PDA

View Full Version : Media George McCluskey talks about Souness

Carheenlea
16-01-2017, 09:20 PM
George McCluskey talks about that kick from Souness.

https://twitter.com/bbcsportscot/status/821110049523298309

superfurryhibby
16-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Quite enjoyed listening to McCluskey. He told some good stories during the interview. I liked hearing about the Stein -Fallon double act when trying to persuade the young George's parents that Celtic were the club for him to sign for ( at a time when other suitors were sniffing around).

McCluskey also said that John Greig advised him he was going to break his legs on his debut in an old firm game and then retracted the statement afterwards, saying it's all about the psychoogical edge and not personal.

Decent player McCluskey was in his prime, the version we saw at Hibs possessed a lot of skill, but was as slow as a carthorse. Given that he was still in his 20's, I suspect his lifestyle wasn't exactly comparable to that of a modern day player.

truehibernian
16-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Quite enjoyed listening to McCluskey. He told some good stories during the interview. I liked hearing about the Stein -Fallon double act when trying to persuade the young George's parents that Celtic were the club for him to sign for ( at a time when other suitors were sniffing around).

McCluskey also said that John Greig advised him he was going to break his legs on his debut in an old firm game and then retracted the statement afterwards, saying it's all about the psychoogical edge and not personal.

Decent player McCluskey was in his prime, the version we saw at Hibs possessed a lot of skill, but was as slow as a carthorse. Given that he was still in his 20's, I suspect his lifestyle wasn't exactly comparable to that of a modern day player.

He's bang on about Souness - pretend hard man, only reserved it for the pitch where there was a referee. Like Roy Keane - played on the ego and reputation. Both great players but can't help thinking because the hype made other players stand off.

Souness in particular wouldn't stand a chance with a Doug Rougvie for example - he'd run a mile !

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:01 PM
It was a cowardly kick and far from the first or last time Souness took advantage of a helpless opponent ..... I cant name the game, but one where he was on the ground and deliberately near enough two footed an opponent in the face was an incident I remember, how the hell he wasn't sent off only the ref will know, he never thought twice about going over the ball either.

His talent was never in doubt, the fact that he was a nasty little thug on the park isn't either IMO. Football has been full of hard men over the years, but not too many who were as nasty, sneaky or malicious as Souness.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 12:02 PM
He's bang on about Souness - pretend hard man, only reserved it for the pitch where there was a referee. Like Roy Keane - played on the ego and reputation. Both great players but can't help thinking because the hype made other players stand off.

Souness in particular wouldn't stand a chance with a Doug Rougvie for example - he'd run a mile !

Considering he broke a players jaw in the tunnel during a European tie, I think you will find that statement is incorrect. Souness was a hard man no doubt about it.

Lofarl
17-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Considering he broke a players jaw in the tunnel during a European tie, I think you will find that statement is incorrect. Souness was a hard man no doubt about it.

Nope. That just reinforces my opinion that he's a coward too. He strikes me as one of those kids you used to see at school that would start something within eyesight of an authority figure, knowing full well they'd break it up.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Probably kicked him in the face when he bent down to tie his laces.

tamig
17-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Probably kicked him in the face when he bent down to tie his laces.

Exactly. A guy broke my nose once by hitting me with a haymaker from behind me. I turned round and he was halfway down the road. Just because you break a guy's jaw in the tunnel doesn't make you a hard man. Souness was a sly individual and would never go in fair to a 50/50. Cowardly is the correct word.

green with envy
17-01-2017, 12:13 PM
His most cowardly tackle for me was when he broke Siggi Jonsson's leg during a 1-0 win for Scotland in Reykjavik in 1986.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Exactly. A guy broke my nose once by hitting me with a haymaker from behind me. I turned round and he was halfway down the road. Just because you break a guy's jaw in the tunnel doesn't make you a hard man. Souness was a sly individual and would never go in fair to a 50/50. Cowardly is the correct word.

Yeh .... reminds me of playing footie up the park when I was 15, there was a guy playing who we all knew but didn't usually play football with us, the game hadn't been played in a bad spirit or anything, but as I bent down to pick up the ball to take a throw in he deliberately booted me straight in the face, I still have a scar on my lip from it ...... I suppose some folk are just born bloody nasty.

Stewboy
17-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Sparked a riot in turkey when planting a flag in the middle of the pitch

Not bad for a coward!

tamig
17-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Souness at his snidey best

https://youtu.be/ygVgxYa3mlo

KeithTheHibby
17-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Not bad for a coward!

Whilst surrounded by riot polis.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Not bad for a coward!

Fenerbahce v Galatasaray, one of the most vicious and hate filled derby matches in world football ..... for a guy who had played in the Old Firm derby he would have been far from unaware of the consequences such a provocative action could have when it comes to a rivalry like that, not only a coward but stupid with it then.

JimBHibees
17-01-2017, 12:39 PM
His most cowardly tackle for me was when he broke Siggi Jonsson's leg during a 1-0 win for Scotland in Reykjavik in 1986.

Numerous terrible tackles usually over the ball which couldnt be more cowardly. I see the youtube one against Kiev I think it was. Can also remember an atrocious tackle on Peter Nicholas V Wales. Also remember a melee in an Everton derby where he sneakily booted one of the everton players from behind and scuttled away. Some very cowardly actions IMO.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Numerous terrible tackles usually over the ball which couldnt be more cowardly. I see the youtube one against Kiev I think it was. Can also remember an atrocious tackle on Peter Nicholas V Wales. Also remember a melee in an Everton derby where he sneakily booted one of the everton players from behind and scuttled away. Some very cowardly actions IMO.

Think that's the one I was on about, deliberately booted him in the face, as you say absolutely atrocious.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Just out of interest how many time have you watched Souness live in his heyday? I can tell you that Souness was a hard man on the pitch, never shirked a tackle, looked after his team mates and could still play a bit too. Your coward reference is laughable.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:47 PM

What is surprising about that clip is the lack of reaction from the victims team mates, if you saw a tackle like that on a team mate your first reaction would surely be to pile into the bugger.

JimBHibees
17-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Just out of interest how many time have you watched Souness live in his heyday? I can tell you that Souness was a hard man on the pitch, never shirked a tackle, looked after his team mates and could still play a bit too. Your coward reference is laughable.

While he was no doubt a physical hard player, he was absolutely cowardly in many of the tackles he put in. Couldnt be much more cowardly than going over the top of the ball when the other player is going for the ball.

NAE NOOKIE
17-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Even if you are prepared to accept that Souness wasn't a coward there is no defence of some of his actions, there's a difference between imposing yourself on an opponent with a hard challenge or coming to the defence of your team mates and deliberately setting out to injure a fellow professional, some of his attacks on opponents in matches have had the possibility to cause career threatening injuries .... look at the challenge in the wee clip posted on here, 6 inches lower and he could have wrecked the guys knee.

HibbyAndy
17-01-2017, 12:58 PM

A BOOKING ?? That was a ****ing jail sentence !!:bitchy:

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Even if you are prepared to accept that Souness wasn't a coward there is no defence of some of his actions, there's a difference between imposing yourself on an opponent with a hard challenge or coming to the defence of your team mates and deliberately setting out to injure a fellow professional, some of his attacks on opponents in matches have had the possibility to cause career threatening injuries .... look at the challenge in the wee clip posted on here, 6 inches lower and he could have wrecked the guys knee.

I didn't say there was? I said he wasn't a coward.

tamig
17-01-2017, 01:05 PM

In his heyday - and not counting the hun days - I only saw him in the flesh on Scotland duty. I saw plenty of him on the telly though going into many 50/50s where he would hold back slightly then go over the ball into the opponent. That isn't hard. It's the mark of a coward. Your biased defence of the man is the most laughable aspect of this thread.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 01:06 PM
While he was no doubt a physical hard player, he was absolutely cowardly in many of the tackles he put in. Couldnt be much more cowardly than going over the top of the ball when the other player is going for the ball.

So the hardmen of bygone eras are all cowards now are they or just those you choose to dislike? Tackles like that were commonplace then.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 01:07 PM
In his heyday - and not counting the hun days - I only saw him in the flesh on Scotland duty. I saw plenty of him on the telly though going into many 50/50s where he would hold back slightly then go over the ball into the opponent. That isn't hard. It's the mark of a coward. Your biased defence of the man is the most laughable aspect of this thread.

Oh the irony! :faf:

tamig
17-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Oh the irony! :faf:

Why would I be biased in favour of calling him a coward? I had that view way back before he was involved with the hun. Coward of a man.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Why would I be biased in favour of calling him a coward? I had that view way back before he was involved with the hun. Coward of a man.

Sure you did, you don't like him so that's where your bias comes from, I do like him, so you are suggesting that's where mine comes from. :aok:

Souness one of my heroes, but not one of yours. I get it. Let 's call it a draw :greengrin

tamig
17-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Sure you did, you don't like him so that's where your bias comes from, I do like him, so you are suggesting that's where mine comes from. :aok:

Souness one of my heroes, but not one of yours. I get it. Let 's call it a draw :greengrin

No worries. I actually don't mind Souness's punditry and quite like him. My views are on the player and based on what I saw both live and on the box. And I do understand it can be hard to find too much fault with heroes. We all do it.

lapsedhibee
17-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Bob Crampsey one of my heroes, and he spoke words to the effect that Souness was the dirtiest player he ever saw, because of the number of opposing players' careers which were ended by his 'tackles'.

JimBHibees
17-01-2017, 01:18 PM
So the hardmen of bygone eras are all cowards now are they or just those you choose to dislike? Tackles like that were commonplace then.

They may have been commonplace but they were cowardly tackles dont see how you can dispute that.

Barman Stanton
17-01-2017, 08:27 PM
No doubt he was sneaky and malicious but I wouldn't call him a coward. Can't help but think that many's opinion of him would be different if he hadn't been at Rangers.

O'Rourke3
17-01-2017, 08:47 PM
No doubt he was sneaky and malicious but I wouldn't call him a coward. Can't help but think that many's opinion of him would be different if he hadn't been at Rangers.

I didn't have great opinion of him before he went to Rangers so detested him after. Like a lot of dirty players he fouled because he could not because he had to. There were few occasions where he needed to get vicious retaliation in first but he seemed to manage it. He might not have been a coward but he was no sportsman. I like to think that all professionals would do unto others and all that but not GS. Neil Berry, Terry Hurlock, Peter Grant are a few others with the same disregard.

Itsnoteasy
17-01-2017, 08:53 PM
I didn't have great opinion of him before he went to Rangers so detested him after. Like a lot of dirty players he fouled because he could not because he had to. There were few occasions where he needed to get vicious retaliation in first but he seemed to manage it. He might not have been a coward but he was no sportsman. I like to think that all professionals would do unto others and all that but not GS. Neil Berry, Terry Hurlock, Peter Grant are a few others with the same disregard.

Neil Lennon?

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Getting in first was crucial and set the tone for many a game. Vinnie Jones done a similar job on Steve Mcmahon in 88 cup final it was a massive statement on our enforcer and it worked.

erin go bragh
17-01-2017, 08:55 PM

You sure Beestie ( McCluskey)was in his 20s when he played for us . 👀
Looked well in his 30s . Still a great player tho . The guy even had his own supporter bus . The beestie bus :)

Mr White
17-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Looked well in his 30s . Still a great player tho . The guy even had his own supporter bus . The beestie bus :)

Aged 28 to 32 when he played for us. He scored the second hibs goal I ever saw against Dundee Utd in 1989.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2017, 09:00 PM

29 when he signed for Hibs.

capitals_finest
17-01-2017, 09:04 PM
He was playing a bit before my time but my Grandad could never understand the 'hard man' reputation he had. I always remember him saying the real hard men were the Jinky Johnstones of the world who would come of the park with their legs black and blue.

O'Rourke3
17-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Getting in first was crucial and set the tone for many a game. Vinnie Jones done a similar job on Steve Mcmahon in 88 cup final it was a massive statement on our enforcer and it worked.

Scouse your love for LFC is a beautiful thing but if there was a photo of any member of that Liverpool team wearing Nazi regalia, beating Nelson Mandela you'd find a reason for explaining it away :Greengrin:
None of GS over the tops were early sighters and in the games I saw, retribution for an earlier "previous". He did it cause he could and there's nothing hard about it. Using Jones as an example doesn't explain anything. I accept there's been a need for do unto others before they do it to you. Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith were far worse. That was never Mr Ss game...in my opinion of course.

Itsnoteasy
17-01-2017, 09:37 PM

I neither love or loathe the man. He played in an era when they were allowed to be hard & dirty & he could look after himself. In his heyday I would have loved him at Hibs. And Scotland are also missing players of his calibre these days.

jacomo
17-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Neil Lennon?

Not even close.

Lennon got involved in battles all the time because that was his job. He was the spoiler, the water carrier. But he didn't try and maim people like that.

Deansy
17-01-2017, 11:01 PM
It's long been my belief that Sounesse's 'tackle' on McCluskey that day was purely and simply to endear himself amongst the hordes.

pacorosssco
17-01-2017, 11:13 PM
He was playing a bit before my time but my Grandad could never understand the 'hard man' reputation he had. I always remember him saying the real hard men were the Jinky Johnstones of the world who would come of the park with their legs black and blue.

Indeed. Diego Maradonna. Had to ride a leg breaker a game.

Mikey09
17-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Souness was a ****er. Aye he could play but he, like many other "hardmen" loved a cheap shot. Have to laugh at Fitba players being called Enforcers!! You want to see what a real enforcer is watch a film called Ice Guardians. These boys are proper hardmen. Souness?! :faf::faf::faf:

MilwaukeeHibee
18-01-2017, 12:51 AM
Aged 28 to 32 when he played for us. He scored the second hibs goal I ever saw against Dundee Utd in 1989.

That was my first game, he came on as a sub and scored a late equalizer :agree: Also remember a certain big Finnish striker putting Dundee Utd in the lead beforehand :thumbsup:

Amazing to think that was almost 30 years ago!

mjhibby
18-01-2017, 03:02 AM
It's long been my belief that Sounesse's 'tackle' on McCluskey that day was purely and simply to endear himself amongst the hordes.

It was a huge event in Scottish football and after der Hun not getting things their own way sourpuss lost the plot. He most certainly was a coward as only cowards commit tackles like that he had many previous incidents of similar Ilk. How anybody can defend him over beasties assault and Peter Nicholas etc etc. I would loved to have been good enough to be on the same pitch as him and given him a bit of his own medicine. Undoubtedly a very talented player but tainted by his totally unnecessary challenges.

mjhibby
18-01-2017, 03:05 AM
Beastie was a very good player at hibs. Very similar to malonga in his laid back style. I remember one goal against the dons when he totally fooled McLeish and miller when his belly went one way and the rest of his body the other way. Finished superbly into the bottom corner. 1-1 iirc.

HFCdeb
18-01-2017, 06:18 AM

This made me smile :) I like the sound of your grandad.

hibbiedon
18-01-2017, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=green with envy;4910158]His most cowardly tackle for me was when he broke Siggi Jonsson's leg during a 1-0 win for Scotland in Reykjavik in 1986.[/QUOTE
thats the one assault that really disgusted me, a horrible arrogant cowardly man, most of his assaults/tackles were from behind

hibbiedon
18-01-2017, 07:08 AM

i saw many hard men play, I have saw dirty players as well, the type of tackles he committed that disgust people are the sneaky assaults, he may have been tough or hard but he was most definitely a vile nasty thug

hibsbollah
18-01-2017, 07:11 AM
I remember one goal against the dons when he totally fooled McLeish and miller when his belly went one way and the rest of his body the other way. Finished superbly into the bottom corner. 1-1 iirc.

:agree: There's very few players that have the necessary girth to pull off this move. Those of us that can merely look down in pity at our teammates mucking about with the Ronaldo chop and the rabona.

Keith_M
18-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Is it OK if we just refer to him as a vicious thug that couldn't care less if he ruined other people's careers?

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-01-2017, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=mjhibby;4910805]Beastie was a very good player at hibs. Very similar to malonga in his laid back style. I remember one goal against the dons when he totally fooled McLeish and miller when his belly went one way and the rest of his body the other way. Finished superbly into the bottom corner. 1-1 iirc.[/QUOTE

Think we won 2-1 that day and ended a long run of defeats by them, also remember being crammed into the old enclosure as the east terracing was being covered. Think Stevie Cowan scored the other goal.

Peevemor
18-01-2017, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=mjhibby;4910805]Beastie was a very good player at hibs. Very similar to malonga in his laid back style. I remember one goal against the dons when he totally fooled McLeish and miller when his belly went one way and the rest of his body the other way. Finished superbly into the bottom corner. 1-1 iirc.[/QUOTE

Think we won 2-1 that day and ended a long run of defeats by them, also remember being crammed into the old enclosure as the east terracing was being covered. Think Stevie Cowan scored the other goal.

I remember at the time when we'd have conversations in the pub - "if you had millions & millions and you bought Hibs etc...." - one of my mates had a front pairing of Hugo Sanchez & George McLuskey.

He was serious.

erin go bragh
18-01-2017, 09:33 AM
29 when he signed for Hibs.

Must have had a heavy paper round as a laddie :)

erin go bragh
18-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Am sure Souness wanted to do Beadie ( Stuart) as his der Hun teammates had said SB was our hard man . Both him and beastie had the perm .

calumhibee1
18-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Graham Souness is one of the biggest bellends in football. Him and Roy Keane, two pees in a pod. Absolute roasters.

Scouse Hibee
18-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Souness was a ****er. Aye he could play but he, like many other "hardmen" loved a cheap shot. Have to laugh at Fitba players being called Enforcers!! You want to see what a real enforcer is watch a film called Ice Guardians. These boys are proper hardmen. Souness?! :faf::faf::faf:

Nah you're okay I prefer to base my opinion what I have actually seen rather than some big screen dramatisation.

Scouse Hibee
18-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Is it OK if we just refer to him as a vicious thug that couldn't care less if he ruined other people's careers?

Refer to him by whatever takes your fancy pal it won't change my opinion.

Scouse Hibee
18-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Scouse your love for LFC is a beautiful thing but if there was a photo of any member of that Liverpool team wearing Nazi regalia, beating Nelson Mandela you'd find a reason for explaining it away :Greengrin:
None of GS over the tops were early sighters and in the games I saw, retribution for an earlier "previous". He did it cause he could and there's nothing hard about it. Using Jones as an example doesn't explain anything. I accept there's been a need for do unto others before they do it to you. Norman Hunter and Tommy Smith were far worse. That was never Mr Ss game...in my opinion of course.

Hahaha brilliant, that made me laugh.You might be right :-)

1875er
18-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Am sure Souness wanted to do Beadie ( Stuart) as his der Hun teammates had said SB was our hard man . Both him and beastie had the perm .

It was Billy Kirkwood he had been warned about.:thumbsup:

Mikey09
19-01-2017, 12:44 AM
Nah you're okay I prefer to base my opinion what I have actually seen rather than some big screen dramatisation.

Yep... These Hockey Enforcers are proper hard *******'s. I've seen them in action. I've also seen Souness in action and he was a complete bellend who ran his mouth off to everyone. Souness was the master of the over the ball challenge. Complete twat. He may be a Liverpool legend but he's still a twat.

Corstorphine Hibby
19-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Refer to him by whatever takes your fancy pal it won't change my opinion.

This is a Hibs fans forum. Your blinkered love in for Souness, who made a disgusting assault on a Hibs player is embarrassing.

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2017, 09:47 AM
This is a Hibs fans forum. Your blinkered love in for Souness, who made a disgusting assault on a Hibs player is embarrassing.

Embarrassing? I am a Hibs fan posting on a Hibs forum giving my opinion. Sorry I embarrassed you.Although I have to admit I only started watching Hibs in 92 and had never really heard of George McCluskey.

Bostonhibby
19-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Souness was a great footballer who I loved watching but I never understood why he resorted to so many deliberate and over the ball tackles. He was good enough and seemingly tough enough to play the game hard but fair.

Was right in line with his "tackle" at ER that day and that one and his style of play at the now defunct Glasgow rangers ended all my respect for him as a player. I do think he said and did some brave thinks at the dead club though.