PDA

View Full Version : Honourary life president?

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2017, 12:41 PM
There has been a bit of discussion around Pat Stanton standing for one of the supporters rep posts ..... like a few folk I'm a bit concerned about him putting himself in the line of fire like that, though I'm sure he isn't :greengrin

IMO Pat Stanton is as close to a living legend as this club has and I would like to see him set above stuff like this ..... What I would like to see is the club create a post of honourary life president and Pat Stanton be the first recipient of that honour. I know Scottish clubs don't have presidents .... but it wouldn't be the first time we were first at something as it were.

This honour could be accompanied by a few perks ..... A small pension of £100 or £200 a week, the right to one free meal a day when the restaurants are open, a reserved seat in the directors box for all matches and the right to graze his sheep on the pitch:greengrin

What do folk think ...... Pat Stanton for honourary life president of Hibernian FC?

hibeerealist
28-01-2017, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;4921801]There has been a bit of discussion around Pat Stanton standing for one of the supporters rep posts ..... like a few folk I'm a bit concerned about him putting himself in the line of fire like that, though I'm sure he isn't :greengrin

IMO Pat Stanton is as close to a living legend as this club has and I would like to see him set above stuff like this ..... What I would like to see is the club create a post of honourary life president and Pat Stanton be the first recipient of that honour. I know Scottish clubs don't have presidents .... but it wouldn't be the first time we were first at something as it were.

This honour could be accompanied by a few perks ..... A small pension of

Support that shout NN, God SHOULD have been asked to carry out a role such as KD has at Liverpool!

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Great idea. I look at the 2 big clubs down south and you've got absolute legends as ambassadors or in some official capacity at the clubs. Bobby Charlton, Alex Ferguson, a Bryan Robson, Kenny Dalglish, Ian Rush etc

Our club went through a bit of turmoil over a few year period culminating in our relegation. The way the club is run, the improvements we've made I'd like to think amends have been made, lessons learnt and wounds healed. Irreconcilable differences with certain people may have been put to bed.

I'd love to see those that made this great club as representatives of the club in an official capacity

bigwheel
28-01-2017, 01:01 PM
There has been a bit of discussion around Pat Stanton standing for one of the supporters rep posts ..... like a few folk I'm a bit concerned about him putting himself in the line of fire like that, though I'm sure he isn't :greengrin

This honour could be accompanied by a few perks ..... A small pension of £100 or £200 a week, the right to one free meal a day when the restaurants are open, a reserved seat in the directors box for all matches and the right to graze his sheep on the pitch:greengrin

What do folk think ...... Pat Stanton for honourary life president of Hibernian FC?

100% agree
He shouldn't be in the poll. He has earned that title

et vireta
29-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Sorry Life President doesn't do it for me.
Sounds a bit like giving someone an honorary degree.

Pat Stanton is worth much much more than that.

The club has had over 20 years, to get Pat Stanton officially recognized (A place on the Board) and it hasn't done it.
Now, let us take that decision away from them. Let us as the Hibs supporters, get Pat Stanton the position he so richly deserves

A Full Board Member. Nothing less.

I think it is being rather condescending for people to say they don't want Pat to suffer any abuse from the supporters.
Let Pat decide on that one. Remember he was once our manager and suffered abuse then, and can manage it again.
Frank and Amit have managed the abuse, so why not Pat ?

Surely it can't be an age thing can it ? I doubt the fans think he is too old or out of touch ? Never !
Pat Stanton is a Football man, a man with a wealth of knowledge, knowledge that other clubs would give their right arms for.

Think of this. Pat Stanton or Craig Levein ? One is on the outside looking in and the other is supposedly calling all the football shots at Tynecastle. I know who has the more football knowledge. By a long long way.

Before I get shot down and reminded that it is a fans rep we are voting for, I will say I disagree.
We are voting to get someone onto the board of Hibernian football club.

Why do people need a middleman to approach the club with concerns or ideas ?
I have found them very approachable. Get a suggestions box in the reception area at ER ,another at the Hibs club and an online version.

I don't believe for a minute that "fans reps" have had influence on the big decisions, because they have no power and we are kidding ourselves if we believe that they do.

The only way we get real power in the boardroom is by increasing supporters shareholding
ie 20% and 26%

Patrick Gordon Stanton Captain - Manager - Director

Come on ! Do the right thing vote in your droves for a Hibs legend

:flag:

Pete
29-01-2017, 05:40 PM
100% agree
He shouldn't be in the poll. He has earned that title

:agree:

Stantons Angel
29-01-2017, 10:21 PM
naturally i am going to agree that Pat SHOULD have been on the board years ago.

He knows and loves Hibs just as much as we do and as the op states he is the last legend living that Hibs can call their own. I know that by standing for the fans rep he will be accepted on to the board just with the supporters voting him on.
He graced the jersey for many years and led a group of players by example and showed all that followed Hibs just how much it meant to him to be captain of that club.

Being manager was a great honour for such a humble guy and the lack of funding led to him resigning as he couldnt do his best for the club he loved.

Over the years Hibs have had chances galore to honour him or create a job of some responsibility for him to carry the mantle in projecting the image of the club.
In my opinion Pat has always been too popular with the support and there have been times when some at Easter Road have considered him a threat to their position with that popularity. Pat Stanton is worth more to that club than having him running messages and doing the banking and its time the club looked to him as a prized asset in their determination to connect with the support and surrounding communities.

When and not IF he gets on to the board he will take in the moans and groans of us supporters and his head will lead his heart in what he knows needs said. He is no, yes man by any means. Because he is quiet in thought, does not mean he will go along with things he thinks to be wrong!

The supporters know him and can identify with the background he came from and has never left behind. He is one of them and Hibs need to harness the pride and the passion he has for the Hibs for the benefit of the club's future.

I think you know who i will be voting for?

Onion
29-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Great idea. Pat Stanton should not have to put himself forward, he should be invited into the fold as a valuable council for the Board. Cannot think of anyone living who has given more to Hibernian FC than Pat or a better ambassador for the club.

Make it Happen.

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Sorry Life President doesn't do it for me.
Sounds a bit like giving someone an honorary degree.

Pat Stanton is worth much much more than that.

The club has had over 20 years, to get Pat Stanton officially recognized (A place on the Board) and it hasn't done it.
Now, let us take that decision away from them. Let us as the Hibs supporters, get Pat Stanton the position he so richly deserves

A Full Board Member. Nothing less.

I think it is being rather condescending for people to say they don't want Pat to suffer any abuse from the supporters.
Let Pat decide on that one. Remember he was once our manager and suffered abuse then, and can manage it again.
Frank and Amit have managed the abuse, so why not Pat ?

Surely it can't be an age thing can it ? I doubt the fans think he is too old or out of touch ? Never !
Pat Stanton is a Football man, a man with a wealth of knowledge, knowledge that other clubs would give their right arms for.

Think of this. Pat Stanton or Craig Levein ? One is on the outside looking in and the other is supposedly calling all the football shots at Tynecastle. I know who has the more football knowledge. By a long long way.

Before I get shot down and reminded that it is a fans rep we are voting for, I will say I disagree.
We are voting to get someone onto the board of Hibernian football club.

Why do people need a middleman to approach the club with concerns or ideas ?
I have found them very approachable. Get a suggestions box in the reception area at ER ,another at the Hibs club and an online version.

I don't believe for a minute that "fans reps" have had influence on the big decisions, because they have no power and we are kidding ourselves if we believe that they do.

The only way we get real power in the boardroom is by increasing supporters shareholding
ie 20% and 26%

Patrick Gordon Stanton Captain - Manager - Director

Come on ! Do the right thing vote in your droves for a Hibs legend

:flag:

That's right, it will be just like giving him an honourary degree .... what's wrong with that?

Its certainly not an age thing, though it does concern me and a lot of other people that being social media savvy is a vital part of the role he is applying for and so far as we know Pat doesn't do the internet.

Pat is applying for a spot on the board as one of two 'fans representatives' that's what the role is defined as, which IMO means being in tune with what the fans are talking about and telling us what actions the board are prepared to take to recognise and take action on fans concerns ....... in the 21st century social media is an unavoidable part of that process and club legend or not I for one would be more inclined to cast my vote for whoever I think is up to speed in that area.

I said in the OP that I'm sure Pat has enough about him that he can easily handle any flak that came his way as a result of being elected to one of these posts ...... The point of the post was that I as an admirer of such a legendary figure would rather not see him put in a position where he was getting abuse from Hibs supporters.

I never get this 'so and so is a football man' mantra either ................ some of the dumbest most ill advised decisions in the history of the game have been made by people who could fit that description and some of the worst managers in football history, including in the history of this club have been involved in the game as players and coaches since they were in short trousers and could have been described as 'real football men' ..... who could deny that Terry Butcher was a real football man.

lucky
30-01-2017, 05:30 AM
Id support an honorary President role for Pat but not sure why we'd pay him. He's chosen to stand for a directors role which is in the main about giving fans a voice in the boardroom. I just don't see Pat Stanton as the voice of the support. All we've heard from him is his statement, where is his engagement with the support he wants to represent? He is and always will be a club legend but shouldn't be standing for this role.

et vireta
30-01-2017, 07:40 AM
naturally i am going to agree that Pat SHOULD have been on the board years ago.

He knows and loves Hibs just as much as we do and as the op states he is the last legend living that Hibs can call their own. I know that by standing for the fans rep he will be accepted on to the board just with the supporters voting him on.
He graced the jersey for many years and led a group of players by example and showed all that followed Hibs just how much it meant to him to be captain of that club.

Being manager was a great honour for such a humble guy and the lack of funding led to him resigning as he couldnt do his best for the club he loved.

Over the years Hibs have had chances galore to honour him or create a job of some responsibility for him to carry the mantle in projecting the image of the club.
In my opinion Pat has always been too popular with the support and there have been times when some at Easter Road have considered him a threat to their position with that popularity. Pat Stanton is worth more to that club than having him running messages and doing the banking and its time the club looked to him as a prized asset in their determination to connect with the support and surrounding communities.

When and not IF he gets on to the board he will take in the moans and groans of us supporters and his head will lead his heart in what he knows needs said. He is no, yes man by any means. Because he is quiet in thought, does not mean he will go along with things he thinks to be wrong!

The supporters know him and can identify with the background he came from and has never left behind. He is one of them and Hibs need to harness the pride and the passion he has for the Hibs for the benefit of the club's future.

I think you know who i will be voting for?

My thoughts entirely.

Just to add, there is this myth that you have to be social media savvy to operate in this world.
Utter tosh ! How did we operate without the internet and mobile phones for example. Exist we did.
If Pat needs some help on that front I can assure there will be a lot of people coming forward to offer their services as his official PA ! lol

This election is not about "fans reps" its about electing someone on to the board.
As I said earlier there is no power with this appt but there is honour.
Give the honour to someone most deserving.

Finally, I hope ALL the Hibs support turn out and vote not just those who read forums.

Forza Fred
30-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Many of us have wanted to see Pat appointed to the board for a number of years.

Honorary President would be fine, but the reality is that the only way Pat is going to be appointed to the board is if we vote him in as one of the fans reps.

I hope those who get a vote take the opportunity to vote him on the board, as it ain't gonna happen otherwise.

Forza Fred
30-01-2017, 09:03 AM
My thoughts entirely.

Just to add, there is this myth that you have to be social media savvy to operate in this world.
Utter tosh ! How did we operate without the internet and mobile phones for example. Exist we did.
If Pat needs some help on that front I can assure there will be a lot of people coming forward to offer their services as his official PA ! lol

This election is not about "fans reps" its about electing someone on to the board.

Finally, I hope ALL the Hibs support turn out and vote not just those who read forums.

Whatever we may agree or disagree about, I think what is clear is that there are confusing/conflicting views about what exactly the role is meant to be.

Certainly your view appears to be in direct contradiction with what Leann posted as the 'duty statement' on the official site.

et vireta
30-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Many of us have wanted to see Pat appointed to the board for a number of years.

Honorary President would be fine, but the reality is that the only way Pat is going to be appointed to the board is if we vote him in as one of the fans reps.

I hope those who get a vote take the opportunity to vote him on the board, as it ain't gonna happen otherwise.

Fred, great post. Its the harsh reality of the situation.

Hibs fans have the power to honour Pat Stanton.

Get him on the board and let us all move forward together.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 09:12 AM
My thoughts entirely.

That's not the case. Each board member has the same vote as every other. I'm also pretty sure that no-one on the Board does it for some sort of sense of "honour".

Islington Hibs
30-01-2017, 09:15 AM
I am very torn as to whether to vote for him or not. He is clearly a legend and as the original poster points out should be treated as such. I would be happy with Hon. President or something similar.

I am not sure that he is right for this role and am inclined to support a 'rank and file' fan- not sure who yet- but it would also be quite insulting to him not to vote for him given his immense contribution to the club. I wish he had not put his name forward and am not at all sure what he is trying to achieve?

bigwheel
30-01-2017, 09:21 AM
That's not the case. Each board member has the same vote as every other. I'm also pretty sure that no-one on the Board does it for some sort of sense of "honour".

Whilst technically true your point above, a company board is not a democracy. The power at Hibs is held by the major shareholder. On this board that is his trusted advisor Rod Petrie. Leeann will have a strong voice too as Chief Exec....not saying that everyone's opinion isn't considered around the board, but it won't be a "majority vote" situation on anything material. They will debate, seek consensus..and if not there will be a decision made.

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Id support an honorary President role for Pat but not sure why we'd pay him. He's chosen to stand for a directors role which is in the main about giving fans a voice in the boardroom. I just don't see Pat Stanton as the voice of the support. All we've heard from him is his statement, where is his engagement with the support he wants to represent? He is and always will be a club legend but shouldn't be standing for this role.

Agree entirely. No disrepect but does Pat even go along to matches, how does he communicate with the support, apart from if he is doing a corporate events role?

et vireta
30-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Whilst technically true your point above, a company board is not a democracy. The power at Hibs is held by the major shareholder. On this board that is his trusted advisor Rod Petrie. Leeann will have a strong voice too as Chief Exec....not saying that everyone's opinion isn't considered around the board, but it won't be a "majority vote" situation on anything material. They will debate, seek consensus..and if not there will be a decision made.

That was what I was meaning earlier in a post when I made ref to 20% and 26%

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Yep, that's true, but I was responding more to the assertion that there is "honour" rather than power. Were that the case, there wouldn't be any point in having a Board in the first place, let alone supporters' reps.

bigwheel
30-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Yep, that's true, but I was responding more to the assertion that there is "honour" rather than power. Were that the case, there wouldn't be any point in having a Board in the first place, let alone supporters' reps.

ah, fair point...:aok:

et vireta
30-01-2017, 10:28 AM

I'm clear on the power bit but confused on your take regarding honour ?
I certainly would feel honoured to serve on the board of Hibernian football club.
People certainly place a lot of importance on honour. This thread started by asking for the role Honoury life President !

Now please no talk of the New Years Honours list ! :wink::flag:

--------
30-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Honorary Life President with an ex-officio seat on the Board?

I don't think this is about 'power' - it's about recognising the greatest living Hibs player, a man who's still actively involved in the club, who represented his country with dignity and who has the respect of many many Hibs supporters. (I can't speak for everyone so I won't say 'all' though I've yet to meet a Hibs supporter who doesn't respect Pat

However, since Pat had put himself forward as a fans' representative, it would seem that his preference is that he should be voted onto the Board rather than appointed. Maybe we should respect that - and let the votes fall as they will? He seems prepared to go down that road.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm clear on the power bit but confused on your take regarding honour ?
I certainly would feel honoured to serve on the board of Hibernian football club.
People certainly place a lot of importance on honour. This thread started by asking for the role Honoury life President !

Now please no talk of the New Years Honours list ! :wink::flag:

If you look back, you said that there was no power, but there was honour... and there was then a discussion about the extent of power.

I didn't say that there was no honour.

jdships
30-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Honorary Life President with an ex-officio seat on the Board?

I don't think this is about 'power' - it's about recognising the greatest living Hibs player, a man who's still actively involved in the club, who represented his country with dignity and who has the respect of many many Hibs supporters. (I can't speak for everyone so I won't say 'all' though I've yet to meet a Hibs supporter who doesn't respect Pat

However, since Pat had put himself forward as a fans' representative, it would seem that his preference is that he should be voted onto the Board rather than appointed. He seems prepared to go down that road.

Honorary Life President is an " appointment" that revolves round how /what people think of your efforts/service to the organisation
In other words it has to be earned
Question is , surely, who has the right to say he has/has not earned the " title" ?
:rolleyes:

superfurryhibby
30-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Honorary Life President is an " appointment" that revolves round how /what people think of your efforts/service to the organisation
In other words it has to be earned
Question is , surely, who has the right to say he has/has not earned the " title" ?
:rolleyes:

In the case of Hibernian FC, it would seem that this is a decision that rests with Tom Farmer.

I think it is getting a wee bit messy now and in my view the decision should have been taken to grant Pat Stanton an accolade which reflects the man's contribution to Hibs, as a player, manager and ambassador. Given that the fans and HSL now own a fair chunk of the club, in my view the popular sentiment needs to be taken into account.

Pat's support for those who wanted change (Kane and the like) is probably a barrier to the club making the decision that I would imagine 99% of all fans want. Maybe time for the club to grasp the nettle on this one.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 11:16 AM
In the case of Hibernian FC, it would seem that this is a decision that rests with Tom Farmer.

I think it is getting a wee bit messy now and in my view the decision should have been taken to grant Pat Stanton an accolade which reflects the man's contribution to Hibs, as a player, manager and ambassador. Given that the fans and HSL now own a fair chunk of the club, in my view the popular sentiment needs to be taken into account.

Pat's support for those who wanted change (Kane and the like) is probably a barrier to the club making the decision that I would imagine 99% of all fans want. Maybe time for the club to grasp the nettle on this one.

Yep, that's a fly in the ointment for me, too. There's bridges that have to be built, and crossed, on both sides.

et vireta
30-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Yep, that's a fly in the ointment for me, too. There's bridges that have to be built, and crossed, on both sides.

At last ! lol After a lot of discussion I now understand what your problem with Pat Stanton is (Your fly in the ointment). His involvement with Paul Kane etc. Well that proposition never went anywhere.

It said a lot for Pat Stanton to stand up speak out and be counted.

It says even more for the man that he is prepared to sit down and break bread with some of the people who he spoke out against.

Let the bridges be built now by getting Pat on the board and let Rod and Leanne welcome him with open arms.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 06:04 PM
At last ! lol After a lot of discussion I now understand what your problem with Pat Stanton is (Your fly in the ointment). His involvement with Paul Kane etc. Well that proposition never went anywhere.

It said a lot for Pat Stanton to stand up speak out and be counted.

It says even more for the man that he is prepared to sit down and break bread with some of the people who he spoke out against.

Let the bridges be built now by getting Pat on the board and let Rod and Leanne welcome him with open arms.

To clarify, it's not "my problem". It's my interpretation of what the problem might be for some, both within the club and within the support.

et vireta
30-01-2017, 06:40 PM
To clarify, it's not "my problem". It's my interpretation of what the problem might be for some, both within the club and within the support.

Cheers Crops thats cleared it up.

You confused me by just underlining the little bit " Pats support for those who wanted change (Kane and the like)

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2017, 07:35 PM
My thoughts entirely.

Bury your head in the sand all you want mate ..... the advent of the internet and social media has changed the world utterly .... it is by far the best and most inclusive way to engage with and monitor the mood of supporters, not exclusively but certainly more importantly than any other medium.

Examples:
How long do you think it would have taken to gather 1,500,000 signatures on a petition against a US president 20 years ago? The Dnipro charity raised more than the target it had set for donations to help Ira Polyashova in her hour of need within a week purely because of social media and a lot of those donations came from far further afield than Edinburgh .... Ignore the significance and power of social media at you're peril. This isn't coming from some wet behind the years whipper snapper, I'll be 57 years old in 4 weeks time.

You are totally wrong in your opinion of what these elections are about ....... the two people who win will indeed be elected to the board as the 'fans reps' that was the whole idea behind this in the first place, that the wider support would have a voice in the boardroom to put forward our concerns and ideas and that these 'reps' would communicate back to the fans what the board had decided on each issue raised ...... not just as a couple of mutes to sit there and help Hibs tick a box, which is practically what you are suggesting.

Its is 'an honour' but the honour is being selected by the supporters to represent them, not the place on the board that gives you.

et vireta
31-01-2017, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;4924711]Bury your head in the sand all you want mate ..... the advent of the internet and social media has changed the world utterly .... it is by far the best and most inclusive way to engage with and monitor the mood of supporters, not exclusively but certainly more importantly than any other medium.

Examples:
How long do you think it would have taken to gather 1,500,000 signatures on a petition against a US president 20 years ago? The Dnipro charity raised more than the target it had set for donations to help Ira Polyashova in her hour of need within a week purely because of social media and a lot of those donations came from far further afield than Edinburgh .... Ignore the significance and power of social media at you're peril. This isn't coming from some wet behind the years whipper snapper, I'll be 57 years old in 4 weeks time.

You are totally wrong in your opinion of what these elections are about ....... the two people who win will indeed be elected to the board as the 'fans reps' that was the whole idea behind this in the first place, that the wider support would have a voice in the boardroom to put forward our concerns and ideas and that these 'reps' would communicate back to the fans what the board had decided on each issue raised ...... not just as a couple of mutes to sit there and help Hibs tick a box, which is practically what you are suggesting.

Its is 'an honour' but the honour is being selected by the supporters to represent them, not the place on the board that gives you.[/QUOT

I agree with you that the "advent of the internet and social media has changed the world utterly" so I am not quite sure why you think I am burying my head in the sand. In fact my comment acknowledged this by suggesting that if Pat needs a little help with this perhaps someone could help. I have no issues with the examples you highlighted.

What some on here are not grasping is that these are not some kind of special roles on the Board of the Club they are Non Executive Directors of the Club and their roles and responsibilities are defined by law. Their fiduciary duties are paramount, they are not at liberty to place the interests of one set of stakeholders ( the fans ) before others no matter what you might think or what the marketing statements from the Club might suggest. This means that from time to time they may have to support a course of action which may on the face of it be at odds with the views of some fans. The other Directors of the Club are also "fans reps" and should be making the same efforts to understand and connect with the fans.The only difference here is that these Directors are being appointed on the back of a vote, but this whole process has been approved by the Board which itself has been appointed by the Principal Shareholders. All of that is normal.

Let me make it clear, my support for Pat Stanton is not based on sentiment it is based on the belief that he will bring qualities and attributes to the Board that we do not currently have. Pat's very presence can attract interest to the Club, and sometimes that means money, which I don't any of the other candidates can do. E]