PDA

View Full Version : Leeds

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Flying under Monk. I don't take a huge interest in English football, but I thought Gary Monk was treated appallingly by Swansea. Everything that's wrong with the game down south was summed up in his sacking. I hope they go up and Swansea go down. Proper old school football club like us, even though they do have a reputation for dirty football.

cabbageandribs1875
13-01-2017, 09:57 PM
barcelona and real madrid combined couldn't have lived with Leeds tonight

:)

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 10:00 PM

They were absolutely dominant. It reminded me of that game in the league cup(the one hearts haven't won for 50 years) when we beat hearts 1-0 on the way to winning the trophy(something hearts haven't done in 50 years).

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2017, 10:02 PM
What was wrong with his sacking at Swansea? Apparently edged the previous manager out from within and then ended up with a massively divided dressing room. Replaced Bony horribly and got the sack.

Golden Bear
13-01-2017, 10:02 PM
I only saw the second half but witnessed more action than I've seen in 90 minutes of some of the Premiership drudgery this season.

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 10:07 PM
What was wrong with his sacking at Swansea? Apparently edged the previous manager out from within and then ended up with a massively divided dressing room. Replaced Bony horribly and got the sack.
He led them to their highest ever finish in their history and was sacked after a poor start to the next season. They've gone backwards since sacking him and like every club that continually sack managers, they will end up going down.

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2017, 10:10 PM
He led them to their highest ever finish in their history and was sacked after a poor start to the next season. They've gone backwards since sacking him and like every club that continually sack managers, they will end up going down.Didn't the guy before him lead them to their highest finish? And the guy before him? They were constantly progressing through good signings and good results, that stopped under Monk.

I like the guy and he is clearly talented but he wasn't at all faultless in his sacking.

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Can't stand them, nor the far right element within their support. I hope it all ends terribly for them :aok:

Bostonhibby
13-01-2017, 10:16 PM
No time for Leeds at all but I rate monk and what he did at Swansea highly. Not ashamed to say that dirty leeds have been a stalwart in my battles with paddy power since monk took over

" I spent some of the happiest days of my football playing life at Easter Road" - Sir Matt Busby

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Didn't the guy before him lead them to their highest finish? And the guy before him? They were constantly progressing through good signings and good results, that stopped under Monk.

I like the guy and he is clearly talented but he wasn't at all faultless in his sacking.
Every other manager jumped ship after leading them to a lesser finish than Monk. It was classic short termism.

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Every other manager jumped ship after leading them to a lesser finish than Monk. It was classic short termism.Laudrup didn't jump ship, he was punted after winning the league cup because of a massive dressing room rift that (allegedly) Monk helped to cause.

cabbageandribs1875
13-01-2017, 10:29 PM
They were absolutely dominant. It reminded me of that game in the league cup(the one hearts haven't won for 50 years) when we beat hearts 1-0 on the way to winning the trophy(something hearts haven't done in 50 years).

and it reminded me of a Leeds v Southampton game in the early 70's :greengrin 7-0 leeds and an amazing 39 passes without a saints player touching the ball..ole, no surprise Billy Bremner was a big part of it all, and a Peter Lorimer hat-trick

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/355274/The-39-passes-that-still-ring-down-the-years

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Laudrup didn't jump ship, he was punted after winning the league cup because of a massive dressing room rift that (allegedly) Monk helped to cause.
That's true. I have to say I hadn't heard about the dressing room bust up or that Monk was the instigator.

J-C
13-01-2017, 10:41 PM
I like Monk and thought Swansea treated him poorly, Leeds are a big club and have been ran appallingly over the years, it would be good to see them back in the EPL.

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Absolutely off topic, but the replacement of Bony should be a stark reminder that selling your main striker and thinking there's a ready made replacement out there can go badly wrong.

Captain Trips
14-01-2017, 12:10 AM
I like Monk and thought Swansea treated him poorly, Leeds are a big club and have been ran appallingly over the years, it would be good to see them back in the EPL.

Leeds would be great club to try an build again great potential but as you say ran appallingly over last 10-15 years.

Ryan69
14-01-2017, 12:38 AM
always remember buying shares in Leeds. 2p a share...all it took was a buyer!
huge club too.

I still can't believe nobody saw the potential in them!

ekhibee
14-01-2017, 01:27 AM
He managed them to finish 8th in the Premiership, with a win at Old Trafford and doing the double over Arsenal, that's pretty good in my book. Laudrup was sacked because they been beaten in 6 out of their last eight games in 2014 and were just above the relegation zone, and because he'd dithered about signing a new contract with them. Monk was sacked for a poor run of results in 2015.

Dashing Bob S
14-01-2017, 03:33 AM
Do you reckon he'll get up to any monkey business in the transfer window?

J-C
14-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Absolutely off topic, but the replacement of Bony should be a stark reminder that selling your main striker and thinking there's a ready made replacement out there can go badly wrong.

Do you think Monk had anything to do with Bony being sold?

lord bunberry
14-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Do you think Monk had anything to do with Bony being sold?
No. I was linking the selling of Bony to our situation with Cummings.

Keith_M
14-01-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm surprised that none of these rich foreign investors has seen the potential of Leeds.

The city has a population of 750k, bigger than Manchester. They only have one football club and the locals are very loyal to that club (e.g. they don't have 2/3 of the population that support one of two clubs from another city).

They also have a 40k plus capacity stadium with space for expansion.

If somebody came in with a bit of money, and ran them properly, I have no doubts they could be challenging at the top of the EPL.

McD
14-01-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised that none of these rich foreign investors has seen the potential of Leeds.

The city has a population of 750k, bigger than Manchester. They only have one football club and the locals are very loyal to that club (e.g. they don't have 2/3 of the population that support one of two clubs from another city).

If somebody came in with a bit of money, and ran them properly, I have no doubts they could be challenging at the top of the EPL.

they have a foreign owner, who's been subject to numerous 'fit and proper' investigations/claims, and who has just sold 50% of his stake in the club.

J-C
14-01-2017, 10:38 AM
No. I was linking the selling of Bony to our situation with Cummings.

Ah I get you now :)

Jim44
14-01-2017, 10:48 AM
I've never liked Leeds since our European game with them and their OTT negative tactics with us.

Callyballybe
14-01-2017, 11:23 AM

I've a good group of mates down that way who are all big Leeds fans. I've asked them this plenty of times. The support they have (although has quite a bad element in it according to my Man Utd supporting mate) is massive. They were getting around 30,000 a week for some games when they were down in league one! But as far as I'm aware, the issue with bringing in a 'proper' foreign owner with lots of disposable income (they've had quite a few duds in of recent years) is that they don't own their stadium or their training ground. But Ken Bates, and subsequent owners, were still looking for a hefty fee to purchase the club. This, coupled with the increased competition to get out of the English Championship, has made them not as great as buy as you'd expect.

The Leeds fan on here can correct any of that above if it's wrong - it's just what I've been told.

Still a massive club in my eyes and (finally) it seems have the right manager. I think they'll make play offs this year personally, although that type of talk is banned when I'm down there!

BullsCloseHibs
14-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Really?

Watched them toil last Monday vs Cambridge Utd in the cup. Very laboured win and very dull all round. Wasn't impressed at all.

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Really?

Watched them toil last Monday vs Cambridge Utd in the cup. Very laboured win and very dull all round. Wasn't impressed at all.

you do realise they played a weakened team in the cup game :confused:, as did liverpool in the draw with plymouth, leeds started with 3 players in the cup game that played in the previous league game

CyberSauzee
14-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Regardless of the managers involved it was a superb game of football to watch. One of the best I've seen in a long time.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Is Leeds potential really that great?

Look at the money they were spending in the 90s and 00s and that bought them a one way ticket to where they are now. How much would they need to spend to compete with the current also rans like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. You can probably chuck Man Utd in that group as well. £80M? £90M? More? The money Man City and Chelsea had to spend after their takeovers respectively is probably a pretty good guide.

Look at Aston Villa and Newcastle for proof that a big fan base guarantees nothing in the EPL. I think Leeds would be a decent addition to the EPL but their likely place in the pecking order these days is probably somewhere between 8th and 15th.

zolliehibs
14-01-2017, 01:21 PM
In fairness to Swansea regarding Bony, they had already brought Bafe Gomis in months before agreeing to sell to Man City so there was foresight there. Gomis just didn't produce is all!

Swansea are the team I follow down south and Monk leaving was the right thing at the time. We completely lost our identity in terms of "Swanselona" passing football under him and many of his signings were poor. I can't speculate on the dressing room division and his part in it because I have no inside knowledge on it or anything. I don't think the club treated him badly as we were toiling by the end of his time, and the relationship must be fine now as we've let him take Bartley and Grimes on loan. He's still largely popular amongst a lot of the fan base though and I hope he continues to do well at Leeds.

superfurryhibby
14-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Is Leeds potential really that great?

Look at the money they were spending in the 90s and 00s and that bought them a one way ticket to where they are now. How much would they need to spend to compete with the current also rans like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. You can probably chuck Man Utd in that group as well. £80M? £90M? More? The money Man City and Chelsea had to spend after their takeovers respectively is probably a pretty good guide.

Look at Aston Villa and Newcastle for proof that a big fan base guarantees nothing in the EPL. I think Leeds would be a decent addition to the EPL but their likely place in the pecking order these days is probably somewhere between 8th and 15th.

This summarises the state of play in the EPL in a nutshell. Ok, you may get a once in 25 year blip where the likes of Leicester overturn the status quo, blips like that will probably happen once in a generation ( if at all), but the rise of Chelsea and City show the kind of money required to compete.

Teams like Sheffield Wednesday , Coventry, Nottingham Forest and Birmingham were all top flight clubs over many years when I was growing up. All have decent supports etc, but they have fallen by the wayside. Fanbase virtually counts for nothing in the age of the football franchise.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 01:28 PM
This summarises the state of play in the EPL in a nutshell. Ok, you may get a once in 25 year blip where the likes of Leicester overturn the status quo, blips like that will probably happen once in a generation ( if at all), but the rise of Chelsea and City show the kind of money required to compete.

Teams like Sheffield Wednesday , Coventry, Nottingham Forest and Birmingham were all top flight clubs over many years when I was growing up. All have decent supports etc, but they have fallen by the wayside. Fanbase virtually counts for nothing in the age of the football franchise.

Yep. You either need a huge commercial presence across the world or super wealthy benefactors.

Leeds have neither and without a super wealthy owner coming in they won't be near the top of the EPL consistently ever again. The same could be said for plenty of teams who used to be challengers.

Is It On....
14-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Flying under Monk. I don't take a huge interest in English football, but I thought Gary Monk was treated appallingly by Swansea. Everything that's wrong with the game down south was summed up in his sacking. I hope they go up and Swansea go down. Proper old school football club like us, even though they do have a reputation for dirty football.

Also thought that GM was treated appallingly. Glad he had got himself another role and (at the moment) proving the doubters wrong.

Is It On....
14-01-2017, 05:27 PM

You should have a look at the last First Division table before the Sky money came in..the difference in the names is amazing!!

Keith_M
14-01-2017, 06:05 PM
they have a foreign owner, who's been subject to numerous 'fit and proper' investigations/claims, and who has just sold 50% of his stake in the club.

I was more thinking along the lines of somebody genuinely interested in helping the club progress, which I don't think applies to anybody that's owned Leeds for a while now.

heretoday
14-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Leeds were a right bunch of cheaters in the 60s and 70s.

Keith_M
14-01-2017, 06:38 PM

The Germans weren't very nice in the 30s and 40s but I've been willing to put that behind me.

So much so I even married one of them...

:wink:

Phil MaGlass
14-01-2017, 06:52 PM
NO HIBS CONTENT, Leeds r pish , oh , END OF

cabbageandribs1875
14-01-2017, 07:13 PM
You should have a look at the last First Division table before the Sky money came in..the difference in the names is amazing!!

blackburn now sitting 3rd bottom in the championship below burton albion, one of their home gates several weeks ago attracted just 3,500

zolliehibs
14-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Also thought that GM was treated appallingly. Glad he had got himself another role and (at the moment) proving the doubters wrong.

How? By getting sacked when Swansea were shocking?

lord bunberry
14-01-2017, 07:30 PM
How? By getting sacked when Swansea were shocking?

They're worse now. They had a good manager who had done well for them and they didn't give him the chance to turn things round. Leeds are now benefiting from having him in charge while Swansea look like going down.

norhfc
14-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Always had a soft spot for Leeds, my first ever football top, late 70s, the next year I got the Bukta Hibs top. Had a few friends at their game last night, they where full of praise for the Leeds fans....hope they get up this year.

--------
14-01-2017, 08:22 PM

So they were, and I've always found it hard to like them for that reason.

But Garry Monk has always seemed to be a decent guy with good ideas about how he wants his teams to play, and he was very harshly treated by Swansea City. He had given enough to that club over the years to deserve a much better chance than the one he was given.

I've seen Leeds a couple of times recently and TBH Monk seems to have them playing some very decent and attractive football - and he's no Don Revie. I think he's a good coach, and IMO he deserves success.

Leeds have a very big fan-base and have the potential to be a very big club if things go well with them under GM's direction. They'd surely make a better fist of the EPL than some of the teams that are up there just now.

I hope they get the chance.