PDA

View Full Version : Sin bins may be introduced for football as soon as next month

Hibbyradge
01-02-2017, 02:36 PM
The finer details being proposed aren't known, but I hope this is trialled.

In my opinion, the prospect of spending 10 minutes off the pitch immediately and putting your team into jeopardy, would be a far bigger deterrent than the current yellow card system.

At the moment, unless followed up by a second card, "taking one for the team", although it's actually cheating, is expected and applauded. The cost, if any, is only felt some weeks/months down the line, and the player is always replaced.

I think this could be a potent weapon against diving, and it would be particularly effective in International football, where yellow cards are almost meaningless.

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

snooky
01-02-2017, 02:38 PM
The finer details being proposed aren't known, but I hope this is trialled.

In my opinion, the prospect of spending 10 minutes off the pitch immediately and putting your team into jeopardy, would be a far bigger deterrent than the current yellow card system.

At the moment, unless followed up by a second card, "taking one for the team", although it's actually cheating, is expected and applauded. The cost, if any, is only felt some weeks/months down the line, and the player is always replaced.

I think this could be a potent weapon against diving, and it would be particularly effective in International football, where yellow cards are almost meaningless.

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

On the down side, Craig Thomson and his likes have another yet tool to cheat with.

iwasthere1972
01-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Players would have to go back to the time when just a handshake or a pat on the back after sćoring a goal was the norm. Getting sin binned for whipping off your top or celebrating with the fans would be a no no.

Unseen work
01-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Personally wouldn't like it, keep the yellow card policy imo.

The_Exile
01-02-2017, 02:44 PM
I've always wanted to see something like this as yellow cards are almost meaningless. The 10 minutes off the park and temporary handicapping of your team and team mates should be a tangible deterrent to the football player who possesses a modicum of common sense between his ears.

On a somewhat related note, I'd really like rolling subs to be brought in and 10 players on the bench, I think it would benefit the more tactically astute managers out there and that is something which should be encouraged, would keep players fresher for longer and could possibly look at playing more games every season by entering the cup competitions at the first round, more revenue.

Fitba really needs to start looking at ways in which to enhance the game and stop living in the past, at least with certain aspects of the game.

iwasthere1972
01-02-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm actually all for it. Take the times when our players have been continually hacked and the opposition get a yellow card. Doesn't benefit us at all unless there is a second yellow card and a sending off.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Players would have to go back to the time when just a handshake or a pat on the back after sćoring a goal was the norm. Getting sin binned for whipping off your top or celebrating with the fans would be a no no.

I'd happily do without either, if diving was reduced, but there are loads of brilliant ways to celebrate a goal without breaking the rules.

The_Exile
01-02-2017, 02:45 PM

I would imagine a booking for celebrating wouldn't get you sin binned, professional fouls only I would assume?

Hibbyradge
01-02-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm actually all for it. Take the times when our players have been continually hacked and the opposition get a yellow card. Doesn't benefit us at all unless there is a second yellow card and a sending off.

Exactly. Players used to take it in turns to foul skillful players and they'd share the yellow cards around.

If your team mate is already in the sin bin for bringing down, say Chris Humpries or SJM, you're going to think twice about doing it again and putting your team down to 9 men.

The_Exile
01-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Exactly. Players used to take it in turns to foul skillful players and they'd share the yellow cards around.

If your team mate is already in the sin bin for bringing down, say Chris Humpries or SJM, you're going to think twice about doing it again and putting your team down to 9 men.

same line of thinking with the red card, I'd personally prefer the player to serve his ban against the same opposition. For example, a hertz bassa commits a red card offence on one of our players, the ban is suspended until the next time they play us. It's not right that the team next on the fixture list benefits from the red carded players absence.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2017, 02:54 PM
same line of thinking with the red card, I'd personally prefer the player to serve his ban against the same opposition. For example, a hertz bassa commits a red card offence on one of our players, the ban is suspended until the next time they play us. It's not right that the team next on the fixture list benefits from the red carded players absence.

Nice idea. The snag would be if it was in the cup or if the player moved club.

ancient hibee
01-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Presumably yellow cards would still be totted up for a suspension otherwise refs could be busy in the last 90 seconds.

.Sean.
01-02-2017, 03:20 PM
I'm all for anything that will stop pussy players rolling around the floor and general time wasting, cheating and diving.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2017, 03:37 PM
Presumably yellow cards would still be totted up for a suspension otherwise refs could be busy in the last 90 seconds.

:thumbsup:

Fortunately, the players wouldn't be sure it was the last 10 seconds as the ref can add on as much as he wants.

You're right, though, there could be 10 seconds of mayhem every week.

That would bring back the crowds :hilarious

AgentDaleCooper
01-02-2017, 03:43 PM
a 5 minute penalty at most, i would have thought...ten minutes for celebrating with your fans is brutal.

Smartie
01-02-2017, 03:56 PM
I have mixed feelings.

On one hand I'd like to see the "sinned against" team get a tangible advantage at the time against the sinner.

On the other hand, I like the underhand nature of football. I like the idea of a good foul, taking one for the team, I like a cheeky wee dive from time to time.

More often than not we're on the receiving end of it these days but I look forward to us going to Glasgow again and using all sorts of underhand means to secure a result.

It's all part of the game.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-02-2017, 03:56 PM
On the down side, Craig Thomson and his likes have another yet tool to cheat with.

My thoughts

Viva_Palmeiras
01-02-2017, 03:58 PM

I always felt the punishment benefiting another team a bit odd...

J-C
01-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Great idea, works a treat in Rugby, stops all the so called professional fouls and players who continually foul till they get a yellow.

wookie70
01-02-2017, 04:35 PM
In rugby can an individual not be yellow carded because he committed an offence and the ref has noted a similar offence where other player were the offenders. That would work for Falkirk, Hearts and The Rangers where they basically share the fouls round the team. Almost like a team foul count in basketball.

Niffy
01-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Eeeee I dunno , in games with 5 or 6 yellow cards... waiting a few minutes for players to argue the case, then slowly trudge off the park ?
Could be a real flow killer.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Are we selling tickets for the Sin Bin yet? PM me.

Andy74
01-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Are there not generally more yellow card type offences in football - a lot of them are just unlucky or a bit mistimed. You could end up with multiple players off the pitch.

It would lead to some pretty unfair and controversial issues I'd suspect with teams losing players at critical times of games and refs having even more influence on the outcomes of games.

Diclonius
01-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Introduce the sin bin ONLY if the current rules re yellows are relaxed, i.e. the ridiculous overcelebration rule.

NYHibby
01-02-2017, 04:47 PM
This isn't new. I attended games in the 90s where this was used. I think the penalties were 5 minutes.

WeeRussell
01-02-2017, 04:51 PM
I'm all for anything that will stop pussy players rolling around the floor and general time wasting, cheating and diving.

I can't see that sin bins would stop players rolling around the floor? When do you ever see players booked for rolling about after they've been fouled.

even with diving.. it'll take changes in how games are refereed, rather than a change to the punishment to clamp down on this.

snooky
01-02-2017, 05:03 PM

This is a great point. How many times has a player been sent off and it actually is a disadvantage to the offended team as the player is then banned from the next game. This could well be their main rivals for promotion or relegation.
No fair!

Waxy
01-02-2017, 05:12 PM
No. Easier for the corrupt to achieve their goal.

01-02-2017, 05:21 PM
I have mixed feelings.

On one hand I'd like to see the "sinned against" team get a tangible advantage at the time against the sinner.

On the other hand, I like the underhand nature of football. I like the idea of a good foul, taking one for the team, I like a cheeky wee dive from time to time.

More often than not we're on the receiving end of it these days but I look forward to us going to Glasgow again and using all sorts of underhand means to secure a result.

It's all part of the game.

This.

A Hi-Bee
01-02-2017, 05:38 PM
No. Easier for the corrupt to achieve their goal.

This, wi the Ref's we have no thanks.

where'stheslope
01-02-2017, 05:47 PM
The only way the Sin Bin would work, is that the clock is stopped at every foul, throw in, injury and goal kick, there is more time wasted at these incidents that would make the 10 minutes about 3 minutes punishment!!!!

J-C
01-02-2017, 06:44 PM
You cannot use a sin bin for every yellow card in football, it'll turn into 8 a sides. We already have a sending off for serious foul play like reckless/nasty tackles or deliberate elbows etc, what would justify a sin bin offence?

portyhibernian
01-02-2017, 07:43 PM
Terrible idea in my opinion, just keep it the way it is and stop tinkering.

ancient hibee
01-02-2017, 07:49 PM
Are we selling tickets for the Sin Bin yet? PM me.

Not necessary.You're an Honorary Life Member.I believe it's all the rage.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Good idea in theory, but when you have some of the most incompetent refs as i believe we have, they games would end up a farce.

Eyrie
01-02-2017, 08:45 PM
You cannot use a sin bin for every yellow card in football, it'll turn into 8 a sides. We already have a sending off for serious foul play like reckless/nasty tackles or deliberate elbows etc, what would justify a sin bin offence?

The players would change their behaviour to avoid getting booked, particularly if their team is already a man down, so 8-a-side would be very unlikely given that each card would only last ten minutes of a ninety minute game.

I'm in favour.

adhibs
01-02-2017, 08:59 PM
Would be taking advantage of for all the wrong reasons by our refs. Hope this never materialises.