PDA

View Full Version : Who on here was at the 7-0 game?

G B Young
06-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Following the 8-1 win over Bonnyrigg in the last round there was a lot of talk about it being the second time we'd won by seven goals at Tynecastle and it rekindled memories of being a kid at my aunt and uncle's house for a party on New Year's Day 1973. It was a party which got a lot livelier once the Hibs-supporting family members who'd been at Tynecastle got back from the game :greengrin

Who on here was lucky enough to have actually been at the game that day?

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Me.:thumbsup: We used to pump them all the time in them days, it was just a bigger margin than normal.:top marks

Golden Bear
06-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Me. However I missed the first 3 goals because of delays at the turnstiles. The game will be etched in my memory banks forever!

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Following the 8-1 win over Bonnyrigg in the last round there was a lot of talk about it being the second time we'd won by seven goals at Tynecastle and it rekindled memories of being a kid at my aunt and uncle's house for a party on New Year's Day 1973. It was a party which got a lot livelier once the Hibs-supporting family members who'd been at Tynecastle got back from the game :greengrin

I was baby-sitting out at Greendyke Gardens, Niddrie and didn't know the score until I heard a bunch of guys outside singing out loudly " 7-Nil, 7-Nil!" I rushed out onto the balcony and asked them "who to?" "The mighty Hibees!" they chorused back. I yelped and whooped and shouted something like "Hallelujah!" A great memory of an unforgettable New Years day result - The greatest in derby history - embarrassing them on their own sacred patch:flag:

ACLeith
06-02-2017, 08:24 PM
Me as well. The best hangover cure ever invented 😀

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2017, 08:24 PM
moi, on my auld mans shoulders, couple of uncles as well, one of them being a jambo who saw fans fighting outside the turnstiles and vowed never to go back..he never did....2-0 before we even got in :( hibs and hearts fans mixed and sharing a 'dram' from each others bottles....couple of years later and starting going to games with the mates only these times were now watching out for the bottles getting chucked back and forth across the police line in that old tynecastle shed thingy.

:0:--:7: happy new year jamboids

Bostonhibby
06-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Was there with a few of my mates. Still got the programme.

Big L
06-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Me! Back to the Hibs club after the game, the place was buzzing. Apart from ALL the goals, my abiding memory is off the Crops performance, he made a total arse of Jefferies.

Sherlock Jones
06-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Me, with my Dad. I can't remember much of the actual game itself (watching the goals lots of times since has helped fill in the blanks though) but the atmosphere was incredible!

FC Leige
06-02-2017, 08:36 PM
The 6-2 game felt dreamlike. Christ knows what 0-7 must have felt like:flag:

Fanforlife
06-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Certainly was there,did not get in until we were two up though,still feel shortchanged 😁

Cheshire Hibby
06-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Me too. I was on the Bathgate and West Lothian Supporters Bus. I was opposite the main stand, close to the halfway line and close to the boundary wall in an unsegregated Tynecastle. We should have got more than 7. A superb team and a fantastic day.

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Me! Back to the Hibs club after the game, the place was buzzing. Apart from ALL the goals, my abiding memory is off the Crops performance, he made a total arse of Jefferies.

Pleasing :greengrin

The ultimate game for Hibs fans to have been at. I wasn't born, but I'm jealous.

Biggie
06-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Yep, went to the game with my dad and hearts supporting uncles.....said they'd take a nip after every Hearts goal.....lol

Jonnyboy
06-02-2017, 08:50 PM
I was there and have vivid memories of all seven goals :greengrin

Ronniekirk
06-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Was there as a Teenager The sight of 17 thousand or thereabouts hibs fans at Tyncastle and the swaying of the crowd Nostalgia
Although we regulary beat tesms by big scores that i didnt realise i was witnessing History in the making

Hiber-nation
06-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Me, near the front at the Gorgie Road end. Lost my mates in the ground but who cares. Thought we'd win easily but never expected that.

ACLeith
06-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Pleasing :greengrin

The ultimate game for Hibs fans to have been at. I wasn't born, but I'm jealous.

A pretty weak reason not to be there H&A. Not an über fan then? 😡

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2017, 08:58 PM
A pretty weak reason not to be there H&A. Not an über fan then? 😡

Part timer with nae commitment :agree:

H113EE5
06-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Mmeeeeeeee. Happy daze

c31
06-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Different times --- I was there and had my first taste of whiskey at half time from a older Hibby, who was passing his bottle around, I was 12. Remember getting home, and as usual the family were having their new year meal and in these days scores weren't as readily available as now a days, where I happily inform the family and one old jambo uncle of the score, he didn't believe me!!
I'm sure the highlights were on at 7pm, where he soon found out & the party seemed to go on for days, but with out him...

greenpaper55
06-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Me, with two mate who shared the whiskey every time we scored ! strange thing about the game was we could have been 2-0 down before we scored.

Ringothedog
06-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Was at the game, what a tremendous time it was to be a Hibs supporter.By the time I was nineteen I had only seen "them" beat us once.

ballengeich
06-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I recall walking towards the ground and remarking to a friend that with the Celtic game off a five goal win would put us top. I thought I was jesting:greengrin

cmcd
06-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Me, with two mate who shared the whiskey every time we scored ! strange thing about the game was we could have been 2-0 down before we scored.

Missed the first two goals .Remember Hearts fans leaving as we were going in

Onion
06-02-2017, 09:15 PM
I was there. Apart from the obvious, two things that still stick in my mind was Hearts missing a really good chance to open the scoring, and coming home after the match to my pals house and failing miserably to convince his folks that Hibs won 7-0. For hours they thought we were on the wind up. Today, football news is wall to wall, multi media and instant. Then it was the radio and Pink News.

dchibs
06-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Me, with my Dad. I can't remember much of the actual game itself (watching the goals lots of times since has helped fill in the blanks though) but the atmosphere was incredible!

Me too my dad his pal and son and my jambo brother went by car, my brother split from us before the game but saw him before half time when he left the ground 5-0 down.He met up again for a lift home and no doubt took a fair bit off stick on the way home GGTTH.

Tom Hart RIP
06-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I was in the Hibs singing section around the half way line. Got hit on head with a golf ball before game started. Luckily it had hit a couple of heads before mine which had taken the speed off it.
After that I got hold of a hard hat, painted it green and wrote hibs on it.
Cant understand how I didn't attract more women????

Monktonhall 7
06-02-2017, 09:19 PM
I was there. My first derby at Tynie. It didn't seem a big deal at the time, I just thought beating them 7 nil was just what we did. I remember walking into the enclosure below the main stand, seeing that sign, beware of pickpockets, and spent the entire match with my hands stuffed in my pockets protecting my Xmas money. The day was rounded off by being home in time to watch it all again on Sportscence, which I'm sure was on at 7 o'clock.

Aubenas
06-02-2017, 09:20 PM
I was there. Opposite the edge of the penalty area on the Wheatfield Terrace at the Gorgie Rd End. Remember it vividly.
As we queued to get in, a Hearts fan with a half bottle and two glasses walked along the line offering us a dram and saying cheers and Happy New Year.
Not sure he would have done that a couple of hours later!:greengrin

StevieT
06-02-2017, 09:21 PM
I was there with my dad. As we walked home I remember being asked by many people what the score was. No-one would believe the result so we told them to check the papers later. In those days there was no wall to wall coverage and many people were seen to be standing outside the telly shops waiting for the scores to come on

Tom Hart RIP
06-02-2017, 09:23 PM
It was a big deal obviously but our main rivals were Celtic. For the first 15 years of supporting Hibs 67/82 I only saw us get beat once by Hearts. Eddie T had some record against them.

greenpaper55
06-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Does being at the game accord us some sort of Hibernian royalty , i wonder what the count will be ?

oldbutdim
06-02-2017, 09:26 PM
I was there with a bunch of mates.
Straight from a night out - still wearing my green suit from Cowan Tailoring, with a half bottle of Smirnoff diluted with a bit of lime juice.

I remember at the end of the game a middle aged **** fan applauding the Hibs team with tears running down his face.

I felt quite sorry for him.

One of the above sentences may be a lie.

SON OF PADDY
06-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Me and my mate Stevie !!
Couple of young 14 year old's back then. We missed the first two goals as the que was so big for the wheatfield shed.

No segregation back then!
When we got in a older Jambo told us
" they where 2 up " I was gutted until a fellow hibby told us the real score!!

snooky
06-02-2017, 09:31 PM
As usual on NYD, we always went early to watch the players arrive.
I remember seeing Jim Cruickshank going in the players entrance with eyes like p!ssholes in the snow.
I thought "I hope he's in goals today". Unfortunately, he wasn't or the score might have been bigger.

ieastherein1973
06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Me, missed the first two goals due to turnstile congestion, happy days indeed

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

GreenLake
06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
I was away on a trip but got to see the look of disbelief on a couple of Jambo faces when the score was heard.

al1875
06-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Yes I was there with one Hibs supporting uncle and two hearts supporting uncles.
Can remember whisky being passed round all afternoon, but not to me although I did get a few sips of mcewans export and then
the walk back to my grans in whitsun
Happy days 😊

Biggie
06-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Different times --- I was there and had my first taste of whiskey at half time from a older Hibby, who was passing his bottle around, I was 12. Remember getting home, and as usual the family were having their new year meal and in these days scores weren't as readily available as now a days, where I happily inform the family and one old jambo uncle of the score, he didn't believe me!!
I'm sure the highlights were on at 7pm, where he soon found out & the party seemed to go on for days, but with out him...

Yeah I seem to remember sport scene being on early in those days too.
Good time to be a young hibee around those years (early seventies).....we pumped many teams under Turnbulls tornadoes ; league cup won, airdrie away 5-2, Ayr 8-1, euro nights, fc besa, sporting Lisbon, juventus all coming to ER.
Actually went to the next game at Tynie and the spanked us 4-1 ouch (can still see schaedlers own goal)

GORDONSMITH7
06-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Gorgie Road end. Splendid.

BIG G

3pm
06-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Gorgie Road end. Splendid.

BIG G

Nothing much splendid about Gorgie Road, G. ****hole.

ancient hibee
06-02-2017, 09:53 PM
I was in the enclosure about half way along towards the Georgie Road end so had a good view of the first five goals.Unusually I was there on my own and have three pals who talk about the game as if they were there when I know they weren't.Suspect at one time the number making that claim would have boosted the gate to about 100,000.That may have been the last derby without segregation,not sure.

Stantons Angel
06-02-2017, 09:55 PM
i was there and so glad i was too!
This was a real display on how to play football............. that team were absolutely Class!
We were packed into behind the goal where the Roseburn Stand is today. The atmosphere was brilliant and all the older supporters sharing nips after every goal we scored. I couldnt believe the score at full time but there has never been a game like it. till May 2016!

ACLeith
06-02-2017, 09:57 PM
I have a recollection of seeing the trailer for Scotsport later that night that talked about "a 7 goal thriller". I remember thinking that for hibees that didn't know the score they would breath easy when the 4th went in "great the worst it can be is 4-3".

Quickly followed by "brilliant, 5-2". Then "wow 6-1" till finally "OMG why did I listen to it her indoors and not go!!!"

CentreLine
06-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Yep I was lucky enough to be there with my cousin and my brother. It was my 14th birthday and we were in the enclosure right next to the tunnel. As the the players trooped off after their warmup before the game, in my youthful enthusiasm, I managed to grab Jimmy O'Rourke's attention and shouted we would score five. He laughed at me and said not a chance. Well I suppose he was right in a way.

Deansy
06-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Me.:thumbsup: We used to pump them all the time in them days, it was just a bigger margin than normal.:top marks

Yup - all done with no financial 'assistance' other than our own money and no claims of being a 'Big team' - we were just 'THE' team !

Deek9
06-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Me. However I missed the first 3 goals because of delays at the turnstiles. The game will be etched in my memory banks forever!

Yeah, also late getting in. I remember asking the score when I got in and it was already 2-0.

banchoryhibs
06-02-2017, 10:45 PM
I was standing at the wall leading up to the tunnel with my brother that great day but we were cuffing lots of teams by big scores so I did not really appreciate just how good the result really was. I seem to remember that we beat Ayr Utd 8-0 shortly before, I could be wrong.

One wee bit of trivia about that game: the referee should have been my PE teacher, Bill Mullen, but he was involved in a car accident a few days before whilst refereeing in somewhere like Brechin so was effectively substituted before the game began.

houstonhibbee
06-02-2017, 10:47 PM
I was there. My first derby at Tynie. It didn't seem a big deal at the time, I just thought beating them 7 nil was just what we did. I remember walking into the enclosure below the main stand, seeing that sign, beware of pickpockets, and spent the entire match with my hands stuffed in my pockets protecting my Xmas money. The day was rounded off by being home in time to watch it all again on Sportscence, which I'm sure was on at 7 o'clock.
Think my first derby at tynie was the cup game in 71 2-1 to Hibs.
I was 14 at the 73 7-0 game went with my Dad. He nudged me at some point and said enjoy it you won't see anything like this again. As with most 14 year olds and their Dad's I knew better............still waiting

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Does being at the game accord us some sort of Hibernian royalty , i wonder what the count will be ?

Nah mate .... what makes you Hibernian royalty is turning up at ER on a freezing cold February night in the pissing rain with 5,000 other hardy souls to watch Hibs play Ayr Utd in a dead rubber league match :cb

Toldo123
06-02-2017, 10:49 PM
My dad always says he remembers the hearts fans trying to got out at half time but they wouldn't open the gates for them 😀

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

snooky
06-02-2017, 11:19 PM

Not quite, BH. We got hammered 4-1 in the next game at Tynie (IIRC) AND it could have been a lot worse, believe me.

Dalkeith Boy
06-02-2017, 11:19 PM
I was there and still have the programme.

Is It On....
06-02-2017, 11:20 PM

No segregation as my dad tells me..

The Harp
06-02-2017, 11:23 PM
Nah mate .... what makes you Hibernian royalty is turning up at ER on a freezing cold February night in the pissing rain with 5,000 other hardy souls to watch Hibs play Ayr Utd in a dead rubber league match :cb
Seem to remember this game NN, freezing cauld and chucking it doon wi' rain, and very little cover (if any) in those days. Doesn't make me Hibernian royalty though - just auld!
As for the 7-0 game, I was in their enclosure that day toward the Roseburn end. There were about 6 of us, including my brother in law (a Glaswegian with a liking for the Huns), this was actually the last game he attended.

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2017, 11:38 PM
Seem to remember this game NN, freezing cauld and chucking it doon wi' rain, and very little cover (if any) in those days. Doesn't make me Hibernian royalty though - just auld!
As for the 7-0 game, I was in their enclosure that day toward the Roseburn end. There were about 6 of us, including my brother in law (a Glaswegian with a liking for the Huns), this was actually the last game he attended.

Yeh ha ha ....... I was in the old enclosure that night, I spent the evening talking to a wee guy from Nigeria I think he said who had came along out of curiosity .... it was unusual to see a black face at any game in those days, never mind one as unglamorous as that one :greengrin

Forza Fred
06-02-2017, 11:54 PM
I was there in the company of former HIbsclub notables Frank Dougan, Ronnie Ferguson and Ronnie Williamson.

Remember the ball being kicked into our group near the end and a tired and emotional Ronnie Ferguson refusing to hand it back ..'ma ba ma ba' was all we got out of him.

Eventually we prised the ball from Ronnie's grasp, the game was restarted, and at the full time whistle, it was all off to Frank Dougan's place in Colinton Mains for an after match drink.

Happy Days, which as you get older, you seem to recall more and more!

Forza Fred
06-02-2017, 11:57 PM
I was there and still have the programme.

I've got the programme cover framed on my study wall.

It shows Eddie Thomson, then Hearts captain in full aerial flight.

Eddie died a few years ago, and while he played for Hearts, he grew up as , and his family were, lifelong HIbbies.

madhibby
07-02-2017, 12:30 AM
Yes i was there as a 15 year old teenager.

My memories were of the pubs being shut (was that the case in New Years day then?) but lots of whiskey being passed around the terrace. I was in the Tynecastle School End. I remember vividly Pat Stanton’s run for Hibs sixth knocked in from point blank range by Jim O’Rourke

And at the end of the game having the pleasure to go home to see my Jambo brother and see how he enjoyed the day.

iwasthere1972
07-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Embarrassed to say that I wasn't there. No idea what the reason was for my absense. Think I remember seeing the final result on the telly about teatime and thought is that right.

houstonhibbee
07-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Yes i was there as a 15 year old teenager.

My memories were of the pubs being shut (was that the case in New Years day then?) but lots of whiskey being passed around the terrace. I was in the Tynecastle School End. I remember vividly Pat Stanton’s run for Hibs sixth knocked in from point blank range by Jim O’Rourke

And at the end of the game having the pleasure to go home to see my Jambo brother and see how he enjoyed the day.
Everything closed. No buses either.

iwasthere1972
07-02-2017, 12:54 AM

I'm sure there must have been buses. Can't remember having to walk to games even then as I lived miles from town. Trying to envisage 35,000 fans walking from allover Edinburgh, sometimes in the snow.

Forza Fred
07-02-2017, 01:27 AM

There WERE buses...distinctly remember the bus trip to Frank Dougan's.....we went there cos no boozers were open.

houstonhibbee
07-02-2017, 01:36 AM
There WERE buses...distinctly remember the bus trip to Frank Dougan's.....we went there cos no boozers were open.
very limited service then
4 to Oxgangs from Dalry road?

Forza Fred
07-02-2017, 02:07 AM
very limited service then
4 to Oxgangs from Dalry road?

Dunno, should have got the conductor's badge number too....still had them then, conductors that is.

Remember it because the conductor instituted a Hibs supporters upstairs' Hearts supporters downstairs' rule for the trip.

confused
07-02-2017, 05:32 AM
I was there ! One of the best days of my life ,

Hiber-nation
07-02-2017, 06:00 AM

There were definitely buses as I was on one....maybe not from Gorgie to Houston though :wink:

Kojock
07-02-2017, 06:43 AM
I was 12 years old and went with my dad, my brother was ill and wasn't allowed to go. Massive queues at the turnstiles at the Hibs end so we went round to the Hearts end which just happened to be the end we scored 5 in. Hearts fans piled their scarfs up on the terracing and set them alight at half time. Great memories. GGTTH

mjhibby
07-02-2017, 06:50 AM
My abiding memory of the game was the Hertz fans leaving at half time and the hibs fans in the asbestos stand singing paddy is the king while banging off the wooden stand. Just felt like another big win that season as we were scoring at an incredible rate then. I was only a wee guy so didn't realise how important the game would become and how just a mere mention of the no7 to Hertz fans has them frothing at the mouth.

Risboro Hibby
07-02-2017, 06:52 AM
Yes was there 16 year old at the time. Remembering after the game walking back from Gorgie to the West End all Hibs fans singing not a Jambo in sight. Most of them had given up at half time.

ajf
07-02-2017, 06:53 AM
I remember the headline in the daily ****** , HIBS SPREAD SOCCER STARDUST OVER TYNECASTLE iirc

ronaldo7
07-02-2017, 06:59 AM
I was there. Went along with a couple of mates, abiding memory is of yams leaving at 3 and 4 nil.

Back to the auld mans who was having a pairty full of hibs fans with a couple of yams thrown in, I can remember that he'd got a Keg of Export under the kitchen table. Happy Daze indeed.

Depor Hibs
07-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Although still at school, I was at the game with my older brother, a Jambo, in the main stand nearest the Gorgie Road end.
Don't remember a lot of the game but do remember a female Jambo fan who was sitting just in front of us throwing a bottle after another goal, maybe the fifth or sixth, and getting hauled out by the police.

To his credit my brother stayed to the final whistle. Mind you, he was meeting his friends, all Hibees too, in a flat in Gorgie where there was to be a party.
It was some party, well the bit I was allowed at!

jimbob07
07-02-2017, 07:32 AM

I too missed 1st two goals waiting at turnstiles . Remember the police saying hearts had scored twice only for me to see Hibs go 3-0 up as I got in. Walking along Georgie road after game I was approached by an old jamboree "what was the score son?" 7-0 for Hibs I replied to which he replied f*** off ya clown! Brilliant!

brog
07-02-2017, 07:35 AM
I was there, close to Aubenas it would seem! As other posters have said the pubs weren't open but there were definitely buses. We met in Ritz hotel pre game, now part of Hilton at Haymarket. I remember reading a report in the Daily Mail, only English papers were published, of our game vs Aberdeen. John Fairgrieve, a superb journalist & a Yam presciently stated, I fear for my team today! Re Bill Mullen, as another poster stated, he was involved in a car crash after reffing the Brechin game on the Saturday & was taken to Strathcathro hospital. I called the SFA to advise Bill couldn't ref on Monday. Before the game I was asking all my mates who the ref was & they were giving me dog's abuse for not knowing as there had been loads of publicity re Bill being the 1st Edinburgh(dalkeith) ref to officiate at the derby. When JPR Gordon ran out i got even more abuse!

greenpaper55
07-02-2017, 07:43 AM

Done all that for over fifty years thanks.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-02-2017, 07:46 AM
I went with a workmate and curiously stayed sober on Hogmanay (can't think why! :confused: ) we were at the school end where there were quite a few older yams with younger Hibs fans, banter turned sour and they were soon on they're merry way after the 4th, going to the loo at half time there was a fight with about 3/4 older yams trying to get out as the gates were shut.

An almost surreal experience but with that team we had I kind of expected to beat them handsomely but getting 7 (going on 10) was a real bonus.

My brother in law was having a party in Muirhouse that night but he wasn't a football man, however there were some older yams there and as the booze flowed the mood darkened and I got involved in a few war of words with a couple of them who were then flung out, you would never want to mess with my brother in law by the way :bye:

Never let them forget :not worth

Leith Mo
07-02-2017, 08:09 AM
I still remember why I wasn't there: watched Hibs demolish Ayr 8-1 the game before (Boxing Day?) aged 7 and told my Dad I loved Hibs (not for the first time!) & asked would he take me next week. He said "you know I don't take you to away games" so I said (at my uncle's prompting): "It's only Tynecastle" to which I was told: "You're not going near Hearts" so never made it. My Dad regretted not taking me until his dying days.

Tom Hart RIP
07-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Harry gilzean did a cartoon every week in the EN. The one after the 7-0 game ends with a Jambo sitting in his chair telling his wife "you don't understand. They will be talking about this in 30 years time"
You underestimated that Harry

surreyhibbie
07-02-2017, 08:17 AM
I was there. I remember talking to a Jambo mate from school ( I was 15) just before kickoff, and he asked if I thought there would be any fighting. I replied " No till hibs go 5-0 up"! he laughed and said no chance.

My uncle and Dad (non football fans) were driving past ****castle in a green car on the way to visit family when they stopped at traffic lights. Uncle wound the window down when he saw hordes of Jambos crossing the road. Laughing at a joke my Dad had made he shouted "what was the score lads?" to be met with a hail of abuse, stones and bottles.

Fortunately the lights changed and they got away, wondering what the aggro was all about. They found out later it was only half time and the manky lot were 5-0 down!

Back to another Uncles for a party afterwards, they asked me the score and I refused to tell them, just laughed. it was on the Telly and they kept saying "what, another one?" as the goals kept coming.

Happy days:greengrin:thumbsup:

hibeg
07-02-2017, 08:24 AM
I was there as a 12 year old with my dad. Stood down at the front opposite the main stand. What a day :agree:

Gettin' Auld
07-02-2017, 08:46 AM
I was there. Opposite the edge of the penalty area on the Wheatfield Terrace at the Gorgie Rd End. Remember it vividly.
As we queued to get in, a Hearts fan with a half bottle and two glasses walked along the line offering us a dram and saying cheers and Happy New Year.
Not sure he would have done that a couple of hours later!:greengrin

I was at the game, down near the front in the corner at the school end. We missed the first goal due to delays getting in.

It was great fun at the time, but it wasn't until much later that we realised just how historic that game would become.

Sharing oot the bevvy was fairly common at new year derbies back then, even with fans of the other mob as there was no segregation and mates of different teams all stood together. I remember being up town one hogmanay, crashing out somewhere, then trying to get down to Easter Rd with a mate for the new year derby. We both had Hibs scarves on and were drunkenly running along Bread St. We'd never have made the game if a taxi hadn't stopped and two yams waved at us to get in, or we'd miss the kick off. OK we split the fare with them, but that kind of thing would never happen now. They'd be banging on the taxi windows and giving it the middle finger instead.

That was pre 1st January 1973 though. :greengrin

Tom Hart RIP
07-02-2017, 08:48 AM
I think I'm right in saying it was a pay at the gate. No need to get tickets in advance.
Changed days

Gettin' Auld
07-02-2017, 09:27 AM
I think I'm right in saying it was a pay at the gate. No need to get tickets in advance.
Changed days

Aye there was no tickets. You just rolled up and paid to get in, using any terracing turnstyle as they all led to the same place anyway.

belhavenbill
07-02-2017, 09:31 AM
I went with some of my friends. We were at the School end, got there early but were separated in the surge after goal 3. Afterwards I went to my family who were visiting my great aunt at Polwarth. My dad who was a regular at Easter Road but refused to go to Tynecastle hadn't heard the score and wouldn't believe me when I told him. Some day! Almost as euphoric as the cup win.

madsen5
07-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I went with some of my friends. We were at the School end, got there early but were separated in the surge after goal 3. Afterwards I went to my family who were visiting my great aunt at Polwarth. My dad who was a regular at Easter Road but refused to go to Tynecastle hadn't heard the score and wouldn't believe me when I told him. Some day! Almost as euphoric as the cup win.
I was there at the school end fantastic, I remember walking back past haymatket on the edge of the road as I couldn't get on the pavement for the crowd when I was kicked on the back by a mounted policemen and told to get on the pavement. I wonder who he supported? :flag:

Bill Milne
07-02-2017, 09:47 AM
I was there, being 17 at the time. I was due to meet my uncle after the game (a jambo) , who had returned from New Zealand for the first time in 30 years. He had gone to the game with a few of his old Fountainbridge mates. When I finally met him, he had five bags with bottles of whisky in them. His Yam mates had ****** off at half time!! He wasn't impressed but was stunned at Hibs' display. He had already watched us beat the Sheep 3-2 and went on to watch us beat East Fife 1-0, the game where Onion broke his leg.

BurghHibby
07-02-2017, 10:18 AM
I was there with my pals aged 13 , missed the first (queuing to get in) and last (on deck pissing myself) goals.
Had a tenner bet, which was a fortune then, with my Hearts supporting Dad, never got it though!

howdenthehibby
07-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Not me ! I still wasn't allowed to go to Tynecastle or games against the Old Firm ( I was bloody 12 ) although my big brother , and my dad were there . Gits :grr:

stuart-farquhar
07-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Me. In the old enclosure. Happily i went with a sour pussed yam. Happily i left without him.

Killiehibbie
07-02-2017, 10:34 AM
My first game was just before that but wasn't allowed to go to that one, never really forgiven my mum.

WoreTheGreen
07-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Me. In the old enclosure. Happily i went with a sour pussed yam. Happily i left without him.

I was in the old enclosure with my dad and brother. Great day mybe a bit to young to fully apprieciate it. Remember watching spotsscene?and seeing us top of the league

bigwheel
07-02-2017, 10:51 AM
wasn't at the game - my Dad went but wouldn't take the young me...remember being delighted (and gutted) when he came back and told me the score..had really wanted to go.

I always get a feeling that many Hibs fans claim to have been there, who weren't actually. Is anyone big enough to admit they have been one of them? :greengrin

snedzuk
07-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Me - remember an older hearts fan saying to me at half-time (as he was leaving) 'I hope you go on and win the league'

Septimus
07-02-2017, 11:36 AM
I was there. After the game I had forgotten where I left my car and spent an hour or so risking bubonic plague as I walked round the area looking for it.

Seveno
07-02-2017, 12:04 PM
I was there with my brother. We were in the enclosure using complimentary tickets given to us by a Jambo. Seemed to make it even sweeter.

One disappointment was that Hibs eased up in the second half when we could have got into double figures.

The other disappointment was that the pubs were closed on New Years Day back then. It meant that we couldn't go back to our local and enjoy it with Hibby mates as well as winding up the Jambos.

H18S NX
07-02-2017, 12:29 PM
I was there,enjoyed the long walk back to Leith,happy days.

cs9
07-02-2017, 12:48 PM
I was there, all those years ago. Me and about 5 mates - some Jambos, some Hibees. No segregation then. I think it was already 2-0 when we finally got through
the turnstyles. I'm a Hibee, but was raised in Gorgie and christened in the church at the Gorgie Road end. I attended Tynie School with the likes of Eric Milligan, who,
despite contrary opinions, is a really good guy.

wandering_hibee
07-02-2017, 12:49 PM
I was 16 at the time and remember thinking at half time, could we possibly manage 10 as it was 5 that point. Glory days and I never thought I would see a Hibs win that would better that memory and then along came 21st May 2016

penihibs
07-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Remember it like yesterday, big group of us walking back to the southside letting everyone know we were kings of Edinburgh.

God bless the Hibs.

emerald green
07-02-2017, 01:23 PM
I had been at the Tron seeing in the New Year with a crowd of pals, and some of us went onto a party afterwards.

Walked to Tynecastle for the match, although that's a bit vague now. Hibs needed to win by six goals to go top of the league and duly obliged in emphatic fashion.

I remember walking along Gorgie Road and Dalry Road after the game with crowds of Hibs fans singing and dancing. Happy days.

A Hi-Bee
07-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Sublime football performance, we were just looking forward to double figures in the second half, but Hibs eased up a wee bit still SEVEN at the cesspit made it some New Years day.
We had a good few great results at the piggery and also remember a nice hat trick a few years before from the "Mighty" Pat Quinn in the summer sunshine as we gubbed them Four One, great days.
Also at the next game at the piggery after the 0-7 game, when we just did not turn up and they got four, but we knew that was a one off in them days, as we just dominated them.:flag::flag:

hibby6270
07-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Me. I've mentioned it before on the forum. I wouldn't have been there had it not been for the fact my auld man was on plain clothes duty that day in the crowd and "got me in" at the police entrance at the school end. While it was obviously great watching the goals go in, my main memory was seeing the old Wheatfield enclosure emptying out of Jambos from just before halftime. Might have been 36,000 in the ground at the start of the game. You'd be lucky if it was half that by full time.

heretoday
07-02-2017, 03:44 PM
I was there and right behind the goal at the School end of Tynecastle. We had to queue in unpleasant circumstances in that tunnel before finding our spots on the Terrace.
The thing was there were four of us Hibs and three of us Hearts.
But we had a laugh and a drink of whisky and that was it.
Can you believe that the next week it was all forgotten?

It's only in the last few Internet years that it's taken on big deal status.

Valencia
07-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Yep I was there behind the school end. Chant at half time "We hate the Hibees" I bet they did. My mum had won a Desperate Dan coo pie and I had a huge plateful when I got home. Then off to a party that ran oot of beer at 2 am - quick phone call to the wee shop round the corner and the guy opened up to serve us.

HappyAsHellas
07-02-2017, 03:58 PM
I was there - remember being in the gorgie end with a few mates form Leith, brilliant day out and the walk back to the family party in leith where no one would believe the score till one of my jambo uncles confirmed it with the sourest puss I ever saw on him. Happy days indeed, ruined only by the fact that at 13 I wasn't allowed a beer.

thebakerboy
07-02-2017, 04:24 PM
I was there and like many others only got in when the Jambos started leaving at 3 0 , had tried Gorgie Rd end and then went to other end where we got in. My old man met some guys he knew , mostly Hibees , and my brother in law and I had to more or less carry the auld yin along Melville Drive to my uncles house at Newington who as he was one of them was sitting with a dish towel over his head and a tray with 3 nips for us. What a day.

Feed McGraw
07-02-2017, 05:23 PM
I was there - 3 months short of my 17th birthday. There was a big squad of us there at the school end about half way up almost directly behind the goals. Included in the group were 2 Rangers fans, 1 guy who wouldn`t know a fitba if it hit him square in the pus ( mind you he also came with us to Wembley `77 - so he certainly picked the best games to go to :greengrin ) no jambos and about 6 or 7 fellow Hibbies - we were all good mates though. It was an amazing day, Hibs did seem to ease up a wee bit for whatever reason but it was a surreal feeling leaving that ground having beat them, no, annihilated them 7-0.

RoxburghHibs
07-02-2017, 05:36 PM
I was born a few days later. My middle name is Gordon after the 7th scorer 😁👍🏼

Famous Fiver
07-02-2017, 06:03 PM
I was there.

With a mixed group because segregation was years away.

Still enquire of one of my fellow attendees of the opposite persuasion if he is feeling any better. Still get the same silent scowl. 44 years and he still hasn't come up with a smart answer.

malcolm
07-02-2017, 06:24 PM
My dad took me which was a first and we were in the enclosure. He was a Hibs man but I'd not really been to many games other than a few Hearts games when my Hearts supporting maternal grandfather came through from Glasgow and took me a couple of times. Heck I can remember a vague liking for willie wallace when i was very young and I was at best a passive Hibs fan by the time of the game.

The result and the performance turned me fully on the path to glory :greengrin although I can remember the ecstasy of the 6-2 game more vividly than the 7-0 game which instead simply stunned me.

Tamhere1875
07-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Me along with my uncles one Of whom was a jambo left at halftime swearing he would never return to Tynecastle again lol

ben johnson
07-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Only my second away game as had been at Parkhead a few weeks earlier. I was ill prepared for the jumping up and down in the packed terracing at the School end. Soon caught on that I had to jump as well or my 13 year old feet would be crushed as they had taken a pounding after 3 goals. Had plenty practice as the goals just kept coming. An astonishing result but those that watched the Tornadoes knew they were more than capable of dishing out a tonking like that.

eastterrace
07-02-2017, 07:10 PM

I got a number 1 bus to the game from muirhouse, can't remember how we got back tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucius Apuleius
07-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Was on a ship in AVon mouth. Docked December28th. Oldman refused to pay us off until 2ND so,no, I missed the game.

Long suffering
07-02-2017, 08:22 PM
I was there on that famous day (McLeod street end) with my brother and we were there together for the Scottish cup final too. A case of sixth time lucky! Yes it was a brilliant display at Tynecastle. In fact I think I'm right in saying that it took us to the top of the league and came on top of a fantastic December in 1972 which included the league cup victory over Stein's Celtic and an 8-1 win over a decent Ayr Utd team. It is hard to think of a better period as a Hibs supporter.

heretoday
07-02-2017, 08:30 PM
The thing is the 7-0 result was not such a big deal at the time. It was almost expected that we would win . It was just a question of how much.

In the weeks following the game the whole thing was almost forgotten. That's how it was in those days.

If it happened now it would be a sensation.

snedzuk
07-02-2017, 09:27 PM
I was there. After the game I had forgotten where I left my car and spent an hour or so risking bubonic plague as I walked round the area looking for it.

I hope you didnt rake in a bucket for something to eat :greengrin

Fishtank
07-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I took my dad, age 79, to the Bonnyrigg Rose game. At the end he said, last time I was here we scored 7. That's 15 goals Hibs have scored in my last two games here. Sadly he doesn't have a ticket for Sunday to see if he could keep the run going.

tynehibs
08-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Changed daysapart from the main stand TH which was 75p .i think the terracing was 30p and 15p for under 16s , still got the yellow stub

FilipinoHibs
08-02-2017, 08:35 AM
As a 16 year old I went with my best friend and his dad and his mate in their car from Hawick. We had the radio on and the old firm game was called off because of the weather. I said then if Hibs win 5-0 we would go top. Everybody turned round and looked at me as if I was crazy!

hibbiedon
09-02-2017, 03:16 AM
I was in the enclosure with my then girlfriend and another couple as I was more excited about the game than I was of her the relationship soon ended but my relationship with Hibs is as strong as ever :hibees:hibees

green.oracle
09-02-2017, 06:45 AM
I was in the enclosure with my then girlfriend and another couple as I was more excited about the game than I was of her the relationship soon ended but my relationship with Hibs is as strong as ever :hibees:hibees

I was there, 18 years young, saw all 7 goals and Hibs were on fire. Top of league, won first two trophies of that season (dryborough cup and league cup), quarter finals ECWC and on course for clean sweep.

Then, Brownlie broke his leg, Edwards picked up his 4th booking and got a world record 8 week ban from old firm influenced SFA.

EastThomasSTboy
09-02-2017, 02:37 PM
I was 15 at the time and can confirm there were pre bought tickets for the auld stand and enclosure. I acquired an enclosure ticket the following day, which had a 50p price on it, and it was maroon coloured.

Trying to look hard, in my green and white crash-helmet, I stood near the halfway line with my school pals and the older "squad" from Magdalene, adjacent to the young Hearts bampots , who quickly melted away before half-time.

I then left them after the match and ran all the way back to Chinatown, in Easter Road, (the buses were chocker!!- and I was very fit then!!) so I could watch it on Sportscene. I think it started early at 6.30, (as it was New Years Day), and I watched it all over again, in glorious black & white, on the telly.
After I got in, my grandad asked me the score and didn't believe me when I said it was 7-nil.

I subsequently met almost all the players and over the years have drawn them, painted them, made "trading-cards" of them, pub mirrors, and even put these "Magnificent Eleven who scored the Magnificent Seven" on a set of 2 "Mugs". Thats how historic these players/that game was.

Its definitely an age thing, but it still me greater pleasure (Just a little bit more!!) than our SC Win last year!!!! ( Will now get lots of slating…methinks!!). GGTTH.

Jim_in_Canada
09-02-2017, 02:41 PM
I was there too, although my memories of it are very hazy due to a well celebrated Hogmanay !

euro Hibby
09-02-2017, 05:15 PM
yes, i was there also. i think 15 / 16 years old.........great atmosphere and game seemed to flash by but can never forget it !

brog
09-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Great thread, had to post again. After the game about 6 of us, all Hibbies went off to a mates house near Bruntsfield. 2 Yam mates were to come also but strangely they were non runners! As we headed up the road we came upon an old boy sitting on the pavement. We went to check he was ok & in a very refined accent he asked us if we could confirm the score was 7-0 to Hibs. Of course we gleefully did & at that he said, i feared it wasn't a bad dream. Could you chaps kindly direct me to the canal? We helped him up, gave him a couple of nips & eventually passed him on to some mature Yam fans about Shandon way. Civilised times!

RedHibby
09-02-2017, 07:01 PM
I was in that leaky cow shed that they used to have.

greenginger
09-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Was there, and remember the game like yesterday.

Standing on the terracing about level with the 18 yard line at the Gorgie Road end. Great view of the first 5 !

Was there with about eight other guys from Porty, 5 Hibbys and 3 Jambos , everyone with a half bottle inside our jackets ( no frisking in those days )

After the 4th went in the Jambos left us , they didn't seem to want our drink or our company any more.

Strangely, I have no recollection of what I did that night. :greengrin

jdships
09-02-2017, 08:05 PM
I was there , age,42 with my 10 year old son and thought it was one of the greatest footballing days of my life until May 2016 when at 84 " all my birthdays were rolled into one .
Thr three best things in my " Hibs Life" have been

1 Watching the " Famous Five" play
2 7-0 v Hearts in 1972
3 Winning the Cup in 2016
Not necessarily in that order :greengrin

" What more can a body ask for ? ":hibees

IberianHibernian
09-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Between about 1970 and 1983 I missed 1 league or cup Derby home or away unfortunately it was 7v0 game . I remember after the following Derby a full 9 months later ( still only 2 league Derbies per season then or we`d have boosted stastistics more ) we lost 1v4 in Gorgie in a freak result . When people in cars in Roseburn stopped to ask me the score after the game and I said 8v0 for Hibs they believed me such was the quality of Hibs team of that time ( and lack in Hearts team ) .

09-02-2017, 11:01 PM
I was at the game, down near the front in the corner at the school end. We missed the first goal due to delays getting in.

It was great fun at the time, but it wasn't until much later that we realised just how historic that game would become.

Sharing oot the bevvy was fairly common at new year derbies back then, even with fans of the other mob as there was no segregation and mates of different teams all stood together. I remember being up town one hogmanay, crashing out somewhere, then trying to get down to Easter Rd with a mate for the new year derby. We both had Hibs scarves on and were drunkenly running along Bread St. We'd never have made the game if a taxi hadn't stopped and two yams waved at us to get in, or we'd miss the kick off. OK we split the fare with them, but that kind of thing would never happen now. They'd be banging on the taxi windows and giving it the middle finger instead.

That was pre 1st January 1973 though. :greengrin
Just shows you how times have changed. I am way too young to remember but my Great Uncle Frank(RIP) was a massive Jambo and he was there that day and he always drove to Edinburgh from Macmerry and got the bus to the stadiums from somewhere in Edinburgh. I remember him saying that the bus was heavily delayed and hibs fans were getting off to walk and he was walking 5 mins til kick off and he thought he was going to miss it and a car full of hibees stopped and asked him if he wanted a lift to the game. I found that strange as ive grew up where that would never happen but it makes me proud to be from Edinbugh as you wouldnt get that for Old Firm games or that. The same Hibees gave him a lift back to his car after the game and he offered them petrol money but they wouldnt take it. He also said the Hibees never mentioned the game the whole way to his car out of respect. Wish times were the same now. Uncle frank used to go Tynie one week Easter Road the next. Think i was born in the wrong generation tbh...

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

09-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Just shows you how times have changed. I am way too young to remember but my Great Uncle Frank(RIP) was a massive Jambo and he was there that day and he always drove to Edinburgh from Macmerry and got the bus to the stadiums from somewhere in Edinburgh. I remember him saying that the bus was heavily delayed and hibs fans were getting off to walk and he was walking 5 mins til kick off and he thought he was going to miss it and a car full of hibees stopped and asked him if he wanted a lift to the game. I found that strange as ive grew up where that would never happen but it makes me proud to be from Edinbugh as you wouldnt get that for Old Firm games or that. The same Hibees gave him a lift back to his car after the game and he offered them petrol money but they wouldnt take it. He also said the Hibees never mentioned the game the whole way to his car out of respect. Wish times were the same now. Uncle frank used to go Tynie one week Easter Road the next. Think i was born in the wrong generation tbh...

When i said im way to young to remember i meant I wasnt alive 😂

GreenLake
10-02-2017, 02:16 AM
Just watching the LA Kings and they are up 6.2 against the Florida Panthers. Such a great scoreline after two 5.0 defeats in a row. There were a couple of fights early doors which made me think it might be good if Fontaine could just square up to Walker after he cheats and give him a few hooks and uppercuts and them be allowed to get on with it.

Bostonhibby
10-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Good post, got me thinking back to when, and how it might have changed. My Uncle was a big Jambo but I remember clearly him taking me to the 6-1 final against Celtc, travelling there on a Hibs bus and supporting Hibs on the day, he did the same for the LC final, he wore a rosette and I still have it!

For me the attitude of a big majority of Hearts fans to Mercers debt laden attempt to close us down was the beginning and the blind arrogance of an even bigger majority in the face of the obvious criminality associated with the Romanov years is when attitudes changed for good. It was a sad development for the city but I feel no remorse at taking the stand I do simply because, post administration, they really don't give a damn about their conduct and I don't doubt they'd happily do something similar again to win a trophy or two but just be a bit slyer about it.

Their recent ability to inflate every little thing they do is another sign of their desperate need for attention when they think they are doing something special. Even when they just do what ordinary businesses do it's trumpeted like no one ever thought of it before -in contrast with our own practice of just building and maintaining safe stands, paying our bills and actually buying shares in our club without any strings, diversion of cash or interest charges.

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 03:09 PM
The thing is the 7-0 result was not such a big deal at the time. It was almost expected that we would win . It was just a question of how much.

In the weeks following the game the whole thing was almost forgotten. That's how it was in those days.

If it happened now it would be a sensation.
Don't agree with that.It was a very big deal.Hearts had only lost 4 goals in the league at Tynecastle up until then that season.

Golden Bear
10-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Don't agree with that.It was a very big deal.Hearts had only lost 4 goals in the league at Tynecastle up until then that season.

Correct. You don't get a much bigger deal than a 0-7 scoreline in a New Years Day derby.!

emerald green
10-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Good post, got me thinking back to when, and how it might have changed. My Uncle was a big Jambo but I remember clearly him taking me to the 6-1 final against Celtc, travelling there on a Hibs bus and supporting Hibs on the day, he did the same for the LC final, he wore a rosette and I still have it!

It's hard to imagine this sort of thing happening these days, sadly. Certainly not as often as it did back then.

Why it might have changed? Could be on here for hours debating that Bostonhibby.

CL0762
10-02-2017, 06:58 PM
My Grandad often talks about it, said he was in the enclosure.

For him, winning the cup still doesn't match up to that game.

Has said it's a very very close second though.

WoreTheGreen
10-02-2017, 07:19 PM
7.0 not even close to 21 may was lucky enough to be at both

Newcastlehibby
10-02-2017, 07:30 PM
I was there , age,42 with my 10 year old son and thought it was one of the greatest footballing days of my life until May 2016 when at 84 " all my birthdays were rolled into one .

2 7-0 v Hearts in 1972

:not worth

ACLeith
10-02-2017, 07:43 PM

2 7-0 v Hearts in 1972

But IIRC you also played for our club alongside the Famous Five? NOBODY on this board comes close to that!!!!

You're the man 😀

snooky
10-02-2017, 07:54 PM
My Grandad often talks about it, said he was in the enclosure.

For him, winning the cup still doesn't match up to that game.

Has said it's a very very close second though.

Have you any idea how auld that makes us 0-7 attendees feel?
Can you not just lie and say it was your dad? :ill:

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 07:57 PM
But IIRC you also played for our club alongside the Famous Five? NOBODY on this board comes close to that!!!!

You're the man 😀

I've got all their autographs.Does that count:greengrin

Siralbertkidd
10-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Yes, I was there. Sorry for taking so long to respond, still sobering up from the celebrations.....

Argylehibby
10-02-2017, 08:26 PM
I have a recollection of seeing the trailer for Scotsport later that night that talked about "a 7 goal thriller". I remember thinking that for hibees that didn't know the score they would breath easy when the 4th went in "great the worst it can be is 4-3".

Quickly followed by "brilliant, 5-2". Then "wow 6-1" till finally "OMG why did I listen to it her indoors and not go!!!"

I was at the game with my dad and granddad. To be honest hearts were probably playing slightly better than us in the opening stages until of course wee Jimmy scored and from then on it was one way traffic.

Years later sitting in the staff canteen at work my Jambo supporting colleague told the story of how he got home and avoided the score so he could watch the highlight as if he was there. i spent the next 20 minutes in tears laughing as he described exactly as you do above but from the opposite view. The desperation when it got to 6 of "just get one" followed by the dejection when it went to 7 was Hilarious.

ACLeith
10-02-2017, 09:15 PM
I've got all their autographs.Does that count:greengrin

So have I but sadly no coconut!

Joe6-2
10-02-2017, 09:19 PM
I had been at a New Years party in Dalkeith, feeling a bit rough, I refused a lift to the game!! 😒😒😒😒😒😒😒

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 09:19 PM
So have I but sadly no coconut!

I got Lawrie Reilly 's twice,fifty years apart.

ACLeith
10-02-2017, 09:22 PM
I got Lawrie Reilly 's twice,fifty years apart.
OK you win 😀

ancient hibee
10-02-2017, 09:23 PM
OK you win 😀
And he said his writing hadn't improved:greengrin

HiBremian
10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Was there, and remember the game like yesterday.

Standing on the terracing about level with the 18 yard line at the Gorgie Road end. Great view of the first 5 !

Was there with about eight other guys from Porty, 5 Hibbys and 3 Jambos , everyone with a half bottle inside our jackets ( no frisking in those days )

After the 4th went in the Jambos left us , they didn't seem to want our drink or our company any more.

Strangely, I have no recollection of what I did that night. :greengrin

You must have been standing pretty close to where I was! Seem to remember being in the enclosure behind where Shades took the throw-in for the first goal. Me and a couple of mates agreed to take a big swig from the whisky bottle if we scored - maybe there'd been a lack of goals in previous derbies? Anyway, by half time we were in dreamland, more or less back to where we had been at midnight at the Tron. Still got the "Team To Take On The World" newspaper report of the match too :-)

HiBremian
10-02-2017, 10:20 PM

And after the 6th went in, we went top of the league on goal difference too.

edwards
11-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately I missed the game as I was at a new year party that went on to the small hours of the morning. I remember I heard a knock at the door and it was mates coming for me, I was that ill they phyiscally dragged me out of bed by my feet and hit the floor with a thud. I vaguely remember them warning me I would regret it me replying it will be another boring 0-0 draw.
They left for the game early and I remember waking at half time and asking my mother the score, she didn't know so I turned the redio on, they didn't give the score at first and went on about it being a sintilating first half the rattled of the players that scored, needles to say I was gobsmacked and the rest was history. All my mates came back to taunt me after the game and asked if I was going to the hibs club for a bevvy. I went but came back early to watch the game on tv with a neighbour as he missed it as well.

THE PAIN

JackLadd
11-02-2017, 08:20 PM
I had a hertz fan uncle who was at the game, he was shell shocked and took to the drink for the remainder of the holidays.

Jim44
11-02-2017, 10:21 PM
I was there with my dad, him 50 and me 26. We were both still half sozzled from the night before and couldn't believe what we were witnessing. It was the first time I saw my old man cry. That was a great year, ending with me getting married the following December. He cried on that occasion as well, big girl's blouse. :greengrin He was Hibs crazy.

rcarter1
11-02-2017, 10:28 PM
I was in utero for the 73 win and the 72 League Cup win vs Celtic.

Does this count?? :greengrin

MickeyEdwards
12-02-2017, 06:19 AM
I was 17 at the time and had been out "first footing" all night so was still "under the weather"! :wink:

Went to to the match after meeting my Dad, who sadly passed away before the SC win last year, and a few mates including a couple of Jambos, still good mates of mind to this day.

Wasn't at my best on the way to Tynie but by half time, was in 7th heaven!:greengrin

What at a day although the 6-2 game at ER on 22 Oct 2000, my oldest laddie's 20th cam close and but for Anti Niemi, who was World Class that day, we could easily have hit double figures that day!

GreenLake
12-02-2017, 06:53 AM
I wish I could have been at the one today.

brog
12-02-2017, 03:04 PM
My fav stat is that from 1/1/73 to the end of the season Hibs scored more league goals at PBS than Yams did. We genuinely did destroy their season.

Holmesdale Hibs
12-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Before my time but my dad was there and I've just had the programme he gave me framed. I've never seen us win at PBS