PDA

View Full Version : NHC Diego Costa offered £30 million a year by Chinese Super League club.

iwasthere1972
13-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Hasn't trained for three days and has been dropped by Chelsea after row with fitness coach.

£30 million a year. Absolutely mental. He's ONLY on £4 million a year at Chelsea. No wonder he wants to go.

GreenLake
13-01-2017, 06:52 PM
What goes around comes around.

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 06:58 PM
For that sort of money you can't blame him. He'll be rich beyond his wildest dreams. He's absolutely hated in this country and the reverse would be the case if he went to China.

Saturday Boy
13-01-2017, 07:00 PM
With that sort of wage, he could open a chain of coffee shops ;-)

Hamish
13-01-2017, 07:01 PM
With that sort of wage, he could open a chain of coffee shops ;-)

Diego's.

iwasthere1972
13-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Diego's.

:greengrin

iwasthere1972
13-01-2017, 07:03 PM
He would be on £2.5 million a month but would ONLY walk out with £1.4 million a month. Unless its £30 million nett.

Saturday Boy
13-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Diego's.

Good stuff, but it has a hell of a kick

lord bunberry
13-01-2017, 07:09 PM
He would be on £2.5 million a month but would ONLY walk out with £1.4 million a month. Unless its £30 million nett.
**** that then, he should tell them to bolt :greengrin

Is It On....
13-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Hasn't trained for three days and has been dropped by Chelsea after row with fitness coach.

£30 million a year. Absolutely mental. He's ONLY on £4 million a year at Chelsea. No wonder he wants to go.

So he goes from £80k per week to >£80k PER DAY..that is genuinely unbelievable.

Lago
13-01-2017, 07:36 PM
EPL now becoming seriously worried about player's heads being turned by Chinese money on offer. Love it.

LustForLeith
13-01-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm hoping he does go as I have money on Zlatan being top goal scorer in the Premier.

J-C
13-01-2017, 07:41 PM
EPL now becoming seriously worried about player's heads being turned by Chinese money on offer. Love it.

TBH only money grabbing players will go, there's still a lot who play to win trophies and titles, go to China and never play for your country again, or play in a European cup final. These guys are loaded anyway, so a few go and get silly money, who really cares.

Mr White
13-01-2017, 07:43 PM
I'm hoping he does go as I have money on Zlatan being top goal scorer in the Premier.

Proof, if it were needed, that greed permeates every aspect of the modern game :greengrin

northstandhibby
13-01-2017, 07:45 PM
TBH only money grabbing players will go, there's still a lot who play to win trophies and titles, go to China and never play for your country again, or play in a European cup final. These guys are loaded anyway, so a few go and get silly money, who really cares.

You make a fair point. However maybe China with it's megabucks is now the go to place. The FA cup appears to have lost its appeal and the league cup or the milk cup or whatever its called lost its way many years ago, even a lot of european games have become much of the same teams playing one another. Only winning the EPL seems to be a decent chase now.

Can't really blame a lot of the top top players moving to emerging countries leagues.

Glory Glory

TRC
13-01-2017, 07:49 PM
I reckon if it continues then we will see an East West champions league. Had to laugh at Wenger say the money is ruining the game though!!

Ryan69
13-01-2017, 07:56 PM
its amazing how FIFA just ignore financial FairPlay rules when it comes to Chinese teams....

Colr
13-01-2017, 07:57 PM
What goes around comes around.

Doesn't come around to me.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2017, 08:09 PM
its amazing how FIFA just ignore financial FairPlay rules when it comes to Chinese teams....

Thats a very reasonable point.

Mr White
13-01-2017, 08:10 PM

Is that not a UEFA rule?

Saturday Boy
13-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Is that not a UEFA rule?

What? China's not in Europe? Neither are we , soonish.

Big L
13-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Chelsea have already picked up £60 Mill or something stupid for Oscar, they must be picking up another right wedge for Costa. Thats why they went for the Swansea striker.

Lago
13-01-2017, 08:40 PM
To a degree your right, but the Chinese are determined to take the game & take it to the whole country, thats huge. We have seen Andy McNeil on his way & he is no super star so a whole range of players will be required. If & I accept its a big if the TV companies get inerested then it will be a whole new ball (pun intended) game.

high bee
13-01-2017, 08:52 PM
What? China's not in Europe? Neither are we , soonish.

Unless we can negotiate staying in as part of Brexit :)

Saturday Boy
13-01-2017, 08:56 PM
Unless we can negotiate staying in as part of Brexit :)

I dare anyone to come up with a China out of Europe. UEFA, FIFA combined word. Chewexit?

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2017, 08:59 PM
He is on nearly 10 million at Chelsea, dunno where you got 4 from.

Marco G
13-01-2017, 09:03 PM
You make a fair point. The top Chinese teams are having to pay way over the odds to attract these players. The Chinese Government has already said it plans to clamp down on this sort of overspend.

EPL is awash in cash due to TV and spends it all on inflated wages to tempt players from going to top Euro clubs. Then complains when it gets guzumped by crazy spending by Chinese.

The only way all these things end is the same. The bubble bursts. In this case folk lose interest in the TV product, TV money evaporates, and lots of clubs go pop.

Was interested to see a report today that SPFL has highest ratio of income via gate receipts of any Euro league. The danger signals are for England, Spain, Italy and Germany.

HibbySpurs
13-01-2017, 09:19 PM
That's just mental coin!..

Per month = £2.5m
Per Week = £625,000 (4wk cycle)
Per day = £125,000 (5 day week)
Per hour = £15,625 (8hr day)
Per minute = £260
Per second = £4.33

That's gash, less than the hourly minimum wage per second???????

Wouldn't get oot ma bed 😂😂😂

Hibernia&Alba
13-01-2017, 09:30 PM
That's just mental coin!..

Per month = £2.5m
Per Week = £625,000 (4wk cycle)
Per day = £125,000 (5 day week)
Per hour = £15,625 (8hr day)
Per minute = £260
Per second = £4.33

That's gash, less than the hourly minimum wage per second???????

Wouldn't get oot ma bed 😂😂😂

There are hundreds of millions still living in absolute poverty in China, operating subsistence farms out in the middle of nowhere. WTF is going on? The world is mad.

pacoluna
13-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Riordan was just 5 years to early otherwise it seems he would have been a millionaire

iwasthere1972
13-01-2017, 10:23 PM
He is on nearly 10 million at Chelsea, dunno where you got 4 from.

Sky Sports News. Might be nett.

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2017, 10:30 PM
Sky Sports News. Might be nett.
Fair enough, no way Chelsea only paying their top striker 80k pw. 180k more like it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Is that not a UEFA rule?

Aye, right enough! Doh!

Jack Hackett
13-01-2017, 10:39 PM
There are hundreds of millions still living in absolute poverty in China, operating subsistence farms out in the middle of nowhere. WTF is going on? The world is mad.

Have you just noticed?

It's been like this from Day 1.

Where have you been?

Haymaker
13-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Aye, right enough! Doh!

And it's only enforced on small teams.

Pete
14-01-2017, 02:09 AM
He's absolutely hated in this country and the reverse would be the case if he went to China.

You think?

He'll be playing in an area where everyone supports either Manchester United or Liverpool...or both.

Centre Hawf
14-01-2017, 04:06 AM
Riordan was just 5 years to early otherwise it seems he would have been a millionaire

If he stayed a bit longer he very well could have been.

pacorosssco
14-01-2017, 04:38 AM
If he stayed a bit longer he very well could have been.

Was he not offered million a year but then bumped.no wages? Hence reason cut short. Same boyd turkey but uefa sorted

pacorosssco
14-01-2017, 04:43 AM

Not so sure. Internationals big names gone already. If money lasts watch them all go. Money grabbing ? Applies epl now stakes raised. Medals mean little now. If best all go. Asia cup will slide in replace champ league

NAE NOOKIE
14-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Obscene money, an outrage, blah, blah, blah .......... good luck to him or anybody else who can attach themselves to that out of control gravy train.

The 90 odd percent of Europe's fitba fans who support ordinary teams at least will get the chance to laugh our tits off as 'fans' of the continents and UKs giants start bleating about money ruining the game :faf:

As I said on another thread, if this continues and China starts sooking up the very best from Europe, South America and Africa then European clubs will be forced to pay the same big bucks as they are paying now, but for lesser talents. That effect will trickle down and hopefully enable Scottish clubs to demand far fairer transfer fees for our best players.

John McGinn without China ...... £3,000,000
John McGinn with China ........... £5,000,000

pacorosssco
14-01-2017, 06:17 AM
Obscene money, an outrage, blah, blah, blah .......... good luck to him or anybody else who can attach themselves to that out of control gravy train.

The 90 odd percent of Europe's fitba fans who support ordinary teams at least will get the chance to laugh our tits off as 'fans' of the continents and UKs giants start bleating about money ruining the game :faf:

As I said on another thread, if this continues and China starts sooking up the very best from Europe, South America and Africa then European clubs will be forced to pay the same big bucks as they are paying now, but for lesser talents. That effect will trickle down and hopefully enable Scottish clubs to demand far fairer transfer fees for our best players.

If deal goes through. Leaving epl leaders at peak career . Massive shift in power base. Just think money wont last at these levels. Crazy crazy money

lucky
14-01-2017, 06:23 AM

But using that logic we would have to pay more for players of a lesser ability too.

JimBHibees
14-01-2017, 07:19 AM

Couldn't agree more. Absolute madness.

hibbysam
14-01-2017, 07:24 AM
I think it is brilliant what they are doing. It's not about signing players it is a process to make there national team competitive at the top, and the way they are going about it is brilliant, but now they need top players to take it to the next level.

They can't just flood teams with players, they must have at least 7 homegrown players in their starting line ups, which is only going to enhance those players abilities playing with the top players from Europe.

All the infrastructure is there, the population is massive meaning huge potential, although they have TV money, most money is likely to come from sponsorship due to the size of audience they are selling to, so less likely to dry up.

Anyone who enjoys/supports EPL teams but thinks this is wrong are jealous that someone with a bigger and brighter idea has come along and taken over.

J-C
14-01-2017, 07:45 AM
This is all state sponsored though, can you imagine the UK government getting involved and throwing billions at another sport just to make them world champions in a few years, this is not a level playing field and it won't last.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Although these wages are obscene, i think anyone being approached would seriously have to consider it.

These are amounts of money that would make them their families and extended families comfortable for life, and their children's children.

I wouldnt blame anyone for taking these offers.

LustForLeith
14-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Proof, if it were needed, that greed permeates every aspect of the modern game :greengrin

And with the winnings I'll buy Costa and Zlatan for Hibs

Beefster
14-01-2017, 10:36 AM

The £30m would be net. TBF, if I was him, I'd want to go too.

ano hibby
14-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Interesting showdown...Abramovich v Chinese government.
Guess even if Abramovich wins this battle he won't win the war as money talks.

iwasthere1972
14-01-2017, 10:50 AM
The £30m would be net. TBF, if I was him, I'd want to go too.

:agree: Both figures of £4 million and £30 million are net. So 7.5 times the salary that he is currently on. If I was him I would be learning Chinese right now. League winners medal or loadswonga?

CapitalGreen
14-01-2017, 10:53 AM
:agree: Both figures of £4 million and £30 million are net. So 7.5 times the salary that he is currently on. If I was him I would be learning Chinese right now. League winners medal or loadswonga?

Who's to say he won't win the league in China too, plus he'll have made enough appearances to receive an EPL medal if Chelsea win it this year too.

iwasthere1972
14-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Who's to say he won't win the league in China too, plus he'll have made enough appearances to receive an EPL medal if Chelsea win it this year too.

It's a win win win all the way then.

Brightside
14-01-2017, 11:25 AM
A real shame to be losing Costa - best striker in the Prem by a country mile.

marinello59
14-01-2017, 12:33 PM
But using that logic we would have to pay more for players of a lesser ability too.

Exactly. It shoves us even further down the pecking order.

CropleyWasGod
14-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Do you know for certain that both amounts are net?

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is how difficult it is to get money out of China......

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
14-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Do you know for certain that both amounts are net?

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is how difficult it is to get money out of China......

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Said on SSN that the figures are nett. As you say, it could be difficult getting the money out of China.

stantonhibby
14-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Although these wages are obscene, i think anyone being approached would seriously have to consider it.

These are amounts of money that would make them their families and extended families comfortable for life, and their children's children.

True, although these players will already have more money than they know what to do with.

heretoday
14-01-2017, 01:36 PM
True, although these players will already have more money than they know what to do with.

And their agents.....

Hibernia&Alba
14-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Doesn't ten million per year for kicking a ball around already achieve all of that?

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Doesn't ten million per year for kicking a ball around already achieve all of that?

Is Costa getting £10m a year net?

easty
14-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Is Costa getting £10m a year net?

I read somewhere that he was on £4m a year

Hibbyradge
14-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Costa is on £185k per week i,e, nearly £10m a year.

3pm
14-01-2017, 02:58 PM
I read somewhere that he was on £4m a year

After tax. Must be struggling.

NAE NOOKIE
14-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Exactly. It shoves us even further down the pecking order.

Not sure about that ..... Hibs like a lot of clubs here don't really do transfer fees, we are far enough down the food chain that that might not change the type of players available to us, though it might mean we would have to offer better wages.

blackpoolhibs
14-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Costa is on £185k per week i,e, nearly £10m a year.

After deductions its nearer £4m it seems, the £30m is net apparently. This kind of dosh will turn most peoples heads in my opinion.

The folk who say it wouldnt are kidding themselves. :greengrin

easty
14-01-2017, 03:55 PM
After deductions its nearer £4m it seems, the £30m is net apparently. This kind of dosh will turn most peoples heads in my opinion.

Absolutely. If he doesn't fancy it after a year, bank a fortune and plenty teams will be happy to bring him back to Europe.

ScottB
14-01-2017, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure...

I mean, if you were on £20k a year and someone offers you £100k, I doubt anyone would say no, but if you were already earning more money than you can realistically spend, and you were offered a lot more to go do a worse job in what you might consider a worse place to live...

I can understand the guys going who are old, or who aren't top players, but someone in their prime, who could be playing for trophies in Europe's top leagues heading for China, it smacks of greed and nothing else. A player motivated by sporting achievement certainly wouldn't go, for example, if rumours are to be believed, Ronaldo knocked back an offer of £2million a week...

Onion
14-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Amusing watching BT Sport commentators whining and bleating on about lack of player loyalty and following the money :greengrin

Jack Hackett
14-01-2017, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure...

I mean, if you were on £20k a year and someone offers you £100k, I doubt anyone would say no, but if you were already earning more money than you can realistically spend, and you were offered a lot more to go do a worse job in what you might consider a worse place to live...

I can understand the guys going who are old, or who aren't top players, but someone in their prime, who could be playing for trophies in Europe's top leagues heading for China, it smacks of greed and nothing else. A player motivated by sporting achievement certainly wouldn't go, for example, if rumours are to be believed, Ronaldo knocked back an offer of £2million a week...

It's all relative. Players like Ronaldo have interests outside of football that put them in the super rich category, and actually can afford to turn down offers. The merely rich are looking up and envying

lucky
14-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Very few players would turn down £30m a year. It's crazy money but that's the way football has gone.

heretoday
14-01-2017, 05:22 PM
I wonder if Mourinho would have taken the same line against Costa, knowing his respect for the medical profession!

ozwoody
15-01-2017, 04:38 AM
China plans to have 70,000 pitches built by 2020.
They already have 10,000 public ones and 40,000 in schools.
China,like Japan , have a 30 year plan in progress (Japan already 10 years into theirs) to be a force in world football.
A lot of "C " licence coaches are being sourced in Australia to coach the youth teams and schools ,as well as the coaches,on the national curriculum currently here in Oz.
Sort of makes the SFAs 5 year vision which gets rolled out every new manager, and changes every 2 years , a joke.

Marco G
15-01-2017, 08:30 AM
China plans to have 70,000 pitches built by 2020.
They already have 10,000 public ones and 40,000 in schools.
China,like Japan , have a 30 year plan in progress (Japan already 10 years into theirs) to be a force in world football.
A lot of "C " licence coaches are being sourced in Australia to coach the youth teams and schools ,as well as the coaches,on the national curriculum currently here in Oz.
Sort of makes the SFAs 5 year vision which gets rolled out every new manager, and changes every 2 years , a joke.

They do have big plans, but they could be scuppered by the top teams spending the crazy money they are and going bust.

Already the government has got involved saying the overspending must stop (and the government basically has the power to do it). Like the States before, trying to create a top league from scratch aint easy and can go pop.

ozwoody
15-01-2017, 08:52 AM
They do have big plans, but they could be scuppered by the top teams spending the crazy money they are and going bust.

Already the government has got involved saying the overspending must stop (and the government basically has the power to do it). Like the States before, trying to create a top league from scratch aint easy and can go pop.

Agreed, but where the likes of the states went wrong was trying to buy a whole team of players on big money but did not invest in the grassroots game to get youngsters involved.
Japan and to a lesser extent Australia realised if you are going to be competitive you cant pay over the odds for over the hill players that give nothing back to the grassroots clubs and thats why ,over the past few years,a total overhaul was introduced so that all coaches would coach to the curriculum. Does every player make it? Of course not but the amount of Japanese and Australian players making it in europe and qualifying for world cups shows that these countries are starting to produce more quality players shows it has merits.
41,000 watched the Sydney derby last night (a game that was live on tv) outwith an old firm game all clubs would kill for that attendance

Marco G
15-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Agreed, but where the likes of the states went wrong was trying to buy a whole team of players on big money but did not invest in the grassroots game to get youngsters involved.
Japan and to a lesser extent Australia realised if you are going to be competitive you cant pay over the odds for over the hill players that give nothing back to the grassroots clubs and thats why ,over the past few years,a total overhaul was introduced so that all coaches would coach to the curriculum. Does every player make it? Of course not but the amount of Japanese and Australian players making it in europe and qualifying for world cups shows that these countries are starting to produce more quality players shows it has merits.
41,000 watched the Sydney derby last night (a game that was live on tv) outwith an old firm game all clubs would kill for that attendance
Thanks for your insight. Hope you dont lose too many of your good Aussie coaches into the Chinese system 😉, but it is great that some countries do have plans to improve their football quality from within!

ozwoody
15-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for your insight. Hope you dont lose too many of your good Aussie coaches into the Chinese system 😉, but it is great that some countries do have plans to improve their football quality from within!

The Chinese system are looking at methods from all over and they are seeing whats already in place and cherrypicking what they think will give them headstart on their plan.
Aussie coaches are in demand as we have had the curriculum for 6 years now ,fully supported by the FFA.
Depending on what group you are coaching , you must have relevant qualification whether it's junior,youth or senior in community clubs or "C" "B" or "A" licences for state, semi or professional teams.
Similarly in Scotland but I think junior clubs dont take the grassroots qualifications as seriously but happy to be proved wrong.
I wish the SFA blazers would look beyond their own interests and look at how we can discover the next golden generation.
I'm sorry if i sound frustrated but its probably cause i am!

Marco G
15-01-2017, 12:11 PM
The Chinese system are looking at methods from all over and they are seeing whats already in place and cherrypicking what they think will give them headstart on their plan.
Aussie coaches are in demand as we have had the curriculum for 6 years now ,fully supported by the FFA.
Depending on what group you are coaching , you must have relevant qualification whether it's junior,youth or senior in community clubs or "C" "B" or "A" licences for state, semi or professional teams.
Similarly in Scotland but I think junior clubs dont take the grassroots qualifications as seriously but happy to be proved wrong.
I wish the SFA blazers would look beyond their own interests and look at how we can discover the next golden generation.
I'm sorry if i sound frustrated but its probably cause i am!
That is the key point - it has to be a system that works for the specific country and its problems. But good coaching must be at the heart of it. Eg Iceland are punching way above their weight by investing in training lots of qualified coaches and providing infrastructure to back it up.

To do that in a country the size of China will be a challenge but if they have the funds then they could succeed with a model that suits them.

Baader
16-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Good piece before Christmas on Oscar's China move and the football set up there...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/17/oscar-china-chelsea

Marco G
16-01-2017, 09:03 PM

As an add on, action is being taken to try to clamp down on this

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38636082