PDA

View Full Version : Tynecastle Arms and the Six Nations

Glorious St Pat
03-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Had the proverbial nosebleed and misfortune having to drive through Gorgie tonight and it was obvious that a particular flag was missing from the windows of the afore mentioned pub considering the current six nations rugby about to start - and no it wasn't the English one!

Coincidence?

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Some Irish punter probably chored it! :-)

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2017, 10:36 PM
Some Irish punter probably chored it! :-)
Doubtful. I think the OP is suggesting that Irish aren't allowed in Gorgie . 🙄

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Glorious St Pat
03-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Doubtful. I think the OP is suggesting that Irish aren't allowed in Gorgie . 🙄

Well we 'Hibernian'...the Edinburgh Irish better not turn up next Sunday! Only joking!....get intae them!

SouthMoroccoStu
04-02-2017, 04:07 AM
Had the proverbial nosebleed and misfortune having to drive through Gorgie tonight and it was obvious that a particular flag was missing from the windows of the afore mentioned pub considering the current six nations rugby about to start - and no it wasn't the English one!

Coincidence?

Odd considering that it's Scotland vs Ireland this weekend

It's easy to assume that there's a sinister reason for this (it's been widely discussed that there is a growing presence in the hearts support that are too similar to the Rangers) but I would like to think there is a simple explanation

Earlydelivery
04-02-2017, 04:17 AM
Drove through the tip last year and thought the same ?

Mr White
04-02-2017, 06:31 AM
It's the same over here in Bangor which is a strongly unionist town. They don't put the tricolour up outside pubs with the other 5 flags, they have a generic green one with the irish rugby logo and 4 provence symbols on it to represent Ireland. I imagine that's the case across much of NI too.

LancashireHibby
04-02-2017, 07:08 AM
It's the same over here in Bangor which is a strongly unionist town. They don't put the tricolour up outside pubs with the other 5 flags, they have a generic green one with the irish rugby logo and 4 provence symbols on it to represent Ireland. I imagine that's the case across much of NI too.

I'm far from an expert on the topic, but to me that sounds like quite a good idea given the Irish rugby team represents both the north and the Republic?

Mr White
04-02-2017, 07:11 AM
I'm far from an expert on the topic, but to me that sounds like quite a good idea given the Irish rugby team represents both the north and the Republic?

Yes it is a good idea and essential here but it's generally ignored on most 6 nations marketing in ROI, England and some parts of Scotland where they usually just put the Irish tricolour on with nobody batting an eyelid.

CropleyWasGod
04-02-2017, 07:31 AM
Don't be silly. It's a proddy-Hearts conspiracy, of course.

[emoji48]

heretoday
04-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Don't be silly. It's a proddy-Hearts conspiracy, of course.

[emoji48]

The Unionist stronghold of Gorgie!

Last time I was there it was more like eastern Europe and good luck to them.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2017, 07:28 PM
The Irish rugby team represents the whole island of Ireland and not just the sovereign state of the Republic of Ireland so it's entirely accurate to not use the tricolour, which is the flag of ROI, when publicising the Six Nations.

Mr White
04-02-2017, 08:06 PM
The Irish rugby team represents the whole island of Ireland and not just the sovereign state of the Republic of Ireland so it's entirely accurate to not use the tricolour, which is the flag of ROI, when publicising the Six Nations.

It often is used though, particularly outside pubs to advertise that they'll be showing the games. As far as I can tell the op is saying there was no flag there to represent Ireland. Call the cops I say.

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Coincidence?

Have the Republic of Ireland entered the 6 nations this year?:rolleyes:

Mr White
05-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Have the Republic of Ireland entered the 6 nations this year?:rolleyes:

No but the Irish rugby union do use the tricolour as an official flag from time to time. It was flown at Lansdowne road and still is at the aviva when the Irish team play there and here's an image from the 2015 rugby world cup when Ireland used both the tricolour and the flag of Ulster.

Just Alf
05-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Is this a new flag debate thread?

Popcorn at the ready!! :D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Mr White
05-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Is this a new flag debate thread?

Popcorn at the ready!! :D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

If we just stick to the facts and leave out any poorly researched or romanticised make believe then it should remain civil :greengrin

Pretty Boy
05-02-2017, 08:39 AM
If we just stick to the facts and leave out any poorly researched or romanticised make believe then it should remain civil :greengrin

To hell with that. It's cause folk in Gorgie hate kafflicks and fenians an that.

Should fly the tricolour from the main stand at ER imo.

Mr White
05-02-2017, 08:44 AM
To hell with that. It's cause folk in Gorgie hate kafflicks and fenians an that.

Should fly the tricolour from the main stand at ER imo.

Nonsense. Golden harp on a green background. If they get the shade of green wrong I swear I'll do time :grr:

Sir David Gray
05-02-2017, 04:55 PM
No but the Irish rugby union do use the tricolour as an official flag from time to time. It was flown at Lansdowne road and still is at the aviva when the Irish team play there and here's an image from the 2015 rugby world cup when Ireland used both the tricolour and the flag of Ulster.

That's not the Irish tricolour, that's the flag of the Ivory Coast. :wink:

Mr White
05-02-2017, 06:00 PM
That's not the Irish tricolour, that's the flag of the Ivory Coast. :wink:

Canada might have stood a chance against them.

nellio
07-02-2017, 12:56 PM
On the IRB website they have always used the green flag with the 4 provinces in the corners and the IRFU in the centre but have never actually seen one of these flags outside a pub etc its always a Tricolour.