PDA

View Full Version : Joe Baker

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Never saw him play but recall him kissing the turf at the Hands of Hibs rally.

He was obviously a phenomenal goal scorer and great player. Any older heads testify to his brilliance and how would they compare him to Lawrie Reilly as a centre forward?

Ilovehibs
03-02-2017, 10:39 PM
Came from the west but Hibs were in him through and through. Had the privilege of speaking to him around time of Hands of Hibs. A passionate and lovely man.

Cant compare him to Lawrie as didn't see them play but know that Joe looked up to Lawrie alot. Legends the pair of them.
My Dad's heroes for sure.

cmcd
03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Came from the west but Hibs were in him through and through. Had the privilege of speaking to him around time of Hands of Hibs. A passionate and lovely man.

Cant compare him to Lawrie as didn't see them play but know that Joe looked up to Lawrie alot. Legends the pair of them.
My Dad's heroes for sure.

Joe was very quick could score goals with both feet and was also very good in the air considering he was not the biggest .Was very young when LR was playing but uncles told me how good he was and obviously a great goal scorer

iwasthere1972
03-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Never saw him play but recall him kissing the turf at the Hands of Hibs rally.

He was obviously a phenomenal goal scorer and great player. Any older heads testify to his brilliance and how would they compare him to Lawrie Reilly as a centre forward?

Only got to see him when he returned to us in the early 70's when he scored a goal against Aberdeen at Easter Road. We won 2-0 or 2-1 I think.

Forza Fred
03-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Can't recall seeing Lawrie Reilly play, but he was a lovely man.

Saw Joe, in both stints at Easter Road.

The prince of goal scorers.

Speedy
04-02-2017, 12:41 AM
My Dad is 69 and swears Joe Baker is the best player ever to grace Easter Road.

Obviously never seen him but he went on to do well at Arsenal as well.

Speedy
04-02-2017, 12:45 AM
Apparently we sold him for £75k. When you think how much we are selling star players for 50+ years later, in the era of Sky money, it gives you an indication of his talent.

cabbageandribs1875
04-02-2017, 12:50 AM
Apparently we sold him for £75k. When you think how much we are selling star players for 50+ years later, in the era of Sky money, it gives you an indication of his talent.

and to think all he was wanting was a wee wage rise of £5/week at ER :(

or sommit like that

Speedy
04-02-2017, 02:27 AM
and to think all he was wanting was a wee wage rise of £5/week at ER :(

or sommit like that

Wikipedia said he wanted an extra £5 on top of his £12/week wage.

FFS Petrie!!!

esjorto
04-02-2017, 03:37 AM
I was privileged to see both Reilly and Baker.
I was early teens when I saw Reilly many times - great player in a wonderful team.
Saw more of Hibs in my late teens, early twenties and so had a better understanding of the game.
Joe played in a middle-of-the-league team but in just four seasons scored 159 league goals. Season was 34 games long.
In one of his four years with Hibs (59-60) he played in 33 games and scored an amazing 42 goals.
He was, only in my opinion , the greatest goalscorer ever in Scotland, and did almost as well with Arsenal after leaving Torino.
I was in Torino for the Olympic Games in 2006 and met so many Torino fans who spoke of him with reverence.
Wee bit of trivia --- I was behind the goals bottom of the slope against Peebles Rovers when Joe scored nine. I, and all those around me swore that Joe hit one hard at a sharp angle. The ball flew into goal but came out fast UNDER the inside of the side net which would have got him a tenth.
I find it hard now to think about or comment on Joe Baker without the tears coming.

God rest you Joe.

Earlydelivery
04-02-2017, 04:20 AM
I was early teens when I saw Reilly many times - great player in a wonderful team.
Saw more of Hibs in my late teens, early twenties and so had a better understanding of the game.
Joe played in a middle-of-the-league team but in just four seasons scored 159 league goals. Season was 34 games long.
In one of his four years with Hibs (59-60) he played in 33 games and scored an amazing 42 goals.
He was, only in my opinion , the greatest goalscorer ever in Scotland, and did almost as well with Arsenal after leaving Torino.
I was in Torino for the Olympic Games in 2006 and met so many Torino fans who spoke of him with reverence.
Wee bit of trivia --- I was behind the goals bottom of the slope against Peebles Rovers when Joe scored nine. I, and all those around me swore that Joe hit one hard at a sharp angle. The ball flew into goal but came out fast UNDER the inside of the side net which would have got him a tenth.
I find it hard now to think about or comment on Joe Baker without the tears coming.

God rest you Joe.great story m8 good on you .

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 06:22 AM
I was there when he came back and pestered folks for a pair of white boots for Xmas.
Also saw him kiss the turf on that emotional day.
RIP

J-C
04-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Just read his Wiki page, jeez the guy could score goals 137 games for Hibs and 114 goals his career is 507 games 301 goals.

I remember my dad telling me how good he was and I remember him in 71-72 season and like Best it was at he end of his career.

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 07:51 AM
We used to sing
"Joe Baker
Superstar
How many goals have you scored so far"

et vireta
04-02-2017, 07:52 AM
I was in London this day (about 1985 ?). I took a wee trip one Friday to have a look at Highbury Stadium (Arsenal's old ground)
There was a lot of press and cameras all hanging about outside.

Anyhow I went into club shop and was served by Jack Kelsey (A great Arsenal and Wales keeper from the 50's)
got talking to him and told him I was from Edinburgh. He said "You must be a Hibs man then ?" By Christ I could have jumped over the counter and gave the guy a bear hug !

Anyhow, he told me the board were having a meeting to decide the future of Charlie Nicholas.
I asked him what he thought of him and asked him how he compared with Joe Baker.

His answer was " What ? !! He couldn't lace Joe's books !!"

Enough for me !

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 07:57 AM
I was in London this day (about 1985 ?). I took a wee trip one Friday to have a look at Highbury Stadium (Arsenal's old ground)
There was a lot of press and cameras all hanging about outside.

Anyhow I went into club shop and was served by Jack Kelsey (A great Arsenal and Wales keeper from the 50's)
got talking to him and told him I was from Edinburgh. He said "You must be a Hibs man then ?" By Christ I could have jumped over the counter and gave the guy a bear hug !

Anyhow, he told me the board were having a meeting to decide the future of Charlie Nicholas.
I asked him what he thought of him and asked him how he compared with Joe Baker.

His answer was " What ? !! He couldn't lace Joe's books !!"

Enough for me !

👍

Roxyhibee
04-02-2017, 07:58 AM

God rest you Joe.

Thanks so much for posting this - fantastic. I'm emotional just reading it.

My dad saw plenty of The Famous Five and Joe in his heyday too. I suspect he gave The Baker Boy the edge over any other player as the greatest of all time. The fact he was playing for England when the likes of Greavsie was there, scoring goals in Italy and for Arsenal, is testament to his world class status.

I was already a 12 year old fanatic when he returned that day against Aberdeen with the white boots on. Very memorable day with him and Stanton scoring to give us a victory.

His love for Hibs displayed at the HOH rally still overwhelms me. Met him at a few Hibs nights - one where he auctioned off some of his own memorabilia to fund past Hibs players poor pension incomes. What an absolute genuine legend.

Golden Bear
04-02-2017, 08:06 AM
I was there when he came back and pestered folks for a pair of white boots for Xmas.
Also saw him kiss the turf on that emotional day.
RIP

Yip, that was a great occasion . It took a brave man even to think about wearing white boots in these days!

mim
04-02-2017, 08:15 AM

God rest you Joe.

This is why I won't be commenting today.

Great post :agree:

southsider
04-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Joe was only 17 at the time when Hibs had a floodlight friendly against Mancherter Utd and was up against the formidable Danny Blanchflower. In only his 3rd ever first time game he ran the legs off the Utd defence and scored a hat-trick. About a year later Joe got a full England cap. Joe got the train down then a cab to England training. The cabbie called the cops as he had this "mad scotchman" in the back who says he is playing for England tomorrow. The cops came and Joe had to show them the Daily Express with his picture before they would let him go.

lapsedhibee
04-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Joe was only 17 at the time when Hibs had a floodlight friendly against Mancherter Utd and was up against the formidable Danny Blanchflower. In only his 3rd ever first time game he ran the legs off the Utd defence and scored a hat-trick. About a year later Joe got a full England cap. Joe got the train down then a cab to England training. The cabbie called the cops as he had this "mad scotchman" in the back who says he is playing for England tomorrow. The cops came and Joe had to show them the Daily Express with his picture before they would let him go.

Jackie Blanchflower? :nerd:

southsider
04-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Jackie Blanchflower? :nerd:
Pretty sure it was Danny who played for Man U before moving to Spurs. But memory at my age can play tricks.

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Definitely Jackie

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Excellent book The Baker Boys by Tom Maxwell about Joe and Gerry

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Sure I read that Joe was in Alf Ramsays first team and he made the squad of 40 for World Cup in 66 and was considered unlucky to miss out on being in final 22

Roxyhibee
04-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Sure I read that Joe was in Alf Ramsays first team and he made the squad of 40 for World Cup in 66 and was considered unlucky to miss out on being in final 22

Dennis Law said in his autobiography that Joe should have been in that 22 easily and was good enough to play in the final. (Over Hurst I think he was alluding to..)

southsider
04-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Joe was the first player to make his debut for England whilst playing his football outwidth the football league. It took them 40 years to do so again with Owen Hargreaves.

Roxyhibee
04-02-2017, 09:19 AM
Dennis Law said in his autobiography that Joe should have been in that 22 easily and was good enough to play in the final. (Over Hurst I think he was alluding to..)

Denis.

heretoday
04-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Only got to see him when he returned to us in the early 70's when he scored a goal against Aberdeen at Easter Road. We won 2-0 or 2-1 I think.

Saturday 16th January 1971 - Baker wore white boots! That 2-1 win ended The Dons 15-game unbeaten run. Stanton scored the first with a thumping shot across Bobby Clark's goal.

Baker arrived at ER late in the season but still finished top scorer, according to my Hibernian Greats book by Stewart Brown , late Evening News football man.

These were the days of the cowshed and there was much mayhem to be enjoyed!

Big L
04-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I never seen the famous five play together, I did see four of them. Bobby Johnstone was away by then, but I did see him when they brought him back to play behind Joe, the greatest Hibs striker ever. I had some wonderful times as a young lad following Joe home and away on the Hibs bus, he gave me some wonderful memories to look back on, and I will always remember him fondly. I gave him a lift from ER to the Waverley after a game and even as a mature man I have to say I was enthralled to have him in the car. A great guy and a gentleman.
Quick question for the old guys, I think I remember being at a game when Reilly, who was at the end of his career, played alongside Joe, does anyone else recall that?

banarc7062
04-02-2017, 10:25 AM
For me the relationship between Joe and Bobby Johnstone was great. Bobby had a knack of placing the balls in the right place for Joe to put the icing on the cake. Remember the game v Barcelona when Joe played with No 10 on his shirt and Bobby Kinloch played with the 9 shirt. My recollections were of Kinloch getting some harsh treatment and it was justice that he scored the penalty that did not go down well with Barcelona players. GGTTH

Argylehibby
04-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Excellent book The Baker Boys by Tom Maxwell about Joe and Gerry

Yeah, really good read and shows what a great player Gerry was in his own right yet he was always in Joe's shadow.

Tom Hart RIP
04-02-2017, 10:35 AM
I never seen the famous five play together, I did see four of them. Bobby Johnstone was away by then, but I did see him when they brought him back to play behind Joe, the greatest Hibs striker ever. I had some wonderful times as a young lad following Joe home and away on the Hibs bus, he gave me some wonderful memories to look back on, and I will always remember him fondly. I gave him a lift from ER to the Waverley after a game and even as a mature man I have to say I was enthralled to have him in the car. A great guy and a gentleman.
Quick question for the old guys, I think I remember being at a game when Reilly, who was at the end of his career, played alongside Joe, does anyone else recall that?

Too young but I looked it up and they played together in a 2-0 home win over Queens Park. Joes second game. He scored 2. Lawrie was injured and don't think they played with each other again but may be wrong.

et vireta
04-02-2017, 10:44 AM
I have a great pic of Joe Baker scoring for England against Spain in Madrid Novemeber 1965.
England won that night and Sir Alf Ramsey was on record as saying that, he had at last and after a lot of experimenting got the team he wanted that could win the World Cup the following year. He absolutely adored Joe ! Joe was to be his centre forward

If you doubt that then just read Nobby Stiles' Autobiography where Stiles confirms that story.

Joe then picked up a bad injury and dropped out the picture.

No injury = No Geoff Hurst =No World Cup win !

Edinburgher
04-02-2017, 10:51 AM
He caused family problems - my grandfather (Hibee) and his brother (Jambo) went to see him v hearts where he scored four goals and the two never went to another football game with each other again!

Big L
04-02-2017, 10:57 AM
He caused family problems - my grandfather (Hibee) and his brother (Jambo) went to see him v hearts where he scored four goals and the two never went to another football game with each other again!

I was at that game, got in at half time, 4-0 up at half time, 4-3 at full time, what a second half Herts had. Had to change my pants when I got home!

esjorto
04-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Too young but I looked it up and they played together in a 2-0 home win over Queens Park. Joes second game. He scored 2. Lawrie was injured and don't think they played with each other again but may be wrong.

They played together in Reilly's last game for Hibs. Reilly wore number seven and played wide right. He scored a great goal in a 3-1 over Rangers despite being kicked off the park by Telfer Was the week before the 1958 Cup final, only Scottish cup final I ever saw Hibs live. That was back in the days when we couldn't win it!

stantonhibby
04-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I have a great pic of Joe Baker scoring for England against Spain in Madrid Novemeber 1965.
England won that night and Sir Alf Ramsey was on record as saying that, he had at last and after a lot of experimenting got the team he wanted that could win the World Cup the following year. He absolutely adored Joe ! Joe was to be his centre forward

If you doubt that then just read Nobby Stiles' Autobiography where Stiles confirms that story.

Joe then picked up a bad injury and dropped out the picture.

No injury = No Geoff Hurst =No World Cup win !

Joe would have scored 4

Tomsk
04-02-2017, 11:03 AM
At least I can say I saw Joe Baker playing. It was on his second spell with Hibs in a game against Falkirk at Brockville. He was a sub and scored the winner in a 3-2 win. Absolute scenes.

In truth, I've very few distinct memories of the game. For instance, Alex Cropley broke his leg that day (hence why Joe came on), but I can't remember that at all. Hibs scored very early and I (along with what seemed half of Leith) missed the first goal.

Years later, I met Joe in person when he did the match-day hospitality at ER. I wanted to ask him about that game but the conversation at the table was always heading somewhere else. He was a wonderful man. Modest, even humble, with time and patience for everyone. My brother asked him if he was envious of the kind of wages players made at the time compared to the paltry sums he earned. He swatted aside the money aspect -- didn't care -- but he confessed a tinge of jealousy that hardly any of his games were filmed and virtually every game was televised nowadays. He would love to have been able to watch the old games he played in -- me, you and every one else, Joe.

He seemed fit, healthy and full of life, and much younger than his years. So it was a terrible shock when I read what seemed not long after that he had passed away suddenly.

Hillsidehibby
04-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Saturday 16th January 1971 - Baker wore white boots! That 2-1 win ended The Dons 15-game unbeaten run. Stanton scored the first with a thumping shot across Bobby Clark's goal.

Baker arrived at ER late in the season but still finished top scorer, according to my Hibernian Greats book by Stewart Brown , late Evening News football man.

These were the days of the cowshed and there was much mayhem to be enjoyed!

Wasn't there just! :greengrin

southsider
04-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Crops leg was broken by a certain Alex Ferguson. Animal.

Ardenttwo
04-02-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks so much for posting this - fantastic. I'm emotional just reading it.

My dad saw plenty of The Famous Five and Joe in his heyday too. I suspect he gave The Baker Boy the edge over any other player as the greatest of all time. The fact he was playing for England when the likes of Greavsie was there, scoring goals in Italy and for Arsenal, is testament to his world class status.

I was already a 12 year old fanatic when he returned that day against Aberdeen with the white boots on. Very memorable day with him and Stanton scoring to give us a victory.

His love for Hibs displayed at the HOH rally still overwhelms me. Met him at a few Hibs nights - one where he auctioned off some of his own memorabilia to fund past Hibs players poor pension incomes. What an absolute genuine legend.

We should also never forget his brother Gerry. I once saw him score of the underside of the bar from 40 yards yes 40 yards at Pittodrie

ancient hibee
04-02-2017, 12:07 PM
They played together in Reilly's last game for Hibs. Reilly wore number seven and played wide right. He scored a great goal in a 3-1 over Rangers despite being kicked off the park by Telfer Was the week before the 1958 Cup final, only Scottish cup final I ever saw Hibs live. That was back in the days when we couldn't win it!
You're memory is playing tricks I'm afraid.Joe stood down for the match.As you say Reilly scored a cracker,Andy Aitken got the other two.There was talk of Lawrie replacing John Fraser for the final but he was unfit(a diplomatic cold I think).Lawrie and Joe had played together a couple of times that season but it didn't really work.Reilly of course played in a much better team than Baker.When Bobby Johnstone came back ,more than slightly overweight,the first game was against Kilmarnock.Practically from the kick off Bobby got the ball in the centre circle beat two men and floated a forty yard pass right to Baker's feet-he was so astonished he fell over the ball.Baker scored lots of goals chasing lost causes.Even from goalie kicks outs the roar would go up if it went anywhere near Joe.Reilly of course was one of the fiercest competitors I've ever seen,never beaten and nobody took liberties with him.Joe could also look after himself.In a reserve game at Tynecastle he kicked Jimmy Milne,a really tough centre half,in the face when he slid in two footed,no foul in those days of course!He also put Bobby Shearer of Rangers into the enclosure at Easter Road.Reilly was never the same player after his pleurisy and had a nagging knee injury which reduced his pace.We were really fortunate that as one great player retired another great player took his place.

Seveno
04-02-2017, 12:10 PM
My dad told me lots about seeing Joe and I was lucky enough to see him when he returned to Hibs. I could hardly believe what I saw, a class miles apart from every other player on the park. It made me wish that I could have seen him at the height of his career.

I met met him a couple of times in his later years. He was always happy to talk and such a humble man when you thing of what he achieved.

Fanforlife
04-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Only seen the Baker boy on his return, still had most of it, always remember my Dad telling me when I was a young pup that Reilly was a great player in a great team but Baker was a great player in a poor team comparatively so his vote always went to the Baker Boy.

Lago
04-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Just read his Wiki page, jeez the guy could score goals 137 games for Hibs and 114 goals his career is 507 games 301 goals.

I remember my dad telling me how good he was and I remember him in 71-72 season and like Best it was at he end of his career.

He was terrific, just terrific. Your dad was spot on.

sleeping giant
04-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Great thread. Cheers.

thebakerboy
04-02-2017, 10:15 PM
As you can see from my username/avater I was a great Bakerboy fan. I have many memories of his goalscoring etc but my favourite memory is of going to games with my mate George who sold the macaroons etc from the tray round his neck from the track round the pitch. After the games he would come out with the players(no player lounges etc in those days) and I always waited for him so got to meet the players and Joe would always speak to us. One day after a game which had been after an away game in Europe (i think it was at Roma) Joe came out and told us he had something for us and gave us a Roma lapel badge each , not a lot but it meant everything to us because he thought about us when he was away.He did this a couple of times but cant remember which clubs. Some guy Joe Baker my football hero for ever.

hibby6270
04-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Was too young to see him first time round but will always remember his 'comeback' game against Aberdeen. Scored the goal that beat Aberdeen goalie Bobby Clark's shut out recordable the time. Went onto score many more.

Let's hope we see the return of Leigh one day to do the same.:agree::aok: