PDA

View Full Version : What A Turnaround!!

brog
29-01-2017, 11:51 AM
So, at Xmas we were 2nd in the league by 2 points, having won 1 game in 4 & most people on this board were saying we need wingers, strikers, left back/right back cover, pace, width etc etc. Four league games (& 1 signing) later we've won them all ( 3 away from home ), we're 8 points clear & I can't even find the Transfer Window thread on this forum!! Do we still need all or any of the above, have we got complacent too quickly? Personally I think we need another strong mobile striker to complement JC but otherwise I'm more than happy with our squad.

jacomo
29-01-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm very wary about rolling the dice again at this stage of the season. We have enough quality and depth IMO.

Having said that, I wish we had the Grant Holt of 5 years ago, who could hassle defences and score goals.

SirDavidsNapper
29-01-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm comfortable with what we have really. I'm hoping we wrap the league up quickly so we can start targeting players for next season.

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm comfortable with what we have really. I'm hoping we wrap the league up quickly so we can start targeting players for next season.

It would be just as big a bonus to be able to send the likes of McGinn, Gray, Stevenson and a few others away on holiday a bit earlier at the end of this season if the chance presented itself ..... McGinn especially has played a hell of a lot of football in the last two years I doubt a couple of extra weeks chillin' would do any of them any harm.

Col2
29-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Commons played a big part in recent run. Secure him for remainder of the season and possibly extra CB cover depending on how long Hanlon may be out.

All other areas very strong for remainder of league campaign and cup defence.

1van Sprou7e
29-01-2017, 01:30 PM
It would be just as big a bonus to be able to send the likes of McGinn, Gray, Stevenson and a few others away on holiday a bit earlier at the end of this season if the chance presented itself ..... McGinn especially has played a hell of a lot of football in the last two years I doubt a couple of extra weeks chillin' would do any of them any harm.

Nae chance, need them for the cup final :wink:

1875STEVE
29-01-2017, 01:43 PM
So, at Xmas we were 2nd in the league by 2 points, having won 1 game in 4 & most people on this board were saying we need wingers, strikers, left back/right back cover, pace, width etc etc. Four league games (& 1 signing) later we've won them all ( 3 away from home ), we're 8 points clear & I can't even find the Transfer Window thread on this forum!! Do we still need all or any of the above, have we got complacent too quickly? Personally I think we need another strong mobile striker to complement JC but otherwise I'm more than happy with our squad.

2 signings Humphrey & Commons.

Bringing in Humphreys allowed us to play with two wingers, giving us pace and width. Commons gave us a goal/creativity from midfield, we were missing both, Results up turned, not really a surprise IMO.

Bringing them in also allowed Stevenson and Gray to do what they do best, defend, and not fly forward, when neither is the best crosser of a ball.

Ok we didn't play with wingers yesterday, we did as soon as Humphrey signed.

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2017, 01:46 PM

That would be nice :greengrin

brog
29-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Bringing in Humphreys allowed us to play with two wingers, giving us pace and width. Commons gave us a goal/creativity from midfield, we were missing both, Results up turned, not really a surprise IMO.

Bringing them in also allowed Stevenson and Gray to do what they do best, defend, and not fly forward, when neither is the best crosser of a ball.

Commons was signed before Xmas. I'm not being pedantic, it's just my point is that it was at Xmas that we fell 2 points behind Arabs & there was panic. One month later & it appears there's no movement on the transfer front & no one seems to care.

Keith_M
29-01-2017, 02:26 PM

I wouldn't bother, we only win every fourth final so we've still got the next three failures to get out of the way.

:wink:

Dashing Bob S
29-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Commons and Humphries a big factor. Also shoring up defence and having goalkeepers who know how save, command a box and talk to their back four.

Lennon addressing the defects of the past, systematically, after giving the SC winning team every chance to prove they can win this league. I expect more of the same and us to go up.

ancient hibee
29-01-2017, 03:00 PM
I always thought with Oxley that he saved most of the ones that he should and very few of the ones that he shouldn't.Goalkeeping has been more professional this season.

Sas_The_Hibby
29-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Things are looking good but we still need to score a few more goals to put games to bed before I'm really confident.

And before anyone says it, sure, if we win all the rest of our games 1-0 I won't be complaining. But my heart may not be doing so well! :greengrin

eastcoasthibby
29-01-2017, 03:12 PM
I always thought with Oxley that he saved most of the ones that he should and very few of the ones that he shouldn't.Goalkeeping has been more professional this season.
For me Oxley never inspired real confidence at all for a big laddie he didn't command his area at all ... didn't expect him to make any special saves, I expected him to make mistakes and misjudge things, things are different now and long may that continue !!! as is stated the goalkeeping seem's much more professional ...and the keepers have probably saved us 5-6 points at this stage with particular saves.... GGTTH and

Andy74
29-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Commons was signed before Xmas. I'm not being pedantic, it's just my point is that it was at Xmas that we fell 2 points behind Arabs & there was panic. One month later & it appears there's no movement on the transfer front & no one seems to care.

No one cares too much because Humphrey fills a wee gap in what we had. We have McGinn and Fyvie back, Cummings back in the goals, are 8 points clear and Dundee Utd have started to struggle.

I love a signing as much as the next man but we are not desperate for them.

Vault Boy
29-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Having McGinn, Fyvie and McGeouch out injured all at the same time was absolutely dreadful luck and we've done excellently to recover our position. Need to keep these key players fit, particularly with Hanlon now struggling.

neil7908
29-01-2017, 04:35 PM
We still need a left winger. If I was being greedy I'd like another forward who can score regularly. We're far too reliant on Cummings and despite the good support work Holt offers his scoring record in the Scottish second tier is poor.

emerald green
29-01-2017, 06:07 PM
I would still like to have seen Hibs more than 8 points in front at this stage. 3 points for a win and things can change quite quickly, but I still expect Hibs to win the Championship.

I think if Hibs can go 12 points in front it's over, so long as no complacency sets in or we are unlucky yet again with injuries.

Forza Fred
30-01-2017, 08:51 AM
I'd still like to see a centre forward type who can beat a man on the edge of the box, make his own chances and get a shot in.

Can we get some of Colin Stein's DNA cloned?

mmcclory02
30-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Commons played a big part in recent run. Secure him for remainder of the season and possibly extra CB cover depending on how long Hanlon may be out.

All other areas very strong for remainder of league campaign and cup defence.

What about Jordan foster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southern hibby
30-01-2017, 09:59 AM

For some reason ( maybe a feel good factor/ maybe stupidity) but feel we'll be at another cup final in May. So sending players away early really aren't going to happen ( fingers crossed).

GGTTH

heretoday
30-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Whupping Dundee Utd was a master stroke. We went four points ahead.

mim
30-01-2017, 10:11 AM
I'd still like to see a centre forward type who can beat a man on the edge of the box, make his own chances and get a shot in.

His name is Keatings :wink:

MB62
30-01-2017, 03:38 PM
No one cares too much because Humphrey fills a wee gap in what we had. We have McGinn and Fyvie back, Cummings back in the goals, are 8 points clear and Dundee Utd have started to struggle.

I love a signing as much as the next man but we are not desperate for them.

Don't think it's Dundee Utd we have to concern ourselves about Andy, Morton are the team of the moment, and Dunfy are doing quite well too.

8 points is a health lead but with more than a quarter of the season still to go, it's far from being over.

swordin3
30-01-2017, 03:52 PM
It's great having this feeling of satisfaction that we are in the running for promotion and I don't have to hide behind the couch when the vidiprinter spouts the scores out.

KWJ
30-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Ross Laidlaw really has been a very good signing. How did this guy get released fae Raith?

Phil MaGlass
30-01-2017, 04:17 PM

This