PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon Interview

et vireta
28-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Just finished reading article in The Scotsman which is an interview with Neil Lennon.

What an open, honest and at times inspiring piece !

Neil could become one of the great Hibs managers and lead us to further glory. I also feel with him at the helm we are now thinking and acting again as a big club.

Lets all do our bit and get as much money as we can to give Neil Lennon to get in the players to take us to another level.

If more people signed up to HSL and paid even the minimum per month of £7.73 his transfer war chest would be improved.

Let Neil compete against Cathro without having one hand tied up behind his back.

Come on Hibbys lets do it for Neil and for Hibs !

Greenworld
28-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Link?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Greenworld
28-01-2017, 07:09 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/championship/interview-neil-lennon-on-trainspotting-and-a-cup-sequel-bid-1-4350987

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
28-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Very good read. Interesting to note he had to change his approach which resulted in taking the players out to bring them and him closer together, also that his use of the hairdryer treatment was ineffective because the players potentially expected that from him.

I've definitely warmed to Lennon as the season has progressed.

Just Alf
28-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Very good read. Interesting to note he had to change his approach which resulted in taking the players out to bring them and him closer together, also that his use of the hairdryer treatment was ineffective because the players potentially expected that from him.

I've definitely warmed to Lennon as the season has progressed.

A good read indeed :aok:

ano hibby
28-01-2017, 07:33 AM
Well worth a read.
Expect some Portuguese signings :)

SirDavidsNapper
28-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Good read. Seems a decent bloke and comes across well. I think he's starting to see what this club is all about and it's maybe surprised him a bit. I was a bit sceptical a few weeks ago but things seem to be clicking. Could end up being a cracking manager for us.

Canon Hannan
28-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Just finished reading article in The Scotsman which is an interview with Neil Lennon.

What an open, honest and at times inspiring piece !

Neil could become one of the great Hibs managers and lead us to further glory. I also feel with him at the helm we are now thinking and acting again as a big club.

Lets all do our bit and get as much money as we can to give Neil Lennon to get in the players to take us to another level.

If more people signed up to HSL and paid even the minimum per month of £7.73 his transfer war chest would be improved.

Let Neil compete against Cathro without having one hand tied up behind his back.

Come on Hibbys lets do it for Neil and for Hibs !

Our manager is Hibs class.

JimBHibees
28-01-2017, 07:43 AM
Really good read. Actually really like him, open, honest and intelligent. We are fortunate he is the manager of our great club IMO.

Scorrie
28-01-2017, 07:50 AM
A great read and I really hope he stays for the long term. Confirms what we know about Darren McGregor as well!

Canon Hannan
28-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Really good read. Actually really like him, open, honest and intelligent. We are fortunate he is the manager of our great club IMO.

Been saying that for months Jim and ripped to bits for it! Maybe they have changed their views or have underlying reasons themselves. Could name them but maybe they will come forward to confession 🙏😂

tamig
28-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Been saying that for months Jim and ripped to bits for it! Maybe they have changed their views or have underlying reasons themselves. Could name them but maybe they will come forward to confession 🙏😂

I think there's only a pretty small number of doubters on here to be fair, albeit they can be quite vocal at times.

mjhibby
28-01-2017, 08:12 AM
What Lennon has had to put up with is nothing short of scandalous but he seems to be happy at his work and is focussed on winning the league and defending the cup. Seems to be more thoughtful now hes away from the Glasgow goldfish bowl. Hopefully he sees hibs as challenging at the top end of the SPL and in later stages of the cups although Celtic seem on a different planet to everybody else. If/when we go up it could be very interesting to see what players he could bring in as he obviously had loads of contacts. A very enjoyable and interesting interview.

Super_JMcGinn
28-01-2017, 08:46 AM
What Lennon has had to put up with is nothing short of scandalous but he seems to be happy at his work and is focussed on winning the league and defending the cup. Seems to be more thoughtful now hes away from the Glasgow goldfish bowl. Hopefully he sees hibs as challenging at the top end of the SPL and in later stages of the cups although Celtic seem on a different planet to everybody else. If/when we go up it could be very interesting to see what players he could bring in as he obviously had loads of contacts. A very enjoyable and interesting interview.

Neil Lennon as a celtic player / manager was a guy I couldn't stand, some of his antics were nothing short of disgraceful imo and he should have known better that his actions had far reaching consequences away from the football field.

As Hibernian manager I wish him nothing short of huge success but I would suggest he is the one lucky to be managing our great club and not the other way around as some seem to think.

Alfiembra
28-01-2017, 09:05 AM
As Hibernian manager I wish him nothing short of huge success but I would suggest he is the one lucky to be managing our great club and not the other way around as some seem to think.

Thought it was a good article, and he does finish by saying he feels very priveliged to be manager.

sleeping giant
28-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the link.

Great wee read

H18 SFR
28-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Brilliant interview, I've said it all along, long before he came to us that he is a very articulate individual.

I like his point about 11 Darren McGregors - can you actually imagine the passion and drive in a team like that?

hibbysam
28-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Neil Lennon as a celtic player / manager was a guy I couldn't stand, some of his antics were nothing short of disgraceful imo and he should have known better that his actions had far reaching consequences away from the football field.

So you don't think we, as a club, are lucky to have a manager of the calibre of Neil Lennon in charge? Strange.

Baw187
28-01-2017, 09:21 AM

I get the sense he realises that but of course, we will be lucky if this continues to develop in to the good match up between club and manager as it appears to be. I think he gets us and what it means to be at Hibs and the culture of our club. And he buys in to it which is what we've missed with a lot of previous managers.

JimBHibees
28-01-2017, 09:23 AM

Never really liked him as a player but would have loved him in our team however can't really remember his antics you talk about. If standing up to mccoist is one then good on him IMO. You don't appear to appreciate that he has had to put up with some of the worst forms of hatred in this country. Personally think he comes over well.

Brunswickbill
28-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Didn't realise that it was called dog poo in muirhouse.

Canon Hannan
28-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Never really liked him as a player but would have loved him in our team however can't really remember his antics you talk about. If standing up to mccoist is one then good on him IMO. You don't appear to appreciate that he has had to put up with some of the worst forms of hatred in this country. Personally think he comes over well.

Jim you are wasting your time on SirDavidofGray previously Gail but changed the name. That person has Rangers friends and comes
from Falkirk area. There is a strong anti Catholic feeling out there which is the shame of Scotland. Our manager is respected by the vast majority of Hibs fans and hopefully we can keep him as he has potential to lead the mighty Hibees onwards 👍
What he suffered in the past is scandalous and some of the Sevco orientated people will always find ways to blame the man himself instead of the hate itself. Let's not hide from the fact he was hated for being Captain of NI a Catholic and Celtic player. Respect to him for playing through the hurdles and hate until in the end his family and himself were threatened with murder! But then trying to get SirDavidofGray/Gail to admit this is harder than getting a Jambo to wish us well when we play them soon. Like most on here I am glad he is our manager and respect his battle with his depression and the wider hate in Scottish society. A hero of mine and a Hibby 👍

Betty Boop
28-01-2017, 09:57 AM

Aw dry your eyes people have different opinions get over yourself.

chrisski33
28-01-2017, 10:01 AM
A good read and glad hes our manager.

bigwheel
28-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Been saying that for months Jim and ripped to bits for it! Maybe they have changed their views or have underlying reasons themselves. Could name them but maybe they will come forward to confession [emoji120][emoji23]

Your support of Lennon hasn't wavered since he come in ...in fact well before we saw anything in the team performance to give a sense that he was getting there...So it always felt a bit "blind" loyalty tbh...delighted to see him starting to make some progress...look forward to seeing it continue..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Yet another fantastic interview.

He absolutely gets us. Top man.

Canon Hannan
28-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Your support of Lennon hasn't wavered since he come in ...in fact well before we saw anything in the team performance to give a sense that he was getting there...So it always felt a bit "blind" loyalty tbh...delighted to see him starting to make some progress...look forward to seeing it continue..

Having good football connections and been involved for long enough to see quality. That's my reason my friend. But will happily take blind loyalty as a compliment.

Elephant Stone
28-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Not enjoying hearing "the league is the priority". Heard that a few times now. Obviously getting promoted is more important than winning the cup this season but do we need to prioritise? If we beat Hearts then (barring any quarter final replays) we'd have an extra two games at most to play in the cup before the Championship season finishes.

As far as ambition, preparation and desire go I hope we're looking at the league and the cup in the same way. I want to win it again and we're good enough to win it again.

Nicho87
28-01-2017, 10:25 AM
But the league was the priority last season and we still won the cup. Managers have to keep players focused on there week to week games. Once the cup is here i cant see lennon or the players for one second if we lose, oh well. Come on now.

bigwheel
28-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Having good football connections and been involved for long enough to see quality. That's my reason my friend. But will happily take blind loyalty as a compliment.

Well Father Edward Hannan...I hope your judgement turns out to be spot on...I still have a wee question mark over the quality of the whole coaching team, compared to last year...rather than any Lennon concerns....

heretoday
28-01-2017, 11:22 AM
He's a clever man and a disciplined one. He's had some horrendous things to cope with and has surmounted them.

Personally, I'm glad he's in the job rather than Stubbsy, bless him.

SRHibs
28-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Being Catholic is no reason to dislike someone, and vice versa. The sooner people stop bringing up religion on this forum the better. It's only a few who do so now, to be fair.

As for Lennon, I'm in the same boat as most; disliked him then, like him now. Not necessarily just because he's the Hibs manager (although that helps) but he seems to have matured a bit and generally comes across as likeable in the media now.

Keith_M
28-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Jim you are wasting your time on SirDavidofGray previously Gail but changed the name. That person has Rangers friends and comes
from Falkirk area. There is a strong anti Catholic feeling out there which is the shame of Scotland. Our manager is respected by the vast majority of Hibs fans and hopefully we can keep him as he has potential to lead the mighty Hibees onwards 👍
What he suffered in the past is scandalous and some of the Sevco orientated people will always find ways to blame the man himself instead of the hate itself. Let's not hide from the fact he was hated for being Captain of NI a Catholic and Celtic player. Respect to him for playing through the hurdles and hate until in the end his family and himself were threatened with murder! But then trying to get SirDavidofGray/Gail to admit this is harder than getting a Jambo to wish us well when we play them soon. Like most on here I am glad he is our manager and respect his battle with his depression and the wider hate in Scottish society. A hero of mine and a Hibby 👍

I'm no great fan of Gail's comments but she does have a point with some of his past actions. The Referee's strike was almost solely down to his Celtc minded paranoia, which he seemed to buy into big style when he was there.

I have no issues with him being Hibs manager and nothing against him personally but let's not sweep past events under the carpet and cry bigotry at every turn.

monktonharp
28-01-2017, 11:35 AM

.do expand, on the antics you refer to:confused: If you are talking about the nose to nose situation with Mc Coist, who knows what was said to him? that is the only "antic" I can remember other than a half wit trying to assault him at the wongadome?

Glorious St Pat
28-01-2017, 11:36 AM

Spot on Hannan. Ex Cardinal O'Brien was spot on IMO when he talked about bigotry in Scotland - pointing the finger of blame at those who spout anti-Catholic sentiment.

Keith_M
28-01-2017, 11:36 AM
do expand, on the antics you refer to:confused: If you are talking about the nose to nose situation with Mc Coist, who knows what was said to him? that is the only "antic" I can remember other than a half wit trying to assault him at the wongadome?

See my comment above.

givescotlandfreedom
28-01-2017, 11:52 AM
do expand, on the antics you refer to:confused: If you are talking about the nose to nose situation with Mc Coist, who knows what was said to him? that is the only "antic" I can remember other than a half wit trying to assault him at the wongadome?

NL as celtic player/boss could be a bawbag. I seem to recall him as a player trying to rile Sauzee and successfully shouting at the ref to send him off over nothing. Another example was him as celtic boss mouthing off into the Hibs support when Emilio Izaguirre tried to get Ivan sent off by pretending Sproule had him in the face right in front of the dugout. Sproule hadn't touched him. The Hibs fans had every right or be angry about it and NL did himself no favours by spending large sections of the game trying to noise up the Hibs support. Not a huge deal and it doesn't affect how I feel about him now, just saying he could be an arse at times and noticing that doesn't automatically make someone a bigot.

Jack Hackett
28-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Neil Lennon....Hibs Manager!

Pinch me :not worth

Lago
28-01-2017, 12:47 PM

A somewhat grudging endorsement of our manager from you, but then that has been your position from the start.

jacomo
28-01-2017, 02:30 PM
A somewhat grudging endorsement of our manager from you, but then that has been your position from the start.

It doesn't matter what other people think, only what NL thinks.

And he says it's a privilege to be our manager - good enough for me.

Rougier45
28-01-2017, 02:54 PM

What antics ?

marinello59
28-01-2017, 03:45 PM
What antics ?

He showed passion.

Rougier45
28-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Exactly if anyone is anti Lennon can they keep it to themselves this is a site for Hibs supporters

hfc rd
28-01-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm glad this guy is our manager. Don't give a crap about his Celtic connections. If he does the business at Hibs, which he's doing right now, then that will do me.

southsider
28-01-2017, 04:47 PM
I'm glad this guy is our manager. Don't give a crap about his Celtic connections. If he does the business at Hibs, which he's doing right now, then that will do me.
And me. Installed a winning mentality into our team. Knows his job and am delighted he is at ER.

Hi Heid Yin
28-01-2017, 04:49 PM
My respect for Lennon grows deeper with every passing win and stretching of our lead at the top of the league. If he can maintan our recent domination of the Jambos and put them out the cup (again!) I'm sure his remaining doubters will come onboard.

pacoluna
28-01-2017, 05:19 PM
My respect for Lennon grows deeper with every passing win and stretching of our lead at the top of the league. If he can maintan our recent domination of the Jambos and put them out the cup (again!) I'm sure his remaining doubters will come onboard.

I find it hard to believe there are still any doubters, if so it's obviously a personal dislike.

chrisski33
28-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Thats tosh about there being alot of hate towards Catholics in the Falkirk area. I live there and theres no hatred

Canon Hannan
28-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Thats tosh about there being alot of hate towards Catholics in the Falkirk area. I live there and theres no hatred

Obviously not one then. West Lothian and Falkirk area is Sevco Central. I lived in Bo'ness and it was shocking. 4 primary schools marching at fair day with people booing young catholic kids aged 7 and 8. Plus little girls being spat on by parents for wearing a green uniform. It is Scotlands shame and the haters are out there. But this is a Hibs forum and I would rather talk about that. It's something we need to eradicate and not ignore.

jabis
28-01-2017, 06:44 PM
NL as celtic player/boss could be a bawbag. I seem to recall him as a player trying to rile Sauzee and successfully shouting at the ref to send him off over nothing. Another example was him as celtic boss mouthing off into the Hibs support when Emilio Izaguirre tried to get Ivan sent off by pretending Sproule had him in the face right in front of the dugout. Sproule hadn't touched him. The Hibs fans had every right or be angry about it and NL did himself no favours by spending large sections of the game trying to noise up the Hibs support. Not a huge deal and it doesn't affect how I feel about him now, just saying he could be an arse at times and noticing that doesn't automatically make someone a bigot.

Glad he's our manager.

SuperAllyMcleod
28-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Being Catholic is no reason to dislike someone, and vice versa. The sooner people stop bringing up religion on this forum the better. It's only a few who do so now, to be fair.

As for Lennon, I'm in the same boat as most; disliked him then, like him now. Not necessarily just because he's the Hibs manager (although that helps) but he seems to have matured a bit and generally comes across as likeable in the media now.

I'm confused, disliking someone is no reason to be catholic? [emoji45]

I do agree that religion is a decision for each individual and has no place on a football forum.

I also agree with your Lennon comments - I'd actually started to warm to him in his final season with Celtic - I felt he started to show more maturity at that point - possibly the removal of The Rangers from the top division helped.

bingo70
28-01-2017, 06:45 PM
There's been times I've been ciritical of him and I admit to losing my nerve when Utd caught us.

I'm completely won over now though, and not just because of this very good article.

Beat hearts in the cup and get us promoted and there won't be one doubter left imo.

Lago
28-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Me too, best bit of business LD did in convincing him to come to Hibs. Fully expect him to take us up as league winners, hopefully he will decide to stay with Hibs in the long term.

SRHibs
28-01-2017, 06:57 PM
I'm confused, disliking someone is no reason to be catholic? [emoji45]

I do agree that religion is a decision for each individual and has no place on a football forum.

I also agree with your Lennon comments - I'd actually started to warm to him in his final season with Celtic - I felt he started to show more maturity at that point - possibly the removal of The Rangers from the top division helped.

I've just realised how badly I worded that first sentence. Oops. Basically someone's (Lennon in this case) religion should be an utter irrelevance when it comes to what they're judged on.

wookie70
28-01-2017, 07:19 PM
I was uncertain about Lennon's appointment at the time. Two thirds of the way through the season I think I have maybe moved from 50/50 to 60/40 in his favour. The league is far worse than last year and I think we are pretty much the same as last year. Stubbs would have been 55/45 in my opinion at this time last year. We were 5 points behind the Rangers around now and given the relative spending power than was probably doing a decent job. I would view our league form as similar this year and the 8 point gap is maybe a bit better than par for our spending power over UTD.

Fast forward a few weeks though and I was "stick with Stubbs till the end of the year but he has to go then". After the Cup I was back to being about 50/50.

Lennon's job is to get the favourites to win the league. He is certainly doing his job and starting to perform at a higher than expected level. Hopefully, by the end of the year we have won the league comfortably and have had a good cup run in 1 of the 4 we competed in. At that point Lennon could be viewed as a success and we could start to think about a good top league season. Long way to go before that but I hope for us he is successful. I also hope he is successful as he seems a very decent guy and speaks very well about football and Hibs.

Super_JMcGinn
28-01-2017, 07:36 PM

There's only 1 poster who brings up the catholic theme regularly on here and it is out of order if you ask me. I've put it on ignore before I say something I regret.

Super_JMcGinn
28-01-2017, 07:40 PM
He showed passion.

When he played at ER against us I don't think we viewed his behaviour as passion. I remember one game where he got to Broonie or Thommo when we were 2-0 up and got 1 of them sent off.

He was forever at referees and I for one wouldn't put him as a role model for any youngsters out there. You can show passion without abusing fellow pros and referees.

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Spot on Hannan. Ex Cardinal O'Brien was spot on IMO when he talked about bigotry in Scotland - pointing the finger of blame at those who spout anti-Catholic sentiment.

You'll forgive me if I don't use O'Brien as a moral compass.

guthrie01
28-01-2017, 07:42 PM
I'll admit to being a doubter in his management skills for the period of games where we went on a stretch of winless games. Felt he needed to step up and show his worth at the Falkirk and United games which in fairness he did to a great extent. I am now confident in his ability to get us promoted to the top league and will support him 100%

Think his real strengths will show next season, and do hope he gets the boards full support in signing his targets. We can really build onto something great with the club in it's current state and I do believe he is the right man to help us in doing so.

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2017, 07:44 PM
He showed passion.

He also showed his beer belly after a European game. Now THAT was an antic....:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
28-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Like many on this board, I'm particularly interested in his thoughts on his depression. It's been said many times before, but for a man in his position to be so out and honest about it is admirable, and an example to so many.

Baldy Foghorn
28-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Like many on this board, I'm particularly interested in his thoughts on his depression. It's been said many times before, but for a man in his position to be so out and honest about is admirable, and an example to so many.

:agree::agree: Spot on

FitbaFolkKen
28-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Big fan of Lennon, hope we can keep him long enough to build a successful 4/5 years

Baldy Foghorn
28-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Big fan of Lennon, hope we can keep him long enough to build a successful 4/5 years

Snap

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
28-01-2017, 08:57 PM
There's only 1 poster who brings up the catholic theme regularly on here and it is out of order if you ask me. I've put it on ignore before I say something I regret.

Im curious as to what you might say, over and above your already reasonable retort, to an overtly catholic hibs fan that you might regret, on a hibs forum?

chrisski33
28-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Obviously not one then. West Lothian and Falkirk area is Sevco Central. I lived in Bo'ness and it was shocking. 4 primary schools marching at fair day with people booing young catholic kids aged 7 and 8. Plus little girls being spat on by parents for wearing a green uniform. It is Scotlands shame and the haters are out there. But this is a Hibs forum and I would rather talk about that. It's something we need to eradicate and not ignore.
You brought the catholic comment up lol

Betty Boop
29-01-2017, 05:24 AM

What a lot of nonsense. I'm sure we would have heard about kids being spat on by parents. Were the police involved ?

et vireta
29-01-2017, 07:06 AM
I started this thread commenting on what I thought was a good article.

I felt the article was about Neil Lennon the man and to a lesser degree Neil Lennon Hibs manager.
I admire the man hugely for talking about issues which are personal to him.

As Hibs manager, I asked that we try and get more money to him to compete with the likes of Cathro at Hearts. I mentioned doing this through HSL.

They points were the thrust of my post.

The thread veered way off this and ended up talking about religion !:confused:

:flag:

HFCdeb
29-01-2017, 07:56 AM
Never doubted him as the right man for the job. I really hope we can keep him for a few years but I respect that he's ambitious. Really enjoyed reading that article and I'm glad he's enjoying Hibs. Would love him to ram it up the ****bos next month in their dump of a stadium 💚

Canon Hannan
29-01-2017, 07:57 AM
I started this thread commenting on what I thought was a good article.

I felt the article was about Neil Lennon the man and to a lesser degree Neil Lennon Hibs manager.
I admire the man hugely for talking about issues which are personal to him.

As Hibs manager, I asked that we try and get more money to him to compete with the likes of Cathro at Hearts. I mentioned doing this through HSL.

They points were the thrust of my post.

The thread veered way off this and ended up talking about religion !:confused:

:flag:

EV unfortunately some people in Scotland dislike our manager because of his religious beliefs. This has been highlighted in this very thread. I didn't want to just sweep this under the carpet. But yes I agree he is a great manager.

eastcoasthibby
29-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Exactly ...everyone has a past ! not sure why some people are so keen to keep dragging it up, maybe as they are happy living on negatives all the time. NL has the right credentials to get us promoted and most of those credentials are what some people are casting up from the past ... bottom line is he is a winner, has a great knowledge of the game, has lots of good contacts ( for signings), he is every resilient and commits his all to what he is doing. If you add to that his learning from previous experience, the respect he has in football terms, his life experience and maturing as a person/manager then we are fortunate to have him managing our club at this time, at a time where it really is do or die in terms of promotion for the club. Let's not kid ourselves about the amount of pressure he is under to get us promoted and has made and will have to make some hard decisions from now til the end of the season because he needs to get it right everytime or the eagles swoop and people bay for his blood. I for one have had a pop at our style of play being not very appealing, but have to say absolutely have got my head round it that its not about attractive football its about getting 3 points every game and getting us up, nothing else matters and from a lot of comments on here now after tight wins .... that message win at all costs is accepted as the most important thing every game. NL sets out to do that every game now, with tweeks to formations and starting 11 reflecting that ... his interviews provide an insight into the person, his thinking and motivation. He is absolutely the right man for the job this season at least ...!! GGTTH

BSEJVT
29-01-2017, 08:52 AM
EV unfortunately some people in Scotland dislike our manager because of his religious beliefs. This has been highlighted in this very thread. I didn't want to just sweep this under the carpet. But yes I agree he is a great manager.

I am sorry but that is IMO total bollocks and you need to stop pedalling that agenda.

Hibs in my 50 odd years of experience are a completely non sectarian club.

I have had my doubts about Lennon's performance as Hibs Manager and expressed them but he is winning me round again and seems to be adapting his style of management.

I have huge personal admiration for him for the way he has dealt with his depression issues and some of the other nonsense he has had to endure.

Religion matters not a jot to me, I have no interest in knowing of people's religious affiliations or in debating them with them, they certainly do not and would not ever colour my judgement on how I viewed them as a person and I would be prepared to bet the ranch on the fact that this applies to at an absolute minimum 95% of the Hibs support.

Btw I absolutely detested James Collins as a Hibs player and have said so often, I truly hope that doesn't mark me out as a bigot towards whatever his particular religion is.

I really wish you would give this anti catholic agenda a rest as I will repeat it is total nonsense in my experience (and for that matter those of my many catholic friends, including my best man)

It might be relevant in your particular neck of the woods, but it is boring the tits of me and we have heard it a hundred times from you on here so please give it a rest.

Rougier45
29-01-2017, 08:57 AM

What are his religious views - I've never heard him mention anything about religion ?

hibs0666
29-01-2017, 08:59 AM

What are these religious beliefs for which he disliked?

Canon Hannan
29-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Exactly ...everyone has a past ! not sure why some people are so keen to keep dragging it up, maybe as they are happy living on negatives all the time. NL has the right credentials to get us promoted and most of those credentials are what some people are casting up from the past ... bottom line is he is a winner, has a great knowledge of the game, has lots of good contacts ( for signings), he is every resilient and commits his all to what he is doing. If you add to that his learning from previous experience, the respect he has in football terms, his life experience and maturing as a person/manager then we are fortunate to have him managing our club at this time, at a time where it really is do or die in terms of promotion for the club. Let's not kid ourselves about the amount of pressure he is under to get us promoted and has made and will have to make some hard decisions from now til the end of the season because he needs to get it right everytime or the eagles swoop and people bay for his blood. I for one have had a pop at our style of play being not very appealing, but have to say absolutely have got my head round it that its not about attractive football its about getting 3 points every game and getting us up, nothing else matters and from a lot of comments on here now after tight wins .... that message win at all costs is accepted as the most important thing every game. NL sets out to do that every game now, with tweeks to formations and starting 11 reflecting that ... his interviews provide an insight into the person, his thinking and motivation. He is absolutely the right man for the job this season at least ...!! GGTTH

Best post of the year East Coast. Positive and clear.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Is Lennon even religious though? Does he hold any beliefs?? I've never once heard him discuss religion since he came to Hibs and I doubt you or anyone else really knows.

It's also irrelevant.

I'm delighted that he's our manager and hope he stays a long time. I don't get the folk that dislike him but if that's their view then fine ( they're just wrong! ).

My guess is that the few on here who really dont like him do so because he's ex-Celtic, not because he's Catholic.

It would be good if everyone just left religion out of the discussion altogether.

bigwheel
29-01-2017, 09:10 AM
This thread has taken a turn.......popcorn open...seat adjusted...

northstandhibby
29-01-2017, 09:55 AM

:top marks

Spot on. Its all about his conduct, managerial skills and results. We are on course to achieve promotion which is the be and end all this season. Beating the Yams would be a huge bonus but is not the overarching objective as last years historic cup win will very probably never be replicated in the way we won it last year, I am of course hoping we will win it again soon. It would be very nice indeed to put out the Yams again and there's no reason why we can't turn them over but its all about promotion this year.

Lenny is on course to become the manager who returns this great club back to the top league and is proving his managerial skill and class.

Glory Glory

One Day
29-01-2017, 10:01 AM

I disagree, the worst anti Irish, anti Catholic bigotry, (apart from Ibrox), I ever experienced was at the old Brockville.

Golden Bear
29-01-2017, 10:07 AM
I am sorry but that is IMO total bollocks and you need to stop pedalling that agenda.

Hibs in my 50 odd years of experience are a completely non sectarian club.

I have had my doubts about Lennon's performance as Hibs Manager and expressed them but he is winning me round again and seems to be adapting his style of management.

I have huge personal admiration for him for the way he has dealt with his depression issues and some of the other nonsense he has had to endure.

Religion matters not a jot to me, I have no interest in knowing of people's religious affiliations or in debating them with them, they certainly do not and would not ever colour my judgement on how I viewed them as a person and I would be prepared to bet the ranch on the fact that this applies to at an absolute minimum 95% of the Hibs support.

Btw I absolutely detested James Collins as a Hibs player and have said so often, I truly hope that doesn't mark me out as a bigot towards whatever his particular religion is.

I really wish you would give this anti catholic agenda a rest as I will repeat it is total nonsense in my experience (and for that matter those of my many catholic friends, including my best man)

It might be relevant in your particular neck of the woods, but it is boring the tits of me and we have heard it a hundred times from you on here so please give it a rest.

Well said that man.

SunshineOnLeith
29-01-2017, 11:36 AM

You brought religion into it.

MrSmith
29-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Opinions are like erseholes - everyone has one!

religion has no place in football and should be left at the turnstile. Lennon has won me over however, there were many occasions as a Celtic player and manager he infuriated me.

FitbaFolkKen
29-01-2017, 12:56 PM
You brought religion into it.

Aye and then says doesn't want to talk about it, very strange.

MWHIBBIES
29-01-2017, 01:03 PM
I couldn't care less about Lennons religion but some of his antics at Celtic were poor. He hounded officials and goaded opposition fans but he has calmed down a lot and I'm enjoying following his Hibs side home and away.

oldbutdim
29-01-2017, 02:15 PM
I disagree, the worst anti Irish, anti Catholic bigotry, (apart from Ibrox), I ever experienced was at the old Brockville.

Always thought Airdrie fans were the worst bigots out with Ipox.

One Day
29-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Always thought Airdrie fans were the worst bigots out with Ipox.

close call

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2017, 03:00 PM
A total dick as a player .... I still remember him booting a Hibs player ( think it was Barry Lavety ) with the ball miles away, it was sly and bloody nasty.

But off the pitch he hasn't had his problems to seek that's for sure. I've had that type of depression he suffers from where everything in your life seems to be going fine and yet you wake up one morning and for no reason whatsoever life just seems to be one big pointless empty black hole ....... in my case it lasted for about 4 months and its incredibly scary because you cant pinpoint an event or reason for the cause of it ..... IMO he was very brave to speak about it.

I wasn't convinced when we gave him the Job, but as the weeks go on he seems to be able to get draws from games that previously would have been losses and wins from games that would have been draws ...... that'll do for me.

Shrekko
29-01-2017, 08:43 PM
Man is doing a fantastic job. Rectified problems that needed attended to and has installed a winning mentality to the team.

Also think he is a really good guy but it doesn't matter if he's not!

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2017, 08:39 AM
A total dick as a player .... I still remember him booting a Hibs player ( think it was Barry Lavety ) with the ball miles away, it was sly and bloody nasty.

But off the pitch he hasn't had his problems to seek that's for sure. I've had that type of depression he suffers from where everything in your life seems to be going fine and yet you wake up one morning and for no reason whatsoever life just seems to be one big pointless empty black hole ....... in my case it lasted for about 4 months and its incredibly scary because you cant pinpoint an event or reason for the cause of it ..... IMO he was very brave to speak about it.

I wasn't convinced when we gave him the Job, but as the weeks go on he seems to be able to get draws from games that previously would have been losses and wins from games that would have been draws ...... that'll do for me.

Has had to endure some horrendous episodes, and I concur with you about depression being a sufferer too.

He is a motivated individual and always happy to have a chat when you see him.

As for the religious context on thread, I am not even aware of Neil's religion, nor should it matter, doesn't even cross my mind (no pun intended)

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Man is doing a fantastic job. Rectified problems that needed attended to and has installed a winning mentality to the team.

Also think he is a really good guy but it doesn't matter if he's not!

:top marks

A Hi-Bee
30-01-2017, 02:49 PM
The guy is a winner with a winners mentality, something that has been lacking at Easter Road in the past, he is the right one and Hibs class.:flag:

Pete
30-01-2017, 03:16 PM
For those who don't know, he's a Northern Irish catholic which is the worst kind in some people's minds. His ginger hair probably annoys them further as it's that little bit more Irish. His "antics" and the fact he's a Celtic man probably just top it off.

Best to do what Neil does and ignore the idiots who have small minds. Same advice goes to those who consider themselves British and are on the end of disdain or abuse from those who let their Nationalism spill over into hatred.

It's good that we are a club that has genuinely welcomed those from (almost) all political persuasions, nationalities and beliefs. Maybe Mr Trump should come to a game and he might learn something :-D

oldbutdim
30-01-2017, 03:50 PM
For those who don't know, he's a Northern Irish catholic which is the worst kind in some people's minds. His ginger hair probably annoys them further as it's that little bit more Irish. His "antics" and the fact he's a Celtic man probably just top it off.

Best to do what Neil does and ignore the idiots who have small minds. Same advice goes to those who consider themselves British and are on the end of disdain or abuse from those who let their Nationalism spill over into hatred.

It's good that we are a club that has genuinely welcomed those from (almost) all political persuasions, nationalities and beliefs. Maybe Mr Trump should come to a game and he might learn something :-D

Nobody told me he has ginger hair.

:confused:

Get rid.
:grr: