PDA

View Full Version : NHC SPFL negotiating new TV deal

WS Hibs
20-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Just been reading that Neil Doncaster (along with representatives from many of the Premiership clubs) has been down in London starting off negotiations for the next TV deal.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1378458-spfl-club-chiefs-in-london-to-bid-for-record-new-tv-deal/?utm_content=bufferce6ed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Since I don't trust Doncaster to deliver much of an outcome for Scottish football, I was wondering what people on here think would be the best deal for the SPFL - the current deal is £82m over four seasons. Personally I'd love to see us tell Sky to GTF unless they make a seriously big bid, because BT Sport at least look like they care about Scottish football.

The_Horde
20-01-2017, 12:22 AM
Tv dude: So you're current deal is 5 million. We propose we take that down to around 2m

Doncaster: That's outrageous and not very fair. How's 500k sound, about right?

Nicho87
20-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Talks in London sums it up really. Doncaster still running the show is pathetic.

jgl07
20-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Tv dude: So you're current deal is 5 million. We propose we take that down to around 2m

Sky: No deal we're looking for at least £1 million, so pay up!

Sir David Gray
20-01-2017, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't trust Neil Doncaster with anything, the man would struggle to sell a thermal jacket to an Eskimo.

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2017, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't trust Neil Doncaster with anything, the man would struggle to sell a thermal jacket to an Eskimo.

He's managed to sell himself well enough to the CEOs of the member clubs.

3pm
20-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Hope they go with BT.

HFCdeb
20-01-2017, 07:18 AM

This. Incompetent failure on every level.

bingo70
20-01-2017, 07:20 AM
That agent guy on twitter made a good point about getting sky and bt to bid against each other rather than with each other. The demand for old firm games is so high the fear of losing those matches could drive up the price.

I'd personally tell sky to gtf unless they started trying to actually promote our game and not give it token coverage.

blackpoolhibs
20-01-2017, 07:24 AM
I cant believe this clown still has the support of all the member clubs, all he and his mate regan have done is talk down our game since they arrived in their jobs.

Unless they are doing great things that none of us get to hear or see, why are they still representing our game?

I dont know one fan who's confident they will do ANYTHING that will improve the game in Scotland.

O'Rourke3
20-01-2017, 07:59 AM
There will be a sevco clause writen in to this one... just you watch!

Sent via the bushes @ EM

neil7908
20-01-2017, 08:43 AM
Doncaster's only interest is the Old Firm, he couldn't care less about the rest of Scottish football.

I'd be surprised if he could even name all the clubs in the SPL!

green&left
20-01-2017, 09:13 AM
With BT throwing cash about like its going out of fashion hopefully they fancy 4 OF derbies (and 4 Edinburgh derbies to a much lesser extent) and bid for sole rights. Coverage is far superior and hopefully with one broadcaster we have a dedicated set of TV kick-off times instead of the current situation where Sky will try and slot it in anywhere as long as it doesn't interfere with English football.

Edit: See the current contract runs until 2020 infact so don't expect any changes soon :rolleyes:

cleanyman
20-01-2017, 10:08 AM
The bidding should start at £100 million

tamig
20-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Doncaster's only interest is the Old Firm, he couldn't care less about the rest of Scottish football.

To be fair, I suspect the OF is the only carrot that both Sky and BT will be interested in when it comes to negotiating.

CropleyWasGod
20-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Since the SPL was abolished in 2013, it's probably not in his job spec. :greengrin

On the wider point, now that there is a credible alternative to Sky, he does have another weapon in his bag.

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2017, 11:44 AM

Any idea why the other clubs don't replace him?

Spike Mandela
20-01-2017, 11:51 AM
What are the current voting rights in the SPFL? Did they ever take the opportunity to remove the effective veto the OF had via the 11-1 system?

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2017, 11:52 AM
What are the current voting rights in the SPFL? Did they ever take the opportunity to remove the effective veto the OF had via the 11-1 system?

I seem to recall that some votes are now 10-2 or 9-3 but the major calls remain as 11-1.

Could be talking mince though.

lord bunberry
20-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Any idea why the other clubs don't replace him?
Because he takes all the heat off them. Everybody thinks he's an incompetent fool, but he's been in his job for a long time. He only does what the clubs want him to do. Hibs are as bad has the rest when it comes to Doncaster.

jdships
20-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Hope they go with BT.

:agree::thumbsup:

patlowe
20-01-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm convinced we get well and truly shafted by our TV deal. People talk as if the TV companies give us money as some sort of charity but in my view they get an absolute bargain.

I've had a quick look at some viewing figures from Scottish and English football (2015/16). The semi final between Celtic and Rangers got 500k viewing figures across the UK, while Hibs v Hearts got 150k. In comparison, the Manchester derby, the biggest viewing audience in England over the year, got 1.98m viewers. Now, 150 or 500k is not a gigantic audience, but the biggest television audience in English football last season was only four times bigger than ours (13x bigger than the Edinburgh derby). From what I can tell the less popular matches in the Premiership get around 350-400k viewers, while it's about 40-70k in Scotland.

Of course, that is not a scientific analysis of the respective value of our football leagues (anyone up for it?) but to me it gives a little perspective into how outrageous the English football deal is in comparison to ours. I'm not suggesting we should get anywhere close to the same amount of money but the idea that our professional football system deserves 100x less from Sky and BT than one division in England is completely ridiculous IMO. Don't even mention the pitiful amount we sold the play-offs for.

You can't really blame the television companies, they're just horrible, profit-making machines looking for the best deal. We are just awful at selling our game.

Fuzzywuzzy
20-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Reality is they aren't interested in anyone bar the are cheeks. As long as they have those games they couldn't give a flying *****

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2017, 02:21 PM
I'm sure I saw somewhere that Scotland's TV deal doesn't even match up to deals in countries of a similar size like Norway and Denmark. Its our curse that we are neighbours with the EPL and English Championship .... the vast majority of UK TV money both terrestrial and satellite is concentrated on these leagues.

With BT now a serious rival to SKY sports you would hope that we have a bit more leverage than we did the last time we negotiated this deal, lets hope that for once Doncaster can step up to the plate, but like everybody else I'm not exactly brimming with confidence that he is capable of that ....... His absolute inability to talk up our game wont have been missed by the TV people, in view of which I cant see how he is capable of selling it to them.

I know its controversial but he could do a lot worse than walk into these negotiations with a plan to expand the Premiership to 14 or 16 teams ...... that would pretty well give him a minimum of 8 of Scotland's hardest fought derby matches to offer to the highest bidder, 4 old firm, 2 Edinburgh and 2 Dundee .... back that up with Aberdeen v Dundee Utd and an exciting play off package and he just might get a decent deal.

So far as I'm aware BTs plan to eat into SKYs European coverage hasn't exactly been a roaring success. SKY apparently have seen a downturn in audiences for their Champions League coverage and BT even though they have done their best to be positive about it haven't had the return they had hoped for from their exclusive coverage of the Europa League ..... It probably doesn't help that most English clubs and their fans look on it as nothing more than a bloody inconvenience.

In view of that perhaps matches between clubs folk in England have actually heard of like Hibs v Rangers or Hearts v Celtic will prove more attractive to SKY / BT than European games ...... the audiences might not be a lot bigger, but I'm willing to bet the money they have to pay for them will be a good bit less even if they do have to pay more for them than they have in the past.

Failing all that offer Barry Hearn 100K to negotiate the deal for us, I bet they couldn't take the piss out of him :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
20-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Sky and BT have sports channels to fill with content. Given how other deals have gone in other countries, there should surely be a 50% or more increase in what they pay. The SPFL should look further afield. Eurosport (owned by Discovery Communications) won Olympic rights from 2022 for £900m. Approach them to see if they're interested.

brog
20-01-2017, 03:31 PM
I'm sure I saw somewhere that Scotland's TV deal doesn't even match up to deals in countries of a similar size like Norway and Denmark. Its our curse that we are neighbours with the EPL and English Championship .... the vast majority of UK TV money both terrestrial and satellite is concentrated on these leagues.

With BT now a serious rival to SKY sports you would hope that we have a bit more leverage than we did the last time we negotiated this deal, lets hope that for once Doncaster can step up to the plate, but like everybody else I'm not exactly brimming with confidence that he is capable of that ....... His absolute inability to talk up our game wont have been missed by the TV people, in view of which I cant see how he is capable of selling it to them.

I know its controversial but he could do a lot worse than walk into these negotiations with a plan to expand the Premiership to 14 or 16 teams ...... that would pretty well give him a minimum of 8 of Scotland's hardest fought derby matches to offer to the highest bidder, 4 old firm, 2 Edinburgh and 2 Dundee .... back that up with Aberdeen v Dundee Utd and an exciting play off package and he just might get a decent deal.

So far as I'm aware BTs plan to eat into SKYs European coverage hasn't exactly been a roaring success. SKY apparently have seen a downturn in audiences for their Champions League coverage and BT even though they have done their best to be positive about it haven't had the return they had hoped for from their exclusive coverage of the Europa League ..... It probably doesn't help that most English clubs and their fans look on it as nothing more than a bloody inconvenience.

In view of that perhaps matches between clubs folk in England have actually heard of like Hibs v Rangers or Hearts v Celtic will prove more attractive to SKY / BT than European games ...... the audiences might not be a lot bigger, but I'm willing to bet the money they have to pay for them will be a good bit less even if they do have to pay more for them than they have in the past.

Failing all that offer Barry Hearn 100K to negotiate the deal for us, I bet they couldn't take the piss out of him :greengrin

Unless I'm mistaken Sky don't have any European coverage now. I agree though that it could be in decline, personally I have very little interest in it. In fact when BT took it over my Virgin subs went up by £3 a month. I called them up & told them I didn't want it. The person I spoke to said they'd been deluged with calls & quickly knocked the increase off. However BT have increased their market share & rightly or wrongly they claim it's partly down to Champions League coverage. Meanwhile TV audiences for EPL football are in serious decline for the 1st time.

snooky
20-01-2017, 03:45 PM
That old parlour game being revived down in London I see. "Pin The Rangers scarf on The Donkey" :coffee:

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-01-2017, 03:58 PM

:agree:

Iain G
20-01-2017, 04:08 PM
The bidding should start at £100 million

Do you think someone would pay that for Doncaster? :greengrin

where'stheslope
20-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Do you think someone would pay that for Doncaster? :greengrin

Only if its the horse racing course!!!!

Thecat23
20-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Doncaster is a ****ing idiot.

He'll sit down tell them they have the "wonderful"old firm back and to give them more than anyone because we are all ***** and the old firm are so ****ing wonderful.

Get yourself and your Tv deal to **** you gimp of a man.

tamig
20-01-2017, 07:55 PM

He'll sit down tell them they have the "wonderful"old firm back and to give them more than anyone because we are all ***** and the old firm are so ****ing wonderful.

A big fan of the Donny boy then? 😁

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2017, 08:28 PM

The clubs employ him so he'll just be carrying out their orders.

I'm not really sure why this is so difficult to understand.

lord bunberry
20-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Exactly. Don't get annoyed at Doncaster, get annoyed at the clubs including ours who continue to employ him.

Thecat23
20-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Well shows how ****ing stupid we are as a club then.

Thecat23
20-01-2017, 08:44 PM
A big fan of the Donny boy then? 😁

Haha oh yeah he's great! 😁👍🏼

Thecat23
20-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Exactly. Don't get annoyed at Doncaster, get annoyed at the clubs including ours who continue to employ him.

If that's the best the clubs can come up with games up the pole.

lord bunberry
20-01-2017, 08:54 PM
If that's the best the clubs can come up with games up the pole.
I agree, **** knows what he brings to the table.

Thecat23
20-01-2017, 09:05 PM
I agree, **** knows what he brings to the table.

He brings nothing, and he is ruining our game because the end of the day he's the face of it.

Bostonhibby
20-01-2017, 10:25 PM
I reckon Doncaster will have a fantastic time going round London on the official red tourist bus with all the Chinese visitors before arriving back in Glasgow to reassure Scottish football that he has secured us not just beads but also mirrors in return for our disproportionate contribution to the sports subscription to sky and or BT.

Bostonhibby
20-01-2017, 10:38 PM

I'm not having that. Some of my best friends are idiots and they've never knowingly done any damage to football in Scotland

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2017, 11:26 PM
I reckon Doncaster will have a fantastic time going round London on the official red tourist bus with all the Chinese visitors before arriving back in Glasgow to reassure Scottish football that he has secured us not just beads but also mirrors in return for our disproportionate contribution to the sports subscription to sky and or BT.

He was taking some of the CEOs with him this time so we'll have plenty of folk to complain about next time.

Bostonhibby
20-01-2017, 11:32 PM
He was taking some of the CEOs with him this time so we'll have plenty of folk to complain about next time.
Looking good then. Sadly, as I'm sure you know they're lambs to the slaughter here generally only hope is that the TV moguls find themselves up against petrie in the arm wrestling stage of the negotiations or Mrs Budge doing her now legendary smoke and mirrors trick

Thecat23
20-01-2017, 11:41 PM

I take it you feel he's doing a good job yeah?

jgl07
20-01-2017, 11:57 PM
The Danish and Norwegian Leagues offer a better product than the SPFL. The playing standards are higher and the leagues have to be more competitive! Celtic are running away with the Preniership and Hibs look like doing the same with the Championship.

Err its not surprising that Sky have had a downturn in Champions League coverge as they do not cover it. BT have rights to both CL and EL.

lord bunberry
21-01-2017, 12:11 AM
I take it you feel he's doing a good job yeah?
That's not the impression I get. He's only making the point that Doncaster isn't the bad guy in this movie. He's only there saying what he's saying because hibs and all the other clubs are writing his script.

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 07:01 AM
That's not the impression I get. He's only making the point that Doncaster isn't the bad guy in this movie. He's only there saying what he's saying because hibs and all the other clubs are writing his script.

But he's also been involved in making ridiculous decisions that have nothing to do with other clubs. He told lies about The Rangers and how we basically would crumble without them. Those were his words remember!

The mans a clown and shouldn't be near football.

CropleyWasGod
21-01-2017, 08:44 AM
But he's also been involved in making ridiculous decisions that have nothing to do with other clubs. He told lies about The Rangers and how we basically would crumble without them. Those were his words remember!

Weren't they Regan's words?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Beefster
21-01-2017, 08:51 AM
Because he takes all the heat off them. Everybody thinks he's an incompetent fool, but he's been in his job for a long time. He only does what the clubs want him to do. Hibs are as bad has the rest when it comes to Doncaster.

That's not true. He's in the job because the clubs think that, in the main, he does a decent job. He may not be very good in public and the fans may hate him but we don't see 99% of the stuff that he does.

lapsedhibee
21-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Do we know this? Do we know that RP and LD are not, out of the public view, campaigning vociferously for his removal? :dunno:

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Spot on. Thank you My Lord.

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2017, 09:36 AM

You got a link?

Dashing Bob S
21-01-2017, 10:02 AM

This x 1000.

Please, stop all this 'Doncaster's not the bad guy' bull****. The guy is an incompetent myopic OF arselicker.

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Weren't they Regan's words?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Yes along with Doncaster. Both are an utter disgrace!

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 10:04 AM
You got a link?

Will have a look when home.

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 10:07 AM
This x 1000.

Please, stop all this 'Doncaster's not the bad guy' bull****. The guy is an incompetent myopic OF arselicker.

Mans a clown he really is.

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 10:10 AM
You got a link?

Neil Doncaster, the SPL chief executive, argues this distinction should not mean the "newco" Rangers have to start in the Third Division. He has repeatedly stated that BSkyB and ESPN, who have committed £80m to a five-year TV deal from 2012-17, the Clydesdale Bank and other SPL sponsors, require as a condition of their financial commitment that Rangers and Celtic, the two box office names, both be in the SPL.

Doncaster told the SFL clubs that the broadcasters and sponsors could live with Rangers out of the SPL for a minimum of one season, but are not interested in broadcasting the Third Division and would walk away or seek greatly reduced renegotiations. The SFL clubs, without bumper attendances or a TV deal, rely on a payment from the SPL agreed when the top clubs broke away, now around £2m. Doncaster has made himself extremely unpopular warning that it, too, would fall away if the SPL collapsed into financial chaos, with reduced TV deals and wages to pay. Some SFL clubs have vowed they would still hold the SPL to it.

Sky did show third division games and still covered other. He lied!

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Neil Doncaster, the SPL chief executive, argues this distinction should not mean the "newco" Rangers have to start in the Third Division. He has repeatedly stated that BSkyB and ESPN, who have committed £80m to a five-year TV deal from 2012-17, the Clydesdale Bank and other SPL sponsors, require as a condition of their financial commitment that Rangers and Celtic, the two box office names, both be in the SPL.

Doncaster told the SFL clubs that the broadcasters and sponsors could live with Rangers out of the SPL for a minimum of one season, but are not interested in broadcasting the Third Division and would walk away or seek greatly reduced renegotiations. The SFL clubs, without bumper attendances or a TV deal, rely on a payment from the SPL agreed when the top clubs broke away, now around £2m. Doncaster has made himself extremely unpopular warning that it, too, would fall away if the SPL collapsed into financial chaos, with reduced TV deals and wages to pay. Some SFL clubs have vowed they would still hold the SPL to it.

Sky did show third division games and still covered other. He lied!

I take it all back! His employers should sack him.

Who are his employers again? :greengrin

bingo70
21-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Apart from the obvious things to like about Doncaster he also looks far too much like the guy off the chase for my liking.

Completely ruins an otherwise excellent game show for me so for that reason alone get him to ****.

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 11:57 AM
I take it all back! His employers should sack him.

Who are his employers again? :greengrin

We have a lot to answer for if we are happy with how he's doing.

Thecat23
21-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Apart from the obvious things to like about Doncaster he also looks far too much like the guy off the chase for my liking.

Completely ruins an otherwise excellent game show for me so for that reason alone get him to ****.

He does eh 😂😂 made me chuckle this post.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-01-2017, 12:09 PM

😂😂😂😂 belter 👏👏👏

lord bunberry
21-01-2017, 12:37 PM
That's not true. He's in the job because the clubs think that, in the main, he does a decent job. He may not be very good in public and the fans may hate him but we don't see 99% of the stuff that he does.
The fact that he's not good in public and the fans hate him is exactly why he takes the heat off the real decision makers. He's a puppet and the clubs are pulling the strings.
For the record I can't stand him and wish he would disappea, never to be seen again.

A Hi-Bee
21-01-2017, 03:12 PM

A no my memory is perhaps no as good as it used to be, but did our own chairman (the Tasche) not have a very large input into screwing up the original sky deal which would have put a lot of cash into Scottish football, all seems to have been forgotten about.

Rangers visitor
21-01-2017, 03:20 PM
A no my memory is perhaps no as good as it used to be, but did our own chairman (the Tasche) not have a very large input into screwing up the original sky deal which would have put a lot of cash into Scottish football, all seems to have been forgotten about.

A deal with Sky was on the table but everyone else bar Rangers and Celtic went for another option which went tits up. Eventually Setanta moved in for less money

McD
21-01-2017, 07:44 PM
A deal with Sky was on the table but everyone else bar Rangers and Celtic went for another option which went tits up. Eventually Setanta moved in for less money

Im thought it was the other way around....rantic screwed the original sky deal (utilising the ridiculous 11-1 voting rule) because they wanted even more of the pie....which led to setanta on less money.

DavieRoy
21-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Let's ask the reason we get shafted from our TV deal?

The SPL backed the wrong horse in 2002. They knocked back and offer from Sky that was the same as they got in 1998, what happened? They knocked it back and had to take half that offer from the BBC.

In 2008, Sky bid £120 million, Setanta bid £125 million, most of the clubs went with Setanta, despite the extra £5 million being over 4 years between 12 clubs. No proper due dilligence, Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen wanted Sky, the rest went with Setanta, who go bust and they go back to Sky, who had since spent money on the Football League and SFA contracts (the SFA did check out Setanta, knocked them back and got a good deal from Sky and BBC), hence Sky had them. Not the TV companies fault in my view. They are not a charity.

We are trusting many of the same people to negotiate again!!

BT have freshened things up, I like there coverage, although I think familiarity breeds contempt. Sky show more Scottish material per week than BT, they send coverage to Championship games, some good features this week. I like their On Demand section. I hope they put up more archive games on it.

Prefer Ian Crocker to Derek Rae too.

Sometimes I think BT try too hard. Chris Sutton is wearing thin. Trying to be controversial for the sake of it. They do that Friday show now and fair play, but I got the impression that they only did it as an excuse to talk about Celtic and Rangers when they are not at a Celtic or Rangers game.