PDA

View Full Version : Should Dundee Utd be looking over their shoulder?

ozwoody
15-01-2017, 02:01 AM
As I think Utd are our main challengers , should they be more worried about Morton catching them?
Currently 5 points behind with a game in hand v Raith , who they beat yesterday and with Utd at Dunfermline and Morton at Ayr next game it could be very interesting to see how they cope under pressure.
Also, we have had the finances to budget being in the championship (although another year would certainly stretch them )
Could Utd cope for 2 seasons or would they go into free fall as St Mirren has after dropping down?

Enough said
15-01-2017, 08:19 AM
As I think Utd are our main challengers , should they be more worried about Morton catching them?
Currently 5 points behind with a game in hand v Raith , who they beat yesterday and with Utd at Dunfermline and Morton at Ayr next game it could be very interesting to see how they cope under pressure.
Also, we have had the finances to budget being in the championship (although another year would certainly stretch them )
Could Utd cope for 2 seasons or would they go into free fall as St Mirren has after dropping down?

Not interested in Utd ... hibs just need to keep winning .

Onion
15-01-2017, 08:57 AM

They won't admit it, but yes they'll be looking at Morton.

Utd have to stop the rot asap just to stay in touch with Hibs. 2 weeks ago they were top of the league and probably thought they could kick on but it's all fallen apart for them.

Hibs need to keep racking up the wins, but it looks like Utd's win streak is well and truly over and they might help us out.

Keith_M
15-01-2017, 09:14 AM
Regarding Utd's budget, does anybody know how much the 'parachute payment' is for relegated clubs?

AFAIK, there's a payment for two seasons, but I'm not sure how much.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Our next game with them will not be a six pointer. The teams in the play off places will get more value from beating each other rather than from beating us.

Stokesy's on fire
15-01-2017, 09:57 AM

I think any club should always aim to catch the team ahead
Of them so I would imagine Dundee United will be looking at reducing the gap between Us and them. There's a long way to go. Mortons home record is astonishing though and to be honest Duff Jim has them playing some great football.

Sir David Gray
15-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Of them so I would imagine Dundee United will be looking at reducing the gap between Us and them. There's a long way to go. Mortons home record is astonishing though and to be honest Duff Jim has them playing some great football.

Yep undefeated at home in the league since March 2016 is a phenomenal record and I was impressed with them when we played them last month. Morton really ought to have beaten us that night.

I still think Dundee Utd will have enough to finish 2nd but if Morton can win their game in hand and keep that home record going then who knows.

Callyballybe
15-01-2017, 10:11 AM
They'll be doing both. If Morton go two points behind them then of course they'll be worried. But at the same time, although we've done brilliantly to get a 6 point cushion (considering where we were 2/3 weeks ago) if we draw one or two games, and they win - they'll know they're right back in it. 6 points gives us breathing space, but we're still catchable. Realistically, I think we'll need to be 8/9 points ahead before they start turning their attention to a fight for 2nd with Morton, rather than a fight for 1st with us.

snooky
15-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Anybody who doesn't use their rear view mirror always gets a big surprise when they get suddenly overtaken. Not clever.

Greenworld
15-01-2017, 10:40 AM
No need to concern ourselves with what's going on around us. Our only concern is next game and winning it and the next game and winning it until there is not enough games for anything to happen then happy to have a look at what's going on behind.
Glad to hear Lennon still looking to strengthen further but I do feel confident now

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Waxy
15-01-2017, 10:46 AM
They must be worried about Morton now.We were in a better position in second ahead of Falkirk last year and look what happened. That had a huge impact on not going up i reckon.

ekhibee
15-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Morton are a good solid team, particularly at home, so if I were DU then yes, I would be looking over my shoulder. As it stands they're more consistent than the likes of Falkirk, and look as if they're definitely going to be in a playoff place if they hold their current form. The thing I can't get my head round is how good a job Duff Jim has done, when you consider what a **** manager he was at Hibs. I seem to remember him spending months trying to sign some Bosnian guy which never happened and we still got relegated cos McLeish came in too late to save us.

Dobosz83
15-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Cappielow is a horrendous place to travel to and get a result. As previous posters have said they have done exceptionally well at home. The good news is that we've been to them twice already this season and if memory serves me correctly, United are at Cappielow on the final day of the season whilst we are at home to a St Mirren side who could very well be relegated by then.

We need to hammer home our advantage now. The goal difference itself is worth a point... :cb

Sir David Gray
15-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Cappielow is a horrendous place to travel to and get a result. As previous posters have said they have done exceptionally well at home. The good news is that we've been to them twice already this season and if memory serves me correctly, United are at Cappielow on the final day of the season whilst we are at home to a St Mirren side who could very well be relegated by then.

We need to hammer home our advantage now. The goal difference itself is worth a point... :cb

We've only been to Cappielow once so far, our second trip there is in April.

Jim44
15-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Dundee Utd. Supporters might like this : https://youtu.be/-aFPKtJVBoU :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Morton are a good solid team, particularly at home, so if I were DU then yes, I would be looking over my shoulder. As it stands they're more consistent than the likes of Falkirk, and look as if they're definitely going to be in a playoff place if they hold their current form. The thing I can't get my head round is how good a job Duff Jim has done, when you consider what a **** manager he was at Hibs. I seem to remember him spending months trying to sign some Bosnian guy which never happened and we still got relegated cos McLeish came in too late to save us.

He was a disaster for us, however saying that he was good for Dundee prior to us so maybe he just wasn't the correct fit for us?

Whilst I'm fairly confident of us pushing on and winning the league, a 6 point lead can be wiped out in a fortnight. We were 20 minutes away from being 11 points ahead of Utd earlier in the season and then found ourselves 2 points behind them before Christmas. I'd like a slightly bigger lead before we're sitting back discussing who's finishing second or third.

BullsCloseHibs
15-01-2017, 11:52 AM
I dont think the question is 'should'.

They ARE looking over their shoulder.

I dont think they'll finish 2nd either. Ive a feeling the likes of Morton or Falkirk will catch them :agree:

Nicho87
15-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Think the cup break is coming at the wrong time for us and right time for them. Would rather another league with them flapping.

bigwheel
15-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Our confidence is high, but one defeat where they win and they are right back in it...I hope the team just get their head down and grind out results ....if we keep winning we'll be fine.

hibbysam
15-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Think the cup break is coming at the wrong time for us and right time for them. Would rather another league with them flapping.

Not really, I'd rather they were playing Ross county than St Mirren. Could easily lose to Ross county, especially up there, which makes it 4 without a win. They then come back to Dunfermline away. The more defeats in a row the better, regardless of competition.

Spike Mandela
15-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Finishing first is all that matters in this league.

As wee well know finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th means the lottery of the playoffs where form and luck at that point in the season is all that matters and is heavily weighted in favour of Premier team.

overdrive
15-01-2017, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure if Morton will finish second but I have a feeling they will go up via the playoffs.

Dashing Bob S
15-01-2017, 01:47 PM
I think the late comeback against QOS will help them steady the ship confidence wise, even though they dropped points. Would like to see them, Morton, Falkirk etc start taking loads of points of each other in battle for second with us running away with it. I think a lot of people expect that but I'm not so sure.

SRHibs
15-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Morton were the worst team I've seen st ER all season. Fairplay to Duff Jimmy for turning them around though.

Keyser Sauzee
15-01-2017, 02:59 PM
To be honest I think there is as much chance of Morton catching Utd as there is of Utd catching us, neither will happen.

where'stheslope
15-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Looking at the Championship table Dundee United are 14 points ahead of 5 place at the moment, we are 20 points ahead.
All they will look to do is get into a position to either win or get in play off for the League!
They look to have lost out on winning the League now, but that 14 points is a big make up at this time of the season!!
They will fancy themselves in a play off, the final against premiership opposition could be their downfall.

keep the faith
15-01-2017, 03:15 PM
To be honest I think there is as much chance of Morton catching Utd as there is of Utd catching us, neither will happen.

We have had a good couple of games mate, but was only christmas eve when we were dropping points to Raith. The league is far from over with lots to do yet.
I'm not getting too carried away at this stage.

Keyser Sauzee
15-01-2017, 03:26 PM
We have had a good couple of games mate, but was only christmas eve when we were dropping points to Raith. The league is far from over with lots to do yet.
I'm not getting too carried away at this stage.

Of course there is, I'm not trying to sound like it's over already I just feel we have turned a corner and won't drop too many more points and Utd will have too much for Morton to catch them.

Dibben
15-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Of course there is, I'm not trying to sound like it's over already I just feel we have turned a corner and won't drop too many more points and Utd will have too much for Morton to catch them.

Realistically we should drop less points in the run in than the rest of the teams, so should win the Championship.

I remember thinking similar last season right up to when we beat Hearts in the replay... then the wheels came off.

That shouldn't happen again, but could happen to any team chasing!!

jgl07
15-01-2017, 04:24 PM
Regarding Utd's budget, does anybody know how much the 'parachute payment' is for relegated clubs?

I thought it only applied if the team went down via the playoffs?

ekhibee
15-01-2017, 05:18 PM
I thought it only applied if the team went down via the playoffs?
That's what I thought too, maybe somebody else on here knows the score regarding that.

H18 SFR
15-01-2017, 08:09 PM
Looking at the Championship table Dundee United are 14 points ahead of 5 place at the moment, we are 20 points ahead.
All they will look to do is get into a position to either win or get in play off for the League!
They look to have lost out on winning the League now, but that 14 points is a big make up at this time of the season!!
They will fancy themselves in a play off, the final against premiership opposition could be their downfall.

Who are we thinking will be the team straight down/play off position. It looks really hard to call.

cabbageandribs1875
15-01-2017, 08:13 PM
i'm thinking killie and hamilton will jostle for the bottom two places

where'stheslope
16-01-2017, 08:04 AM
i'm thinking killie and hamilton will jostle for the bottom two places

With only 7 points between 12th and 6th position it could be any of them?

Some of them are unexpected to be in relegation zone.

It will be hard to put a run of wins together as you will be meeting relegation opponents nearly every week.

Marco G
16-01-2017, 08:15 AM
That's what I thought too, maybe somebody else on here knows the score regarding that.
That is correct. Dundee Utd finished foot of league so get no parachute payment. Only a team relegated from a division in a play off gets it.

jgl07
16-01-2017, 08:53 AM
That is correct. Dundee Utd finished foot of league so get no parachute payment. Only a team relegated from a division in a play off gets it.
So Hibs are the only ones ever to get it?

Marco G
16-01-2017, 09:07 AM
So Hibs are the only ones ever to get it?
Well it has gone to lower league teams as well, but think you are right re premier league.

Smartie
16-01-2017, 09:40 AM
My mate who supports Morton reckons we should be looking over our shoulder at them and he's just stuck a tenner on them at 50/1.

erin go bragh
16-01-2017, 11:56 AM
My mate who supports Morton reckons we should be looking over our shoulder at them and he's just stuck a tenner on them at 50/1.

Your mates bookies must rub their hands when he comes in .
11 pounds points above Morton and they still have to come back to ER .

CallumLaidlaw
16-01-2017, 12:07 PM

They do have a game on hand on us but I agree with you. Very optimistic of him to think they will pick up 9 points more than we will over the next 15 games (if they win their game in hand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
16-01-2017, 12:09 PM

They must do - some of his gambling tales are eye-watering. This is nothing compared to what he's capable of.

I think his point is that he watches his team every week and he is liking what he is seeing right now. They're in that dangerous "dark horse with nothing expected of them" position right now which might be worth a tenner at those odds, especially when you see the way we capitulated in the league last year.

Wilson
16-01-2017, 12:20 PM

Their away form will be their undoing. Their next few away games include QotS, Dundee Utd, and ourselves. I suspect we will already be out if sight by the time we play them on March 4th.

Smartie
16-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Their away form will be their undoing. Their next few away games include QotS, Dundee Utd, and ourselves. I suspect we will already be out if sight by the time we play them on March 4th.

I think you're right.

They're a young side, and a bit inexperienced. I don't think they'll have the resilience to grind out repeated 1-0 wins on the road whereas I think we do.

Duffy's doing a good job there though, and they might be a decent shout to really challenge next year if he can keep the team together.

MB62
16-01-2017, 02:32 PM
I think you're right.

They're a young side, and a bit inexperienced. I don't think they'll have the resilience to grind out repeated 1-0 wins on the road whereas I think we do.

Duffy's doing a good job there though, and they might be a decent shout to really challenge next year if he can keep the team together.

I'm sure Morton are top of the Home league, whilst we are 3rd. It's our away form that makes the difference and we are way in front there, obviously.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
16-01-2017, 02:34 PM

Isnt it 250k then 150k?

Wilson
16-01-2017, 02:50 PM
I'm sure Morton are top of the Home league, whilst we are 3rd. It's our away form that makes the difference and we are way in front there, obviously.

No guarantees in football though. A couple of decent away results for Morton and suddenly we'll all take notice.

Moulin Yarns
16-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Isnt it 250k then 150k?

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__articlesofthespfllimited_1375800575.pdf

(http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__articlesofthespfllimited_1375800575.pdf)
Parachute Payments, shall be made by the Company for each of the two Seasons immediately following relegation of any Club relegated from 11th place in Division One to Division Two as a consequence of losing a tie or ties in a Division One/Division Two Play-Off Competition from time to time of £500,000 in the first Season following such relegation and £250,000 in the second Season following such relegation. The Parachute Payments payable for each such Season shall be paid to the owner and operator of such Club at the commencement of the relevant Season(s) following relegation.

MB62
16-01-2017, 03:41 PM
No guarantees in football though. A couple of decent away results for Morton and suddenly we'll all take notice.

Think we are already taking notice, especially after our game against them there.

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Every team should be looking over there shoulder (unless you're bottom of the league and therefore have nobody creeping up on you) including ourselves. Whilst i believe we will now kick on and build up a decent gap ahead of the final united game in March it's imperative that nobody takes their eye of the prize and we all remain 100% focused from now until the end of the season

I'm including the fans in the "We all" aspect. We need to continue to turn up in numbers, show support and patience to the players and staff as we are. We've played an important part this season so let's continue that

Salt N Sauzee
16-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Think it's very possible that Falkirk may drop out of the Play-off positions and replaced by Dunfermline in the coming weeks. The Pars have hit a good bit of form lately.

Wilson
16-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Think we are already taking notice, especially after our game against them there.

Sorry, I'm not. I was quite dismissive of their chances in an earlier post and still feel that way. Unless, as I say, they put a couple of unexpected away results on the board. Dundee Utd away would be good :-)

Smartie
16-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Sorry, I'm not. I was quite dismissive of their chances in an earlier post and still feel that way. Unless, as I say, they put a couple of unexpected away results on the board. Dundee Utd away would be good :-)

I still think it's all about us though.

We've been pretty solid away from home all season, but have shown a frailty at home from time to time.

I still think that we need to be utterly ruthless and still have that little bit of concern that we might draw the odd home game under certain circumstances - decent away team who come and park the bus leading to our fans and players getting frustrated etc etc. We only need to do that a couple of times and it gives someone, somewhere a bit of hope.

We're coming off 3 good results but until then we were good enough but a bit patchy.

If we do what we need to do then there's nothing that Morton, United or anyone can do about it.

ozwoody
11-03-2017, 03:25 AM
I dont think the question is 'should'.

They ARE looking over their shoulder.

I dont think they'll finish 2nd either. Ive a feeling the likes of Morton or Falkirk will catch them :agree:

You are spot on with this prediction !

houstonhibbee
11-03-2017, 03:28 AM
Falkirk are now the team ahead of Dundee Utd......

DH1875
11-03-2017, 04:20 AM
Can see Falkirk catching them :agree::agree::agree:.

HoboHarry
11-03-2017, 04:32 AM
Can see Falkirk catching them :agree::agree::agree:.
DU have a game in hand but Falkirk have already caught them and overtaken them by one point......