PDA

View Full Version : Six Nations 2017

Scottie
04-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Great win for Scotland today over Ireland 27-22. Hard fought and plenty of guts on display. :aok:

England sneak home against France 19-16.

Great start to the tournament. Bonus points on offer for more attacking rugby. Going to be a great 5 weeks of rugby viewing.

Mr White
04-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Yes yes Scotland won woohoo etc...

the important question though is what type of flags did the Irish lads have with them :devil:

hfc rd
05-02-2017, 12:15 AM
Great performance by Scotland! Done the nation proud against a very good Ireland side. Wish the national football team had the same effort and passion as these rugby lads do when they play for their country.

Glad the 6 Nations is back and it's going to be some great rugby over the next couple of weeks.

Got tickets for both the Wales & Italy matches @ Murrayfield. Really can't wait!

heretoday
05-02-2017, 03:42 PM
I find Rugby a bit dull these days. Yesterday it largely consisted of a line of big guys hammering into another line of big guys. When they occasionally lost possession, the other guys got a shot.

It's great when they run with the ball but there seemed to be more of that in former times.

Mr White
05-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Wales scored a couple of good tries today.

McD
05-02-2017, 04:43 PM
I find Rugby a bit dull these days. Yesterday it largely consisted of a line of big guys hammering into another line of big guys. When they occasionally lost possession, the other guys got a shot.

It's great when they run with the ball but there seemed to be more of that in former times.

Mostly down to the very flat defensive lines, so little space compared to say 20ish years ago.

Also, a little like football, it's easier to coach a relatively limited team defensively than in an attacking sense.

Interestingly, the summarising group on BBC pointed out that scotlands performance yesterday was similar to that of a typical New Zealand performance, where they have less possession but score more points.

nellio
07-02-2017, 12:58 PM
I've got no confidence in Wales this time with Howley at the helm. We were disappointing in the autumn besides S Africa. Found it really though going again Italy for the first hour and not getting a bonus point out there could really prove to be problematic.

Very impressed by Scotland though. Wouldn't be surprised it they beat Wales if they play like that. France in Paris will be a big test for them.

hfc rd
08-02-2017, 05:51 PM
I've got no confidence in Wales this time with Howley at the helm. We were disappointing in the autumn besides S Africa. Found it really though going again Italy for the first hour and not getting a bonus point out there could really prove to be problematic.

Very impressed by Scotland though. Wouldn't be surprised it they beat Wales if they play like that. France in Paris will be a big test for them.

Wales seem like the one side not on an upward curve but there is still real quality there and the Welsh have a knack for stepping up on a Lions year. Their front row will need a big improvement but in AW Jones, Tipuric, Warburton, Faletau, Biggar and Liam Williams they have quality to challenge anyone on their day.

Scotland are maybe the most exciting prospect. For the first time in years this is a Scottish side without too many weaknesses. Dominated by a strong Glasgow side and a very effective loose 5, the Scots boast possibly the form 10 in Europe at the moment and in Seymour, Hogg and Jones, some genuine class out wide. Front row is a worry though and they'll be hoping to see less of the silly errors and poor judgement calls that have plagued their national and domestic teams in recent matches.

BroxburnHibee
08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Thought Scotland took there chances very well which has been one of our biggest problems of the last few years.

Great defensive display in the second half gave us the platform to win the match.

Thought Ireland started poorly lots of errors but then showed they'll still have a big say in the championship.

France game is massive. Win that and we've got a real chance.

How good is it to have a truly world class player in Hogg? Surely guaranteed to get the full back spot for the Lions.

Hibee87
08-02-2017, 09:56 PM
See this points thing, what I don't get us a team could win the grand slam but get no bonus points and another could win all but one game and get a bonus point in each. You would auto think the grand slam team is the winner but points say otherwise

BroxburnHibee
08-02-2017, 10:07 PM
See this points thing, what I don't get us a team could win the grand slam but get no bonus points and another could win all but one game and get a bonus point in each. You would auto think the grand slam team is the winner but points say otherwise

Grand Slam gets 3 bonus points so at least 23 points.

NYHibby
09-02-2017, 12:31 PM
If anyone is looking to get ride of a ticket for the England game, I might be interested.

nellio
09-02-2017, 12:39 PM
If anyone is looking to get ride of a ticket for the England game, I might be interested.

That game is at Twickenham in case you didn't know.

Danderhall Hibs
09-02-2017, 05:57 PM

As Broxburn says that's why they're giving 3 points to anyone that wins the grand slam - to ensure they win the championship.

I'm not sure - seems a bit of a contradiction.

No one got a bonus last weekend either so it seems as if it's not really a concern for the teams. We had a chance to go for it at the end but took the safe option.

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2017, 09:40 PM

You will ride someone for a ticket! That's dedication or desperation depending on the gender of the ticket holder I guess.

Danderhall Hibs
12-02-2017, 03:45 PM
This refs desperate to give them penalties today.

cabbageandribs1875
15-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Greig Laidlaw out for the rest of the series, huge blow for scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38984204

Scottish Rugby confirmed the 58-time capped player sustained ligament damage against the French.

Danderhall Hibs
15-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Greig Laidlaw out for the rest of the series, huge blow for scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38984204

Scottish Rugby confirmed the 58-time capped player sustained ligament damage against the French.

I'm not sure it's a massive blow tbh. He's replaceable as a scrum half - obviously the captaincy is important so not sure who'll get that gig. And as for goal kicking he only takes the kicks from close in (hence his high percentage) so hopefully Russell can step up to the mark,

HibernianJK
16-02-2017, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure it's a massive blow tbh. He's replaceable as a scrum half - obviously the captaincy is important so not sure who'll get that gig. And as for goal kicking he only takes the kicks from close in (hence his high percentage) so hopefully Russell can step up to the mark,

Agreed, his experience and kicking will be missed however his all round play won't be. Ali Price is so much quicker at the ruck and around the fringes which will hopefully show vs Wales.

nellio
17-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Scotland will miss his leadership I think. I can see Scotland beating us next Saturday, might even put a few quid on it.

Danderhall Hibs
17-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Scotland will miss his leadership I think. I can see Scotland beating us next Saturday, might even put a few quid on it.

Hopefully someone else steps up as the leader - maybe one of the Gray's.

I think you're right - I fancied this game before the tournament and after Ireland even more so. You raised your game v England and I think that level will drop because you're not capable twice in a row and "it's only Scotland" complacency.

cabbageandribs1875
17-02-2017, 02:57 PM

hopefully no muck-ups with any conversions :eek: and another player out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39007432

Scotland number eight Josh Strauss has been ruled out of the rest of the Six Nations campaign through injury.

It represents a second injury blow for the Scots after captain Greig Laidlaw was also ruled out (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38984204) of the remainder of the championship.

Danderhall Hibs
17-02-2017, 05:16 PM
hopefully no muck-ups with any conversions :eek: and another player out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39007432

Scotland number eight Josh Strauss has been ruled out of the rest of the Six Nations campaign through injury.

It represents a second injury blow for the Scots after captain Greig Laidlaw was also ruled out (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38984204) of the remainder of the championship.

Strauss is a loss.

That conversion was a joke - apparently Hines told him to hurry up and take it before the ref called on the tmo.

nellio
20-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Just got a ticket for Scotland Wales on the weekend. Should be a good game. I think it will be close with Wales just edging it. I would have said you lot of Laidlaw and Strauss were playing but think we have better depth.

By my calculations I should have an hour to get down to ER after to watch the Hibees. Should be able to get from Murrayfield to ER in about an hour.

Golden Bear
25-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Not a great game so far. Wales looking the stronger team in a scrappy encounter. 6-13 after 35mins.

cabbageandribs1875
25-02-2017, 03:14 PM
what a result, didn't see that one coming :thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
25-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Quality. Barclay stepped up as captain, Russell's kicking was excellent and we have a better scrum half now.

Twiglet
25-02-2017, 03:44 PM
Great from Scotland in the second half. Wales were better in the first half, but we came out determined to win in the second.
Russell's kicking was good, topped off by the last penalty he scored, not the easiest. I've been a critic of him in the past, but he definitely deserved his motm award.

hfc rd
25-02-2017, 08:29 PM
Great atmosphere at Murrayfield today! Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next home game against Italy! The Welsh fans turned up in very good numbers. Wales absolutely battered us in the 1st half and deservedly were winning at the break. 2nd half, a totally different Scotland team turned up and I believe that took the Welsh by surprise as we hammered them in that 2nd period.

Jim44
26-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Italy beating England 10-5 at half time. Clive Woodward in the prematch discussion said that Italy had improved and there was less chance of England winning by 70 points. "It's more likely to be a 30 to 40 margin." England will probably go on and win easily but the first half certainly left egg on the arrogant Englishman's chin.

easty
27-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Some of the chat coming from the English after the game is embarrassing. "That's not rugby" and "Well done Italy for ruining this international".

Obviously what they should have done was try to play like England do, and end up getting hammered.

It's like listening to Wenger doing his wee whinging routine when Arsenal get beat.

Scouse Hibee
27-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Some of the chat coming from the English after the game is embarrassing. "That's not rugby" and "Well done Italy for ruining this international".

Obviously what they should have done was try to play like England do, and end up getting hammered.

It's like listening to Wenger doing his wee whinging routine when Arsenal get beat.

Arse only says it when they lose though,England won.

easty
27-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Arse only days it when they lose though,England won.

True

cabbageandribs1875
27-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Italy beating England 10-5 at half time. Clive Woodward in the prematch discussion said that Italy had improved and there was less chance of England winning by 70 points. "It's more likely to be a 30 to 40 margin." England will probably go on and win easily but the first half certainly left egg on the arrogant Englishman's chin.

he has a bit to go to match the arrogance and ignorance of eddie jones

Sergio sledge
27-02-2017, 10:23 AM
he has a bit to go to match the arrogance and ignorance of eddie jones

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39099584

He's a bit of a twat isn't he? "That's not rugby"... em yes Eddie it is. If your players aren't smart enough to think on their feet and deviate from the structure and system you have sent them out to play then that's your problem and it isn't up to the other team to meekly sit back and let you play that system.

Where were the leaders in the team? Instead of playing heads up rugby England needed the referee to tell them to ask their coach what to do. It was obvious all they needed to do was either pick and drive up the field until Italy started committing the players to the ruck or start grabbing shirts to hold players into the tackle area. I bet Italy couldn't believe that it confused England for so long. they probably assumed it might work for the first few tackles and then be sussed out after that, but it worked for nearly the whole first half before England tried something different.

For all their long winning run, England are not playing well and I fancy Scotland to cause them a few problems in the next game. I don't think we'll win but it won't be a blow out victory for England.

nellio
27-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Scotland were superb in the 2nd half against Wales. We were poor but cant take anything away from the Scots. Really hope they can beat England now. C'mon Scotland!

McD
27-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Scotland were superb in the 2nd half against Wales. We were poor but cant take anything away from the Scots. Really hope they can beat England now. C'mon Scotland!

Classy mate :thumbsup:

Lancs Harp
27-02-2017, 10:32 PM

In contrast I was glad Scotland beat Wales but really hope England beat Scotland. Just for balance like :wink:

hfc rd
10-03-2017, 11:16 PM
Great result and performance by the Welsh. Thoroughly deserved.

Now cannot wait for the Scotland game later today. Really hope we win as it will stop England equalling the NZ record for consecutive wins. If we do manage to somehow win it, then a bonus point victory at Murrayfield against Italy will potentially give us the championship as England will need to win with 4 tries at Dublin.

Jim44
11-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Scotland down to 14 men for ten minutes. Down 7pts to 0. England taking Scotland apart.

Scouse Hibee
11-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Come on Engerlaaaaaaaaaaaand 10-0

Jim44
11-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Men against wee laddies I'm afraid. Total embarrassment. Scotland reverting to type.

murray26
11-03-2017, 03:50 PM
North British no voters getting humped off there masters.. I'm gutted..

cabbageandribs1875
11-03-2017, 03:52 PM
turned over to the footy after 20 mins at twickenham, game was over after a few minutes when that clown got himself a yellow card, injury after injury, even a replacement got replaced after just a few mins, hogg going off injured was the final straw(for me anyway) as for finn freakin russell...well

Golden Bear
11-03-2017, 04:05 PM

Are you even old enough to vote?

murray26
11-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Are you even old enough to vote?

Good one👍

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2017, 04:17 PM
Farcical performance, I thought we'd turned a corner, oh well.

BroxburnHibee
11-03-2017, 04:19 PM
Completely froze today I'm afraid.

Jim44
11-03-2017, 04:35 PM
Farcical performance, I thought we'd turned a corner, oh well.

I was beginning to feel sorry for Cotter getting the heave as he had the team going places. Townsend will hopefully pick up the pieces.

CropleyWasGod
11-03-2017, 05:09 PM
How did the individual players in the team vote?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
11-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Really, really humiliating. No positives whatsoever from that "performance" our joint worst ever defeat against England.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-03-2017, 09:40 PM
The womens team got pumped 64-0!

Lancs Harp
11-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Bad day at the office for Scotland, started badly, defended really poorly and made far too many errors. In contrast they caught England on a good day. Scotland are a better team than they showed today, you're moving in the right direction despite todays set back.

heretoday
11-03-2017, 09:57 PM
We lost the physical battle.

Sir David Gray
11-03-2017, 11:05 PM
Despite not really liking rugby, I was actually quite looking forward to watching the match today.

All the vibes coming from the media were suggesting that Scotland had, at the very least, a fighting chance of competing with England.

Within 10 minutes, I had turned it off and although I did switch it back now and again it was only for a couple of minutes at a time.

It was an horrendous day for Scottish rugby and a real setback when a lot of people had been saying how well Scotland was doing these days and how we were now amongst the top nations in the world.

Today was a total embarrassment of a result, I know that even although I know very little about rugby as a sport and we clearly still have a long way to go.

cabbageandribs1875
12-03-2017, 02:37 AM
any scots watching our rugby sevens team will most likely be quite appalled at the lack of quality even in our sevens team at the canadian round this weekend, russia just won their first game against us in 11 years, we can't even pass a freakin ball, we can't even convert in front of goals, the 7's team the last two weekends are utter p@sh, seriously lacking in quality and horrible to watch, lord knows what neutrals at the last two venues must think, every single team i've saw this weekend has at the very least shown some pride with loads of effort...what a shameful weekend for scottish rugby at every level

hibsbollah
12-03-2017, 06:02 AM
It's a stupid sport anyway.

HibernianJK
12-03-2017, 08:02 AM
any scots watching our rugby sevens team will most likely be quite appalled at the lack of quality even in our sevens team at the canadian round this weekend, russia just won their first game against us in 11 years, we can't even pass a freakin ball, we can't even convert in front of goals, the 7's team the last two weekends are utter p@sh, seriously lacking in quality and horrible to watch, lord knows what neutrals at the last two venues must think, every single team i've saw this weekend has at the very least shown some pride with loads of effort...what a shameful weekend for scottish rugby at every level

I'm sure there has been some quite severe issues with the funding of the 7's program and it is lucky to still be running. That's just what I've heard.

Hibby Bairn
12-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Used to like watching rugby internationals. Now pretty much just a physical battle....much more so than it used to be. Fairly boring and largely predictable. Huge men battering each other.

Billy Whizz
12-03-2017, 06:42 PM
It's a stupid sport anyway.

Think I heard/read somewhere, that at least 4 players had to leave the pitch yesterday due to head injuries. Is Sport now getting too brutal?

JackLadd
13-03-2017, 02:27 AM
Used to like watching rugby internationals. Now pretty much just a physical battle....much more so than it used to be. Fairly boring and largely predictable. Huge men battering each other.

Which is why there are so many injuries. You watch the amateur days pre 1996 and they were fairly regular guys with a bit of bulk or just athletic, very few 120kg monsters. They still had a bit of finesse about them. It's kind of turned into NFL without helmets.

Jim44
18-03-2017, 01:18 PM
29-0 Scotland with 5 minutes to go. Come back Verne Cotter. Scotland might regret getting rid of him.

NZ Green
18-03-2017, 02:11 PM
29-0 Scotland with 5 minutes to go. Come back Verne Cotter. Scotland might regret getting rid of him.
I think it must have been purely Verne's decision to leave, he got us to 5th in the world rankings, which is mental.

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2017, 11:44 PM
I think it must have been purely Verne's decision to leave, he got us to 5th in the world rankings, which is mental.

It wasn't. We wanted to keep Townsend on the books and the only way to do that was to offer him the Scotland job.

Seems a bit rash but then again Cotter took Townsends team and claimed it. It'll be interesting to see how Townsend gets on with "his" team.

cabbageandribs1875
22-05-2017, 02:22 PM
well done the scottish 7's in repeating last years superb cup win at twickers, this time beating the hosts themselves in the final :agree: also a first ever win v New Zealand at any level and that after being 21-0 down :cup: