PDA

View Full Version : Have a word and take a deep breath

Pretty Boy
05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
This thread title would be my advice to more than a few on here over the coming days.

Seriously some of the stuff being posted is just ridiculous. I absoluely believe people have the right to express an opinion and disagreement is part and parcel of this forum but some of the stuff being aimed at each other is way OTT. That goes for long established users as much as new posters (or 'yams as they are hillariously called). Opinions that differ are dismissed as that of a 'bedwetter' or 'skoosher'. The current incarnation of the chronic 'happy clapper' and 'doom and gloomer' patter.

A fellow admin had to delete over 90 posts on a thread started to introduce a supporters rep candidate as it descended into an embarassing slagging match. I've deleted multiple posts over the last week and some of the reaction and counter reaction to yesterdays draw has been draining. Likewise if someone believes beating Raith is more important than Hearts (or vice versa) they are entitled to that opinion. If someone believes Holt is good/bad then play the ball, not the man so to speak.

It really doesn't take much of a memory to remember far worse times to be a Hibs fan. We are Scottish Cup holders and on course to get back to the Premiership. A bit respect for the opinion of others will get you a long way on here.

West lower
05-02-2017, 11:41 AM
This thread title would be my advice to more than a few on here over the coming days.

Seriously some of the stuff being posted is just ridiculous. I absoluely believe people have the right to express an opinion and disagreement is part and parcel of this forum but some of the stuff being aimed at each other is way OTT. That goes for long established users as much as new posters (or 'yams as they are hillariously called). Opinions that differ are dismissed as that of a 'bedwetter' or 'skoosher'. The current incarnation of the chronic 'happy clapper' and 'doom and gloomer' patter.

A fellow admin had to delete over 90 posts on a thread started to introduce a supporters rep candidate as it descended into an embarassing slagging match. I've deleted multiple posts over the last week and some of the reaction and counter reaction to yesterdays draw has been draining. Likewise if someone believes beating Raith is more important than Hearts (or vice versa) they are entitled to that opinion. If someone believes Holt is good/bad then play the ball, not the man so to speak.

It really doesn't take much of a memory to remember far worse times to be a Hibs fan. We are Scottish Cup holders and on course to get back to the Premiership. A bit respect for the opinion of others will get you a long way on here.

Spot on.

There was a thread on here not so long back asking why a lot of people were looking in , but not engaging in the chat. I think you have the answer right here.

The Leith Dutch
05-02-2017, 12:09 PM

The fact that there are people who have to spend their valuable time deleting posts should be taken to heart - someone's childish insult is time out their day. We get *free of charge* a connection with other Hibs fans to talk football and the place of Hibs in that and that's a privilege that other people give up their time for.

Aside from that - the bit in bold sums up much of my frustration here.
The amount of times I see a post that just says "So and so is *****" or "You know **** all about football" is mind-boggling.
Why not skip the insults and say why you think the player is poor or the poster is wrong?

oldbutdim
05-02-2017, 12:20 PM
It's extremely disappointing to come on here and see loads of deleted posts, clearly where there has been some disgraceful behaviour or even threats exchanged.

I feel cheated.

Would it be possible to move them somewhere, or maybe just make them viewable only to Private Members?

Carheenlea
05-02-2017, 12:23 PM
I would say it should be more about giving a bit more respect to the people who run this site, and post within the acceptable standards they desire for this forum we all enjoy.
The rules are a bit stricter on here than others I've seen with regards offensive language and behaviour to other members, and the site is better for it in my opinion.

sleeping giant
05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
I like reading the argy bargy threads.
I'm always disappointed when I see a thread has been closed or posts deleted before I have read it :greengrin:

Must be a nightmare to clean it all up though.

HFCdeb
05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Exactly. We are not Jambos, let's be respectful and educated in our contributions/responses.

sleeping giant
05-02-2017, 12:25 PM
It's extremely disappointing to come on here and see loads of deleted posts, clearly where there has been some disgraceful behaviour or even threats exchanged.

I feel cheated.

Would it be possible to move them somewhere, or maybe just make them viewable only to Private Members?

:faf:

I feel the same

Keith_M
05-02-2017, 12:36 PM

:top marks

Jim44
05-02-2017, 12:45 PM

:agree: I more or less said the same in the 'No need to panic' thread, although I was a wee bit naughty to use 'contentious' descriptions. Sorry if I genuinely offended anyone.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
05-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Cant argue with any of the OP ...... I've been warned once on here, but that was as a result of retaliation to personal stuff.

The last thing anybody wants is to see is this forum descend into a mirror image of Jambos Kickback where any dissenting voice must belong to undercover 'Hibs vermin' or the poster 'clearly isn't a Hearts man' and the insults get more and more personal and nasty.

All anybody can ask for is to be treated with respect and if somebody doesn't agree with what you have to say that they tell you why they think its wrong rather than tell you what a prat they think you are ........ that especially goes towards not resorting to pointing out mistakes in folks spelling or grammar to get one up on them, which is the thing that gets me annoyed more than anything else ... not everybody who has a point to make on here has the same level of education, it doesn't make what they are trying to say any less valid.

You's ken the sort of stuff I'm talking about, its not to much two ask that folk are respectfuller than they sometimes aren't too uthers.

tartanhibee
05-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Pretty much why I don't post that much it's like a school playground half the time. Respect to the admins who try keep it in order.

Bay Area Hibees
05-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Appreciate all the admin work.
I imagine users on here from all different ages, attitudes and opinions including what they can or should be able to post.
That said posters should stick to basic rule of not personally attaching others, I think if they do not sho

Eddie Burntool
05-02-2017, 04:04 PM

Hear, hear. A bit of common sense.

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2017, 04:27 PM
I agree, and would like to apologise to both Admins and Baldy Foghorn for my own interventions on the withdrawal thread. I was expressing my extreme displeasure if Hibs legend Pat Stanton had been abused, not attempting to infer that he or anyone else, did the abusing. He's always been a great poster on here and it wasn't my intention to personally denigrate him, or any other individual.

I think that comes over in the posts, but the by-passing the swear filter only amps things up, and is unwise behaviour.

The admins do a great job, in an increasingly harsh world where people are often inclined to displace and vent general frustrations on forums like this. Nobody is getting rich moderating Hibs.net. People do it for their love of the club, and we should be grateful to them for making that investment of time.

Hibernia&Alba
05-02-2017, 04:35 PM
Pretty much why I don't post that much it's like a school playground half the time. Respect to the admins who try keep it in order.

It's well behaved on the whole, and you can usually anticipate when the keek is about to hit the fan: if promotion starts to get very tight, expect some short fuses. If we don't go up, expect carnage! I think .net is more civilised than other forums I've seen.

Ronniekirk
05-02-2017, 04:44 PM
I agree, and would like to apologise to both Admins and Baldy Foghorn for my own interventions on the withdrawal thread. I was expressing my extreme displeasure if Hibs legend Pat Stanton had been abused, not attempting to infer that he or anyone else, did the abusing. He's always been a great poster on here and it wasn't my intention to personally denigrate him, or any other individual.

I think that comes over in the posts, but the by-passing the swear filter only amps things up, and is unwise behaviour.

The admins do a great job, in an increasingly harsh world where people are often inclined to displace and vent general frustrations on forums like this. Nobody is getting rich moderating Hibs.net. People do it for their love of the club, and we should be grateful to them for making that investment of time.

Nice post DBS I wouldnt be an Admin thats for sure, they perform a necessar , and am sure at times , thankless task . And before anyone comes on to abuse me , I know my grammer is so bad that i wouldnt pass the Admins Test

McD
05-02-2017, 05:11 PM

I dont think there's a serious poster on here who expects everyone to agree with them, in fact it'd be a boring place if it was that way. I know I certainly enjoy reading and participating in debates and discussions, and often will find myself thinking about things in different ways because of that, even extending beyond the world of football.

that said, it very occasionally goes beyond (sometimes far beyond) that, and becomes personal and uncomfortable for everyone. The fans reps chat has certainly done that.

Everyone of of us is entitled to their opinion, and (within reason) entitled to share it. If you disagree, that's fine, please discuss rather than belittle, or make snidely comments.

This is is a great place where I've whiled away countless enjoyable hours, as I'm sure many of us have. Let's keep it that way :greengrin

where'stheslope
05-02-2017, 06:18 PM
I for one, waited for a few years before starting to post, as some people feel that their views are the only correct views on all thing that are Hibs.
They also seem to be so prejudiced that they tend to become a little blind to the overall picture.
Most of the posters on here have good unbiased viewpoints but they don't seem to be allowed their opinion without being outed a Yams???
I realise that we are all Hibees at heart and why others should think their opinions are the only ones that count.
Its the old freedom of speech debate, but you still have some dictators???

JK Rolling
05-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Ditto. As previously stated, respect to the admins for doing a great job in keeping us civilised and overseeing what is, in the main, an excellent forum.

Hi Heid Yin
05-02-2017, 07:07 PM

:agree::agree: Thank goodness for some perspective and a timely reminder.

jacomo
05-02-2017, 08:01 PM

What's Pats pseudonym on here?

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2017, 08:07 PM
What's Pats pseudonym on here?
Dashing Pat S.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

bookert
05-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Thanks great post, especially for us shy types, we love hibs as well

TheHarpy76
06-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Fantastic post and one I can certainly relate to. I've been registered here for 2-3 years now but have a very low post count as I know that my views would guarantee me being branded a "yam". When I say that I mean I see myself as a realist who looks at the facts in front of me instead of seeing them through green tinted spectacles. A lot of posters would be quick to label you a Hearts fan if you dare say something other than what they want to hear. It happened to me after my first couple of posts, I cant remember what it was I said but it didn't go with the view of an "established" poster and I got all the "yam" crap thrown at me.

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Fantastic post and one I can certainly relate to. I've been registered here for 2-3 years now but have a very low post count as I know that my views would guarantee me being branded a "yam". When I say that I mean I see myself as a realist who looks at the facts in front of me instead of seeing them through green tinted spectacles. A lot of posters would be quick to label you a Hearts fan if you dare say something other than what they want to hear. It happened to me after my first couple of posts, I cant remember what it was I said but it didn't go with the view of an "established" poster and I got all the "yam" crap thrown at me.

It's a fans forum, mate, so you have a right to call it as you see it. Nobody has a monopoly on being right. Just give an honest opinion, and, if you feel some of the responses are out of order, report them and let the admins deal with it. You shouldn't feel you can't participate. Get yersel involved. :aok:

TheHarpy76
06-02-2017, 12:46 PM
It's a fans forum, mate, so you have a right to call it as you see it. Nobody has a monopoly on being right. Just give an honest opinion, and, if you feel some of the responses are out of order, report them and let the admins deal with it. You shouldn't feel you can't participate. Get yersel involved. :aok:

You're right mate and I appreciate you saying so. Sometimes it just seems better looking in than trying to justify yourself just because your views don't meet the agenda of others.

I'll try and get more involved though :aok:

hughio
06-02-2017, 12:49 PM

:agree:
bump

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2017, 12:52 PM
You're right mate and I appreciate you saying so. Sometimes it just seems better looking in than trying to justify yourself just because your views don't meet the agenda of others.

I'll try and get more involved though :aok:

I'm sure there are others who feel the same as you, which is a shame; the whole point of a fans forum is for fans to discuss things. Type away. :agree:

TheHarpy76
06-02-2017, 12:53 PM
I'm sure there are others who feel the same as you, which is a shame; the whole point of a fans forum is for fans to discuss things. Type away. :agree:

:aok:

mjhibby
06-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Like all forums when things are going well it's great but lose a game and many a spleen is vented. Having read other forums occasionally we are one of the more measured ones and while I wouldn't label anybody a yam for posting negative comments there is no doubt that it is obvious that some posts stand out as being from fans who lets say aren't exactly in love with our club. If that's what gets them excited then fill your boots but it says more about them than this site. This in many ways is a very mixed time to be a hibby with our greatest moment in 114 years mixed in with being out of the top flight three years running. We're all desperate to go up and I'm sure we'll get there but naturally fans want it done asap. the furthest we've been ahead of utd is 8 points and we are 6 ahead plus a huge plus on the goal diffence. Utds away form is poor and they visit Falkirk and qos in their next three games. Form doesn't suggest they will pick up maximum points. Hopefully the cup tie will be over on Sunday although I wouldn't mind a replay. There's no doubt it's been a distraction as all that's been talked about is the game. I think the league will be much clearer in 4 or 5 more games and hopefully the nerves settled. I love a good discussion like the next guy but it is sooo obvious to me anyway when people are on the wind up. Spleen vented.

Nicho87
06-02-2017, 10:26 PM
I just made my own very harsh and very generous points prediction for rest of the reason. I think united will finish on 70 points, hibs i gave a poor 22 points. Win the league by 1 point. As i say i was more harsh on hibs as i was keen to see what we could get away with if we did have a few nervy games.

Big L
07-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Dun Utd are 3 pt's below the average of 2 pt's per game, played 23 got 43 pt's. Hibs are 3 pt's above the average of 2 pt's per game on 49. Pro rata over the next 13 games we would end up with 77 pt's approx and D U would be on 67. The moral of the story is just keep doing what we're doing and hope they don't get any better. I know! If only it was that easy, but that's my forecast.