PDA

View Full Version : 79 cup final

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2017, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GNIcayXleU

This has just appeared on youtube, thats the first time i have seen any of this.

Mr White
14-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Sky must have dug them out of some sealed archive as they used all of those clips in a feature they did before last season's final. They interviewed Derek Johnstone and Tony Higgins and it was the first time I'd ever seen any footage of any of the 3 games.

Hibs Class
14-01-2017, 08:49 PM
McCloy assault on Colin Campbell just as I remember it.

Kato
14-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Sky must have dug them out of some sealed archive as they used all of those clips in a feature they did before last season's final. They interviewed Derek Johnstone and Tony Higgins and it was the first time I'd ever seen any footage of any of the 3 games.

They did. This is from a totally different angle though, different camera.

Mr White
14-01-2017, 08:53 PM
They did. This is from a totally different angle though, different camera.

Are you sure? The first shot is from the North terrace right enough but the match action is exactly the same imo.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 08:55 PM
1st time I've ever seen that. How was that not a penalty?

Also why is there so little footage of that final? I assume the SC Final was televised in those days?

Kato
14-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Are you sure? The first shot is from the North terrace right enough but the match action is exactly the same imo.

Dunno if the SKY footage is still up but pretty sure yes, theirs didn't have those two goals (which must be from the third game) and the angle on the Campbell pen incident looks different.

lord bunberry

Also why is there so little footage of that final? I assume the SC Final was televised in those days?
It wasn't a penalty because we were playing Rangers.

Mr White

It's the only Scottish cup final since 1970ish that hasn't had highlights available online as far as I know.

Mr White
14-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Dunno if the SKY footage is still up but pretty sure yes, theirs didn't have those two goals (which must be from the third game) and the angle on the Campbell pen incident looks different.

They did show the 2 goals, coopers shot and the assault on campbell. I'll have a look if I can find the link as I posted it on here in june.

Bostonhibby
14-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Yep, was at all three games. We were robbed but the ref really couldn't give that stone wall penalty - the lodge wouldn't let him back in he knew that and mccloy knew it.

Iggy Pope
14-01-2017, 09:01 PM
I was standing high behind that goal and my 16yo eyes had never seen a clearer penalty. They're nearly 54 now and still can't believe what they seen.

BSEJVT
14-01-2017, 09:06 PM
I was standing high behind that goal and my 16yo eyes had never seen a clearer penalty. They're nearly 54 now and still can't believe what they seen.

I am a year older than you and concur with your comments.

IIRC Colin Campbell had a great shot well saved by McCloy late on too

Didn't think I would need to wait nearly 40 years to see us win cup then!

But so glad I got to see it.

Mr White
14-01-2017, 09:16 PM
They did show the 2 goals, coopers shot and the assault on campbell. I'll have a look if I can find the link as I posted it on here in june.

Here it is:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10287699/hibs-v-rangers-37-years-on

Mick O'Rourke
14-01-2017, 09:20 PM
I too was at the 3 games (with a Wembley visit in between)
The second replay (if memory serves) was on the Monday after the aforementioned Scotland game at Wembley on the previous Saturday.
I was skint after Wembley, but a pal of my dad, who was also at Wembley, paid my travel and entrance to Hampden for the 2nd replay.(and a few jars!)
To say "we were robbed" is an understatement, and those 3 games have riled me ever since.
Although my memory of them has gone (drink probably)
So to finally get the Holy Grail is all the sweeter in that we got revenge of a sort against them.
Same scoreline too
On the televising of the final....
Could it be that only the 1st game would have been live on cooncil telly back then, and maybe not the replays?

Kato
14-01-2017, 09:21 PM

Same angle, mate. Weird marbles clanking around my head.

Mr White
14-01-2017, 09:26 PM
Same angle, mate. Weird marbles clanking around my head.

I think it's the lack of commentary or voice over that makes it look a bit different in the new youtube version.

Golden Bear
14-01-2017, 09:32 PM
The 79 finals were probably more famous for the post match battles off the park than the actual games. Absolute mayhem as I recollect, they made last season look like a Sunday school picnic.

Lago
14-01-2017, 09:45 PM

2 things I remember about that game. It was a stone wall penalty and our bus being ambushed on the way home, everything from stones, bottles thrown at it. Somethings never change.

Hibernia&Alba
14-01-2017, 09:49 PM
The good old days, when Rangers didn't need to concern themselves with winning fair and square. No penalty from referee William Williamson :aok:

Golden Bear
14-01-2017, 09:49 PM
2 things I remember about that game. It was a stone wall penalty and our bus being ambushed on the way home, everything from stones, bottles thrown at it. Somethings never change.

It was the era of steel combs, flying golf balls, and invasion of double decker buses. Crazy times.

northstandhibby
14-01-2017, 09:52 PM

Yep they're still belting out their hate filled sectarian anthems en masse in front of the Scottish Bobbies at every football ground without fear of being lifted for it.

Glory Glory

Golden Bear
14-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Yep they're still belting out their hate filled sectarian anthems en masse in front of the Scottish Bobbies at every football ground without fear of being lifted for it.

Glory Glory

The Tic fans were no better, their wee party piece was to throw empty wine bottles up into the rafters of the Stand and shower the opposition fans (us) with broken glass.

Hibernia&Alba
14-01-2017, 09:58 PM
The Tic fans were no better, their wee party piece was to throw empty wine bottles up into the rafters of the Stand and shower the opposition fans (us) with broken glass.

Buckfast

WoreTheGreen
14-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Was at the SC 6_1 game in the celtic end hibs end really feared for our saftey bottles rained down most of the game best fans in the world my arse

northstandhibby
14-01-2017, 10:05 PM

I know they were both as bad as each other at that time. Us and the Yams were singing sectarian songs then too.

My point was really that virtually every club in Scotland including us and the Yams and to a great extent Celtic has eradicated the sectarian singing.

The Huns are still belting them out every week they play without fear of being either arrested or their club punished for it.

They are virtually the only club in Scotland whose 'supporters' are allowed by the SFA and Police Scotland to publicly sing these vile songs.

We've already had the debate about 'liablity' but surely it wouldn't take much to bring these neanderthals into line like the rest of us who stopped singing about religion or religious hatred some years ago.

Glory Glory

Golden Bear
14-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Was at the SC 6_1 game in the celtic end hibs end really feared for our saftey bottles rained down most of the game best fans in the world my arse

Yip. Not an experience I'd like to repeat.

kaimendhibs
14-01-2017, 10:13 PM
I was at all 3 games. Robbed in the first, also 100 plus buses bricked. 2nd game non descript and the 3rd, what a horrid way to lose.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Lago
14-01-2017, 10:16 PM
It was the era of steel combs, flying golf balls, and invasion of double decker buses. Crazy times.

Your right, I was on the supporters bus from the Unicorn pub in Dalkeith with my Father in law & Brother in law & I am not ashamed to say it was absolutely terrifying, thing was the police just stood & watch all the buses being attacked.

Forza Fred
14-01-2017, 10:17 PM
This cup final was the first Scottish Cup Final televised live in Oz.

Watched it with a Rangers supporting friend and team mate who sadly, died in a car crash not long after.

Like to say I remember the game, but so blootered, I barely remembered the score waking up next day!

Ringothedog
14-01-2017, 10:25 PM
The second replay (if memory serves) was on the Monday after the aforementioned Scotland game at Wembley on the previous Saturday.
I was skint after Wembley, but a pal of my dad, who was also at Wembley, paid my travel and entrance to Hampden for the 2nd replay.(and a few jars!)
To say "we were robbed" is an understatement, and those 3 games have riled me ever since.
Although my memory of them has gone (drink probably)
So to finally get the Holy Grail is all the sweeter in that we got revenge of a sort against them.
Same scoreline too
On the televising of the final....
Could it be that only the 1st game would have been live on cooncil telly back then, and maybe not the replays?

That description is so close to mine but my older brother paid for me.Thanks Alan.

Earlydelivery
14-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Went on bus from loch inn (now city club) went through with about 24 windows intact, came back with 6 .

Risboro Hibby
15-01-2017, 12:05 AM
I was at all 3 games too and glad from looking at all the posts that I drove to them all. Mind you I did have a bright orange Morris Marina at the time so was probably the reason I got there and back unscathed

Hibbyradge
15-01-2017, 12:13 AM

Me too.

We drove to London and that's a story in itself, but I remember there was a petrol shortage and we only just made it back in our hired Vauxhall Viva. 😂

gringojoe
15-01-2017, 12:28 AM

If Campbell had scuffed the shot it would have gone in, he hit it to well,
That was my first time at Hampden and first thoughts were what a *****hole.

houstonhibbee
15-01-2017, 12:40 AM
It was not segregated. I was at the celtic end and didn't see any issues. Hibs fans mixed in with celtic

O'Rourke3
15-01-2017, 02:21 AM

This is one of the Traditions they are moaning at losing....

O'Rourke3
15-01-2017, 02:27 AM

Maybe the first SCF broadcast live. 1st replay had a delayed broadcast. I remember my dad and me watching it not knowing the score before the start. There may have been highlights for the 2nd replay but I never saw them.

Liberal Hibby
15-01-2017, 03:05 AM
Maybe the first SCF broadcast live. 1st replay had a delayed broadcast. I remember my dad and me watching it not knowing the score before the start. There may have been highlights for the 2nd replay but I never saw them.

Was at the semi v Aberdeen and the first game, but as it was a school night I didn't go to the replays. But the second replay was broadcast live on Radio Scotland (I think) and I remember listening to it while pretending to do my homework. And when Arthur scored the opener I thought we'd done it! I only had to wait another 37 years...

On a related point I remember reading the Evening News cup final special and they mentioned a very elderly Hibs fan who had seen the 1902 win and was at Hampden in 79. Does anyone remember that (or has a copy)?

Colr
15-01-2017, 08:29 AM

I was 12yo and was in the stand. I recall the late shot by Campbell. I was sure it was going in. We should have won that day.

Devonhibs
15-01-2017, 08:41 AM
First and last time I have been stood on by a police horse at the first reply!!!

Topographic Hibby
15-01-2017, 09:04 AM
The cine film that starts the youtube video has been around a bit. Its from an Oldco (RIP) perspective. Someone has tacked-on the clips from the Sky short to make the you tube video.

I was only at the first game. But I have a memory of seeing Arthur's winning goal on TV highlights after Game 3. It was definitely out there.

Golden Bear
15-01-2017, 09:25 AM
It was not segregated. I was at the celtic end and didn't see any issues. Hibs fans mixed in with celtic

Maybe at the same end but we were segregated into different sections.

Risboro Hibby
15-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Was at the semi v Aberdeen and the first game, but as it was a school night I didn't go to the replays. But the second replay was broadcast live on Radio Scotland (I think) and I remember listening to it while pretending to do my homework. And when Arthur scored the opener I thought we'd done it! I only had to wait another 37 years...

On a related point I remember reading the Evening News cup final special and they mentioned a very elderly Hibs fan who had seen the 1902 win and was at Hampden in 79. Does anyone remember that (or has a copy)?

I remember that that article too LH in the Evening News but always thought it was in the special for the 72 cup final v Celtic. Knowing the Evening News they probably just copied it for the 79 one as well

Keith_M
15-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Didn't go to that final so my first visit to Hampden was in 82 and I concur with he comment about it being a dump.

Easter Road wasn't exactly a thing of beauty at that time but Hampden took the biscuit when it came to *****holes. I couldn't believe they still didn't have concreted terracing but had red ash propped up by railway sleepers... and that was the National Stadium!

Canon Hannan
15-01-2017, 05:04 PM

My dad and grandad mixed with Celtic fans and drank with them - in the game then. As for The Huns....tales of them chased out of Glasgow etc. Also I have had knives presented and spat in from those lovely bluenoses. They are a level like no other! Hearts are Saints compared with them.

malcolm
15-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Your right, I was on the supporters bus from the Unicorn pub in Dalkeith with my Father in law & Brother in law & I am not ashamed to say it was absolutely terrifying, thing was the police just stood & watch all the buses being attacked.

Not quite they leaped into action to arrest anyone who got off a bus to confront those doing the stoning. That impression of Glasgow police has stayed with me and I've never had reason to change that view.

proud_and_green
15-01-2017, 06:15 PM
I was 16 at the time and remember having bricks and bottles thrown at us and chased after the first game by Rangers fans behind the east stand around where Asda is now. I now realise that was them taking preemptive action to defend their players from being assaulted by Hibs fans at last year's cup final, clearly my own fault!

heretoday
15-01-2017, 07:25 PM
By the third game the terracing support had dwindled somewhat. We went through on the train to Kings Park station, I think, and it was a depressing journey home. If you'd told me it would be 36 years odd before we were to win the trophy I think I'd have given up football and taken up ice hockey or something.

heretoday
15-01-2017, 07:26 PM

And no paticular protest from Hibs players. It was more of a man's game then.

southsider
16-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Took my then, young brother who was 10 (now 47) on the Pentland Bus. Not a window was left intact. Cops stood about and watched. They only interviened when we cornered a group of the rock throwers and prepared to give them a taste of their own medicine. As I said 37 years on and the hun support are still extra's from Deliverance.

hibee_nation
16-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Maybe at the same end but we were segregated into different sections.

There was no segregation at the Celtic end i was in it. The trouble was in the Rangers end where both sets of fans were. The segregation in those days was how many stood together in the front line and battled with them.