PDA

View Full Version : Dominique Malonga

Cod Boy
08-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Happy Birthday to Dominique Malonga the man who scored the second goal last January to start the glorious Scottish cup run.

greenlex
08-01-2017, 01:08 PM
Happy Birthday to Dominique Malonga the man who scored the first goal last January to start the glorious Scottish cup run.

Sure it was the second one but Happy Birthday Dom.

Cod Boy
08-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Sure it was the second one but Happy Birthday Dom.

Aye it was lol

JeMeSouviens
08-01-2017, 01:09 PM
Second, but joyeux anniversaire, Dominique!

Cod Boy
08-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Edited

Pretty Boy
08-01-2017, 01:10 PM
When I saw the thread title I got my hopes up for a second.......

Happy Birthday Dom.

hibsbollah
08-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Let's start a 'he's coming back' ITK thread.

I think Ive watched that Aberdeen cup goal as much as Ive watched 21/5/16 highlights. Legend.

Hi Heid Yin
08-01-2017, 02:34 PM
A player who divided opinions and one that I think just might struggle to get regular game time if he came back to E.R.
This said, great memories and some magical moments from the big fellow.

Ronniekirk
08-01-2017, 02:39 PM
It was a great gosl screamer into the top corner Only Dom could of conjured up that Ran away from playets so he could stand with his back to the hibs support showing off his name
That goal and the run more than half the pitch to score v Anerdeen at Easter Rd are two Stand Outs

.Sean.
08-01-2017, 02:56 PM
How's he doing in Italy?

Bring him back. Please.

Fergos
08-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Let's start a 'he's coming back' ITK thread.

I think Ive watched that Aberdeen cup goal as much as Ive watched 21/5/16 highlights. Legend.

That goal vs Aberdeen....the way he changes feet to slot the ball home.......one of the best goals Ive ever seen at ER, a thing of pure beauty.

GGTTH

Deansy
08-01-2017, 03:36 PM
Happy Birthday Dom - wish you were still here !!

The door's always open though - we'll need players like you in the SPL .........................

jacomo
08-01-2017, 04:08 PM
How's he doing in Italy?

Bring him back. Please.

He had an interview in the Scotsman a couple of months ago and he wasn't a happy chappy. New manager had come in and didn't fancy him, he sounded full of regret about leaving Hibs.

Happy birthday King Dom. Hope things turn around for you.

hibsbollah
08-01-2017, 04:19 PM
That goal vs Aberdeen....the way he changes feet to slot the ball home.......one of the best goals Ive ever seen at ER, a thing of pure beauty.

GGTTH

It was magnificent Fergus. The crowd was bouncing anyway, under the floodlights, Jason had just scored a screamer and Aberdeen, unbeaten in the league at the time, were on the ropes. Then he picked up the ball in his own half and you knew something special was going to happen. The first time I took my son to a night game and we still talk about it.

Fergos
08-01-2017, 04:23 PM
It was magnificent Fergus. The crowd was bouncing anyway, under the floodlights, Jason had just scored a screamer and Aberdeen, unbeaten in the league at the time, were on the ropes. Then he picked up the ball in his own half and you knew something special was going to happen. The first time I took my son to a night game and we still talk about it.

Aye one of those special nights at ER for sure and great for your son to see that on his first night game, just hope he doesn't think it happens all the time though lol!

GGTTH

dchibs
08-01-2017, 04:35 PM
It was magnificent Fergus. The crowd was bouncing anyway, under the floodlights, Jason had just scored a screamer and Aberdeen, unbeaten in the league at the time, were on the ropes. Then he picked up the ball in his own half and you knew something special was going to happen. The first time I took my son to a night game and we still talk about it.GG
Great ball from Sjm as well.

Fergos
08-01-2017, 04:44 PM
GG
Great ball from Sjm as well.

Aye it was...

Doms first attempt at controlling it was poor however.....thankfully as it may not have happened as it did if he did control it properly!

GGTTH

The Leith Dutch
08-01-2017, 11:04 PM
A player who divided opinions and one that I think just might struggle to get regular game time if he came back to E.R.
This said, great memories and some magical moments from the big fellow.

I think we never saw the best of Dom due to a lack of quality players who were on his wavelength.
I actually think he would fit in nicely to the team as is.

Assuming the Humphrey/Boyle wide players is not a one off and they play like that regularly I think someone like Dom up front would make us unplayable at this level - teams wouldn't know who to mark.

Zazu62
08-01-2017, 11:14 PM
I always look at the Pro Verceli team on live score and he's never even on the bench

The_Exile
08-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Loved the big guy, he reminded me a lot of Paco Luna, he always seemed to be a step ahead of the service he was supposed to be getting so dropped deeper to get the ball and spent large parts of the game fairly ineffective because of this. Always felt that when Dom had the ball it was glued to his feet and he was capable of moments of sheer class, great player.

The Modfather
08-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Always think some folk have a degree of rose tinted glasses when it comes to Malonga. A few comments bordering on the realms of him being too good for his teammates to play at his level.

When he was on form he was brilliant and could do things no other in the squad could do. An example being his cup goal against Aberdeen.

However he could also be totally anonymous and like a man down at times. His cameo in the derby where Farid scored and I think we won 2-0. Was one of the most selfish and egotistical performances I can remember. With a ridiculously shot from distance rather than slip in someone else when we had 2 or 3 on 1 counter attack.

With the money we have put into the club with season tickets etc and the cup win I'd be looking at players of a higher, and certainly more consistent, level than Malonga. Reckon he will end up having had a bit of a nomadic career.

pacorosssco
08-01-2017, 11:43 PM
Always think some folk have a degree of rose tinted glasses when it comes to Malonga. A few comments bordering on the realms of him being too good for his teammates to play at his level.

When he was on form he was brilliant and could do things no other in the squad could do. An example being his cup goal against Aberdeen.

However he could also be totally anonymous and like a man down at times. His cameo in the derby where Farid scored and I think we won 2-0. Was one of the most selfish and egotistical performances I can remember. With a ridiculously shot from distance rather than slip in someone else when we had 2 or 3 on 1 counter attack.

With the money we have put into the club with season tickets etc and the cup win I'd be looking at players of a higher, and certainly more consistent, level than Malonga. Reckon he will end up having had a bit of a nomadic career.

Already nomadic career. Was ok some gid stuff at times and a great song. Wish him the best no good move for him to come back i think. Got a cult status. Should leave as is

jacomo
08-01-2017, 11:52 PM

No rose tinted glasses. I just recognise a footballer when I see one. And they all have off days.

houstonhibbee
09-01-2017, 12:05 AM
No rose tinted glasses. I just recognise a footballer when I see one. And they all have off days.
i think he would be a great addition to the squad, not necessarily playing 90minutes every game.....

Andy74
09-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Nah, this has just grown as accepted fact now that he was inconsistent. That's pretty much nonsense. Maybe some games he did things that were of a much higher standard but when he didn't he was still comfortably one of the better players we have had at his club for years.

Shooting once when he could have played someone in? Wow, Like Cummings doesn't do that 2 or 3 times a game?!

The Modfather
09-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Nah, this has just grown as accepted fact now that he was inconsistent. That's pretty much nonsense. Maybe some games he did things that were of a much higher standard but when he didn't he was still comfortably one of the better players we have had at his club for years.

Shooting once when he could have played someone in? Wow, Like Cummings doesn't do that 2 or 3 times a game?!

I was only giving my opinion. I saw him have some outstanding games, I also saw him have games where he was as good as a man down.

There never seems to be any debate when it comes to Malonga, he is either too good for the rest of the team or a lazy waste of a jersey. I would have him somewhere in between those opinions as saw both types of performances.

bigwheel
09-01-2017, 12:53 PM
I was only giving my opinion. I saw him have some outstanding games, I also saw him have games where he was as good as a man down.

There never seems to be any debate when it comes to Malonga, he is either too good for the rest of the team or a lazy waste of a jersey. I would have him somewhere in between those opinions as saw both types of performances.

I'm with you ...was a big fan of Dom...and at his best was simply unplayable..he had a technique level that few in our team could match ...he did though have a few stinkers ...and didn't always force himself into the first 11.. loved his ability levels though - sort of things you are happy to pay admission to see

Wether it was style, attitude or application, he was someone who was sometimes hot, and sometimes not. Even when not shining though he was always capable of doing something magic or helping the team
With his movement and passing . So better than some give him credit for

Top player on his day , inconsistent though - and perhaps why he has struggled to secure top team regular football in most places he has played

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2017, 01:36 PM

There never seems to be any debate when it comes to Malonga, he is either too good for the rest of the team or a lazy waste of a jersey. I would have him somewhere in between those opinions as saw both types of performances.You don't happen to remember them do you? Dom was pretty brilliant most of the time.

NZ Green
09-01-2017, 02:24 PM
He was one of those players where if he had the ball, I had could relax because I knew he wasn't going to lose it. He also didn't care about The Rangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeauSzvGUpU

heretoday
09-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Malonga! Come back to Easter Road!

The Modfather
09-01-2017, 04:54 PM
He was one of those players where if he had the ball, I had could relax because I knew he wasn't going to lose it. He also didn't care about The Rangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeauSzvGUpU

Never seen that video before, brilliant! 😂

sleeping giant
09-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Happy Birthday King Dom.
Great player

Centre Hawf
09-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Bring him home.

Dom'sFirstTouch
09-01-2017, 06:38 PM
I always thought people underestimated how much Malonga brought to the side with his general play; his movement, touch and passing were all consistently excellent. Then on top of that you sometimes got the absolutely stunning moments. I'd take him back over Holt or Graham all day long.

YehButNoBut
14-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Looks like Dom would welcome a return to Scotland

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/431536/dominique-malonga-admits-he-left-hibs-with-a-heavy-heart-and-would-welcome-a-return-to-Scotland/

Dominique Malonga admits he left Hibs with a heavy heart and would welcome a return to Scotland

The striker has fallen out of favour at Serie B side Pro Vercelli and is desperate for a fresh start

A year ago the fans’ favourite put family before football when he asked a reluctant Alan Stubbs to tear up his contract six months early.

The move to Serie B side Pro Vercelli may have cost him his Scottish Cup winner’s medal, but it made life easier for his Italian wife.
But having fallen out of favour with The Lions he is desperate for a fresh start – and would welcome a return to Scotland.
With 22 goals from 54 appearances he remains a popular figure at Easter Road (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14943/hibernian/), where supporters still sing Malonga’s name from time to time.
The feeling is mutual.
He told SunSport: “It has been very difficult not to play regular football.
“There’s no problem with my current club. They want me to ‘live’ again and, for me, that means scoring goals and enjoying my game again.
“The best situation for me is to leave and do what I want to do.
“I’ve worked hard to stay in good shape and I have some clubs in Italy who want me but I’m waiting for the right offer. I would really like to come back to the UK.
“I was honesty in admitting I left Hibs for personal reasons, which was the right thing to do at the time.
“If I’d gone with my heart I would have stayed there. No doubt about it.
“But my head said I had to go to Italy for my family and that was still the right thing to do at the time. Nobody is perfect and I have learned from it all.
“It’s wonderful to hear that the supporters still sing my name sometimes. It is a catchy song!
“I’m glad I was able to give them some good moments and I would like to see them again. Hopefully I can back to Easter Road this season to catch up with everyone.
“It was one of the best times of my career. I really felt appreciated there.”
The 28-year-old still keeps a keen eye on events in Leith and is delighted fellow front-man Jason Cummings (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/426203/neil-lennon-insists-hibs-star-jason-cummings-is-going-nowhere-during-the-january-transfer-window/) is back on the goal trail after reclaiming his place in the first-team.
Of anyone Cummings has played alongside, Malonga was arguably his best foil.
The Congo international added: “I felt like I had a good relationship with Jason and we had a great understanding on the pitch.
“I talked to him a lot. I’m glad he’s back in the team and scoring goals.
“The one problem we had was that he talked so quickly and with THAT accent of his. I’m lucky if I understood half of the things he was saying.
“I think my English is better than his!”
Malonga’s last goal for Hibs came in the 2-0 away win at Raith Rovers that got their Scottish Cup campaign up and running.
The rest is history and it’s a source of eternal pride for the former Monaco youth.
He said: “It was wonderful when Hibs won the Scottish Cup, for the club and the city of Edinburgh.
“My last goal came against Raith Rovers (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/team/14946/raith-rovers/), so it feels like a significant one, knowing that I played a small part in helping them get there.
“When people watch the Scottish Cup DVD over and over again, they will see that goal and it makes me smile.
“It will always be part of the story and that is an honour for me.”
Hibs head for Dumbarton on Saturday looking to strengthen their grip on top spot – with the inability to achieve promotion a nagging regret for Malonga.
The Rock was a happy hunting ground and the setting for his first ever hat-trick, in the 6-3 rout of the Sons back in November 2014.
He recalled: “That day was so special. Everything just seemed to click for me.
“The funny thing is I remember looking back and feeling so tired, because I had just come back from my first ever senior international call-up with Congo.
“I’d flown for what felt like days and I was completely wiped out.
“On the Friday it felt like I had slept for the entire day. I don’t even remember eating, but I told the manager I was okay to play.
“The next day I woke up and – though I still can’t explain it – I felt so good and full of energy. I was confident, happy and just played my game.
“It was 6-3 but the score could have been anything. We were 3-0 up but Dumbarton came right back into it.
“The game was a strange one because we had joy mixed in with frustration.
“It was my first hat-trick and it was special being able to take the ball home, which everyone had signed, and give it to my son.
“I’ll be telling him the story of that game when he’s older.”

mentalhibee
14-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Bring him back! Class player.🇳🇬

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Interesting he mentions his heart being at Hibs and feeling appreciated. Some folk would have had you believe he was being hounded out because a few loudmouths didn't like him.

I liked Dom as a player and would welcome him back. He was one of those players who there was no debate ever allowed about though. He was either absolutely brilliant or lazy and disinterested. Rational arguments that much like any player he had strengths and weaknesses were ignored in favour of hyperbole.

truehibernian
14-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Interesting he mentions his heart being at Hibs and feeling appreciated. Some folk would have had you believe he was being hounded out because a few loudmouths didn't like him.

I liked Dom as a player and would welcome him back. He was one of those players who there was no debate ever allowed about though. He was either absolutely brilliant or lazy and disinterested. Rational arguments that much like any player he had strengths and weaknesses were ignored in favour of hyperbole.

It was his languid style that led people to lazily come to the 'not trying' opinion. Dom is a great player.

Chris Waddle suffered from the same criticism - and he oozed class.

neil7908
14-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Would be delighted to have him back. A much better option than Holt or Graham. He wasn't great in the air but fantastic at holding the ball up and bringing others into play

Northernhibee
14-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Top bloke. Would love to see him back as he's a very stylish player.

Andy74
14-01-2017, 03:12 PM

A bit dramatic.

Pretty Boy
14-01-2017, 03:14 PM
A bit dramatic.

Not really.

File in the same category as Lewis Stevenson and Mark Oxley. People were so polarised and entrenched in their opinions that it was a waste of time trying to have a discussion. That extends beyond the confines of hibs.net as well.

CapitalGreen
14-01-2017, 03:20 PM

"no debate ever allowed"

Talk about hyperbole

R'Albin
14-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Not really.

File in the same category as Lewis Stevenson and Mark Oxley. People were so polarised and entrenched in their opinions that it was a waste of time trying to have a discussion. That extends beyond the confines of hibs.net as well.

:agree:

Stokesy's on fire
15-01-2017, 10:01 AM
He's more than welcome to come back in my opinion. Malonga was quality.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Malonga was like a re-run of Vaz Te. He wanted to leave no matter what the club did but that didn't fit with picture some folk wanted to paint. If he came back then his playing style would be the same and the old accusations would fly. He was worth all the noise though. Think that JC wouldn't mind seeing him back either.