PDA

View Full Version : The Asbo Stand

Dashing Bob S
19-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Is this the last time we'll see it?

StevieC
19-01-2017, 07:32 AM
I got the impression that what is getting put up just now is the framework for the roof, built around the existing stand, and that there was not full funding in place yet for a replacement stand??

Keith_M
19-01-2017, 07:43 AM
It's probably the last time Hibs will see it*, but it's planned to keep it open until the end of the season.

* Unless, of course, we have get to put Hearts out (again) in a Scottish Cup tie.

Bostonhibby
19-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Potentially but who knows when we will finally see it's replacement complete.

jgl07
19-01-2017, 08:45 AM
They appear to be carrying out preparatory works diverting services. I don't see the stand closing any time soon. I still think that Hearts will need to move out of Tynecastle for (part?) of a season unless they are planning to frantically reduce the number of season tickets.

--------
19-01-2017, 08:46 AM
I got the impression that what is getting put up just now is the framework for the roof, built around the existing stand, and that there was not full funding in place yet for a replacement stand??

You mean they're building the framework for the roof of the new one around and above the old one? :confused:

Hillsidehibby
19-01-2017, 08:57 AM
Not sure what to wear on Saturday.

Normal attire or full PPE??

scoopyboy
19-01-2017, 08:59 AM
You mean they're building the framework for the roof of the new one around and above the old one? :confused:

Correct.

California-Hibs
19-01-2017, 09:18 AM
They really should leave building modern completed stadiums to us.

kevo1875
19-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Not sure what to wear on Saturday.

Normal attire or full PPE??

Face mask and gloves are essential but that's just normal protection when walking through gorgie anyway

--------
19-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Correct.

So eventually the Pig-Pen will be standing there framed by the skeletal framework of the to-be-completed Pig-Pen Mk 2.

At what point do they intend to actually start demolishing P-P Mk 1 to make way for P-P Mk 2?

This could get really surreal - a stand inside a stand inside a stand ....

When would they ever know they had reached the REAL new Pig-Pen? When they disappeared through a wormhole in their manky Jambo universe?

tamig
19-01-2017, 10:13 AM
So eventually the Pig-Pen will be standing there framed by the skeletal framework of the to-be-completed Pig-Pen Mk 2.

At what point do they intend to actually start demolishing P-P Mk 1 to make way for P-P Mk 2?

When would they ever know they had reached the REAL new Pig-Pen? When they disappeared through a wormhole in their manky Jambo universe?

I believe the existing asbo structure is due to come down towards the end of the current season. I think greenginger may have the full details.

--------
19-01-2017, 10:18 AM
I believe the existing asbo structure is due to come down towards the end of the current season. I think greenginger may have the full details.

Wouldn't it be a shame if it fell down before then? :devil:

greenginger
19-01-2017, 10:20 AM
I was speaking to a couple of the contractors working on site yesterday.

The idea seems to be the assembled main beam for the new stand will be hoisted over the old stand and fixed on top of the existing corner supports. That is all that will be done until the end of season and will save a couple of weeks time for the new stand construction.

Pity they don't have a building warrant for any of this work, but seeing as they don't have a building warrant for new works under the Wheatfield Stand which are now occupied and operating , I don't suppose another regulation breach by the cooncil's pet club is a problem.

--------
19-01-2017, 10:26 AM
I was speaking to a couple of the contractors working on site yesterday.

The idea seems to be the assembled main beam for the new stand will be hoisted over the old stand and fixed on top of the existing corner supports. That is all that will be done until the end of season and will save a couple of weeks time for the new stand construction.

Pity they don't have a building warrant for any of this work, but seeing as they don't have a building warrant for new works under the Wheatfield Stand which are now occupied and operating , I don't suppose another regulation breach by the cooncil's pet club is a problem.

So they don't have warrants for this work? What happens if there's an accident? Say a workman is seriously injured? Do they send him to injurylawyers4u.co?

greenginger
19-01-2017, 10:34 AM
So they don't have warrants for this work? What happens if there's an accident? Say a workman is seriously injured? Do they send him to injurylawyers4u.co?

There's still time for the warrant for the stand work to be issued, its assembly work going on just now.

Its the new club shop and ticket office operating from the new construction under the Wheatfield Stand that could cause them problems.

The Council website still notes the warrant application for this work as " pending consideration ". That being the case there can be no completion certificate or certificate of temporary occupation for the project.

If there was an incident I'm pretty sure their insurers would tell them they were not covered.

NAE NOOKIE
19-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Its a real shame, that old stand is one of the finest examples of asbestos construction left in Scotland, if you ask me Historic Scotland has been lax in not slapping a preservation order on it.

Many Yams have fond memories of flocking from the stand after games to buy the pink news and straining to read the match report through the spots of blood covering the print coughed up from their fibre infested lungs. Will the new stand have the charm of bits falling off the roof into their Bovril? The excitement of watching the ball disappear from view as its constantly lumped up the park and wondering where it will come down is another Yam tradition that will go, as will their unique game of get to the bottom of the exit stairs before the lightbulb pops and everything goes dark.

Sad times :bitchy:

Bobo
19-01-2017, 12:24 PM

Yamception ... they've never really been able to grasp reality. :wink:

Green Reaper
19-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Yamception ... they've never really been able to grasp reality. :wink:

Sounds like a Russian made stand to me

Booked4Being-Ugly
19-01-2017, 04:54 PM
Will they be keeping the 'Beware Pickpockets' sign as they'll still need that!.

beensaidbefore
19-01-2017, 04:58 PM

I was speaking with someone who is in the know for hearts stuff. The plan is to build the shell around the existing stand, then demolish the old one in the closed season, and then putting seats etc. Seems an enormous task, but apparently that's the plan so as not to lose ST holders.

where'stheslope
19-01-2017, 05:04 PM
There's still time for the warrant for the stand work to be issued, its assembly work going on just now.

Its the new club shop and ticket office operating from the new construction under the Wheatfield Stand that could cause them problems.

The Council website still notes the warrant application for this work as " pending consideration ". That being the case there can be no completion certificate or certificate of temporary occupation for the project.

If there was an incident I'm pretty sure their insurers would tell them they were not covered.

Not sure but I think they will have to prepare all the required concrete foundations before they start the main build?

I think when they did the 4 supporting towers, the foundations had to cure for 3 months before they could be used?

So they could need more supporting structures for a larger stand, it could maybe come under ground works?

Bostonhibby
19-01-2017, 05:05 PM
Will they be keeping the 'Beware Pickpockets' sign as they'll still need that!.
They're gonna need a bigger sign as they modernise and get up to date with all the varieties of thievery that has blackened their clubs name since those early days when pickpockets were the only plague the famous old atmospheric effigy suffered.

jgl07
20-01-2017, 04:50 PM
I don't think they will be doing anything to the Main Stand apart from diverting services at the rear as preparatory works. It will certAinly be possible to build the upper tier and the (part of?) the roof behind the old stand. Maybe the idea is to relocate the season ticket holders to the upper tier and close the Main Stand.

The problems then is how the hell do you demolish it with stands built all around it? This would have to be done in the close season which is very short in the SPL with the winter break. Bringing machines on to the Tynie pitch to carry out the demolition might improve the quality of the playing surface?

The improvements are long overdue but I am still not convinced that it can be done without either relocating to another stadium or dropping the capacity to circa 12,000 for a season.

I am still waiting for anyone to explain how it can be done.

Scouse Hibee
20-01-2017, 06:08 PM
I don't think they will be doing anything to the Main Stand apart from diverting services at the rear as preparatory works. It will certAinly be possible to build the upper tier and the (part of?) the roof behind the old stand. Maybe the idea is to relocate the season ticket holders to the upper tier and close the Main Stand.

The problems then is how the hell do you demolish it with stands built all around it? This would have to be done in the close season which is very short in the SPL with the winter break. Bringing machines on to the Tynie pitch to carry out the demolition might improve the quality of the playing surface?

The improvements are long overdue but I am still not convinced that it can be done without either relocating to another stadium or dropping the capacity to circa 12,000 for a season.

I am still waiting for anyone to explain how it can be done.

I imagine they will bring machinery pitch side and have the first couple of home games next season switched to allow them longer. Pretty similar to what Liverpool done when building their new stand over the old one too without disrupting ST holders.