PDA

View Full Version : Ball boys.

Hibs331875
04-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Ball boys were a joke today. Chasing the game at 1-0 down, and even at 1-1. Zero urgency, do they not understand the game or get encouraged before hand? The one behind the goal at the south end didn't get up once. Sack them all, disgrace.

Row H
04-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Ball boys were a joke today. Chasing the game at 1-0 down, and even at 1-1. Zero urgency, do they not understand the game or get encouraged before hand? The one behind the goal at the south end didn't get up once. Sack them all, disgrace.

😂😂😂😂

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 06:24 PM

I also mentioned this today. They don't seem to actually get the ball these days and just sit watching the game. Years ago you'd get three all chasing it!

Andy74
04-02-2017, 06:26 PM
I also mentioned this today. They don't seem to actually get the ball these days and just sit watching the game. Years ago you'd get three all chasing it!

I mentioned it too. Not for the first time. We could do with briefing them a bit or changing our approach to who we use. Rangers use teenagers I think and they know when to not bother or to get the thing back as quickly as possible.

Hibs331875
04-02-2017, 06:27 PM
It's no rocket science, surely they're Hibs fans. Old enough to understand and see we're chasing it

hibby6270
04-02-2017, 06:28 PM
:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Mind you the one in middle of West stand (FF end) was up for it today, throwing the ball straight at Ayr players face in second half. Thought the player was gonna give ball boy a slap but he thought better of it.:greengrin:greengrin

Broken Gnome
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Genuinely thought this afternoon we'd outsourced this to people with no connection to Hibs whatever. Can't have been Hibs fans, surely.

SRHibs
It's time Rod loosened the purse strings and brought in a higher calibre of ball boy.

Golden Bear
Aye the lads in the south stand should be penalised for a poor performance by forcing them to eat a couple of the infamous half time pies.

snooky
04-02-2017, 06:32 PM
:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Mind you the one in middle of West stand (FF end) was up for it today, throwing the ball straight at Ayr players face in second half. Thought the player was gonna give ball boy a slap but he thought better of it.:greengrin:greengrin

Aye, the Ayr player was playing the time-wasting game and the laddie threw the ball AT him rather than TO him. Guid laddie that. :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
04-02-2017, 06:33 PM

Is this a wind up?

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 06:33 PM
I mentioned it too. Not for the first time. We could do with briefing them a bit or changing our approach to who we use. Rangers use teenagers I think and they know when to not bother or to get the thing back as quickly as possible.

It's crazy Andy, as you say it's hasn't been the first time either. I agree I'd defo be speaking to them!

kaimendhibs
04-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Ball boys have been awful.at Easter Road for years. Just an excuse to see the match for nowt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hibs331875
04-02-2017, 06:37 PM
Is this a wind up?
Does it look like a wind up with everyone in agreement?

jabis
04-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Whiners will find someone to whine about😱

Hibernia&Alba
04-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Does it look like a wind up with everyone in agreement?

They're children; calling them a disgrace who should be sacked :confused:

theonlywayisup
04-02-2017, 06:40 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

OMG it's the ball boys fault.............

Hibs331875
04-02-2017, 06:43 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

OMG it's the ball boys fault.............
'OMG' what are you a 12 year old girl.

theonlywayisup
04-02-2017, 06:45 PM
'OMG' what are you a 12 year old girl.

I've no idea what you are talking about. Please explain.

danhibees1875
04-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Championship standard ball boys for a championship standard team. We almost got a loan of some ball boys from England but the deal fell through, partially due to petrie not stumping up the required 5 pack of chewits.

Onceinawhile
04-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Most of the ball boys as I understand ithat play for the youth teams.

The one at the corner of the West and North certainly made an effort despite looking like he was hurt.

Jones28
04-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Was it not the case a while ago when Alex MacLeish was at der Hun he instructed the ball boys to be as quick as they could as they were down on aggregate in Europe?

Callyballybe
04-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Lennon was also very close to signing a couple of ex Celtic ball boys just before the transfer window shut - It seems Leeann and Rod left it too late.

SChibs
04-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Don't think anyone is blaming the ball boys for the performance but a member of our management team ran halfway down the touchline to get the ball this Afternoon while two of them sat down. They are there to do a job and if they are hibs fans they could show a bit of urgency.

Smartie
04-02-2017, 06:58 PM
I actually thought this today as well, although I feel a bit rubbish blaming kids.

I'd have thought there would be some kind of instructions before the game that if we're behind we should get the ball back as quickly as possible.

There were times during the second half that the lack of urgency had me wondering - do we want to win this f*****g league or what?

theonlywayisup
04-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Don't think anyone is blaming the ball boys for the performance but a member of our management team ran halfway down the touchline to get the ball this Afternoon while two of them sat down. They are there to do a job and if they are hibs fans they could show a bit of urgency.

They are probably aged 12 years old. Some will be "in your face die hard Hibs fans", some will be "timid die hard Hibs fans". It wasn't the ball boys that caused the drop of points today.

One Day Soon
04-02-2017, 07:01 PM
Anyone who thinks these things don't matter clearly hasn't being paying attention to how the game works these days.

When you are a goal down and in danger of dropping three points against a team that began time wasting before the first half had ended then getting the ball in play as quickly as possible is pretty important. I thought the ball people were pretty dozy generally.

At other stadiums I've seen the ball people dragging their feet when it suited and going around like Billy Whizz at other times. We've seen pitches deliberately watered to stop flair teams from playing and we see pitches widened and narrowed. Anything that can contribute a margin matters - including switched-on ball people.

The only thing I can say in their defence today is that they seemed no more lethargic than our players.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 07:02 PM
They are probably aged 12 years old. Some will be "in your face die hard Hibs fans", some will be "timid die hard Hibs fans". It wasn't the ball boys that caused the drop of points today.

You are missing the point here, no one is blaming the ball boys for a draw. Folk are saying they don't do their job! Been the same all season including the wins. It's strange how they just sit on their arse all game!

Pretty Boy
04-02-2017, 07:03 PM
It's been this way for years.

I sat in the FF lower the year we were in the play offs v Airdrie and every game we were losing or drawing that season saw Jim Leighton doing his very best not to completely lose it with the ball boys for being slow.

At the end of the day they are only kids and their minds will wander.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 07:04 PM
It's been this way for years.

I sat in the FF lower the year we were in the play offs v Airdrie and every game we were losing or drawing that season saw Jim Leighton doing his very best not to completely lose it with the ball boys for being slow.

At the end of the day they are only kids and their minds will wander.

Not buying their minds will wander PB. I mind years ago they would fight to get the ball now they are lazy ****s simple as that.

SChibs
04-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Like I said nobody is blaming them for the performance but actually getting the ball is the job of a ball boy and some of them weren't even doing that!

emerald green
04-02-2017, 07:07 PM
It's not the ball boys fault if / when Hibs lose a game.

However, it doesn't help matters if it takes unnecessarily long to get the ball back into play if Hibs are chasing the game, and the opposition are already wasting time at every opportunity.

Pete
04-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Their first thought when they need to act is "Ach, is there not an app I can use to get the ball?"

Hibs Class
04-02-2017, 07:10 PM
We need ball boys who will show this level of commitment and cunning.

https://youtu.be/sd38KUjmOho

hibbysam
04-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Last years play off second leg against Raith we brought in quite clearly older ball boys, possibly under 17/19 team to get the ball back quicker.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 07:12 PM
We need ball boys who will show this level of commitment and cunning.

https://youtu.be/sd38KUjmOho

A 17 year old ball boy?!? Deserved to be kicked.

Hibs Class
04-02-2017, 07:16 PM
A 17 year old ball boy?!? Deserved to be kicked.

I think his Dad was Swansea owner or major shareholder, or there was some connection along those lines.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 07:19 PM
I think his Dad was Swansea owner or major shareholder, or there was some connection along those lines.

Ah I see! Imagine that happened up here. No way out referees would have the stones to send the player off! Unless that player was Bartley of course

Deansy
04-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Anyone who thinks these things don't matter clearly hasn't being paying attention to how the game works these days.

When you are a goal down and in danger of dropping three points against a team that began time wasting before the first half had ended then getting the ball in play as quickly as possible is pretty important. I thought the ball people were pretty dozy generally.

At other stadiums I've seen the ball people dragging their feet when it suited and going around like Billy Whizz at other times. We've seen pitches deliberately watered to stop flair teams from playing and we see pitches widened and narrowed. Anything that can contribute a margin matters - including switched-on ball people.

The only thing I can say in their defence today is that they seemed no more lethargic than our players.

Agree - though they may only be ball-boys but every little helps !

I'm sure there was an important international years ago in the 80's/90's (??) Austria V Scotland and the SFA made a complaint over their ball-boys antics in returning the ball after Austria scored ?

snooky
04-02-2017, 07:54 PM
I actually thought this today as well, although I feel a bit rubbish blaming kids.

I'd have thought there would be some kind of instructions before the game that if we're behind we should get the ball back as quickly as possible.

There were times during the second half that the lack of urgency had me wondering - do we want to win this f*****g league or what?

Seriously, that very thought crossed my mind in the first half too.

macca70
04-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Let's do a role reversal, make Lennon a Ball Boy and let the Ball Boys pick the team.

I bet the Ball Boys won't play Keatings up front on his own!!

Hibernian Verse
04-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Maybe we should try some Maltese ball boys?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HappyHanlon
04-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Useless ball gathering little people who will probably amount to nothing in their wretched lives.

brianmc
04-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Useless ball gathering little people who will probably amount to nothing in their wretched lives.

Haha :)

JK Rolling
04-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Whiners will find someone to whine about😱

Yup. It had nothing to do with the players.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Yup. It had nothing to do with the players.

You seriously think folk are blaming ball boys for this draw? I've seen Hibs win a lot this season ball boys have still been lazy little ****s! But hey I blame them too that when we win it wasn't 10-0 Instead of 2-0.

GreenArmy1875
04-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Is it the same kids every week or is it picked from Hibs Kids?

Brizo
05-02-2017, 06:32 AM
I find the term "ball boy" archaic and quite frankly sexist in the 21st century. They should be known as "ball persons". Freeing them from outdated gender stereotypes might give them a greater sense of self worth.... and make them move quicker.

Any fan rep who makes this the number one priority in their election campaign will get my vote....

Hibs Class
05-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Is it the same kids every week or is it picked from Hibs Kids?

When my son was a Hibs kid there were draws for both mascots and ball boys, but around that time they started getting the players from our younger teams to do it, think the reason was to get them more involved in and used to match days.

Golden Bear
05-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Let's do a role reversal, make Lennon a Ball Boy and let the Ball Boys pick the team.

I bet the Ball Boys won't play Keatings up front on his own!!

:aok:

Hibrandenburg
05-02-2017, 07:58 AM

Too busy updating their Facebook profile.

J-C
05-02-2017, 09:05 AM
I've never understood why we have one ball for the game instead of 3-4 so as it can be tossed back quicker, you see it in EPL all the time, ball goes out another thrown back right away to keep it flowing.

Forza Fred
06-02-2017, 02:12 AM
Surely the ball boys should just be instructed and trained to return the ball a sap REGARDLESS of what the score is.....

swordin3
06-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Maybe we should have a ballboy or girl "bootcamp" to buck there ideas up. Always thought the plastic stools they sit on looked to comfy.:rolleyes: I am sure I seen one with his iphone out watching the rugby on Sat little bleeders! Problem simply fixed, rubber advertising hoarding. Your welcome!:faf:

Eyrie
06-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Surely the ball boys should just be instructed and trained to return the ball a sap REGARDLESS of what the score is.....
Disagree. The speed at which they return the ball should be based on the game situation.

Always thought the plastic stools they sit on looked to comfy
If we're losing, then use the stools to give them an electric shock and prompt them to run faster after the ball. If we're winning, activate a large magnet so they can't get up to retrieve the ball.

FC Leige
06-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Ball boys have been awful.at Easter Road for years. Just an excuse to see the match for nowt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk That was the reason i was a ball boy during the 77-78 season. Then someone told me it was less hassle just climbing over the wall at the Dunbar End.

stantonhibby
06-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Disagree. The speed at which they return the ball should be based on the game situation.

If we're losing, then use the stools to give them an electric shock and prompt them to run faster after the ball. If we're winning, activate a large magnet so they can't get up to retrieve the ball.

This sounds like a plan

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2017, 10:28 PM
I know folk are having a bit of a laugh with this, but its a fact that the ball 'persons' have an important part to play. How much time was lost to the game on Saturday due to Ayr Utd's time wasting?

If time was being lost because the kids were taking too long to return the ball, is the time lost through that that not just as important as the time wasted by Ayr?
If an opposition player wasting time is enough to get folk riled up and bawling at the ref to make them hurry up, why is it less important, or even a cause for levity, if our own club is failing to impress on these kids the importance of getting the ball back into play quickly when we are behind in a game?

Look at the Tennis at Wimbledon .... these kids are drilled until they run like a well oiled machine. I don't know if Hibs have a system, but if they don't they should have with each kid given a zone to cover and a couple of them placed in amongst the empty seats in the away end ..... If that saved Hibs even 3 minutes a game and that meant the difference between a win and a draw even in one game it would be worth it.

Nicho87
06-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Agree this theead has some backing. The rangers game in the playoff we had older kids and clearly knew there job. Get the back when we need a goal, leave it if we dont. Makes sense.