PDA

View Full Version : opposition view

HappyAsHellas
08-01-2017, 01:39 AM
Had a little look to see what Dundee Utd fans were saying about the game. The main grumble seemed to centre about a lack of pace and width. Sound familiar?

Ozyhibby
08-01-2017, 01:51 AM
Had a little look to see what Dundee Utd fans were saying about the game. The main grumble seemed to centre about a lack of pace and width. Sound familiar?

Very. They are in the same position we have been since we went down. Able to dominate possession in the majority of games they play therefore don't lose a lot of goals and can squeeze a win most weeks. Problem is they can't score enough goals so sometimes their superiority does not convert into points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monktonharp
08-01-2017, 02:15 AM
Very. They are in the same position we have been since we went down. Able to dominate possession in the majority of games they play therefore don't lose a lot of goals and can squeeze a win most weeks. Problem is they can't score enough goals so sometimes their superiority does not convert into points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalktheir possesion did not really show, last night did it? they got what they deserved. we outplayed them all over the park and I cant see where you are coming from. they beat us with a penalty last time out but if we had converted ours, it would not have happened. we skelped them in a cup game a couple of years back, and their deficiencies were evident then. over the last few years, similar to ours they have skirted with relegation. they sold 3 of their best to Celtic and the rest is history. I don't care what happens to them tis season and hope they get stuck in this league. the year that they beat us at ER, to avoid relegation, thereby sending us down will stick in my mind . they also got lucky putting us out in a S c Semi , a few years ago which also irkes me. lovely to get past them last year, in the cup when they could quite easily have got the breaks. well done Conrad and thanks for the memories!:not worth

scoopyboy
08-01-2017, 08:28 AM
their possesion did not really show, last night did it? they got what they deserved. we outplayed them all over the park and I cant see where you are coming from. they beat us with a penalty last time out but if we had converted ours, it would not have happened. we skelped them in a cup game a couple of years back, and their deficiencies were evident then. over the last few years, similar to ours they have skirted with relegation. they sold 3 of their best to Celtic and the rest is history. I don't care what happens to them tis season and hope they get stuck in this league. the year that they beat us at ER, to avoid relegation, thereby sending us down will stick in my mind . they also got lucky putting us out in a S c Semi , a few years ago which also irkes me. lovely to get past them last year, in the cup when they could quite easily have got the breaks. well done Conrad and thanks for the memories!:not worth

I wouldn't mind them getting promoted via the play offs.

Quite like going to Tannadice and they carry a decent support, outwith the top four they probably are easily the next biggest support to put money in our pot.

Not a fan of plastic pitches so would be quite happy to see Hamilton relegated, to me they bring nothing to the top league, stands on two sides and a terrible support.

Since90+2
08-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Quite like going to Tannadice and they carry a decent support, outwith the top four they probably are easily the next biggest support to put money in our pot.

Not a fan of plastic pitches so would be quite happy to see Hamilton relegated, to me they bring nothing to the top league, stands on two sides and a terrible support.

Would agree with this. Prefer a trip to Tannadice to a Hamilton or Dingwall.

I don't think they will come up via the playoffs though.

Falkirk will likely be in there and they are always hard to beat over 2 games plus the system favours the Premiership team should Utd manage to make it that far.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-01-2017, 08:41 AM
From a United mate...

Hats off to Hibs, they had Utd's number from the off. The killed us with width and pace. That was a team that had lost 3 goals in the previous 10 games ... It could have been 5 at ht.

Bristolhibby
08-01-2017, 09:14 AM

+payback for relegating us in the first place.

Nonsense team with no fans.

J

lucky
08-01-2017, 09:21 AM
Hamilton have no fans and a crap stadium but are a very well run club who give young players a chance. They are in the top league on merit. Hibs, United & Falkirk are in the second tier because of mismanagement of the pitch and not good enough on it

scoopyboy
08-01-2017, 09:26 AM
Hamilton have no fans and a crap stadium but are a very well run club who give young players a chance. They are in the top league on merit. Hibs, United & Falkirk are in the second tier because of mismanagement of the pitch and not good enough on it

Not disputing they are there on merit but I just think they are a poor advert for Scottish football when home games are on the TV.

lucky
08-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Not disputing they are there on merit but I just think they are a poor advert for Scottish football when home games are on the TV.

Don't disagree about being a poor advert for Scottish football on tv. But the other side of the coin is how a club our size is in a league below them with 3 or 4 times their budget if not more

Bristolhibby
08-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Don't disagree about being a poor advert for Scottish football on tv. But the other side of the coin is how a club our size is in a league below them with 3 or 4 times their budget if not more

Pretty sure if the zombies and the gunts hadn't been crossing paths with us at the same time, we would have been playing Premier football for the last two seasons.

I do realise I have written an "if my auntie had Baws she'd be my uncle", but it answers the previous question.

J

Is It On....
08-01-2017, 10:44 AM

Sad but true. The only reason teams such as Hibs and Dundee United plus both versions of the Zombies are ever not in the top league is because of poor management.

McD
08-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Sad but true. The only reason teams such as Hibs and Dundee United plus both versions of the Zombies are ever not in the top league is because of poor management.

Definitely true. I also think there's an element to be considered as well, that we and Dundee Utd's fans expect our clubs to push for success in terms of league places, cup runs/wins, and Europe. The ambition for that means risks are taken on players, managers etc. I think the likes of Hamilton etc are content to simply survive in the premier league, and would happily take 10th each season. St Johnstone don't even have a youth setup, as far as I know.

thats said, Ross county, st Johnstone etc have won cups in the last while.

Smartie
08-01-2017, 11:50 AM
They've done well to improve to the level they have in such a short time.

It's funny how much they seem to be wanting to follow in our footsteps 2 years later.

McKinnon did brilliantly to get them to where he did, but you can't do it all in one transfer window. He now needs to find that pace and width and if he does, he'll have a very decent side.

I think the United fans had their hopes raised a few weeks ago when they overtook us and went top, but realistically our bigger budget and the extra time we've had to build our squad and prepare for this task SHOULD see us as the stronger side.

If they stick with their side and their good, young manager then I'm sure they'll get there.

And I'd much rather have them in the Premier League with us than some of the smaller clubs.

SlickShoes
08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
I'd like to see Motherwell going down, horrible place.

northstandhibby
08-01-2017, 11:52 AM

I'd like to see Motherwell get relegated as a personal preference. Just because it would really annoy and upset Tam Cowan.

Glory Glory

Dashing Bob S
08-01-2017, 12:29 PM
United could have a nervy home game against QOS, following two bad defeats. We really have to carry on against Dumbarton where we left off against them, so we can profit further if they drop points again.

Wilson
08-01-2017, 12:34 PM

My first game was against Motherwell. A home win. It would also be nice to think that as a legacy of LD's time there they would be in a good place. There are a few teams I'd see go before Motherwell.

RIP
08-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Definitely true. I also think there's an element to be considered as well, that we and Dundee Utd's fans expect our clubs to push for success in terms of league places, cup runs/wins, and Europe. The ambition for that means risks are taken on players, managers etc. I think the likes of Hamilton etc are content to simply survive in the premier league, and would happily take 10th each season. St Johnstone don't even have a youth setup, as far as I know.

thats said, Ross county, st Johnstone etc have won cups in the last while.

St Johnstone have an excellent community feeder set up, football savvy chairman, great manager and strong coaching base.

We have had a diddy chairman, constantly changing managerial team and a training ground in a different county.

That's why over the last 5 years they have punched above their weight while we have underachieved.

Diclonius
08-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Regularly finished in the top 3 and made cup finals/semi finals/Europe only a couple years ago, yet their stadium was practically empty every week due to the locals preferring Parkhead or Ibrox. Absolutely - success is wasted on them.

Is It On....
08-01-2017, 01:10 PM
St Johnstone have an excellent community feeder set up, football savvy chairman, great manager and strong coaching base.

We have had a diddy chairman, constantly changing managerial team and a training ground in a different county.

That's why over the last 5 years they have punched above their weight while we have underachieved.

I would argue that Hibs have sadly underperformed, with one or two exceptions such as the Mowbray team, since about 1975. I am hoping that LDs legacy will be a stable set-up with clearly defined and consistent "goals" for coaching, scouting, managerial selection, catering, etc. Just hope that's not too much to ask...

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 02:06 PM

I would gladly never go to Tannadice ever again.

brog
08-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Saint J sold their ground & moved out of town to a stadium with little atmosphere & tiny crowds. When we proposed a similar move there was, understandably, strong opposition. I wouldn't swap our current situation for that of the Saints.

scoopyboy
08-01-2017, 02:32 PM
I would gladly never go to Tannadice ever again.

Are you a tall chap by any chance?

Legroom in the stands are terrible.

Is It On....
08-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Not as bad as The Wheatfield Stand at the PBS..that is a truly terrible experience, as well as extremely dangerous.

lucky
08-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Are you really saying that East Mains being in East Lothian contributed to our relegation? The rest of your post is agreeable but location of the HTC has nothing to do with the turmoil we've been through

NAE NOOKIE
08-01-2017, 03:05 PM

What the hell does that matter. Loads of huge clubs have training centres miles out of town and the players never see the stadium until matchday. If I recall correctly before East Mains was built the players had to train on a different public park every day, with the associated risk of dug ***** and broken glass, and had no access to indoor facilities.

Millions of folk have a hell of a lot more than a 25 minute drive to work in the morning and I bet most of them don't start work at 10am or 11am and head home again about 2pm or 3pm.

Moulin Yarns
08-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Saint J sold their ground & moved out of town to a stadium with little atmosphere & tiny crowds. When we proposed a similar move there was, understandably, strong opposition. I wouldn't swap our current situation for that of the Saints.

There's nothing out of town about McDairmid Park. Well inside the city boundary.

Ozyhibby
08-01-2017, 03:16 PM
Not as bad as The Wheatfield Stand at the PBS..that is a truly terrible experience, as well as extremely dangerous.

Bloody treacherous.[emoji23]
https://youtu.be/d0BKqjy3uZI

Canon Hannan
08-01-2017, 03:32 PM

I wish Hibs were run like St johnstone. They have a great chairman who has a settled ship. Their stadium is good and their youth set up is just fine. We could learn a lot from their set up. Perth has 40,000 inhabitants with 3000 fans. Edinburgh and the surrounding area is 15 times bigger and we get 15,000. Saints are a great club who pick off Hibs and Hearts youth. Plus they have the best coach in Scotland at youth level...ex Hibs after we treated him badly! But, LD is improving our club at last.

Keith_M
08-01-2017, 05:21 PM

But they moved from a stadium with a crap atmosphere and tiny crowds.

The new stadium is so much better and their crowds were a lot higher for a few years.

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 09:51 PM
I wish Hibs were run like St johnstone. They have a great chairman who has a settled ship. Their stadium is good and their youth set up is just fine. We could learn a lot from their set up. Perth has 40,000 inhabitants with 3000 fans. Edinburgh and the surrounding area is 15 times bigger and we get 15,000. Saints are a great club who pick off Hibs and Hearts youth. Plus they have the best coach in Scotland at youth level...ex Hibs after we treated him badly! But, LD is improving our club at last.

There stadium is anything but good, give me Easter Road over any other stadium in Scotland for our fan base. Not sure what the population of Perth and Edinburgh has to do with anything but again give me 15k over 3k any week. I'll also worry about our youth set up when we are back up, and not a second before it. All of our time and resource should go into getting us back there, and then building the foundations of the club back up again, such as youth development. For the minute I'll be content with a working scouting network and a winning team. Although even with very minimal expense going into our youth set up, we seem to be churning out not too bad results in the development league.

I'd also rather have LD than any other running our club also.

West lower
08-01-2017, 10:06 PM
What the hell does that matter. Loads of huge clubs have training centres miles out of town and the players never see the stadium until matchday. If I recall correctly before East Mains was built the players had to train on a different public park every day, with the associated risk of dug ***** and broken glass, and had no access to indoor facilities.

Millions of folk have a hell of a lot more than a 25 minute drive to work in the morning and I bet most of them don't start work at 10am or 11am and head home again about 2pm or 3pm.

Agreed. You would think East Mains is on the moon. It's a fantastic facility that if built in town would have cost a lot more than we paid for East Mains. Carrington training ground is about 12 miles from Old Trafford. Don't think I have ever heard them moaning.

Jones28
08-01-2017, 10:13 PM
Regularly finished in the top 3 and made cup finals/semi finals/Europe only a couple years ago, yet their stadium was practically empty every week due to the locals preferring Parkhead or Ibrox. Absolutely - success is wasted on them.

I think the opposite. A team who succeeded in doing what we (a supposedly big team) failed do and take advantage of Rangers being out the league and finishing second a couple of times with poor crowds and competition from those two to attract support.

Sir David Gray
08-01-2017, 10:13 PM

No I'm in a wheelchair.

Disabled access into Tannadice is disgraceful.

Alex Trager
09-01-2017, 01:07 PM

For me you've got to give them credit for their support.
They could easily head further west but chose not to

stantonhibby
09-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Not too convinced about their super youth set up.........I think they plough most of their money into the first team. Off the top of my head can't think of the last decent youth player to progress from St J ?

jacomo
09-01-2017, 01:41 PM
My first game was against Motherwell. A home win. It would also be nice to think that as a legacy of LD's time there they would be in a good place. There are a few teams I'd see go before Motherwell.

I've nothing against Motherwell FC. The town is utterly dominated by OF sofa fans, so anyone who refuses that option and goes out to support the local team deserves some credit.

Leeann seemed to do good work there. But she must have looked at the crowds on Friday night and thought 'oh, this is what a club engaged with its community looks like'.

SlickShoes
09-01-2017, 03:04 PM
Not too convinced about their super youth set up.........I think they plough most of their money into the first team. Off the top of my head can't think of the last decent youth player to progress from St J ?

Stevie May?

2 of their current first team squad came through their youth system

Argylehibby
09-01-2017, 08:50 PM
United fan at my work was going daft this morning about our emergency loan of Kris Commons. In short we are cheats for getting a player in on loan and then playing one of the players he was brought in to cover. (SJM) I did point on that SJM was only on for a short time and isn't yet recovered fully from injury while the others are still out but he was having none of it. I was told to take the smirk of my face as well which was easier said than done.

He's a decent bloke but he was obviously wound up waiting on me getting in this morning.

hibbysam
09-01-2017, 09:37 PM
United fan at my work was going daft this morning about our emergency loan of Kris Commons. In short we are cheats for getting a player in on loan and then playing one of the players he was brought in to cover. (SJM) I did point on that SJM was only on for a short time and isn't yet recovered fully from injury while the others are still out but he was having none of it. I was told to take the smirk of my face as well which was easier said than done.

He's a decent bloke but he was obviously wound up waiting on me getting in this morning.

Just ask him to read the emergency loan ruling out to you.

ACLeith
09-01-2017, 09:53 PM
The DU fan I know said "we were rubbish, you were good". He did query the emergency loan but from the angle of the rules and thought it was "fair game" that we used the system for our benefit..

He's a good guy who I respect, he just was brought up to support a different team to me.

c31
09-01-2017, 10:00 PM

Ask him why they approached Commons agent and offer terms to come to them, which they did when they heard he was availabe... Which their manager didn't deny...

Argylehibby
09-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Ask him why they approached Commons agent and offer terms to come to them, which they did when they heard he was availabe... Which their manager didn't deny...

That sounds like tomorrow's opening shot to me, good shout!

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-01-2017, 11:55 PM

Ask him if he has any idea at all that an 'emergency loan' doesn't have to have anything to do with an emergency. In fact, Utd could go out next month and sign anyone they like from the premier league for 90 days. Literally anyone. Tell him to get his thinking cap on [emoji1360]

--------
10-01-2017, 12:08 AM

Me too. Every punter going to Fir Park wearing a Motherwell scarf has made a conscious decision to follow their local team when it would be much easier just to go with the flow and follow the Gruesome Twosome on TV like the majority. And that goes for all the 'wee' clubs in the area - including Hamilton Academicals and Airdrieonians.

--------
10-01-2017, 12:13 AM

"Decent bloke"? Maybe he is, but he's behaving like a complete twonk.

Sure he's no a Jambo in disguise? :devil:

Argylehibby
10-01-2017, 08:06 AM
"Decent bloke"? Maybe he is, but he's behaving like a complete twonk.

Sure he's no a Jambo in disguise? :devil:

Can you ever disguise being a Jambo?

Dibben
10-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Can you ever disguise being a Jambo?

Wearing gloves will disguise the extra fingers!! The hard part is them keeping their mouth shut (although that is easiest since May 2016).

😁

Ozyhibby
10-01-2017, 08:58 AM

McGinn only came on when Commons came off, so we stuck to his imaginary rules. [emoji23]