PDA

View Full Version : Their new main stand

Not In The Know
24-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Reading the latest yam statement about the difficulties arranging a match at short notice with all the building (Meccano) works going on, it got me thinking. Tough luck, everything they are doing is so they can don't have to reduce their match day capacity - maximising revenue. This also goes for their request to have a big chunk of their fixtures away from home at the start of next season to allow completion.

Surely with sporting integrity (an unheard of phrase down that way) that would leave them with quite a nice run of home fixtures at the crunch end of the season. Think Euro ties when its better to play at home last...

They could shut the stand for us playing their last week reducing our revenue but they won't do it their self.

I remember ER having sides closed during matches while we renovated, its the way it needs to be. Maybe let them request an way fixture at the start of the next season, but, they should get no special treatment just play at home with 3 stands.

adhibs
24-01-2017, 10:15 AM
No danger they'll need 4 stands.open for wednesday. Complaining about nothing.

Ozyhibby
24-01-2017, 10:21 AM
No danger they'll need 4 stands.open for wednesday. Complaining about nothing.

All their stands are open on Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan62
24-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Lots of rumbly mumbles emerging from down Gorgie way at the moment about the practicalities of building that stand and getting rid of the old one. While I'm not claiming to be completely ITK, I'm hearing whispers that the contractors are getting a bit nervous about certain fundamental aspects of the job. If I was them, I'd also be concerned about the financing. While it's public knowledge that Mrs B has declared a shortfall, there doesn't appear to be any clear strategy either for raising those funds or getting the building to a functioning standard. The word 'shambles' has been mentioned in dispatches. :cb

Not In The Know
24-01-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm mostly concerned with the request to stack all their home games to the second half of next season.

mind you it would be hilarious if the unexpected difficulties with the new build means they run out of cash.

scoopyboy
24-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Went and read the statement from the budgie woman.

Funniest bit for me being a programme collector is that they are not printing a programme for the game as there isn't enough time.

BUT they will print one retrospectively.

Might be the only programme ever to have a match report of the game in it.

Ye couldnae make it up.

Radium
24-01-2017, 11:22 AM
Regarding the fixtures, whilst it would be tricky they could be sorted during the first round of games. Would absolutely expect them to be sorted by the end of the second round of games. So there will be no advantage as they fight for a top 6 place in the third round of fixtures [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Lots of rumbly mumbles emerging from down Gorgie way at the moment about the practicalities of building that stand and getting rid of the old one. While I'm not claiming to be completely ITK, I'm hearing whispers that the contractors are getting a bit nervous about certain fundamental aspects of the job. If I was them, I'd also be concerned about the financing. While it's public knowledge that Mrs B has declared a shortfall, there doesn't appear to be any clear strategy either for raising those funds or getting the building to a functioning standard. The word 'shambles' has been mentioned in dispatches. :cb

Think they are missing a trick by not moving the cup derby ( if they beat RR ) to Murrayfield ..... even taking into account the cost of hiring the stadium I could see a pile of cash to be made from a 40 to 50 thousand crowd which I'm convinced would turn up. A lot of people would be attracted by the novelty of a derby match being played there and as I pointed out on another thread the combined average for both clubs is topping 30,000 this season making a crowd well over that highly likely.

To be honest I cant see any problems for the Yams so far as building the stand over the current death trap goes .... its a fairly basic design and has been done before at other grounds ..... once the shell is up can they afford to finish it? only Budgie knows the answer to that one, but I can see another trip around the fans with the begging bowl coming up. The question is of course, how long will it be before the bucket comes up empty after being lowered to the bottom of that particular well :greengrin

Oscar T Grouch
24-01-2017, 01:04 PM
I doubt the SRU would give permission to play the tie at muddyfield. While Scotland are away in France that weekend it is mid 6 Nations and they probably don't want to risk damage to the pitch.

Moulin Yarns
24-01-2017, 01:07 PM
I doubt the SRU would give permission to play the tie at muddyfield. While Scotland are away in France that weekend it is mid 6 Nations and they probably don't want to risk damage to the pitch.

What are you suggesting? You think some fans might somehow become exuberant and go on the pitch?

Oscar T Grouch
24-01-2017, 01:12 PM
What are you suggesting? You think some fans might somehow become exuberant and go on the pitch?

:greengrin If and it is a big if, it would be purely down to exuberance with no malice at all. :wink:

But in all seriousness I can't see them giving over the stadium to the beautiful game when they are mid egg chasing tourny, I would however prefer it to be at muddyfield just so I can get a ticket.

JimboHibs
24-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Reading the latest yam statement about the difficulties arranging a match at short notice with all the building (Meccano) works going on, it got me thinking. Tough luck, everything they are doing is so they can don't have to reduce their match day capacity - maximising revenue. This also goes for their request to have a big chunk of their fixtures away from home at the start of next season to allow completion.

Surely with sporting integrity (an unheard of phrase down that way) that would leave them with quite a nice run of home fixtures at the crunch end of the season. Think Euro ties when its better to play at home last...

They could shut the stand for us playing their last week reducing our revenue but they won't do it their self.

I remember ER having sides closed during matches while we renovated, its the way it needs to be. Maybe let them request an way fixture at the start of the next season, but, they should get no special treatment just play at home with 3 stands.

Talking about when we had our new stands built.Did we ever play a midweek game with an afternoon kick-off?

scoopyboy
24-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Talking about when we had our new stands built.Did we ever play a midweek game with an afternoon kick-off?

Two that I can think of.

Falkirk and Motherwell

JimboHibs
24-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Two that I can think of.

Falkirk and Motherwell

Cheers I was convinced we had played midweek with afternoon or early kickoff.

Keith_M
24-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Two that I can think of.

Falkirk and Motherwell

I was at that game and there was a crowd of 5,000, pretty decent for a Wednesday at 3pm

Billy Whizz
24-01-2017, 02:39 PM
So with them building the new stand around the old one, does this mean that they are keeping the same seats etc that they currently use?

Keith_M
24-01-2017, 02:44 PM
So with them building the new stand around the old one, does this mean that they are keeping the same seats etc that they currently use?

No, they're just building the outer frame of the new stand around the current stand, then they're going to remove the current structure when the outer frame is finished.

IIRC, Liverpool did something similar.

EDIT: Here's a LINK (http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/05/photos-take-look-old-main-stand-demolished-week/) to an article on the Liverpool Stand, with some photos that show how it was done.

HoboHarry
24-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Not a hope - once they steal all of the old seats, it will be like having brand new living room furniture for the yak fans.....:greengrin

stuart-farquhar
24-01-2017, 03:09 PM
So it's a smaller stand than the east. But with more seats. Is that right?

Jamesie
24-01-2017, 03:14 PM
I was at that game and there was a crowd of 5,000, pretty decent for a Wednesday at 3pm

I remember having to skive school for that one!

Keith_M
24-01-2017, 03:15 PM
So it's a smaller stand than the east. But with more seats. Is that right?

Do you mean the height of the East Stand at ER?

:dunno:

Jamesie
24-01-2017, 03:16 PM
I wonder if - and it's a big if - they beat Raith there is any scope for having their old stand at least partially open?

I'm also guessing a Derby will be moved from 3pm on the Saturday for TV purposes...

stuart-farquhar
24-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Do you mean the height of the East Stand at ER?

:dunno:
I'm thinking it will be overall in total dimensions smaller.

Keith_M
24-01-2017, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking it will be overall in total dimensions smaller.

I think it's going to be the same height as their other three stands, so the gradient of the seating area will have to be lower, but yeah, the capacity is going to be about 1k higher than the East Stand at ER.

Dashing Bob S
24-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Revenue is going to become an increasing issue for Hearts, so if they could get Muddyfield for a song from the SRU, they would dive at it. I suspect the SRU will have there ideas though and we'll see frantic council shenanigans resulting in the battering of Yam lungs with asbestos one more time.

Bostonhibby
24-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Not a hope - once they steal all of the old seats, it will be like having brand new living room furniture for the yak fans.....:greengrin

Does that include the one covered in what looks like bird crap that someone posted somewhere earlier?

Well I hope its bird crap though I do accept that quite a few of the regulars down there aren't toilet trained yet.

Hibs Class
24-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Think they are missing a trick by not moving the cup derby ( if they beat RR ) to Murrayfield ..... even taking into account the cost of hiring the stadium I could see a pile of cash to be made from a 40 to 50 thousand crowd which I'm convinced would turn up. A lot of people would be attracted by the novelty of a derby match being played there and as I pointed out on another thread the combined average for both clubs is topping 30,000 this season making a crowd well over that highly likely.

To be honest I cant see any problems for the Yams so far as building the stand over the current death trap goes .... its a fairly basic design and has been done before at other grounds ..... once the shell is up can they afford to finish it? only Budgie knows the answer to that one, but I can see another trip around the fans with the begging bowl coming up. The question is of course, how long will it be before the bucket comes up empty after being lowered to the bottom of that particular well :greengrin

Doubt they'd get permission to move it to Murrayfield. Wanting to make more cash isn't one of the reasons why a tie can be moved, and doubt tincastle would be any less safe than it was last weekend.

oldbutdim
24-01-2017, 03:35 PM
Two that I can think of.

Falkirk and Motherwell

We played the old Rangers on a Wednesday afternoon at ER in the mid 70's I think, but can't remember why.....................:confused:

Hibs Class
24-01-2017, 03:39 PM
We played the old Rangers on a Wednesday afternoon at ER in the mid 70's I think, but can't remember why.....................:confused:

Maybe during the general strike with all the power cuts etc.?

Moulin Yarns
24-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Yep, I remember that. The 3 day week

Danderhall Hibs
24-01-2017, 03:51 PM

The murrayfield pitch has had thousands spent on it - it's a hybrid so could easily cope.

NAE NOOKIE
24-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Doubt they'd get permission to move it to Murrayfield. Wanting to make more cash isn't one of the reasons why a tie can be moved, and doubt tincastle would be any less safe than it was last weekend.

That type of mindset is one of the reasons why Scottish football fails to thrive ...... A clubs home advantage should be theirs to do with what they like ...... Bonnyrigg Rose probably made more money last Saturday by moving the tie to the PBS than they will raise in a whole season playing at home, Albion Rovers probably made twice as much by moving their tie with Celtic to the Excelsior stadium.

Yes it perhaps flies in the face of the romance of the cup, but in reality the chances of Bonnyrigg Rose beating Hibs or Albion Rovers beating Celtic are incredibly remote, home advantage or not ...... What is more beneficial to a club, the glory of causing a huge 500/1 upset by beating Hibs or Celtic in front of 2,000 with the reward being an away tie to Ross County in the next round, or their club which leads a hand to mouth existence being set up for the next few seasons by what for them is a huge payday?

Hear7s have a 12 million pounds project to fund, one where even they admit there is still part of the money to be found to complete it ..... in those circumstances being denied the chance to utilise any avenue possible to help reach their goal should they wish to use it is totally stupid. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second the Yams will want to move any tie against Hibs away from the PBS because if they did and lost their fans would partly blame giving up home advantage for it and turn on the board for making the decision.

EastThomasSTboy
24-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Yeah, it was the power cuts during the 3-day week.

I skived off school to be at the match and found my Geography teacher standing 2 feet behind me!!!!

houstonhibbee
24-01-2017, 04:13 PM

I skived off school to be at the match and found my Geography teacher standing 2 feet behind me!!!!
Think it ended 0-0?

The Pointer
24-01-2017, 05:29 PM

That was during the three day week as I remember my office in Moray Place closing for the afternoon.

bigwheel
24-01-2017, 05:37 PM
That was during the three day week as I remember my office in Moray Place closing for the afternoon.

my memory might be deceiving me here...but was that game not played after the 3 scottish cup finals? so in 79....ended in a draw iirc....

just checked the records ..Hibs won that one 2-1...on a Thursday - no idea if it was evening or afternoon though..

houstonhibbee
24-01-2017, 05:44 PM
my memory might be deceiving me here...but was that game not played after the 3 scottish cup finals? so in 79....ended in a draw iirc....

just checked the records ..Hibs won that one 2-1...on a Thursday - no idea if it was evening or afternoon though..

The Wed afternoon one was during the miners strike in the early 70's. I was at school and disappointed I couldn't go but I recall thinking I didn't miss too much if it was goalless...dont think any cameras were there probably due to the power cuts again

bigwheel
24-01-2017, 05:45 PM
The Wed afternoon one was during the miners strike in the early 70's. I was at school and disappointed I couldn't go but I recall thinking I didn't miss too much if it was goalless...dont think any cameras were there probably due to the power cuts again

cheers...that feels right in retrospect..I recall Iw as too young to go myself..and was nearby at home when the match was on...

tamig
24-01-2017, 05:47 PM
I wonder if - and it's a big if - they beat Raith there is any scope for having their old stand at least partially open?

I'm also guessing a Derby will be moved from 3pm on the Saturday for TV purposes...
What do you mean about the old stand? It's open tomorrow so will be open if they get through to play us. It's only games towards the end of the season it'll be taken out of commission.

scoopyboy
24-01-2017, 05:53 PM

I remember being at school that day and teachers were watching the gates for people trying to leave early.

We clambered over the wall at the techy department, through Tranent Civic Square to the Crosskeys and on the Tranent Hibs bus.

Next day I was asked to explain my absence and ended up having to get a note from my old dear to say I had been ill and gone home.

Later two Hibs supporting teachers asked me if I had got an extra programme I could give them.

2016 Delivered
24-01-2017, 06:01 PM
They always seem to avoid penalties for anything and special dispensation here there and everywhere. Why not let them open 3 stands next season and call a game off in the first or second week like every club can do? They won't have to and that's the proper issue.
Regardless of the new improved main stand it's still a midden of a ground. Simple people like simple things I suppose.

2016 Delivered
24-01-2017, 06:03 PM
That type of mindset is one of the reasons why Scottish football fails to thrive ...... A clubs home advantage should be theirs to do with what they like ...... Bonnyrigg Rose probably made more money last Saturday by moving the tie to the PBS than they will raise in a whole season playing at home, Albion Rovers probably made twice as much by moving their tie with Celtic to the Excelsior stadium.

Yes it perhaps flies in the face of the romance of the cup, but in reality the chances of Bonnyrigg Rose beating Hibs or Albion Rovers beating Celtic are incredibly remote, home advantage or not ...... What is more beneficial to a club, the glory of causing a huge 500/1 upset by beating Hibs or Celtic in front of 2,000 with the reward being an away tie to Ross County in the next round, or their club which leads a hand to mouth existence being set up for the next few seasons by what for them is a huge payday?

Hear7s have a 12 million pounds project to fund, one where even they admit there is still part of the money to be found to complete it ..... in those circumstances being denied the chance to utilise any avenue possible to help reach their goal should they wish to use it is totally stupid. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second the Yams will want to move any tie against Hibs away from the PBS because if they did and lost their fans would partly blame giving up home advantage for it and turn on the board for making the decision.

English football is thriving. The challengers for the league title played matches in the champions league away from their ground.

Velma Dinkley
24-01-2017, 06:07 PM
As an aside, with their main deathtrap being rebuilt and 6 players being signed, are Hearts fans actually getting anywhere with gaining ownership of the club? I thought their direct debits were meant to be going towards buying shares (ie paying off Budge) :confused:

2016 Delivered
24-01-2017, 06:13 PM
As an aside, with their main deathtrap being rebuilt and 6 players being signed, are Hearts fans actually getting anywhere with gaining ownership of the club? I thought their direct debits were meant to be going towards buying shares (ie paying off Budge) :confused:

Think they are just happy to have a club and not having to do face painting any longer. £10 whiskey money is well worth the cause.

Bostonhibby
24-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Still just the one fan owner. Nae shares for savers but the one fan is doing a cracking job of spending their share money. What's next?

Keith_M
24-01-2017, 06:50 PM

During this transfer window?

superfurryhibby
24-01-2017, 06:55 PM
I remember being at school that day and teachers were watching the gates for people trying to leave early.

We clambered over the wall at the techy department, through Tranent Civic Square to the Crosskeys and on the Tranent Hibs bus.

Next day I was asked to explain my absence and ended up having to get a note from my old dear to say I had been ill and gone home.

Later two Hibs supporting teachers asked me if I had got an extra programme I could give them.

Some quality thread diversion memories of that game played mid afternoon during the miners strike in the early seventies.

My only memory of the game is that I was there and that it was in the afternoon. A replayed Scottish Cup tie and we lost. Must have been skiving the school to have been there.

houstonhibbee
24-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Some quality thread diversion memories of that game played mid afternoon during the miners strike in the early seventies.

My only memory of the game is that I was there and that it was in the afternoon. A replayed Scottish Cup tie and we lost. Must have been skiving the school to have been there.
It was me said the miners strike but it wasn't it was the power cuts due to oil crisis

was checking up on the timing of the game - must have been towards the end of 1973

wevplayed a league cup q final first leg that was 0-0!which could have been it. Lost the second leg 2-0. May have been Davy cooper that scored in at ibrox

lapsedhibee
24-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Nothing really new in history. A few *cough* years earlier it was the same for the auld codgers amongst us when Scotland played Italy in a WC qualifying decider in the afternoon, and teachers were feart that peeps would leave early to watch on the tellybox.

Here's the goals (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSU5QGF5mQM)

monktonharp
24-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Talking about when we had our new stands built.Did we ever play a midweek game with an afternoon kick-off?Pretty certain that we played auld Rangers midweek with an afternoon kick-off! in fact I am certain. was in the late 70's or v.early 80's iirc. dozens of us in the pit bottom, waiting on the cage, and we finished a dayshift early! mair than half were either Pans Huns or Ayrshire men that had transferred to our pit. cant remember the reason for an early k.o though.

monktonharp
24-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Later two Hibs supporting teachers asked me if I had got an extra programme I could give them.Struggling to get my heid round this...... was auld Rangers, but we were working at the time(not scabbing btw!!!) and huns were in our mix, at the pit bottom waiting to get up for a wash and off to the game. dozens had to apply for a sick line, underground (I have a sair heid :greengrin). was in the 70's.

heretoday
24-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Nothing really new in history. A few *cough* years earlier it was the same for the auld codgers amongst us when Scotland played Italy in a WC qualifying decider in the afternoon, and teachers were feart that peeps would leave early to watch on the tellybox.

Ha Ha! Thanks! I remember that.

It was qualifying for the 1966 WC. We got to watch it on a telly in the science lab at school. I think I'm right in saying Ron Yeats was played at striker for some reason. They could have done with him in defence by the looks of it!

monktonharp
24-01-2017, 08:13 PM
It was me said the miners strike but it wasn't it was the power cuts due to oil crisis

was checking up on the timing of the game - must have been towards the end of 1973

wevplayed a league cup q final first leg that was 0-0!which could have been it. Lost the second leg 2-0. May have been Davy cooper that scored in at ibrox:aok:more like what I thought.. I was working underground that day. positive.:agree: although Davie Cooper scored a screamer at Ibrox, and we'd beat them at ER 2 nil. we qualified , naw? where's Jonny ?

iwasthere1972
24-01-2017, 08:17 PM

I remember our class watching the match in school.

Deansy
24-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Almost the same as me but my teacher (Mr. Swann) wasn't standing behind me but he was standing behind the school entrance-door waiting for me the morning after - some xxxx had grassed me (probably a Jambo) !. It didn't go down too well when I tried to explain that it was only a maths prelim I'd missed so not as important as missing the real thing - which, in hindsight, probably wasn't the smartest thing to say to the head of the maths-department !

For a bean-pole, brylcreamed-nappered, humourless fxxxxr he certainly knew how to use the belt !

Www1875hfc
24-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Funniest bit for me being a programme collector is that they are not printing a programme for the game as there isn't enough time.

Ye couldnae make it up.

That could become a collectors item. ;) hahaha

Billy Whizz
24-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Ye couldnae make it up.

Must have a proforma account only with the printing Company.
To think they knew when the replay was, and didn't make provisions for it, shows you how well they are run

gaz1875
24-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Almost the same as me but my teacher (Mr. Swann) wasn't standing behind me but he was standing behind the school entrance-door waiting for me the morning after - some xxxx had grassed me (probably a Jambo) !. It didn't go down too well when I tried to explain that it was only a maths prelim I'd missed so not as important as missing the real thing - which, in hindsight, probably wasn't the smartest thing to say to the head of the maths-department !

For a bean-pole, brylcreamed-nappered, humourless fxxxxr he certainly knew how to use the belt !

Ex Boroughmuir?

ACLeith
24-01-2017, 09:05 PM

I had a great excuse to skip school that day. Getting a course of dental treatment (too much sugar back then = lots of fillings). After one filling I arranged the next appointment for the morning of that game then of course my mouth was too sore to go into school later in the day!

Part way through the game wished I hadn't bothered.

eastterrace
24-01-2017, 09:40 PM
I remember our class watching the match in school.

Yes I remember our teacher taken the class through to the telly room to watch the match at Milton house primary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is It On....
24-01-2017, 09:54 PM
No, they're just building the outer frame of the new stand around the current stand, then they're going to remove the current structure when the outer frame is finished.

IIRC, Liverpool did something similar.

EDIT: Here's a LINK (http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/05/photos-take-look-old-main-stand-demolished-week/) to an article on the Liverpool Stand, with some photos that show how it was done.

Liverpool and them being compared to each other? First time for everything I suppose.😀

Bostonhibby
24-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Liverpool and them being compared to each other? First time for everything I suppose.😀
They used to spout about having another one of their "special" relationships with Liverpool because they were lent that boy N'goo by Liverpool. Proved to be bang average and disappeared.

Skip forward a bit and Liverpool get even more special treatment by appearing on the Yams very own creditors list.

monktonharp
24-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Liverpool and them being compared to each other? First time for everything I suppose.😀the only way they can be paired with 'pool is the fact that hey bumped them for thousands of pounds. don't think that was ever repaid.

Keith_M
25-01-2017, 06:09 AM

I forgot to mention that Liverpool's new stand is nearly three times the size of theirs.... so roughly the same as the Romanov proposal, I suppose ;-)

JimBHibees
25-01-2017, 06:35 AM
They used to spout about having another one of their "special" relationships with Liverpool because they were lent that boy N'goo by Liverpool. Proved to be bang average and disappeared.

Skip forward a bit and Liverpool get even more special treatment by appearing on the Yams very own creditors list.

Michael Ngoo, Michael Ngoo,
He's worse than Nade
He's Michael Ngoo :greengrin

--------
25-01-2017, 09:09 AM
I had a great excuse to skip school that day. Getting a course of dental treatment (too much sugar back then = lots of fillings). After one filling I arranged the next appointment for the morning of that game then of course my mouth was too sore to go into school later in the day!

Part way through the game wished I hadn't bothered.

That was 1965, IIRC.

They did us 3-0 and The Genius Jock Stein played Ron Yeats (Liverpool carthorse) ahead of Neil Martin at #9. Italy gubbed us 3-0 in a canter.

Open terrace in the driving rain - men were real men in those days.

None of these seats and roofs and concourses. Or 'catering'. Bovril and a pie and a macaroon bar - changing ends at half-time, and the smell of tobacco and liniment drifting across the stadium ...

Nostalgia - ye cannae beat it.

tamig
25-01-2017, 09:12 AM
the only way they can be paired with 'pool is the fact that hey bumped them for thousands of pounds. don't think that was ever repaid.

Think they had to repay all "football debt".

Scott Allan Key
25-01-2017, 10:15 AM

The teachers held a limerick competition on a school exchange trip and the winning entry was:

There was a Maths teacher called Swann
Whose hair had gone terribly wrong
He said 'I not likey, because my hair gone all spikey
And now my Brylcreem's all gone'.

That was at Boroughmuir.

Kojock
25-01-2017, 10:41 AM
:aok:more like what I thought.. I was working underground that day. positive.:agree: although Davie Cooper scored a screamer at Ibrox, and we'd beat them at ER 2 nil. we qualified , naw? where's Jonny ?

There was a league cup tie October 1985 against old Hun we beat them 2-0 at ER and the 2nd leg at hunbrox they beat us 1-0 through a Davie Cooper screamer. I know the dates are correct as my daughter was born in the Monday and I was at the 2nd leg in the Wed

tamig
25-01-2017, 11:33 AM
There was a league cup tie October 1985 against old Hun we beat them 2-0 at ER and the 2nd leg at hunbrox they beat us 1-0 through a Davie Cooper screamer. I know the dates are correct as my daughter was born in the Monday and I was at the 2nd leg in the Wed

Aye that was the semi after the famous Pierce O'Leary QF at ER. Aberdeen humped us in the final - a top team they had though.

houstonhibbee
25-01-2017, 12:32 PM
The midweek afternoon game during the power cuts was around the end of 1973 and I think was 0-0 and maybe a league cup match. There weren't cameras due to the power cuts and I think a crowd of 10,000

ACLeith
25-01-2017, 12:38 PM
That was 1965, IIRC.

They did us 3-0 and The Genius Jock Stein played Ron Yeats (Liverpool carthorse) ahead of Neil Martin at #9. Italy gubbed us 3-0 in a canter.

Open terrace in the driving rain - men were real men in those days.

None of these seats and roofs and concourses. Or 'catering'. Bovril and a pie and a macaroon bar - changing ends at half-time, and the smell of tobacco and liniment drifting across the stadium ...

Nostalgia - ye cannae beat it.
Yup 1965. Remember it well but don't ask me what I had for breakfast yesterday! But you'll know all about that Doddie eh?

Ringothedog
25-01-2017, 12:39 PM
The midweek afternoon game during the power cuts was around the end of 1973 and I think was 0-0 and maybe a league cup match. There weren't cameras due to the power cuts and I think a crowd of 10,000

I was at the game and it was nearer 20000 at the game, it was indeed a league cup match and we were the holders

Deansy
25-01-2017, 02:22 PM
The teachers held a limerick competition on a school exchange trip and the winning entry was:

There was a Maths teacher called Swann
Whose hair had gone terribly wrong
He said 'I not likey, because my hair gone all spikey
And now my Brylcreem's all gone'.

That was at Boroughmuir.

Aye, the very same teacher - I was at Boroughmuir 1972-76. To be fair to 'Swanny' he wasn't all that bad, I always thought he was really determined to try and see us all do well. But boy, he really did know how to use that belt, he was second only to 'Taz Taylor' whose use of it left big red welts on your hands for days !!

Did you go to Boroughmuir as well ?

CockneyRebel
25-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Aye, the very same teacher - I was at Boroughmuir 1972-76. To be fair to 'Swanny' he wasn't all that bad, I always thought he was really determined to try and see us all do well. But boy, he really did know how to use that belt, he was second only to 'Taz Taylor' whose use of it left big red welts on your hands for days !!

Bunch of nancy boys - we used to get caned on the erchie, now those welts were sore.

Ringothedog
25-01-2017, 04:09 PM

I certainly did Alan!! we were in the same classes bud. Do you remember Brydon(English Teacher), jambo and very effeminate ?

BonnieFitbaTeam
25-01-2017, 04:20 PM
I certainly did Alan!! we were in the same classes bud. Do you remember Brydon(English Teacher), jambo and very effeminate ?

Legend. I recall him talking to two female pupils and one of them called him a dirty, old man. Without missing a beat he replied, "I resent the old" http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Hibs Class
25-01-2017, 04:37 PM

There generally weren't cameras at games in those days. I remember when I arrived at games in the 70s, one of the first things I did was to look at the TV gantry at the top of the old east terrace to see if the cameras were there, and to then figure out if it was for Saturday sportscene or Sunday scotsport. Also remember that our chairman and owner, Tom Hart, was very opposed to too much televised football so never really encouraged coverage (he might even have banned cameras, although I don't remember for certain). All that explains why there is such a dearth of tv footage of Hibs from that period.

houstonhibbee
25-01-2017, 04:41 PM
There generally weren't cameras at games in those days. I remember when I arrived at games in the 70s, one of the first things I did was to look at the TV gantry at the top of the old east terrace to see if the cameras were there, and to then figure out if it was for Saturday sportscene or Sunday scotsport. Also remember that our chairman and owner, Tom Hart, was very opposed to too much televised football so never really encouraged coverage (he might even have banned cameras, although I don't remember for certain). All that explains why there is such a dearth of tv footage of Hibs from that period.
True, although it would be unusual not to have cameras at a hibs rangers game

where'stheslope
25-01-2017, 04:52 PM

I never made the game as Ferranti had us working night-shift using generators in case of power cuts!

Also we had to sign on in Rose Street on Wednesday to get paid for the other days!!

When you think back, those were very grim times!

houstonhibbee
25-01-2017, 04:55 PM
I never made the game as Ferranti had us working night-shift using generators in case of power cuts!

Also we had to sign on in Rose Street on Wednesday to get paid for the other days!!

Did they not adjust winter time so that people could go to school/ work in daylight?

Keith_M
25-01-2017, 05:01 PM
Think they had to repay all "football debt".

I think you're getting confused with 'The Rangers International Football Club' (or New Hun to the rest of us)

Hearts didn't repay a penny to anybody.

givescotlandfreedom
25-01-2017, 05:02 PM

I was taught by a Mr Swan and he sounds like you describe. A bad tempered old goat with a rather unpleasantly fragrant way about him.

tamig
25-01-2017, 05:46 PM
I think you're getting confused with 'The Rangers International Football Club' (or New Hun to the rest of us)

Think this suggests otherwise - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13188935.Football_debt_settled_as_club_step_closer _to_fan_ownership/

Fanforlife
28-01-2017, 08:13 PM
Now a thread on sickbag discussing what they can do with FOH pledges after Budgie is paid back circa 2020/never, loandbehold some are now suggesting that the ****field and borstal parts can be rebuilt to hold up to another 6k folk,Ffs new stand ain't built yet and they are spraffing this ****. However they are definitely not deluded.!!! 😁

Alan62
28-01-2017, 08:22 PM

It's an interesting point you make here about how grim things were in the 70s. It would be nice to point out to the keen Brexiteers how much things have improved since then and how much of that progress has been driven by the EU's social policies. When I hear people talking about the current 'economic recession' in between sessions on Facebook on their brand new iPhone 7 and driving round the corner to pick up a takeaway, I feel like giving them a good skelp on the lug.

Deansy
29-01-2017, 07:23 AM

Certainly do remember 'Bertie' !! I liked him, he was always good for a laugh. True he was a tad effeminate (well, he was a Jambo !!) but he was just as horny as us teenage-boys - he and I got into trouble with Mr Romanes (mind, the 'Heidie' ??) for telling dirty jokes and being 'rude and offensive' with a girl in the class, who up until then, had joined in but then decided she didn't like it and reported us - fortunately it didn't go any further.

P.s sent you a PM.

I was taught by a Mr Swan and he sounds like you describe. A bad tempered old goat with a rather unpleasantly fragrant way about him.

Sadly, there's almost 30 years of a difference between you and me so Swanny (if it's the same guy) would be old by your time at school - when I knew him, I always felt he dressed too old-fashioned for his age as I genuinely thought he was possibly only in his late 20's/early 30's but it was like he was 'old before his time' ? He was also into wearing the old-style teacher's 'cloak' which I don't remember any of the other teachers wearing ??. Temperment-wise he wasn't the worst but he was no-nonsense and if he caught you not paying attention or talking to a mate, the belt would come out after one warning !. He was very fond of chess and used to run an 'After-school' club in his own time.

CropleyWasGod
29-01-2017, 07:54 AM

They did pay the football debt .

They also paid part of their secured debt.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

greenpaper55
29-01-2017, 08:26 AM
It's an interesting point you make here about how grim things were in the 70s. It would be nice to point out to the keen Brexiteers how much things have improved since then and how much of that progress has been driven by the EU's social policies. When I hear people talking about the current 'economic recession' in between sessions on Facebook on their brand new iPhone 7 and driving round the corner to pick up a takeaway, I feel like giving them a good skelp on the lug.

Would that be the bad old days when we used to make stuff in this country ! The strikes were caused by the unions wanting to turn us into another soviet union, the EU's social policies were the square root of FA to do with how things have changed.

bod
29-01-2017, 08:30 AM
Now a thread on sickbag discussing what they can do with FOH pledges after Budgie is paid back circa 2020/never, loandbehold some are now suggesting that the ****field and borstal parts can be rebuilt to hold up to another 6k folk,Ffs new stand ain't built yet and they are spraffing this ****. However they are definitely not deluded.!!! 😁

there's been threads on here suggesting we fill in our corners & we cant sell out on a regular basis

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2017, 11:45 AM
there's been threads on here suggesting we fill in our corners & we cant sell out on a regular basis

Yeh, but most of us recognise that the corners can be filled in with stuff other than seats .... its needed to enclose the stadium rather than to fulfil any fantasies of regular 20,000 crowds. I think most of us are long enough in the tooth to realise that the crowds we are getting just now have been very much the exception over the last 4 decades, not the rule.

The Yams on the other hand don't seem to recognise that the crowds they have had over the last 3 seasons or so are also a good few thousand over what has been the norm for them in seasons gone by ..... they have delusions of a 26,000 capacity stadium being required to satisfy a home support that will continue to grow in the next few seasons, which based on the evidence of a much longer period is highly unlikely.

Fanforlife
29-01-2017, 12:48 PM
there's been threads on here suggesting we fill in our corners & we cant sell out on a regular basisThink you will find that we have four completed stands though,so no similarity to the deluded from Gorgay!

Keith_M
29-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Think this suggests otherwise - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13188935.Football_debt_settled_as_club_step_closer _to_fan_ownership/

Fair enough

:aok:

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2017, 12:36 AM
During a wee visit to Sickbag to enjoy the hand wringing at the latest addition to Cathro's losses column I popped in to their new stand thread. There was a 2 minute You Tube clip taken from a drone flown over the stadium, even without my green tinted specs I was pleased to have it confirmed what a drab jerry built looking hole it is.

I doubt its going to look any better when the new stand completes its box like appearance ... no doubt that will also be covered in gallons of maroon and pink paint which will only add to the places depressing wet Sunday afternoon feel. As somebody else said, if Scotland is ever taken over in a fascist coup that will be the place they choose to carry out the executions.

Steve-O
30-01-2017, 03:18 AM
I remember having to skive school for that one!

Same! Got a note from my mum to say I was going to the dentist!

Think we won 2-0

Bostonhibby
30-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Fair enough

:aok:
They had to pay this one or they wouldn't get a licence from the sfa / spfl to play. Don't see this as some sort of magnanimous gesture by the charity thieves.