PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Gordon Stanton

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 08:55 AM
If (god forbid) Pat passed away tomorrow there would be quite rightly a clamber for some type of tribute.
My point is why wait?
Let's do something the great man can appreciate.
I appreciate statues etc cost many thousands of pounds but there are many things the club could do that wouldn't cost anything.
E.g. remain a stand
Statue,
Name a lounge after him rather than the non hibs names they seem to have i.e. almond or forth view suites?
The gates leading to the east could be the Stanton gates?
There will hopefully many more suggestions.
If we could get some agreement then the new fans reps could take it to the board.
Personally I'd like to see the east named after him along with a statue but accept the costs may be prohibitive.
The Stanton gates may be a more acceptable idea.
Thoughts?

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Great idea, I'm sure if there was a fans led initiative we could raise the money for a statue in no time.

Fergos
05-02-2017, 09:01 AM
I would agree with this especially after the hustings this week.

Im surprised that something hasn't been done up until now considering how PS is regarded amongst the Hibs support and rightly so.

Renaming the lounges is a no brainier for me at least as a start if nothing else.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
05-02-2017, 09:14 AM
I would agree with this especially after the hustings this week.

Im surprised that something hasn't been done up until now considering how PS is regarded amongst the Hibs support and rightly so.

Renaming the lounges is a no brainier for me at least as a start if nothing else.

GGTTH

Maybe invest in a Calor Gas heater and a few folding tables as the ultimate tribute to a legend?

Seriously it's a no brainer that something should be done. It begs the question why it hasn't been in the last 20 odd years.

3pm
05-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Maybe invest in a Calor Gas heater and a few folding tables as the ultimate tribute to a legend?

Seriously it's a no brainer that something should be done. It begs the question why it hasn't been in the last 20 odd years.

It's something I thought we might have done a bit more after renaming the North Stand.

Plenty candidates as well as Pat. Sir Tom, Joe Baker among others.

Would like to see the away stand named after Albert Kidd or Derek Riordan.

hibs#1
05-02-2017, 09:32 AM
It's something I thought we might have done a bit more after renaming the North Stand.

Plenty candidates as well as Pat. Sir Tom, Joe Baker among others.

Would like to see the away stand named after Albert Kidd or Derek Riordan.

The bottom part is great idea bit it could be a rolling change depending on who we are playing

The Derek Riordan or leigh Griffiths stand when we are playing hearts
Or when the huns come it could be the sir David Gray or Alan stubbs stand
If there was no particularly annoying to the away team we could just nominate a charity or mascot for that week.

Onion
05-02-2017, 10:16 AM
If (god forbid) Pat passed away tomorrow there would be quite rightly a clamber for some type of tribute.
My point is why wait?
Let's do something the great man can appreciate.
I appreciate statues etc cost many thousands of pounds but there are many things the club could do that wouldn't cost anything.
E.g. remain a stand
Statue,
Name a lounge after him rather than the non hibs names they seem to have i.e. almond or forth view suites?
The gates leading to the east could be the Stanton gates?
There will hopefully many more suggestions.
If we could get some agreement then the new fans reps could take it to the board.
Personally I'd like to see the east named after him along with a statue but accept the costs may be prohibitive.
The Stanton gates may be a more acceptable idea.
Thoughts?

Totally agree. SDG probably deserves some recognition for THAT goal and performance in the sun in May 2016, but for lifetime achievement Pat Stanton is deserving of a Stand.

IMO we should rename the West Stand as the Famous Five Stand (it's the biggest stand, was not build when we named the FF, and we will never have more famous players). We then rename the FF Stand as the Pat Stanton Stand. Might confuse a few slow folk for a while but .... just my view, like.

fat freddy
05-02-2017, 10:56 AM
spoilsport

southsider
05-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Name the East after Pat, the West after Joe,leave the FF. The away stand will always be the Dunbar end (after the juice factory that once stood beside that end(.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2017, 11:03 AM
We have plenty scope to name things at ER.

The Captains Lounge is fine. Leave the 1875 Restaurant until Gray moves on then he can have that. The Main stand for Pat Stanton, East for Joe Baker and the South as the Tornadoes Stand. The 2 lounges in the FF, or wherever they are moved to when the health centre stuff goes in, can be named for our 2 'most recent' Scottish Cup winning managers.

I don't understand why it has never been looked at before tbh.

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 11:38 AM
I was at conference recently at Ibrox which was held in the Morton suite in the Sandy Jardine Stand.
Sandy was a very good player who served Rangers well but with all due respect to Sandy I don't think they would have named the stand after him had he not passed away. My point is why wait.
If Amit is reading could I ask him if this is something the board would consider?

NAE NOOKIE
05-02-2017, 02:54 PM
This is why I started a thread on the same subject a week ago ...... Its incredible that we haven't honoured Pat in some way before now.

At the end of the day he actually won less with Hibs than Lewis Stevenson has, but sometimes a players meaning to a club goes way beyond cups and trophies ...... Pat Stanton is such a player, a Hibs fan from birth whose heritage goes all the way back to the clubs founders and who played in some of this clubs greatest ever games .... he is as close as this club has to an iconic former player.

He may have been at odds with the folk who still own the club in recent years, but nobody and I mean nobody, could ever argue that his motivation was, is and always has been for the good of Hibernian FC whether you agreed with him or not.

I got a bit of flak for my opposition to him standing for a fans rep role and my criticism of his performance the other night ...... but none of that means I don't respect the guy as a person or a Hibs legend and the time to honour him in a tangible way is long overdue.

GORDONSMITH7
05-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Not too sure about the statue business when folk are still around. Suits Rantic with statues of John Greig and Billy McNeil, however not for me and probably not Hibs unless paid for by others. There was a group set up a couple of years ago to erect a statue to the Famous Five outside the main building, historically perhaps the best forward line in Scottish fitba history. Various groups were involved including Hibs, my good friends at the Hibernian Historical Trust, myself and several others. It came to nowt.

A lot of talk by folk who opposed Pat's nomination was directed to the fact that Hibs have never extended the hand to him in a non executive Honorary role on the Board. A campaign by fans to do such would be fitting in my opinion. The word Legend is fired about, however he is without doubt a living one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjD86uYBfDE

GGTTH

BIG G

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Not too sure about the statue business when folk are still around. Suits Rantic with statues of John Greig and Billy McNeil, however not for me and probably not Hibs unless paid for by others. There was a group set up a couple of years ago to erect a statue to the Famous Five outside the main building, historically perhaps the best forward line in Scottish fitba history. Various groups were involved including Hibs, my good friends at the Hibernian Historical Trust, myself and several others. It came to nowt.

A lot of talk by folk who opposed Pat's nomination was directed to the fact that Hibs have never extended the hand to him in a non executive Honorary role on the Board. A campaign by fans to do such would be fitting in my opinion. The word Legend is fired about, however he is without doubt a living one.

GGTTH

BIG G

Good call Gordon, an ambassador role would be perfect tribute. No idea how we would go about it. Fans rep to take proposal to the board?

California-Hibs
05-02-2017, 03:58 PM
I believe there is a statue in the works for all the famous 5. Been following it on, planning is definitely underway. Working out location, back of the West being talked about a lot.

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2017, 04:27 PM
I believe there is a statue in the works for all the famous 5. Been following it on, planning is definitely underway. Working out location, back of the West being talked about a lot.
Is this different to the one HR were proposing?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Is this different to the one HR were proposing?

Same one, apparently the sculptor Alan Herriot???? has already made a markett. The original location was knocked back for safety but reasons. Not sure how funding is going.

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Spell check. Maquette

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Same one, apparently the sculptor Alan Herriot???? has already made a markett. The original location was knocked back for safety but reasons. Not sure how funding is going.
Cheers.

I remember the stuff about the location.

Is it the case that the club said HR have to fund it themselves?

jeffers
05-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Totally agree with the sentiments, think the east should be named the Pat Stanton stand.

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Cheers.

I remember the stuff about the location.

Is it the case that the club said HR have to fund it themselves?

My understanding is that there is to be a meeting with the club and supporters groups and any interested parties in the next few weeks.
The location is either the west stand car park or possibly the foot of the wall.

Various fundraising ideas including a concert at ER during the close season are being considered.

The cost is estimated between £100-200k. Alan Herriot is costing the materials etc and an exact figure should be available soon.

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 06:02 PM

GGTTH

BIG G

Fair point re the statue but several clubs, Man U, Arsenal have statues of living players.

Four of the five were present on the pitch when we named the new stand in their honour and it was a great night. I'm sure they appreciated the gesture.

GORDONSMITH7
05-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Pat kicked his last ball in 1978.....38 years ago. I guess the vast majority of folk on here or the Bounce never actually saw him play. Books, videos cannot even capture the week in, week out majesty of this guy fae Niddrie. The minority who have, know what I am talking about. An utter privilege.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
05-02-2017, 06:12 PM
My understanding is that there is to be a meeting with the club and supporters groups and any interested parties in the next few weeks.
The location is either the west stand car park or possibly the foot of the wall.

Various fundraising ideas including a concert at ER during the close season are being considered.

The cost is estimated between £100-200k. Alan Herriot is costing the materials etc and an exact figure should be available soon.

Nice to know. Where was this announced? Mind you as part of the original group nowt surprises me any more. As part of the small group that set up the Loyalty Points scheme along with the likes of Brockie and who were not even informed when it was dumped......no surprise.

BIG G

DaveF
05-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Pat kicked his last ball in 1978.....38 years ago. I guess the vast majority of folk on here or the Bounce never actually saw him play. Books, videos cannot even capture the week in, week out majesty of this guy fae Niddrie. The minority who have, know what I am talking about. An utter privilege.

GGTTH

BIG G

Craigmillar surely. Can't have the Niddrons claiming him :greengrin

Bostonhibby
05-02-2017, 06:14 PM

GGTTH

BIG G
A privilege indeed G, I and most of my friends from those days were home and away regulars and we saw so much quality that we took it for granted. Little did we know eh?

A magnificent footballer and a real leader of a team that we've not got close to since.

GORDONSMITH7
05-02-2017, 06:19 PM

In the video I am sure he says Niddrie. I may me wrong. However he may have publicly kicked Graigmillar intae touch when the Queen gave him his Knighthood.

BIG G

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Nice to know. Where was this announced? Mind you as part of the original group nowt surprises me any more. As part of the small group that set up the Loyalty Points scheme along with the likes of Brockie and who were not even informed when it was dumped......no surprise.

BIG G

I must be on a mailing list as I got an email. I'll forward to to you now.

Ps

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2017, 06:22 PM
I saw most of his games as a Hibby, he's without doubt the best player i have witnessed in our green and white shirt.

Folk talk of legends all the time, and of course we all have different views on what a legend is.

People who saw him play know that Pat Stanton is a Hibernian legend, and should be given that accolade officially through a statue or a stand named after him, preferably both.

GORDONSMITH7
05-02-2017, 06:23 PM

Ps

Thanks.

BIG G

Jones28
05-02-2017, 06:25 PM
The West should be the Sir Tom Farmer stand
Keep the famous five as is.
The East should be the Pat Stanton terrace.

Peevemor
05-02-2017, 06:26 PM

BIG G
Hibernian Retro posted this information on their Facebook page.

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 06:29 PM

BIG G

Ps

FC Leige
05-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Stanton and Joe Baker should have been honoured years ago. Along with the 5 they are our only true legends. Then you have Arthur Duncan our record appearance holder who doesn't even have a suite named after him. We dont even have anything with the Tornadoes name in it.
We really should do more to appreciate and honour these kind of special players who clubs are blessed with every few generations.

Stantons Angel
05-02-2017, 06:42 PM

GGTTH

BIG G

A Gordon you have a way with words!

It can be said of our generation that we never seen the Famous Five play together. I had a friend who used to remind me every time i seen him, just how good Gordon Smith was as a player in that line up, I know he was your dad's favourite too.

Pat always refers to himself as the wee laddie from Niddrie and he was indeed majestic. He always stood out like a beacon to younger players as he exerted his calm manner and influence on games. No books nor films of any kind will show the greatness and skill of such a player. He literally strolled through high tension games and always drove his team on by example.

As far as im concerned there was never any one anywhere near him in sheer talent and love for the jersey he played in.

The wee video you posted shows how relaxed and comfortable he is being asked the questions and he answers them with detail and a wee smile.
The respect shown to him by your members goes along way to showing how highly he is thought of by young and old.

I agree there should be a place on the board or some mark of respect shown to the living legend that is Pat Stanton.

Tom Hart RIP
05-02-2017, 06:52 PM
I first started going 50 years ago this year.
My next door neighbor was a Hearts fan but Hibs were so good he used to go to ER as well.
I had no family allegiance so could have supported either but after seeing Pat, peter Cormack Jimmy Orourke and Eric Stevenson then it was no contest.
I feel sorry for the Hibs fans who never saw the Tornadoes as they were so much better than anything we have seen since and Pat was the leader.

marinello59
05-02-2017, 07:03 PM

BIG G

I think you are right , it has to come from the fans. It looks like the starting pistol has been fired so what's the best way to make the fans voices so loud on this one they can't be ignored?

GORDONSMITH7
05-02-2017, 07:32 PM
I think you are right , it has to come from the fans. It looks like the starting pistol has been fired so what's the best way to make the fans voices so loud on this one they can't be ignored?

You guys have influence and numbers. I am an Admin on the Bounce and willing to suggest joint collaboration on this.

GGTTH

BIG G

Tom Hart RIP
06-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Something for the new fans rep to take up?

Kato
06-02-2017, 10:43 AM

Niddrie House.

Aubenas
06-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Niddrie House.

Aye. His nickname when he was playing was "Niddrie". Legend:agree:

Bostonhibby
06-02-2017, 11:17 AM
Niddrie House.
Definitely Niddrie

scoopyboy
06-02-2017, 11:37 AM

GGTTH

BIG G

I agree G and now would be good time to raise if after the hustings.

I think it was for the best that he withdrew but I suspect the man is hurting right now.

Perfect pick me up for the man who you quite rightly say is a living legend.

Baldy Foghorn
06-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Whilst a statue is a great idea, it would need a consultation process with the Club, in terms of position to be situated etc. Maybe rename one of the suites in the stadium?

Would love a Famous Five statue too.

hughio
06-02-2017, 12:00 PM
A Gordon you have a way with words!

It can be said of our generation that we never seen the Famous Five play together. I had a friend who used to remind me every time i seen him, just how good Gordon Smith was as a player in that line up, I know he was your dad's favourite too.

Pat always refers to himself as the wee laddie from Niddrie and he was indeed majestic. He always stood out like a beacon to younger players as he exerted his calm manner and influence on games. No books nor films of any kind will show the greatness and skill of such a player. He literally strolled through high tension games and always drove his team on by example.

As far as im concerned there was never any one anywhere near him in sheer talent and love for the jersey he played in.

The wee video you posted shows how relaxed and comfortable he is being asked the questions and he answers them with detail and a wee smile.
The respect shown to him by your members goes along way to showing how highly he is thought of by young and old.

I agree there should be a place on the board or some mark of respect shown to the living legend that is Pat Stanton.

Yes..even 50 years after seeing Pat Stanton play I can still see in my minds eye the majestic way he strode forward with the ball,head up, runners to left and right inspired by his leadership....

Never seen the likes of it before or since.

(actually I did see K Dalgleish once in 1974 at Pittodrie (when i was a student up there)boss the game against that excellent Aberdeen side...that was the nearest thing)

marinello59
06-02-2017, 02:16 PM
You guys have influence and numbers. I am an Admin on the Bounce and willing to suggest joint collaboration on this.

GGTTH

BIG G

In terms of publicity here , the Bounce and the various Facebook pages will have a major part to play. I just wonder if rather than the admins of any site running things a stand alone group would be the way forward. It may also be that depending on what people thought was best pushing for, (stand renaming, honorary position etc) we may (hopefully) be pushing against an open door.
Just thinking aloud, apologies if it seems like rambling. :greengrin

Liam978
06-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Whilst a statue is a great idea, it would need a consultation process with the Club, in terms of position to be situated etc. Maybe rename one of the suites in the stadium?

Would love a Famous Five statue too.

You are still a bad bad man haha !

Bill Milne
07-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Niddrie House.

He stayed in Niddrie Marischal Grove.

GORDONSMITH7
07-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Spot on Billy.

GGTTH

BIG G

Liam978
07-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Not so Billy, Niddrie Marischal street between the Rudkins and the Spanswicks.

Kato
07-02-2017, 05:00 PM

My bad.

Deffo not Craigmiller anyway, not in anyway dissing that fine area.

On certain Sunday mornings there would be a queue of youngsters outside God's mum's house being allowed to see Pat's medals. Like an Aladdin's Cave those cabinets in her living room. Bedazzling.

Many memories of Pat's mum getting on the 14 bus of a morning, respectful hush as she got on. She always seemed to be wearing something emerald green, I particularly remember a green coat she wore which was just beautiful. Lovely woman.

(If you're thinking I'm a tad obsessed with Pat Stanton, yer right.) :aok: :canwehaveagodsmiley?:

Kato
07-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Not so Billy, Niddrie Marischal street between the Rudkins and the Spanswicks.

Looking at this map I remember it being the grove, for some reason it says "ford" right nearby - -maybe Pat left a pair of shorts with Donald in the back pocket there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Jack+Kane+Sports+Centre/@55.9335456,-3.1201457,18.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4887b8fd94d12ff7:0xb1678584bebf2 7d5!8m2!3d55.9340303!4d-3.1186698

I was brought up in Niddrie Mill btw.

NAE NOOKIE
07-02-2017, 05:06 PM
The West should be the Sir Tom Farmer stand
Keep the famous five as is.
The East should be the Pat Stanton terrace.

Absolutely this ..... how can anybody argue :aok: