PDA

View Full Version : Cup Derby in Shanghai

rodhibs55
30-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Anyone got any recommendations where I can watch the Cup derby in Shanghai. Get in there on Sunday morning 9:15 Chinese time. Not sorted my hotel yet either so any recommendation for a decent hotel would also e appreciated.
Cheers

Springbank
30-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Anyone got any recommendations where I can watch the Cup derby in Shanghai. Get in there on Sunday morning 9:15 Chinese time. Not sorted my hotel yet either so any recommendation for a decent hotel would also e appreciated.
Cheers

Fantastic city, we’ve toured there a few years with the band. If it was the Sky Sports game I’d have a few places to suggest. As it’s BBC Scotland it could be tricky – if you end up trying to watch via BBC.com then get to a hotel (the 93rd floor rooftop bar in the Park Hyatt at 100 Century Avenue Pudong, the bottle opener building, is where I’d go) as you have “Western” internet access there. If you try and get on BBC or facebook or youtube or twitter on Chinese internet it won’t let you in, censorship etc.
You could always subscribe to Hibs TV too! All the best, brilliant city.

SRHibs
30-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Fantastic city, we’ve toured there a few years with the band. If it was the Sky Sports game I’d have a few places to suggest. As it’s BBC Scotland it could be tricky – if you end up trying to watch via BBC.com then get to a hotel (the 93rd floor rooftop bar in the Park Hyatt at 100 Century Avenue Pudong, the bottle opener building, is where I’d go) as you have “Western” internet access there. If you try and get on BBC or facebook or youtube or twitter on Chinese internet it won’t let you in, censorship etc.

It's a Sky game IIRC.

Nazz
30-01-2017, 11:02 AM
If you try and get on BBC or facebook or youtube or twitter on Chinese internet it won’t let you in, censorship etc.
The BBC isn't blocked by the Chinese but certain content is blocked by the BBC because you're not in the UK. You can get around this with a good VPN.

In general, there are always restrictions when using free Wi-Fi anywhere in China, so a VPN will get you past these barriers and give you some privacy.

For Android, I use the free Psiphon app https://s3.amazonaws.com/psiphon/web/mjr4-p23r-puwl/en/index.html

On the PC, the payable service offered by Pandapow works well https://pandapow.co/

I'd recommend setting up your VPN apps before you leave the UK. I'd also advise you that not all VPN's are equal and many 'popular' ones that may work in Paris just don't work in China.

cocteautwin
30-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Maybe try The Camel Bar first if it's re-opened. Big bamboo is a possibility. I'd say most places unlikely to be showing it if there's EPL playing at same time. I'm in Japan mostly nowadays so a bit unsure where would be best. Your best bet would be our own Hibs Tv but beware, overseas sites in China are very slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodhibs55
31-01-2017, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions I am sure I will get the game one way or another.
GGTTH