PDA

View Full Version : Enclosing the corners of the stadium?

GreenCastle
08-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Would it be possible for Hibs to extend the advertising in the corners of all the stands and bring it higher up giving a more enclosed feel and also mean less wind?

Maybe in years to come we may see the corners filled in or the space used for standing / seating / hotel / community centre etc but until then worth exploring ? (Obviously main aim is still promotion).

Another issue which could be improved is recycling of rubbish at games. The club should encourage fans to put rubbish in bins after the game rather than just leave it under a seat or for it to float onto the pitch or attract those pesky seagulls !

Andy74
08-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Would it be possible for Hibs to extend the advertising in the corners of all the stands and bring it higher up giving a more enclosed feel and also mean less wind?

Maybe in years to come we may see the corners filled in or the space used for standing / seating / hotel / community centre etc but until then worth exploring ? (Obviously main aim is still promotion).

Another issue which could be improved is recycling of rubbish at games. The club should encourage fans to put rubbish in bins after the game rather than just leave it under a seat or for it to float onto the pitch or attract those pesky seagulls !

I'm assuming they are high as they are allowed to be which is why we have tried to extend height with the flags? Don't know anything about these things but had assumed the temporary nature led to some restrictions in the height which these things can stand at.

California-Hibs
08-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Aaah the yearly fill the corners in thread. Love it! I particularly like the outstanding images some provide us with as a taster of what could (not for a long long time) be.

GreenCastle
08-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Aaah the yearly fill the corners in thread. Love it! I particularly like the outstanding images some provide us with as a taster of what could (not for a long long time) be.

Ha! Easter Road is a fantastic stadium but do we know if there are planning restrictions to extend the advertising in the corners ? I like the flags and the views to Arthur Seat etc but I think it would improve the stadium.

They can add another scoreboard to the Famous 5 stand while they are at it. Getting a sore neck looking to the left from the east stand trying to figure out how long we have to get an equaliser / winner against Away teams who sit in.

Smartie
08-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Yearly?

It's mentioned every other day.

I cannot understand the fascination people have with "filling the corners".

It can only really be put down to some bizarre form of Stockholm syndrome, where in being held hostage by Rod Petrie for so long we crave ever more bizarre and obscure infrastructure projects to amuse ourselves with.

Our stadium is top notch exactly as it is and doesn't need any further work done on it. That could not have been said when I started going to Easter Road in the early 90s.

Let's focus our attention on the playing side, getting promoted and then firmly establishing ourselves in the Premier once we get back up.

Only then should the talk of filling in corners, club sex swings and helipads be dusted off again.

Peevemor
08-02-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm assuming they are high as they are allowed to be which is why we have tried to extend height with the flags? Don't know anything about these things but had assumed the temporary nature led to some restrictions in the height which these things can stand at.

I doubt there will be any planning restrictions due to the height of the stands just beside the panels. The force of the wind and the structure required to resist it is the main consideration. Massive panels = massive sails.

grammyb111
08-02-2017, 10:52 AM
I doubt there will be any planning restrictions due to the height of the stands just beside the panels. The force of the wind and the structure required to resist it is the main consideration. Massive panels = massive sails.

I seem to remember thing being the reason mentioned before, not sure if that was 'official' or not though.

GreenCastle
08-02-2017, 11:03 AM

That's what I thought about wind but surely they could be made so they are bolted on to the side of the stands ?

Peevemor
08-02-2017, 11:16 AM
That's what I thought about wind but surely they could be made so they are bolted on to the side of the stands ?

The transparent cladding on the side of the FF & North stands was added as an afterthought, therefore the structure would have been calculated for the wind loads for this alone, not for supporting anything extra in the corners.

I'd imagine the gables of the East will be similar.

Andy74
08-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Yeah that's what I meant!

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2017, 11:39 AM
Yearly?

It's mentioned every other day.

I cannot understand the fascination people have with "filling the corners".

It can only really be put down to some bizarre form of Stockholm syndrome, where in being held hostage by Rod Petrie for so long we crave ever more bizarre and obscure infrastructure projects to amuse ourselves with.

Our stadium is top notch exactly as it is and doesn't need any further work done on it. That could not have been said when I started going to Easter Road in the early 90s.

Let's focus our attention on the playing side, getting promoted and then firmly establishing ourselves in the Premier once we get back up.

Only then should the talk of filling in corners, club sex swings and helipads be dusted off again.

I agree that ER is a great stadium as it is .... certainly better than anything outside of Glasgow.

But we would be short sighted not to recognize that it has the potential to be a fantastic stadium .... it will not reach that potential until the corners are filled in to bring the stadium together and IMO the roofs of the east, FF and south stands extended by a few metres.

These are projects for a time when we have the money, for example through some sort of commercial partnership or we sell the new Messi for £40,000,000 ...... or I win £140,000,000 on the Euromillions :greengrin

What we must not lose sight of is that the attitude of this club on 'or off' the park cant be that of sufficient is good enough when the potential is there to make things better than sufficient and that includes our stadium .... we must always have ambition when it comes to all aspects of the club.

Lago
08-02-2017, 11:48 AM
He is talking about the advertising hoarding, not more stands. Do pay attention.

northstandhibby
08-02-2017, 12:30 PM
I'm all for filling in the corners. A design for an architect shouldn't be too much of a hurdle as it could be designed in such a way to let the wind pass through with a slatted type material fixed on a steel type structure or secret pockets installed at strategic points.

I'm quite sure a decent design could be produced that would look good and allow the wind to pass through it. It's amazing what architects can do these days.

glory glory

ALF TUPPER
08-02-2017, 12:31 PM
Big screens would be a great addition .
No idea of costs. But, would add to match day experience IMO 😊

seanshow
08-02-2017, 02:13 PM
The full screens are out of the question due to price,
I think the club should at the very least repeat what is in place at the east corners...with a big access door at the South/West corner for maintenance and ground work.
The price will already be know as the work has been carried out previously both ends of the east stand.

GreenCastle
08-02-2017, 04:01 PM
The full screens are out of the question due to price,
I think the club should at the very least repeat what is in place at the east corners...with a big access door at the South/West corner for maintenance and ground work.
The price will already be know as the work has been carried out previously both ends of the east stand.

Agreed.

Wonder what the cost would be ?

Double the size also and I'm sure if wind was an issue vents could be put in place to avoid any issues.

Any of the IT experts able to do a mock up ?

Keith_M
08-02-2017, 06:24 PM
I like the open corners and think it would ruin the look of the stadium if they were filled in.

mca
08-02-2017, 09:15 PM
The Corners need to be open to allow Airflow and Sunlight in..

Once the Corners are filled - we will need Expensive New Lights to help the "Grass" Grow .. :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I like the open corners and think it would ruin the look of the stadium if they were filled in.

Though I hate to use the place for a comparison do you think Ibrox looked better or worse after the corners were filled in?

I think ER would look fantastic if the corners were filled in properly with buildings .... sooner the better for me.

GreenLake
09-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Maybe fill in one side first to see how it works. Here is a stadium design with just two corners filled in (https://archpaper.com/2017/01/new-renderings-los-angeles-football-club-stadium/#gallery-0-slide-0), although the opposite side corners are kind of half filled in but not covered.

Phil MaGlass
09-02-2017, 01:29 PM
i think if we merged all the fill in the corners threads they would probably be longer than the huns thread:greengrin

GreenCastle
09-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Maybe fill in one side first to see how it works. Here is a stadium design with just two corners filled in (https://archpaper.com/2017/01/new-renderings-los-angeles-football-club-stadium/#gallery-0-slide-0), although the opposite side corners are kind of half filled in but not covered.

While that would be nice - I still think a more simple solution can be found in the short term.

Just think about the stadium without the panels on the side and then think without the wooden parts between east and north / south.

Now imagine these higher and how the stadium would feel and look at a fraction of the cost.

Anyone have any thoughts whether the recycling idea could work at home games ? Or will fans continue just to drop litter for the seagulls / to blow onto pitch?

InchHibby
09-02-2017, 06:56 PM
I'd love to see the corner between the Famous Five and East filled in specifically for a singing/standing area. I reckon this area would be fill every home game and the atmosphere generated would be terrific.
We can all dream.

hibby6270
09-02-2017, 11:55 PM
I'm afraid filling in the corners, especially both ends of the East, will probably never happen.
2 main reasons and pretty important ones when you think about it:
1) prohibitive cost
2) we don't have planning permission (yet - if ever!!)

When we built the new East Terrace, we already had planning agreed. This was granted before the flats behind the East were built and legally once these flats were built there could be no objections to the East being built from the residents of these flats. We waited to the last minute before the planning was due to expire (5 or 7 years after planning granted - can't recall) as that allowed the club to go ahead without any new objections from the folk in the flats.

I suspect if we were to apply for permission to fill the corners in, there is every likelihood that there would be objections from these residents at the very least. Possibly others, although the landscape around ER (apart from the flats) hasn't changed that much since back then 10 years ago.

Of course, never say never, but because of the above highly unlikely.:boo hoo:

monktonharp
10-02-2017, 12:20 AM
I'm afraid filling in the corners, especially both ends of the East, will probably never happen.
2 main reasons and pretty important ones when you think about it:
1) prohibitive cost
2) we don't have planning permission (yet - if ever!!)

When we built the new East Terrace, we already had planning agreed. This was granted before the flats behind the East were built and legally once these flats were built there could be no objections to the East being built from the residents of these flats. We waited to the last minute before the planning was due to expire (5 or 7 years after planning granted - can't recall) as that allowed the club to go ahead without any new objections from the folk in the flats.

I suspect if we were to apply for permission to fill the corners in, there is every likelihood that there would be objections from these residents at the very least. Possibly others, although the landscape around ER (apart from the flats) hasn't changed that much since back then 10 years ago.

Of course, never say never, but because of the above highly unlikely.:boo hoo:one end of the East, cant see a particular problem, near the FF . near the Dunbar end, they did that funny wee angled section for a reason did they not fill in the silly open ends please .if it means allowing more in for big games, at the away end so what. more money from big games

hibby6270
10-02-2017, 12:56 AM
one end of the East, cant see a particular problem, near the FF . near the Dunbar end, they did that funny wee angled section for a reason did they not fill in the silly open ends please .if it means allowing more in for big games, at the away end so what. more money from big games

That's as maybe but still think the folk in the flats would have a big say in the decision.
From where I sit in West Upper, I can see through the gaps at either end of the East and can clearly see the flats. Now I'm not saying they would object because the can't see on to the pitch but building something that is going to possibly block light into their flats could be a factor.

I say this from experience. Where I live had a building across the street that was to be converted to flats. As the building was already there, not a lot we could do about it. Then half way through the work, they decided to knock the whole building down and start again. For this couple of years we had no building blocking the sunlight it was great but we knew that eventually we would go back to having less natural light coming in to our flat once the flats were built.

I guess what I'm saying is that the folks in the flats might think the same way and not want their limited sunlight blocked out any more by new buildings/structures going up directly in front of them. They'd have the opportunity to object for that reason, something that they didn't have the option to do when the East Terrace was built.

BTW, I don't live in these flats.:greengrin

JackLadd
10-02-2017, 01:54 AM
I can see the attraction and benefits in it, getting the capacity to 25k and making it fully enclosed, but we're just back to getting the crowds we got ten years ago. I'd rather we spent on the park.

Keith_M
10-02-2017, 06:13 AM
Though I hate to use the place for a comparison do you think Ibrox looked better or worse after the corners were filled in?

I think ER would look fantastic if the corners were filled in properly with buildings .... sooner the better for me.

Sorry, I couldn't find the smiley for 'I'm not really taking this discussion seriously after the 346th thread discussing it'

:wink:

Greenworld
10-02-2017, 06:39 AM
I understand plans have been drawn up for various works as part of the game changer thing this may involve corner filling in at FF end as health surgery are meant to take over FF or at least 1 floor.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
11-02-2017, 07:34 AM
I understand plans have been drawn up for various works as part of the game changer thing this may involve corner filling in at FF end as health surgery are meant to take over FF or at least 1 floor.

As we have enough space for two large Bars in the FF, as well as the executive boxes, wouldn't that mean there's similar (unused) space available in the South Stand?

Greenworld
11-02-2017, 07:38 AM
As we have enough space for two large Bars in the FF, as well as the executive boxes, wouldn't that mean there's similar (unused) space available in the South Stand?
Yes but it is the away end and not really suitable ...the East however may through up solutions

offshorehibby
11-02-2017, 08:12 AM

I know a chunk of the south is already taken up by office space mainly used by the Hibernian Community Foundation.

Bostonhibby
11-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Our ground is miles ahead of most. Getting us there and paying for it all ourselves took a toll on the team on the pitch. It's now time for any money we have to go there and ram home any longer term advantage we have.

Maintenance aside let's leave infrastructure as it is for a bit.

Unless it's the much dreamed of helicopter pad.

Keith_M
11-02-2017, 08:47 AM
I know a chunk of the south is already taken up by office space mainly used by the Hibernian Community Foundation.

Ah, so less space than I thought.

Cheers.

offshorehibby
11-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Ah, so less space than I thought.

Cheers.

I know it's been talked about before but we have a fair bit of unused potential in the shell of the East.

Greenworld
11-02-2017, 09:38 AM
I know it's been talked about before but we have a fair bit of unused potential in the shell of the East.
There was talk of hotel accomoadtion in the East....premier Inn

NAE NOOKIE
11-02-2017, 10:09 AM

Pretty sure the east was built with the idea being that a first floor could be added if required .... if the FF is given over to other projects then it probably wouldn't be too difficult to build a new supporters bar there, though I've no idea what that would cost, but that throws up a question.

Hibs got involved in all these community projects because amongst other things they felt that Easter Road ( like many stadiums ) was being under used and that it would be a good thing to give it over to projects that would benefit Leith and the surrounding area, which is great. But I'm not sure in what way this particular project involving the FF stand is going to benefit Hibs.

This initiative was announced months ago and as yet the club have made no announcement as to what the end game is, or how it will affect the fans ...... if its not going to affect the fans on a Saturday or mean changes to the stadium then why don't they just come out and say so? ...... If it is going to affect the fans then surely its time Hibs got round to answering the following questions:

Q ...... Will this initiative mean the supporters bars in the FF will be done away with?

Q....... If the answer is yes, do Hibs intend to site new supporters bars elsewhere in the stadium, or indeed create a new structure between the FF and the east to house a new bigger fans bar?

Q....... If the answer is yes, who is going to carry the cost for that? .... are the bodies using the FF going to pay rent for it and if not why on earth would Hibs enter into a community project that is going to cost the club the considerable amount of money it will take to build new bars elsewhere in the stadium?

Q ...... If Hibs do not intend to replace the FF supporters bars how can we justify the loss of income, not to mention the loss of a part of the matchday experience which is clearly popular with many supporters?

Like most fans ( not all ) I have a great deal of interest in all aspects of the club and the lack of any information coming out of Easter Road regarding something that was announced ages ago is quite frankly doing my bloody nut in :grr:

thebausburst
11-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Will never fill the corners in as it simply does not make economic sense for the club, reality is we hardly ever sell out as it is.

Dashing Bob S
11-02-2017, 12:22 PM
No sense in taking any action till Hearts manage to cram enough seats into their sardine can to get over the 20.000 mark.

Fill in one corner to take ours to 21,500 just to demoralize the inadequate Gorgie size divas.

Harpandcastle
11-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Was there no truth in the stories on here a few months back that said there would be advances in the Gamechanger programme with a NHS link up that would lead to further redevelopment / upgrading of parts of the stadium?

NAE NOOKIE
11-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Will never fill the corners in as it simply does not make economic sense for the club, reality is we hardly ever sell out as it is.

Its not about increasing the capacity ..... its about enclosing the stadium to bring it together and hopefully improve the atmosphere, in fact I would say that every second post on the many threads on this subject acknowledges that fact ..... anybody posting to say 'we will never fill in the corners because we don't need the extra capacity' is either severely limited in their imagination as to what can be done or just hasn't bothered to read any of the other posts on the thread.

Nae offence

GreenCastle
11-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure the east was built with the idea being that a first floor could be added if required .... if the FF is given over to other projects then it probably wouldn't be too difficult to build a new supporters bar there, though I've no idea what that would cost, but that throws up a question.

Hibs got involved in all these community projects because amongst other things they felt that Easter Road ( like many stadiums ) was being under used and that it would be a good thing to give it over to projects that would benefit Leith and the surrounding area, which is great. But I'm not sure in what way this particular project involving the FF stand is going to benefit Hibs.

This initiative was announced months ago and as yet the club have made no announcement as to what the end game is, or how it will affect the fans ...... if its not going to affect the fans on a Saturday or mean changes to the stadium then why don't they just come out and say so? ...... If it is going to affect the fans then surely its time Hibs got round to answering the following questions:

Q ...... Will this initiative mean the supporters bars in the FF will be done away with?

Q....... If the answer is yes, do Hibs intend to site new supporters bars elsewhere in the stadium, or indeed create a new structure between the FF and the east to house a new bigger fans bar?

Q....... If the answer is yes, who is going to carry the cost for that? .... are the bodies using the FF going to pay rent for it and if not why on earth would Hibs enter into a community project that is going to cost the club the considerable amount of money it will take to build new bars elsewhere in the stadium?

Q ...... If Hibs do not intend to replace the FF supporters bars how can we justify the loss of income, not to mention the loss of a part of the matchday experience which is clearly popular with many supporters?

Like most fans ( not all ) I have a great deal of interest in all aspects of the club and the lack of any information coming out of Easter Road regarding something that was announced ages ago is quite frankly doing my bloody nut in :grr:

I think Hibs will update soon.

I like the idea of more community usage of the stadium - I have no issue of the famous five being used for this.

I would really like them to do more in the east or in between the stands (currently a car park for players cars).

A better bar that attracts fans to the stadium earlier should be built where food and drink can be bought at fair prices. Should be an adult only bar / family area and kids zone.

Hopefully we hear more in near future.

ColinNish
11-02-2017, 02:01 PM
That's as maybe but still think the folk in the flats would have a big say in the decision.
From where I sit in West Upper, I can see through the gaps at either end of the East and can clearly see the flats. Now I'm not saying they would object because the can't see on to the pitch but building something that is going to possibly block light into their flats could be a factor.

I say this from experience. Where I live had a building across the street that was to be converted to flats. As the building was already there, not a lot we could do about it. Then half way through the work, they decided to knock the whole building down and start again. For this couple of years we had no building blocking the sunlight it was great but we knew that eventually we would go back to having less natural light coming in to our flat once the flats were built.

I guess what I'm saying is that the folks in the flats might think the same way and not want their limited sunlight blocked out any more by new buildings/structures going up directly in front of them. They'd have the opportunity to object for that reason, something that they didn't have the option to do when the East Terrace was built.

BTW, I don't live in these flats.:greengrin

I doubt the owners would be bothered, most of the flats are buy to let.

NAE NOOKIE
11-02-2017, 02:08 PM
I think Hibs will update soon.

I like the idea of more community usage of the stadium - I have no issue of the famous five being used for this.

I would really like them to do more in the east or in between the stands (currently a car park for players cars).

A better bar that attracts fans to the stadium earlier should be built where food and drink can be bought at fair prices. Should be an adult only bar / family area and kids zone.

Hopefully we hear more in near future.

Pretty sure the upstairs bar in behind the goals is adults only mate ..... yippee Falkirk have just scored :greengrin

Onceinawhile
11-02-2017, 02:12 PM
The corner between the east and North is to be sold off as far as I'm aware.

GreenCastle
11-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Pretty sure the upstairs bar in behind the goals is adults only mate ..... yippee Falkirk have just scored :greengrin

I was talking about a new bar - catering for all.

We do agree on similar points though and lack of any recent communication.

NAE NOOKIE
11-02-2017, 02:37 PM

No problem with Hibs doing this ...... but we simply must ensure that anything built in that gap is the same height or taller than the two stands and its walls are incorporated as the end walls of the FF and East stands. The whole point is to bring the stadium together and just chucking up some random structure in the gap that doesn't blend in with and compliment the stadium would be a huge error IMO.

I remember going to the consultation meeting about the new East stand and though I was a wee bit concerned about how far back from the touchline it was going to be I was OK with it ...... what I didn't realise was that the length of it was going to leave it yards short of the front rows of the FF and South stands, the result being that the FF and South stands look slightly ( hugely if you listen to Yams ) detached from the body of the stadium, which like it or not denies the ground the enclosed feeling it would definitely benefit from.

I would hate to see any new building fail to address that issue, which is why I have strong feelings about anything Hibs build, or allow to be built, in the FF / East corner.

Billy Whizz
11-02-2017, 02:40 PM

What could go in there?

LeazesHibs
11-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Something like this maybe? Real Oviedo have found an interesting solution to the 'corners' issuehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/woody_/15466329535

(all credit to the owner of the photograph)

lord bunberry
11-02-2017, 04:49 PM
What could go in there?
I'm sure that's where the health centre is going to be. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that it wasn't going to cost us any money as we were selling the land to pay for it.

Onceinawhile
11-02-2017, 06:24 PM
What could go in there?

Not idea. It's just what I was told.

GreenLake
11-02-2017, 06:55 PM

Who to and for how much?

Carheenlea
11-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Watching Sportscene it looks like a structure of some sorts is being erected in one of the corner's at Dunfermline's East End Park (the visitors end/main stand)
It's a pitch they need first - goalmouth is like the Somme.