PDA

View Full Version : Biggest sway?

Viva_Palmeiras
07-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Sorry kids you dunno what you missed.

Before the Hillsborough etc. and Taylor report "sways"'were a common occurrence. A surge in the crowd in adulation of a goal. With it without th crush barrier.

Probably the one of biggest sways you might witness on telly is penalty en route the the World Cup against Wales.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foXf3n1Mv0I

What was your biggest sway with the Hibs?

Memory is a bit ropey but I reckon maybe Darren Jacksons Goal V Dundee United at Tynie - a belter it was too. Them were the days!

lord bunberry
07-02-2017, 06:54 PM
The equaliser at park head in the league cup final against the Huns. It was utter madness for around 5 minutes after the goal. I was up the back when the goal went in and finished off at the front.

stantonhibby
07-02-2017, 06:59 PM
The equaliser at park head in the league cup final against the Huns. It was utter madness for around 5 minutes after the goal. I was up the back when the goal went in and finished off at the front.

Very true....Remember it well.

Carheenlea
07-02-2017, 07:09 PM
The sways were not just reserved for goals - a bad challenge from an opposition player had tightly packed crowds surging in the direction of the incident. The goal celebrations were great though - often resulting in lost trainers and flying specs. While we still have the terraces at some of the venues in this league, it's a million miles away from the experience of Hearts, The Old Firm and, during the days of the casual scene, Aberdeen. Great days!

BH Hibs
07-02-2017, 07:14 PM
2nd goal v Anderlecht at ER remember one guy trying to hold on to us then gave up as me and my mates began our journey down the East.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-02-2017, 07:17 PM
The sways were not just reserved for goals - a bad challenge from an opposition player had tightly packed crowds surging in the direction of the incident. The goal celebrations were great though - often resulting in lost trainers and flying specs. While we still have the terraces at some of the venues in this league, it's a million miles away from the experience of Hearts, The Old Firm and, during the days of the casual scene, Aberdeen. Great days!

True - when Robbo scored against us at ER in the 1st game after FTBs attempt at a takeover.

keep the faith
07-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Archie goal at tynecastle. Bedlam.

stantonhibby
07-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Souness red card was a good one

Keith_M
07-02-2017, 07:23 PM
George Best's goal against Celtc in 1980

Elephant Stone
07-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Don't know if you'd call it a 'sway' but the old East used to look unreal from the West when it was packed and we scored in a big game. Riordan's derby goals in particular stick in my mind as causing some utter bedlam.

jabis
07-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Archie goal at tynecastle. Bedlam.

Only time I went to that place😁

HoboHarry
07-02-2017, 07:45 PM

Before the Hillsborough etc. and Taylor report "sways"'were a common occurrence. A surge in the crowd in adulation of a goal. With it without th crush barrier.

Probably the one of biggest sways you might witness on telly is penalty en route the the World Cup against Wales.

Memory is a bit ropey but I reckon maybe Darren Jacksons Goal V Dundee United at Tynie - a belter it was too. Them were the days!
I wasn't in the end where the goals were scored but I was there boyo....what a night that was but too old for that ***** now :greengrin

Ryan69
07-02-2017, 08:05 PM

Is that the one Donkey Dave scored for us?

Is It On....
07-02-2017, 08:15 PM

Archibald's goal at the PBS 🙂. At ER it was when the copycat greens threw a CS Gas Canister at us (I remember it was the week after the Enniskillen bombing and they were waving I#A banners) I actually ended up on the pitch so clearly lucky I wasn't arrested for potentially threatening Sellick players.

jacomo
07-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Don't know if you'd call it a 'sway' but the old East used to look unreal from the West when it was packed and we scored in a big game. Riordan's derby goals in particular stick in my mind as causing some utter bedlam.

True. I missed the pre-Hillsborough terrace days but those wee bus stop seats in the East were no good at keeping people in place. Definitely a few goals where I ended up several rows away from my seat.

erin go bragh
07-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Keith Keith Keith goal in the semi v old Rangers on our way to winning the 91 cup . Total carnage .

SteveHFC
07-02-2017, 09:18 PM
Robertson's and Stevenson's goals against Sevco at Ibrox 2 years ago. Utter bedlam for both goals.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2017, 09:18 PM

One of my earliest memories of a football match.

We were crammed into that area behind the goals like sardines. There's footage on youtube and you can see how packed it is, and how mental it was when we scored.

erin go bragh
07-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Archibald's goal at the PBS 🙂. At ER it was when the copycat greens threw a CS Gas Canister at us (I remember it was the week after the Enniskillen bombing and they were waving I#A banners) I actually ended up on the pitch so clearly lucky I wasn't arrested for potentially threatening Sellick players.

I ended up on the pitch also . Couldn't fen breathe. I ran towards the canister as I thought a fight was on the cards :) Then had to do a fosbery flop over the fence and try and breathe through the grass .
We were winning 1-0 at the time , then ended up losing 2-1 .

monktonharp
07-02-2017, 09:33 PM

Memory is a bit ropey but I reckon maybe Darren Jacksons Goal V Dundee United at Tynie - a belter it was too. Them were the days!:agree: was at both games you mention. the Annfield one was more memorable though. sheer bedlam when King Kenny scored!. I also have a bad memory about just before the match..... Horse mounted Polis man wanted to see my ticket, did not have one at that point and could not show one. he grabbed my tartan scarf and dragged me about ten feet, the Nazi barsteward. still got in though:greengrin

FC Leige
07-02-2017, 09:40 PM
The first derby after the Mercer takeover attempt was a swayfest for 45 minutes. The first half was mental with huge sways every time anything happened. Hibs fans fighting amongst themselves, fighting with the police and stewards, fans on the pitch, fans trying to get on the pitch and just general mayhem

Argylehibby
07-02-2017, 09:57 PM
2nd goal v Anderlecht at ER remember one guy trying to hold on to us then gave up as me and my mates began our journey down the East.

The one in Anderlecht when Jackson scored was a belter too. Almost needed the passport to get back in!

ancient hibee
07-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Kinloch's penalty against Barcelona.

Davie Wilson's goal against England at Hampden.

lord bunberry
08-02-2017, 12:52 AM
Is that the one Donkey Dave scored for us?
It was.

lord bunberry
08-02-2017, 12:56 AM

We were crammed into that area behind the goals like sardines. There's footage on youtube and you can see how packed it is, and how mental it was when we scored.
I saw a guy that day that was so drunk he couldn't stand up. He was just being held up by the fact it was so tightly packed. Every time the crowd moved a bit he would nearly fall over.

tanfield
08-02-2017, 04:27 AM
Jackson winner against Dundee United at Tynecastle c. 1993 is my most memorable. Me and my mate were standing halfway up the corner terracing and afterwards I was at the back and he was at the front.

Jim44
08-02-2017, 05:47 AM

This. I've never been more uncomfortable in a crowd at a Hibs game and my son, 13 at the time was terrified.
There was quite a sway high up on the East Terracing when Bobby Duncan scored the opener against Napoli in 1967.
The biggest and most frightening sway(s) I've experienced at a game (non Hibs) was standing in the Cop at Anfield in a match between Liverpool and Sunderland in 1965. It was crazy.

Carheenlea
08-02-2017, 06:26 AM
The first derby after the Mercer takeover attempt was a swayfest for 45 minutes. The first half was mental with huge sways every time anything happened. Hibs fans fighting amongst themselves, fighting with the police and stewards, fans on the pitch, fans trying to get on the pitch and just general mayhem

:agree: The most poisonous atmosphere I've experienced, and as you say, just general mayhem.

Gettin' Auld
08-02-2017, 08:03 AM

There was quite a sway when that 'band' reached our end at half time too......

HibbySpurs
08-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Although not technically a "sway" as there were seats down by this point I'll never forget the utter carnage in the east when we levelled the euro tie against AEK in 2001... the place went berserk, ended up about 10 rows further forward, mate cracked a rib and all sorts...

Stoney Hibee
08-02-2017, 11:29 AM

I had an incident of flying specs at the League Cup semi at Tynecastle against Dundee United (in 1993?) - got them back though! I also seem to remember a proliferation of green glowsticks at that game?

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Absolutely this ..... we were packed in like bloody Sardines and it was bedlam when that goal went in, for a few minutes I got to know what it must have been like to be one of those screaming wee lassies that went to Bay City Rollers and Osmonds concerts, it was like some sort of mass hysteria.
I've never seen that matched until our winner on 21/05/16 .... folk were falling over each other, over seats and everything it was mental !!!

Apart from that Berwick Rangers was probably the dodgiest when the sway made a wall collapse and folk ended up spilling onto the speedway track .... lucky nobody was seriously hurt that day.

O'Rourke3
08-02-2017, 01:16 PM
At Parkhead vs Los Huns in that Final too. I must have bounced 30 or 40 yards from my mates. Only found them on the bus going home

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Fanforlife
08-02-2017, 02:28 PM
:agree: was at both games you mention. the Annfield one was more memorable though. sheer bedlam when King Kenny scored!. I also have a bad memory about just before the match..... Horse mounted Polis man wanted to see my ticket, did not have one at that point and could not show one. he grabbed my tartan scarf and dragged me about ten feet, the Nazi barsteward. still got in though:greengrinCan sort of remember that happening Wullie, bus fae the Jewel and stop of for a small libation in Lancaster! 😀🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

Fife-Hibee
08-02-2017, 02:30 PM
There was quite a sway when that 'band' reached our end at half time too......

We were going f...ing mental at that haha

Ayrshire Hibbie
08-02-2017, 02:54 PM
I think the derby game at Easter Road in 1961 or 1962. A record crowd attendance. As a young lad I was standing near the back of the old east when there was a sway, my feet left the ground and I ended up with a good view much further down!