PDA

View Full Version : Please vote!

Jones28
30-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Evening Chaps/chappettes

Just a quick poll on the quality pies at ER and your feelings on whether you would pay more/less for new or the same pies!

Thanks for your help,

Kyle :flag:

Hiber-nation
30-01-2017, 05:59 PM
You'd be better putting the subject matter in the thread title maybe?

Fuzzywuzzy
30-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Think the club should approach greggs for some kind of collaboration. The food on offer just now is, well, *****. I love the fact that pie and Bovril are part of the game but for the love of the baby jeebus the catering can surely do better. I'll normally only get a Bovril but at the utd game I got a pie. By Christ was it grim. The Stephens pies at Dunfermline are nice

makaveli1875
30-01-2017, 06:27 PM
its not just the pies , the pizzas and burgers are rank too

30-01-2017, 06:27 PM
The pies aren't too bad but I had a burger a few weeks back and the bun was almost frozen cold and the burger tasted cheap and nasty. My pal got chips and they were like tasteless bits of cardboard and a coke that was flat. Very poor indeed.

Since90+2
30-01-2017, 06:28 PM
The pies are already overpriced. I think it's about £2.30 for a pie which is more than double the price of every baker I've ever been into.

They would have some cheek and if they made them more expensive.

iwasthere1972
30-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Food is far too expensive. I don't eat meat so even if it was priced better I would be restricted to pizza or a bag or crisps. I occasionally take my own food with me. Not a hamper, just some sausage rolls...vegetarian of course.

Thecat23
30-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Isnt hibs one of the most expensive in the U.K. for food? For the record pies are rank along with the rest. The hot chocolate is horrific. Be nice to have chocolate in it!

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Steak pie & a Bovril at every game, its pretty well a tradition for me:

The pies are usually reasonable in taste and consistency, but its an utter pain in the backside that 50% of the time the pie is stuck to the bottom of the bloody foil and you end up having to dig it out, at which point it falls to bits and you have to scrape the damned thing out with your fingers :grr:

As for paying more for 'a premium product' sorry Hibees but for the prices we are paying just now we should be entitled to expect a 'premium product' already ....... the fact that folk like me buy what's on offer just now is purely down to the fact that we all know stuff costs more at the football, if the same quality of fare was on offer in a high street bakers or butchers for the same prices it would shut in less than a fortnight.

Blackfordhibby
30-01-2017, 06:38 PM
I'd be happy just to get one more often. Fed up queuing on occasions to be told there's only crisps left. I like a pie and bovril at half time,not 20 minutes into the game.

mutley
30-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Although I agree that the food isn't great and over priced, the main problem for me is the speed of the service! Yes I know they are young etc but at every other ground I have been to, queues are just as big but go a lot faster. They just take an age to serve you at ER.
It's not as if there aren't enough people, they are just very badly organised. If there is such a thing as a manager there, they really need to get a grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
30-01-2017, 07:03 PM
I like the pies, the cheap nasty taste is the best bit. :greengrin However they're certainly not worth the money currently and even if we were to get "premium pies" I don't think I could justify paying a penny more than what I currently pay. £2.30 for any pie is ridiculous when its about £1 in Greggs.

tartanhibee
30-01-2017, 07:07 PM
I've always like the idea of having the price of a pie added to your match ticket so £22 match ticket or £24 match ticket with pie, you could add it to season tickets as well. I know that this is not feesible as most people probably buy stuff on impulse but could do away getting change as you would have a voucher maybe.

It sounds good in my head lol

Speedy
30-01-2017, 07:16 PM
I don't think the price is that bad. Comparable to a chippy (maybe even cheaper).

You can't compare it to Greggs. Events are always expensive and at football there is a very short window to cover expenses.

Pete
30-01-2017, 07:20 PM
If I get a pie before the match they are lovely but if I wait until half time they are always dried out.

If they get any more expensive I don't think I'll bother. I'm not even hungry when I buy one anyway.

P.s. poll isn't very good on my phone.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2017, 07:31 PM
The pies were sampled against plenty of others before a decision was made.
Not as bad as made out.

Carheenlea
30-01-2017, 07:41 PM
I quite like the pies at ER, and fluctuate between the scotch and steak versions depending on what takes my fancy. Usually get a bovril to accompany which is always fine. Like others, I do feel like I'm getting robbed a little on the cost, and while nobody will be expecting bargains at such events, it surely doesn't need to be quite as expensive for the company to turn a profit.

Golden Bear
30-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Think the club should approach greggs for some kind of collaboration. The food on offer just now is, well, *****. I love the fact that pie and Bovril are part of the game but for the love of the baby jeebus the catering can surely do better. I'll normally only get a Bovril but at the utd game I got a pie. By Christ was it grim. The Stephens pies at Dunfermline are nice

I concur. The pies at Dunfermline are absolutely outstanding.

Northernhibee
30-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Dependant on size and quality I'd pay up to £4-5 for a really quality pie with locally sourced, high quality meat. As

beensaidbefore
30-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Dependant on size and quality I'd pay up to £4-5 for a really quality pie with locally sourced, high quality meat. As

Call me a tight arse, but I wouldn't pay 4 quid for a pie anywhere. I once had to pay a 5er for a bacon roll at t in the park and I'm still raging about it! 😂

SuperAllyMcleod
30-01-2017, 08:23 PM
I can't believe that people can't go 2 hours without food - based on this thread, if the quality and prices don't put you off then nothing will.

As for Greggs, well there's one on Easter Road and there's another when you come in from Lochend so just buy them on the way to the match and eat them when you get there.

I know that will be seen as not giving the money to the club but they may then get the message and improve the quality and reduce the prices.

Billy Whizz
30-01-2017, 08:56 PM
The pies were sampled against plenty of others before a decision was made.
Not as bad as made out.

That's if you can finish them, usually stuck to the tin foil

leggeto
30-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Food is crap and overpriced,I take a wee packed lunch in for my kids

ehf
30-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Although I agree that the food isn't great and over priced, the main problem for me is the speed of the service! Yes I know they are young etc but at every other ground I have been to, queues are just as big but go a lot faster. They just take an age to serve you at ER.
It's not as if there aren't enough people, they are just very badly organised. If there is such a thing as a manager there, they really need to get a grip.

:agree: you certainly seem to enter another time/space dimension at the kiosks in the West Lower; everything slows down to the speed of glacial erosion.

Cameron1875
30-01-2017, 11:21 PM
There's a fancier selection in Behind The Goals. Think it's called Pie Not?

Quite expensive but more of a premium product so I'd be surprised if they don't look to at least try that instead of the grey mess they serve downstairs at the moment.

iwasthere1972
30-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Call me a tight arse, but I wouldn't pay 4 quid for a pie anywhere. I once had to pay a 5er for a bacon roll at t in the park and I'm still raging about it! 😂

You're being rash.

stoneyburn hibs
30-01-2017, 11:28 PM
There's a fancier selection in Behind The Goals. Think it's called Pie Not?

Quite expensive but more of a premium product so I'd be surprised if they don't look to at least try that instead of the grey mess they serve downstairs at the moment.

Yes it's Pie Not. Steak pie is delicious but I suppose it should be for £3.50

HappyAsHellas
30-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Tried one of the steak pies from pie not in BTG before the Dundee Utd game and it was really good. On Saturday I'll be back in the massive queues in the east at half time for a mince pie (steak are always sold out ) that will fall spectacularly short of my culinary expectations, but a pie and bovril are an integral part of going to the football. Just get something half decent, christ if Dunfermline can do it..........

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2017, 11:36 PM
I can't believe that people can't go 2 hours without food - based on this thread, if the quality and prices don't put you off then nothing will.

As for Greggs, well there's one on Easter Road and there's another when you come in from Lochend so just buy them on the way to the match and eat them when you get there.

I know that will be seen as not giving the money to the club but they may then get the message and improve the quality and reduce the prices.

Huh, easy for you to say ... some of us aren't breakfast eaters and when you leave the house at 12 noon to get to the game and don't get home until about half 6 a pie and Bovril is a must :greengrin

.Sean.
30-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Is the curry one at ER not already marketed as a premium or something?

And it's still as ***** as everything else on offer. Overpriced garbage.

Hermit Crab
31-01-2017, 06:49 AM
The pies are terrible. Full of horrible hard gristly bits and large chunks of fat in the steak ones. Poor quality meat all round. Far too expensive as well. Justify £2.50 odd for a 500ml bottle of coke poured into a paper cup??

A Hi-Bee
31-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Get stephens bakers in to do the grub, the pies just now are crap, and the cooncil water wi a boveril flavour overpriced, Hibs are loosing out in my humble opinion as its no as if there is not a large captive market there, same for the hibs shop, it is costing the club cash.

Fuzzywuzzy
31-01-2017, 08:34 PM
i loved the steak pies i used to get from auld watty in clermiston grove. they were outstanding for a jambo.

Jones28
28-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Giving this a wee bump! Admins, can you change title of thread to Pie-gate or something more witty and enticing? :wink:

Diclonius
28-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Haven't bought food at ER for years - don't see the point in paying a vastly overinflated price for what is essentially a snack (regardless of the quality) when you can get something for far cheaper before/after the game.

Start by reducing pies to £1 and we'll talk.

BSEJVT
28-02-2017, 06:11 PM
That's if you can finish them, usually stuck to the tin foil

That would be my gripe as well

I actually quite enjoy them and the price is what it is, no-one is being forced at gunpoint to buy them, so you either do or you don't.

I guess its pretty tricky to be cooking that many and stop some sticking to the foil?

easty
28-02-2017, 06:30 PM
That would be my gripe as well

I actually quite enjoy them and the price is what it is, no-one is being forced at gunpoint to buy them, so you either do or you don't.

I guess its pretty tricky to be cooking that many and stop some sticking to the foil?

Why do they have to be in the foil case at all? Greggs manages to cook loads of pies at once without the need for a case. And they're cheaper. Is that why they're so expensive...the precious metals used in the foil?

NAE NOOKIE
28-02-2017, 06:46 PM
Not for the first time the steak pie I had ordered magically turned into a scotch pie by the time I reached my seat ( this was at Wednesday night's game ) ...... now I get how that can happen because both types of pie look pretty identical to the untrained ( or trained it appears ) eye. When this happens I usually suck it up coz I don't mind a scotch pie and I cant be bothered to go back to the queue to complain.

But considering the Bovril I ordered at the same time and sipped prior to tucking into my tasty steak ( sorry I mean mince ) pie had also magically turned into a coffee, which is a drink that makes me want to puke, even I felt compelled to return to the kiosk to have a moan and demand the right order ..... to be fair my order was replaced with the correct one speedily and without quibble.

Now I'm no catering guru, but wouldn't it be a good idea to put pies with different fillings but which look identical into different coloured foil .... EG silver for mince, red for steak. In the last 3 seasons I reckon I've been given the wrong pie about 4 times, if I had the pie replaced every time that would cost the club about £10 in replacement pies ..... if that happens to other fans with the regularity it has to me how much would it all add up to in free pies?

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Not for the first time the steak pie I had ordered magically turned into a scotch pie by the time I reached my seat ( this was at Wednesday night's game ) ...... now I get how that can happen because both types of pie look pretty identical to the untrained ( or trained it appears ) eye. When this happens I usually suck it up coz I don't mind a scotch pie and I cant be bothered to go back to the queue to complain.

But considering the Bovril I ordered at the same time and sipped prior to tucking into my tasty steak ( sorry I mean mince ) pie had also magically turned into a coffee, which is a drink that makes me want to puke, even I felt compelled to return to the kiosk to have a moan and demand the right order ..... to be fair my order was replaced with the correct one speedily and without quibble.

Now I'm no catering guru, but wouldn't it be a good idea to put pies with different fillings but which look identical into different coloured foil .... EG silver for mince, red for steak. In the last 3 seasons I reckon I've been given the wrong pie about 4 times, if I had the pie replaced every time that would cost the club about £10 in replacement pies ..... if that happens to other fans with the regularity it has to me how much would it all add up to in free pies?

You have a point about the pies but how did you not notice a branded coffee cup?

Scouse Hibee
28-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Why do they have to be in the foil case at all? Greggs manages to cook loads of pies at once without the need for a case. And they're cheaper. Is that why they're so expensive...the precious metals used in the foil?

Greg's don't keep them hot once baked, the foil is to stop the crust burning.

High-On-Hibs
28-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Where's the "pay less for a better product" option? :confused:

Colr
28-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Food at Tottenham is pretty crap as well!

They never quite seem prepared for the increase in demand at half time.

Different story at Saracens, though!

GreenLake
28-02-2017, 07:46 PM
General concessions are not that great over here either, but Staples Center has a great spicy crispy chicken sandwich kiosk and the Stella is cold and served in decent amounts. VIP options would need to be sampled to be believed.

thebakerboy
28-02-2017, 07:59 PM

My point as well , it is all overpriced but the time it takes to get something is ridiculous. I'm in the FF upper and if I leave my seat at the whistle for half time go down to concourse , go to the loo , wait in queue for a Bovril to warm me up on a cold winters day I will not get back to my seat till at least 5 mins into the 2nd half. Noticed at the PBS for the Bonnyrigg game the hot water guns were beside the till and the cups below the till meaning they were much quicker to serve. I pay to watch football not stand in a queue so this season I have given up my half time Bovril which is losing the club money in fact about 20% of my normal match day outlay of the past few seasons. Its the clubs problem and needs sorted.

ColinNish
28-02-2017, 08:03 PM
I've had pies quite a few times that the pastry was stuck to bottom of foil case!!

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2017, 08:18 PM
i'm quite surprised at how many saying they would be willing to pay more for a premium pie :confused: at the price that they are at present they should already be damn well premium ffs, if greggs can churn out superior pies for less than half the present price then why are we not getting premium now, the last thing we want is the club realising fans are prepared to pay more

High-On-Hibs
28-02-2017, 08:25 PM
i'm quite surprised at how many saying they would be willing to pay more for a premium pie :confused: at the price that they are at present they should already be damn well premium ffs, if greggs can churn out superior pies for less than half the present price then why are we not getting premium now, the last thing we want is the club realising fans are prepared to pay more

Rodders must have much time on his hands making up nearly 30 .net accounts. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Rodders must have much time on his hands making up nearly 30 .net accounts. :greengrin

Leeann should get him tasting the pies instead :greengrin

Big L
28-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Bains pies at Stenhouse Cross, queue every day, most times oot the door. Can hardly get parked at dinner time. Absolutely the best pie in the town! £1.05 each.

High-On-Hibs
28-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Bains pies at Stenhouse Cross, queue every day, most times oot the door. Can hardly get parked at dinner time. Absolutely the best pie in the town! £1.05 each.

They're alright. Don't think their pastries up to much though and their pork sausage rolls always look undercooked.

A stephen's steak and haggis pie.... now that's the biz.

hibbycraig
01-03-2017, 08:47 AM
The price is almost double what I would pay for a pie. I usually nip into the cafe on albion road. Double filled roll or a pie for £1/1.50.

Thecat23
01-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Couldn't agree more, great pies and always worth the wait.

Benjeloon
01-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Me and my mate always get at least one pie each at the games before kick off. Probably wouldn't get one any later as there wouldn't be many left and the queues are just far too long.

Just like Nae Nookie I consider ordering a scotch or a steak pie a mystery option, you never know what you're going to get. I would say about half of the time I've ordered either I've gotten the opposite. In fact I even got a steak pie when I ordered a macaroni pie somehow. Whilst I'm on the topic, I'd have to say that the macaroni pies are the best pies at ER by a distance, but don't all rush to get one on Saturday as they hardly ever have any!

For what it's worth I'm resigned to the fact that the pies are over priced but I just can't go to the football without getting one. I'd have to give an honourable mention to Storrie's bakers on Leith Walk as being worth a shout, and very local. They do class pies, which I mainly sample at an ungodly hour stumbling back from a night on the tiles. Always amazes me when I order 3 pies and a drink that I get change back from a fiver - I guess I'm just conditioned to the ER prices.