PDA

View Full Version : Neil lennon

Springbank
04-02-2017, 03:03 PM
He's been given a squad with the best finisher in the league (cummings) best midfielder in the league (McGeouch ) and best destroyer in the league (bartley)

All on the bench while the first Xi look like they only met before kick off

So 2 questions

1) what do they work on at East mains
And
2) why is our bench stronger than the Hibs team?

GreenArmy1875
04-02-2017, 03:04 PM
Surely a wind up...😂

HoboHarry
04-02-2017, 03:05 PM
He's been given a squad with the best finisher in the league (cummings) best midfielder in the league (McGeouch ) and best destroyer in the league (bartley)

So 2 questions

And
How badly will your day be ruined if Hibs win today?

GreenLake
04-02-2017, 04:04 PM
He is prioritizing our Scottish Cup defense. The league is skooshed.

SirDavidsNapper
04-02-2017, 04:06 PM
He made a mistake today. We are all human I guess. Put it right and beat Hearts

QMU-1875
04-02-2017, 04:06 PM

So 2 questions

And

Agree to be honest. Starting 11 cost us the game.

cleanyman
04-02-2017, 04:12 PM
We flatter to deceive.

Hibs have been minging to watch for the majority of the season

SChibs
04-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Mcginn is the best midfielder in the league in my opinion. And we shouldn't need an enforcer at home Vs ayr. They got a bit lucky with their goal but didn't offer too much going forward after that.

Ozyhibby
04-02-2017, 04:24 PM
If Cummings gets injured then the rest of the season will look like the first 60 mins today. Brutal.
Decision to not bring in a striker in Jan was a shocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastcoasthibby
04-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Agree to be honest. Starting 11 cost us the game.

The way the starting 11 went about the game from the start cost us the game ...far too slow, too defensive, no pace in passing wide men didn't. Want the ball ...AYR pressed us high a d didn't gi e fyvie or McGinn get on the ball and the rest, would co.e of markers to get it ...poor poor first half ! The players that started should ha e been good enough to give us a good start but didn't !!

The Green Goblin
04-02-2017, 04:38 PM
How badly will your day be ruined if Hibs win today?

Not that I should need to, but for what it's worth, I can vouch for this poster 100% and you are way, way off with your comment. Why not put an argument forward which explains why you disagree?

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 04:39 PM

So 2 questions

And

Read the other thread in teams ruining the Scottish game.

Heisenberg
04-02-2017, 04:43 PM

Teams have the right to play whatever way they want. We should have more than enough to deal with teams like we faced today. We've been failing for three years to do so. Pish.

Itsnoteasy
04-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Maybe they are just playing to their strengths.

Smartie
04-02-2017, 04:47 PM
I liked the look of the starting 11 before the game, I liked what I thought was his thinking and thought it would work.

Its as inept a performance in the first 45 as I can remember seeing from a Hibs side. Goalkeeper wasn't great at the goal although he had little else to do, defence were all over the shop at times, the midfield looked all wrong and created nothing, the wide players were ineffectual (although at least Boyle looked interested) and Ketings was anonymous other than some dreadful set pieces.

It didn't work, it should not be tried again.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2017, 04:52 PM
He got it woefully wrong today - he'll be judged at season end, I hope it's a favorable judgement- as of now the jury is still out.

Heisenberg
04-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Signings have been very poor. We'll struggle with Shinnie playing every week while the likes of Holt and Graham have offered nothing of note.

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:02 PM
He got it woefully wrong today - he'll be judged at season end, I hope it's a favorable judgement- as of now the jury is still out.

The jury is out 😂😂😂
Great manager. Every time we have a hic up the scaredy brigade pop up.

Onion
04-02-2017, 05:05 PM

:agree: Quite simply, Lennon cost us 2 points today. Baffling and terrible starting line up.

He should have changed it after 20 mins, bringing on Holt and Cummings, but persisted with an awful set up against a hard working but poor Ayr side.

PeterboroHibee
04-02-2017, 05:10 PM
The jury is out 😂😂😂

Based on what exactly? Whether he was Hibs manager or not, I think the jury would still be out on him. His first two managerial positions were quite unique positions (Celtic with resources far beyond the rest of the league, Bolton in turmoil), and thus quite hard to judge him.

Based on his time so far at Hibs, Id say its fairly mixed. He has us top, which is the ultimate goal of the club. However, I think his signings have largely been quite ineffective, its February and I still dont think he knows quite what his starting 11 would be, and some of the performances and results have been brutal.

Its still too early to be too critical/reactionary, but that doesnt mean fans cant have an opinion.

Betty Boop
04-02-2017, 05:14 PM
The jury is out 😂😂😂
It's fine you always pop up to defend him.

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 05:15 PM
Based on what exactly? Whether he was Hibs manager or not, I think the jury would still be out on him. His first two managerial positions were quite unique positions (Celtic with resources far beyond the rest of the league, Bolton in turmoil), and thus quite hard to judge him.

Based on his time so far at Hibs, Id say its fairly mixed. He has us top, which is the ultimate goal of the club. However, I think his signings have largely been quite ineffective, its February and I still dont think he knows quite what his starting 11 would be, and some of the performances and results have been brutal.

Its still too early to be too critical/reactionary, but that doesnt mean fans cant have an opinion.
CH is a Lennon fan rather than a Hibs fan. He only posts on catholic and Lennon matters

BS44
04-02-2017, 05:15 PM
We flatter to deceive.

Hibs have been minging to watch for the majority of the season

Yip, only been a couple of good performances so far this season the other games we have been mediocre.

Still Smiling
04-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Thought Humphrey was posted missing. Two wingers start and no height in the middle. Cummings and Holt made us more balanced. And...man of the match Fyfie!! Think the sponsors must have picked a name from the hat!

RIP
04-02-2017, 05:20 PM
HoustonHibee - you know him well no doubt? I do, he's a mate and you are talking utter pish.

I'm hacked off about the result today as much as anyone, but a cheap pop at a fellow Hibee isn't a road you want to go down, is it?

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2017, 05:21 PM
The jury is out 😂😂😂

Go on abusing people- it's good for people who are new to the forum to know what you are about.

madhatter
04-02-2017, 05:22 PM
People don't rate Holt but I thought he had the bigger impact of all the subs, granted Cummings scored but how many times did Holt win the ball back and then play super balls in behind? I counted 3 times.

RIP
04-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Go on abusing people- it's good for people who are new to the forum to know what you are about.

I've seen hundreds of posts about bedwetters these past ten years. Did they incur your ire?

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2017, 05:24 PM
People don't rate Holt but I thought he had the bigger impact of all the subs, granted Cummings scored but how many times did Holt win the ball back and then play super balls in behind? I counted 3 times.

I'm not a big fan of Holt - however you are correct, he made a positive impact today.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Have to agreee, Holt made a big difference. Great quick throw towards be end that Graham ****ed up on. Lennon can keep trying to tinker with the forward line but it always seems to revert back to Holt and Cummings. Here's an idea then. Why not just stick with that!

Steve20
04-02-2017, 05:27 PM
Lennon is awful. Anyone that thinks he can get us a win at Tynecastle is living in a fantasy world.

Awful manager

lugz
04-02-2017, 05:28 PM
So annoyed with Lennon today, at home to Ayr we should be playing 4-4-2 with 2 wingers and Holt and Cummings up top. Today looked like he was trying to fit people into the team by playing Fyvie, SJM & Shinnie. 2 silly points dropped and giving United encouragement for their late k.o

madhatter
04-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Teams have the right to play whatever way they want. We should have more than enough to deal with teams like we faced today. We've been failing for three years to do so. Pish.

Do they have the right or duty to entertain the fans at the ground? Think they do, players playing out for scrappy wins with 0 football leads to what in crappy Scottish weather? Less fans at the stadium and more watching on tv or not at all. This get 1 or 3 points at all costs regardless on how you play is what gets drilled into our youngsters and that's exactly why as a nation we are in the gutter. Scotland look for a cart horse up front and journeymans in midfield, wait until youngsters are 27 before giving them games and until they are well drilled into the win at all costs dire "football"

tamig
04-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Have to agreee, Holt made a big difference. Great quick throw towards be end that Graham ****ed up on. Lennon can keep trying to tinker with the forward line but it always seems to revert back to Holt and Cummings. Here's an idea then. Why not just stick with that!

Grant Holt was excellent when he came on today. Glad to see him get some decent recognition on a few threads for a change.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
We were crap today. Another great chance to push on in the league and go 11 clear, albeit temporarily, and we put in a sub-standard display.

Failing to beat Ayr Utd in two out of three games is totally unacceptable.

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:31 PM
It's fine you always pop up to defend him.

I have balls of steel and bottle. Too many negative posts.

Ozyhibby
04-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Holt did make a difference today because he is better than no striker at all which is what we had with Keatings.
Without Cummings we are toothless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Lennon is awful. Anyone that thinks he can get us a win at Tynecastle is living in a fantasy world.

Awful manager

😂😂😂😂😂 Jambo alert

BSEJVT
04-02-2017, 05:33 PM
I thought todays team selection and the thinking behind it was absolutely woeful.

Ayr were always going to sit very deep with 10 men behind the ball

Therefore there was never going to be any space for wingers to run into behind

We needed what we ended up with, someone up front to bully their defenders and create space and win knockdowns etc.

Not one of the three forwards we started with today can play with their backs to goals.

I lost count of the number of times the midfield threaded balls into them and the defenders brushed them aside.

If this had been last season I might have had some sympathy with Lennon's rotation policy as the players were dead on their feet at points but its not

He persists in dropping our only real scorer and we are found wanting big time when Jason is not there to bail us out

BTW after his debut Humphrey has been absolutely awful almost like playing with a man short.

Don't get me started on bloody Shinnie, if Dylan cant offer more to the team than that gutless imposter he would be as well hanging up his boots.

makaveli1875
all of the above will be redundant when we skelp the jambos at ***********

Callyballybe
Just in the door from the game myself, and although I'm as disappointed as the next with the result, I don't think the blame can be laid completely at Lennon's door.

Yes, probably got the team wrong today. But even taking that into consideration, the players on the field today should've been enough to win - which they basically showed after 15/20 mins of being absolutely garbage.

Their goal was something straight out of Sunday league. Laidlaw should've done better, but it should never have got that far in the first place. Defending was abysmal.

Once we settled down, I don't think Laidlaw had anything to do for the entire game after that, and their keeper kept them in it with 3 or 4 great saves.

Lennon got the team wrong, but if their ridiculous goal doesn't happen, we would have went on to win that - with out without Cummings starting. (fwiw, I'm a big Cummings fan and think he should've been in the starting 11.)

I also thought Holt showed why he is actually alot better than folk give him credit for on here sometimes - will be a big player for us next week.

My biggest concern (apart from the result) was Fontaine. Thought he looked shaky on the ball at times and low on confidence - which isn't great considering the match we have next week and the injuries we have at the back (Hanlon) at the minute.

Utd humping Raith currently. Not a good day at the office for us, but we'll still be 6 ahead after tonight. Put it behind us and move on. We were never going to win every game on the way to the championship (even if it is at home to Ayr!)

P.S. Yes Shinnie was pretty awful today, I'm guessing the only reason we didn't see McGeouch was that with him getting injured every second game or so, he was being saved for next week.

tamig
04-02-2017, 05:35 PM

Awful manager

You can always be relied upon to come up with your favourite strap line whenever we fail to get full points.

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-02-2017, 05:36 PM
I can't believe Lennon dropped Cummings, the only decent striker we have!

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 05:38 PM
I thought todays team selection and the thinking behind it was absolutely woeful.

We needed what we ended up with, someone up front to bully their defenders and create space and win knockdowns etc.

Not one of the three forwards we started with today can play with their backs to goals.

I lost count of the number of times the midfield threaded balls into them and the defenders brushed them aside.

If this had been last season I might have had some sympathy with Lennon's rotation policy as the players were dead on their feet at points but its not

He persists in dropping our only real scorer and we are found wanting big time when Jason is not there to bail us out

BTW after his debut Humphrey has been absolutely awful almost like playing with a man short.

Don't get me started on bloody Shinnie, if Dylan cant offer more to the team than that gutless imposter he would be as well hanging up his boots.

Either the players didn't carry out the duties they were given or the manager didn't make it clear what their duties were. it looked a bit more like the latter today. Every player when he goes on the pitch should be in no doubt as to what is expected of him.

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:39 PM
CH is a Lennon fan rather than a Hibs fan. He only posts on catholic and Lennon matters

Such a positive post. How did you enjoy today's game? Any positives from today?

guthrie01
04-02-2017, 05:40 PM
😂😂😂😂😂 Jambo alert

Stop it. He is entitled to his opinion, how about you face the facts Lennon is not the greatest manager in the world going by your posts. Call me a Jambo but his tactics and team picks where poor today

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Such a positive post. How did you enjoy today's game? Any positives from today?
you're kidding right?

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Just in the door from the game myself, and although I'm as disappointed as the next with the result, I don't think the blame can be laid completely at Lennon's door.

Yes, probably got the team wrong today. But even taking that into consideration, the players on the field today should've been enough to win - which they basically showed after 15/20 mins of being absolutely garbage.

Their goal was something straight out of Sunday league. Laidlaw should've done better, but it should never have got that far in the first place. Defending was abysmal.

Once we settled down, I don't think Laidlaw had anything to do for the entire game after that, and their keeper kept them in it with 3 or 4 great saves.

Lennon got the team wrong, but if their ridiculous goal doesn't happen, we would have went on to win that - with out without Cummings starting. (fwiw, I'm a big Cummings fan and think he should've been in the starting 11.)

I also thought Holt showed why he is actually alot better than folk give him credit for on here sometimes - will be a big player for us next week.

My biggest concern (apart from the result) was Fontaine. Thought he looked shaky on the ball at times and low on confidence - which isn't great considering the match we have next week and the injuries we have at the back (Hanlon) at the minute.

Utd humping Raith currently. Not a good day at the office for us, but we'll still be 6 ahead after tonight. Put it behind us and move on. We were never going to win every game on the way to the championship (even if it is at home to Ayr!)

P.S. Yes Shinnie was pretty awful today, I'm guessing the only reason we didn't see McGeouch was that with him getting injured every second game or so, he was being saved for next week.

Spot on.
Some poor performances but we will recover.

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:43 PM
you're kidding right?

You've answer my question.

Anyway sorry to deflect from Catholic Lennon chat 😂

Onion
04-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Grant Holt was excellent when he came on today. Glad to see him get some decent recognition on a few threads for a change.

:top marks Have really warmed to Holt over time. Not the goalscorer I thought we had signed, but great footballing brain and decent work rate for the auld guy. One of those players you wished you'd had in your team 10 years ago.

BSEJVT
04-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Either the players didn't carry out the duties they were given or the manager didn't make it clear what their duties were. it looked a bit more like the latter today. Every player when he goes on the pitch should be in no doubt as to what is expected of him.

I don't think its that at all

I think on this occasion he picked the wrong team pure and simple

At this time of year with pitches cutting up badly and soft it is virtually impossible to dribble with or run with the ball, therefore picking 2 guys whose game is all about that was IMO a huge error.

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 05:55 PM
I don't think its that at all

I think on this occasion he picked the wrong team pure and simple

At this time of year with pitches cutting up badly and soft it is virtually impossible to dribble with or run with the ball, therefore picking 2 guys whose game is all about that was IMO a huge error.

I thought the team looked ok with width and pace. People have been screaming for width all season. It didn't work today and we learn. At least Neil has the ability to try formation changes and will learn from this. We are still top and going for the league.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 06:04 PM
I thought the team looked ok with width and pace. People have been screaming for width all season. It didn't work today and we learn. At least Neil has the ability to try formation changes and will learn from this. We are still top and going for the league.

You honestly thought that team performance was ok today? Honestly?! I think that's up there with the most lacklustre Hibs performances I've ever witnessed, first half especially. You're right though, we're still top. But that showing today was honking.

BSEJVT
04-02-2017, 06:06 PM

On paper I would agree with you, except for dropping Cummings, and that is a team I expect we will see again and to good effect on another date, hopefully later in the season when pitches are firmer against teams who are at least prepared to come out and play.

I personally don't like Shinnie at all and would much prefer Dylan, but the decision to play him in preference is understandable, the Cummings one less so

I have no problem with him changing formations and hope he does learn, I personally think he changes them too often but we are where we are and he deserves credit for that.

I think he got is spectacularly wrong this time as in addition to my earlier points they also have quite quick full backs which would have negated our pace advantage.

The wingers were never able to find any space to even take the ball in so I think using them today failed on all fronts.

Lennon deserves credit for seeing it wasn't working and having the guts to change Humphreys for Holt earlier than he would normally make subs.

Its a bad day at the office nothing more and we move on.

Booked4Being-Ugly
04-02-2017, 06:07 PM
You honestly thought that team performance was ok today? Honestly?! I think that's up there with the most lacklustre Hibs performances I've ever witnessed, first half especially. You're right though, we're still top. But that showing today was honking.
Correct, that 1st half was the worst performance I've seen from a Hibs team in a long time.

We dropped 2 points at home to a p!sh Ayr UTD team so the only positive we can take is that we never lost!

coldingham hibs
04-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Why on earth did Lennon take off Boyle just when we were starting to make headway, Boyle was beginning to influence the game, I find it bewildering.

wookie70
04-02-2017, 06:11 PM
I tend to agree with the OP. Lennon's team selection for this game was baffling and ultimately contributed to losing two very valuable two points. If we don't win the league this will be the game I look back to. A home banker where we fail to play a proper Centre Forward from the start.

Lennon was just hovering over pass marks in my opinion but he has dropped that for me today. Yes, we are top of the league but we have less points than last year, got bombed out of cups early and his signings have been, untested goalkeepers notwithstanding, very poor. Next week is a very important game for us as a defeat will hurt and that could easily lead to a loss of confidence. United will have a sniff of our tails again and the pressure will be back on. The only positive I can take from today is that Lennon will surely just pick JC for the remainder of the season. Saying that, when he scored today he very quickly found himself playing behind Holt and Graham and almost in midfield at times. A shambolic performance ignited by a disjointed team selection.

houstonhibbee
04-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Why on earth did Lennon take off Boyle just when we were starting to make headway, Boyle was beginning to influence the game, I find it bewildering.
and replace him with another center forward meaning we have two on the pitch of not three

WhileTheChief..
04-02-2017, 06:14 PM
So every time we drop points we blame Neil Lennon? Is that how it has to be from now on?

Moat of the players were crap today, that was the problem.

SChibs
04-02-2017, 06:21 PM

Awful manager

Absolute drivel.

scoopyboy
04-02-2017, 06:25 PM
So every time we drop points we blame Neil Lennon? Is that how it has to be from now on?

No it isn't always Neil Lennon's fault but today it was.

No need whatsoever to change the team from last weekends win at QOTS.

Not aimed at you WTC but why do people bring religion into Hibs debates, I couldn't give a f*** about religion, I support a football team that means the world to me and hate how people bring religion into it.

wookie70
04-02-2017, 06:26 PM

I don't think I would have criticised him if the starting line up hadn't have been so poor. Dropping Cummings when we struggled to score against teams that park the bus is a stupid decision. Playing one up front isn't great particularly when Keats frequently plays away from the box. What is the problem with blaming Lennon when I think it was his mostly his fault.

ionahibby
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Lennon's selections today struck me as someone who had an eye on next week which is baffling considering how he harks on about promotion be vital.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM

Awful manager

Will you give it a ****ing rest eh! What utter crap that is, next weeks game Lennon will have the boys up for it. We are 6 clear at the top as well can't be that bad after all.

Be nice to hear from you more after wins Steve rather than all the negotiable stuff you constantly come out with. It's tiresome it really is!

QMU-1875
04-02-2017, 06:30 PM
The way the starting 11 went about the game from the start cost us the game ...far too slow, too defensive, no pace in passing wide men didn't. Want the ball ...AYR pressed us high a d didn't gi e fyvie or McGinn get on the ball and the rest, would co.e of markers to get it ...poor poor first half ! The players that started should ha e been good enough to give us a good start but didn't !!

Look at the difference when Cummings and Holt came on. Shinnie and Humphrey were like playing with 9 men

tamig
04-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Not aimed at you WTC but why do people bring religion into Hibs debates, I couldn't give a f*** about religion, I support a football team that means the world to me and hate how people bring religion into it.

I disagree with you to a point on the team selection. We won last week but we were poor. I'd have changed the line up today but to start without anyone who could hold the ball up top was wrong - with the benefit of hindsight. Humphrey was as good as a man short too but the manager did do something about that eventually.

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Totally agree with everything in your post, well said :top marks

JimBHibees
04-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Awful manager

Shambles of a comment. :greengrin

scoopyboy
04-02-2017, 06:42 PM
I disagree with you to a point on the team selection. We won last week but we were poor. I'd have changed the line up today but to start without anyone who could hold the ball up top was wrong - with the benefit of hindsight. Humphrey was as good as a man short too but the manager did do something about that eventually.

I agree we weren't great at Palmerston but to drop both Cummings and Holt was stupid and I won't change my mind on that even though I'm not a great fan of Holt.

Heaven help us if we have a long term injury to Jason.

People on here credit 6 points to Kris Commons for his goals against Falkirk and Dumbarton,

How many points does that mean Jason Cummings is worth then?

Smartie
04-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Lennon's selections today struck me as someone who had an eye on next week which is baffling considering how he harks on about promotion be vital.

I got that feeling too.

It had an experimental feel to it, although I was happy with the team when it was announced.

I suspect Lennon thought he had more than enough to get through this one without having to play his best team, and it backfired.

Waxy
04-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Awful manager

Absolute brutal post op and very wrong.

tamig
04-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Absolute brutal post op and very wrong.

It's what he always says. Guaranteed after any game where we fail to win.

Canon Hannan
04-02-2017, 06:49 PM

Strange post. You are the only person mentioning religion.

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2017, 06:51 PM

The buck stops with him today with a baffling team selection and no recognised centre forward at home against a part time outfit. That was a horrendous display today and I'm not satisfied he has what it takes. The football on offer at ER this season has been brutal on the eye yet I keep hearing he will get us up blah blah blah, with that squad we should be running away with this league in style not scraping by each week with a 1-0 or a draw.

scoopyboy
04-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Strange post. You are the only person mentioning religion.

Aye, read back the thread and get back to me then.

HappyAsHellas
04-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Anyone who thought Humphrey would do a good job out wide needs their heads examined. A good first half debut against Utd and absolutely abysmal since. I wasn't at Dumfries so can't rate him on that game, but in the cup game against Bonnyrigg I was expecting him to be taking on the full back at every opportunity, yet he was invisible for the entire game. Twice today he got the ball in the centre of the park and never even looked up to see if anything was on, opting for the safe backward pass - pitiful. Keatings up top is a disaster as he couldn't hold water, never mind a ball. Holt made an immediate impact and had their defenders worried for the first time in the game. JC pulls us out of the mire yet again and we would have been as well throwing on a traffic cone rather than Graham. All in all a good section of the blame lies with Lennon - why oh why does he not play our best team from the start?

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Anyone who thought Humphrey would do a good job out wide needs their heads examined. A good first half debut against Utd and absolutely abysmal since. I wasn't at Dumfries so can't rate him on that game, but in the cup game against Bonnyrigg I was expecting him to be taking on the full back at every opportunity, yet he was invisible for the entire game. Twice today he got the ball in the centre of the park and never even looked up to see if anything was on, opting for the safe backward pass - pitiful. Keatings up top is a disaster as he couldn't hold water, never mind a ball. Holt made an immediate impact and had their defenders worried for the first time in the game. JC pulls us out of the mire yet again and we would have been as well throwing on a traffic cone rather than Graham. All in all a good section of the blame lies with Lennon - why oh why does he not play our best team from the start?

Humphrey didn't play last week but the selection and tactics today were bizarre. McGinn's position on the pitch was also bewildering, he was playing for the most part in front of the back four. What a waste!

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Do you think Neil Lennon thought he'd be the player who would do a good job out wide, as I doubt any of us has seen much of him since he left Motherwell?

Real Emerald
04-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Do you think Neil Lennon thought he'd be the player who would do a good job out wide, as I doubt any of us has seen much of him since he left Motherwell?

Were you at the game today, genuine question?

HappyAsHellas
04-02-2017, 07:18 PM

On his debut he looked like a player who would take on defenders and knew how to cross a ball - exactly what we'd been crying out for over the last 3 years (at least). His performances since have been woeful at best and fail to see why Lennon thinks he's worth putting on the pitch.

scoopyboy
04-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Aye, read back the thread and get back to me then.

Come in Canon Hannon I'm not receiving you.

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2017, 07:28 PM
Were you at the game today, genuine question?

I watched the whole 90 minutes today, plus the 4 and a bit injury time.

cmcd
04-02-2017, 07:39 PM
The buck stops with him today with a baffling team selection and no recognised centre forward at home against a part time outfit. That was a horrendous display today and I'm not satisfied he has what it takes. The football on offer at ER this season has been brutal on the eye yet I keep hearing he will get us up blah blah blah, with that squad we should be running away with this league in style not scraping by each week with a 1-0 or a draw.
When the team was announced most supported in behind the goals thought it was a good team more than capable of winning the game . Now we have some of the managers on here saying the manager is useless and chose the wrong team . Same people every other week moaning about this and that. We are top of the league and I for one expect us to be their in May

RIP
04-02-2017, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=scoopyboy;4933356]Come in Canon Hannon

https://sites.google.com/site/southsideheritagegroup/notable-graves/grange-graveyard/canon-hannan

wookie70
04-02-2017, 08:24 PM
When the team was announced most supported in behind the goals thought it was a good team more than capable of winning the game . Now we have some of the managers on here saying the manager is useless and chose the wrong team . Same people every other week moaning about this and that. We are top of the league and I for one expect us to be their in May

Maybe the ones behind the goals were as wrong as Lennon was today. I can't believe there wasn't discussions around dropping our most likely to score, playing without a big guy but with two wingers, and having no-one to hold it up and only one up top. There certainly was where I was sitting, it wasn't hindsight. It looked a team where he thought it was enough and would give JC a rest and a chance for Humphrey and Boyle to stake a place for tiny. It was yet another shape and another change of personnel in an ever changing starting line up. It didn't work and I hope he has taken some responsibility in his interview.

stantonhibby
04-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Gutless imposter? Classy

High-On-Hibs
04-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Don't think it would have mattered who he started with today. They all looked like they were on a hangover!

liscious_hibs
04-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Signings have been very poor. We'll struggle with Shinnie playing every week while the likes of Holt and Graham have offered nothing of note.
I think that Holt offers more than goals, aye alright he's not scoring which you can see is frustrating him but he sets up attacks really well with well placed passes and when there's no space he makes space. We've also hardly seen Graham to see what he can really contribute.

Humphrys gash. Worst signing NL has made IMO

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Totally agree. I, like every other fan wish Holt had scored more. But I'm glad he's not just lashing out and shooting from every half chance, but instead he's always looking for a team mate and trying to create for the team. I do think we're much better when the big man plays.

liscious_hibs
04-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Aye he has a presence that puts defenders on edge, there's a palpable change when he's on. Holt should definitely be a starter, not a sub

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

greenlex
04-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Getting back to Lennon. Does anyone know how we would have shuffled the defence had we lost either McGregor or Fontaine to injury today?

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Getting back to Lennon. Does anyone know how we would have shuffled the defence had we lost either McGregor or Fontaine to injury today?

After today's starting line up I wouldn't have been surprised if he brought on Crane and switched Lewey to CH. Lennon doesn't have a clue.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 10:03 PM
After today's starting line up I wouldn't have been surprised if he brought on Crane and switched Lewey to CH. Lennon doesn't have a clue.

Come onnnnn. We're 6 points clear at the top. To say he doesn't have a clue is harsh!

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Come onnnnn. We're 6 points clear at the top. To say he doesn't have a clue is harsh!

In this League we should be at least 16 clear never mind 6.

JohnM1875
04-02-2017, 10:08 PM

I'd take winning it on goal difference to be honest!

You've also just said in another thread there's no reason why we couldn't win the Scottish Cup and league. Imagine we had a manager who had a clue!! Haha.

I get where you're coming from, I do! Wasn't convinced with Lennon's appointment at the start of the season. But he has us 6 points clear at the top so I'm not going to complain. Unless we finish second. Then he can GTF!

pacoluna
04-02-2017, 10:10 PM

How do you come to that conclusion considering its our 3rd season in the chship? You don't like Lennon I take it? How about SJM today? Any comment on his performance? For me it was his worse in a hibs jersey.but I'm not going to judge him on one bad game or a couple unlike you with Nl

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2017, 10:16 PM
How do you come to that conclusion considering its our 3rd season in the chship? You don't like Lennon I take it? How about SJM today? Any comment on his performance? For me it was his worse in a hibs jersey.but I'm not going to judge him on one bad game or a couple unlike you with Nl
Lennon's had more than a couple of games though hasn't he.
Our previous 2 campaigns had Hearts and Rangers in the league who of note is in the league now ?

SJM like the rest of the team was dire for the main in the first half but that might have had something to do with not playing a CF and having nothing to aim at.

147lothian
04-02-2017, 10:29 PM

Considering We lost Stokes and Henderson before the campaign even got underway and it is our third year in the Championship, to say we should be 16 points clear is utter tosh

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 10:30 PM

McGinn was no where near his worst performance. Him, Lewis and Darren were our best players.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 10:32 PM

Clearly does have a clue, top of the league would be the big clue! He may have thought Hibs were good enough to beat Ayr with that team he put out! Sadly most were off their game and it cost us 3 points.

wookie70
04-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Getting back to Lennon. Does anyone know how we would have shuffled the defence had we lost either McGregor or Fontaine to injury today? I suppose the plan would have been move SDG in or bring Bartley on. I was very surprised Jordon was not on the bench but that was probably a sacrifice due to the odd starting line up.

JK Rolling
04-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Clearly does have a clue, top of the league would be the big clue! He may have thought Hibs were good enough to beat Ayr with that team he put out! Sadly most were off their game and it cost us 3 points.

Lennon has us top of a league that is effectively a one horse race. Not many clues required there. The fact we're not significantly further in front of the chasing pack is of no concern to me as we will comfortably win this league however, he is a decent manager, nothing more than that.

The next match will be a big test for him.

Sorry to be a pedant but it cost us 2 points.

silverhibee
04-02-2017, 11:34 PM

:agree:

That sums it up for me.

silverhibee
04-02-2017, 11:39 PM
I agree we weren't great at Palmerston but to drop both Cummings and Holt was stupid and I won't change my mind on that even though I'm not a great fan of Holt.

Heaven help us if we have a long term injury to Jason.

People on here credit 6 points to Kris Commons for his goals against Falkirk and Dumbarton,

How many points does that mean Jason Cummings is worth then?

That would be a disaster of all disasters, even him out for 4-6 weeks would be a massive blow.

Thecat23
04-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Lennon has us top of a league that is effectively a one horse race. Not many clues required there. The fact we're not significantly further in front of the chasing pack is of no concern to me as we will comfortably win this league however, he is a decent manager, nothing more than that.

The next match will be a big test for him.

Sorry to be a pedant but it cost us 2 points.

A lot of folk before KO were happy enough with that team. It should be more than enough to beat Ayr, I think he's playing his best 11 for the derby. Imagine Cummings got injured today we'd be ****ed. Nothing wrong with resting players imo when your playing Ayr at home.

It's the players who need a good shake not Lennon! He's defo had one eye on next week.

JK Rolling
05-02-2017, 12:17 AM
A lot of folk before KO were happy enough with that team. It should be more than enough to beat Ayr, I think he's playing his best 11 for the derby. Imagine Cummings got injured today we'd be ****ed. Nothing wrong with resting players imo when your playing Ayr at home.

It's the players who need a good shake not Lennon! He's defo had one eye on next week.

Good points well made mate.

The league will take care of itself but next week needs to be addressed in a totally professional manner. The Yams have gone from a joke to a good looking outfit in a matter of days whereas we have taken a wee bit of a dip. That's a slight worry ,but if the players/management perform to the level we know they are capable of then we will not lose. I will admit to have gone from being supremely confident a week ago to now being more that happy to take a money spinning replay.

silverhibee
05-02-2017, 12:18 AM

Right, first things first, Falkirk, Deary me :greengrin

Agree about the team he put out today should have been enough to beat Ayr.

But today's game is more important than the cup game, so it should have been strongest team today from Lennon and have no eye on the cup game, priority is to get out this league, and I'm sure we will, but league game are more important than cup games this season, there is a bigger chance Cummings could get injured in the derby game with tackles flying in, Cummings should have started today.

One game at a time and his eye should have only been about getting 3 points today.

houstonhibbee
05-02-2017, 12:23 AM
Right, first things first, Falkirk, Deary me :greengrin

Agree about the team he put out today should have been enough to beat Ayr.

But today's game is more important than the cup game, so it should have been strongest team today from Lennon and have no eye on the cup game, priority is to get out this league, and I'm sure we will, but league game are more important than cup games this season, there is a bigger chance Cummings could get injured in the derby game with tackles flying in, Cummings should have started today.

One game at a time and his eye should have only been about getting 3 points today.

Didn't see Hearts resting anyone for next week and they have a lot less at stake than us in the league

Libby Hibby
05-02-2017, 06:08 AM
All week the messages from the club were 'The Hearts game can wait until after the Ayr game', 'we can't get complacent against Ayr' and 'we need the right attitude, we can't be dropping points to Ayr at home'...well unfortunately, that's exactly what we did yesterday. Lennons team selection was based with the Hearts game in mind and the squad will have known this. It still should've been enough to win against Ayr but our priority is the league and the strongest 11 should've been played.

If our best 11 was played, we would've won and would've a nice boost for next week.

By playing the team selected yesterday, we have gave up some of our league advantage over Utd and inturn put us Ina downer for the next game!!! Why? There was no need. It was just Lennon trying to be too clever IMO and carry out the exact opposite of what the club were saying all week. Not deliberately ofcourse but I cannot fathom out the selection yesterday of our front 3. It was just bizarre.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2017, 07:57 AM
I'm confused why he played two wingers but no centre forward?

Super_JMcGinn
05-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Join the club, it was all our group talked about the minute we heard the team and those around us. As bizarre a team selection I've seen given what we had on the bench.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2017, 09:18 AM
In this League we should be at least 16 clear never mind 6.When was the last time Hibs were 16 points clear of Dundee United in February? We have no divine right to be ahead of anyone, we've worked hard to get a 6 point lead and we need to maintain it.

Onion
05-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Then he's a fool who got found out big time. Nothing is more important than promotion this season and his managerial career and Hibs financial future might depend on it. Beating Hearts in the last 16 of Scottish Cup will be no consolation if Hibs fail.

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Keatings is a centre forward

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Maybe the ones behind the goals were as wrong as Lennon was today. I can't believe there wasn't discussions around dropping our most likely to score, playing without a big guy but with two wingers, and having no-one to hold it up and only one up top. There certainly was where I was sitting, it wasn't hindsight. It looked a team where he thought it was enough and would give JC a rest and a chance for Humphrey and Boyle to stake a place for tiny. It was yet another shape and another change of personnel in an ever changing starting line up. It didn't work and I hope he has taken some responsibility in his interview.

We played 2 wide men without a big guy up front when we pumped Dundee Utd and that worked ok didn't it?

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2017, 09:38 AM
Keatings is a centre forward

Not for me, drops deep and has very little presence as a front man. He should only play up front on his own if we have an injury crisis, and i have not brought my boots.:wink:

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Not for me, drops deep and has very little presence as a front man. He should only play up front on his own if we have an injury crisis, and i have not brought my boots.:wink:Agree with you 100% (first time for everything)

Even Graham and Keatings would've done significantly more than Keatings with the 2 wingers either side.

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Not for me, drops deep and has very little presence as a front man. He should only play up front on his own if we have an injury crisis, and i have not brought my boots.:wink:

I don't disagree however it doesn't mean that we played yesterday without a centre forward. Just one that wasn't effective enough in the shape we played.

I'm guessing Lennon wanted something similar to the Dundee Utd game with the only change to the front 3 being Keatings in for Cummings. That should still be good enough to beat Ayr!!

Heisenberg
05-02-2017, 09:44 AM
We are about to see if there is any major difference between a Lennon team and a Stubbs team. We fell apart at this stage last season. Big test coming up for these players, both mentally and physically on the park. Will Lennon have them stronger than Stubbs? The jury is out based on some of our home results so far.

ski1875
05-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Get off Lennons back. Why does everyone think they know it all about football management. The mans got a gameplan and if he keeps jason out the team then fair enough. What if he got injured or bought in January? Just let the man do his job. Only criticism is shinnie and even Lenny seen how bad he was yesterday.

Jones28
05-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Then he's a fool who got found out big time. Nothing is more important than promotion this season and his managerial career and Hibs financial future might depend on it. Beating Hearts in the last 16 of Scottish Cup will be no consolation if Hibs fail.

Tbf if he'd started Cummings and he's been snapped and subsequently injured Lennon would be getting slated for it

Super_JMcGinn
05-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Tbf if he'd started Cummings and he's been snapped and subsequently injured Lennon would be getting slated for it

Why would he have any more chance of getting injured yesterday as opposed to last week or next, that's just nonsense.

Lennon screwed up with the team yesterday and he should have learnt from his already numerous mistakes this season with his team selection.

cmcd
05-02-2017, 10:45 AM
Why would he have any more chance of getting injured yesterday as opposed to last week or next, that's just nonsense.

Lennon screwed up with the team yesterday and he should have learnt from his already numerous mistakes this season with his team selection.
Remind me who you manage

silverhibee
05-02-2017, 10:58 AM

Why would Lennon get slated for it. :confused:

FC Leige
05-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Tbf if he'd started Cummings and he's been snapped and subsequently injured Lennon would be getting slated for it So we shouldn't play our most potent striker on the off chance he might get injured. Why didn't we just play our entire U20 team yesterday and not risk anyone?

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2017, 11:55 AM
I don't disagree however it doesn't mean that we played yesterday without a centre forward. Just one that wasn't effective enough in the shape we played.

I'm guessing Lennon wanted something similar to the Dundee Utd game with the only change to the front 3 being Keatings in for Cummings. That should still be good enough to beat Ayr!!

We played 2 wide men, with nobody to hit. Keatings does not make centre forward runs, or commit the last man to make space.

Cummings and Holt came on yesterday, but we then took both wingers off.

I find that strange and disagree with it, both times in my opinion we played the wrong shape with the personnel we had on the park.

Phil MaGlass
05-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Thing for me is, we had Commons for emergency cover and even when he was not 100% fit he did a great job, now it seems were back to struggling against teams we should be putting atleast 3 goals past in games. Had we made just one quality signing in the windae, IMO, it would have made a big impact. If United beat Falkirk, and I think they will, I can see them catching us again, the game on the 10th of March against them is going to be massive.