PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Carriagies

et vireta
09-02-2017, 01:06 PM
When watching the 7 nil game you see the little light blue invalid carriages on the track pitchside.

For the life of me I have no recollections of these vehicles at ER. I might just be mistaken though.

What I do remember though is if you were watching a game at Ibrox and the away team scored with not long to go and it looked game over (and defeat for Rangers) it was like the start of an F1 race !

surreyhibbie
09-02-2017, 01:11 PM
When watching the 7 nil game you see the little light blue invalid carriages on the track pitchside.

For the life of me I have no recollections of these vehicles at ER. I might just be mistaken though.

What I do remember though is if you were watching a game at Ibrox and the away team scored with not long to go and it looked game over (and defeat for Rangers) it was like the start of an F1 race !

Yup, I remember them at ER. used to be quite jealous on a cold or rainy day, these guys were warm and dry!

NthCarolinaHibs
09-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Back in the day,the boy I worked beside had one...used to get a lift back from the boozer in his at lunchtime....sitting on the floor...Crazy days....

confused
09-02-2017, 01:31 PM
They used to go into the ground between the stand and the cowshed .

howdenthehibby
09-02-2017, 01:33 PM
I cant remember seeing them At Easter Road either , surely there has to be some footage somewhere if they were.

mim
09-02-2017, 02:21 PM
I cant remember seeing them At Easter Road either , surely there has to be some footage somewhere if they were.

The old Pathe newsreel films were always taken from the stand side, so you wouldn't see the invalid cars.
There will probably be some still photos showing them, tho.

tamig
09-02-2017, 03:23 PM
Wee bit of background for the younger readers;

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Gone for a decade: The invalid carriage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-23061676

GreenLake
09-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I know this is not the same three wheeler but worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Stantons Angel
09-02-2017, 03:54 PM
i seem to recollect them being on that wee bit o land between the old main stand an the old shed!

jacomo
09-02-2017, 03:58 PM

Gone for a decade: The invalid carriage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-23061676

Why were they inside football stadiums tho? Could users literally drive to their seat?

Viva_Palmeiras
09-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Did appreciate the drawn out joke about the rabbit teaching his mate how to cross the road at night by lining up your nose in between the headlights then duck at the right moment - only for his mate to then try it get squished and then sigh "well that was a bit unfortunate - dont normally get many Robin Reliants round these parts..."

jst1875
09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Why were they inside football stadiums tho? Could users literally drive to their seat?

The user watched the game seated inside their wee blue carriage!

jdships
09-02-2017, 04:10 PM
They used to go into the ground between the stand and the cowshed .

Absolutely correct : they were in front of what used to be the " Police Control Box" and there was a a gate to allow them quick entry and exit to the ground

Moulin Yarns
09-02-2017, 04:15 PM

The car was their seat, they were all cosy, warm and dry while we mere mortals were standing out on the open terracing in the driving rain more often than not.

This shows the cars at Celtic Park

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/KH-UihX-No_QJASuVMuRQQ117328 (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiW2f-3tIPSAhXJtxQKHQLjCDEQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecelticwiki.com%2Fpage%2FSu pporters%2B-%2BDisabled%2BSupporters&psig=AFQjCNEQlJDK7gr8hYBSx_qZL-K-I7sBjA&ust=1486743275656244)

scooby
09-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting that tamig, I'd forgotten all about them, but I feel really old now!

green leaves
09-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Is an invalid carriage the same as a hearts supporters bus?

where'stheslope
09-02-2017, 06:51 PM
I remember them well.

Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden, because of the running track around the pitch they always seem to have loads of the wee blue invalid cars around the pitch.

Eyrie
09-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Not exactly relevant to where the cars were in the ground, but wasn't there a garage for them off Rossie Place?

CRAZYHIBBY
09-02-2017, 09:30 PM
They were called thundersleys invicars or something....there was one in my street when i was a kid and the local neds kept tipping it over

jacomo
09-02-2017, 10:50 PM
The car was their seat, they were all cosy, warm and dry while we mere mortals were standing out on the open terracing in the driving rain more often than not.

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/KH-UihX-No_QJASuVMuRQQ117328 (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiW2f-3tIPSAhXJtxQKHQLjCDEQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecelticwiki.com%2Fpage%2FSu pporters%2B-%2BDisabled%2BSupporters&psig=AFQjCNEQlJDK7gr8hYBSx_qZL-K-I7sBjA&ust=1486743275656244)

:aok:

iwasthere1972
09-02-2017, 10:53 PM

Good job we didn't have them at THE cup final back in May. Ripped up the pitch good style and bumper cars with the Huns version 2.

ozwoody
10-02-2017, 05:48 AM
Back in the day,the boy I worked beside had one...used to get a lift back from the boozer in his at lunchtime....sitting on the floor...Crazy days....

My Dad had one and when i was a kid he used to give lifts to me AND my sister in it! I stood and she sat on floor.
He was on the door at st marys,star of the sea for years and used to drive back at the end of the night,past the police station on way home, lucky no RBTs were around then.
Wouldn't pass safety nowadays are they were just thin fibreglass shells and no steeering wheel, it was a handlebar where you pushed down to go and released to stop.
Thanks for the memories, hes been gone a long time but I still miss him every day

et vireta
10-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanks to all for sharing input and the memories !

:flag:

offshorehibby
10-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Not exactly relevant to where the cars were in the ground, but wasn't there a garage for them off Rossie Place?

The electrical firm i served my time with (Eastern Electric Service) also had a mechanics shop and they had the contract for repairing them. They were on Norton Park just off Rossie Place.

Greenworld
10-02-2017, 07:33 AM
The electrical firm i served my time with (Eastern Electric Service) also had a mechanics shop and they had the contract for repairing them. They were on Norton Park just off Rossie Place.
I worked there too they also fixed wheelchairs and invalid three wheeler bikes...

They were called thundersleys invicars or something....there was one in my street when i was a kid and the local neds kept tipping it over

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

offshorehibby
10-02-2017, 09:33 AM
I worked there too they also fixed wheelchairs and invalid three wheeler bikes...

I started my time there in '78, left about '83 and back again about '86 to '90. John Smith was in charge of the mechanics shop.

Greenworld
10-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I started my time there in '78, left about '83 and back again about '86 to '90. John Smith was in charge of the mechanics shop.
I would know u then yes John ran that side of things

Eyrie
10-02-2017, 07:58 PM

Cheers - that must be what I'm thinking about.

SquashedFrogg
10-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Loving this thread :top marks

Proper, good old fashioned nostalgia

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 10:10 PM

Same happened in our street.Unfortunately shortly after they started tipping it they learned that it was being driven by The on-leave Royal Marine son of the owner.Blood and snotters everywhere(not his).

where'stheslope
11-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Same happened in our street.Unfortunately shortly after they started tipping it they learned that it was being driven by The on-leave Royal Marine son of the owner.Blood and snotters everywhere(not his).

It would not happen today!

Nowadays all the big semi-off roaders are used as Disability cars, as they are the only ones to afford them, with Government funding????

Flanny boy
11-02-2017, 02:19 PM
My old man would have worked there at that time if you look at my username you will probably know who I mean

offshorehibby
11-02-2017, 02:24 PM
My old man would have worked there at that time if you look at my username you will probably know who I mean

Was he a spark (Hugh by any chance)

Flanny boy
11-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Was he a spark (Hugh by any chance)

Yes thats him he still goes to all the home games

offshorehibby
11-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Yes thats him he still goes to all the home games

Was Hughies apprentice for a couple of years still blether to him in the East.:thumbsup:

Flanny boy
11-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Was Hughies apprentice for a couple of years still blether to him in the East.:thumbsup:

Ah sound.i was going to ask who you were but if you still see him at games then good stuff.ggtth

weecounty hibby
11-02-2017, 04:38 PM
It would not happen today!

Nowadays all the big semi-off roaders are used as Disability cars, as they are the only ones to afford them, with Government funding????

Not sure where you're going with that one but we as a family have a Mobility car due to my daughters disability. I would swap the car and any money we get for my wife, who had to give up her job to become a full time carer, for my daughter to be fit and healthy!!!! I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the people in the same situation would be the same. We had two cars and two decent wages when my wife was working, now we have one decent wage plus a payment that is about one third of what my wife was earning 10 years ago. So the Mobility vehicle is invaluable to us as a family. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here but it really winds me up when I hear stuff like that. Car or health? It's a no brainer!!

where'stheslope
11-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Not sure where you're going with that one but we as a family have a Mobility car due to my daughters disability. I would swap the car and any money we get for my wife, who had to give up her job to become a full time carer, for my daughter to be fit and healthy!!!! I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the people in the same situation would be the same. We had two cars and two decent wages when my wife was working, now we have one decent wage plus a payment that is about one third of what my wife was earning 10 years ago. So the Mobility vehicle is invaluable to us as a family. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here but it really winds me up when I hear stuff like that. Car or health? It's a no brainer!!

Sorry, you miss interpreted what I was saying.

I was commenting on the fact that before they could overturn the old three wheeled vehicles.

Now a days if you look at any disabled parking bay most of the cars are semi-off roaders, and I realise that they are the choice because of space allowed with door openings and boot space.

weecounty hibby
11-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Sorry, you miss interpreted what I was saying.

I was commenting on the fact that before they could overturn the old three wheeled vehicles.

Now a days if you look at any disabled parking bay most of the cars are semi-off roaders, and I realise that they are the choice because of space allowed with door openings and boot space.
No probs, maybe the bit about the government funding and 4 ???? Just confused me

InchHibby
11-02-2017, 05:08 PM

I worked there also and I remember the van driver Mr Gillon saying to me before he took me to the site I was to work on, you may be called back at anytime to work on these cars.
I'm sure the site I worked on was at the top of Annandale Street.

offshorehibby
11-02-2017, 05:12 PM
I worked there also and I remember the van driver Mr Gillon saying to me before he took me to the site I was to work on, you may be called back at anytime to work on these cars.
I'm sure the site I worked on was at the top of Annandale Street.

Good chance it was Standard Life, we used to do a lot of work for them and they had offices about there.