PDA

View Full Version : Pogba

Monts
15-01-2017, 06:22 PM
I'll admit now that I don't watch a lot of football apart from hibs, and so I've not seen an awful lot of Pogba, but when I have, I'm not sure why he cost so much money.

What am I missing?

Hibernia&Alba
15-01-2017, 06:24 PM
He had a very poor game today, but that it isn't representative of his ability. He was superb in the last game against Hull. He's a terrific talent.

Monts
15-01-2017, 06:28 PM
He had a very poor game today, but that it isn't representative of his ability. He was superb in the last game against Hull. He's a terrific talent.

Is it his traveling with ball, passing, shooting, hold up play or something else? I'm not being cheeky, I'm genuinely asking.

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Obviously i dont see all his games, but the ones that are on the telly and match of the day ones are what i have to go on, and i'm missing it too.

He does flashes of brilliance but for that kind of money i'd be wanting a lot more from him

Hibernia&Alba
15-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Is it his traveling with ball, passing, shooting, hold up play or something else? I'm not being cheeky, I'm genuinely asking.

Excellent passing and is box to box. He can play defensive midfield or as number ten. He had a stinker today.

jgl07
15-01-2017, 06:33 PM
I'll admit now that I don't watch a lot of football apart from hibs, and so I've not seen an awful lot of Pogba, but when I have, I'm not sure why he cost so much money.

What am I missing?
He was so highly rated in his first spell at Old Trafford that he was allowed to run down his contract and leave for notional compensation. He was then resigned for £110 million or so including agents fees etc.

HibernianJK
15-01-2017, 06:36 PM
I've watched most Utd games that have been on tele and haven't really been impressed either. When he first arrived he was poor for 9/10 games but then I think his form picked up recently. He was terrible today. Poor game tbh.

ancient hibee
15-01-2017, 06:37 PM
The manager wants to turn him into Frank Lampard.

Michael
15-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Yes, he doesn't look great to me either. At least they got Zlatan on a free.

yonder1875
15-01-2017, 06:38 PM
For the sort of money that Man United paid for him you would expect him to be the real difference maker for them - similarly to Gareth Bale or Ronaldo (went for similar sums) for Real Madrid. He is far from that from what I've seen

Thecat23
15-01-2017, 06:42 PM
Sorry but he's not worth anything near what he went for.

Onceinawhile
15-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Proved why you shouldn't dab when headering a ball though.

Monts
15-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Think he was unlucky with the penalty as he had lost the ball in the air.

Definite penalty but he will feel hard done by.

Pretty Boy
15-01-2017, 06:54 PM
He's not really showed his full ability for Man Utd yet but he was absolutely sensational for a couple of seasons with Juventus. In the day of the astronomical transfer fee I can see why someone was tempted to spend the kind of money on him that United did. If they hadn't someone else would have.

People often don't allow players time to adjust to a different footballing environment. The game in England is frantic compared to Italy. Dennis Bergkamp is a good example, very poor at first for Arsenal but grew into a legend. More recently De Gea was written off, including by more than one person on this thread, and he's gone on to do ok.

PeterboroHibee
15-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Think he was unlucky with the penalty as he had lost the ball in the air.

Definite penalty but he will feel hard done by.

As pointed out by the pundits during the game, he was all over the place when defending corners - the handball was a result of that and I dont think it can be described as unlucky.

Despite how bad he was today (which was ironic with all the #pogba banners and emojis on the advertising boards all game), I do think Pogba is a really talented player. Part of the problem is he is playing in a Mourinho team, and he will also never be able to live up to the daft price tag they paid for him.

Monts
15-01-2017, 07:00 PM
As pointed out by the pundits during the game, he was all over the place when defending corners - the handball was a result of that and I dont think it can be described as unlucky.

Despite how bad he was today (which was ironic with all the #pogba banners and emojis on the advertising boards all game), I do think Pogba is a really talented player. Part of the problem is he is playing in a Mourinho team, and he will also never be able to live up to the daft price tag they paid for him.

I was watching in a pub that didn't have the sound on so missed the commentators comments.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-01-2017, 07:24 PM
The problem Pogba has (and any modern day player has that moves for a hefty transfer fee) is that certainly nowadays with social media outlets available to pretty much everybody is that instant success is demanded.

He was brought in on a 5 year deal - not a 6 month deal. He'll probably admit himself he'd like to have had a better impact but he's hit the woodwork something like 7 or 8 times this season. Had even half of them gone in I very much doubt he'd be getting some of the criticism he's getting.

Remember we brought Kris Commons in on a 28 day deal or whatever it was and fans wanted him sent back after 1 game. Look at the reaction to him now? Even bale at Madrid. His first season was spectacular but his 2nd was pretty disappointing and fans wanted him sent back to England. Now he's a hero again.

Personally I'll reserve judgement in terms of the fee and his overall contribution to utd till he's been playing in the team for 18 months or so. Because of the fee and club he plays for, a lot of people will have had the knifes out from day one. Similarities to our manager in that respect

Salt N Sauzee
15-01-2017, 07:42 PM
The problem Pogba has (and any modern day player has that moves for a hefty transfer fee) is that certainly nowadays with social media outlets available to pretty much everybody is that instant success is demanded.

He was brought in on a 5 year deal - not a 6 month deal. He'll probably admit himself he'd like to have had a better impact but he's hit the woodwork something like 7 or 8 times this season. Had even half of them gone in I very much doubt he'd be getting some of the criticism he's getting.

Remember we brought Kris Commons in on a 28 day deal or whatever it was and fans wanted him sent back after 1 game. Look at the reaction to him now? Even bale at Madrid. His first season was spectacular but his 2nd was pretty disappointing and fans wanted him sent back to England. Now he's a hero again.

Personally I'll reserve judgement in terms of the fee and his overall contribution to utd till he's been playing in the team for 18 months or so. Because of the fee and club he plays for, a lot of people will have had the knifes out from day one. Similarities to our manager in that respect

Doesnt matter how much you try to sugar coat it, if you spend £89 million on a player you expect them to be an instant hit or at least show up in the big games. I highly doubt Mourinho bought him because he thought he might turn out good a year and a half down the line!

Man United have literally chucked money at players over the past year or so and are still no further ahead than what they were under Moyes and that is very, very pleasing.

Holmesdale Hibs
15-01-2017, 07:48 PM
He's a good player and will get better with age. Totally inflated transfer fee but the market seems to get more and more silly every window so he's not the only one. I watched him at Selhurst earlier this year and he played very well and had an assist and a goal (despite being offside and the ball coming to him via Zlatan's hand).

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Doesnt matter how much you try to sugar coat it, if you spend £89 million on a player you expect them to be an instant hit or at least show up in the big games. I highly doubt Mourinho bought him because he thought he might turn out good a year and a half down the line!

Man United have literally chucked money at players over the past year or so and are still no further ahead than what they were under Moyes and that is very, very pleasing.

It all depends on the angle you're coming from I guess. Whilst not being an instant success I've personally saw enough that shows he's a class act and will get better and better the more he adapts to the league.

Neymar scored about 4 goals in his first 20 games at Barcelona after going for about 80m 3/4 years ago.

Even look at the Liverpool team that played today. Guys like Henderson, Firmino, Lovren all went for relatively high fees but it took well over a year to see them becoming what they are today - key players in a team challenging for the title.

8 goals (could be double figures as per his woodwork stats) a similar amount of assists imo isn't that bad a return after 6 months. To "justify" his transfer fee he'd no doubt need to score 30+ goals and similar number of assist which I'm English football is unlikely to happen.

I disagree with the transfer fee btw nobody should be moving for that kind of money but it's the modern market.

johnbc70
15-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Have seen him play live twice, both massive games. Once in the Champions League Final in 2015, and then again in the Euro 2016 final, both times he was anonymous.

ekhibee
15-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Well it's not like he'd never played in England or for Man Utd before, so I don't really accept the thing about change of environment. I watched him in the Euro's and in a couple of games he was really good. In others he was just alright, nothing special at all. He's a talented player, and they're never cheap, but I can't help thinking Manchester United/Mourinho were trying to make a rather exaggerated point about how big they are and what money they're prepared to pay. A statement of intent. But they're not going to win the Premiership and they're going to struggle to get a Champions League place, which makes the money they've spent on Pogba all the more daft. That's just my opinion though.

Pretty Boy
15-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Well it's not like he'd never played in England or for Man Utd before, so I don't really accept the thing about change of environment. I watched him in the Euro's and in a couple of games he was really good. In others he was just alright, nothing special at all. He's a talented player, and they're never cheap, but I can't help thinking Manchester United/Mourinho were trying to make a rather exaggerated point about how big they are and what money they're prepared to pay. A statement of intent. But they're not going to win the Premiership and they're going to struggle to get a Champions League place, which makes the money they've spent on Pogba all the more daft. That's just my opinion though.

He played 7 1st team games for Man Utd in his 1st spell. 3 of them in the league. Hardly a wealth of experience in the EPL.

Tyler Durden
15-01-2017, 09:59 PM

Some would say the money isn't necessarily all that daft in today's market though

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37045474

jacomo
15-01-2017, 10:26 PM
He's not really showed his full ability for Man Utd yet but he was absolutely sensational for a couple of seasons with Juventus. In the day of the astronomical transfer fee I can see why someone was tempted to spend the kind of money on him that United did. If they hadn't someone else would have.

People often don't allow players time to adjust to a different footballing environment. The game in England is frantic compared to Italy. Dennis Bergkamp is a good example, very poor at first for Arsenal but grew into a legend. More recently De Gea was written off, including by more than one person on this thread, and he's gone on to do ok.

Fair enough. But he's not done much for France either.

essexhibee
15-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Ok I'll be the first to say it then....he's no John McGinn :duck:

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Having now watched the game to say he had a poor game today is taking away the credit from the Liverpool midfield who didn't allow him any time or space. He was closed down,harried and hassled to great effect. There was obviously a plan to keep him quiet and it worked.

Haymaker
16-01-2017, 05:00 AM
Ok I'll be the first to say it then....he's no John McGinn :duck:

No one is.

Haymaker
16-01-2017, 05:02 AM
Having now watched the game to say he had a poor game today is taking away the credit from the Liverpool midfield who didn't allow him any time or space. He was closed down,harried and hassled to great effect. There was obviously a plan to keep him quiet and it worked.

Very true however whenever he did find time and space he did nothing with it.

And how many times did he lose louvren? Unacceptable.

Pete
16-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Very true however whenever he did find time and space he did nothing with it.

And how many times did he lose louvren? Unacceptable.

It's easy to criticise Manchester United players for underperforming. However, it must be hard when even people that stay hundreds of miles away from Manchester and apparently have no leanings towards the club have acceptable standards regarding your performance. :sairhead:

Phil MaGlass
16-01-2017, 07:45 AM
I fail to see all the hype with him. 100 mill, yir huvin a laugh, every time I have seen him play he has been woeful, yesterday was no surprise, maybe United isnt the team he should be playing for, I am also pretty underwhelmed with United.

Geo_1875
16-01-2017, 10:20 AM
I fail to see all the hype with him. 100 mill, yir huvin a laugh, every time I have seen him play he has been woeful, yesterday was no surprise, maybe United isnt the team he should be playing for, I am also pretty underwhelmed with United.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he has been woeful every time I've seen him play. He was good against Hull and had a blinding first half against WBA (I think it was them but wasn't paying much attention). Not been so good against anybody else.

Whoever decided he could leave ManU first time round had a decent eye for a player.

frazeHFC
16-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Never really rated him. He's obviously got big talent but nowhere near what they paid for him. Would take Christian Eriksen over him any day going by this season's form.

J-C
16-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Pogba is an enigma, he wanted guaranteed football at Man U 1st time around which Fergie could give him, so he ran his contract down. He flourished in Italy but you can be assured if Fergie was still in charge, he wouldn't be there for a 2nd time, he seems very inconsistent, 2 brilliant games, then 2 howlers and that's his problem, you don't know what your getting from him.

The_Exile
16-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Whoever decided he could leave ManU first time round had a decent eye for a player.

I don't think anyone decided he could leave per se, Utd decided to bring Scholes out of retirement to play in midfield at Pogba's expense, he quite rightly told them to ram it and went to Juve. To be fair to Utd, Scholes was probably the best midfielder in the world over the past decade at that time, so can see why they went down the route they did when they couldn't really find anyone to replace him.

Andy74
16-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Pogba is an enigma, he wanted guaranteed football at Man U 1st time around which Fergie could give him, so he ran his contract down. He flourished in Italy but you can be assured if Fergie was still in charge, he wouldn't be there for a 2nd time, he seems very inconsistent, 2 brilliant games, then 2 howlers and that's his problem, you don't know what your getting from him.

I don't think the stats match that though - he had a pretty slow start but has been performing very well and consistently over the last 10 games or so - though he did have a poor game yesterday.

There was a BBC article last week going through his stats and he was making a major contribution largely in an attacking sense - he had played more forward passes in the final third than any other EPL players, including 3 assists and 3 goals in that period.

The fee really isn't his concern but I think he will prove to be a key player for them - I don't think its true that you don't know what you are going to get one week to the next on the whole.

J-C
16-01-2017, 11:04 AM
I don't think the stats match that though - he had a pretty slow start but has been performing very well and consistently over the last 10 games or so - though he did have a poor game yesterday.

There was a BBC article last week going through his stats and he was making a major contribution largely in an attacking sense - he had played more forward passes in the final third than any other EPL players, including 3 assists and 3 goals in that period.

The fee really isn't his concern but I think he will prove to be a key player for them - I don't think its true that you don't know what you are going to get one week to the next on the whole.

Again, all about opinions Andy, I think Pogba is a great talent but I feel he needs to be more consistent, he had a pretty slow start at Man U this season and seems to be getting into his stride but every now and then he throws in a stinker like yesterday, he reminds me of Yaya Toure in the way he plays, big strong, can tackle and score great goals.

Fergus52
16-01-2017, 11:10 AM
He hits the occasional holywood pass and scores the occasional screamer but apart from that he's nothing special.

From what I've seen he can do everything reasonably well, but doesn't really excel in any area. His dribbling and defensive ability and overrated IMO.

He must have the best agent in world football to have generated so much hype.

ArmadaleHibs
16-01-2017, 11:14 AM
The fee he joined united for is all that's wrong with the game in England, Spain and Germany. It will eventually be the un-doing of football. Crazy money for a decent but not worldly player

Ggtth

--------
16-01-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm with the OP. There are any number of midfield players I'd have in my team before Pogba. I'm not sure I'd ever want someone who might or might not turn up. He was awful yesterday.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2017, 01:07 PM
I'm with the OP. There are any number of midfield players I'd have in my team before Pogba. I'm not sure I'd ever want someone who might or might not turn up. He was awful yesterday.

You would have no one then because all players have bad games.

Geo_1875
16-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Not all players cost £90,000,000 and for that money their worst game should still be good enough.

16-01-2017, 01:24 PM
The big price tag puts a lot of pressure on players IMO. All eyes are on him to be a mega superstar due to the crazy, record breaking amount of money Man Utd have paid for him. Torres was the same, £50m (record breaking at the time) was paid for him and everybody expected him to be scoring a barrel load but it took absolutely ages for him to get his first Chelsea goal.

The pressure and high level of expectations IMO can be a real weight for these players to carry. They know the media etc have built them up and they know all eyes are on them. Pogba was trending on twitter all day yesterday, theres his face on advertising boards all around the pitch etc etc, he knows he's a big deal and people are expecting something special. Now I know he's an experienced proffesional and should by now know how to handle the pressure playing on a big stage but even the most experienced of players can struggle with such weight on their shoulders. He's playing in front of millions of people, everything he does will be scrutinised.

easty
16-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Pogba is class. Whether or not he is worth what they paid for him. is irrelevant. Man Utd wanted him, and that's how much it cost to get him. I don't think there's a team in the world who wouldn't want Pogba, not because of his commercial value, or the dab, or his fancy haircuts, but because he's a great player.

He didn't have a good game yesterday, doesn't mean he's *****. I've seen Messi in Argentina games doing **** all, it happens.

Since90+2
16-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Not worth the money they paid for him but he is still an excellent player.

Since90+2
16-01-2017, 01:40 PM
For the money Man Utd paid they should have went for Marco Verratti instead who is a better player IMO. Whether or not he would have left PSG is another story.

Haymaker
16-01-2017, 02:31 PM
It's easy to criticise Manchester United players for underperforming. However, it must be hard when even people that stay hundreds of miles away from Manchester and apparently have no leanings towards the club have acceptable standards regarding your performance. :sairhead:

As a professional coach, if one of my players lost their man that many times I'd deem it unacceptable as it is unacceptable. Nothing to do with my leanings or what team the player is on.

The_Exile
16-01-2017, 03:56 PM
For the money Man Utd paid they should have went for Marco Verratti instead who is a better player IMO. Whether or not he would have left PSG is another story.

They sold Pogba for 90 mil and replaced him with Miralem Pjanic for £30 odd million, IMO one of the top 3 or 4 midfielders in the world, can do everything, dribble, pass, defend, attack, shoot, tackle, phenomenal vision and fantastic movement and is absolutely brilliant at free kicks and set piece delivery. I love Serie A and he used to play for Roma so have watched him a lot over past few seasons. Someone at Juve will be laughing their way to the bank, £60 mil surplus and a better player to replace the one that went for 90 mil :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2017, 03:58 PM
They sold Pogba for 90 mil and replaced him with Miralem Pjanic for £30 odd million, IMO one of the top 3 or 4 midfielders in the world, can do everything, dribble, pass, defend, attack, shoot, tackle, phenomenal vision and fantastic movement and is absolutely brilliant at free kicks and set piece delivery. I love Serie A and he used to play for Roma so have watched him a lot over past few seasons. Someone at Juve will be laughing their way to the bank, £60 mil surplus and a better player to replace the one that went for 90 mil :greengrinThey signed Pjanic months before they sold Pogba. That was going to happen regardless.

ekhibee
16-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Pogba is class. Whether or not he is worth what they paid for him. is irrelevant. Man Utd wanted him, and that's how much it cost to get him. I don't think there's a team in the world who wouldn't want Pogba, not because of his commercial value, or the dab, or his fancy haircuts, but because he's a great player.

He didn't have a good game yesterday, doesn't mean he's *****. I've seen Messi in Argentina games doing **** all, it happens.
It's not irrelevant, it's what the OP was about in the first place. Personally I don't think he's worth the money they paid for him, good player though he is.

The_Exile
16-01-2017, 04:12 PM
They signed Pjanic months before they sold Pogba. That was going to happen regardless.

I'm pretty sure they knew they were losing Pogba to Utd at that point.

euro Hibby
16-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Juventus sold Pogba , for 90 Million and paid 30 m for a very good croation replacement but they spent 90 M on an attacker . if you ask any Juventus supporter they would have Pogba back in a second.

The game is slower in Italy and more technical.

--------
16-01-2017, 04:58 PM

You don't say. I'm not talking about someone having a bad game every now and again. I'm talking about a player whose erratic and uneven form form one game to the next is affecting the team's performance and results.

Right now from what I've seen Pogba can't be relied upon to consistently produce a performance bearing any relation to the huge fee Man Utd paid for his contract. One game he plays well, you think maybe he's getting it together, then he has a horror show like yesterday. The next game he looks half-way competent, then he has a dreadful first half and a not bad second the following game. Then he has two good games, then another klutz-fest.

You never know what you're going to get with him, and that has to be affecting the team.
For the money Man Utd paid fr him, I think they're entitled to see more consistency and quality than they've seen so far.

And don't tell me he needs time to settle in - he arrived before the season started and it's now mid-January. He's had plenty of time, especially of he's as good as so many folks say he is.

ancient hibee
16-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Carrick is far more consistent and more important to United at the moment.

HibbyAndy
16-01-2017, 07:25 PM
World class my erse, He is bang average.

Andy74
16-01-2017, 08:14 PM
You don't say. I'm not talking about someone having a bad game every now and again. I'm talking about a player whose erratic and uneven form form one game to the next is affecting the team's performance and results.

Right now from what I've seen Pogba can't be relied upon to consistently produce a performance bearing any relation to the huge fee Man Utd paid for his contract. One game he plays well, you think maybe he's getting it together, then he has a horror show like yesterday. The next game he looks half-way competent, then he has a dreadful first half and a not bad second the following game. Then he has two good games, then another klutz-fest.

You never know what you're going to get with him, and that has to be affecting the team.
For the money Man Utd paid fr him, I think they're entitled to see more consistency and quality than they've seen so far.

And don't tell me he needs time to settle in - he arrived before the season started and it's now mid-January. He's had plenty of time, especially of he's as good as so many folks say he is.

That's not an accurate reflection of how he has been playing though. He has been excellent over the last 10 games or so.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2017, 08:45 PM
World class my erse, He is bang average.He is not bang average, he is clearly a quality player. He was very good for United over the last 10 games and had an awful game yesterday. If he has 10 good games for every bad 1 he'll become a United legend.

HibbyAndy
16-01-2017, 08:48 PM
He is not bang average, he is clearly a quality player. He was very good for United over the last 10 games and had an awful game yesterday. If he has 10 good games for every bad 1 he'll become a United legend.

He's bang average

And Man u Still won't get a champions league place this season.

Hibernia&Alba
16-01-2017, 08:49 PM
He's bang average

Let's wait and see. Sixteen unbeaten now and getting some momentum with wee Jose. Every chance of finishing between second and fourth this season :agree:

HibbyAndy
16-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Let's wait and see. Sixteen unbeaten now and getting some momentum with wee Jose. Every chance of finishing between second and fourth this season :agree:

Indeed lets wait and see..

But they won't be in the top 4

Hibernia&Alba
16-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Indeed lets wait and see..

But they won't be in the top 4

Aye they will :greengrin

HibbyAndy
16-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Aye they will :greengrin

No chance:greengrin

Chelski Arsenal Spurs got top 3 and Liverpool Man city Man u fighting it oot for 4th place , Liverpool will get it , :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
16-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Chelski Arsenal Spurs got top 3 and Liverpool Man city Man u fighting it oot for 4th place , Liverpool will get it , :agree:

United's next four league games are Stoke (a), Hull (h), Leicester (a), Watford (h). Should be looking for twelve points. City and Spurs play each other this weekend, so one of them will drop points. United have to keep winning, but it's very tight between second and sixth. Two clubs are going to miss out, which will be a huge blow.

gogsy23
16-01-2017, 09:24 PM

Hibernia&Alba
16-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Scouse nonsense. Can't even use 'their' correctly.

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2017, 11:55 PM
He's bang average

Hes not bang average and I couldnt care less about Man united getting in Europe or not, I support hibs.

HibbyAndy
17-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Hes not bang average and I couldnt care less about Man united getting in Europe or not, I support hibs.

I couldn't give a toss either..just posting my opinion.

easty
17-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Arsenal will finish 5th

--------
17-01-2017, 09:09 AM
That's not an accurate reflection of how he has been playing though. He has been excellent over the last 10 games or so.

Well, Andy, I admit I was exaggerating a bit - he doesn't go two good, two bad, it's more like five or six good, then one like the Liverpool match - but truth is he doesn't know when he's going to have a nightmare and in terms of the money Utd are spending on him the question has to be raised - is he worth it?

Right now IMO the answer is 'no'.