PDA

View Full Version : Bit confused with possible Berra swap deal

ozwoody
27-01-2017, 05:55 AM
If Ipswich are considering letting Berra go in a swap deal with a guy that is looking at 10 month out of the game, I suggest Mccarthy needs his marbles checked!
A) He doesn't know if he will be in a job come October
B) no one knows how the injury will heal or what standard he will come back at
C) It will take at least 2 months to get him match fit so now looking at Jan 18!

I can see no return for Ipswich in this,unless its to get a big earner off books but they will still have to pay an injured player and his rehab with no guarantee of end product.
Don't get me wrong, as a Hibs fan I couldnt care less ,as I'm no great fan of Berra but as a football fan it intrigued me.
Massive gamble from where I'm sitting and Ipswich have not got a winning hand.

Smartie
27-01-2017, 06:12 AM
It all makes me think of that time Jack swapped the family cow for some magic beans.

son of haggart
27-01-2017, 06:48 AM
It all makes me think of that time Jack swapped the family cow for some magic beans.

I thought Matty was smarter than that, but there you go...l

Ozyhibby
27-01-2017, 07:02 AM
If Ipswich are considering letting Berra go in a swap deal with a guy that is looking at 10 month out of the game, I suggest Mccarthy needs his marbles checked!
A) He doesn't know if he will be in a job come October
B) no one knows how the injury will heal or what standard he will come back at
C) It will take at least 2 months to get him match fit so now looking at Jan 18!

I can see no return for Ipswich in this,unless its to get a big earner off books but they will still have to pay an injured player and his rehab with no guarantee of end product.
Don't get me wrong, as a Hibs fan I couldnt care less ,as I'm no great fan of Berra but as a football fan it intrigued me.
Massive gamble from where I'm sitting and Ipswich have not got a winning hand.

20 goal a season full backs are pretty rare. There will be people in the game willing to take a gamble on him recovering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allezsauzee
27-01-2017, 07:05 AM
If Ipswich don't want Berra, I would think it's a no lose situation for them

Bostonhibby
27-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Watched Berra get pulled all over the place by non league Lincoln City. Sounds a good deal for ipswich to me.

Steve20
27-01-2017, 07:31 AM
I'd rather have a player that's injured for 10 months than Berra. So, hopefully this goes through for them. Awful defender.

Dunbar Hibee
27-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Isn't Berra Ipswich Captain?:confused:

CapitalGreen
27-01-2017, 09:01 AM
McCarthy might be out the door at Ipswich before Berra!

tamig
27-01-2017, 09:03 AM

No. Luke Chambers.

Dunbar Hibee
27-01-2017, 09:15 AM
No. Luke Chambers.

Fair do's, definitely a regular starter though eh? Why would he want to go back to Hearts?

Wilson
27-01-2017, 09:20 AM
20 goal a season full backs are pretty rare. There will be people in the game willing to take a gamble on him recovering.

I missed the joke I think. CP has never scored 20 goals in a season in senior football. Certainly he wont get near it when he moves up a level.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2017, 09:22 AM
I missed the joke I think. CP has never scored 20 goals in a season in senior football. Certainly he wont get near it when he moves up a level.

He was heading that way this season though.

CropleyWasGod
27-01-2017, 09:26 AM
If Ipswich don't want Berra, I would think it's a no lose situation for them

Not sure that's true, but.

Town manager Mick McCarthy recently dismissed a claim that the Blues were in talks to settle the final six months of Berra’s contract to allow him to return to the SPL side.

“That is just ridiculous,” McCarthy said, speaking 10 days ago. “Have you seen how many players we’ve had recently, the squad and the substitutes we’ve had? And I would be settling up Christophe Berra’s contract, who has played every single game? I don’t think so.

“How ridiculous that rumour is. There are rumours that might be close to the truth, but that’s as far away from the truth as you can get. It’s nuts.”

He added: “We’ve got an option on him to sign him [for a further year], he’s our player for the next 18 months if that’s what we want to do.

“I can’t see any reason why I wouldn’t want to keep Christophe Berra, he’s been different class, he’s arguably been our best defender for the last four years.

“He’s certainly been one of the top ones and has consistently played. He’s staying here as far as I’m concerned.”

- See more at: http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31032/#sthash.x4fF80y0.dpuf

scoopyboy
27-01-2017, 09:29 AM
I've not checked but I thought Berra was out of contract at the end of the season, in which case Hearts wouldn't really be getting anything for Paterson if it was a straight swap.

I don't like it when Hibs are involved in these type of deals.

I remember when Celtic wanted Darren Jackson they were throwing in all kind of trade ins. To his credit Petrie simply declared it you want Jackson you buy him, if we want any of the players you have offered us we will come back and buy them at a later date.

Mikey09
27-01-2017, 09:34 AM
I read an article where Mick McCarthy stated he hoped Hearts were at it as Berra was a regular starter and arguably his best performer over past couple of seasons. He said why would he want to let him go?! Now Hawrts are offering him a long term injured player in exchange!! To be honest big Mick could keep Berra, and wait till the summer and take Paterson off their hands as well for nothing.

Andy74
27-01-2017, 09:40 AM
I've looked into this a wee bit and can confirm I still couldn't give a toss.

CropleyWasGod
27-01-2017, 09:53 AM
I read an article where Mick McCarthy stated he hoped Hearts were at it as Berra was a regular starter and arguably his best performer over past couple of seasons. He said why would he want to let him go?! Now Hawrts are offering him a long term injured player in exchange!! To be honest big Mick could keep Berra, and wait till the summer and take Paterson off their hands as well for nothing.

See above...

Topographic Hibby
27-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Amazed that McCarthy still has a place of employment after the Lincoln game, TBH. Terry HeWhoShouldNotBeNamed called that game embarrassing - and he should know........

NAE NOOKIE
27-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Berra got the run around against Lincoln .... if he's Ipswich's most consistent defender I dread to think what the also rans are like.

As I recall he got Steven Fletcher sent off in a derby by rolling about like a wee lassie after Fletch had looked at him .... another cheating git, you can see why the Yams would be keen to have him back.

Winston Ingram
27-01-2017, 10:56 AM
I've not checked but I thought Berra was out of contract at the end of the season, in which case Hearts wouldn't really be getting anything for Paterson if it was a straight swap.

I don't like it when Hibs are involved in these type of deals.

I remember when Celtic wanted Darren Jackson they were throwing in all kind of trade ins. To his credit Petrie simply declared it you want Jackson you buy him, if we want any of the players you have offered us we will come back and buy them at a later date.

He is out of contract but Ipswich can invoke a further year option if they want.

Smartie
27-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Berra got the run around against Lincoln .... if he's Ipswich's most consistent defender I dread to think what the also rans are like.

As I recall he got Steven Fletcher sent off in a derby by rolling about like a wee lassie after Fletch had looked at him .... another cheating git, you can see why the Yams would be keen to have him back.

Since Mixu's interview after the game, I've always thought of Berra as a "brown trout".

Is It On....
27-01-2017, 12:53 PM

And I also thought that he supported the current holders if the Scottish Cup?

hibee_girl
27-01-2017, 12:56 PM
And I also thought that he supported the current holders if the Scottish Cup?

He doesn't, he grew up a Celtic fan.

NAE NOOKIE
27-01-2017, 05:09 PM
He doesn't, he grew up a Celtic fan.

Bloody worse then ... not only played for them but a glory hunter too.

BullsCloseHibs
27-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Berra is out his depth in the Championship. Has been for a while too. Lincoln lads ripped him apart recently. LINCOLN FFS!

JimBHibees
28-01-2017, 08:43 AM

Yep brown trout aided by their favourite ref.