PDA

View Full Version : I feel sorry for big Holt

California-Hibs
21-01-2017, 06:01 PM
So, I'm sure i'll be in the minority here, but I like Grant Holt and find myself always wanting/hoping that he scores each week. The longer this drought goes on the more I feel for the lad as you can hear and read quite a few rumblings from the fans about not being pleased.

I feel he offers certain attributes and brings something different to the table. His hold up play is relatively good, he has a few assists, decent enough foot work for a big guy, and can noise up defenders during a game. Today in particular, after he had that shot saved to which Cummings knocked in the rebound, you could almost see the look of feeling for Holt on Jason's face as well as a few others. I'm sure they're behind him and want him to get that goal drought off his back too.

Whats peoples thoughts?

Pretty Boy
21-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Played well today. Should have scored but keeper made a good save and rebound was scored.

I like him.

21-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Thought he had a better game today tbf! I've been critical of him in the past but thought he played well today. Your right though, needs to start getting on the score sheet.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2017, 06:03 PM
He has been very good the last 2 weeks, so much more to his game than goals. He has a big part to play from now until the end of the season.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2017, 06:05 PM
I personally think he's past it, he did well today but so he should do, and they all had decent games.

Against better players he drifts wide and deep, and again for me its because he cant handle it anymore.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2017, 06:07 PM
21st January.
3 goals.
[emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bayern Bru
21-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Having Humphrey whipping balls in on a regular basis could lead to Holty getting a few goals.

I think he's on the wrong side of the twilight of his career but there's much more to his game than goals IMO.

matty_f
21-01-2017, 06:08 PM
I think he contributes well to games, he's a better player than his goal count suggests.

Slavers
21-01-2017, 06:09 PM
I think he offers us something different up front. Probably this will be his final season at Hibs but he could go out a hero with some important performances in a season with so much to play for.

Good player at the end of career giving us what he can.

B.H.F.C
21-01-2017, 06:10 PM
Thought he played well today. Still need to consider the opposition. Think Boyle will come in for him next week and we'll go back to the shape of the last couple of games.

GreenCastle
21-01-2017, 06:14 PM
Really like the guy.

You can tell he's coming towards end of his career and enjoying his football. He's taken to Hibs and I think he's good for th dressing room.

Last week he was really good when he came on and did well today.

Ok he didn't score and have loads of shots but linked up play.

Not the long term answer but doing a job helping us get promoted and that's good enough for me.

LithgaeHibby
21-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Holt did well today. Although he doesn't score a lot, his general link-up play brings others into the game. Lennon obviously likes him as he consistently subs Cummings off before him! I think he's given us a good option this season.

Mr White
21-01-2017, 06:24 PM
I think he contributes well to games, he's a better player than his goal count suggests.

:agree:

Much like Craig Brewster when he played for us. If Holt can help JC like Brewster did with GOC then he'll be remembered as a worthwhile signing imo.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2017, 06:25 PM
21st January.
3 goals.
[emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk21st of January, Hibs are 6 points clear. Holt has played a big part in that.

Paisley Hibby
21-01-2017, 06:31 PM
So, I'm sure i'll be in the minority here, but I like Grant Holt and find myself always wanting/hoping that he scores each week. The longer this drought goes on the more I feel for the lad as you can hear and read quite a few rumblings from the fans about not being pleased.

I feel he offers certain attributes and brings something different to the table. His hold up play is relatively good, he has a few assists, decent enough foot work for a big guy, and can noise up defenders during a game. Today in particular, after he had that shot saved to which Cummings knocked in the rebound, you could almost see the look of feeling for Holt on Jason's face as well as a few others. I'm sure they're behind him and want him to get that goal drought off his back too.

Whats peoples thoughts?

I thought he was immense today - supporting defence as well as attacking. He's a class act and we're lucky to have him.

NikGunnarsson
21-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Feel the same way, have backed him from the start. Really like his attitude and I think him just being around is improving our other strikers, he is key to us going up.

superfurryhibby
21-01-2017, 06:39 PM
Clearly past it, but works hard, gives of his best, here till the end of the season, deserving of fans backing.

That for me summarises Holt. Would have been nice for him to have got a goal.

Waxy
21-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Its like we have a striker curse last few years. Imagine a Dagnall/Vine partnership. That could almost be as bad as Sammon/Watt

A Hi-Bee
21-01-2017, 06:55 PM
Looking ahead to around the end of May 2017, Reading my crystal vase like, my prediction would be that the Club said goodbye to club legend Grant Holt who helped us to promotion and a successful defence of our fabled Scottish Cup, the club and supporters would like to thank him for being part of a successful team, and wish him all the best in the future.

He is an important part of our quest for promotion and I do think like some others, he brings to the side same as Brewster done, long may it continue.

JimBHibees
21-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Thought played well today compliments a lot of the more skilful players with his energy and physicality.

Hiber-nation
21-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Clearly past it, but works hard, gives of his best, here till the end of the season, deserving of fans backing.

That for me summarises Holt. Would have been nice for him to have got a goal.

Agree. His work rate is fantastic. You can see he just loves to play football even though his sharpness is long gone. He was a right pest today and the Rose defenders will be glad to see the back of him.

Pete
21-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Really like what he brings to the table. Not only does a lot go through him but you can see him communicating in the pitch and he looks like he enjoys being here.

It's a shame that it doesn't take much for fans to start grumbling about him.

Bobby's Cinema
21-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Hmm all about opinions. I have defended him to the hilt but today against non-league opposition he looked poor. Travelling up and down to Norwich every weekend at 36 year old can't be easy. Past it sadly but won't stop giving him support

Onion
21-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Whats peoples thoughts?

Deserved a goal more than anyone today but not sure he'll lose sleep over it. He was outstanding and a class above most on the park. You could see what a player he must have been in his prime, great feet and a footballers brain. For an old guy, his work rate was amazing.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Do we score more goals per game as a team when Holt plays? If we don't then all those arguing about the job he does bringing others into play are just making up excuses.

Onion
21-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Hmm all about opinions. I have defended him to the hilt but today against non-league opposition he looked poor. Travelling up and down to Norwich every weekend at 36 year old can't be easy. Past it sadly but won't stop giving him support

What on earth were you watching ?

Jonnyboy
21-01-2017, 07:30 PM

Seriously? Opinions right enough :greengrin Pretty sure he had three assists and gave their defenders a torrid time of it. Also, his flick on's and reading of the game were excellent today

BoltonHibee
21-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Everywhere you don't want him to be. Crap signing, brings **** all the team

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Everywhere you don't want him to be. Crap signing, brings **** all the team

Not made your mind up yet then Matey? :faf:

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Everywhere you don't want him to be. Crap signing, brings **** all the teamAbsolute rubbish

Pete
21-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Do we score more goals per game as a team when Holt plays? If we don't then all those arguing about the job he does bringing others into play are just making up excuses.

It really depends on the opposition and formation.

Nevertheless, we scored 8 with him in the team today.

BoltonHibee
21-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Not made your mind up yet then Matey? :faf:

Useless big waste of space.

Jonnyboy
21-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Useless big waste of space.

Who? Gary or Grant :greengrin

GreenCastle
21-01-2017, 07:45 PM

Does he travel back home every weekend to see family ?

Must be tiring if so.

Don't think he looked poor today - looked better than any Rose player and just because he didn't score didn't mean he had a bad game.

The guy is an important part of our squad this season and will be here till end of the season so we should get right behind him.

2016 Delivered
21-01-2017, 07:46 PM
:agree:

Much like Craig Brewster when he played for us. If Holt can help JC like Brewster did with GOC then he'll be remembered as a worthwhile signing imo.
Brewster had 4 years left in him after us. This is Holts last. He tries hard but he's done.

Bobby's Cinema
21-01-2017, 07:48 PM
He went through a decent spell when we first seen the holt Boyle partnership. Ever since we went to tannadice and went down 1-0 he has struggled imo. Still wiling him to score

Smartie
21-01-2017, 07:54 PM
I thought he was brilliant, I think he's done well from the moment he joined us and if he continues to influence games the way he did today I couldn't care less if he never scores a goal again in his life.

BoltonHibee
21-01-2017, 07:54 PM

[emoji23][emoji23] now you've got me thinking!

lapsedhibee
21-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Hmm Travelling up and down to Norwich every weekend at 36 year old can't be easy. Past it sadly but won't stop giving him support

Does he travel back home every weekend to see family ?
Must be tiring if so.

Wtf? Does Lennon make him jog there and back?

CRAZYHIBBY
21-01-2017, 07:59 PM
I'd rather see him moved on in January if I'm honest

supermcginn
21-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Great squad player for us! Not what he was but still a very intelligent player.

cmcd
21-01-2017, 08:13 PM

Wasn't going to post on here but feel I have to comment . To say that Holt was poor today is absolute nonsense .He worked his socks off bringing others into play He also performed wonderful turn and drag back in front of the Whatfield that left 2 players on their backside . He talks to Jason constantly. When there was a long break when the keeper was injured he was singing along with the fans . Great guy to have around I would think

tamig
21-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Played well today. Should have scored but keeper made a good save and rebound was scored.

I like him.

My sentiments too. Some pretty strange comments on this thread though.

wookie70
21-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I'm not a great fan of Holts and thought he was average in the first half. The second half he played very well but Keatings does a good job in the build up and scores far more goals as does the Squirrel. For me Holt is a good option for the bench.

Mr White
21-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Brewster had 4 years left in him after us. This is Holts last. He tries hard but he's done.

While I think you're probably right re Holt, it's with the benefit of hindsight re CB as most folk thought he was finished then and it's to his credit that he kept playing into his 40's. It doesn't mean his record with hibs will be remembered as being any better than Holts in years to come.

My_Wife_Camille
21-01-2017, 08:40 PM
The big man is a millionaire, has played and scored regularly in the EPL and now gets to play for the greatest team on earth.

I couldn't feel feel less sorry for him.

Totally agree reed that he's done well for us though. A few more goals would be nice but he plays an important role for us in this league.

J-C
21-01-2017, 10:26 PM

I thought his family lived in Carlisle.

Frazerbob
21-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Seems a good guy and clearly has the skills in his locker but IMHO he's a busted flush. Very similar to James Collins in that he works hard, has a great attitude but is a centre forward who can't score goals.....in the Championship. Half the team scored today against a junior side yet our centre forward couldn't put away his one glorious chance. The frustration was clear to see when he missed that chance too.

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2017, 10:41 PM

Both.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
21-01-2017, 10:47 PM
I thought Holt played well today, although can you imagine if he'd not?:greengrin

hibbysam
21-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Seems a good guy and clearly has the skills in his locker but IMHO he's a busted flush. Very similar to James Collins in that he works hard, has a great attitude but is a centre forward who can't score goals.....in the Championship. Half the team scored today against a junior side yet our centre forward couldn't put away his one glorious chance. The frustration was clear to see when he missed that chance too.

He missed one chance, which was a superb save from the keeper and set 4 of the goals up... To compare Grant Holt to James Collins is a total insult to the big man. He doesn't 'try' he is a very good footballer who puts himself about, hustles and bustles centre halves, holds the ball up etc.. the only complaint I have is he drifts out into the wide areas when I would love him to just stay right up top.

WeeRussell
21-01-2017, 10:54 PM
I've made no secret of the fact that I don't see it with Holt but always hoping he proves me wrong. Wasn't at the game today so couldn't comment.

I do think it's fairly telling however that a few months ago we were being called clueless for not being able to see what he brings to a game, and he's went from being a class act and exactly what we need, to people taking pity on him for not being on the scoresheet against Bonnyrigg Rose.

In all honesty, it was more some Hibs fans overdoing how brilliant the guy was in his opening games and their comments towards anyone that dared suggest he wasn't all that good, than Holt annoying me himself!

He may still play an important part in our promotion bid (and anything else for that matter) and will have my support along with the rest of our players.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2017, 11:11 PM
I've made no secret of the fact that I don't see it with Holt but always hoping he proves me wrong. Wasn't at the game today so couldn't comment.

I do think it's fairly telling however that a few months ago we were being called clueless for not being able to see what he brings to a game, and he's went from being a class act and exactly what we need, to people taking pity on him for not being on the scoresheet against Bonnyrigg Rose.

In all honesty, it was more some Hibs fans overdoing how brilliant the guy was in his opening games and their comments towards anyone that dared suggest he wasn't all that good, than Holt annoying me himself!

He may still play an important part in our promotion bid (and anything else for that matter) and will have my support along with the rest of our players.I couldn't care less if he scored or not today, he contributed well and directly assisted at least 1 goal. He played well in recent wins at Falkirk and Dumbarton as well.

dp00
21-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Thought he played well today and in some other games I've seen him, might not score but brings others into play .. we are certainly lucky to have him

calumhibee1
21-01-2017, 11:33 PM
I do think he offers a bit still without the goals, but there comes to a point when you're a forward who starts the majority of games and you've got 3 goals at this point that questions need to be asked no matter what else you're bringing to the team. If he doesn't start scoring then to me he needs dropped. Bring in Keats and while we would lose out in some aspects we'd gain more of a goal threat.

Libby Hibby
21-01-2017, 11:38 PM
I Ike him

Ozyhibby
22-01-2017, 12:28 AM
I Ike him

I think most fans do. He seems a decent bloke, engaging in Twitter etc and seems to have fitted in well. Everyone is willing him to do well.
Unfortunately he is not, and that's why Lennon keeps dropping him. We need a striker who scores goals because if Jason gets injured we could be in trouble. We can't afford to gamble on that.

Frazerbob
22-01-2017, 12:39 AM

He may still play an important part in our promotion bid (and anything else for that matter) and will have my support along with the rest of our players.

Not an insult at all. Which part do you disagree with, he tries hard, has a great attitude but doesn't score goals. For a centre forward of his pedigree to score three goal in this league is piss poor, regardless of how well he holds the ball up and brings others into play.

Like others, I like the guy and really wish he'd prove me wrong. You're not the only one to give him support but after half a season he's not done nearly enough.

lord bunberry
22-01-2017, 12:57 AM
He wouldn't be a first choice striker for me, but he definitely has a part to play in us winning the league and retaining the cup.

greenlex
22-01-2017, 04:24 AM
Whilst he contributes to the team he's not what I expected even at this stage in his career. I'm disappointed in him if I'm being honest.

jax67
22-01-2017, 05:57 AM
Seriously? Opinions right enough :greengrin Pretty sure he had three assists and gave their defenders a torrid time of it. Also, his flick on's and reading of the game were excellent today

His flicks and knock ons are quality, his work rate is far higher than others.
His hold up play is great too. I enjoy his battles with opposing defenders, he doesn't lose many. That's my opinion fwiw.

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I personally think he's past it, he did well today but so he should do, and they all had decent games.

Against better players he drifts wide and deep, and again for me its because he cant handle it anymore.
Very harsh indeed imo...not my fave player by any stretch but when we were under the cosh at Dumbarton last week he came on and did a brilliant job at holding the ball up and taking the pressure off our back 4. Yes he doesn't score enough goals but he certainly ain't "finished"

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Smartie
22-01-2017, 12:02 PM
His lack of goals could be a problem if there wasn't plenty of other sources of goals within the team.

But yesterday we had Cummings and Keatings who are goalscorers, Shinnie and McGinn who should be able to get goals from midfield (and did), wingback like Stevenson and Humphrey who should be able to get in at the back post and get goals (and did).

If you've got Holt holding the ball up, flicking it on, sending wee balls in behind the defence, knocking it out wide and being a general pest, you've got quite an effective forward line.

I don't mind him pulling wide. It leaves space for other players to move into and confuses defenders.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Very harsh indeed imo...not my fave player by any stretch but when we were under the cosh at Dumbarton last week he came on and did a brilliant job at holding the ball up and taking the pressure off our back 4. Yes he doesn't score enough goals but he certainly ain't "finished"

We were playing Dumbarton, we dont need him to defend we need him to keep his position and be the outlet that holds the ball up if we are under pressure.

He starts defending and where is that out ball the defenders look for or the midfielders, thats right at the back inviting the bloody pressure onto the defense?

He'd rather do someone elses job than his own in my opinion, yesterday he did probably have his best game in a Hibs shirt. Probably down to a few things, the opposition, playing where he should play and Hibs having 90% of the ball.

And the one time he was involved in defending, he gave a clear penalty away that the ref missed.

He should just stick to what he was brought into the club for, and thats be a centre forward who puts himself about against the oppositions centre halfs.

hibsbollah
22-01-2017, 12:23 PM
I like him. Intelligent. Good plan B sort of striker.

Swedish hibee
22-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Nah from me. Not a fan. I was hoping he'd be gone this month.

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2017, 12:32 PM
We were playing Dumbarton, we dont need him to defend we need him to keep his position and be the outlet that holds the ball up if we are under pressure.

He starts defending and where is that out ball the defenders look for or the midfielders, thats right at the back inviting the bloody pressure onto the defense?

He'd rather do someone elses job than his own in my opinion, yesterday he did probably have his best game in a Hibs shirt. Probably down to a few things, the opposition, playing where he should play and Hibs having 90% of the ball.

And the one time he was involved in defending, he gave a clear penalty away that the ref missed.

He should just stick to what he was brought into the club for, and thats be a centre forward who puts himself about against the oppositions centre halfs.
He wasn't defending that's my point...he cam on at a time when we were under the cosh and made the ball stick up top...brought Boyle into the game and tbh Boyle should have scored twice thanks to Holt. I think ur comments on him are very harsh indeed...good team.player

sleeping giant
22-01-2017, 12:32 PM
I like him. Intelligent. Good plan B sort of striker.

Agreed .
He has a role to play.