PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone supporters bus shot at on Wednesday night.

silverhibee
03-02-2017, 10:17 PM
'BULLET JUST MISSED MY HEAD' Bus driver tells of terrifying moment coach full of St Johnstone fans was SHOT at in Glasgow
Stewart Sharp's vehicle was targeted after leaving Firhill park following The Saints’ 1-0 win over Partick Thistle on Wednesday night
PICTURED
BY ROBERT COLLINS 3rd February 2017, 10:09 am

A COACH driver has told of the terrifying moment his vehicle full of football fans was SHOT at in Glasgow.

Stewart Sharp, 38, was driving a St Johnstone supporters bus away from Firhill Stadium when a bullet smashed through a window, just a few inches from his head.

The incident happened after The Saints’ 1-0 win over Partick Thistle on Wednesday night.

Stewart, from Perth, said: “I was driving at five or 10 miles an hour when I heard a loud bang.

“I wasn’t sure what had happened so I stopped to make sure everybody was okay.

“I thought it was a stone but when I had a look I realised it was an air rifle or worse.

“It had gone through the window behind my head and struck a pillar.

“If it had happened a few seconds earlier it would have hit me at neck height. I could have been seriously injured.

“When I saw how close it was I was shaken and then quite angry.”

Cops are currently reviewing CCTV footage in an effort to identify the culprits and it is yet to be established what kind of weapon caused the damage.

Stewart also revealed police had earlier warned him to be alert as there had been problems with other supporters buses.

Jim Docherty, senior partner of Docherty’s Midland Coaches of Auchterarder whose vehicle was the target, said the incident should be highlighted.

His company has operated the official St Johnstone team coach for 26 years.

F***ing mental. Here is the link if folk want to judge for themselves if this was a bullet or a pellet gun.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/530392/bus-driver-tells-of-terrifying-moment-coach-full-of-st-johnstone-fans-was-shot-at-in-glasgow/

snooky
03-02-2017, 10:53 PM
'BULLET JUST MISSED MY HEAD' Bus driver tells of terrifying moment coach full of St Johnstone fans was SHOT at in Glasgow
Stewart Sharp's vehicle was targeted after leaving Firhill park following The Saints’ 1-0 win over Partick Thistle on Wednesday night
PICTURED
BY ROBERT COLLINS 3rd February 2017, 10:09 am

A COACH driver has told of the terrifying moment his vehicle full of football fans was SHOT at in Glasgow.

Stewart Sharp, 38, was driving a St Johnstone supporters bus away from Firhill Stadium when a bullet smashed through a window, just a few inches from his head.

The incident happened after The Saints’ 1-0 win over Partick Thistle on Wednesday night.

Stewart, from Perth, said: “I was driving at five or 10 miles an hour when I heard a loud bang.

“I wasn’t sure what had happened so I stopped to make sure everybody was okay.

“I thought it was a stone but when I had a look I realised it was an air rifle or worse.

“It had gone through the window behind my head and struck a pillar.

“If it had happened a few seconds earlier it would have hit me at neck height. I could have been seriously injured.

“When I saw how close it was I was shaken and then quite angry.”

Cops are currently reviewing CCTV footage in an effort to identify the culprits and it is yet to be established what kind of weapon caused the damage.

Stewart also revealed police had earlier warned him to be alert as there had been problems with other supporters buses.

Jim Docherty, senior partner of Docherty’s Midland Coaches of Auchterarder whose vehicle was the target, said the incident should be highlighted.

His company has operated the official St Johnstone team coach for 26 years.

F***ing mental. Here is the link if folk want to judge for themselves if this was a bullet or a pellet gun.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/530392/bus-driver-tells-of-terrifying-moment-coach-full-of-st-johnstone-fans-was-shot-at-in-glasgow/

Does it really matter if it was a bullet or a pellet gun?
It's like asking if it was skean dhu or a bayonet.Either way the result could be lethal.
Why is this not on the main news headlines?

silverhibee
03-02-2017, 11:08 PM
Does it really matter if it was a bullet or a pellet gun?
It's like asking if it was skean dhu or a bayonet.Either way the result could be lethal.
Why is this not on the main news headlines?

I had never heard anything about it, went for a haircut today and had a wee look at Sun newspaper and i seen that story, 1st thought was surely this would have made the Scottish news headlines at tea time, not seen or heard nothing about it, and by reading it it doesn't sound like Scottish Police are to fussed about it, should have been made a crime scene straight away by the police, " i heard a loud bang" should have had the police closing the street down.

NAE NOOKIE
04-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Not a ballistics expert ( though I did own an air rifle in my teens ) but if you ask me that's some size of a hole for an air rifle pellet. If whatever came through the window was big and fast enough to make that hole the driver could easily have been killed by it. This should be an attempted murder enquiry.

HoboHarry
04-02-2017, 02:02 AM
Not a ballistics expert ( though I did own an air rifle in my teens ) but if you ask me that's some size of a hole for an air rifle pellet. If whatever came through the window was big and fast enough to make that hole the driver could easily have been killed by it. This should be an attempted murder enquiry.
I'm not a ballistics expert either but I do live in the USA and I do own a 9mm pistol and the hole looks to be about the size that 9mm ammunition would leave in a target......

Pete
04-02-2017, 02:09 AM
I'm no ballistics expert but it looks like that hole was made by a Nerf gun.

Phil MaGlass
04-02-2017, 04:51 AM
To be that accurate, if it was aimed at head height and a moving target, you would have to fire a 9mm at close range and would be seen. Unless of course youre an expert shot.

GreenLake
04-02-2017, 04:53 AM
I'm not a ballistics expert either but I do live in the USA and I do own a 9mm pistol and the hole looks to be about the size that 9mm ammunition would leave in a target......

I am pleading the 5th.

macca70
04-02-2017, 05:19 AM
If this was after a Hibs game, the way we get treated for the slightest wrong doing, there would be a full scale police investigation with the story on every news channel/paper.

It's probably unlikely to be Patrick fans, just local neds.

The fact the Police had warned the driver as there had been previous incidents!! Maybe Police Scotland need to wind down the pitch invasion investigation and start to channel there efforts into ensuring the safety of supporters buses in Glasgow, buses getting hit with missiles/attacked in Glasgow has been happening for years with very little being done about it.

IWasThere2016
04-02-2017, 05:35 AM
Glasgow truly is the @rzehole of the World.

Truly loath the place and post 21 May have vowed never to return.

Jones28
04-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Unless it's got an illegal spring in it that ain't no air rifle!

hibs0666
04-02-2017, 07:54 AM

I think they'll have a day of mourning at that news.

-Jonesy-
04-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Could possibly be a ball bearing fired from
A slingshot?? Certainly still lethal AF mind.

Carheenlea
04-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Of all the places I've been to watch Hibs, Partick Thistle is the only place I've not really felt that comfortable in the streets on my own.

-Jonesy-
04-02-2017, 10:04 AM
Of all the places I've been to watch Hibs, Partick Thistle is the only place I've not really felt that comfortable in the streets on my own.

I lived in Glasgow for almost 5 years. In that time, as a rather poor working chef, I would regularly walk home from the city centre after midnight. I lived first on Maryhill road right beside Patrick stadium, secondly in the east end ten minutes from parkhead and thirdly right on Copeland road a stones throw from castle greyskull. Regularly took the underground on Rangers match days also. In those 5 years I wasn't assaulted, threatened, spat at or so much as given a sideways glance once. I found most glaswegians to be helpful friendly people as well as a city that knows how to have a good time far better than Edinburgh.
Obviously the attack on the bus is out of order but a violent dangerous city or the "********" of the world is definately is not.

Big_Franck
04-02-2017, 10:11 AM
I lived in Glasgow for almost 5 years. In that time, as a rather poor working chef, I would regularly walk home from the city centre after midnight. I lived first on Maryhill road right beside Patrick stadium, secondly in the east end ten minutes from parkhead and thirdly right on Copeland road a stones throw from castle greyskull. Regularly took the underground on Rangers match days also. In those 5 years I wasn't assaulted, threatened, spat at or so much as given a sideways glance once. I found most glaswegians to be helpful friendly people as well as a city that knows how to have a good time far better than Edinburgh.
Obviously the attack on the bus is out of order but a violent dangerous city or the "********" of the world is definately is not.

The statistics on violent attacks and murders in glasgow compared to Edinburgh would paint a very different picture from the one you are trying to paint. It's a west coast toilet that I only visit when Hibs are playing.

Glad nobody on the Saints bus was injured.

-Jonesy-
04-02-2017, 10:18 AM
The statistics on violent attacks and murders in glasgow compared to Edinburgh would paint a very different picture from the one you are trying to paint. It's a west coast toilet that I only visit when Hibs are playing.

Glad nobody on the Saints bus was injured.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14194780.Glasgow_loses_violent_crime_capital_tag/

Is that right aye??? Victims of violent crime 30 in 10,000 for both Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Edit : apologies for my inability to hyperlink properly

Betty Boop
04-02-2017, 10:22 AM

:top marks A whole load of moral panic going on here.

NAE NOOKIE
04-02-2017, 10:27 AM

After an unfortunate incident :greengrin in Paisley one Saturday afternoon me and my mate found ourselves having to walk home in the evening with no money and no idea where we were going ..... the people we encountered couldn't have been more helpful, one guy gave us bus fare to the outskirts of the city when he heard of our plight and a night watchman at a factory on the approach to the M8 gave us a cup of tea.

I had a Weegie boss at work who I became good friends with and he was without a doubt one of the nicest, funniest ( I'm talking Billy Connolly funny ) and most generous people I will ever meet, he was killed in a car crash many years ago God rest him and I'm getting a tear in my eye now remembering him .... It only seems that for some reason when you put them in big groups they seem to change for the worse.

Scott Allan Key
04-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Have to agree on this too. Having lived in Glasgow too, loved the place. Any trouble I had was mostly self-inflicted or very minor, mild threat. I also lived on Panmure St, near Firhill Stadium between Maryhill and Possilpark and didn't encounter any trouble round there.

Not a good idea to parade a new mountain bike around unknown housing estates anywhere in Scotland I'd figure which I did in Maryhill and was chased by what was laughably like a Anthill Mob of pre-teenage boys.

Not to belittle the event, but what crime there is in Glasgow and those neds who commit it are held in same contempt we would have of them if committed in our backyard.

Another thing is in Edinburgh, despite evidence to the contrary, the media/establishment like to pretend these problems don't happen here and is downplayed in favour of stories of outrageous parking charges. It explains while-collar crime corruption in council or at certain football clubs being met with the response we all know about.

tamig
04-02-2017, 10:50 AM
I like going to Firhill but I remember a mid-week game years ago when a big group of neds bricked a couple of buses after the game.

The driver mentions the police told him to be aware because there had been previous bother. What kind of bother? Does the public not have the right to know?

SChibs
04-02-2017, 10:58 AM
To be that accurate, if it was aimed at head height and a moving target, you would have to fire a 9mm at close range and would be seen. Unless of course youre an expert shot.

Or lucky

DH1875
04-02-2017, 10:58 AM
I remember about 20-25 years ago the Thistle fans attacking 2 Hibs buses that were stopped at traffic lights after the game. They were tooled up with baseball bats and stuff and done all the windows in on the buses. Cops were called that day and it definitely made the news papers. Anyone else remember this?

tamig
04-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I remember about 20-25 years ago the Thistle fans attacking 2 Hibs buses that were stopped at traffic lights after the game. They were tooled up with baseball bats and stuff and done all the windows in on the buses. Cops were called that day and it definitely made the news papers. Anyone else remember this?
I mentioned an incident above. I would doubt it was Thistle fans though to be fair. Local neds more like.

Hillsidehibby
04-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Glasgow is a great place.

There. I said it.

jacomo
04-02-2017, 01:14 PM

One less Hibby in the ticket queue for the Hampden fixture then.

Cheers, much appreciated.

BigT-Hibeez
04-02-2017, 01:28 PM

I stayed in Glasgow for a few years and was hospitalised walking home from work one night (Maryhill Road), 3 wee neds and a paving slab on my head later..

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 01:39 PM
I like going to Firhill but I remember a mid-week game years ago when a big group of neds bricked a couple of buses after the game.

The driver mentions the police told him to be aware because there had been previous bother. What kind of bother? Does the public not have the right to know?

Why does the public have a right to know everything about everything? These kind of things have gone on for decades. It's only now we are conditioned to act outraged at the slightest thing. Attempted murder has been mentioned on here. Have a word guys.

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 01:40 PM
I mentioned an incident above. I would doubt it was Thistle fans though to be fair. Local neds more like.

Why wouldn't it be thistle fans?

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 01:43 PM
After an unfortunate incident :greengrin in Paisley one Saturday afternoon me and my mate found ourselves having to walk home in the evening with no money and no idea where we were going ..... the people we encountered couldn't have been more helpful, one guy gave us bus fare to the outskirts of the city when he heard of our plight and a night watchman at a factory on the approach to the M8 gave us a cup of tea.

I had a Weegie boss at work who I became good friends with and he was without a doubt one of the nicest, funniest ( I'm talking Billy Connolly funny ) and most generous people I will ever meet, he was killed in a car crash many years ago God rest him and I'm getting a tear in my eye now remembering him .... It only seems that for some reason when you put them in big groups they seem to change for the worse.

That's not at all sweeping generalisation. Leith is as rough as most places in Glasgow, I think we need to remember that.

Betty Boop
04-02-2017, 01:53 PM
That's not at all sweeping generalisation. Leith is as rough as most places in Glasgow, I think we need to remember that.
This. Take a walk through the Kirkgate.

Jim44
04-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Why does the public have a right to know everything about everything? These kind of things have gone on for decades. It's only now we are conditioned to act outraged at the slightest thing. Attempted murder has been mentioned on here. Have a word guys.

I must have led a sheltered life but I don't remember a gun being fired at a supporters' bus or any other type of bus for that matter? I wouldn't describe this sort of incident as 'slight'. I also wouldn't care to differentiate between the relative merits of Glasgow and Edinburgh but I would expect this offence to be treated as a major incident.

HoboHarry
04-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Lol-it's you that needs to have a word - if there is a safety issue then the public have a right to know. And attempted murder is appropriate in this instance if indeed it was a projectile that hit the windscreen like that.....

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Lol-it's you that needs to have a word - if there is a safety issue then the public have a right to know. And attempted murder is appropriate in this instance if indeed it was a projectile that hit the windscreen like that.....

Why do we need to know after the event. We weren't playing I. Glasgow so what does it have to do with us? It's like people who write the BBC to complain about a TV programme after reading about it in the paper? OK an incident happened but it's got **** all to do with you or I so why worry and act all outraged.

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 02:28 PM
I must have led a sheltered life but I don't remember a gun being fired at a supporters' bus or any other type of bus for that matter? I wouldn't describe this sort of incident as 'slight'. I also wouldn't care to differentiate between the relative merits of Glasgow and Edinburgh but I would expect this offence to be treated as a major incident.

When we were young we used to do things like this. Throw things at people and windows of buses. Yeah it's not clever and I look back embarrassed, but the reason you didn't hear about it was facebook/Twitter etc didn't exist. If you think this type of behaviour is a modern phenomenon then you indeed have lived a sheltered life.

Big_Franck
04-02-2017, 02:32 PM
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14194780.Glasgow_loses_violent_crime_capital_tag/

Is that right aye??? Victims of violent crime 30 in 10,000 for both Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Edit : apologies for my inability to hyperlink properly

That is right, aye. You seriously using an article in a weegie tabloid rag as some kind of proof?

Scottish Government stats show that murder rates in Glasgow are still far, far higher than the Scottish average. The most recent government set of statistics available here (http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0048/00486224.pdf) show on page 6 that the weej accounts for 24% of murders in Scotland which is more than double it's share of the population of 11%.

Also, domestic abuse is much more common in Glasgow than in Edinburgh. Scottish Government stats for 14-15 (the most recent ones they've published) show there were 5730 incidents of domestic abuse in Edinburgh and 8974 in the weej. That's taken from the 'table 2' tab at the bottom of the government data available here (http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/10/8859/downloads).

Jim44
04-02-2017, 02:51 PM
When we were young we used to do things like this. Throw things at people and windows of buses. Yeah it's not clever and I look back embarrassed, but the reason you didn't hear about it was facebook/Twitter etc didn't exist. If you think this type of behaviour is a modern phenomenon then you indeed have lived a sheltered life.

I've sat on supporters' buses when things have been thrown but, for God's sake man, we're talking about firing a weapon at the bus, Or maybe that, by your own admission, is the sort of things you got up to. I would hope not.

HoboHarry
04-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Why do we need to know after the event. We weren't playing I. Glasgow so what does it have to do with us? It's like people who write the BBC to complain about a TV programme after reading about it in the paper? OK an incident happened but it's got **** all to do with you or I so why worry and act all outraged.
A great deal of what you read or hear about on the news is after the fact - seriously, how much have you drunk today because you are talking nonsense.....

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 04:03 PM
I've sat on supporters' buses when things have been thrown but, for God's sake man, we're talking about firing a weapon at the bus, Or maybe that, by your own admission, is the sort of things you got up to. I would hope not.

Iv never fired a gun at a bus.

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 04:06 PM
A great deal of what you read or hear about on the news is after the fact - seriously, how much have you drunk today because you are talking nonsense.....

Im just fed up with people looking for stuff to go mental about. It happened, nobody was hurt, so let's not turn it into something it's not. Talk of attempted murder etc is way ott imo.

Jim44
04-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Iv never fired a gun at a bus.

I never said you did. You are the one who said you got up to that sort of thing when you were a kid. You are trivialising firing a gun at a bus and adding insult to injury by saying, what has it got to do with us.:rolleyes:

tamig
04-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Im just fed up with people looking for stuff to go mental about. It happened, nobody was hurt, so let's not turn it into something it's not. Talk of attempted murder etc is way ott imo.

I'll answer you on one thing. I see you're having a decent debate with another poster.

The reason I mentioned about the public knowing was due to the fact the article mentioning the driver being warned by the polis about previous bother. Folk travelling to games might be influenced by things like that - might stop them taking kids, location of parking etc. Didn't imply people need to know everything. I think you've been a bit hasty with some of your interpretation.

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 05:40 PM
I'll answer you on one thing. I see you're having a decent debate with another poster.

The reason I mentioned about the public knowing was due to the fact the article mentioning the driver being warned by the polis about previous bother. Folk travelling to games might be influenced by things like that - might stop them taking kids, location of parking etc. Didn't imply people need to know everything. I think you've been a bit hasty with some of your interpretation.

Fair dos mate, I see your point.

beensaidbefore
04-02-2017, 05:46 PM
I never said you did. You are the one who said you got up to that sort of thing when you were a kid. You are trivialising firing a gun at a bus and adding insult to injury by saying, what has it got to do with us.:rolleyes:

I meant mischief, throwing eggs, snowballs, knocking on windows etc etc etc, iv been there when windows have been broken and other stuff which looking back was vandalism, but none of that was done with intent to harm people. I imagine it will be some young teenagers mucking about, being egged on by their mates. Not some lunatic gunman. Perhaps I'm wrong but why do folk seem to look for the worst case scenario Ll the time?

Mr White
04-02-2017, 05:52 PM
I meant mischief, throwing eggs, snowballs, knocking on windows etc etc etc, iv been there when windows have been broken and other stuff which looking back was vandalism, but none of that was done with intent to harm people. I imagine it will be some young teenagers mucking about, being egged on by their mates. Not some lunatic gunman. Perhaps I'm wrong but why do folk seem to look for the worst case scenario Ll the time?

Did you see the picture of the bus window? If whatever made that hole in the glass had hit someone in the head they'd have been in trouble.

This incident is not comparable to chucking eggs or even bricks. Even if it was kids there looks to have been a risk to life in this imo.

emerald green
04-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Glasgow didn't get called "No Mean City" for no reason.

It's still rife with bigotry as well. I'm glad I don't live there.

cleanyman
04-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Here we go again...

Anything to stick the boot in to the finest city in Scotland.

#alwaysinourshadow

tamig
04-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Here we go again...

Anything to stick the boot in to the finest city in Scotland.

#alwaysinourshadow

I think there's only been a few anti-Glasgow comments to be fair. The majority of comments are in relation to the incident.

cleanyman
04-02-2017, 07:35 PM
I think there's only been a few anti-Glasgow comments to be fair. The majority of comments are in relation to the incident.

Hold....

tamig
04-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Hold....

Why not have a go at the individuals who've made the offending comments directly then rather than hijacking the thread which is about a supporters bus being shot at? I don't think there's any need for the comments and have a lot of affection for the city.

BullsCloseHibs
04-02-2017, 08:05 PM
If this was after a Hibs game, the way we get treated for the slightest wrong doing, there would be a full scale police investigation with the story on every news channel/paper.

It's probably unlikely to be Patrick fans, just local neds.

The fact the Police had warned the driver as there had been previous incidents!! Maybe Police Scotland need to wind down the pitch invasion investigation and start to channel there efforts into ensuring the safety of supporters buses in Glasgow, buses getting hit with missiles/attacked in Glasgow has been happening for years with very little being done about it.

Firhill is mainly full of Billiam of Worange punters.