PDA

View Full Version : NHC Yellow card = sin bin

Lago
03-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Following a trial where players were sin binned if given a yellow card, it is to be further introduced at amateur & youth level games. May eventually make it to top level football.
Good or bad idea. For me, being of the older generation dont like the idea but others may.

Northernhibee
03-02-2017, 01:59 PM
****ing dreadful artificial bull**** idea invented by morons wanting to justify their obscene wage by trying to fix what isn't broken.

lugz
03-02-2017, 02:32 PM
I've always thought that cynical fouls needed some sort of sin bin as a yellow doesn't seem enough.

Nothing drives me more crazy that when you have a good counter attack going and someone gets pulled back or chopped down on purpose.

Haymaker
03-02-2017, 02:34 PM
****ing dreadful artificial bull**** idea invented by morons wanting to justify their obscene wage by trying to fix what isn't broken.

:agree:

hibbytam
03-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Following a trial where players were sin binned if given a yellow card, it is to be further introduced at amateur & youth level games. May eventually make it to top level football.
Good or bad idea. For me, being of the older generation dont like the idea but others may.

I think alot depends on what earns a sin bin punishment. It'd be stupid if everything that's currently a yellow results in a sin bin. Something like running into the crowd after a winning goal in the last minute of a scottish cup final.
It could be good for some of the more synical yellows that we particularly get against us. where some hatchet nothing player takes out a player who's just skinned him, and the only punishment he faces is 'don't do that again'.

By the same regard it could countrer some of the more idiotic/softer red cards, a 10 minute sit down would probably be an ample punishement.

Basically I think it might work if it's implemented well. But it probably wont be.

PeeKay
03-02-2017, 02:41 PM
I've always thought that cynical fouls needed some sort of sin bin as a yellow doesn't seem enough.

Nothing drives me more crazy that when you have a good counter attack going and someone gets pulled back or chopped down on purpose.

Not saying that I support the concept, but in this example from lugz it is the team that is offended against that would get some advantage. Under the current totting-up scheme, it is some other team that gets the advantage at later date.

Jim44
03-02-2017, 02:42 PM

The good old 'professional foul'. That terminology almost makes it sound like an admirable action. I would throw the book at them for it. :cb

Bishop Hibee
03-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Stupid. If there has to be a sin-bin, it should be for an offence like bringing a player down when you are the last man or similar. Look at the number of times two players or more are booked in the one incident.

I'm not against change e.g. going straight to pens or re-introducing the golden goal but this is daft.

Hibs Class
03-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Done right, I think it could be a decent idea. Don't think it should be applied to all yellow card offences but could be appropriate for some. Don't think I'd like to see it extended as a replacement to red cards, i.e. those for second bookings.

livi hibs 1875
03-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Could work 1st yellow same as now, 2nd yellow 10 min sin bin, if after coming back on get a third yellow = red, and red stays the same as it is now , sounds easy to me

High-On-Hibs
03-02-2017, 03:36 PM
The sin bin idea would be a good idea if the game wasn't so soft these days. If they introduced such a system, then they would need to drastically alter the rules on what consistutes as a foul or not. Players are always happy to take a yellow for their team if it prevents a break away from the opposition. I think these kind of situations should result in some kind of sin bin. Because the yellow card does nothing for the team that has just been cynically stopped in their tracks as a result of the foul.

High-On-Hibs
03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Could work 1st yellow same as now, 2nd yellow 10 min sin bin, if after coming back on get a third yellow = red, and red stays the same as it is now , sounds easy to me

Or they could extend the number of games that a red card keeps a player out.

hibsbollah
03-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Depends how it's applied. If a goalscorer runs to his own fans to celebrate these days he gets a yellow. Especially if he's not a The Rangers player. Are we really wanting a team penalised by a sin binning for that?

The Green Goblin
03-02-2017, 03:54 PM
Pointless unless it is determined by video replay, like in rugby. How many totally ridiculous yellow cards do you see handed out in games? And how many that should be given, are not given? This will cause chaos, unless they also introduce a way to verify the decision.

But I think northernhibee got it just about right. :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
03-02-2017, 04:04 PM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?318315-Sin-bins-may-be-introduced-for-football-as-soon-as-next-month&p=4928588#post4928588

shetlandhibee
03-02-2017, 04:16 PM
:top marks
Pointless unless it is determined by video replay, like in rugby. How many totally ridiculous yellow cards do you see handed out in games? And how many that should be given, are not given? This will cause chaos, unless they also introduce a way to verify the decision.

But I think northernhibee got it just about right. :greengrin
exactly what i was going to write,defo have to be video replays or it would be a shambles!!there for ime OUT:greengrin

Keith_M
03-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Any player punishment will only ever work if the Referees actually give the right decision.

Players dive practically every game and nearly always get no punishment. I can't see how having a sin bin is going to change that.

Lancs Harp
03-02-2017, 05:32 PM
Player melees might be interesting. Several players sin binned and we get 5/10 minutes (or whatever it is they are proposing) of 8 or 9 side.

:greengrin

emerald green
03-02-2017, 05:39 PM
If applied correctly, this would go against teams of hammer throwers, whilst at the same time favouring teams that go out to try to play football without getting kicked off the park.

hibbysam
03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
What a ludicrous idea. If the referee applies the laws correctly then they do not need changed. Professional fouls are part of the game and the punishment for that is a yellow card and walking a tightrope for the rest of the game. Giving a team a man advantage because you were chasing someone back and your legs tangled when the counter attack was on would be absolutely scandalous and we would be as well shutting the doors and watching rugby.

Just Jimmy
03-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Or they could just make the game reviewable by video so the ref doesn't make **** decisions and cut all the other pish ideas out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lago
03-02-2017, 09:38 PM
If applied correctly, this would go against teams of hammer throwers, whilst at the same time favouring teams that go out to try to play football without getting kicked off the park.

If applied correctly, thats the rub, it will come back to referee consistency & we all know the problems that causes, Collum would have to abandon the game:greengrin

StevieT
03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
I referee at grass roots level. Can anyone explain to me how a one man team (referee) is meant to be able to control the sin bin area / time? This may work in the professional game but can't see how it could possible work lower down. Even in the Championship there are no fourth officials so the referee and assistants would need to manage this as well.

IMO this is just another stupid idea to make change for change sake.