PDA

View Full Version : NHC Walking football Galashiels

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Any Borders Hibbies looking in please note that Gala Fairydean Rovers host walking football sessions at Langlee community centre on Mondays and Thursdays 2:30pm to 4:00pm and an evening session at the games hall Galashiels Academy every Wednesdays 6:00pm to 7:30pm. All welcome, even Yams and Huns :greengrin

If yer from or near Kelso they have a walking football team, I think they have a facebook page with times and venue. If yer frae Hawick they are in the process of trying to form a team, but its like drawing teeth, bloody bufters :greengrin

Admins ....... please feel free to move or delete this, but I would appreciate it if you could leave it up for a few days please.

Golden Bear
07-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Any Borders Hibbies looking in please note that Gala Fairydean Rovers host walking football sessions at Langlee community centre on Mondays and Thursdays 2:30pm to 4:00pm and an evening session at the games hall Galashiels Academy every Wednesdays 6:00pm to 7:30pm. All welcome, even Yams and Huns :greengrin

If yer from or near Kelso they have a walking football team, I think they have a facebook page with times and venue. If yer frae Hawick they are in the process of trying to form a team, but its like drawing teeth, bloody bufters :greengrin

Admins ....... please feel free to move or delete this, but I would appreciate it if you could leave it up for a few days please.

The oldies play each Friday afternoon in Peebles.

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2017, 06:02 PM

Yup ... apologies to Peebles, I forgot about them.

The only towns that have teams so far are Peebles, Gala and Kelso ....... The Kelso one is doing well with decent numbers. The Gala one is hugely successful so far as daytime numbers go with up to 20 players registered, which is why we have started evening sessions for folk who are still working full time but would like to play ..... if we can get 20 during the day the thinking is we could do just as well at night.

Ability or lack of it doesn't matter, though we do have some decent players .... its all about having fun and some decent piss ups, with the possibility of trips to play in Europe, we've already done Portugal :greengrin

Anyway .... I would appreciate it if anybody reading this thread can pass the message on to folk they think might be interested .... if its for the Kelso and Peebles teams I'm sure I can get contact details for them.

PS ..... The usual age cut off date for tournaments is 50 and over, but most teams will accept folk of any age or sex ... they just wont be able to play for their club in 'most' organised tournaments if they are under 50.

cmcd
07-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Yup ... apologies to Peebles, I forgot about them.

The only towns that have teams so far are Peebles, Gala and Kelso ....... The Kelso one is doing well with decent numbers. The Gala one is hugely successful so far as daytime numbers go with up to 20 players registered, which is why we have started evening sessions for folk who are still working full time but would like to play ..... if we can get 20 during the day the thinking is we could do just as well at night.

Ability or lack of it doesn't matter, though we do have some decent players .... its all about having fun and some decent piss ups, with the possibility of trips to play in Europe, we've already done Portugal :greengrin

Anyway .... I would appreciate it if anybody reading this thread can pass the message on to folk they think might be interested .... if its for the Kelso and Peebles teams I'm sure I can get contact details for them.

PS ..... The usual age cut off date for tournaments is 50 and over, but most teams will accept folk of any age or sex ... they just wont be able to play for their club in 'most' organised tournaments if they are under 50.

Apologies accepted . Peebkes play at 3pm on Fridays and are off to the Algarve in October .

The_Exile
08-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Walking football really seems to be taking off and it's great to see. I'm only in my early 30's but have had awful shin splints issues during the past 2- 3 years and have taken part in a few walking football activities, it's absolutely brilliant.

ACLeith
08-02-2017, 03:34 PM
Interesting that you say the age is 50+ the TV advert looks more like 70+

cmcd
08-02-2017, 04:02 PM

All the Peebles guys are at least 60

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2017, 04:31 PM

Grrrrrrrr ....... Dinnae get me started on that advert, as you say it gives the impression of a load of dottery auld fuds stumbling about after the ball and probably does more to put folk off as it does to attract them.

The truth is that most teams are made up of players between 50 and mid 60s and the games these days ( especially in tournaments ) are pretty energetic and ultra competitive ..... at last years tournament at Spartans there were quite a few towsy matches and in the finest traditions of Ayrshire fitba a fight even broke out in the game between Ayr and Prestwick :greengrin

I'm not of course condoning such behaviour, but its a reflection of the competitive spirit in which games can be played ..... there are players who are clearly not able to handle the physical side and in such situations allowances are always made to ensure they can still play without some over zealous guy knocking them over.

Anyway ...... I've heard some folk knock the idea of walking football, not least of all me when I was first asked to play, but after nearly two years playing it I've yet to meet anybody who after taking it up decided it wasn't for them ..... you still need all the skills you did to play 'normal' football, in fact to a degree your passing needs to be more accurate, its not like you can sprint after a misplaced pass.

In short .... dinnae believe what you see on the telly :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Apologies accepted . Peebkes play at 3pm on Fridays and are off to the Algarve in October .

If that's Browns walking football tournament its really good .... take a decent keeper, the goals are like shinty goals and if you have a decent keeper you wont lose many ... we lost one from open play in 6 matches :greengrin

Billy Whizz
08-02-2017, 04:46 PM
If that's Browns walking football tournament its really good .... take a decent keeper, the goals are like shinty goals and if you have a decent keeper you wont lose many ... we lost one from open play in 6 matches :greengrin

My friend played for Hearts in the tournament in October

ACLeith
08-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Grrrrrrrr ....... Dinnae get me started on that advert, as you say it gives the impression of a load of dottery auld fuds stumbling about after the ball and probably does more to put folk off as it does to attract them.

The truth is that most teams are made up of players between 50 and mid 60s and the games these days ( especially in tournaments ) are pretty energetic and ultra competitive ..... at last years tournament at Spartans there were quite a few towsy matches and in the finest traditions of Ayrshire fitba a fight even broke out in the game between Ayr and Prestwick :greengrin

I'm not of course condoning such behaviour, but its a reflection of the competitive spirit in which games can be played ..... there are players who are clearly not able to handle the physical side and in such situations allowances are always made to ensure they can still play without some over zealous guy knocking them over.

Anyway ...... I've heard some folk knock the idea of walking football, not least of all me when I was first asked to play, but after nearly two years playing it I've yet to meet anybody who after taking it up decided it wasn't for them ..... you still need all the skills you did to play 'normal' football, in fact to a degree your passing needs to be more accurate, its not like you can sprint after a misplaced pass.

In short .... dinnae believe what you see on the telly :greengrin

The last time I played I was mid-50s. I sat in the dressing room delighted I had survived without tweaking anything. It was normal fitba mind. I said that my body was telling me something

The walking game was probably not around back then. Now late 60s and probably daft to think of starting up again mind you it would be nice to show the young pups in their 50s a thing or two!!!

NAE NOOKIE
08-02-2017, 10:11 PM
The last time I played I was mid-50s. I sat in the dressing room delighted I had survived without tweaking anything. It was normal fitba mind. I said that my body was telling me something

The walking game was probably not around back then. Now late 60s and probably daft to think of starting up again mind you it would be nice to show the young pups in their 50s a thing or two!!!

One of our best players is 70 years old mate, he gives guys 10 years younger than him a run for their money ..... puts me and lots of our other guys to shame, its never too late :greengrin

cmcd
09-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Yes it's the Brown's Looking forward to it .11 of us going .Ages from 60 to 70 . Bring it on 😎😎

Billy Whizz
09-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Yes it's the Brown's Looking forward to it .11 of us going .Ages from 60 to 70 . Bring it on 😎😎

Brian Kilcline, ex Newcastle played in last years event

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2017, 10:34 AM

Its a good tournament mate ....... The complex is a wee bit out of town so you will need a taxi if you want to go there, the food is OK unless like me you don't like rice, there was quite a lot of that ... imagine my disappointment the day the main meal was rice based and the pudding was rice pudding :confused: .......... managed to get a cheeseburger in town the next day though :thumbsup:

We got to the semis and lost on penalties ... we didn't take the 3rd / 4th playoff too seriously and got beat 1 - 0 .... we wish we had when we realised there was a trophy for 3rd :confused:

Good luck to your team :aok:

wearehibernian
09-02-2017, 10:55 AM

Would you have a contact for the Peebles guys? I'm in my mid 40s but did my knee a while back and haven't played 5s in a few years, probably for the best. Would love to give this a try though.
Maybe you can pm me if you know who organises it etc. Cheers in advance.

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Would you have a contact for the Peebles guys? I'm in my mid 40s but did my knee a while back and haven't played 5s in a few years, probably for the best. Would love to give this a try though.

Sure I can find out mate ...... It might take me a couple of days but I will get back to you :aok:

In the meantime if you want to give it a go with Gala the times are in my OP :greengrin

Carheenlea
09-02-2017, 12:51 PM
A PM to the poster cmcd, who posted on this thread, should be able to point you in the right direction. I'm from Peebles myself, but don't know who runs the walking football.

cmcd
09-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi Wearehibernian. Our guys range from 60/70 but I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind if you want to come along . I will speak with them tomorrow and get back to you

cmcd
09-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Its a good tournament mate ....... The complex is a wee bit out of town so you will need a taxi if you want to go there, the food is OK unless like me you don't like rice, there was quite a lot of that ... imagine my disappointment the day the main meal was rice based and the pudding was rice pudding :confused: .......... managed to get a cheeseburger in town the next day though :thumbsup:

We got to the semis and lost on penalties ... we didn't take the 3rd / 4th playoff too seriously and got beat 1 - 0 .... we wish we had when we realised there was a trophy for 3rd :confused:

Good luck to your team :aok:

Thanks for that info I'll eat anything 😁😁

wearehibernian
09-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Hi Wearehibernian. Our guys range from 60/70 but I'm sure the guys wouldn't mind if you want to come along . I will speak with them tomorrow and get back to you

Cheers cmcd, look forward to hearing back from you!
And cheers to the other helpful folk too, may try and make it down to Gala at some point as well.

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2017, 04:23 PM
And cheers to the other helpful folk too, may try and make it down to Gala at some point as well.

Always welcome mate :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Hi cmcd ......... If you are able to put Wearehibernian in touch with the Peebles lads I will take a back seat on it, can you confirm you have things in hand please, cheers :aok:

cmcd
09-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi cmcd ......... If you are able to put Wearehibernian in touch with the Peebles lads I will take a back seat on it, can you confirm you have things in hand please, cheers :aok:

I will be with the guys tomorrow NN so no problem

NAE NOOKIE
09-02-2017, 06:00 PM
I will be with the guys tomorrow NN so no problem

:aok:

cmcd
10-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Have sent you a pm .Could you let me know if you receive it Cheers

wearehibernian
10-02-2017, 05:43 PM
That's great again for all your efforts, I did get a PM from NN but don't seem to have cmcd. Will check in a wee while or just drop you a line instead.

cmcd
10-02-2017, 05:48 PM
That's great again for all your efforts, I did get a PM from NN but don't seem to have cmcd. Will check in a wee while or just drop you a line instead.

Spoke to the guys today and the guys are happy for you to come along to the Drill Hall in Peebles at 2-30pm on 24th Feb Cheers