PDA

View Full Version : Best Starting XI

TheGreenMan
07-01-2017, 10:48 AM
With Lennon due to have a few selection problems, what is your starting team if all are fit now?

Harsh on Fyvie and Bartley after his performance last night but...

I'd go:

--------------------Marciano--------------------

Gray-----McGregor--------Hanlon------Stevenson

-----------McGeouch-------McGinn--------------

Humphrey--------Commons-----------Boyle-----

-------------------Cummings---------------------

3pm
07-01-2017, 10:51 AM
It's just good to have options.

southfieldhibby
07-01-2017, 10:53 AM
I'd maybe consider going 3-3-3-1

Goalie

Gray
DMac
Hanlon

Dylan
Fyvie
SJM

Humphrey
Commons
Boyle

Cummings

We need to start smashing teams, being on the front foot and the need for so many defensive players isn't necessary.

Allant1981
07-01-2017, 10:55 AM
marciano
gray
mcgregor
hanlon
stevenson
humphrey
fyvie
mcginn
commons
shinnie
cummings

Unseen work
07-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Marciano

Gray mcgregor Hanlon Stevenson

Fyvie mcgeouch

Humphrey Mcginn. Boyle

Cummings

jacomo
07-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Goalie

Gray
DMac
Hanlon

Dylan
Fyvie
SJM

Humphrey
Commons
Boyle

Cummings

We need to start smashing teams, being on the front foot and the need for so many defensive players isn't necessary.

I'd maybe reconsider that, Pepe. :wink:

We finally had width last night, but you'd go super narrow?

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2017, 11:06 AM
With Lennon due to have a few selection problems, what is your starting team if all are fit now?

Harsh on Fyvie and Bartley after his performance last night but...

I'd go:

--------------------Marciano--------------------

Gray-----McGregor--------Hanlon------Stevenson

-----------McGeouch-------McGinn--------------

Humphrey--------Commons-----------Boyle-----

-------------------Cummings---------------------

That looks a great line up, but when Fyvie is fit he has to play in my opinion.

Great problem though. :greengrin

J-C
07-01-2017, 11:08 AM

How is it narrow with Humphrey and Boyle playing wide.

lucky
07-01-2017, 11:11 AM
We have a squad which can be rotated. They will all have their part to play. It could be a different 11 every week

southfieldhibby
07-01-2017, 11:15 AM

That's not narrow. Boyle and Humphrey are wingers, with Commons in the hole behind Cummings.

TheGreenMan
07-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Keatings could come in for Boyle too, not his best position but his final ball is better than Boyles, though you lose out on pace but he's about the only other option for left wing.

jacomo
07-01-2017, 12:11 PM
That's not narrow. Boyle and Humphrey are wingers, with Commons in the hole behind Cummings.

Ok you go 3-3-3-1 if you want.

Back in the real world, I'll take our set up from last night thanks.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-01-2017, 12:14 PM
When Fyvie is fit. He plays imo. There's a spine that I'd play every match;

Gray, Hanlon, McGregor, Fyvie,Mcginn and Cummings (said it for long enough but the goals he scored last night and many throughout the season are through being in the right place at the right time. He should have stayed on the park against Raith and we'd be looking at 9 points from the last 3 but that's done now so I'll pipe down about it)

The rest of the team can alter depending on opponents and likelihood of them attacking. The greatest thing about the squad we have now is depth. If we can stay injury free then we've practically 2 different sides we can put out!

I've not included Stevenson on the "must start" line up because at some point, I'd love to see Crane given a run out

Great problems to have. Strongest squad we've had in a long time and I'd say we've actually got more balance now than we did throughout the 2 years Stubbsy was here

southfieldhibby
07-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Ok you go 3-3-3-1 if you want.

Back in the real world, I'll take our set up from last night thanks.

I'm not the manager of Hibs, neither are you, so we both inhabit the same magical mystical world of make believe on this occasion.

I guess the point I was making is that I'd like Dylan,SJM and Fyvie to start. Both Humphrey and Boyle give the width we need and Commons is sure to start when he's here given his relationship with the real world manager. We also require a striker, which leaves 3 places for defenders.

jacomo
07-01-2017, 02:09 PM
I'm not the manager of Hibs, neither are you, so we both inhabit the same magical mystical world of make believe on this occasion.

I guess the point I was making is that I'd like Dylan,SJM and Fyvie to start. Both Humphrey and Boyle give the width we need and Commons is sure to start when he's here given his relationship with the real world manager. We also require a striker, which leaves 3 places for defenders.

There's a debate to be had about a back 4 with full backs, or a back 3 with wing backs pushed on, but I don't know how lining up without either does anything other than make you extremely vulnerable on the counter.

Your team looks like a 'Team of the weekend' in the papers, where they cram in 4 strikers and don't give a thought to balance.

emerald green
07-01-2017, 02:21 PM
There is no best starting XI for every single match. It's a squad game, and the coaching team will pick what they consider the best XI, and formation, to suit each match and the conditions.

southfieldhibby
07-01-2017, 02:49 PM
There's a debate to be had about a back 4 with full backs, or a back 3 with wing backs pushed on, but I don't know how lining up without either does anything other than make you extremely vulnerable on the counter.

Your team looks like a 'Team of the weekend' in the papers, where they cram in 4 strikers and don't give a thought to balance.

I've only included one striker in my 11 though?

3-3-3-1 isn't something I just dreamt up, it's been used by progressive footballing teams over the years...Ajax, Bielsa's Chile, Bayern with Pep, so it's not new.

It works with teams that in theory should dominate the ball- like Hibs should in this league- it also works with players who can change positions - I think the front line of 3 could do that- and the energy that SJM and Fyvie bring to midfield also works well.

I'd even consider taking Gray out for Fonts or Forster ( Hanlon/DMac are the only essential defenders imo, others can change)

So it's seriously not as you suggest, it's a formation that works with dominating teams, and utilises the squad we have as well as possible.

07-01-2017, 02:58 PM
We have a squad which can be rotated. They will all have their part to play. It could be a different 11 every week

Absolutely, great position to be in. We can afford to give key players a break when necessary. Going to be a big second half of the season so as you say, everyone has a part to play. Having a strong bench is just as important as having a strong starting 11. We have players that can come on later in the game that can add a bit of pace to trouble tired defenders.

coldingham hibs
07-01-2017, 06:22 PM
I'm still a bit bemused why so many would start Commons, I wasn't at the Falkirk game but apart from his goal & set up in that game I haven't seen him Produce anything worthy of a start. If McGinn was 100% last night and replaced Commons we would have been much better.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Goalie

Gray
DMac
Hanlon

Dylan
Fyvie
SJM

Humphrey
Commons
Boyle

Cummings

that could be a great combination and formation

Sir David Gray
07-01-2017, 07:21 PM
As things stand, Commons will be leaving us after next week's game so he can't be included in anyone's starting XI going forward, unless we agree to extend his contract.

After the Dumbarton game my starting XI (assuming no injuries or suspensions) would be;

Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Humphrey
McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn
Boyle

Cummings

SUBS

Laidlaw
Fontaine
Bartley
Boyle
Martin
Shinnie
Holt

HibsNutter
07-01-2017, 07:23 PM
I'd honestly find it too hard to pick a best starting eleven, particularly because of our midfield options now. Which is great and speaks volumes for the quality of our squad.

theonlywayisup
07-01-2017, 07:42 PM
My eleven, well............

The front three is a no brainer - it has to be Boyle, Cummings and Humprey.

The goalie - doesn't matter either are good.

The defence, it has to be SDG, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson.

So the decision is the midfield - so that, for me is, McGinn, Fyvie and AN Other.

So, for me the only decision is Commons, if he stays, followed by either McGeoch, Bartley or Shinnie, depending on who we are playing/fit.

Easy being a manager!!

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 07:45 PM
My eleven, well............

The front three is a no brainer - it has to be Boyle, Cummings and Humprey.

The goalie - doesn't matter either are good.

The defence, it has to be SDG, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson.

So the decision is the midfield - so that, for me is, McGinn, Fyvie and AN Other.

So, for me the only decision is Commons, if he stays, followed by either McGeoch, Bartley or Shinnie, depending on who we are playing/fit.

Easy being a manager!!
I would say the only position in doubt would be Bartley or Fyvie as defensive mid

theonlywayisup
07-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I would say the only position in doubt would be Bartley or Fyvie as defensive mid

Who would be your other two midfielders then?

J-C
07-01-2017, 07:58 PM

How many games like last night does Bartley have? Fyvie is more consistent and gives you better passing and an out ball.

Juice-Terry
07-01-2017, 07:59 PM
McGeouch over Fyvie any day of the week.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-01-2017, 08:06 PM
McGeouch over Fyvie any day of the week.

Totally different players. It's never an either/or with these two

Dashing Bob S
07-01-2017, 08:09 PM
I think it's horses for courses. It takes more than 11 players to skoosh, I mean win, the league.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Who would be your other two midfielders then?
the same team so Commons and McGeoch with the two wide players

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:16 PM
How many games like last night does Bartley have? Fyvie is more consistent and gives you better passing and an out ball.
wouldn't disagree. Bartley as back up to Fyvie

HoboHarry
07-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Never really understood how anyone can pick a "best team". Our best team against Dundee United, or indeed any SPL team, would be different to that of our best team to face an ultra defensive mob like we see regularly.....

jacomo
07-01-2017, 08:42 PM
I've only included one striker in my 11 though?

3-3-3-1 isn't something I just dreamt up, it's been used by progressive footballing teams over the years...Ajax, Bielsa's Chile, Bayern with Pep, so it's not new.

It works with teams that in theory should dominate the ball- like Hibs should in this league- it also works with players who can change positions - I think the front line of 3 could do that- and the energy that SJM and Fyvie bring to midfield also works well.

I'd even consider taking Gray out for Fonts or Forster ( Hanlon/DMac are the only essential defenders imo, others can change)

So it's seriously not as you suggest, it's a formation that works with dominating teams, and utilises the squad we have as well as possible.

I think your head is in the clouds, but you are entitled to your opinion.

And yes, I am well aware that Pep used something like it on occasion at BM. And I know who Bielsa is, and his somewhat eccentric career.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Never really understood how anyone can pick a "best team". Our best team against Dundee United, or indeed any SPL team, would be different to that of our best team to face an ultra defensive mob like we see regularly.....
thats true however I always assume I'm picking the most attack minded team playing at home, lets say in a cup tie

if it was a league game at parkhead then yes that would be different. A lot of threads are game specific though

hibeequinn
08-01-2017, 12:39 PM
As things stand, Commons will be leaving us after next week's game so he can't be included in anyone's starting XI going forward, unless we agree to extend his contract.

After the Dumbarton game my starting XI (assuming no injuries or suspensions) would be;

Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Humphrey
McGeouch
Fyvie
McGinn
Boyle

Cummings

SUBS

Laidlaw
Fontaine
Bartley
Boyle
Martin
Shinnie
Holt

Have we signed another Boyle lol you have one in starting line up and one on the bench mate