PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Australian Open

Sir David Gray
14-01-2017, 09:25 AM
The first Major of the year starts at midnight on Monday UK time.

Sir Andy Murray begins his first Grand Slam tournament as world number one and he plays Ilya Marchenko in round one. Unfortunately for UK viewers the match will be starting about 4am.

Roger Federer will be making his long awaited return into big time tennis on Monday after his injury problems from last year and his first match against Jurgen Melzer will be on at around 10am UK time.

Kei Nishikori and Stan Wawrinka are also playing on day one.

If Sir Andy is going to get his first Australian Open title, his path will probably look like this (world rankings in brackets);

1st round - Ilya Marchenko (93)
2nd round - Yen-Hsun Lu (61)
3rd round - Sam Querrey (31)
Last 16 - Lucas Pouille (16)
Quarter finals - Kei Nishikori (5)
Semi finals - Stan Wawrinka (4)
Final - Novak Djokovic (2)

Very tough run from the Quarter finals onwards.

Speedy
16-01-2017, 03:53 AM
Murray looking pretty comfortable in the first set after losing his opening service game.

Nishikori through in 5 against Kusnetsov, who Dan Evans beat in the semis at Sydney.

I'll be there on Saturday at Rod Laver (and maybe Friday evening with a ground pass), draw probably means I won't see Murray but can't wait nonetheless!

Speedy
16-01-2017, 03:57 AM
Jinxed him, second break. 4-5.

Speedy
16-01-2017, 04:04 AM
5-5. Murray to serve.

He had a little stumble there, hopefully not picked up any injury.

Speedy
16-01-2017, 05:20 AM
Tie break in the 2nd. Murray 1-0 down, Marchenko to serve.

Sir David Gray
16-01-2017, 06:08 AM
Sir Andy into round two winning 7-5 7-6 6-2.

Sir David Gray
17-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Andy Murray has a late start tomorrow for his second round match. He begins at approximately 10am UK time against Andrey Rublev, who's a young Russian currently ranked 152nd in the world.

Hopefully it will be another straight sets victory.

All of the top seeds have safely negotiated their way through their opening match. Only 4 seeds have dropped out with the top one being Lucas Pouille, who was due to meet Murray in the last 16, although his opponent in that round is now due to be John Isner so it's not exactly got any easier.

Roger Federer also plays tomorrow against Noah Rubin and he'll be on court around 4am UK time.

Sergio sledge
18-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Dan Evans beats 7th seed Marin Cilic 3-6 7-5 6-3 6-3. Fantastic victory for him!

Sir David Gray
18-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Amazing victory for Dan Evans this could seriously change his career. That kind of victory would have been unthinkable in the past. He has a winnable match in the next round against Bernard Tomic although the crowd will obviously be against him.

Easy victory for Sir Andy as well. He now plays Sam Querrey.

stoneyburn hibs
19-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Yes ! Novak is out.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Istomin wins 3-2 v Djokovic after a match lasting 4hrs 48mins, happy days!

Sir David Gray
19-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Wow Novak Djokovic is out of the Australian Open, losing to Denis Istomin in 5 sets!

Really didn't see that coming. What a chance now for Murray to pick up his first Australian Open title and to also move further ahead in the world number one spot.

--------
19-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Wow Novak Djokovic is out of the Australian Open, losing to Denis Istomin in 5 sets!

Really didn't see that coming. What a chance now for Murray to pick up his first Australian Open title and to also move further ahead in the world number one spot.

Never have a better chance. :agree:

Pretty Boy
19-01-2017, 09:31 AM
If Murray is going to win in Oz it surely has to be this year.

He must fancy the French as well.

lord bunberry
19-01-2017, 02:04 PM
I'm deeply suspicious about Djokovic. His form has really taken a dip in the last year since the new drug regulations were brought in.

Sergey
19-01-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm deeply suspicious about Djokovic. His form has really taken a dip in the last year since the new drug regulations were brought in.

Indeed - but the whole sport of tennis has a huge question mark hanging over it.

He's also a vegan which makes his performances even more unbelievable. While I'm not adverse to the odd lentil and mushroom bhaji, his stamina (and more so his recovery) over the last few seasons really is questionable.

lord bunberry
19-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Indeed - but the whole sport of tennis has a huge question mark hanging over it.

He's also a vegan which makes his performances even more unbelievable. While I'm not adverse to the odd lentil and mushroom bhaji, his stamina (and more so his recovery) over the last few seasons really is questionable.
You have to wonder if he was using the same stuff that sharapova was using.

Sergey
19-01-2017, 02:41 PM
You have to wonder if he was using the same stuff that sharapova was using.

This is the ITF rules re drug testing:

Where, in any eighteen-month period, a Player in the
International Registered Testing Pool is declared to have three
Filing Failures, or three Missed Tests, or any combination of
Filing Failures and Missed Tests adding up to three in total,
whether under this Programme, or (in accordance with Article
11.1.5 of the International Standard for Testing) under the rules
of any other relevant Anti-Doping Organisation, then (save only
where Article 11.6.5(a) of the International Standard for
Testing provides otherwise) the matter shall be referred to the
Review Board to determine, in accordance with Article 7.5.2 of
this Programme and Article 11.6.5 of the International Standard
for Testing, whether the Player has a case to answer under
Article 2.4.

This seems ridiculously easy to get around. Declare bogus whereabouts and this gets you past 2 doping tests - just make sure you're available for the third. You'd have to some sort of idiot to get caught (Sharapova is a prime example).

This would explain dips in form for top players who sitting on 2 "strikes" have to lay off the juice for a while until their strikes counter gets reset to zero. It was widely rumoured that Djokovic had missed 2 OOC tests around 2014/15.

I read a quote recently that Federer had only been tested OOC once in 3 seasons.

Hanging Sharapova out to dry doesn't get rid of the problem.

HibbyAndy
19-01-2017, 04:33 PM

:agree:

He's never been the same since Sharapova was hung out to dry, I honestly believe ND is a drugs cheat and has stripped Murray of numerous titles (Many in the Ozzy open )

Pretty Boy
19-01-2017, 04:37 PM

Said it for years. His transformation from a guy who was often shattered after 3 sets to the machine of the last few years was quite literally unbelievable. His slump since is likewise.

The reaction of both him and Becker to Murrays comments last year about drugs in tennis were very much of the 'doth protest too much' variety.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2017, 06:31 PM
I personally come at it from the angle of not wanting to believe that Djokovic is guilty of taking anything illegal. Only he knows the truth and if he has taken anything he shouldn't have, he'll need to deal with that being on his conscience.

Whatever has happened in the past, it's clear he's definitely not taking anything just now, or if he is he needs to ask for a refund!

McD
19-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Said it for years. His transformation from a guy who was often shattered after 3 sets to the machine of the last few years was quite literally unbelievable. His slump since is likewise.

The reaction of both him and Becker to Murrays comments last year about drugs in tennis were very much of the 'doth protest too much' variety.

Totallyagree with your first point, he couldn't go beyond 3 sets for years, then suddenly was unstoppable, with the change being written off by him changing to a gluten free diet!

Whilst it's not drugs related, I also think he's a cheat in that, for 4-5 years, whenever an opponent (Murray in particular) started to get on top and gain some momentum, NK would feign injury, hirple back to his seat, wait for as long as he could, then request the trainer, drag that out as long as he could, then suddenly sprang up and returned to the machine he was before, with no sign of said injury at all. This happened so many times it was embarrassing, I even heard commentators making occasional comment about it.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Andy Murray eases through to round four after beating Sam Querrey in straight sets.

Dan Evans is currently playing against Bernard Tomic and he's just been broken back and it's currently 2-2 in the opening set.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Evans takes set 1 7-5

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2017, 07:43 AM
2nd set tie-break.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Evans wins the tie-break 7-3

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Great hold of serve by Evans to go 5-4 up in set 3, he's played some great shots.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2017, 08:49 AM
3rd set tie-break.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Evans win 3-0, breakthrough performance methinks, well played Dan.

Sir David Gray
20-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Another brilliant result for Dan Evans beating Tomic in straight sets.

Much tougher test in the next round against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga although he can be so proud of his efforts so far.

Speedy
21-01-2017, 06:14 AM
Brilliant tennis in the Nadal v Zverev match.

Zverev is without a doubt a future grand slam winner.

Speedy
21-01-2017, 06:35 AM
2-1 Zverev. Phenomenonal stuff in the tie break. Winning point was unreal.

Speedy
21-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Rafa's to lose now. Zverev cramping up and really struggling.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Nadal eventually through in five sets. I caught a bit of the last set, seems to have been a good match.

Speedy
22-01-2017, 03:55 AM
Murray 1-0 down and looking troubled by Zverev's style. Lots of lobs but not really working towards the end.

Both men struggling to hold their serve so plenty opportunities to come.

Speedy
22-01-2017, 04:37 AM
5-4 up in the second, Zverev serving to stay in the set.

Again there has been numerous breaks with Murray still making too many errors. Still, win this set and I reckon he'll be fine.

Speedy
22-01-2017, 05:22 AM
1 set all and Murray down a break in the 4th.

Still not looking great but passing a lot better than he was.

Speedy
22-01-2017, 05:27 AM
5-2 down. Zverev serving to go 2-1 up.

Speedy
22-01-2017, 05:41 AM
2-1 down and a break down in the 4th.

Zverev playing very well and causing him problems. Really cutting out the unforced errors.

Speedy
22-01-2017, 06:38 AM
That'll be that then.

Fair play to Zverev, came forward quickly and didn't make the mistakes Murray normally looks for people to make. Deserves to go through.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2017, 11:40 AM
To say I'm shocked by Murray's defeat is a massive understatement.

Prior to this tournament, Mischa Zverev had only won 5 Grand Slam matches in his career, only one of those wins coming at the Australian Open (which was 10 years ago) and hadn't even made the main draw at the Australian Open since 2011. Less than 2 years ago, he was ranked outside the top 1000 in the world rankings!

I didn't see the match but all the reports are saying that Zverev was the worthy winner but I don't expect him to get close to beating Roger Federer in the next round.

What a massive disappointment it will be for Murray though. It was a huge chance for him to win his first Australian Open title with Djokovic going out. I honestly don't see him getting a better chance.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Johanna Konta wins 6-1 6-4 to set up a 1/4 Final v Serena, it'll obviously be some effort to get past that one.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Johanna Konta wins 6-1 6-4 to set up a 1/4 Final v Serena, it'll obviously be some effort to get past that one.

Can't see her beating Serena to be honest but you never know. She's done well to get this far.

Quite gutted the Wawrinka - Tsonga match is on during the early hours of tomorrow morning as I reckon that could be a cracker. I'm going for Wawrinka in four sets.

I should hopefully see the first hour or so of Federer's match before going to work.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Exciting all-Swiss encounter coming up on Thursday between Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka for a place in the Australian Open final.

As I expected, Federer made light work of Mischa Zverev and Wawrinka beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets as well.

The last two quarter finals will be played tomorrow with Rafael Nadal playing Milos Raonic and David Goffin playing Grigor Dimitrov.

Although Nadal leads the head to head 6-2 against Raonic, Raonic has won his two matches in the last three matches between the pair, including the most recent one just a couple of weeks ago in Brisbane. They have never met a Grand Slam though. I personally think Raonic will come through this one but it will be a very close one which I think will go to five sets.

For the other match, again I think it will be very close. Both Dimitrov and Goffin are fairly evenly matched although I think Dimitrov will win that one, possibly in four sets.

So I reckon it will be a semi final line up of;

Federer v Wawrinka
Raonic v Dimitrov

McSwanky
25-01-2017, 08:05 AM
Although Nadal leads the head to head 6-2 against Raonic, Raonic has won his two matches in the last three matches between the pair, including the most recent one just a couple of weeks ago in Brisbane. They have never met a Grand Slam though. I personally think Raonic will come through this one but it will be a very close one which I think will go to five sets.

Interested to see the bookies have Nadal favourite for this one. Not the way I see it at all, but we'll see...

McSwanky
25-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Interested to see the bookies have Nadal favourite for this one. Not the way I see it at all, but we'll see...

...and Nadal breaks first, looks like taking the first set. Listen not to McS****y

Sir David Gray
25-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Didn't expect it to be so one sided in Nadal's favour but glad to see him back in at the business end of a Grand Slam. I would love to see a Nadal-Federer final although I think Wawrinka will beat Federer and it will be a Nadal-Wawrinka final as I expect Nadal to beat Dimitrov.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Venus Williams rolled back the years by beating Coco Vandeweghe after coming for a set down and reaching the Australian Open final at 36 years old.

She will play her sister Serena if she can beat Mirjana Lucic-Baroni which is just about to start.

There's still a possibility of an all Williams women's final and a Federer-Nadal men's final.

I wonder what odds you would have got on that double at the start of the tournament!

Federer's also two sets up vs Wawrinka, didn't expect that!

Betty Boop
26-01-2017, 10:43 AM
What a performance from Roger Federer, into his 28th Grand Slam final.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Awesome fightback I didn't see the match but followed it online looked like a brilliant contest.

Really hope it's a Federer-Nadal final.

heretoday
26-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Awesome fightback I didn't see the match but followed it online looked like a brilliant contest.

Really hope it's a Federer-Nadal final.

You'd have got huge odds on that at the start of the tournament.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2017, 08:32 PM
You'd have got huge odds on that at the start of the tournament.

Yep Roger-Rafa and Serena-Venus would have been huge odds as a double for the women's and men's finals.

ekhibee
27-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Would've liked to see a new face coming to the fore; instead we have the Williams sisters and Federer v Nadal, so nothing that I haven't seen before and I won't be watching either of the finals.

JimBHibees
27-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Would've liked to see a new face coming to the fore; instead we have the Williams sisters and Federer v Nadal, so nothing that I haven't seen before and I won't be watching either of the finals.

Tend to agree a bit depressing something a bit suspect about it IMO.

Sir David Gray
27-01-2017, 10:55 PM

Tend to agree a bit depressing something a bit suspect about it IMO.

Totally disagree, I think it's brilliant that these four great champions have got to the final of one of the sport's biggest tournaments when they are all reaching the twilight of their careers.

Venus Williams in particular is a great story. Eight years since she last got to a Grand Slam final and she's up again tomorrow against Serena Williams, probably the greatest female player ever. Venus has also had a medical condition to deal with so to play in the final of the Australian Open final tomorrow is fantastic for her.

Roger Federer is also doing something quite incredible. After not playing a single competitive match for six months through injury, he has really rolled back the years in the last fortnight. He's had an extremely tough run to the final. He's played 3 top ten players in his last 4 matches against Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka so he definitely deserves to be there.

I personally can't wait for the Federer-Nadal match. It's a final I never thought I would see again.

Speedy
28-01-2017, 04:08 AM
Totally disagree, I think it's brilliant that these four great champions have got to the final of one of the sport's biggest tournaments when they are all reaching the twilight of their careers.

Venus Williams in particular is a great story. Eight years since she last got to a Grand Slam final and she's up again tomorrow against Serena Williams, probably the greatest female player ever. Venus has also had a medical condition to deal with so to play in the final of the Australian Open final tomorrow is fantastic for her.

Roger Federer is also doing something quite incredible. After not playing a single competitive match for six months through injury, he has really rolled back the years in the last fortnight. He's had an extremely tough run to the final. He's played 3 top ten players in his last 4 matches against Berdych, Nishikori and Wawrinka so he definitely deserves to be there.

I personally can't wait for the Federer-Nadal match. It's a final I never thought I would see again.

Agree.

I fancied Federer to win since Murray went out. Thought Raonic may have edged the other half but glad to see Nadal in the final. Hope Fed wins it.

JimBHibees
28-01-2017, 09:09 AM

I think the Venus one isn't right has got nowhere near yet at 36 swans into a final. Same with federer very suspect. Bottom line is tennis is one of the most dubious sports re testing etc.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Serena Williams breaks Steffi Graf's record of 22 Grand Slam titles after beating her sister Venus 6-4 6-4.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2017, 09:31 AM
I think the Venus one isn't right has got nowhere near yet at 36 swans into a final. Same with federer very suspect. Bottom line is tennis is one of the most dubious sports re testing etc.

There is absolutely no chance that Roger Federer is on any sort of performancing enhancing drugs or any other sort of dodgy substance.

Speedy
28-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Were there any matches she won that you didn't fancy her to have a good chance? She only beat 1 seed and she was 24.

Lucky draw is the most likely explanation.

ekhibee
28-01-2017, 10:00 AM
All four of these finalists have won grand slam tournaments many times over, that's why to me it isn't of much interest. I have a lot of respect for Serena Williams in terms of her many contributions towards equality in tennis, but to me it's just like the Champions league when the 2 semi-finals comprise of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Same old. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it though, it's just my opinion.

Betty Boop
28-01-2017, 02:23 PM

:agree:

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 08:12 AM
First set Federer 6-4

Brilliant so far.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Second set Nadal 6-3

Rafa's starting to turn the screw.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2017, 09:10 AM

The problem I have is the top 2 seeds were eliminated early in the mens draw yet the men who took advantage are both edging towards the end of their careers and have been blighted by injury. That doesn't say a lot for the depth of talent in the mens game outwith the 4 that have dominated the game for the last decade plus.

It's certainly great to see 2 guys who looked like their days in the sun were behind them having another crack at glory. I've loved watching them over the years. It is a bit disappointing that the new generation haven't staked their claim though. I accept we have lived through the greatest ever era of mens tennis but still.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Federer back in front, takes the third set 6-1.

Speedy
29-01-2017, 09:49 AM
The problem I have is the top 2 seeds were eliminated early in the mens draw yet the men who took advantage are both edging towards the end of their careers and have been blighted by injury. That doesn't say a lot for the depth of talent in the mens game outwith the 4 that have dominated the game for the last decade plus.

It's certainly great to see 2 guys who looked like their days in the sun were behind them having another crack at glory. I've loved watching them over the years. It is a bit disappointing that the new generation haven't staked their claim though. I accept we have lived through the greatest ever era of mens tennis but still.

Zverev was unlucky against Nadal. He played excetionally well and it was fatigue that beat him more than anything else.

He's the real deal and the most likely in my eyes to be the next at the level of the 'big 4'.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 09:55 AM

I agree it shows up a lack of up and coming players in the men's game but i'm still not accepting that there's anything untoward going on which is what's being implied earlier in the thread.

We are living in a golden era for men's tennis. This past 10 years or so may never be seen again for many years. It's a privilege to watch these great athletes do what they do best.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 10:01 AM
What a great point there and a fantastic winner by Nadal!

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Into a fifth set as Nadal takes the fourth set.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 11:00 AM
This is what we've been waiting for!

What a fifth set. 👌

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 11:06 AM
Outstanding, simply outstanding.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Federer wins 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3 and wins his 18th Grand Slam title.

makaveli1875
29-01-2017, 01:13 PM
federer - what a guy . he struggled to contain nadals heavy game for years but today pure skill overcame brute force and surely cements federer as the greatest tennis player ever and probably the top sportsman of this century

heretoday
04-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Murray wins in Dubai!!!

GreenLake
06-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Going to watch him at BNP Paribas open from Friday.

To get better seats next year I had to drive here early to enter a priority lottery which you must actually be present for. Got to drive all the way back after. A sacrifice worth making to get closer to the front row for Hibs top display.

GreenLake
06-03-2017, 04:16 PM
Just drew numero dos! I get second pick of upgrades. Clearly a symbol of two in a row. Was wearing a Hibs beanie for luck.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Just drew numero dos! I get second pick of upgrades. Clearly a symbol of two in a row. Was wearing a Hibs beanie for luck.

Hope you enjoy yourself, I'm not jealous in the slightest...:greengrin

GreenLake
07-03-2017, 02:04 AM
Hope you enjoy yourself, I'm not jealous in the slightest...:greengrin

I have great seats already and one extra ticket so jump on a flight. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
08-03-2017, 01:09 PM
I have great seats already and one extra ticket so jump on a flight. :greengrin

Please don't tempt me! I would love to be there.

GreenLake
08-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Please don't tempt me! I would love to be there.

I hope this helps. :wink:

Renovation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKTkogvTFMY)

Dining (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgP2iIQ1gI)

Hotels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJSv30YfGw)

BNP Paribas Open (http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/en)

Sir David Gray
12-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I hope this helps. :wink:

Renovation (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKTkogvTFMY)

Dining (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgP2iIQ1gI)

Hotels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJSv30YfGw)

BNP Paribas Open (http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/en)

That's just cruel!

Can't believe Murray's lost in his first match!

GreenLake
12-03-2017, 03:23 PM
That's just cruel!

Can't believe Murray's lost in his first match!

I can!

It was the same for me last year which was my first time at BNP Paribas Open. At least I got to see him play on Stadium 1 as last year he was beaten in Stadium 2 while I was watching from a Chop House court view table. He still plays another game with Evans in the doubles so hopefully I can see more of him. Sir Andy Murray is a legend!

One lady had a paper mask of Sir Andy on her face and I turned to look at her thinking how unnerving it was to see the head of our Knight above a pair of generously sized breasts. Hopefully she doesn't read Hibs.net because she sits behind me all tournament.

We still have some great tennis to watch in Stadium 1 and two other Brits up against top players.

Daniel Evans vs Kei Nishikori

Rafa Nadal vs Guido Pella

Kyle Edmund vs Novak Djokovic

Stephane Robert vs Roger Federer

GreenLake
17-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Murray doing well with Soares. The wife is detaiNed at work so I was scouring the 300 seats with my scopes first a Hibby to upgrade but no sign of any. An Orange man rugby fans is two rows behind and a very nice guy. Seems it's only the h uh not afflicted bigot ORangers who are deplorable.

I told him I wont drink Jamieson and only use it to clean my car parts.

GreenLake
18-03-2017, 12:18 AM
Maybe I am a jinx