PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs interview

Peevemor
08-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Not too chuffed with the pitch invasion after the final ...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-former-boss-alan-stubbs-looks-back-and-forward-1-4334120

oneone73
08-01-2017, 08:41 AM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-former-boss-alan-stubbs-looks-back-and-forward-1-4334120

Graeme McPherson's interview in The Herald dwells on the parade. All down to what the writer chooses to highlight. Sorry, can't do links on the phone.

calumhibee1
08-01-2017, 08:43 AM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15009186.Alan_Stubbs_reflects_on_the_real_legacy_o f_Hibs__39__Scottish_Cup_success/

oneone73
08-01-2017, 08:47 AM
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15009186.Alan_Stubbs_reflects_on_the_real_legacy_o f_Hibs__39__Scottish_Cup_success/

Thanks Calum

Big_Franck
08-01-2017, 08:47 AM

Personally I couldn't care less if the players were able to parade the trophy around the pitch at hampden. The pitch is that far away from most of the fans they'd still have been miles away from us anyway.

Hope Stubbs gets himself back in the game soon.

hibsdaft
08-01-2017, 08:57 AM

he's just saying what he has to say isn't he? I don't read any strong personal feelings into what he's said. as a professional in the game he can't be seen to condone what happened.

"Everyone would say that shouldn’t have happened but anyone with a bit of romance for the cup and the history of that club could understand, in the right way, why it happened."

seems fair to me.

Frazerbob
08-01-2017, 09:10 AM
He pretty much sums up my feelings on the pitch invasion.....I wish it hadn't happened and I'd love to have a team photo on the pitch with the cup on my wall but in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care. In 20 years time, the photos of the pitch full of green & white clad fans will be far more evocative & iconic images.

neil7908
08-01-2017, 09:34 AM
He pretty much sums up my feelings on the pitch invasion.....I wish it hadn't happened and I'd love to have a team photo on the pitch with the cup on my wall but in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care. In 20 years time, the photos of the pitch full of green & white clad fans will be far more evocative & iconic images.

My thoughts exactly. Not my ideal ending to my greatest footballing moment but didn't even come close to ruining it.

Colr
08-01-2017, 09:45 AM
Personally I couldn't care less if the players were able to parade the trophy around the pitch at hampden. The pitch is that far away from most of the fans they'd still have been miles away from us anyway.

Hope Stubbs gets himself back in the game soon.

Wasn't the fans that stopped them parading the trophies it was the blazers!!

Sammy7nil
08-01-2017, 10:02 AM

Deary dear, any chance to have a dig they had no choice after the pitch invasion and I really think it may have been a Police decison.

BoomtownHibees
08-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Deary dear, any chance to have a dig they had no choice after the pitch invasion and I really think it may have been a Police decison.

They did have a choice though. With the amount of police there would have prevented any further invasions

Craig_HFC
08-01-2017, 10:30 AM
If the pitch invasion didn't happen then the Cup Final would not still be in the news anywhere near as much as it still is. I'm glad it happened. Most memorable final ever.

It was just exuberance, anyway.

:cb

jacomo
08-01-2017, 10:34 AM

New Year and all that, so let's resolve to stop selectively quoting from interviews in order to suit an agenda.

My impression is that Stubbs' feelings about that weekend are overwhelmingly positive ones.

Peevemor
08-01-2017, 10:38 AM
New Year and all that, so let's resolve to stop selectively quoting from interviews in order to suit an agenda.

My impression is that Stubbs' feelings about that weekend are overwhelmingly positive ones.
I didn't selectively quote from anything. Even if the the Scotsman have decided to print only certain parts of what was said, there are direct quotes basically saying that he understands why there was an invasion but he regrets that it happened.

WestStandMoaner
08-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Nonsense it was done for no other reason than spite, the blazers called for this or should I say Sevco, just look at the pictures of Doncaster speaking to Sevco officials when the hibs fans are on the pitch. If it was Celtic fans on the pitch do you really think they would have stopped the players coming out. No chance

Sammy7nil
08-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Nonsense it was done for no other reason than spite, the blazers called for this or should I say Sevco, just look at the pictures of Doncaster speaking to Sevco officials when the hibs fans are on the pitch. If it was Celtic fans on the pitch do you really think they would have stopped the players coming out. No chance

As soon as the invasion took place the chances of the team parading the cup on the pitch were ZERO if anyone can't aknowledge that they really are blinkered. There was not a hope in hell the Police, Stewards or "Blazers" would take the risk. Imagine the outcry had only a few fans managed to get back on the pitch. Hibs fans can only blame themselves. As has been said before it did not spoil it for me but it was disappointing.We really need take responsibility and stop blaming others.

Hibby70
08-01-2017, 11:11 AM
The sight of all those fans running on after waiting all their lives will always vastly outweigh any wee walk round the pitch with the cup for me.

The real parade happened the next day.

greenlex
08-01-2017, 11:21 AM
The sight of all those fans running on after waiting all their lives will always vastly outweigh any wee walk round the pitch with the cup for me.

The real parade happened the next day.

This. The pictures of the invasion are iconic and will last long after any pics of the players on the pitch after a presentation. The only regret is any knock on financially for damage and any budgeting issues at the beginning of the season having to perhaps keep some cash aside for any possible fine.

Wilson
08-01-2017, 11:25 AM
If the pitch invasion didn't happen then the Cup Final would not still be in the news anywhere near as much as it still is. I'm glad it happened. Most memorable final ever.

It was just exuberance, anyway.

:cb

The Persevered tour will have seen the Scottish Cup win in the news plenty. All of the news positive. There are many things said of the pitch invasion but I can't agree with the above. After 114 years that cup win would have been heard round the world regardless.

RIP
08-01-2017, 11:27 AM
I think responsibility needs to lie with those intent on causing trouble. Previous pitch invasions have never deterred trophy presentations.

However after Rangers thugs bent on spoiling the celebrations came on to attack our fans the police took the decision to put horses and extra police on to the park.

I don't blame the police. I blame the Rangers thugs for deliberately spoiling part of our celebrations.

Hibby Bairn
08-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Exactly. There was absolutely no reason why the players couldn't have come out into the pitch with the cup.

Super_JMcGinn
08-01-2017, 11:30 AM
As soon as the invasion took place the chances of the team parading the cup on the pitch were ZERO if anyone can't aknowledge that they really are blinkered. There was not a hope in hell the Police, Stewards or "Blazers" would take the risk. Imagine the outcry had only a few fans managed to get back on the pitch. Hibs fans can only blame themselves. As has been said before it did not spoil it for me but it was disappointing.We really need take responsibility and stop blaming others.

:top marks

ancient hibee
08-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Spot on.I understand the initial running on.However I blame the ones afterwards who decided to wander on to take selfies as if they were having a stroll in the park and then wouldn't get off.The vast majority didn't go on and wanted the pitch cleared.

Eyrie
08-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Given the number of police and stewards in front of our fans when the trophy was presented there was no chance of anyone getting on the pitch even if they'd wanted to.

Sammy7nil
08-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Given the number of police and stewards in front of our fans when the trophy was presented there was no chance of anyone getting on the pitch even if they'd wanted to.

Unfortunately that is not the point.

hibee_nation
08-01-2017, 12:31 PM
The sight of seeing the players on the pitch with the cup wearing funny hats would have been nice. The images of the sheer wave of fans uncontrolable emotions and to be a part of it, now that made the day the best of my life.

Robinho08
08-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Boom. Totally agree. Plus it didn't spoil the day for me.

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Once everyone had gone back to their seats and the police horses were on the pitch, there was never any danger of another invasion.

The players could have come onto the pitch without any problem.

Boyle89
08-01-2017, 01:13 PM
Just ask Cummings or lewy how they felt about the pitch invasion. I'm pretty sure they enjoyed it given that they were both still on the pitch as the fans were going off😂.

Onion
08-01-2017, 01:33 PM
They did have a choice though. With the amount of police there would have prevented any further invasions

They had no choice without blowing a hole in their considered decision :cb to allow Hibs fans onto the pitch at FT. This was done deliberately (apparently) by the 3 policemen left in the stadium to prevent self harm, crush injuries and fatalities in the stands.

Fact they had 10 times as many police, 20 mins after FT, doesn't change that.

Eyrie
08-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Unfortunately that is not the point.

There was no risk of any Hibs fans getting back on the pitch. The decision to ban the players from taking the trophy on the pitch was taken purely because the authorities didn't want it to happen and not for any alleged safety reasons.

Ardenttwo
08-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Have ro agree with him. A bunch of idiots spoiled a great occasion Acting like a bunch of thugs

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Have ro agree with him. A bunch of idiots spoiled a great occasion Acting like a bunch of thugs

No occasion was spoilt, and if you think the occasion wasn't spoilt then you either need your head checked, or you support one of the other sides in Scotland.

jacomo
08-01-2017, 11:00 PM
I didn't selectively quote from anything. Even if the the Scotsman have decided to print only certain parts of what was said, there are direct quotes basically saying that he understands why there was an invasion but he regrets that it happened.

Yes, which is somewhat different from the impression you gave in your 1st post.

houstonhibbee
08-01-2017, 11:03 PM
No occasion was spoilt, and if you think the occasion wasn't spoilt then you either need your head checked, or you support one of the other sides in Scotland.
or he has a different view than you

jacomo
08-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Spot on.I understand the initial running on.However I blame the ones afterwards who decided to wander on to take selfies as if they were having a stroll in the park and then wouldn't get off.The vast majority didn't go on and wanted the pitch cleared.

But selfies and all that are just part of modern life, eh?

I saw a large crowd which was a bit tardy getting off the pitch but hardly presenting any challenge to the polis.

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 11:06 PM

Nah, your right. The pitch invasion was that bad it totally overshadowed the whole day for me. Hibs should probably hand the trophy back now in disgust.

Peevemor
08-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Yes, which is somewhat different from the impression you gave in your 1st post.
Eh ? I said he was "not too chuffed". Read the interview, I don't know what other impression you can get.

Dunbar Hibee
08-01-2017, 11:50 PM
The Hibs players I've spoken to loved the pitch invasion. Just saying like.

Ardenttwo
09-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Typical of some on here If you give a different opinion that they gave you are either told to support another team of you already do. The main point I was making was that the pitch invasion only gave more ammunition to people who hate us and gave them something to take the gloss of our victory

I and by the way I have no intention of supporting any other team to please some idiot on here. I have been supporting Hibernian for over 50 years and a ST holder for most of that time And furthermore I have to travel over 500 miles round trip to see my team and on many occasions have to stay overnight in a hotel for Sunday KO,s or like Friday night

HibernianJK
09-01-2017, 03:30 PM
I was on the pitch and I'd do it 100 times over if I could. Nothing will beat that feeling of being on the Hampden pitch with the celebrating Hibs fans.

Sammy7nil
09-01-2017, 04:42 PM
I was on the pitch and I'd do it 100 times over if I could. Nothing will beat that feeling of being on the Hampden pitch with the celebrating Hibs fans.

Good for you :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
09-01-2017, 04:44 PM
The Hibs players I've spoken to loved the pitch invasion. Just saying like.

I am sure they did, we will never know if they would also have enjoyed parading the cup at Hampden.

beensaidbefore
09-01-2017, 04:48 PM

I wasn't, but wish I was. 😂

hibbysam
09-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Typical of some on here If you give a different opinion that they gave you are either told to support another team of you already do. The main point I was making was that the pitch invasion only gave more ammunition to people who hate us and gave them something to take the gloss of our victory

I and by the way I have no intention of supporting any other team to please some idiot on here. I have been supporting Hibernian for over 50 years and a ST holder for most of that time And furthermore I have to travel over 500 miles round trip to see my team and on many occasions have to stay overnight in a hotel for Sunday KO,s or like Friday night

If Hibernian winning the Scottish cup was spoilt for you because some Hibs fans ran on the pitch then I would be seriously worried, yes. I couldn't give two hoots what other fans think of us, and it certainly didn't spoilt my day whether they talk badly of us or not.

Ps personal insults ain't big or clever either.

HibernianJK
09-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Good for you :rolleyes:

Understatement of the century.

blackpoolhibs
09-01-2017, 05:49 PM
I wasn't, but wish I was. 😂

Me too, it's my one regret that day and since.

SaulGoodman
09-01-2017, 05:51 PM
The pitch invasion was fine.

Fannies ripping up the pitch and destroying the goalposts was not.

jacomo
09-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Eh ? I said he was "not too chuffed". Read the interview, I don't know what other impression you can get.

I've read it twice, and every negative comment is balanced with a positive one. Stubbs says what he needs to say but his memories are hardly tarnished by the pitch invasion. Your OP implies otherwise.

Since90+2
09-01-2017, 06:44 PM
This debate has been done to the death about half a dozen times.

Can we not accept there are opposing views on it and just move on? At the end of the day its the greatest day in the clubs history and it does nothing to have fans continually arguing over it and create any kind of resentment.

northstandhibby
09-01-2017, 07:01 PM
To me it was very probably the best celebration by fans at a cup final win I've ever seen.

I vividly remember the huns coming onto the pitch in their hundreds at ER after they won the league with McCleish, helicopter sunday I believe it was so-called in 2004/5 season. I speculate if any hi bees had entered the pitch and attacked hun fans that the narrative run by the press would have been entirely contrasting to the narrative run by them on our special day of 21st May 2016. I'm pretty certain they would have run headlines of 'Celebratory Rangers Fans Attacked by Hooligan Hibs Fans' or something along those lines.

Remember too the msm headlines and pictures of 1977 when the Tartan Army wrecked the Goalposts and Turf at Wembley, the narrative was of 'joyous scenes'.

The vast majority of Hibernian supporters who similarly entered the pitch that glorious day of 21st May 2016 were similarly joyous and overcome with jubilation and celebration in mind.

If the thuggish huns had not come onto the pitch with fighting on their mind there would never have been any trouble whatsoever.

Fantastic scenes and a day most of us will never forget. So always look past the biased huns in the press who turned their guns on us because their idols the huns had been beaten fair and square by the better footballing team.

And I wasn't on the pitch but enjoyed watching my fellow supporters have a fine time on the pitch celebrating.

Glory Glory

Scouse Hibee
09-01-2017, 07:06 PM
To me it was very probably the best celebration by fans at a cup final win I've ever seen.

I vividly remember the huns coming onto the pitch in their hundreds at ER after they won the league with McCleish, helicopter sunday I believe it was so-called in 2004/5 season. I speculate if any hi bees had entered the pitch and attacked hun fans that the narrative run by the press would have been entirely contrasting to the narrative run by them on our special day of 21st May 2016. I'm pretty certain they would have run headlines of 'Celebratory Rangers Fans Attacked by Hooligan Hibs Fans' or something along those lines.

Remember too the msm headlines and pictures of 1977 when the Tartan Army wrecked the Goalposts and Turf at Wembley, the narrative was of 'joyous scenes'.

The vast majority of Hibernian supporters who similarly entered the pitch that glorious day of 21st May 2016 were similarly joyous and overcome with jubilation and celebration in mind.

If the thuggish huns had not come onto the pitch with fighting on their mind there would never have been any trouble whatsoever.

Fantastic scenes and a day most of us will never forget. So always look past the biased huns in the press who turned their guns on us because their idols the huns had been beaten fair and square by the better footballing team.

And I wasn't on the pitch but enjoyed watching my fellow supporters have a fine time on the pitch celebrating.

Glory Glory

My sentiments exactly.

jacomo
09-01-2017, 07:30 PM
This debate has been done to the death about half a dozen times.

Can we not accept there are opposing views on it and just move on? At the end of the day its the greatest day in the clubs history and it does nothing to have fans continually arguing over it and create any kind of resentment.

:agree: