PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten players

Pages : 1 [2]

BS44
29-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Which one? We've had 2 :greengrin. If you mean the one in the 80's, have to disagree. I thought he was excellent.

Nah, he was rubbish! (Although I only saw him play a few times as I was twelve years old and playing juvenile football most Saturdays) :whistle:

Peevemor
29-01-2017, 08:49 PM
Derek Rodier
Stuart turnbull
Rodier crossed for turnbull to score in a win at Tannadice, Mid 80s I think
I'll never forget Stuart Turnbull. Prior to some of the short stayed crap that we've had over the past few years, Turnbull was by far the worst player I'd seen at Hibs, and probably the worst regular starter ever.

Peevemor
29-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Ricky hill he got out when he seen how cold it was over here, think he came from the Bahamas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bermuda.

Peevemor
29-01-2017, 08:54 PM
William Jamieson, scorer of the equaliser against Manchester United on a bitterly cold winter's afternoon.
Boxing day - he came off the bench and scored with almost his first touch of the ball. Hearts bought him from us IIRC.

northstandhibby
29-01-2017, 08:57 PM
I'll never forget Stuart Turnbull. Prior to some of the shirt stayed crap that we've had over the past few years, Turnbull was by far the worst player I'd seen at Hibs, and probably the worst regular starter ever.

Pretty much agree. The very late seventies and early eighties were hard times to be a hibby. i was weaned on hibs on these teams and didn't know much different so it must have been much harder for hibbys who saw Turnbulls Tornadoes then some of the dross of these days. Albeit there was some good times and plenty of laughs in the stands and on the terraces back then.

Glory Glory

HoboHarry
29-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Boxing day - he came off the bench and scored with almost his first touch of the ball. Hearts bought him from us IIRC.
Don't think they did - think he landed at Hearts a few years later.....

Edit to add this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Jamieson

Peevemor
29-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Don't think they did - think he landed at Hearts a few years later.....

Edit to add this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Jamieson
OK cheers.

O'Rourke3
29-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Graham Harvie

Peevemor
29-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Graham Harvie
Not forgotten at all. We signed him from Ormiston Primrose and he had a Terry Hall style hairdo.

Nicho87
29-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Lillian Martin - right back
Fabrice Henry - right winger
Alex Marinkov - centre half

O'Rourke3
29-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Not forgotten at all. We signed him from Ormiston Primrose and he had a Terry Hall style hairdo.

TBF all have been remembered. Derek Rodier was at school with my mate and I remember him well too :greengrin:

erin go bragh
29-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Morten Hyldgaard

Was he the giant of a keeper . Played in a pre season friendly against maybe Sunderland 2-2 . Then never played for us again .

HarpyHibby
29-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Alan O'brien...

Bishop Hibee
29-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Roy O'Donovan. Mentioned earlier I see. I was reminded of him while watching the Ayr v Morton game. Diving header at Somerset Park in the cup.

Don't think Lee Bailey has been mentioned.

Forza Fred
30-01-2017, 12:26 AM
Joe Keenan was another impact player minus the impact.

He returned to Oz for a while, but failed to get a club I think.

When Mixu signed him, ThAT was when I really started to get worried.

Forza Fred
30-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Roy O'Donovan. Mentioned earlier I see. I was reminded of him while watching the Ayr v Morton game. Diving header at Somerset Park in the cup.

Don't think Lee Bailey has been mentioned.

Roy O'Donovan is currently playing with Central Coast Mariners in the A League.

His team ain't up to much but he has banged in a few goals for them.....in between suspensions that is!

BSEJVT
30-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Brian Welsh I think. Cleared 'off the line' but linesman signalled to the ref it had gone in. I remember being in the queue about 1pm and the Hibs end was rammed by 2. Grant Brebner scored an OG.

We followed up with a 0-0 at Celtic Park then were relegated the following week at ER.

Yes I was there too, it was Welsh who I think got hurt doing so?

Hibs end was rammed, think they scored through Brebner og?

IIRC we went into that game hoping to drag Dunfermline back into it when we didn't all eyes turned to United whom we were leading 1-0 until 2 late Olafson goals, although I think only 1 was required.

There was another thread on which Gunn's merits as a goalie for Hibs were debated, I thought he was bloody awful for us, but still better that Gottskalsken!

Allant1981
30-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Was truly awful for us. Could not catch a ball. Big part of why we went down.

no he wasnt

Speedway
30-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Apologies if I've missed these but Gary Deegan and Kevin Nicol should be filed under the 'almost remembered' category too.

Jamesie
30-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Peter Guggi

greenlex
30-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Martin Mcintosh

seven nowt
30-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Joe Keenan
Fabian Yantorno (could have been a great player if not for injury)
Danny Haynes

KeithTheHibby
30-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Paul Lovering (although he was my favourite player that relegation season)
Graham Donald
Chris somebody, scored a screamer at Tynie and marked Paul Gasgoigne or Brian Laudrup out of a game. Was one of our own players who we brought through the ranks. I think he ended up in Iceland at one point but could be totally wrong about that.

Was at school with Chris, top lad and played in a good Hibs team.

Anyone mentioned Eammon Bannon yet....

HoboHarry
30-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Was at school with Chris, top lad and played in a good Hibs team.

Anyone mentioned Eammon Bannon yet....

Aye,you ya erse. I had truly forgotten.....

:greengrin

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Craig Rocastle

Craig_HFC
30-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Oumar Konde

Squealing pig
30-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Lee power . Emilo bottigeleri .

Peevemor
30-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Lee power . Emilo bottigeleri .

That's twice they've been forgotten in this thread.:greengrin

WoreTheGreen
30-01-2017, 02:10 PM
That's twice they've been forgotten in this thread.:greengrin

JK brown. Bad perm

makaveli1875
30-01-2017, 02:15 PM
chris jackson

barry lavety

olly gottskalkson or whatever his name was the keeper

Hiber-nation
30-01-2017, 02:16 PM
JK brown. Bad perm

Worse footballer. We got the wrong guy with him I think, he couldn't have played for Villa and Pompey.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Worse footballer. We got the wrong guy with him I think, he couldn't have played for Villa and Pompey.

Loved the team announcements in those days.... "Number 6, Jim Brown...... Number 10, James Brown....."

KWJ
30-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Some of those mentioned like Barry Prenderville have given me a smile.

Patrick Noubissie
Earl Jean
Paul Holsgrove
Klaus Dietrich
Janos Matyus
Jarkko Wiss
Humphrey Rudge
Sean O'Hanlon (shudder)
Thierry Gathussi

Had some decent players that rarely get a mention to like Szamo tha monk, Arpinon the injured and Matty Doumbe.

Youngsters that showed some promise but fell away

Jay Shields
Jamie McCluskey
Alan Reid
Kevin Nicol
Mark Dempsie (Sare back)
Allan Dempsie (mind him playing up in St. J looked way too wee for his strip)

StevieCowan
30-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Joe McGloughlan (sp)

A Hi-Bee
30-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Going back a wee bit.
John Murphy, so much talent but just coudnie be arsed
John Hazel, great for a few games then never fulfilled his talent

Question for the historians:
We had a sweeper (remember them) played a good few times and one game stands out when he filled in for John Blackley against the original huns at humpden, semi final game when stand in boss Ewing said The Rangers are Rubbish (very true and the media at the time where shocked!), game ended 1-1 or 0-0 but pretty sure Jimmy O;Rourke scored for us.
Blond hair with not much of it left and even though he was only early twenties, cannot for the life o me remember his name or what happened to him.

FFs jist remembered his name was Alex Pringle (i think) what happened to him?

Diclonius
30-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Denes Rosa. Turned up halfway through Mixu's final season, played better than most of our central midfield (wasn't too difficult since our midfield consisted primarily of Ross Chisholm), was persistently rumoured the whole time he was here to be signing for Hearts at the end of the season, then didn't. Assisted O'Brien's assist in a derby winner though.

Baader
30-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Kevin McKee
Neil Cooper (ex St Mirren not the Aberdeen Neale..)
Sean Widera
Derek Anderson
Eric Paton

swordin3
30-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Who could forget the Welsh international Ivor Biggun I think he was a big centre back from Swansea.

Peevemor
30-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Kevin McKee

Did he not get smacked in the puss by a hun supporter at Ibrox (obviously protecting his players)?

heretoday
30-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Going back a wee bit.

We had a sweeper (remember them) played a good few times and one game stands out when he filled in for John Blackley against the original huns at humpden, semi final game when stand in boss Ewing said The Rangers are Rubbish (very true and the media at the time where shocked!), game ended 1-1 or 0-0 but pretty sure Jimmy O;Rourke scored for us.
Blond hair with not much of it left and even though he was only early twenties, cannot for the life o me remember his name or what happened to him.

John Hazel came close to legendary status but not quite. He scored with a diving header against Hearts in the cup.

Derek Spalding was another decent sub from those days.

Diclonius
30-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Remember the "dream team" signings Calderwood made in the middle of season 2010-11? If I recall correctly it took about 3 weeks to make the first one - Calderwood put this down to "stumbling blocks", i.e. we were down to our 5th/6th choices because the club was obsessed with spending as little money as possible.

Akpo Sodje: Looked a half decent target man centre forward, scored a couple goals, and disappeared the following season.
Victor Palsson: Was our "best signing in years" after a couple games, faded rapidly, then joined the George St gang.
Richie Towell: Looked very good at right back and then didn't. Said Hearts fans hated him because he was a Catholic.
Ricardo Vaz Te: Scored against Hearts, probably the best of the lot.
Martin Scott: Punched Sean Welsh in the face.
Matt Thornhill: ???

Those were the days. :aok:

Hiber-nation
30-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Loved the team announcements in those days.... "Number 6, Jim Brown...... Number 10, James Brown....."

Known as "Jazzer" by a few North Enclosure-ites. That's when we weren't laughing at him. I remember John Connolly getting the biggest cheer of a dire game by actually tackling him and getting the ball off him.

Oh and Duncan Lambie...:boo hoo:

WoreTheGreen
30-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Martin Henderson

lapsedhibee
30-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Richie Towell: Looked very good at right back and then didn't. Said Hearts fans hated him because he was a Catholic.

Might come back to haunt us, if we ever get Brighton in the Scottish Cup draw.

CropleyWasGod
30-01-2017, 03:31 PM

Known as "Jazzer" by a few North Enclosure-ites. That's when we weren't laughing at him. I remember John Connolly getting the biggest cheer of a dire game by actually tackling him and getting the ball off him.

Oh and Duncan Lambie...:boo hoo:

Wasn't there a fan club that went under L*mb**'s name? :greengrin

Weirdly, the Tom-Tom Club are on the radio just now, with that line..."James Brown???.......... James Brown.............!!!!"

Northernhibee
30-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Jonathan Grounds

BS44
30-01-2017, 04:26 PM

Mark Fulton. Does anyone remember this strip I certainly can't? That game will be Sevilla when Jock Wallace was there for a season

Danny Lennon

WoreTheGreen
30-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Is that really Danny Lennon i will ask Danny if he agrees that Danny lennon is the real Danny Lennon

snooky
30-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Who could forget the Welsh international Ivor Biggun I think he was a big centre back from Swansea.
Preferred Wee Willie Henderson masel :wink:

EVENTUALLY
31-01-2017, 05:16 AM
Going back a wee bit.

Emigrated to Canada. Was a good player, very assured but a bit too wee for central defence.

Add Viktor Pallson to this list. He started off great, had lots of dig and let Jim Goodwin know all about it.

SirDavidsNapper
31-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Andy Dow

tamig
31-01-2017, 07:52 AM

And a legend of the Sir Albert Kidd game.

Forza Fred
31-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Wee Johnny Hamilton

Last heard of selling cars in South Africs

Scott Allan Key
31-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Derek Townsley, squad player for McLeish and Blobby

makaveli1875
31-01-2017, 08:28 AM
ian cameron

shaun dennis

brian welsh

Hiber-nation
31-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Brian Grant
Andy Millen

erin go bragh
31-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Willie Irvine . Was brilliant season 85 . Think we knocked back a bid of 200k from the sheep , then the next season he couldn't hit a cows erse with a banjo .

tamig
31-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Wee Johnny Hamilton

Last heard of selling cars in South Africs

Johnny died about a year and a half ago sadly.

Oranje39
31-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Hong Kong Thierry Gathussi.