View Full Version : Team for next derby

alihibs1
04-02-2017, 07:57 PM
GK - Laidlaw

LB - Stevenson

RB - Sir David Gray

CB - Fontaine and Mcgregor

Midfield - Bartley, Mcginn, Dylan Mcgeoch and Fyvie

Play all 4 and pack the midfield. Bartley sitting furthest back with Fyvie and Mcgeoch in the middle with Mcginn playing a wee bit further forward.

Upfront - Cummings with Holt or Keatings

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Biggie
04-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Id go with that team with the exception of Fontaine, I'd have forster.
We cannot have Shinnie or Humphrey near the starting eleven or we're ****ed.

Hibeewilly
04-02-2017, 08:11 PM
GK - Laidlaw

LB - Stevenson

RB - Sir David Gray

CB - Fontaine and Mcgregor

Midfield - Bartley, Mcginn, Dylan Mcgeoch and Fyvie

Play all 4 and pack the midfield. Bartley sitting furthest back with Fyvie and Mcgeoch in the middle with Mcginn playing a wee bit further forward.

Upfront - Cummings with Holt or Keatings

That's the team to win us the game at Tynie next week IMHO - but will he play McGeouch? For me he should have started today - terrific player:top marks

Scooter
04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
What ever team it is we need to attack their full backs that's their weakness as well as get balls on top of the keeper.
Marciano
Grey
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Humpreys
Bartley
Fyvie
Boyle

Holt
Cummings

Let Bartley sit get our full backs over lapping and get crosses on top of the keeper

Hiber-nation
04-02-2017, 09:27 PM
What ever team it is we need to attack their full backs that's their weakness as well as get balls on top of the keeper.
Marciano
Grey
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Humpreys
Bartley
Fyvie
Boyle

Holt
Cummings

Let Bartley sit get our full backs over lapping and get crosses on top of the keeper

You'd play Humphrey but not McGinn? Seriously???!??

wookie70
04-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Like most Derbys I think it will be won in the midfield. I would go

Laidlaw

SDG
Fonts
Daz
Lewis

Boyle
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn

Holt
Jason

That gives us strength in the middle, cover for the fullbacks and centre halves and some width with Boyle who can attack their very shaky Left back. McGinn then plays where Walker is usually found and can hopefully make it hard for him before he gets near fonts. We should try to throw the ball into the penalty spot early to test the slippery fingers of Hamilton so Holt has to start. Of course it would be silly not to start Jason in any game particularly a Derby.

Scooter
04-02-2017, 09:37 PM
You'd play Humphrey but not McGinn? Seriously???!??

Needs width to get at their full back McGinn isn't a winger

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 09:39 PM

He is, however, out best player though.

wookie70
04-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Marciano
Grey
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Humpreys
Bartley
Fyvie
Boyle

Holt
Cummings

I think Hearts would destroy us if we play two up front and two out and out wingers. Humphrey has done nothing to deserve a start and was abysmal today. Not playing SJM in a high tempo physical derby would be crazy.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-02-2017, 09:42 PM

Hibernian team without McGinn when fit and able to play doesn't make sense. Understand the point about width but dropping a player with real quality would be a huge gamble.

macca70
04-02-2017, 09:43 PM

OMG, there's no words for a response to this!!

guthrie01
04-02-2017, 09:47 PM

Guessing you weren't at the game if you believe Humphrey deserves to be near the team let alone replacing McGinn. Like others have said

Bartley
Fyvie McGeouch
McGinn

Is the best midfield we can put out which lets us be more creative attacking while breaking up the play with big Marv.

northstandhibby
04-02-2017, 09:49 PM

Laidlaw

SDG
Fonts
Daz
Lewis

Boyle
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn

Holt
Jason

That gives us strength in the middle, cover for the fullbacks and centre halves and some width with Boyle who can attack their very shaky Left back. McGinn then plays where Walker is usually found and can hopefully make it hard for him before he gets near fonts. We should try to throw the ball into the penalty spot early to test the slippery fingers of Hamilton so Holt has to start. Of course it would be silly not to start Jason in any game particularly a Derby.

I would go for a team similar to this one. A solid 4 4 2 is I think the correct starting formation.

glory glory

Scooter
04-02-2017, 09:52 PM
Drop Fyvie then. I've watched hearts last 3 games and they aren't very good. Celtic won their game through the full backs and any joy the rangers or motherwell got was overlapping full backs.

No i wasn't at the game today I'm away. But Humphrey will get more space to run next week than he has since he joined

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Drop Fyvie then. I've watched hearts last 3 games and they aren't very good. Celtic won their game through the full backs and any joy the rangers or motherwell got was overlapping full backs.

No i wasn't at the game today I'm away. But Humphrey will get more space to run next week than he has since he joined

Your lineup makes slightly more sense now seeing as you weren't there today. But honestly man, after today there's only one player that could be dropped from that midfield.

Subbed off at half time says it all. How rare is that these days regardless of performance? Usually always get at least the first 15 of the second half.

Mr_F
04-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Marciano

SDG
Daz
Forster
Lewis

Humphreys
McGeouch
Bartley
McGinn
Boyle

Cummings

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Laidlaw

McGregor
Fontaine
Forster

Gray
McGeouch/Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Cummings
Holt

04-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Agree! Alteast I am not the only one who thinks Forster over Fontaine. Jordon knows what it means in a derby.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

04-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Marciano
Grey
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Humpreys
Bartley
Fyvie
Boyle

Holt
Cummings

Marciano injured

04-02-2017, 10:27 PM
Laidlaw

McGregor
Hanlon
Forster

Gray
McGeouch/Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Cummings
Holt
Hanlon injured

familyman
04-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Agree! Alteast I am not the only one who thinks Forster over Fontaine. Jordon knows what it means in a derby.

We often seem uncertain when Fontaine is playing, we should have signed another player as cover there as it is a crucial position n the team

marleyhib
04-02-2017, 10:35 PM
Rocky if fit / Laidlaw
SDG Fonts Darren Louis
Marv
Dylan SJM Fraser
Holt Jason

04-02-2017, 10:39 PM
We often seem uncertain when Fontaine is playing, we should have signed another player as cover there as it is a crucial position n the team
100% but Forster used to play in derbys under fenlon did he not? He was always the first to get his head to the ball from corners and i remember 2013 league cup derby at ER a wonderful header hit the crossbar. We lost 1-0 after ryan stevenson caught williams too far out...

04-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Laidlaw

Gray
Forster
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch

Cummings
Holt

Wheat Hound
04-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Laidlaw

Gray
Forster
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch

Cummings
Holt

This. Definitely this

Shrekko
04-02-2017, 11:38 PM
This. Definitely this

I agree too and think that will be the team except (unfortunately) Fontaine will remain in ahead of Forster who's had a couple of great games v Hearts.

04-02-2017, 11:45 PM
I agree too and think that will be the team except (unfortunately) Fontaine will remain in ahead of Forster who's had a couple of great games v Hearts.
Forster has had alot of derby experience in first team and development team. I think he would have the game of his life considering hes went from a first team regular to a bemch warmer

.Sean.
04-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Laidlaw

McGregor
Fontaine
Forster

Gray
McGeouch/Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
Stevenson

Cummings
Holt
Nearly my preferred team though I'd possibly be tempted to drop Bartley from that lineup to accommodate all of McGeough, Fyvie and McGinn. If we get to half time and we think we need an extra bit of toughness I'd put Bartley on.

If the three I mentioned are on-song and the back 3 stay switched on we won't get beat.

snooky
04-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Personally, I would keep Daz & Fontaine. I wouldn't experiment with Foster much as I think he is okay.
Anybody who picks Humphries on today's showing needs an eye test.
We'll need fighters to win this one, not ballet dancers.

J-C
05-02-2017, 12:31 AM
Rocky

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Lewis

Dylan
Fyvie
McGinn

Commons ( fingers crossed we get that emergency loan sorted )
Holt
Cummings

Waxy
05-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
Forster
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch

Cummings
Holt

Sent from my SM-A300FU using TapatalkYes

California-Hibs
05-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Marciano
Grey
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Humpreys
Bartley
Fyvie
Boyle

Holt
Cummings

No McGinn?? 😂 You drunk?

JK Rolling
05-02-2017, 12:43 AM
Marciano
Grey
McGregor
Fonts
Stevenson

Humpreys
Bartley
Fyvie
Boyle

Holt
Cummings

No McGinn, Good One. :whistle:

overdrive
05-02-2017, 02:04 AM
Marciano / Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Boyle
Bartley
McGinn
McGeough

Holt
Cummings

Liberal Hibby
05-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Just finished watching both halves of the Ayr Utd game and I'm as frustrated by Lennon's unneccesary tinkering as the rest.

But having said that there is only one spot up for grabs next week. Holt and Cummings will start up top. Today's back five will start too. Midfield diamond will be Bartley, McGinn and Fyvie and ANother - Mcgeogh or Shinnie or Keatings.

The bench will contain the width. Pace isn't about dribbling it's about what you do with the ball - as demonstrated by the difference between the first and second half today.

Lennon needs to understand the finacial envelope he's operating in. Having a first team squad of 40 like he had at Celtic or Bolton (which is why they went bust). Hibs clearly have a first team and a second team (including under 21s) and constant rotation isn't possible in those circumstances.

There are at at least eight starters each week when fit - just bloody play them!

kaimendhibs
05-02-2017, 03:05 AM
Dylan over Shinnie all day long

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pacoluna
05-02-2017, 03:10 AM
Along with mcginn, Mcgregor and Cummings, Bartley should be a stalwart in the hibs starting line up. When we go up he will be a key player.

Libby Hibby
05-02-2017, 07:21 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley
Fyvie
McGeoch
McGinn

Holt
Cummings

eastcoasthibby
05-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Laidlaw

SDG
Fonts
Daz
Lewis

Boyle
Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn

Holt
Jason

I would be happy with this though really think mcgeoch gives us more than Bartley in that it will be tight on the ground to play Dylan gives us that and just creates more ..not convinced we need the Bartley strength more than the Mcgeoch skill and over all ability to keep possession and make things happen.

Libby Hibby
05-02-2017, 08:52 AM
I would be happy with this though really think mcgeoch gives us more than Bartley in that it will be tight on the ground to play Dylan gives us that and just creates more ..not convinced we need the Bartley strength more than the Mcgeoch skill and over all ability to keep possession and make things happen.

I tend to agree but see Utd at home to see the worth of Bartley in the big games

PiemanP
05-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
Forster
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
Bartley
McGinn
McGeouch

Cummings
Holt

This one. My only concern is lack of width and picking up walker and Nicholson - Bartley needs to be all over these two.

Cummings and Holt are definitely our best pairing up top, I'm actually annoyed Lennon keeps chopping and changing so much up top, can't be good in helping these two build up a good understanding of each other.

I'd play Forster ahead of Fontaine. Both are prone to big lapses in concentration, but Fozzy kens what these games are all about and you always fancy a goal from him at corners.

Jones28
05-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Laidlaw

RB DG
CB DM
CB LF
LB LS

CM MB
CM FF

RAM DM
LAM SJM

LS JC
RS GH

A 4-2-2-2 with mcgeoch and McGinn in advanced attacking positions with fyvie or Bartley able to push in to space with one sitting deeper.

Hearts main threat is Walker, stifle his game and you stifle Hearts.

Fontaine didn't look sharp yesterday and I felt he was at fault for the goal but he grew in to the game and was strolling it by the final whistle.

Grant Holt is on the end of a lot of stick but he changed the game with his presence and hard work yesterday. Also his ability to work in tight areas and keep the ball is terrific and I would happily see him start every game.

Cummings once again dug us out of a hole.

McGinn is wasted as a sitting midfielder and was slotting in at centre half at some points yesterday, he must play further up the park.

Dylan has been unlucky and I would have him on the team every week.

3pm
05-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley
Fyvie
McGeoch
McGinn

Holt
Cummings

This one with Marciano in if he's fit.

andy1875
05-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Laidlaw

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley
McGinn
Fyvie
McGeouch
Boyle

Cummings

Bartley has to start for me. He was a machine against Dundee United. Dylan offers calmness in the middle and I really like Fyvie despite others on here digging him out constantly. McGinn needs no explanation.

I'd pick Boyle over Holt as he will offer more energy, create panic for spaces to open up.

mcfly
05-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Rocky

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Lewis

Dylan
Fyvie
McGinn

Commons ( fingers crossed we get that emergency loan sorted )
Holt
Cummings

I would go with this apart from Bartley has to play. We need him in that area to stop hearts trying to bully us.

I would not play holt as he's too slow and doesn't threat any goals.

Be great if commons was signed.

Slim Shady
05-02-2017, 09:45 AM
100% but Forster used to play in derbys under fenlon did he not? He was always the first to get his head to the ball from corners and i remember 2013 league cup derby at ER a wonderful header hit the crossbar. We lost 1-0 after ryan stevenson caught williams too far out...

Also scored one in a Derby but was ruled offside, replays showed he was clearly inside about 5 yards.

alihibs1
05-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Bartley dominated in both derby's last year. MOTM for both of them

Hermit Crab
05-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Boyle and Humphrey must play switching wings against a 37 year old Aaron Hughes.

FC Leige
05-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Its got to be a 3-5-2. Keep their their strikers quiet and flood the midfield. We need Gray and Stevenson playing high up the park stopping Walker and Nicholson on the wings. Its a pity Hanlon is out and i fought Fontaine was a bomb scare yesterday but with little option we've got to go with Forster, Big Daz and Fontaine

neil7908
05-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Boyle and Humphrey must play switching wings against a 37 year old Aaron Hughes.

But if they both play it'll be against Hearts fullbacks, not Hughes who will be at centre back.

After yesterday there is no way I want to see Humphreys start at Tynecastle. Even Boyle did very little and still doesn't have enough consistency with his end product.

FC Leige
05-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Boyle and Humphrey must play switching wings against a 37 year old Aaron Hughes. Humphrey was poor yesterday. Ayr easily sussed him out and just doubled up every time he attacked. Boyle is fast but very inconsistent. We need grafters in the middle of the park and to sacrifice the wingers. I would go with McGinn, McGeouch and Fyvie/Bartley

05-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Also scored one in a Derby but was ruled offside, replays showed he was clearly inside about 5 yards.
Exactly. He is a much better choice than bombscare fontaine

JimBHibees
05-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Not sure I would play Humphrey after yesterday.

JimBHibees
05-02-2017, 12:38 PM

Wow. Based on what evidence.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2017, 12:44 PM

Only one of those 2 is a bomscare and it isn't Fontaine. Forster gave away a penalty vs a junior team, I hate to think what happens with Walker running at him. He is good to bring on with 5 to play if we're winning but he isn't good enough to start every week.

05-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Only one of those 2 is a bomscare and it isn't Fontaine. Forster gave away a penalty vs a junior team, I hate to think what happens with Walker running at him. He is good to bring on with 5 to play if we're winning but he isn't good enough to start every week.
Did you watch the highlights??😂😂 Forster made no contact and fat jason cummings wannabe clearly dived.

Hermit Crab
05-02-2017, 12:58 PM
We need to go out and boot them off the park this time instead of them doing it to us.

Libby Hibby
05-02-2017, 01:10 PM
We need to go out and boot them off the park this time instead of them doing it to us.

I don't think 'booting them off the park' is necessary and probably won't be tolerated by the ref but I do think we need to play our most physical team against them as they will be physical against us and that needs to matched.

EastCalderHibby
05-02-2017, 01:11 PM

good goal threat at set pieces too

05-02-2017, 01:12 PM
good goal threat at set pieces too
Deffinitley always trying to get his head to the ball. 2013 derby at ER when we lost 1-0 he unfortunatley hit the crossbar with a really nice header. Wont happen but he deserves a start

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Did you watch the highlights??😂😂 Forster made no contact and fat jason cummings wannabe clearly dived.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using TapatalkForster was wrong side and regardless of him diving on not the guy would've been through on goal. He does things like this a lot when he gets a run of games, he was playing every week as we got relegated and somehow Nelson/McGivern get all the blame. He even gave away a pen in the playoff final when on loan last season.

Fonts is a much better defender and footballer in general.

Ronniekirk
05-02-2017, 05:32 PM
That's the team to win us the game at Tynie next week IMHO - but will he play McGeouch? For me he should have started today - terrific player:top marks

He isnt match fit but was on the bench yesterday You wouldbof thought it was a dead cert he would of got a run out to try and win the game and to get game time before the Derby
Big risk to thow him straight into that one and expect he to see it through unscathed So likely to come off the bench iimo

Turkish Green
05-02-2017, 05:38 PM
Comparing the yams line-up of yesterday against the line-up under Neilson, it appears that Cathro has found a couple of decent full-backs. Even when Paterson was playing he was never a defender and Smith was an easy target as a replacement, this Struna looked comfortable on the ball and controlled his channel.

They look strong in midfield but their main weaknesses is their goalkeeper, defending corners and high balls into the box. Forster v Fontaine? I would go with the better header of the ball: which IMO is Forster.

JimBHibees
05-02-2017, 05:47 PM
Comparing the yams line-up of yesterday against the line-up under Neilson, it appears that Cathro has found a couple of decent full-backs. Even when Paterson was playing he was never a defender and Smith was an easy target as a replacement, this Struna looked comfortable on the ball and controlled his channel.

They look strong in midfield but their main weaknesses is their goalkeeper, defending corners and high balls into the box. Forster v Fontaine? I would go with the better header of the ball: which IMO is Forster.

Their left back is a bomb scare reasonable going forward but weak defensively. Not convinced they are great at centre back either if we press them we will get chances to score. Their goalie is a nervous wreck also. Piece of cake. :greengrin

jimbob07
05-02-2017, 09:25 PM
I watched Hearts last two games on TVs. Thought they played quite well v rangers but they were woeful. Against Motherwell I saw absolutely nothing for Hibs to fear and the score line flattered them. Derbies are always hard to call but if we play to our potential we WILL BEAT THEM GGTTH

Coco Bryce
06-02-2017, 10:22 AM
McGregor's missus due to give birth at the weekend. Hope she doesn't disturb Darren's sleep leading up to the game :greengrin

miy00015
06-02-2017, 11:14 AM
McGregor's missus due to give birth at the weekend. Hope she doesn't disturb Darren's sleep leading up to the game :greengrin

Almost exactly 9 months after the cup final. Good man is Daz haha

southern hibby
06-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Almost exactly 9 months after the cup final. Good man is Daz haha

So maybe just maybe Daz did score cup final day.

GGTTH

CockneyRebel
06-02-2017, 12:20 PM
So maybe just maybe Daz did score cup final day.

GGTTH

Cool

eastmainsmsh
06-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Rocky

Gray
McGregor
Fontaine
Stevenson

Humphrey
Fyvie
Bartley