PDA

View Full Version : Graham Taylor

lord bunberry
12-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Just heard he has passed away aged 72. RIP.

Thecat23
12-01-2017, 12:33 PM
I always felt a bit sorry for him. Media gave him a torrid time when he was in charge of England.

Very sad to hear about his passing. R.I.P

lord bunberry
12-01-2017, 12:37 PM
I always felt a bit sorry for him. Media gave him a torrid time when he was in charge of England.

:agree: The press gave him an absolutely torrid time.

SuperAllyMcleod
12-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Always thought he was a good co-commentator on the Tv and radio. Sad.

jgl07
12-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Do I not like that.

Lancs Harp
12-01-2017, 12:48 PM
RIP Graham

Nice fella and certainly a "Mr Football" type

overdrive
12-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Sad to hear that. I remember him getting over-excited about De la Cruz when he was commentating on an Ecuador match during the 2002 World Cup then he bought him from us that summer.

JimBHibees
12-01-2017, 12:57 PM
The behind the scenes documentary when he was England manager was a classic.

To the 4th official "Thank the linesman for getting me the sack".

Seemed a decent guy. RIP.

Watford_Mark
12-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Met him a few times, really nice guy.

RIP

Bostonhibby
12-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Shame, he was okay and I think had a better record as England manager than some. RIP

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

heretoday
12-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Good football man. Old school.

JimBHibees
12-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Shame, he was okay and I think had a better record as England manager than some. RIP

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Agree was very unlucky to have failed to qualify for World cup. Key game v Holland Koeman should have been sent off early doors, he then went on to score a free kick in the game.

BroxburnHibee
12-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Agree was very unlucky to have failed to qualify for World cup. Key game v Holland Koeman should have been sent off early doors, he then went on to score a free kick in the game.

A free kick if I remember which was retaken and scored at the 2nd attempt.

Hibernia&Alba
12-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Good football man. Old school.

Aye, RIP.

Seems it was a heart attack; out of the blue.

Hillsidehibby
12-01-2017, 03:02 PM
A free kick if I remember which was retaken and scored at the 2nd attempt.

"He's gonna chip it, he's gonna chip it. He chipped it"

JimBHibees
12-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Aye, RIP.

Seems it was a heart attack; out of the blue.

Pretty sure he was on the radio a couple of weeks back.

HIBERNIAN-0762
12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=lord bunberry;4905384]:agree: The press gave him an absolutely torrid time.[/QUOTE

This.

As they always do.

One of the nicer guys along with Bobby Robson.

RIP

--------
12-01-2017, 04:48 PM
One of the good guys.

Old-style football manager whose achievements have been overshadowed by the disgraceful way the tabloid press treated him when he was England manager.

His achievements at Watford and Aston Villa were immense - before him Watford's highest league placing was third in the Third Division, and Villa were in the Second Division and struggling when he took over. He took them both to second place in the old First Division - overall Championship runners-up, in other words.

I think he was also one of the first British managers to give black players equal opportunity to play at the top level - John Barnes and Luther Blissett spring to mind?

A very good, sensible pundit, analyst and commentator. He always came over as a really nice, generous guy.

Very sorry to hear of his death.

Eyrie
12-01-2017, 07:21 PM
A work mate was a youth player at Dundee when he met Taylor. Said all the youths were in awe and Taylor couldn't have been nicer to them.

Lago
12-01-2017, 08:01 PM
A very under rated coach who was monstered by the media when he was England manager.

Is It On....
12-01-2017, 08:05 PM

Star of one of the best fly on the wall documentaries ever.. with the greatest of quotes.."do I not like that"..

Scottie
12-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Very sorry to hear that.

One of footballs genuine nice people. Excellent man manager and manager. His treatment by the tabloid rags were an utter disgrace.

RIP Mr Taylor.

truehibernian
12-01-2017, 11:54 PM
I heard a wee tribute today on the radio which, if you lived in the 80's it'll resonate due to the horrible race hate climate that existed - and showed the man he was - when John Barnes was being racially abused from the stand during a game he approached the 'fan' after the game and said 'you should watch your language young man, that's another human being you're abusing' - I'd hazard a guess not many managers back in that era would have cared.

A humble and well respected man in football circles - rest in peace.

Colr
13-01-2017, 05:32 AM

What he did with Watford was remarkable - testament to what can be achieved if you stick with a manager and let him enact a plan. The England job is a poisoned chalice given the mismatch between expactations ( mostly of the press) and the capability of the team.

Thecat23
13-01-2017, 06:25 AM
What he did with Watford was remarkable - testament to what can be achieved if you stick with a manager and let him enact a plan. The England job is a poisoned chalice given the mismatch between expactations ( mostly of the press) and the capability of the team.

Couldn't agree more.

heretoday
13-01-2017, 11:12 AM
I've enjoyed hearing the eulogies to Taylor from various old tabloid hacks the last two days.

Most of them would have been queuing up to knife him in former times.

Buckin' rats.

jacomo
13-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Sad to hear that. I remember him getting over-excited about De la Cruz when he was commentating on an Ecuador match during the 2002 World Cup then he bought him from us that summer.

So he did. We needed the money at the time too.

Everyone has good words to say about him. The guy who made the infamous documentary said Taylor could have pulled the plug on the project when England failed to qualify, but he kept to his word (even though he knew it would not show him in the best light).

BSEJVT
13-01-2017, 04:02 PM
His treatment by the tabloid press was a disgrace.

But sadly other than the far greater extent to which he suffered no different to whatever target was in their sights at that time, from whatever walk of life or political persuasion.

Probably similar other than extent again to that suffered by top club and International managers since too.

Seems to have been a very nice man, caring and helpful to others and his club achievements cannot be underestimated.

Good TV and radio pundit also with better insight than many

RIP Graham

Sammy7nil
13-01-2017, 07:55 PM
His treatment by the tabloid press was a disgrace.

But sadly other than the far greater extent to which he suffered no different to whatever target was in their sights at that time, from whatever walk of life or political persuasion.

Probably similar other than extent again to that suffered by top club and International managers since too.

Seems to have been a very nice man, caring and helpful to others and his club achievements cannot be underestimated.

Good TV and radio pundit also with better insight than many

RIP Graham

:agree::agree::agree:

Baader
13-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Fantastic manager and a good guy. Talked about football very well too. Never felt he got the credit he deserved for his achievements at Watford which were pretty incredible.

LustForLeith
14-01-2017, 06:53 AM
I heard a wee tribute today on the radio which, if you lived in the 80's it'll resonate due to the horrible race hate climate that existed - and showed the man he was - when John Barnes was being racially abused from the stand during a game he approached the 'fan' after the game and said 'you should watch your language young man, that's another human being you're abusing' - I'd hazard a guess not many managers back in that era would have cared.

A humble and well respected man in football circles - rest in peace.

It was during the game when he turned to the fan. Watched the clip yeterday, can't beleive racial abuse was so brutal.

Great guy taylor.