PDA

View Full Version : Lennon's Signings

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Shinnie, Graham, Holt and now Humphrey all look very poor. Apart from the keepers who haven't really been tested I really worry about his recruitment. The real worrying thing is he seems to be dropping our better players to give them again. Quite concerning.

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Shinnie, Graham, Holt and now Humphrey all look very poor. Apart from the keepers who haven't really been tested I really worry about his recruitment. The real worrying thing is he seems to be dropping our better players to give them again. Quite concerning.
Im more concerned that these are potentially good players/ signings but are just not producing for Hibs - maybe Holt excepted

green day
04-02-2017, 05:29 PM
What makes you think these are Lennon signings?

Is that not George Craig's job?

Northernhibee
04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Holt was my MOTM by a distance today.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 05:50 PM

Holt is obviously a class player who's got a great record over the years and did make a big difference when he came on. However, he's a centre forward playing in the Scottish Championship, his scoring record for us is really poor considering where he's played before. Overall Lennon's signing have been poor is my point and the lack of signings in January coupled with dropping good player to get the likes of Humphrey and Shinnie in is concerning me. We have to get promoted and his signings have added very little to the team, if anything.

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Because that's part of his responsibility not someone else under him

makaveli1875
04-02-2017, 05:57 PM
what about commons :p best player iv seen at hibs in a long time

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Because that's part of his responsibility not someone else under him

George Craig is head of recruitment. It is Rod who makes the final decision on matters believe me.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 05:59 PM
what about commons :p best player iv seen at hibs in a long time

Is that classed as a signing, 5 games for a player on 20K a week? Not a football fan in Scotland who couldn't have made that one.

Jones28
04-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Holt is obviously a class player who's got a great record over the years and did make a big difference when he came on. However, he's a centre forward playing in the Scottish Championship, his scoring record for us is really poor considering where he's played before. Overall Lennon's signing have been poor is my point and the lack of signings in January coupled with dropping good player to get the likes of Humphrey and Shinnie in is concerning me. We have to get promoted and his signings have added very little to the team, if anything.

He's not scoring because he's a battering ram that allows the likes of Cummings, Keatings and Boyle to get in on goal. His job is to open the door for them.

He was tremendous when he came on today and would've deservedly been MOTM.

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Holt hasn't been poor at all, played an important part in many victories this season.

Ozyhibby
04-02-2017, 06:06 PM
He's not scoring because he's a battering ram that allows the likes of Cummings, Keatings and Boyle to get in on goal. His job is to open the door for them.

He was tremendous when he came on today and would've deservedly been MOTM.

A number 9 with 3 goals at this stage of the season is a failure. If he is that value able a battering ram how come we are not scoring more as a team than we did last season without him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

col02

I was thinking this too. I'm sure if it was Petrie callings the shots and not Dempster he'd have the usual baying mob after an uneventful window. Instead Dempster gets off Scot free as usual.

Rougier45
Holt hasn't been poor at all, played an important part in many victories this season.

Thread is nonsense /

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Totally agree with this.

Jones28
04-02-2017, 06:08 PM
A number 9 with 3 goals at this stage of the season is a failure. If he is that value able a battering ram how come we are not scoring more as a team than we did last season without him?

So was it coincidental that he came on today and changed the game because he was doing the job he was asked to do?

He should have more goals, no arguing there but he was unlucky tonight with a header cleared off the line.

Andy74
04-02-2017, 06:08 PM

Holt and Cummings every week. Simple as that.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 06:14 PM

That is my point, he is a good quality player but Hibs aren't scoring enough and neither is he. He has a good pedigree and should be chipping in with many more. Out of all Lennon's signings Holt looks the best but an unfit Commons managed as many in 5 games than he's managed all season. I really don't want to slate Holt at all but Lennon's signings and the lack of them in January worries me.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2017, 06:15 PM
George Craig is head of recruitment. It is Rod who makes the final decision on matters believe me.

George Craig is not Head of Recruitment. He is Director of Football. Graeme Mathie is Head of Player Identification and Recruitment. He works in partnership with the Head Coach.

Ozyhibby
04-02-2017, 06:15 PM
So was it coincidental that he came on today and changed the game because he was doing the job he was asked to do?

He should have more goals, no arguing there but he was unlucky tonight with a header cleared off the line.

It is no coincidence at all. He is not so bad that he is worse than playing with no striker which is what we were with Keating there. Doesn't make him a good signing.

Hi Heid Yin
04-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Holt has been a solid and much needed signing in this very physical division, whilst Humphreys delivered an unbelievable performance in his first game v Dundee United, where his pace was frightening. These two I would keep, but Graham and Shinnie appear to be mere peripheral figures in too many games. They have had long enough to impress and to cement regular starts but I remain unconvinced and feel that we really have seen the best that they can offer.
For me, Lennon gets a 5/10 for the aforementioned signings.
This said, if we can get Kris Commons back on loan then that would be a major coup and would bolster the perceptions of Lennon in the signings department.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Thread is nonsense /

Why is it nonsense, because you don't agree? I think Lennon's signing have been poor. Holt is definitely out there as the best but that still doesn't make him a good signing. If you don't agree fair enough but to say it's nonsense, is nonsense.

Jones28
04-02-2017, 06:47 PM
It is no coincidence at all. He is not so bad that he is worse than playing with no striker which is what we were with Keating there. Doesn't make him a good signing.

So a player comes on, changes the game and is unfortunate not to score. The same player who works his socks off week in, week out for the team and is a platform for a lot of our forward play and is still a poor signing?

Hermit Crab
04-02-2017, 06:53 PM

Not motm overall but he must start next week.

AFKA5814_Hibs
04-02-2017, 06:58 PM
If there was any chance of getting Commons back, we should pull out all the stops. January transfer window was one of the worst in recent years. Humphrey and a 3rd choice goalkeeper.

cmcd
04-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Totally agree with this.

Me too .

tamig
04-02-2017, 06:59 PM

I think Craig's title is Head of Football Operations. Do you really think he identifies and signs players without any input from the Head Coach?

greenlex
04-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Can't possibly be Lennons fault.

cmcd
04-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Me too .

I am going to upset a few people on here .I'm sorry but if some people can't see what Holt brings to the table they should try watching another sport . He worked his socks off today as he does in every game roughing up defenders bringing others into play talking and encouraging Cummings .He was the player who made the difference in the second half . Getting on players back helps no one .Supporting the players when things are going badly does (My opinion)

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 07:27 PM
I am going to upset a few people on here .I'm sorry but if some people can't see what Holt brings to the table they should try watching another sport . He worked his socks off today as he does in every game roughing up defenders bringing others into play talking and encouraging Cummings .He was the player who made the difference in the second half . Getting on players back helps no one .Supporting the players when things are going badly does (My opinion)

Who's getting on his back? We all agree he was great when he came on and is no doubt a quality player. The whole point of the thread is the quality of Lennon's signings and not what Holt done in a 20 minute spell today.

I thought Neil Lennon would have done better in the transfer market than he has, in no way is that disrespectful to Holt who is a quality player and 'has been' for a number of years. He should be scoring more goals in this league despite his other attributes.

Carheenlea
04-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Holt and Cummings every week. Simple as that.

:agree: Our best forward pairing, and I suspect both will be running out at Tynecastle next week.

basehibby
04-02-2017, 07:56 PM

I don't think that's fair comment at all. It would be fair to say that all have blown hot and cold, but "very poor" is a gross exageration. Today for example, Shinnie and Humphrey were both poor first half (as were most of the team as it goes) and were subbed - with Graham and Holt both coming on and playing well. Humphrey and Shinnie have both also had good games and will do so again.

wookie70
04-02-2017, 09:18 PM
I think it would be fair to say he doesn't done as well as Stubbs in the transfer market. Not sure if that is all down to him or whether we don't have as much money. I would argue all Hibs best players this year were here when Lennon arrived. The GKs are an improvement though.

The three goalies are relatively untested but the main two look better than what we have had in the last few years.
Graham is similar to the GKs. He has played just under 500 mins of league football and scored 4 goals. That is a very good scoring record second only to JC but he has been involved so little it is hard to say if he is a good or bad signing.
Humphrey got off to a flyer but it was a night where everything he tried worked out. He doesn't look to have any great pace and was awful today. Again too early to say but I don't hold out any hope.
Shinnie has worked very hard but it would be hard to say he has been a success. I like him but not sure I would like to see him here after the loan period ends. 5 assists and a goal in the league is a similar return to Holt.
Commons. I thought he would be unfit and would take games. He was but scored two important goals and has to be seen as a success albeit a short lived one
Holt. Unbelievably frustrating player. 3 goals and 3 assists in the league. He has been terrible in front of goal missing lots of chances. I think he gets too involved with shoving players and arguing with the ref but there is no doubt we look better when he plays. Still wouldn't deem him to be a success with league goal roughly every 5 games and the same number of assists.
Jordan Forster re-signed and has hardly had a game so again can't say either way.

In short good signings, probably, for the GKs and a very good bit of business for Commons. The rest I would say could do better and overall I think Lennon hasn't quite got pass marks in terms of signings. Some of that may not be his fault though.

Ozyhibby
04-02-2017, 09:26 PM
I think it would be fair to say he doesn't done as well as Stubbs in the transfer market. Not sure if that is all down to him or whether we don't have as much money. I would argue all Hibs best players this year were here when Lennon arrived. The GKs are an improvement though.

The three goalies are relatively untested but the main two look better than what we have had in the last few years.
Graham is similar to the GKs. He has played just under 500 mins of league football and scored 4 goals. That is a very good scoring record second only to JC but he has been involved so little it is hard to say if he is a good or bad signing.
Humphrey got off to a flyer but it was a night where everything he tried worked out. He doesn't look to have any great pace and was awful today. Again too early to say but I don't hold out any hope.
Shinnie has worked very hard but it would be hard to say he has been a success. I like him but not sure I would like to see him here after the loan period ends. 5 assists and a goal in the league is a similar return to Holt.
Commons. I thought he would be unfit and would take games. He was but scored two important goals and has to be seen as a success albeit a short lived one
Holt. Unbelievably frustrating player. 3 goals and 3 assists in the league. He has been terrible in front of goal missing lots of chances. I think he gets too involved with shoving players and arguing with the ref but there is no doubt we look better when he plays. Still wouldn't deem him to be a success with league goal roughly every 5 games and the same number of assists.
Jordan Forster re-signed and has hardly had a game so again can't say either way.

In short good signings, probably, for the GKs and a very good bit of business for Commons. The rest I would say could do better and overall I think Lennon hasn't quite got pass marks in terms of signings. Some of that may not be his fault though.

The last bit is what we don't really know. Recruitment under Stubbs was mostly handled by George Craig and Greame Mathie, with Stubbs having final say. Not sure if it's the same with Lennon.
Whatever the truth, this seasons signings have been poor apart from the goalies.

cmcd
04-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Who's getting on his back? We all agree he was great when he came on and is no doubt a quality player. The whole point of the thread is the quality of Lennon's signings and not what Holt done in a 20 minute spell today.

I thought Neil Lennon would have done better in the transfer market than he has, in no way is that disrespectful to Holt who is a quality player and 'has been' for a number of years. He should be scoring more goals in this league despite his other attributes.

Plenty on here and elsewhere saying he is not good enough .In my opinion (I don't expect everyone to like it) he should be a starter most weeks

Paisley Hibby
04-02-2017, 10:20 PM

You think Shinnie is poor?? Seriously?? Oh dear...

Heisenberg
04-02-2017, 10:22 PM

What has he done this season? How many goals? About 5 assists in the league? Ineffective player who is way too weak.

HappyHanlon
04-02-2017, 10:38 PM
Laidlaw = 6
Marciano = 8
Shinnie = 2
Holt = 6
Humphrey = 6
Graham = 4
Eardley = 0
Commons = 9

Not so sure he can spot an outfield player at this level but he's pulled off a coup getting Marciano

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 10:40 PM
I know of one player in the SPL that Hibs offered a deal to.
The player wouldn't come because we are playing in the championship.

that is one I am absolutely sure about.
The point is, where we are just now has a bearing on the decisions made by potential targets.
we have attracted a good quality of player but I'd like to think we will be a more attractive proposition when we get promoted.

Must admit I find that strange. I'd have thought that if we were offering a player a deal it'd be on more than their current terms. And, given that this is football, the thing that would matter most would be money and not what division we were in. Especially given the fact we look in a good position to return to the top flight in a few months!

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 11:20 PM

He was fantastic against Bonnyrigg. Joking aside I think we all know Shinnie is a good skilful footballer, the problem most folk have is he prances about the park like a fairy!

truehibernian
04-02-2017, 11:25 PM
Signs Kris Commons on emergency loan. Commons scores winners in two crucial games over festive period of games. Six points rather than 2.

Signs Chris Humphrey and he has two assists on debut and scores on third appearance.

They're why we are 6 points clear really.

Last season we signed Chris Dagnell - not one goal scored.

JK Rolling
04-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Excellent post, bang on the cash.

truehibernian
04-02-2017, 11:43 PM
I'd want Holt to start in the Derby to be honest. Looking at Hearts today I'd like Marvin in the middle too. Their Greek midfielder looks handy however I noticed he didn't like a tackle and they are already trying to have him dictate - Marv to man mark him would be my decision.

Ronniekirk
04-02-2017, 11:55 PM

Agree a number 9 that hardly scores at this level isnt what we needed
Battering Ram is all good and well if its leading to us winning and scoring goals but he couldnt score against Bonnyrigg rose and now Ayr Surely he should be capable of scoring agsinst teams of that calibre

overdrive
05-02-2017, 12:30 AM
His scoring record is poor but our best form has come with Holt in the team. He starts every week for me.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Laidlaw = 6
Marciano = 8
Shinnie = 2
Holt = 6
Humphrey = 6
Graham = 4
Eardley = 0
Commons = 9

Not so sure he can spot an outfield player at this level but he's pulled off a coup getting MarcianoThat is absolutely laughable. It is you who can't spot a player mate, sorry.

The Leith Dutch
05-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Im more concerned that these are potentially good players/ signings but are just not producing for Hibs - maybe Holt excepted

This.

I'm sure people can and will name people they think we should have brought in but, assuming they're not naming ridiculous names, I don't think you can say they're "better" players.

We have a long and proud history of "making the least of players" at Hibs albeit with a few notable exceptions.

Pretty much since Dempster came in I feel the board have backed the manager.
At no point have I looked at the team and felt we were penny pinching and at no point would I have swapped all our squad + manager for that package in any other club in the division (or in fact anyone outside Celtic and possibly Aberdeen in Scotland).

That would suggest that our problem is not the players we sign but in getting them to produce the right standard of football.

My best guess is we need tempo and intensity - similar to the "Klopp style".
Not long balls but breaking with speed and purpose and closing down the other team with the kind of intensity that leaves them convinced they can't win the game. Essentially, playing in the way we clearly can when we're pressing forward in the last few minutes to get something out of a game.

Our habit of pretty, passing football leading to a few minutes fannying around outside the opposition box allowing them to get back and ensure any chances we create are poor is worryingly ingrained.

When we move the ball through midfield quickly with a single touch per player I think we look like the real deal but that seems to be rare for whatever reason.

skipster7
05-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Thought Humphrey was poor today but it looked to me like he was playing infield today to allow space for Gray to overlap. Bit pointless as you want to isolate him against the full backs surely.

matty_f
05-02-2017, 10:46 AM

Totally agree. Very much doubt we'd have got a goal yesterday without Holt, who was excellent when he came on.

To measure a player like Holt simply on his goals shows a real lack of football intelligence imho.

Smartie
05-02-2017, 10:47 AM
The goalkeepers have both been good signings.

The re-signings of Hanlon and Cummings were essential and they've both done very well.

Forster hasn't played much but I think we'll see more of him before the season is out.

Shinnie blows hot and cold, he frustrates the life out of me but he has had a few mom performances, has played some lovely balls in to create goals and has done ok overall.

We look far worse when Holt doesn't play. His goal return has been disappointing but the team plays well and often wins when he starts - good signing imo.

Graham is a bit of a huddy but has chipped in with goals at times - decent signing.

Humphrey made a big contribution in a critical game vs United. Was hopeless yesterday but hasn't really played much - a mixed bag so far, much still to play for but I wouldn't write him off yet.

Eardley - signed as back-up but didn't make an impact.

Stubbs' signings were excellent, he had as good a record in the transfer market as any Hibs manager in my time, especially given where we are. Lennon's signings haven't reached that level yet, but I wouldn't write them off yet, and they've been far from disastrous.

FC Leige
05-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Humphrey was good against Dundee Utd on his debut but yesterday he was easily sussed out and Ayr just doubled up on him rendering him ineffective.
Holt is an old head who does a lot of the unnoticed dirty work. We need him to start next week for his experience alone.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Guys please.

I have a busy afternoon ahead and don't want to spend it deleting posts from here. Agree to disagree and move on.

southsider
05-02-2017, 11:39 AM
:agree: Our best forward pairing, and I suspect both will be running out at Tynecastle next week.

NL on sky as pundit for St J v Celtic. Asked if interested in Damny Swanston. 'Always interested in midfielders that score 12 goals. Think he has connection to the club as well.' Ps Liam just scored for Celts.

JimBHibees
05-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I'd want Holt to start in the Derby to be honest. Looking at Hearts today I'd like Marvin in the middle too. Their Greek midfielder looks handy however I noticed he didn't like a tackle and they are already trying to have him dictate - Marv to man mark him would be my decision.

Agree about Holt think he should play. Not sure about Bartley man marking the Greek guy as he sits very deep however we definitely need to have a system where we are getting players in and about him.

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2017, 11:50 AM
I like Holt, clever player, and links up well.

Shinnie I thought would be brilliant for us, however, we have only really seen flashes so far.

Humphrey, played two, one good, one poor

Real Emerald
05-02-2017, 12:00 PM
I like Holt, clever player, and links up well.

Shinnie I thought would be brilliant for us, however, we have only really seen flashes so far.

Humphrey, played two, one good, one poor

Humphrey played 4

Dundee Utd - good
Dumbarton - poor
Bonnyrigg - poor
Ayr - really poor

Smartie
05-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Humphrey played 4

Dundee Utd - good
Dumbarton - poor
Bonnyrigg - poor
Ayr - really poor

I thought Humphrey did fine against Bonnyrigg although I admit that's not really the level we should be judging him on.

I didn't see him against Dumbarton or United, but I thought he was awful yesterday.

The more I think about it, the more I think there was a strange tactical plan yesterday that just didn't work.

Baldy Foghorn
05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Humphrey played 4

Dundee Utd - good
Dumbarton - poor
Bonnyrigg - poor
Ayr - really poor

Jeez, my memory is shocking

wookie70
05-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Totally agree. Very much doubt we'd have got a goal yesterday without Holt, who was excellent when he came on.

That's a bit of a stretch he had nothing to do with the goal and was ducked down behind Jason as he scored. Saying that he made a very positive contribution yesterday. We get slightly more points when Holt starts. Not much in it in terms of stats but we look like we know what we are doing when Holt starts. I would put him upfront with Jason next week and tell him to run himself and their backline into the ground for an hour. Bump, barge and moan his way through the first hour to soften them up.

matty_f
05-02-2017, 12:52 PM
That's a bit of a stretch he had nothing to do with the goal and was ducked down behind Jason as he scored. Saying that he made a very positive contribution yesterday. We get slightly more points when Holt starts. Not much in it in terms of stats but we look like we know what we are doing when Holt starts. I would put him upfront with Jason next week and tell him to run himself and their backline into the ground for an hour. Bump, barge and moan his way through the first hour to soften them up.

Not that much of a stretch, he was being a nuisance to the defenders and helped Cummings get the header as a result.

Ozyhibby
05-02-2017, 01:32 PM

What is our points per game when Holt plays compared to when he doesn't? Is it much higher? Anyone know?

southsider
05-02-2017, 01:33 PM
Update : Rodgers would not let Liam go out on loan at the last window.

wookie70
05-02-2017, 01:43 PM
What is our points per game when Holt plays compared to when he doesn't? Is it much higher? Anyone know?

It is something like 2.1 points when he starts and exactly 2 when he doesn't. We are 2 points per game when Graham starts too. Pretty much the same with Jason. We get very slightly more points when he starts than when he doesn't but it is close. To me the stats don't tell you too much as there were quite a few games in the "refs making the league more interesting phase" we lost points when we went down to 10 men.