PDA

View Full Version : Magic of the FA Cup

dalkeith stu
08-01-2017, 01:29 PM
My erse, looks like there's only a couple of hundred folk at the Cardiff V Fulham game.

wpj
08-01-2017, 01:35 PM
My erse, looks like there's only a couple of hundred folk at the Cardiff V Fulham game.

Plymouth have travelled in numbers to Liverpool though. Would like to see them get a result.

blackpoolhibs
08-01-2017, 01:36 PM
It is magic, the clubs have made thousands of fans disappear.

Broken Gnome
08-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Serves them right. Same-division early round cup ties are rubbish anyway, then add in lower league, two mid-table clubs, AND make it a half 11 kick off. Mental.

cabbageandribs1875
08-01-2017, 01:38 PM
11:30 ko, you have to feel for both sets of fans

Boyle89
08-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Plymouth have travelled in numbers to Liverpool though. Would like to see them get a result.

With that fud in charge?

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Serves them right. Same-division early round cup ties are rubbish anyway, then add in lower league, two mid-table clubs, AND make it a half 11 kick off. Mental.

300 mile round trip as well.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2017, 01:47 PM

I'm no fan of Liverpool but I hope they take about 10 of Plymouth and the ****bag who plays in goals for them has a nightmare.

greenlex
08-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Whatever happened to rip roaring cup ties? I watched Fulham v Cardiff and now have Liverpool v Plymouth on. Both are it have been played like a training game. I've no seen a tackle yet. Disappointing.

iwasthere1972
08-01-2017, 01:57 PM
I too hope that the Scousers take a barrowload off Plymouth. Their manager looks familiar. :greengrin

Nearly 9,000 Plymouth fans have made the journey and up to now they haven't had anything to get off their seats for. I reckon 6-0.

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 01:57 PM

'Mon the Pilgrims! :thumbsup:

greenlex
08-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Plymouth. 9 at the back and 1 in midfield. Garbage.

iwasthere1972
08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
'Mon the Pilgrims! :thumbsup:

Can't see the Pilgrims Progress.

Wilson
08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Can't see the Pilgrims Progress.

Very good :)

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-01-2017, 02:08 PM
I watched the last 25 mins or so of the Cardiff game and tbh it was an embarrassment. The amount of times the Fulham defence or midfield were passing it amongst themselves with no pressing or aggression from a team getting beat at home in the cup was pathetic

Money has become so pivotal to the game down their it wouldn't surprise me if a team like Cardiff cared more winning their next league fixture than they do about progressing in the cup. Sad

MWHIBBIES
08-01-2017, 02:11 PM
I watched the last 25 mins or so of the Cardiff game and tbh it was an embarrassment. The amount of times the Fulham defence or midfield were passing it amongst themselves with no pressing or aggression from a team getting beat at home in the cup was pathetic

Money has become so pivotal to the game down their it wouldn't surprise me if a team like Cardiff cared more winning their next league fixture than they do about progressing in the cup. SadHow is that sad? I'd prefer we get promoted over winning a trophy this season as well.

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-01-2017, 02:25 PM
How is that sad? I'd prefer we get promoted over winning a trophy this season as well.

Promotion won't give me the feeling 21/05/16 did and I said that after the semi final that I'd take another season in this league to win the cup.

Growing up playing, we wanted to win every cup and every league game. Simple as that. If we went out the cup to a league rival the way Cardiff did today this place would be in meltdown

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Promotion won't give me the feeling 21/05/16 did and I said that after the semi final that I'd take another season in this league to win the cup.

Growing up playing, we wanted to win every cup and every league game. Simple as that. If we went out the cup to a league rival the way Cardiff did today this place would be in meltdown

Staying in the Championship will be worth millions to Cardiff, winning a couple of rounds in the FA Cup won't be.

berwickhibee
08-01-2017, 02:33 PM
I'm no fan of Liverpool but I hope they take about 10 of Plymouth and the ****bag who plays in goals for them has a nightmare.

I agree pb,piece of ***** in goals for them,something's can't be forgiven.:grr:

NAE NOOKIE
08-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Three things have contributed to the FA cup losing its mystique:

1) The year Man Utd bumped it to play in the club world cup thing, the FA scored a huge own goal by not allowing them to play a weakened team. It had a lasting effect on the tournaments prestige.

2) The loss of the old Wembley. The stadium's place in the tournaments history was as important as the trophy itself and even though it did have to be replaced and the new stadium is awesome, for some reason its just not the same. For those of us who watch on the telly the rubbish camera angle doesn't help.

3) The Champions league ..... back in the day if you couldn't win the league the FA cup was a more than acceptable 2nd prize. Now all the big clubs care about is finishing in the top 4 of the EPL and the FA cup is very much an afterthought to them.

Bless em, the BBC have done their best to polish the turd that the FA cup has become, but the truth is that all you have to do is look at the attendances. For a lot of clubs back in the day a decent draw in the FA cup would guarantee you one of your biggest crowds of the season ... not any more and that says it all .... here's a selection:

Sunderland v Burnley ....................... 17,632
Birmingham v Newcastle .................. 13,172
Bolton v Crystal Palace ..................... 11,683
Norwich v Southampton .................... 12,479
QPR v Blackburn .............................. 7,482
Hull v Swansea ................................ 6,608

Preston bucked the trend with an excellent 22,000 against Arsenal .... but I think the point is made.

08-01-2017, 02:38 PM
I agree pb,piece of ***** in goals for them,something's can't be forgiven.:grr:

Agreed. ****ing ****bag. I know some folk will argue "oh but he's done his time" but I'd feel sick to the pit of my stomach if I was those two young boys parents seeing him live the luxury life style of a professional footballer.

2 young lives lost and a family ripped apart all because of that arrogant, thought-less moron.

scoopyboy
08-01-2017, 02:43 PM
I find it sad to see how teams treat the FA Cup.

A great tournament that the clubs treat as a pain in the ar**.

When Norwich equalised against Southampton the commentator said right away that this was the result neither side wanted. Why, so they could get back to mid table mediocrity in their respective Leagues?

As a laddie and even until relatively recently I loved the FA Cup but now it has lost it's appeal.

Apart from anything else it was a competition years ago where you could get decent accumulators up in the fixed odds.:greengrin

silverhibee
08-01-2017, 02:45 PM

:agree:

F***ing detest Plymouth for the backing they gave to that ****bag in goals, piece of s*** that he is.

08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
:agree:

F***ing detest Plymouth for the backing they gave to that ****bag in goals, piece of s*** that he is.

Not only employing him and giving him back the luxury of being a footballer but made him club captain!

What a wonderful role model!

Onion
08-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Magic of the FA is a sentimental myth perpetuated by the media. Vast majority of the Premiership clubs could not give a toss about that cup now and happy to play reserves, youngsters and crocks in most games. They're much more concerned about staying on the EPL, competing for Europe and the title which are all worth £££££ more than that cup.

In fact, Hibs Cup win in May 2016 was probably the last Great Moment in cup history, North or South of the Border :thumbsup:

Haymaker
08-01-2017, 02:54 PM
This game is proper Shan.

Hermit Crab
08-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Liverpool making heavy weather of it. Every time Liverpool have a shot blocked they claim handball. A bit desperate is it not.....

Liam89
08-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Steve McManaman is an absolute tosspot.

Smartie
08-01-2017, 03:36 PM
I hate the decline of the FA Cup.

It was/ should be one of the world's best sporting competitions.

The money money money obsession South of the border has pretty much turned me off it altogether.

The highest level of football there is just a disgusting big festival of greed.

There is still a little bit of soul that remains unsold, but you've got to drop at least 2 divisions to find it.

BroxburnHibee
08-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Bournemouth made 11 changes yesterday and were promptly emptied by Millwall

League survival even for a team that size more important than a trophy.

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Three things have contributed to the FA cup losing its mystique:

1) The year Man Utd bumped it to play in the club world cup thing, the FA scored a huge own goal by not allowing them to play a weakened team. It had a lasting effect on the tournaments prestige.

2) The loss of the old Wembley. The stadium's place in the tournaments history was as important as the trophy itself and even though it did have to be replaced and the new stadium is awesome, for some reason its just not the same. For those of us who watch on the telly the rubbish camera angle doesn't help.

3) The Champions league ..... back in the day if you couldn't win the league the FA cup was a more than acceptable 2nd prize. Now all the big clubs care about is finishing in the top 4 of the EPL and the FA cup is very much an afterthought to them.

Bless em, the BBC have done their best to polish the turd that the FA cup has become, but the truth is that all you have to do is look at the attendances. For a lot of clubs back in the day a decent draw in the FA cup would guarantee you one of your biggest crowds of the season ... not any more and that says it all .... here's a selection:

Sunderland v Burnley ....................... 17,632
Birmingham v Newcastle .................. 13,172
Bolton v Crystal Palace ..................... 11,683
Norwich v Southampton .................... 12,479
QPR v Blackburn .............................. 7,482
Hull v Swansea ................................ 6,608

Preston bucked the trend with an excellent 22,000 against Arsenal .... but I think the point is made.

74396 at Old Trafford yesterday.

Tom Hart RIP
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
I remember clearly every fs cup final from 1966 to about 1990. Since then I would have trouble remembering any.

Golden Bear
08-01-2017, 04:27 PM
The Spurs v Villa game has been one big yawn so far. Hardly anything of note and nearly half an hour gone.

Pete
08-01-2017, 04:49 PM
The Spurs v Villa game has been one big yawn so far. Hardly anything of note and nearly half an hour gone.

The only thing I noticed that the Villa fans were singing the Halliday and the Warburton songs.

Sergey
08-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Albert Adomah of Aston Villa started his career in the Pub League with Harrow Borough.

Good players to be found at the level :agree:

easty
08-01-2017, 04:58 PM
I'm nae John Terry fan but his red card looked a bit harsh today.

In fact...**** him, the prick deserved 2 reds.

tamig
08-01-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm nae John Terry fan but his red card looked a bit harsh today.

In fact...**** him, the prick deserved 2 reds.

No such thing as an undeserved red card for him. He should be sine died for his dressing up stunt at the Champs League final alone. Tube.

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 05:18 PM
I find it sad to see how teams treat the FA Cup.

A great tournament that the clubs treat as a pain in the ar**.

When Norwich equalised against Southampton the commentator said right away that this was the result neither side wanted. Why, so they could get back to mid table mediocrity in their respective Leagues?

As a laddie and even until relatively recently I loved the FA Cup but now it has lost it's appeal.

Apart from anything else it was a competition years ago where you could get decent accumulators up in the fixed odds.:greengrin

The best one in which your scenario applies Scoop, was recently in the Europa League, the commentator said it was good for Southampton to be out as they could concentrate on finishing in the top 6 of the league, so that they could qualify for the Europa league again... very strange stuff!

Smartie
08-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Albert Adomah of Aston Villa started his career in the Pub League with Harrow Borough.

Good players to be found at the level :agree:

He's been superb.

Miles better than that £17m top scorer in the Dutch league chap who plays for Spurs.

Sir David Gray
The only thing I noticed that the Villa fans were singing the Halliday and the Warburton songs.

Tottenham fans are now singing about Super John McGinn.

BullsCloseHibs
Spurs fans copying our songs

Broken Gnome
08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Sure we all appreciated that extended testimony to Colin Calderwood there..

Dibben
08-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Close up there of Colin Calderwood...

At least he's learned to look interested in his team!

NthCarolinaHibs
08-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Praising CC to the hilt..calling him a "Top man"..no mention of him with us tho....

BullsCloseHibs
08-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Close up there of Colin Calderwood...

At least he's learned to look interested in his team!

Colin who?

NAE NOOKIE
08-01-2017, 05:38 PM
74396 at Old Trafford yesterday.

Man Utd could get 74,000 at home to Civil Service Strollers .... hardly part of the equation mate. Did you see pictures of Cardiff v Fulham, even Gary Lineker made a joke about the game being played behind closed doors.

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Man Utd could get 74,000 at home to Civil Service Strollers .... hardly part of the equation mate. Did you see pictures of Cardiff v Fulham, even Gary Lineker made a joke about the game being played behind closed doors.

Cardiff have previous for low attendances in the FA Cup with crowds of around 4000 in the last two seasons. Today's attendance was actually better than either of the previous two.

The daft kick off time, the fact it was on TV and the large distance for away fans to travel probably didn't help matters either.

Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham all had pretty much a full house today and Middlesbrough's crowd wasn't bad either.

cleanyman
08-01-2017, 05:56 PM
This is why the Scottish will always be the superior competition.

Every club in Scotland still cares about it

Mr White
08-01-2017, 06:04 PM
This is why the Scottish will always be the superior competition.

Every club in Scotland still cares about it

Except hearts. They've done their best to exit as early as possible for the last 5 years. They did at least manage to win a tie last season but they made up for that by chucking a 2 goal lead against lower league opposition at home in the 5th round.

Risboro Hibby
08-01-2017, 06:19 PM
I was at the Wycombe Stourbridge cup tie yesterday which was a fantastic game with a terrific atmosphere. Nearly an upset as Stourbridge clattered the bar at 1 1 with 10 to go before Wycombe then went up field to score the winner

Smaller teams still look to the Fa cup with excitement. It is the big clubs that ruin it playing understrength teams Hopefully in Scotland we still see our cup as a major trophy As most of us supporters of non OF teams will never see our team win the Premier League the cup as we all know by experience is our teams best chance of glory

jgl07
09-01-2017, 03:04 AM
The reason that Manchester United get 75,000 crowds is that every season ticket holder is obliged to buy a ticket for all cup matches and all European matches.

The reported attendances include these and a lot do not attend.