Some night.

Eddie Burntool
10-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Hadn't even heard about it 'til now! Looks like a good read, think I'll pick up a copy. Cheers.

southsider
11-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Any bookshops in town selling it ?

Aalborg Hibs
11-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Pretty sure that Darryl Hunt (bass player after Cait left) is a Hibby, or at least has a soft spot for us. I have it in my head that I've seen him in an oldskool 60s/70s Hibs top one time. At one gig at the Barrowlands, he asked if there were any Hibs fans in the audience after a bunch of Celtc songs had been sung by the crowd :flag:

Although given how blootered I was at every Pogues gig I went to (lots), I could have imagined it.

patch1875
16-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Any verdict on it yet? I've downloaded it just about to start it.

jgl07
16-02-2017, 09:54 PM
I was at a gig in Barrowlands in the early 1990s. Unfortunately it was rather too late as Shane McGowan was too pissed to perform. He blundered about the stage swigging from a bottle of wine. He was usually two bars behind the rest of the band. The other band members stepped in to do the vocals.

Frankie Miller came on stage to do a number or two if I recall correctly.