PDA

View Full Version : Pitz at Portobello

Craig_HFC
09-02-2017, 05:17 PM
The council have put the land that the Pitz is situated on up for sale. There's a petition against it if anyone fancies signing it.

Would be a shame if it disappears.

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-edinburgh-council-stop-edinburgh-council-from-selling-off-the-5-a-side-pitches-at-powerleague-portobello

patch1875
09-02-2017, 05:22 PM
Isn't it because the company who currently leases it doesn't want to extend it due to the place needing a total refit.

Doubt anyone else would take it on.

Shame lots of good memories.

macca70
09-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Isn't it because the company who currently leases it doesn't want to extend it due to the place needing a total refit.

Shame lots of good memories.

Did they not relay the pitches not too long ago?

bingo70
09-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Shame, I heard that the power league were losing a fortune on it but don't really understand how, pitches always seem pretty full at nights and a lot of money being handed over with not a huge amount of outgoings.

The bar and function area was a bit **** right enough but I'd have thought there would be a way of seperating the two entities with the football area being so popular.

macca70
09-02-2017, 05:33 PM
It always seems to be quiet,

Think folk prefer the 6 or 7 a side style indoor pitches at world of soccer.

I always remember Pitz being quite pricey, not sure how much it is for a pitch at peak times these days.

It's a shame as wasn't that long ago the council also closed the indoor bowls centre down there.

lord bunberry
09-02-2017, 05:37 PM

I always remember Pitz being quite pricey, not sure how much it is for a pitch at peak times these days.

It's a shame as wasn't that long ago the council also closed the indoor bowls centre down there.
The indoor bowls place is now tumbles.

The_Horde
09-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Power league at sighthill is always busy. Must just be that one?

macca70
09-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Power league at sighthill is always busy. Must just be that one?

Porty's maybe busy midweek nights but weekends it's dead.

FastEddieFelson
09-02-2017, 06:35 PM
it's £60 an hour for one of the fives pitches, and £80 for the sevens at sighthill. pretty extortionate price for a game of football. i'd be amazed if powerleague were making big losses on it.

there was even a sign outside the sighthill branch saying they had started charging £1 to park your car in the car park.

MSK
09-02-2017, 06:52 PM

Shame lots of good memories.Had some great days down there, won a few leagues with Kings Park/Fc Franks, will be sad to see it turned into housing

MartinfaePorty
09-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Played in the first ever Saturday morning leagues there and have been a regular ever since. Much better since they relaid the pitches with newer synthetic turf a few years ago. Bar used to be rammed, especially when a big game was on, but no investment in the showers etc and I stopped going there for a drink about 15 years ago. I think the bar/function held a number of 18th parties, going by the noise I used to hear from my flat around midnight at weekends and the young folk I saw hanging around. More people drive now, so don't hang around for a drink and the leagues went downhill years ago due to a combination of other pitches available elsewhere, folk getting older and some nutter teams whom the ref was scared of. Still busy midweek and sometimes we struggle to get a pitch if leave it too late. Maybe bar could be revamped as a cafe or some such?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Brightside
09-02-2017, 07:36 PM
It needs a refit...and the chat is that power league have another side in mind in the east of edinburgh. It will be yet more flats in porty.

southfieldhibby
09-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Powerleague only 10 years into a 99 year lease, rent is a stupidly low £19,300 PA.
But they want out... a new site gets more funding than refurbish of existing one.
Council wants to sell, compensate Powerleague and use proceeds for Meadowbank.

Will be a disaster if gies ahead, there's a petition and any support would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franks
09-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Petition signed although I won't be playing there due to age.

gaz1875
09-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Just home from playing there, pitches are quite good for my level anyway just wish they had a roof, gets quite cold especially when mixed with horizontal rain :big grin: It is quite quiet though, and years ago I was sure some house builder was buying the land, never happened though.

gillythehibby
09-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Word is the council will sell the land and plough the money back into Meadowbank. The council's skint.

silverhibee
09-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Was only a couple of weeks ago that i noticed that WOF were building down at the old Civil Service club at Marine Drive.

Did Hibs ever consider having the training centre down there.

gillythehibby
09-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Word is the council will sell the land and plough the money back into Meadowbank. The council's skint.

son of haggart
10-02-2017, 12:14 AM
I'd sign to bring this back. Many happy days there in the 60s

http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2828606.1362845330!/image/2868542870.jpg

monktonharp
10-02-2017, 12:25 AM
I'd sign to bring this back. Many happy days there in the 60s

http://www.scotsman.com/webimage/1.2828606.1362845330!/image/2868542870.jpgI got scared when they put the wave machine on! Sad though that the council are determined to sell off anything they can. Can hardly find a public toilet these days, which is a disgrace . bus drivers/ taxi/general van drivers etc etc as well as the public and tourists cant find one and they have closed a major piss hoose at London Road !! If I need to go, I'll be doin it behind the building or in the bushes at the London Road bogs.!

silverhibee
10-02-2017, 12:47 AM
I got scared when they put the wave machine on! Sad though that the council are determined to sell off anything they can. Can hardly find a public toilet these days, which is a disgrace . bus drivers/ taxi/general van drivers etc etc as well as the public and tourists cant find one and they have closed a major piss hoose at London Road !! If I need to go, I'll be doin it behind the building or in the bushes at the London Road bogs.!

The waves were scary that's for sure, it was the rumours that folk were sticking razor blades on the slides with chewing gum that were more scary, good days back then,every Summer Portobello from one end to the other was always packed on the beach and promenade., used to love going on the trampolines when i went as a young lad, and a 99er was a must. :thumbsup:

1875STEVE
10-02-2017, 12:58 AM
used to play thereon Sunday's for years.

Sunday morning league in my teens/early 20's (with stinking hangovers) we were called Samba Soccer. We left after they gave another team the league title on goal difference, even though in the final game, we played them in a decider, the only turned up with 4 players, we ripped them apart, but we needed to win by 12 goals to win the league, when we went 10 in front before half way point they walked off. the punishment for walking off was a 10-0 defeat. so they won the league.

Went back a few years later with my works team. called Bridgend, named after an alley my RM delivery office was in - played in two good teams.

Used to love it there, my ankles don't agree now though!!

son of haggart
10-02-2017, 07:30 AM
I got scared when they put the wave machine on! Sad though that the council are determined to sell off anything they can. Can hardly find a public toilet these days, which is a disgrace . bus drivers/ taxi/general van drivers etc etc as well as the public and tourists cant find one and they have closed a major piss hoose at London Road !! If I need to go, I'll be doin it behind the building or in the bushes at the London Road bogs.!

There was a girl at our school (porty) who I am sure died when they were larking about on the raft, and it turned over and she got her leg trapped in the slats (at least that's how I remember the story going round Porty at the time - it may have been less dramatic than my memory tells me).

I remember going down there one hot summer and the Tremeloes 'Silence is Golden' playing on the tannoy; and the teenagers like an Elvis movie; the ice cream stand, and it seemed like paradise and my uncle dived from the top board to show off.

Ned Barney walking along the front in his trunks with his towel on his way to swim out to sea, and all seemed well with the world

(excuse me got a bit misty eyed there)

This is a great picture from 1958

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_g/0_buildings_-_portobello_open_air_bathing_pool_raft_1957-58_1024.jpg

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_a_o/0_around_edinburgh_-_portobello_outdoor_pool_looking_sw_miles.htm#08_d anny_callaghan

Bay Area Hibees
10-02-2017, 07:30 AM
Played mon night and sat mornings before moving to USA .
Noticed when back that its dead at weekends and looked pretty run down.
Not sure surface did me any favors, knees are knsckered.
We were runners up in a league, all the boys are older than 45 but we all have our wee trophies...sad but true !

tamig
10-02-2017, 07:52 AM
There was a girl at our school (porty) who I am sure died when they were larking about on the raft, and it turned over and she got her leg trapped in the slats (at least that's how I remember the story going round Porty at the time - it may have been less dramatic than my memory tells me).

I remember going down there one hot summer and the Tremeloes 'Silence is Golden' playing on the tannoy; and the teenagers like an Elvis movie; the ice cream stand, and it seemed like paradise and my uncle dived from the top board to show off.

Ned Barney walking along the front in his trunks with his towel on his way to swim out to sea, and all seemed well with the world

(excuse me got a bit misty eyed there)

This is a great picture from 1958

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_g/0_buildings_-_portobello_open_air_bathing_pool_raft_1957-58_1024.jpg

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_a_o/0_around_edinburgh_-_portobello_outdoor_pool_looking_sw_miles.htm#08_d anny_callaghan

Great stuff SOH. I only experienced a few years of the outdoor pool in the 70s before it closed. Port Seton pond was my local outdoor swimming/larking about facility and although it lasted a few years more than Porty it's long gone now. Such a shame we don't have anything like these now - although the youth of today would no doubt complain about them being too cold.

Iggy Pope
10-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Won umpteen very early 90s Saturday morning titles there with Cambridge, playing alongside such luminaries as Alex Cropley and Lee Currie's auld man Tam! ::greengrin
Be a shame to see it go.