PDA

View Full Version : If we don't go up...

AL-Qaholik
31-01-2017, 11:08 PM
What a complete disaster this transfer window will have been.

Lennon himself said we were threadbare at the weekend and yet we bring nobody in. I'm not advocating signings for signings sake, but we are only an injury or two away from the bare bones.

Another run like pre-Xmas and we could be in a real dogfight with Utd.

Thankfully, though, Utd seem to have had a very poor window too.

Still think we'll go up, but hugely disappointed by our failure to bring in that extra bit of quality to really kick on in this transfer window.

One Day Soon
31-01-2017, 11:10 PM

Lennon himself said we were threadbare at the weekend and yet we bring nobody in. I'm not advocating signings for signings sake, but we are only an injury or two away from the bare bones.

Still think we'll go up, but hugely disappointed by our failure to bring in that extra bit of quirkily to really kick on in this transfer window.

You ok Tony?

AL-Qaholik
31-01-2017, 11:11 PM
You ok Tony?

You what? I assume that's some smart-arse reference I don't get...?

houstonhibbee
31-01-2017, 11:12 PM

Still think we'll go up, but hugely disappointed by our failure to bring in that extra bit of quality to really kick on in this transfer window.

If we cant get commons on loan maybe the secret plan is to get him on an emergency loan again if we have injuries

Stevie Reid
31-01-2017, 11:13 PM

Threadbare at the weekend?! We had McGeough, Boyle, Humphrey, Graham and Forster on the bench.

we are hibs
31-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Reeks of laziness from the club tbh.

clearly no plan B if stokes didn't work, if commons didn't work or if the centre half didn't work. Could prove to be a massive massive mistake tonight.

AL-Qaholik
Threadbare at the weekend?! We had McGeough, Boyle, Humphrey, Graham and Forster on the bench.

Lennon himself said it. Only 19 fit players in the squad.

calumhibee1

And when we played Dundee United everyone was thinking how strong our bench is. We can't afford to have a squad of 22 first team standard players. We already have about 18 players who you wouldn't bat an eyelid at any of them being in the starting 11. That's majorly impressive and nowhere near the bare bones. Points in the season we may be down to the bare bones, but every team goes through these stages. We can't sign stacks of players just to avoid being a wee bit short on the bench every so often.

hibs0666
31-01-2017, 11:15 PM

I got it. And I'm not telling.

Waxy
31-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Its ok

calumhibee1
31-01-2017, 11:17 PM

Yup. I know it was Lennon that said it and people have jumped on it today but we have a reasonable sized squad of very good quality. If for example we had signed Commons and Stokes today you'd be looking at us having a squad where when most people were fit two or three of Boyle, Keatings, Graham and Shinnie etc would maybe not even make the bench. Why do people think we need that many?

H18 SFR
31-01-2017, 11:17 PM
Time for the younger players (Allan etc) to play a part.

therealgavmac
31-01-2017, 11:18 PM
All this IMHO .....

but this and other threads with posters outlining the need for quality boosts to our squad is a little disrespectful, we have a quality squad, we sit 8 points clear at the top with a vastly superior goal difference..... we have a great manager who has, I believe, instilled a steel and "fear" of losing in our squad, and we will be promoted!

The window is now closed, and like a lot of folk referring to the the Indy Ref, the US elections, the Brexit vote...... time to stop whining like little bitches, accept it, and get on board.

Again, all IMHO...... Wee rant over

Glory Glory

calumhibee1
31-01-2017, 11:18 PM

Rangers never even named a full bench in the Scottish cup final last season and they absolutely skooshed the league. We're nowhere near the point where we don't have enough players to fill the bench. Not sure why people are panicking.

chrisski33
31-01-2017, 11:20 PM
JeeZo what a thread and a crxp one at that

EH6 Hibby
31-01-2017, 11:24 PM

Hiya Tony. Hiya Pal.

lord bunberry
I must say I'm surprised that we haven't signed anyone other than Humphrey. It's a gamble that if it backfires would lead to a lot of discontent amongst the fans. I personally think we have enough to win the league, but I thought we had enough to stay up in the window before we went down.
Theres still a chance we might add to the squad if there's any players been released at the end of the window.

BH Hibs
Dry your sheets mate. :greengrin

pacoluna
31-01-2017, 11:30 PM

You taking the p*ss lol

Lancs Harp
31-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Virtually fans of all clubs in Scotland (and England for that matter) are moaning tonight that their club hasnt done enough in this window. The truth is very few clubs do much in the January window and its a bit of a non event despite Skys best efforts. Hadnt noticed our rivals in the Championship doing very much unless Ive missed it. We are the best team in this division, as our current position shows, havent seen anything in the transfer window that has changed that viewpoint. Very much as you were for me.

adhibs
01-02-2017, 05:23 AM
Reeks of laziness from the club tbh.

clearly no plan B if stokes didn't work, if commons didn't work or if the centre half didn't work. Could prove to be a massive massive mistake tonight.

Nonsense. We clearly aimed high with signings, glad we never then took the hearts approach just to increase the numbers.

scott7_0(Prague)
01-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Deleted

calm down son.

nothing like a knee jerk reaction and lots of people making assumptions on the market that they have no idea about.

PeterboroHibee
01-02-2017, 05:35 AM

Yet Crane was the only player in the starting team/bench who probably wouldnt be considered a senior player. Its hardly an injury crisis when we can have Graham, Boyle, McGeough, Humphrey and Forster on the bench.

Im sure Lennon prefers big squads (I remember him doing so at Celtic), but we have more than enough depth and quality to win the league. It also appears that the club tried to do business but with players who would likely have improved us. Why sign players for the sake of it?

worcesterhibby
01-02-2017, 05:44 AM
It always amazes me that some Hibs "supporters" love jumping in at the first chance to criticise and undermine the club.

hibee
01-02-2017, 05:49 AM
We've got a decent squad already, no point signing someone who's not as good as what we already have just to say we've signed someone.

RIP
01-02-2017, 05:56 AM
It always amazes me that some Hibs "supporters" love jumping in at the first chance to criticise and undermine the club.

An odd statement if I might say so. Never understood how criticism of a salaried management team (Head of Football Operations,Head of Recruitment or whatever) is undermining our club.

If anything it's standing up for the club by challenging what the paid staff are delivering for their wages.

GloryGlory
01-02-2017, 05:59 AM

Agree with this. Players like Crane, Shaw, Martin, Porteous and others need to get working in training to catch the manager's eye. I'm sure a few of them will get a chance off the bench in the next few months, particularly if we maintain our lead or pull further ahead.

What's the point of us having a youth academy if players can't step up when required?

Pretty Boy
01-02-2017, 06:01 AM
We'll go up.

In saying that it's only 3 or 4 weeks since people were blaming our slump in form on 3 or 4 injuries. If that happened again have we addressed the issue?

Enough said
01-02-2017, 06:02 AM
What a stupid post . So much negativity , you wouldn't think we are top of the league sometimes.

Lago
01-02-2017, 06:05 AM
Well one things for sure, the ITKs didn't know.

GloryGlory
01-02-2017, 06:27 AM

:top marks

overdrive
01-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Agree with this. Players like Crane, Shaw, Martin, Porteous and others need to get working in training to catch the manager's eye. I'm sure a few of them will get a chance off the bench in the next few months, particularly if we maintain our lead or pull further ahead.

What's the point of us having a youth academy if players can't step up when required?

Shaw and Porteous won't. They are out on loan.

GloryGlory
01-02-2017, 06:29 AM
What a stupid post . So much negativity , you wouldn't think we are top of the league sometimes.

:agree: People are seeking to blame Hibs but the problems could just as easily have been other clubs being difficult to deal with (e.g. Celtic have previous for this, ISTR).

It's always been the case that it is much harder to get your transfer targets in the winter window than the summer window.

LustForLeith
01-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Rangers never even named a full bench in the Scottish cup final last season and they absolutely skooshed the league. We're nowhere near the point where we don't have enough players to fill the bench. Not sure why people are panicking.

Apparently didn't name a full bench for finanical reasons. :wink:

GloryGlory
01-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Shaw and Porteous won't. They are out on loan.

Fair enough, didn't know that.

SirDavidsNapper
01-02-2017, 06:40 AM
We are 8 points clear despite having had our midfield decimated through injurys and our main striker out of form and dropped. We have statistically the best defence in Europe and everyone bar Hanlon fit and Cummings knocking them in again. I'm not concerned about this transfer window in the slightest.

Wilson
01-02-2017, 06:41 AM
We will go up. No question. The players we have can take us up at a canter.

heretoday
01-02-2017, 06:46 AM
If we don't go up I will commit ritual "Harry Carey".

danhibees1875
01-02-2017, 06:50 AM
Apparently didn't name a full bench for finanical reasons. :wink:

They had high loser bonuses? :wink:

I think we've a strong squad. Would have been good to add to it obviously but I'm not concerned that we didn't. Let's just win the next 2 games and no one will remember this window happened.

col02
01-02-2017, 06:52 AM
If not signing players for the sake of it means Hibs can/will offer the likes of Fyvie and McGregor a new contract then I applaud the lack of transfer activity this window just past.

The Spaceman
01-02-2017, 06:55 AM
I am very comfortable with what we have. No other team in this league has nearly the same strength and depth of quality.

Would rather we didn't make signings for the sake of making signings. Besides, I'd rather we banked the money for some big signings in the summer once we go up.

Lee Marvin
01-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Assuming hanlon injury is not keeping him out that long (we definitely needed cover if he is) then I'm happy with squad.

We will skoooosh the league now and have saved money for the summer.

skipster7
01-02-2017, 07:00 AM
If not signing players for the sake of it means Hibs can/will offer the likes of Fyvie and McGregor a new contract then I applaud the lack of transfer activity this window just past.
Exactly,i think a few fall for all the Sky hype. A club like Hibs cant have 20+ players for the first team imo.More than good enough to win this league.:agree:

Ilovehibs
01-02-2017, 07:04 AM
I am happy with our squad. Only concern is cover for Hanlon in the derby.

Steve20
01-02-2017, 07:08 AM

I'm comfortable with McGregor and Fontaine for the derby. I still think we miss something in the final third with no Commons anymore and that would be my concern for the derby.

skipster7
01-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Im happy if Forster plays. He likes a goal at the bus shelter.

The Leith Dutch
01-02-2017, 07:16 AM
An odd statement if I might say so. Never understood how criticism of a salaried management team (Head of Football Operations,Head of Recruitment or whatever) is undermining our club.

If anything it's standing up for the club by challenging what the paid staff are delivering for their wages.

I guess it depends on how that criticism is backed up.
There's an earlier comment about being "lazy" that doesn't appear to have any justification.

Also a bit tired of the black and white approach - either bed wetting or happy clapping.
This one reeks of the former.

I'd have liked some signings but who wouldn't? We're not desparate and in terms of the squad itself I'd say we have reasonable cover in most areas:
Cummings, Holt, Graham, Keatings and Boyle up front.
Keatings, Boyle, Humphrey, Shinnie and possibly McGinn (who seems a lot more potent now the ankle is sorted) attacking mid.
McGinn, Fyvie, McGeogh, Bartley and Martin Centre Mid.
McGregor, Hanlon, Fontaine and Forster at Centre back.

We're definitely light on full-backs and another injury at CB would worry me but we'd still field a very decent team if you took out 3 of those players even if 2 were in the same area (CB excepted with Hanlon out).

SlickShoes
01-02-2017, 07:16 AM
Our squad is good enough, no one else strengthened more than us and the main factor in Dundee Utd challenging is if they keep Tony Andreu fit

Maybe our finances aren't as good as some people think

allezsauzee
01-02-2017, 07:30 AM
Would people rather we spent well beyond our means and have nothing left once we get up? The squad we have should be strong enough to compete in the top 6 of the premier league never mind win the championship.

Jim44
01-02-2017, 07:32 AM
I'm a wee bit surprised that Commons and Stokes were our only targets, at least the only ones we were linked with. Maybe there were others but that's academic now. I've already said I think we will win the league, maybe not at a canter, but the failed attempt to get Commons and/or Stokes is a wee dent in the feelgood factor. Still, a few wins in forthcoming matches will dispel any disappointment. :hibees

LeithSqualk
01-02-2017, 07:36 AM
We will go up, what's the point signing championship players. We will need premier league players next year.

Steve20
01-02-2017, 07:40 AM
Would people rather we spent well beyond our means and have nothing left once we get up? The squad we have should be strong enough to compete in the top 6 of the premier league never mind win the championship.

I'd like a team strong enough to win the championship comfortably AND get to the later stages of the cup this season. We may or may not have that in place already, but bringing in more creativity in the final third would certainly have gave us a better chance.

Ozyhibby
01-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Two bad windows in a row but I would say the summer one was worse. Had we not got that wrong we would have had no need to be looking at Stokes.
Hopefully Cummings remains fit and we go up. I think we will be ok but we need to lift our recruitment game next summer. I'm glad we didn't just buy for the sake of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man Down Under
01-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Arguably we have our best squad since being in the championship. I suspect Lennon may have said what he said to encourage the players to work harder.
If they play at their ability each week, we'll go up without too much bother I think.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
01-02-2017, 07:45 AM
They sure didn't...got it badly wrong

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

swordin3
01-02-2017, 08:08 AM
I think everyone would have liked one more quality signing I am sure there was plenty being done.After we pulverise Ayr everyone will move on and continue our unstoppable charge to the Premier.😆

Steve20
01-02-2017, 08:09 AM
I think everyone would have liked one more quality signing I am sure there was plenty being done.After we pulverise Ayr everyone will move on and continue our unstoppable charge to the Premier.😆

Not if we get beat from Hearts the week after.

scotch
01-02-2017, 08:15 AM
I have to say, I never bought in to Lennon's "the squad is bare bones" mantra, I think there is fantastic depth in the squad and any additional signings would purely have been to put the icing on the cake - so if the quality players weren't available and deals could not be struck, so be it.
I understand the concerns that we haven't speculated but the reaction on here suggests we're struggling to pull a matchday squad together - far from it and often when I've looked at the bench for our matches, it's as strong a bench as I've seen Hibs have in probably over 5-6 years.

GreenPJ
01-02-2017, 08:17 AM
Virtually fans of all clubs in Scotland (and England for that matter) are moaning tonight that their club hasnt done enough in this window. The truth is very few clubs do much in the January window and its a bit of a non event despite Skys best efforts. Hadnt noticed our rivals in the Championship doing very much unless Ive missed it. We are the best team in this division, as our current position shows, havent seen anything in the transfer window that has changed that viewpoint. Very much as you were for me.

:agree:

G B Young
01-02-2017, 08:17 AM
There are only 14 games to go. We're eight points clear and now starting to motor under Lennon. Before Christmas I was far from confident we'd finish top but Lennon has now convinced me he's the man to get us over the line.

Fans get too obsessed with transfer deadline day. If you're snapping up as many players as possible in January (like Hearts) it's usually indicative that the club's in trouble and smacks of panic buying. Hibs on the other hand made a clever short term signing in Commons which paid off big style in the shape of two match-winning goals, while the signing of Humphreys has given us the extra width and quality of delivery we've been desperately in need of. We've also added a back-up keeper which might prove a shrewd move. I'm fine with all that. Yes an extra quality signing such as Stokes would have been good but we look more than strong enough to get out of this league without him.

GreenPJ
01-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Two bad windows in a row but I would say the summer one was worse. Had we not got that wrong we would have had no need to be looking at Stokes.
Hopefully Cummings remains fit and we go up. I think we will be ok but we need to lift our recruitment game next summer. I'm glad we didn't just buy for the sake of it.

So if as you suggest the Summer window was wrong and we had signed better quality in the summer, where we would be in comparison to where we are now?

Niffy
01-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Never a good / easy transfer window.

jane_says
01-02-2017, 08:25 AM
We are 8 points clear despite having had our midfield decimated through injurys and our main striker out of form and dropped. We have statistically the best defence in Europe and everyone bar Hanlon fit and Cummings knocking them in again. I'm not concerned about this transfer window in the slightest.

Very much this. We have more than enough to get us up and I would wager that we extend our lead at the top too.

worcesterhibby
01-02-2017, 08:29 AM

Disagree, the key success of both the windows has been the fact that we have kept our best players, despite the fact that we faced another year in the Championship. Signing Lennon as manager was a signal of intent that kept the likes of Hanlon, McGinn and Cummings at Hibs despite the fact that there are plenty of teams in the Division above who would love to have them.

Phil MaGlass
01-02-2017, 08:32 AM
I think once the season is over and we are promoted it would be great to make a list of all those panic threads like this one.

SlickShoes
01-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Not if we get beat from Hearts the week after.

People shouldn't get hung up on the hearts game, that's for jambos to do, if we win great, if we don't then the focus just shifts to the larger task that is promotion.

As long as our league form doesn't take a hit, I'm not fussy about the result against Hearts.

jacomo
01-02-2017, 08:36 AM
I think once the season is over and we are promoted it would be great to make a list of all those panic threads like this one.

I'm in no mood for recriminations. I do understand the nervousness at times. The stakes are high and we simply have to finish top of the league (play offs shouldn't be contemplated).

But I'm happy with the manager and squad, happy with our current position, and hope all my fellow supporters are enjoying uninterrupted sleeps!

The Green Goblin
01-02-2017, 08:39 AM
I would have liked to see KC come in, as he has already shown in key games this season that he can give us an edge which can be the difference between winning and losing. At the root of the op, is fear of not going up. I can understand that, as we all share it to some extent, but I think that any criticism of the club should be fair, in that it also recognises what they have done which has made a difference e.g. getting Neil Lennon as manager, Humphreys, extending existing contracts on our best players etc.

worcesterhibby
01-02-2017, 08:44 AM

There is a grain of truth on what you say, but there was no balance whatsoever in the OP. It's also the fact that he felt the need to start a new highly negative thread instead of posting on the existing transfer window thread ...anyway Let's take a look at some of it line by line.

Really ? a complete disaster ? we have not lost any key players and have brought in Humphrey who has already put in one key match winning performance and scored a goal. More important still (IMHO) is that we haven't brought in the sort of last minute dross that so many previous managers felt the need to bring in, just so they could say we were "strengthening".

Bare Bones ? really we have a bigger squad than everyone else in the Division with cover for every position and if we do need to dip in to our pool of young players...they just happen to be top of the league (AS WELL).

Maybe, but our current form would suggest otherwise and UTD have not made any real impact in the window either.
If you change all the "we" in his post to "Them" and it sounds like something off Kickback ! see below

What a complete disaster this transfer window will have been for the Hibs.

Lennon himself said they were threadbare at the weekend and yet they bring nobody in. they are only an injury or two away from the bare bones.

Another run like pre-Xmas and they could be in a real dogfight with Utd.

Unfortunately, Utd seem to have had a very poor window too.

Still think they'll go up, but hugely pleasing to witness their failure to bring in that extra bit of quality to really kick on in this transfer window.

bigwheel
01-02-2017, 08:50 AM
our current run was made 4 points (and two wins) better by the involvement of Commons...we don't have him now, so our overall squad is weaker now than it was at the start of the window imo....I'd be surprised if we continue our recent points totals in the coming 5-6 matches..

Hope we do of course, but one or two good signings would have made that much more likely.

snooky
01-02-2017, 08:52 AM

And vice versa if we aren't. :wink:

Peevemor
01-02-2017, 08:56 AM
our current run was made 4 points (and two wins) better by the involvement of Commons...we don't have him now, so our overall squad is weaker now than it was at the start of the window imo....I'd be surprised if we continue our recent points totals in the coming 5-6 matches..

Hope we do of course, but one or two good signings would have made that much more likely.

At the start of the window our best midfielders were injured. Maybe we would have got 6 points had McGinn been fully fit and playing in place of Commons.

There's no way of knowing.

eastmainsmsh
01-02-2017, 09:11 AM
We will go up and hopefully rodders and LeAnn back lenny next season

lapsedhibee
01-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Rangers never even named a full bench in the Scottish cup final last season

Apparently didn't name a full bench for finanical reasons

They had high loser bonuses?

:tsk tsk: Extra bodyguard costs.

PeeKay
01-02-2017, 09:30 AM
We had Stokes last season and didn't get promoted so I don't see how not getting him in this transfer window can be considered as a blow to our promotion hopes this time around.

Oscar T Grouch
01-02-2017, 09:37 AM
We have to look at the coming fixture too. Our nearest rivals aren't playing too well and they've got 4 hard fixtures coming up. We have to play 4 teams in the bottom half of the table. I can only see us extending our lead at the top, so even if there is a dip in form or some injuries we will have a bigger cushion between us and Utd. The window hasn't been great, but I would prefer we bring in player who improve the squad rather than just fill it. I see very little to be negative about at the moment.

Velma Dinkley
01-02-2017, 09:39 AM
I'm not worried at all to be honest. We can still sign Ian Black and Ryan McGowan.

Smartie
01-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm not worried at all to be honest. We can still sign Ian Black and Ryan McGowan.

I heard McGowan was going back to HMFC.

01-02-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm disappointed we never brought anyone in yesterday, it seems we had 2 maybe 3 guys lined up but the deals for whatever reason fell through. However, I still think we have more than a good enough squad already to win this league. Our closest title challengers Utd hardly did anything either that will greatly enhance their squad. I would have been a wee bit concerned if they had managed to sign Nadir Ciffti as rumours suggested they might but they never and we still have a much better squad than them.

brog
01-02-2017, 10:04 AM

Here's what NL said. Strangely no mention of threadbare or bare bones but plenty caveats about maybe signing someone but bringing in the right someone. His 19 number is also a bit dubious. We had 18 players listed on Saturday & the 19th was presumably Martin but that didn't include Bartley, suspended, or Handling who is now close to full fitness. So rather than us being an injury or 2 away from the bare bones we would actually only be left with 18 or 19 seasoned professionals!! Every manager in our league & most in the league above us would bite their hands off for our squad.

He said: “It could go right to the wire but I would like to bring at least one more body in.“Everyone tells me I’ve got great strength in depth but the squad’s light. “We had 19 fit players on Saturday, so a few injuries and we’re digging in to the Academy players. “So, it would be important if we did bring another one in – but the right one, not just for the sake of bringing another body in. “I’m a manager, I’m always over-cautious, and I always think when you’re in a position of strength, strengthen. “So, that’s maybe what we’ll look to do.”

Kato
01-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Here's what NL said. Strangely no mention of threadbare or bare bones but plenty caveats about maybe signing someone but bringing in the right someone. His 19 number is also a bit dubious. We had 18 players listed on Saturday & the 19th was presumably Martin but that didn't include Bartley, suspended, or Handling who is now close to full fitness. So rather than us being an injury or 2 away from the bare bones we would actually only be left with 18 or 19 seasoned professionals!! Every manager in our league & most in the league above us would bite their hands off for our squad.

He said: “It could go right to the wire but I would like to bring at least one more body in.“Everyone tells me I’ve got great strength in depth but the squad’s light. “We had 19 fit players on Saturday, so a few injuries and we’re digging in to the Academy players. “So, it would be important if we did bring another one in – but the right one, not just for the sake of bringing another body in. “I’m a manager, I’m always over-cautious, and I always think when you’re in a position of strength, strengthen. “So, that’s maybe what we’ll look to do.”

So AL-Qaholik's OP is "fake news".

RIP
01-02-2017, 10:54 AM
There is a grain of truth on what you say, but there was no balance whatsoever in the OP. It's also the fact that he felt the need to start a new highly negative thread instead of posting on the existing transfer window thread ...anyway Let's take a look at some of it line by line.

Really ? a complete disaster ? we have not lost any key players and have brought in Humphrey who has already put in one key match winning performance and scored a goal. More important still (IMHO) is that we haven't brought in the sort of last minute dross that so many previous managers felt the need to bring in, just so they could say we were "strengthening".

Bare Bones ? really we have a bigger squad than everyone else in the Division with cover for every position and if we do need to dip in to our pool of young players...they just happen to be top of the league (AS WELL).

Maybe, but our current form would suggest otherwise and UTD have not made any real impact in the window either.
If you change all the "we" in his post to "Them" and it sounds like something off Kickback ! see below

What a complete disaster this transfer window will have been for the Hibs.

Lennon himself said they were threadbare at the weekend and yet they bring nobody in. they are only an injury or two away from the bare bones.

Another run like pre-Xmas and they could be in a real dogfight with Utd.

Unfortunately, Utd seem to have had a very poor window too.

Still think they'll go up, but hugely pleasing to witness their failure to bring in that extra bit of quality to really kick on in this transfer window.

All fair points bud but you need to address them to the OP - not me.

WeeRussell
01-02-2017, 11:34 AM
I think it's been a fair enough window.

We didn't get a couple of loan signings which I never really expected we would. But we didn't (as far as I'm aware) receive as much as a speculative bid for any of the players in our squad who we want to see here until the end of the season at least.

I could manage our squad to win this league from this position. If Lennon doesn't do it, it's not this transfer window to blame.

heidtheba
01-02-2017, 11:42 AM
People shouldn't get hung up on the hearts game, that's for jambos to do, if we win great, if we don't then the focus just shifts to the larger task that is promotion.

As long as our league form doesn't take a hit, I'm not fussy about the result against Hearts.

This. Obviously I'd love to beat them, even totally rip them a new one, but I really don't care as much as I would before. Mission number one is promotion. I totally agree with the previous poster who said our best business was not losing our best players. I'm actually glad we're hitting a post January tdd with no issues about how quickly players will bed in to the formation.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2017, 11:52 AM
If we don't go up it won't be due to our failure to sign an old midfield player.

Borderhibbie76
01-02-2017, 01:33 PM

Fed up reading this argument tbh...I was gutted we never made a signing yesterday but we only brought commons in because of injuries to fyvie Mcginn and Mcgeouch....whose to say we wouldn't have won at both Falkirk and Dumbarton had those 3 all been fit....we did in the first round of fixtures this season??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

brog
01-02-2017, 01:41 PM
So AL-Qaholik's OP is "fake news".

Or an alternative truth!! :wink:

A Hi-Bee
01-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Have to agree number one priority is getting oot this division, we do and I am sure that NL and staff are well aware that we would need to bring in new players to compete in the division above.

A Hi-Bee
01-02-2017, 02:02 PM
Or an alternative truth!! :wink:

Sorry no such thing, there are just lies, lies and damn lies

snooky
01-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Sorry no such thing, there are just lies, lies and damn lies

What about poor Statistics? Why leave them out? :tsk tsk:

Newry Hibs
01-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Five live last night discussing the transfer deadline / January window. Said teams at the top (Arsenal Chelsea etc) don't 'do business now' and it's teams at the bottom - because things aren't going well - that do the signings.

Hibs are comfortably at the top of the table. Don't need anyone.

brog
01-02-2017, 02:21 PM
I wonder if Stokes' court appearance today had any bearing on move not happening?

Turkish Green
01-02-2017, 02:50 PM
What I do know is that this thread is scaremongering.

With the squad Hibs have, even with the level of injuries at present, they should skoosh the Championship. Whatever points Hibs drop through the remainder of the season, the other teams in the top 4 will drop just as many, if not more.

CropleyWasGod
01-02-2017, 03:04 PM
I wonder if Stokes' court appearance today had any bearing on move not happening?

A difficult one. LD probably thought that were caught in a trap.

Smartie
01-02-2017, 03:08 PM
A difficult one. LD probably thought that were caught in a trap.

Yes, I can understand why she might have initially thought that, but surely she'd have eventually seen sense, sat Stokesy down and told him that we can't go on together with suspicious minds?

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2017, 03:11 PM
If we don't go up it will have little to do with what happened, or didn't, in this transfer window.

No matter what league we happen to be in we currently have the tightest defence in the whole of Europe .... with the players we have.

We have by a country mile the best midfield in the Championship and one of the best in Scotland .... with the players we have.

We have a forward line that contains one of the hottest properties in Scotland and guys with bags of experience ... with the players we have.

It would have been great to keep Commons and add Stokes, but its far from the end of the world that we didn't. The only concern I have at the moment is the chance that Hanlon might be missing for the derby ... I have faith that Fontaine or Forster if it comes to it can do a good job, but for me Hanlon is better than both and I would rather have him beside McGregor for that one.

In all honesty I think the fact we play the Yams shortly has heightened the concern from some fans over our lack of signings ..... once that game is out of the way, win or lose, folk will settle down a bit and concentrate on the only thing that matters this season, getting promoted, and recognise that we are more than well enough equipped to do that.

broondog
01-02-2017, 03:16 PM
we could have done better in the window is the bottom line. Our squad is better than anyone elses in the league by some way but if we get a couple of injuries to key players then I am not too confident in terms of backup. With the money we are brining in in increased ticket sales surely we could have added a couple without risk

Callum_62
01-02-2017, 03:30 PM
Given our attendances this season im a bit disappointed in the 2 transfer windows

steakbake
01-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Yes, I can understand why she might have initially thought that, but surely she'd have eventually seen sense, sat Stokesy down and told him that we can't go on together with suspicious minds?

No turning back now.

lapsedhibee
01-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Probably more to do with the fact that he's got a new woman dan sarf.
Marie's the name.

HoboHarry
01-02-2017, 04:08 PM
LD initially thought Stokes would be a Good Luck Charm but after hearing about the court case she was All Shook Up and decided that it was better to Return to Sender.........

brog
01-02-2017, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;4928621]A difficult one. LD probably thought that were caught in a trap.[/QUOTy

It seems only a fool such as I thought Stokesy would return, to sender!

Eddie Burntool
02-02-2017, 08:11 AM
LD initially thought Stokes would be a Good Luck Charm but after hearing about the court case she was All Shook Up and decided that it was better to Return to Sender.........

Knnow we already have a strong squad and likely will win the league at a canter but very frustrating not to have strengthened significantly during the transfer window. LD had better get the finger out otherwise, we risk losing Lenny - he'll not be happy and this could potentially be divisive (remember what happened at Celtic?) We need a show of unity and purpose from the club so everyone is 'on message' and singing from the same hymn-sheet.

GGTTH

Edit: Than'yvermush.

snooky
02-02-2017, 09:28 AM

The Wonder of You-th?

Bad Martini
02-02-2017, 01:25 PM
The January Transfer Window; a chance to fix issues with your squad or problems you've developed since the season started. Remember; it started in the summer - does anyone seriously think the plan is to go into the January window with a lot of targets? Generally, paying over the odds (because people KNOW you're in the **** in this window because your summer signings didn't work or something has gone "wrong")??

The time to bolster and build squads oddly enough is NOT January. Its the period before the season starts. Its when you bring a squad together, train them together, mould them together and build them together.

IF you do that properly, you need do very little (if anything) in January. January is, as I said, a bit of a stopgap to get you to the end of the season. Do the proper business at the right time and you wont need January.

Meantime, I think we need a pile of players to cover the huge gaps in our squad; we're not top of the league, not through to the next round in the cup and scoring no goals. Leaking goals like **** and we should be panic buying, getting a squad bigger than hearts and rangers (this is acceptable business practice when aiming to lose money) and generally worry about **** that's not there to worry about....:rolleyes:

....meantime in the real world...GGTTH :flag:

Vini1875
02-02-2017, 02:22 PM
No way are dufc going to win 3 more games than Hibs given the squad they have over the next 14 games. I would say if we beat them at tannadice league is over.

The Commons deal seems to have came down to him being injured and the Stokes deal just seemed to raise hope and have it dashed and the same went for Hendo. Before the window I was content with our squad. The three players quoted would have improved the squad, but we still have enough to get over the line.

Bristolhibby
02-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I must say I'm surprised that we haven't signed anyone other than Humphrey. It's a gamble that if it backfires would lead to a lot of discontent amongst the fans. I personally think we have enough to win the league, but I thought we had enough to stay up in the window before we went down.
Theres still a chance we might add to the squad if there's any players been released at the end of the window.

New goalie?

Keith_M
02-02-2017, 03:42 PM
Jeez, and I thought I was negative!

:greengrin

We're going to win the league before the end of April.

Ronniekirk
02-02-2017, 07:45 PM
New goalie?

Gallagher St Mirren punted him Only brougjt in as Rocky injured and need cover if Laidlaw was to be injured

jgl07
02-02-2017, 08:41 PM
No there is a grand tradition of Hibs strikers for attacking Elvis impersonators. Garry O'Connor was convicted a few years back.

At least Riordan and Griffiths stayed clear of that one.

snooky
02-02-2017, 08:52 PM
No there is a grand tradition of Hibs strikers for attacking Elvis impersonators. Garry O'Connor was convicted a few years back.

Nae wonder Steven Pressley shot the craw.

majorhibs
02-02-2017, 09:26 PM
We'll go up.

In saying that it's only 3 or 4 weeks since people were blaming our slump in form on 3 or 4 injuries. If that happened again have we addressed the issue?

Is that the same as a "we"ll stay up" c/o Petrie, buffoon Hardie, Butcher etc? I think probs up aye tae, but don't fancy any eyes off the prize scenario's, & that includes excuses about injuries etc! We had a spell, Mcginn Fyvie etc out, Hanlons out a while, 1 time to say it - when it's achieved.

HoboHarry
02-02-2017, 09:53 PM

Darren McCormack on the other hand was rather more selective about who he gave a "Good Luck Charm" too.......:wink: