PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh City

inglisavhibs
07-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Think I will take a wee trip down to Meadowbank today and watch Edinburgh City. Some Hibs interest too!

Lancs Harp
07-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Wasnt the best was it? The only real entertainment was provided by Citys under 11 drummer and his mob and Arbroaths crew of about 10 that rose to the challenge.

Really poor game.

Incidently most of those going through the turnstyle seemed to be Hibs and Hearts fans taking advantage of the reduced entrance price for season ticket holders.

linlithgowhibbie
07-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Hope they lose every game and go back to the juniors. Dont want anyone taking fans/income from us

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 10:16 PM
Hope they lose every game and go back to the juniors. Dont want anyone taking fans/income from us

I disagree, I want them to do well. The more teams away from the Glasgow home the better.

Mr White
07-01-2017, 10:18 PM

I would suggest that's as (un)likely to happen with them in the league structure as it was when they were in the lowland league.

chasitup
07-01-2017, 10:18 PM
I think they offered reduced entry to Hibs and Hearts supporters when their team were away from home. Not taking anything from anyone really.

Mikey09
07-01-2017, 10:20 PM

What a nice thing to say... By the way they came from the Senior set up no the juniors :na na:

Waxy
07-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Whats happening with Meadowbank? Where will they go when it gets flattened?

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Whats happening with Meadowbank? Where will they go when it gets flattened?

After a concerted campaign apparently it's now not being flattened any more

linlithgowhibbie
07-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Why should we wish potential rivals well. They use the old Loch Inn as a social club and its open on our match days.

There are Hibs fans using it pre match instead of the Hibs Club or the Behind the Goals thereby taking income from HFC and the supporters club.

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Why should we wish potential rivals well. They use the old Loch Inn as a social club and its open on our match days.

There are Hibs fans using it pre match instead of the Hibs Club or the Behind the Goals thereby taking income from HFC and the supporters club.
Thank **** it's open on match days. I go in after every match and get hms misery to pick me up after the crowds have gone away. It's full of hibs fans and they jab a pool table and a jukebox. What's not to like.

Mr White
07-01-2017, 10:50 PM

There's a difference between wishing them well and not wishing them to drop out of the league system. The Hibs club and btg face competition from all the pubs on easter road. It's up to our club to present a product on the park and in the catering and pre match bars that mean competition are feeding off scraps rather than eating into our profits. Edinburgh City are no threat at all on either front imo.

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 10:51 PM
There's a difference between wishing them well and not wishing them to drop out of the league system. The Hibs club and btg face competition from all the pubs on easter road. It's up to our club to present a product on the park and in the catering and pre match bars that mean competition are feeding off scraps rather than eating into our profits. Edinburgh City are no threat at all on either front imo.

And half the time btg isn't open after the game.

Diclonius
07-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Normally I'd have wished City well but Arbroath were my local team growing up. :aok:

ancient hibee
07-01-2017, 11:02 PM
Two Hibs players in the defence which has one of the lowest goal against stat.in the league.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-01-2017, 12:19 AM
Thank **** it's open on match days. I go in after every match and get hms misery to pick me up after the crowds have gone away. It's full of hibs fans and they jab a pool table and a jukebox. What's not to like.

We are in there matchdays as well. Started using BTG after the Loch Inn closed, but gave up on that when they started serving John Smiths.

City serve a nice pint of Belhaven, decent screens to watch the early game, and you can get a seat.

What's not to like! :greengrin

HappyHanlon
08-01-2017, 12:40 AM

Hahahahahahaha!

BTG is rancid. Stale wishy washy lager and a crap atmosphere.

As for the Hibs Club, blazered goons.

Punters should use the pubs down ER, Leith Walk and surrounding areas. Nothing better pre and post match.

AZhibee
08-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Potential rivals? You bettin' on them to gain promotion x 3?

Itsnoteasy
08-01-2017, 12:58 AM

We weren't playing today.
You can still watch them in the Lowland League if relegated.

jgl07
08-01-2017, 01:56 AM
They have never been a Junior club. They came from the East Seniors!

Greencore
08-01-2017, 04:32 AM
The way I see it is, any team that has our players on loan I want them to do well because it will help our players out on loan. Couldn't see anyone choosing Edinburgh city over hibs or even the sh**e from Gorgie well.. I would choose to support Edinburgh city if it was down to them and Edinburgh city .. but you get what I mean. So that being said.. good luck to them.

Bristolhibby
08-01-2017, 09:19 AM

By that rational you would like all pubs near Easter Road and food establishments to be closed also on March Day.

J

mim
08-01-2017, 10:57 AM
They have never been a Junior club. They came from the East Seniors!

They were a Junior club way back when I was a bairn. Played at City Park.

Tomsk
08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
They were a Junior club way back when I was a bairn. Played at City Park.

The Edinburgh City that plays now shares the name with the club that played home games at City Park in the Scottish League in the 1930s and Juniors in the 1940s, but they are two distinct entities. The old club went out of existence in the 1950s. The new Edinburgh City were in fact Postal United, a club that played in the East of Scotland League. Postal changed their name to Edinburgh City; can't recall when but Postal were still playing as Postal in the 1980s.

Postal played at the Civil Service Sports Ground at Marine Drive. I can't recall if they played as Edinburgh City there. I only remember Edinburgh City playing at Fernieside before they moved into Meadowbank. It was the Meadowbank move that got them full membership of the SFA, and the rest is history.

Good luck to them.

mim
08-01-2017, 12:45 PM
The Edinburgh City that plays now shares the name with the club that played home games at City Park in the Scottish League in the 1930s and Juniors in the 1940s, but they are two distinct entities. The old club went out of existence in the 1950s.

Ah, thanks for that.
A bit like Rangers, then?? :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
08-01-2017, 12:50 PM
What was the attendance yesterday?

Tomsk
08-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Ah, thanks for that.
A bit like Rangers, then?? :greengrin

Far be it from me to say. :greengrin

But while I remember, at point they also merged with Liberton Cropley -- in the 1990s sometime? :confused: They really have had a pretty convoluted history.

Lancs Harp
08-01-2017, 01:03 PM
Postal changed their name to Edinburgh City in 1986. Edinburgh City had ceased to be a football club in the mid 50s (after the council refused to renew the lease on City Park). Edinburgh City Football club Ltd remained as a social club and gave Postal the right to use the name in 1986.

The gate yesterday was 481.

tamig
08-01-2017, 01:47 PM

What a strange outlook. You'll be wanting the boozers on ER and Leith Walk closed next. Good luck to Edinburgh City.

inglisavhibs
08-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Wasnt the best was it? The only real entertainment was provided by Citys under 11 drummer and his mob and Arbroaths crew of about 10 that rose to the challenge.

Really poor game.

Incidently most of those going through the turnstyle seemed to be Hibs and Hearts fans taking advantage of the reduced entrance price for season ticket holders.

Arbroath started much better and deserved their win. Was a wee bit disappointed in Porteous our loan player, he looked a bit lethargic and needs to get more aggressive as a centre back. Hope that was just a one-off as I'd heard good reports on him. Arbroath had good width and a bit of balance in their team. They might not be far away from the top come the end of the season.

O'Rourke3
08-01-2017, 03:30 PM
By that rational you would like all pubs near Easter Road and food establishments to be closed also on March Day.

J

July 12th????:greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
08-01-2017, 05:31 PM
After a concerted campaign apparently it's now not being flattened any more

Not sure about that. If you Google it you'll see firm plans and details etc already lodged with the Council

BullsCloseHibs
08-01-2017, 05:36 PM

Hibs FC and The Hibs SC share no financial ties. I don't see what you are on about here...

Seveno
08-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Two Hibs players in the defence which has one of the lowest goal against stat.in the league.

Second Arbroath goal was scored by Omar Kader, a Hibby.

lord bunberry
08-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Not sure about that. If you Google it you'll see firm plans and details etc already lodged with the Council
I heard that it was only the velodrome area that was being redeveloped.

edit. Having googled it you appear to be correct. City will have to share with someone else while the stadium is being redeveloped. The fact that the new one is only going to have 500 seats means it's not really going to be a viable option if they want to progress as a club.

BullsCloseHibs
08-01-2017, 06:35 PM
I heard that it was only the velodrome area that was being redeveloped.

edit. Having googled it you appear to be correct. City will have to share with someone else while the stadium is being redeveloped. The fact that the new one is only going to have 500 seats means it's not really going to be a viable option if they want to progress as a club.

Yeah, I read the plans before Christmas and they are pretty detailed too. Looks quite exciting.Think Edinburgh City will need to look for alternative accommodation sometime soon.

On a side note, I wonder what will happen to the 4G pitches and Leith Athletic who play there? These are fairly new pitches and were funded by the PoC Act.

lord bunberry
08-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I read the plans before Christmas and they are pretty detailed too. Looks quite exciting.Think Edinburgh City will need to look for alternative accommodation sometime soon.

On a side note, I wonder what will happen to the 4G pitches and Leith Athletic who play there? These are fairly new pitches and were funded by the PoC Act.
Is that the pitch on lochend road south? I've noticed the sign saying they were funded from the poc act.

BullsCloseHibs
09-01-2017, 03:11 PM
is that the pitch on lochend road south? I've noticed the sign saying they were funded from the poc act.

no, its the floodlit 6-a-side pitches at the rear (east of) the stadium.

linlithgowhibbie
09-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Hibs FC and The Hibs SC share no financial ties. I don't see what you are on about here...

You are correct the Hibs FC and Hibs SC do not have any financial ties.

What does happen tho is that the supporters Club sponsor and donate monies to Hibs FC in several ways and have done for a while now.

By possibly taking business away from the Supporters club there may be less money donated by the Supporters club to Hibs FC.

I hope this explains what I meant whether you agree or not!:thumbsup:

where'stheslope
09-01-2017, 07:58 PM
They should knock Meadowbank down and reinstate Old Meadowbank Speedway and bring the Monarchs back from Armadale.
Meadowbank was the biggest mistake ever made as it to replace the schools running track and Old Meadowbank Speedway track.
They build a Velodrome with no roof, so it was ruined within a year of being finished?
They only made 1 stand and the rest was scaffolding seating?
For the area that they had to work with, there could have been a far better stadium for the city than the eyesore that it has!!!

hibbydad
09-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Could not agree with you more where's the slope