PDA

View Full Version : Chris Humphrey

Northernhibee
04-02-2017, 04:11 PM
I mind him saying in an interview that he felt his short term deal was'right' and the end of the season was the time to evaluate his next step.

Better start putting in an effort then, looked disinterested today. Passed it sideways or back, not interested in hitting the by-line, a really arrogant performance.

tamig
04-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I mind him saying in an interview that he felt his short term deal was'right' and the end of the season was the time to evaluate his next step.

Better start putting in an effort then, looked disinterested today. Passed it sideways or back, not interested in hitting the by-line, a really arrogant performance.

I thought he looked very low on confidence and was no attacking threat on the right whatsoever. Assume he was subbed for tactical reasons and not injured?

SChibs
04-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Humphrey is good when there is space behind the defender like against Dundee Utd. It's hard to go past a player when there is a player right behind them. He's more effective against teams that will attack us

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 04:15 PM

To be subbed at half time says it all. hasn't played since his debut. Cliff suspected he wasn't fit he was so poor - so why was he even playing if not fit?

bigwheel
04-02-2017, 04:16 PM
To be subbed at half time says it all. hasn't played since his debut. Cliff suspected he wasn't fit he was so poor - so why was he even playing if not fit?

Humphrey had a good debut. Since then the other two games he has started He has been pretty poor..I hope he was injured today, because that would be explain why he was murder

Itsnoteasy
04-02-2017, 04:17 PM
Hopeless against The Rose as well. Could turn out to be a player that you would love in the team but when it actually happens there crap. Liam Craig springs to mind.

Big_Franck
04-02-2017, 04:20 PM
I think he's best when his team are counter attacking. He's not going to be anywhere near as effective playing against teams that sit with 10 men behind the ball. The game at the PBS might actually suit him more, fingers crossed anyway.

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Hopeless against The Rose as well. Could turn out to be a player that you would love in the team but when it actually happens there crap. Liam Craig springs to mind.
David Gray played better than Humphrey as a threat second half yet he was playing full back

cabbage_88
04-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Looked lost, refused to try and take on a man. Was the same against Dumbarton but worse today. Thought pace would have been his main asset...obviously not!

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Dont worry, I read on Hibs.net that all you need is pace and width. What you actually need is good, consistent players.

Waxy
04-02-2017, 04:25 PM
What we need is narrowness and patience

Dunbar Hibee
04-02-2017, 04:32 PM
He was class on his debut. I wasn't there today so can't comment but worrying to hear.

CMurdoch
04-02-2017, 04:37 PM
His first 30 mins against Dundee Utd were immense but since then zero.
As others on here have said he didn't want to take the responsibility today of taking on the defender, looking simply to pass square or back. A waste of a place today so rightly replaced at H/T.
The question is it lack of confidence or lack of the ability or speed to go past the defender.

P.S. His replacement Holt was as good today as he was poor in Dunfries

RoscoHibby
04-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Hope he was injured, because for a fast winger he looked like he was running in quick sand.

The one time he did try to take it on. He got outpaced. By Paul Cairney...

cabbageandribs1875
04-02-2017, 04:41 PM
His first 30 mins against Dundee Utd were immense but since then zero.
As others on here have said he didn't want to take the responsibility today of taking on the defender, looking simply to pass square or back. A waste of a place today so rightly replaced at H/T.
The question is it lack of confidence or lack of the ability or speed to go past the defender.

P.S. His replacement Holt was as good today as he was poor in Dunfries

i'm going to stick up for him here, it was the first 60 mins in that game he was very decent...then p@shness from then till now

:(

atticmonkey
04-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Complete waste of a strip in my opinion
Having said that we played 2 wingers with no
Target man ?

GreenCastle
04-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Dont worry, I read on Hibs.net that all you need is pace and width. What you actually need is good, consistent players.

Pace - he has - but doesn't use it.

Width he found but often never dribbled at a player.

Boyle at least went at players and asked questions. I'm slightly concerned about Humphrey as having watched him every game since his debut I expected more. Great debut but need more. Typical wide player though - inconsistent.

California-Hibs
04-02-2017, 04:59 PM
He was unbelievably poor. Showed zero pace, looked lost and frightened.

PeterboroHibee
04-02-2017, 04:59 PM
I think its always a tricky one playing guys like Humphrey and Boyle in games where teams will sit in. Their games are based almost solely on pace, and if we cant score to force the other team to come out, they dont really get the space to be effective. Todays game was probably made worse by the decision to pick Keatings up front on his own - no space to run into, and no target up front.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Hid, shocking performance and should be ashamed.

CMurdoch
04-02-2017, 05:07 PM
I think its always a tricky one playing guys like Humphrey and Boyle in games where teams will sit in. Their games are based almost solely on pace, and if we cant score to force the other team to come out, they dont really get the space to be effective. Todays game was probably made worse by the decision to pick Keatings up front on his own - no space to run into, and no target up front.

Agree with all of that :aok:

Smartie
04-02-2017, 05:08 PM
That was a disgraceful performance.

Sorry, but it was.

What is it with wingers that don't even want to take a man on? Alex harris used to drive me mad with his unwillingness to even attempt to take his man on, but Humphrey's unwillingness to even think about going forwards when we were 1-0 down at home to Ayr was ridiculous.

That time when he brought the ball down just inside their half with nobody near him and acres of space to run forward into yet he half-arsed looked around for a safe ball backwards that wasn't on - he didn't look like he knew what he was meant to do.

For someone supposed to be a professional footballer and a winger his performance was half-hearted, disinterested and ridiculous.

He was lucky to last to half time and need a firm kick up the arse if he's going to get a contract anywhere at the end of this season on that showing.

I wonder what Paul Cairney would give to have the physique and natural fitness of a Chris Humphrey or an Alex Harris?

Green Fish
04-02-2017, 05:15 PM
He was a disgrace. At first I gave him benefit of the doubt so kept an eye on him.
He was hiding. Standing behind the defenders so that in most cases the ball wouldnt come to him and when it did he did f all.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Onion
04-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Got to hope there was good reason for his performance today. To be outpaced in a straight footrace by Paul Cairney is a tad worrying.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 05:17 PM
He was a disgrace. At first I gave him benefit of the doubt so kept an eye on him.
He was hiding. Standing behind the defenders so that in most cases the ball wouldnt come to him and when it did he did f all.

Exactly what I said, he was looking for players to hide behind, disgrace.

tamig
04-02-2017, 05:21 PM

Humphrey had plenty opportunities to hit the ball into space and get to the bye line today. He didn't even attempt it once. Holt made a huge difference when he came on as - like you suggest - Keatings cannot hold the ball up.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 05:24 PM
May as well have had a man down. Utterly useless he really was. Next week we have have chances to work the channels but I'm now thinking is he worth a starting place??

Hiber-nation
04-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Exactly. He should be ashamed to pick up a wage after that. One of the most gutless performances I've ever seen. Allan O'Brien mark 2.

PPZPOL
04-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Really did go out his way to hide behind men to make himself unavailable for a pass. Terrible performance, he either injured or worse than that he was not interested...or both!

Moody Blues
04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Really did go out his way to hide behind men to make himself unavailable for a pass. Terrible performance, he either injured or worse than that he was not interested...or both!
We seem to have 2or3 players who fall into this category

500miles
04-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Humphrey came up against two defenders every time he got the ball. He should've been pulled in more central to support Keatings, but that didn't appear to be the plan. In fact, I have no idea what the original plan was, and I don't think he players were sure either. If he plays against Hearts, he'll get more space against the boy from Hamilton.

Shrekko
04-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Pace - he has - but doesn't use it.

Width he found but often never dribbled at a player.

Boyle at least went at players and asked questions. I'm slightly concerned about Humphrey as having watched him every game since his debut I expected more. Great debut but need more. Typical wide player though - inconsistent.

He doesn't have pace. Was proved when he lost a foot race with Paul Cairney.

Sadly he looks like there's nothing else to compensate for it.

Thecat23
Humphrey came up against two defenders every time he got the ball. He should've been pulled in more central to support Keatings, but that didn't appear to be the plan. In fact, I have no idea what the original plan was, and I don't think he players were sure either. If he plays against Hearts, he'll get more space against the boy from Hamilton.

He never looked for the ball. He actually never moved into space either! Not going to lie it was a brutal performance and glad he got hooked.

Thecat23
He doesn't have pace. Was proved when he lost a foot race with Paul Cairney.

Sadly he looks like there's nothing else to compensate for it.

He showed on his debut he has pace. He just hid today simple as that.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Piss Humpty based on todays showing.

PPZPOL
04-02-2017, 05:54 PM

Maybe that will suit him better as he did well against DUtd but against teams that sit in he's been poor (including a Junior team!) and not looked up for it. I've got a nasty shock for him though - we will be up against that more often than not so he better start getting up for the "lesser" teams as well. Start driving at full backs and start making things happen as that's why he's been brought in after all. We already have Alex Harris who is scared to take on a man and therefore cuts back and passes inside or to full back so we don't need another one.

Northernhibee
04-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Piss Humpty based on todays showing.

Just let off a proper chortle on the train at that.

Smartie
04-02-2017, 05:57 PM

He should have pulled as wide as he possibly could then - if there were 2 players on him and they followed him, there would be space elsewhere.

He clogged up space and it looked like he was looking for positions where it was impossible for us to get the ball to him.

Jones28
04-02-2017, 05:58 PM
He looked lost at best. Didn't even attempt to take on his man and create anything.

coldingham hibs
04-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Shocking performances from a number of players today against dreadful opposition, not great considering this is when we need to step up to the mark.

Andy74
04-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Looked a bit lost but to be honest I'm not sure many in the team first half knew where they were meant to be or how to play.

Was Humphrey meant to get to the bye line and cross for Keatings to attack?

tanfield
04-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Apart from a decent 20 mins or so on his debut what has he contributed?

Tyler Durden
04-02-2017, 06:21 PM
He should have pulled as wide as he possibly could then - if there were 2 players on him and they followed him, there would be space elsewhere.

He clogged up space and it looked like he was looking for positions where it was impossible for us to get the ball to him.

His positioning at times was so bizarre that I can only think he was following tactical instructions. Terrible instructions for sure but seemed like he was going narrow to leave space for Gray.

I agree he was awful but some people saying he was deliberately hiding is nonsense. The guy is a good pro, he had a poor game.

Tyler Durden
04-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Apart from a decent 20 mins or so on his debut what has he contributed?

Played his part in the goal at Dumbarton and scored against Bonnyrigg.

Hasn't really played otherwise so apart from today he's been fine IMO

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 06:25 PM

He was brutal in the Bonnyrigg game even though he scored which showed how bad they were.

Andy74
04-02-2017, 06:28 PM
His positioning at times was so bizarre that I can only think he was following tactical instructions. Terrible instructions for sure but seemed like he was going narrow to leave space for Gray.

I agree he was awful but some people saying he was deliberately hiding is nonsense. The guy is a good pro, he had a poor game.

After a while I think he got asked to play infield a bit. First half we set up
In 2 or 3 ways and I don't think it helped any of them.

snooky
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM

I disagree. I think he's been a total disappointment so far and today's performance was probably his worst yet.
He looked disinterested (well, to me he did).

Tyler Durden
04-02-2017, 06:40 PM
I disagree. I think he's been a total disappointment so far and today's performance was probably his worst yet.
He looked disinterested (well, to me he did).

As my mate said today "He looks like he was out on the piss last night"!

Definitely his worst game today. I don't agree that he was brutal against Bonnyrigg though.

Anymore performances like today and I'll be writing the guy off, for now I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt

jacomo
04-02-2017, 06:43 PM

And here's another sarcastic, passive aggressive post.

Sign off for the night and stop posting embarrassing stuff like this.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 06:44 PM

He was hiding, he was placing himself behind his markers rather than looking for space to make himself available for a pass. I'm sure most people who have ever played football would have noticed this.

kaimendhibs
04-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Thought he was abysmal today and said so. He was hiding in centre circle a lot and just doing short passes. Didnt attempt to take a man on at all. Very disapointing. Although i did comment that in the first 25 mins it looked like half the team had been on the piss. No energy and kept giving the ball away

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2017, 06:50 PM
And here's another sarcastic, passive aggressive post.

Sign off for the night and stop posting embarrassing stuff like this.What is embarrassing about that? Pace does nothing against 10 defenders, I've been saying that for 3 years now and folk keep insisting we need PACE and WIDTH.

Pace is great when teams come at us and leave space, the problem is no one comes at us in this league...

Eyrie
04-02-2017, 06:53 PM
What is embarrassing about that? Pace does nothing against 10 defenders, I've been saying that for 3 years now and folk keep insisting we need PACE and WIDTH.

Pace is great when teams come at us and leave space, the problem is no one comes at us in this league...

The "pace" that is demanded isn't players running quickly but players moving the ball faster to create and exploit gaps. A couple of us have started using the word "tempo" to make this clearer.

emerald green
04-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Looked a bit lost but to be honest I'm not sure many in the team first half knew where they were meant to be or how to play.

Was Humphrey meant to get to the bye line and cross for Keatings to attack?

:agree: Hibs were a shambles in the first half. All over the shop.

greenlex
04-02-2017, 06:59 PM
He's just a quicker version of Filipe Morais.

keep the faith
04-02-2017, 07:05 PM
He was shocking today and seemed to have no pace. I wonder if he was injured. Was cut down by a terrible tackle in the Bonnyrigg game.
If he was injured and playing today it's a worry.
If he wasn't injured then today's performance was a bigger worry!

One Day Soon
04-02-2017, 07:05 PM

Is it too much to ask for all of the above? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2017, 07:22 PM
After a while I think he got asked to play infield a bit. First half we set up
In 2 or 3 ways and I don't think it helped any of them.

That's what we said, more often than not he seemed to have Gray outside him, we couldn't understand why he was on the park if he was going to play inside. And the odd occasion he was wide they rarely got the ball out to him. Saying all that, there were a few times when he did get it one on one with the full back but never once took him on, he really struggled today.

HappyAsHellas
04-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Absolute waste of a jersey - sooner we get rid the better.

Any player can have an off day - he didn't want to be there today - disgraceful, and anyone thinking he did well against Rose obviously saw something different to me.

Hi Heid Yin
04-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Unless he is thick skinned I hope for Humphreys sake that he is not tempted to come onto Hibs.Net and read this particular thread.
Truly head-shaking stuff from one or two posters.

SMAXXA
04-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Unless he is thick skinned I hope for Humphreys sake that he is not tempted to come onto Hibs.Net and read this particular thread.

He could have been subbed like the rest of the 10 outfield players anyone singling him out needs to have a word🙈 How fickle are people we were pish day everyone supper John etc bad day at the office yes let's be reasonable

The_Horde
04-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Brutal today. Seemed to be playing hide and seek with Shinnie and never looked arsed. Strutting around with his chest puffed out, not trying his arse.

Gray showed him second half how to utilise the space on the right. Back to the narrow 3-5-2 for the derby with Holt, Cummings, Mcgeouch and Bartley coming in.

Northernhibee
04-02-2017, 07:49 PM

There's a difference between having a poor game (Fyvie) and not trying. He didn't take men on, didn't find space, didn't create, he should apologize to the rest of the team who had to work harder to cover.

That from him today was unforgivable.

Shrekko
04-02-2017, 07:50 PM
He showed on his debut he has pace. He just hid today simple as that.

Because he got behind a slow full back once with a lot of space to run into?

It was obvious even that night how much quicker Boyle was. Since then Humphrey hasn't been close to outpacing anyone.

Did you not see Cairney outpacing him for a ball with no start?

Not saying he's super slow but he's not fast anymore.

mentalhibee
04-02-2017, 07:50 PM
This thread is brutal, fair enough he was poor today but hopefully he has a stormer next week!

SMAXXA
04-02-2017, 07:52 PM
There's a difference between having a poor game (Fyvie) and not trying. He didn't take men on, didn't find space, didn't create, he should apologize to the rest of the team who had to work harder to cover.

Yes like it's easy for a wide player to constantly look for a standing start at a ball when you have a midfield that don't know what they want to do with the ball. It was a pish game we were crap so what it happens

emerald green
04-02-2017, 07:54 PM

I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of Humphrey's performance, although it has to be said the whole team looked totally disjointed in the first half.

The question must be why was he so poor? Was there a valid reason, or is he simply useless?

If he wasn't trying that's an entirely different matter.

Smartie
04-02-2017, 07:55 PM
Yes like it's easy for a wide player to constantly look for a standing start at a ball when you have a midfield that don't know what they want to do with the ball. It was a pish game we were crap so what it happens

Boyle didn't exactly get magnificent service from the same midfield but when he got the ball at least he looked like he knew what a left winger is meant to do - run at the full back.

Humphrey looked lost.

Northernhibee
04-02-2017, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of Humphrey's performance, although it has to be said the whole team looked totally disjointed in the first half.

The question must be why was he so poor? Was there a valid reason, or is he simply useless?

If he wasn't trying that's an entirely different matter.
He's shown on his debut that he has ability. It's a shame we've not seen the same from him at all since - even against Bonnyrigg

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 08:04 PM
He could have been subbed like the rest of the 10 outfield players anyone singling him out needs to have a word🙈 How fickle are people we were pish day everyone supper John etc bad day at the office yes let's be reasonable

Disagree, and I don't like singling players out ever. McGinn was rusty for the first part of the game but was completely played out of a position where he could influence the game to his max. Players may or may not adapt to bad tactics but Chris Humphrey chucked the towel in from the start. I've no idea what Cummings or McGeogh must have thought while sitting on the bench watching his gutless attitude. He may get a bullet and start playing (I hope he does) but for me that was nothing to do with talent today, it was totally down to attitude.

Hiber-nation
04-02-2017, 08:07 PM

Nah. His attitude stank. Only seen it from a select few in the past - Allan O'Brien, Brian Kerr, Liam Craig (although I'll let him off as he redeemed himself after we went down). Sorry.

Lang Toun Hibs
04-02-2017, 08:49 PM
He was class on his debut. I wasn't there today so can't comment but worrying to hear.

He was as good as not being there today...why was he so central? Was that a role he'd been asked to play...was only wide a few times and then reluctant to take any responsibility.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
He isn't actually quick anymore is he? Unless he's just had he misfortune to be up against rapid players? But then again, Paul Cairney.

Shame really. I enjoyed his debut against Utd and was hoping he'd kick on from that and give us the width and service we need. Still time obviously but hasn't impressed since the debut.

Ryan69
04-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Everyone is allowed a bad day at the office!

I do believe we will enforce the same kind of style as when we played Dundee United.

That will suit him well.

There goalie is rubbish when your throwing the ball in there!

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-02-2017, 08:59 PM
He set his own standards with his showing against Dundee United but he will know that he was well below that today. A team can cope with one or two boys having off days but for some reason we decide to do it en masse.

SMAXXA
04-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Disagree, and I don't like singling players out ever. McGinn was rusty for the first part of the game but was completely played out of a position where he could influence the game to his max. Players may or may not adapt to bad tactics but Chris Humphrey chucked the towel in from the start. I've no idea what Cummings or McGeogh must have thought while sitting on the bench watching his gutless attitude. He may get a bullet and start playing (I hope he does) but for me that was nothing to do with talent today, it was totally down to attitude.

A player of johns ability you are really trying to say he was played out of position and couldn't turn in a better performance? He was rusty last week was excusable but not today. I could slate Fraser Graeme John etc makes no odds my point was Chris was poor but no bad enough to be singled out the rest were poor also. We always look for a skapegoat from where I was sitting I lay the blame at the manger for the selection and the players for the performance

kaimendhibs
04-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Everyone is allowed a bad day at the office!

I do believe we will enforce the same kind of style as when we played Dundee United.

That will suit him well.

There goalie is rubbish when your throwing the ball in there!
Hes had a couple now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

marinello59
04-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Spot on. Ayr had obviously done their homework on him and totally neutralised him. Lennon had no answer.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 09:07 PM
A player of johns ability you are really trying to say he was played out of position and couldn't turn in a better performance? He was rusty last week was excusable but not today. I could slate Fraser Graeme John etc makes no odds my point was Chris was poor but no bad enough to be singled out the rest were poor also. We always look for a skapegoat from where I was sitting I lay the blame at the manger for the selection and the players for the performance

Strange first name usage when players are commonly known by surnames.

I just think fans maybe expect more from a player with such experience against a part time team? He looked, at times today, to be hiding. Agree about McGinn not being at his best first half especially.

SlickShoes
04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
I don't know if I agree with chastising the guy because he wasn't the worst part of the first half and the service out on his side was so slow that whenever he did get the ball there were 2 or 3 guys around him.

The service in the first half out to the wide players was fairly dire, it was laboured and slow, Shinnie was the only one taking some risks but he happened to lose the ball quite a bit when he did.

Humphrey ran into a space a few times but our midfielders were still rolling it about like barry ferguson and back to the centre halfs.

Didn't make much sense to remove him and put on a target man. Gray done well in the second half getting down the wing but nearly all of his crosses were hitting the first man.

Our normally good centre midield had probably its worst game ive seen this season, so its no wonder everything else suffered, the main bad point from today was the goal we lost and how everyone was sleeping for it.

familyman
04-02-2017, 09:38 PM
We seem to have 2or3 players who fall into this category
For a player to be so impressive in previous home game and very bad today...I can only assume something off the park is not right,that being the case though he should not have been selected...a mystery to me as he clearly was well out of sorts today and gave very little indeed.He seemed to have little idea what was expected of him against Ayr..