PDA

View Full Version : Signings that underwhelmed you but turned out to be quality?

Cletus
25-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Start us off with Ivan...

Galahibby
25-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Tony Mowbray, if that counts?

McD
25-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Gary smith

hfc rd
25-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Logan - really doubted him because of his long term injury and weight but glad I was proven wrong when he left a legend!

rcarter1
David Murphy. Shows how much know about football..

.Sean.
David Gray

JimboHibs
Conrad Logan.

Smartie
25-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Derek Collins and Tom Smith.

Good fullbacks in a good side.

bingo70
Kevin Mcbride did a really good job for a while and I was raging when we signed him.

northstandhibby
Russell Latapy. Had never heard of him prior to arriving at ER. What a signing he turned out to be. One of the best players I've ever seen at ER.

Glory Glory

O'Rourke3
25-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Ally MacLeod, Steve Cowan and Mixu Paataleinan

Carheenlea
25-01-2017, 09:02 PM
http://i65.tinypic.com/1zclrus.jpg

Pretty Boy
25-01-2017, 09:03 PM
Mixu.

10 minutes into his 1st game I thought we'd signed a total has been. Very, very wrong.

JimboHibs
Derek Collins and Tom Smith.

Good fullbacks in a good side.

Great shout,really liked Tom Smith playing for us.

hfc rd
Rob Jones
David Gray
Sol Bamba
Liam Henderson

Pretty Boy
25-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Great shout,really liked Tom Smith playing for us.

Would have been a top player for us, and could have played at a higher level still imo, had it not been for his injury.

Mr White
25-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Gary Smith. Thought he was an odd signing at first but despite a few poor performances towards the end of his hibs career he was a good solid defender for us for a good number of years.

bigwheel
25-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Would have been a top player for us, and could have played at a higher level still imo, had it not been for his injury.

Now a Glasgow Cabbie. Dropped us off at Ibrox a few years ago for a game ...and regained us with stories of playing with Sauzee. Top player and Really nice guy too...

emerald green
25-01-2017, 09:08 PM
John Brownlie - signed from Pumpherston Juniors. Does that count?

Frazerbob
25-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Steve Archibald.....seriously.
He was pretty much universally disliked by Scottish fans due to some poor performances for Scotland and many fans, myself included, were seriously underwhelmed when he he joined us. Turned out to be sheer class, all be it with a questionable attitude. We can only dream of signing a Barcelona first team striker these days.

Northernhibee
25-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Ross Laidlaw.

BroxburnHibee
25-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Pat Mcginlay

Topographic Hibby
25-01-2017, 09:44 PM
I remember the night in the 70s when my grandad took me to ER for a midweek game after we swapped Stanton for Jackie McNamara. The main stand regulars were mostly definitely underwhelmed.

Jackie Mac done OK for us, didn't he?

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Gary Smith. Paul Fenwick. Daniel Anderson. Willie Irvine and briefly Chris Killen.

blaikie
25-01-2017, 10:03 PM
David Gray

I was also underwhelmed when we brought in Stubbs, thought we needed someone proven how wrong was I!

Smartie
25-01-2017, 10:09 PM
I remember there being a sense of being underwhelmed when Alex McLeish got the job, because we'd been holding out hope that Kenny Dalglish was going to come and manage us.

ClewsHibs
25-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Ivan Sproule

kevinc
25-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Graham Mitchell

Bishop Hibee
25-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Jim Leighton who was in Dundee reserves, Andy Goram who cost £325,000 which was a lot for a keeper and Paul Fenwick from Morton.

Northernhibee
25-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Eoin Doyle was another, think he was criminally under-rated at Hibs.

Saint Hibee
25-01-2017, 10:34 PM

A very good player indeed. Not quite sure why nobody seemed to rate him.

Ryan69
25-01-2017, 11:08 PM
Jim Leighton who was in Dundee reserves, Andy Goram who cost £325,000 which was a lot for a keeper and Paul Fenwick from Morton.

Leighton was an incredible signing.it was clear he just needed the right environment....and boy did he flourish.

He was even capped at Hibs was he not?

ancient hibee
25-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Johnny Graham

21sMay
25-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Mikey Stewart

Pretty Boy
25-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Leighton was an incredible signing.it was clear he just needed the right environment....and boy did he flourish.

He was even capped at Hibs was he not?

34 of his 91 caps cames whilst at Hibs.

Got back in the Scotland squad after a 3 year absence.

Mantis Toboggan
25-01-2017, 11:22 PM

Yeah Tom is a great shout. Tragic injury.

21sMay
25-01-2017, 11:34 PM
John O'Neil , didn't expect much but he totally proved to be a great signing

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Alan Marbury
Dean Shiels
Scott Robertson

Ryan69
26-01-2017, 12:09 AM
34 of his 91 caps cames whilst at Hibs.

Got back in the Scotland squad after a 3 year absence.

Are you sure it was that much?
If so goes to show what a signing he was.

I remember feeling so bad for him that Goram was the first choice at world cup..as Leighton had earnt it.

Whats he upto these days? You dont see or hear of him anywhere.

Pretty Boy
26-01-2017, 12:14 AM
Are you sure it was that much?
If so goes to show what a signing he was.

I remember feeling so bad for him that Goram was the first choice at world cup..as Leighton had earnt it.

Whats he upto these days? You dont see or hear of him anywhere.

He was at Aberdeen as a coach until a couple of years ago.

I should have actually said in my original post he earned 34 of his caps after signing for Hibs as opposed to at Hibs, a few of them were on his return to Aberdeen. Signed for us in 1993 and got back in the Scotland squad the same year.

Michael
26-01-2017, 12:38 AM
I remember reading David Grays Wikipedia page and thinking we'd signed a total dud.

Also, Kevin McBride was surprisingly brilliant for 6 months.

basehibby
26-01-2017, 02:09 AM
David Murphy. Shows how much know about football..

Good call - I remember being distinctly unimpressed by the initial slew of signings made by Mowbray which I remember included Dean Sheils as well. "WTF are they gonnae dae?" I remember thinking, but both ended up being great signings. Murphy in particular was a joy to watch at LB but Deano also contributed well and gave us some great moments.

Baader
26-01-2017, 02:26 AM
Mixu. Hate to say it but I remember Hibs had an earlier bid knocked back and me saying to a Hibs mate I'm glad they did as he was finished.

Yogi. I wasn't too happy when we signed him as a player as thought the same but he was very good for us. Only thing being we should have signed him years before...

Eaststandee
26-01-2017, 02:26 AM
Duncan Watmore. Still makes me angry. That is all.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

basehibby
26-01-2017, 02:28 AM
Ross Laidlaw.

Also a good call - the signing of a reserve keeper is almost by definition underwhelming. Early doors for Ross but he's shown many of the hallmarks of a top keeper already for me. Certainly he looks a lot more capable and reliable than many of the keepers we've seen at Hibs in the 21st century - I'm hopeful he could end up being our No 1 for years to come!

thebausburst
26-01-2017, 07:11 AM
He was pretty much universally disliked by Scottish fans due to some poor performances for Scotland and many fans, myself included, were seriously underwhelmed when he he joined us. Turned out to be sheer class, all be it with a questionable attitude. We can only dream of signing a Barcelona first team striker these days.

This :aok:

Jim44
26-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Willie Hamilton. Despite his Jambo connection and his reputation for liking a drink or ten, he was a terrific player for us.

lapsedhibee
26-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Willie Hamilton. Despite his Jambo connection and his reputation for liking a drink or ten, he was a terrific player for us.

Willie Hamilton prevents Hearts winning the league in 1965 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z0Qa7sjDg)

Tom Hart RIP
26-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Johnny Graham

Good call

Tom Hart RIP
26-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Chic Charley

2016 Delivered
26-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Ivan. That semi final! Who would have thought.

Peevemor
26-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Pat Mcginlay

First person that I thought of, followed by Willie Irvine (the 1st).

2016 Delivered
26-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Derek Collins.

-Jonesy-
26-01-2017, 09:52 AM
A very good player indeed. Not quite sure why nobody seemed to rate him.

He missed a hell of a lot of sitters

Hibee87
26-01-2017, 11:08 AM

Agreed, think he was just with us at the wrong time. Doyle in this team would be excellent imo

pacoluna
26-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Agreed, think he was just with us at the wrong time. Doyle in this team would be excellent imo

Just went out on loan to portsmouth

Hibrandenburg
26-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Bobby Smith. Had some huge boots to fill but made the left back position his own after a few years. Was a genuinely nice guy too. Used to love the "Bobby Smith Dummy" he used regularly.

CL0762
26-01-2017, 11:28 AM
I remember reading David Grays Wikipedia page and thinking we'd signed a total dud.

Also, Kevin McBride was surprisingly brilliant for 6 months.

McBride & Miller as the 2 were outstanding for 6 months as you've said. Allowing Stokes, Riordan, Zemmama & Benji to run riot at times.

It was when McBride got injured it all started coming apart.

JDHibs
26-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Jason Cummings...

MartinfaePorty
26-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Chris Hogg. Remember shouting pelters at him for continually lumping aimless balls up to the strikers. He must have heeded my advice :aok:

Peevemor
26-01-2017, 12:46 PM
I was too young at the time, but can anyone remember how Jackie McNamara snr. was rated at Celtic before he came to Hbs?

cam75
26-01-2017, 12:51 PM
He was at Aberdeen as a coach until a couple of years ago.

I should have actually said in my original post he earned 34 of his caps after signing for Hibs as opposed to at Hibs, a few of them were on his return to Aberdeen. Signed for us in 1993 and got back in the Scotland squad the same year.

See him at the sports centre in Aberdeen,think he has a coaching school for kids.

Ggtth💚

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2017, 12:52 PM
He missed a hell of a lot of sittersDid he?

HappyHanlon
26-01-2017, 12:58 PM
David Gray - after some of the previous dross we had there, I was worried we'd signed another but pleased to say I was so wrong :greengrin
Conrad - Took one look at him warming up against Utd and got the fear.

snooky
26-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Ivan. Came in as a "Who he?" and ended up a legend. :not worth

steakbake
26-01-2017, 01:39 PM
I remember Murphy got some abuse from around where I was sitting on his home debut. He wasn't totally match fit, but man, I'd pay good money to see him play for us again (...obviously not now...but you know what I mean)

Peevemor
26-01-2017, 01:44 PM
I remember Murphy got some abuse from around where I was sitting on his home debut. He wasn't totally match fit, but man, I'd pay good money to see him play for us again (...obviously not now...but you know what I mean)

My first real memory of Murphy is of him scoring against Celtic (I think).

Andy74
26-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Wow. If signing a player direct from Barcelona and fighting off Liverpool in the process leaves you underwhelmed then not many of our singings are likely to excite you!

2016 Delivered
26-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Friendly against Leeds he looked unfit and torn to shreds (McManus scored a peach) after that he was class.

Walter
26-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Boozy

2016 Delivered
26-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Freddy Arpinon. Well underrated.

Iggy Pope
26-01-2017, 02:39 PM
I was too young at the time, but can anyone remember how Jackie McNamara snr. was rated at Celtic before he came to Hbs?

I'm only slightly older :wink: but as I recal he had been highly rated but had his progress curtailed by:
A) A bad knee injury (that he was still recovering from when he came to us,adding to the grievance of the support)
And B) A widely reported Bolshevik stance that didn't go down well with the Celtic board (he was heavily involved in the Players Union throughout his career if I'm right).

No question for this youngster though that at different times, he and Ally McLeod replaced two absolutely cast iron Hibernian idols and were as welcome as farts in a spacesuit.

Both were tremendously good acquisitions and firm favourites.

Iggy Pope
26-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Wow. If signing a player direct from Barcelona and fighting off Liverpool in the process leaves you underwhelmed then not many of our singings are likely to excite you!

There was a lot of terracing cynicism when he arrived and it took him a wee while to get motoring as I recall.

Smartie
26-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Freddy Arpinon. Well underrated.

See, I'd have put him in the "failed to deliver" pile.

I knew a guy that had spent time in France and he told me Arpinon was a top, top signing and would do well for us.

Seemingly we paid him an absolute fortune too.

His main problem was injury rather than ability but Arpinon was on of the players who fell lowest below (my admittedly inflated) expectations.

2016 Delivered
26-01-2017, 02:52 PM
See, I'd have put him in the "failed to deliver" pile.

I knew a guy that had spent time in France and he told me Arpinon was a top, top signing and would do well for us.

Seemingly we paid him an absolute fortune too.

His main problem was injury rather than ability but Arpinon was on of the players who fell lowest below (my admittedly inflated) expectations.

I was too young to know much about him but he was class when not injured. Had him on the white collar away top.

Smartie
26-01-2017, 02:54 PM
I was too young to know much about him but he was class when not injured. Had him on the white collar away top.

He most certainly was that. I'm being a bit harsh.

2016 Delivered
26-01-2017, 02:55 PM
He most certainly was that. I'm being a bit harsh.
👍

-Jonesy-
26-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Did he?

I quite liked Doyle, he had a fantastic work effort and took up good positions but mostly I remember him flashing headers and cutbacks wide when he got on the end of something.

Gettin' Auld
26-01-2017, 05:36 PM
I wondered why we signed an unknown midfielder from the highland league by the name of Des Bremner. The guy never looked up tp much the first few times i saw him either.

I was wrong.......... :greengrin

He grew on me and was a great servant to Hibs for 6 or 7 seasons, then went on to Aston Villa where he played his part as they won the english league, then the european cup and super cup.

Golden Bear
26-01-2017, 05:40 PM
I wondered why we signed an unknown midfielder from the highland league by the name of Des Bremner. The guy never looked up tp much the first few times i saw him either.

He grew on me and was a great servant to Hibs for 6 or 7 seasons, then went on to Aston Villa where he played his part as they won the english league, then the european cup and super cup.

A model pro was Des and his game came on leaps and bounds as each season progressed.

Gettin' Auld
26-01-2017, 06:00 PM
A model pro was Des and his game came on leaps and bounds as each season progressed.

:aok:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Hendo, heard decent reviews but wasn't sure what to expect.

HibeeHutch
26-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Andy Goram. Marvin Bartley.

The Baldmans Comb
26-01-2017, 10:57 PM

That is a real WTF moment.

Archibald was coming from Barcelona 1st team having just been at Spurs after being outstanding at "The Sheep" with a UEFA cup final and a Champions League (old money) final behind him.

I remember it as thinking it must be a wind up that an Internationalist of this calibre was coming back to Alex Millers Hibs team.

At least you acknowledged his ability.

Not a Hibs player but Henrick Larsson looked an imposter in his 1st game v us and Ivan to answer the question.

Bostonhibby
26-01-2017, 11:02 PM

Good choice. I'd say the same. Watched him all those years later at villa. Achieved a great deal.

Frazerbob
26-01-2017, 11:13 PM

I think that was the kind of the point I was making. Looking back now it seems rediculous that I (and many others) were underwhelmed. As I said, Archie was not exactly highly regarded in Scotland despite his club pedigree. When he was called up to the Mexico 86 squad (he wasn't in the original squad) after Kenny Dalglish withdrew, folk were furious. What would we give for someone of his ilk playing for Scotland now.

stuart-farquhar
26-01-2017, 11:17 PM
I think that was the kind of the point I was making. Looking back now it seems rediculous that I (and many others) were underwhelmed. As I said, Archie was not exactly highly regarded in Scotland despite his club pedigree. When he was called up to the Mexico 86 squad (he wasn't in the original squad) after Kenny Dalglish withdrew, folk were furious. What would we give for someone of his ilk playing for Scotland now.

He was fantastic!

The Baldmans Comb
26-01-2017, 11:31 PM

I think you are at it. Lol but happy to agree to disagree

Archibald was one of Spurs best ever strikers where he won the UEFA cup final and was then transferred to Barcelona to replace Maradona who then reached the European Cup Final (the one where Barcelona missed all the penalties).

I can't remember any single Hibs fan being underwhelmed based on a chequered Scotland career especially after watching utter dross like Mark Caughey and the Miller boys up front.

Frazerbob
27-01-2017, 12:18 AM
I think you are at it. Lol but happy to agree to disagree

Archibald was one of Spurs best ever strikers where he won the UEFA cup final and was then transferred to Barcelona to replace Maradona who then reached the European Cup Final (the one where Barcelona missed all the penalties).

I can't remember any single Hibs fan being underwhelmed based on a chequered Scotland career especially after watching utter dross like Mark Caughey and the Miller boys up front.

Absolutely not at it. Remember these were different times. No wall to wall TV coverage so most folk up here only had his Scotland appearances to judge him on. Let's not forget Kenny Dalglish, probably Scotland's finest player in modern times, also got stick up here for not replicating his Liverpool form for Scotland. No pleasing some folk! By the way, the Miller boys were years after Archie.

--------
27-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Joe McBride Snr.

The word was that his knees had gone and his career was effectively over. We got him for about £10,000 to replace Colin Stein who had gone to Rangers for ten times that fee.

He scored in his first game for us, but that was the consolation in a 6-1 stuffing in which CS scored a hat-trick.

So it looked as though we had replaced one of the best prospects in Scottish football with a broken-down has-been.

How wrong you can be.

whereswallace?
27-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Stuart Lovell, he done a fantastic job for us and was brilliant in a team that needed guys to do the donkey work.

Gettin' Auld
27-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Good choice. I'd say the same. Watched him all those years later at villa. Achieved a great deal.

I don't think it helped that his first games were at right back, replacing John Brownlie after his leg break. Once he went back into midfield, or was converted into a midfielder from a full back (my memory isn't what it used to be), his career really took off.

Some player he turned into and he deserved everything he achieved in the game.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2017, 08:37 AM
I don't think it helped that his first games were at right back, replacing John Brownlie after his leg break. Once he went back into midfield, or was converted into a midfielder from a full back (my memory isn't what it used to be), his career really took off.

Some player he turned into and he deserved everything he achieved in the game.
That's how I recall it. Your memory is fine, or we both have the same problem! [emoji6]

Gettin' Auld
27-01-2017, 08:49 AM
That's how I recall it. Your memory is fine, or we both have the same problem! [emoji6]

:thumbsup:

ancient hibee
27-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Joe McBride Snr.

The word was that his knees had gone and his career was effectively over. We got him for about £10,000 to replace Colin Stein who had gone to Rangers for ten times that fee.

He scored in his first game for us, but that was the consolation in a 6-1 stuffing in which CS scored a hat-trick.

So it looked as though we had replaced one of the best prospects in Scottish football with a broken-down has-been.

How wrong you can be.
And the disaster of him leaving due to his fall out with Tom Hart.

DH1875
27-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Logan - really doubted him because of his long term injury and weight but glad I was proven wrong when he left a legend!

Remember seeing him for the first time during the warm up and thinking to myself, WTF :confused: theirs time for me yet. How wrong was I :thumbsup: