PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn

hibee_girl
06-01-2017, 10:20 PM
3 minutes is all it took from him coming on to him scoring tonight :top marks:hibees

northstandhibby
06-01-2017, 10:21 PM
3 minutes is all it took from him coming on to him scoring tonight :top marks:hibees

:top marks

What a player!!!

Glory Glory

Scottie
06-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Finished off nutmegging the keeper for his goal :not worth

hibs#1
06-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Great goal,great player.
Delighted we have him think he walks into every midfield in Scotland I include Celtic in that aswell.

Unseen work
06-01-2017, 10:29 PM
He seems to turn players effortlessly which opens up the whole pitch.

Oozed class when he came on.

06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Absolutely electric when he came on tonight. What a player he is when he's on his game. Brilliant goal :thumbsup:

Super John Mcginn indeed! HES BACK !!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::flag:

Fritz
06-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Remind me how we managed to sign him on a 4 year deal again...?!?!

dp00
06-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Someone tell me tho.... what's the words to his song ... always seemed to go quite at the Alan Stubbs man bit [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr White
06-01-2017, 10:35 PM
He's better than Zidane.

RoYO!
06-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Crowd had gotten a bit flat at a crucial time, just him stepping on to the pitch lifted the whole place massively and saw us well and truly over the line! Great to hear the SJM song BOOMING! :D

RoYO!
06-01-2017, 10:38 PM
Someone tell me tho.... what's the words to his song ... always seemed to go quite at the Alan Stubbs man bit [emoji23]

I'm pretty sure I managed a "Neil Stubbsy's man" tonight!

emerald green
06-01-2017, 10:41 PM
I wonder how long Hibs will be able to keep John McGinn? Superbly taken goal. He will clearly play at a much higher level at some stage in his career.

brianmc
06-01-2017, 10:44 PM

He's won the Scottish cup,
The huns can get to ****,
We've got super John McGinn

Libby Hibby
06-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Outstanding tonight

Oscar T Grouch
06-01-2017, 10:45 PM
I wonder how long Hibs will be able to keep John McGinn? Superbly taken goal. He will clearly play at a much higher level at some stage in his career.

One more season after this, he will show what he can do in the premier league and will be snapped up by a team down south. So much talent with bags of potential too. I think he will break our record transfer fee too when he goes. Lets enjoy him while we can.

PompeyHibs
06-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Welcome back Super John McGinn

Great performance and superb goal

emerald green
06-01-2017, 10:51 PM
One more season after this, he will show what he can do in the premier league and will be snapped up by a team down south. So much talent with bags of potential too. I think he will break our record transfer fee too when he goes. Lets enjoy him while we can.

Agree, and I hope Hibs can keep him for another season after this. If / when (I'm not going to tempt fate) Hibs get promoted they might not be able to refuse a huge offer which could be used to bring in several good signings.

Tamhere1875
06-01-2017, 11:07 PM
He's a Hibs player he's going nowhere let's stop all this crap about him moving on.

RoscoHibby
06-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Must've said it to my mate I sit with at least 200 times past couple of seasons.

I f00k1n love John McGinn!!!

McD
He has a gazza-esque ability to take a dunt/bang from an opponent but not be knocked off his stride, as shown tonight with the goal

.Sean.
Bar none my favourite Hibs player, ever.

The buzz around me was unreal when it became clear he was coming on, and then was duly rocking once he was on the park. An unreal talent and let's just enjoy him while he's here cause it'll be a sad day when and should he ever leave.

IMO has the attributes to make it in the English Premiership and will become a mainstay for the national side. What a talent.

Marco G
06-01-2017, 11:14 PM
He's a Hibs player he's going nowhere let's stop all this crap about him moving on.
Well said. He is a hibby through and through and you could see what his goal meant to him and his team mates tonight,

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-01-2017, 11:15 PM
What a brilliant player to have back. Immense when he came on. Lucky to have a player of his calibre at Hibs, enjoy him whist we can as this guy is going onto greater things. 👍

Jones28
06-01-2017, 11:16 PM
The mans a legend 💚

XXIVMMXVI
06-01-2017, 11:18 PM
Brilliant to have him back, I also thought it was great timing by Lennon when bringing him on as it gave the crowd that extra buzz when things had gone quiet.

cabbageandribs1875
06-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Damn those paisley buddies getting a rather large slice of any future transfer fee, almost worth the £22 alone just to watch him the 1st five mins he was on :greengrin

edwards
06-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Lennon brought him on just at the right time we were starting to tire a bit and it was like he just picked up from were he left off brilliant lets move onwards and upwards from here lets win our next ten games and see how the league looks after that.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-01-2017, 11:24 PM
Sexual from Mcginn.

Massive boost having him back. Just need Fyvie back and we're laughing!

Players like him and (grudgingly) Mckay at rangers are the future. Get both starting in the international set up for our game in march and build an attacking team

random sub
06-01-2017, 11:31 PM
McGinn is great and is indeed the future of the national team. A premiership team should snap him up- either in his last year at Hibs or for circa 25 million:wink:

bigstu
06-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Great performance.

Would like to see him score more goals as he is clearly capable

Andy74
06-01-2017, 11:33 PM
In today's market he should be our first £10 million player.

Heisenberg
06-01-2017, 11:34 PM
In today's market he should be our first £10 million player.

Could spend that on Sturridge IMO.

Itsnoteasy
06-01-2017, 11:37 PM
He's better than Zidane.

I just don't think he understands.

silverhibee
06-01-2017, 11:43 PM

Lennon in his interview after the game said " John is one we want to hold on to this window" just thought it was a bit strange thing to say when he really wasn't asked if he would be leaving, wonder if clubs are showing interest, my worry would be him going to Celtc.

Certainly destined to play at a higher level and the thing is everyone can see it, which worries me that a club may try to get him in this window, ie Celtc who could blood him in for the rest of the season and have him take over from Brown for next season.

lyonhibs
06-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Fairly obviously on a different footballing planet to anyone else out there today. The way he uses his body to bamboozle opponents without doing too much with the ball is great to see.

Once he gets a head of steam up, his touch and running style make it next to impossible to get the ball off him

silverhibee
06-01-2017, 11:45 PM

Every player has there price, if Hibs were to get the right offer they may not turn it down.

KWJ
06-01-2017, 11:46 PM
That was the most ridiculous cameo performance I've ever seen.

What a player.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-01-2017, 12:06 AM
What. A. Man [emoji7]

Andy74
07-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Lennon in his interview after the game said " John is one we want to hold on to this window" just thought it was a bit strange thing to say when he really wasn't asked if he would be leaving, wonder if clubs are showing interest, my worry would be him going to Celtc.

Certainly destined to play at a higher level and the thing is everyone can see it, which worries me that a club may try to get him in this window, ie Celtc who could blood him in for the rest of the season and have him take over from Brown for next season.

If Celtic offered Griffiths, Henderson, Christie and £5 million I'd still have to think about it.

H18 SFR
07-01-2017, 12:09 AM
John McGinn has got to be worth a Dele Ali style deal in the summer- sold and loaned straight back for a full season. Reinvest the fee plus keep him for a year.

My_Wife_Camille
07-01-2017, 12:26 AM
A quality player and a Hibs legend. Can't remember one player getting a reception as huge as that before.

hibsbollah
07-01-2017, 12:56 AM
He will be a £15-£20 million player in the current market. That 4 year deal might be the best bit of business we've ever done.

My_Wife_Camille
07-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Had this saved from a while back

Hearts fans thoughts on McGinn :cb

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/158081-john-mcginn/

hibsbollah
07-01-2017, 01:36 AM

"I am confident we will go to the San Giro and show them what we should have done in the second half and finished them off. Hearts will knock Hibernian out of the Scottish Cup and continue their misery of ever winning this trophy again."

'Jamdub', take a bow:top marks:not worth

Pete
07-01-2017, 02:04 AM
He has a gazza-esque ability to take a dunt/bang from an opponent but not be knocked off his stride, as shown tonight with the goal

It's that low centre of gravity that makes certain players act like weebles on the pitch. He also has this amazing ability to beat people simply by shielding the ball.

I can't believe the talent we have at our disposal right now.

'mon the beers
07-01-2017, 02:14 AM
The boy is top drawer. Was saying at the game tonight that there isn't a better centre mid in Scotland, possibly Armstrong on current form in hindsight might be up there, but SJM has that bit extra! He has to go down south and realise his true potential eventually, in the meantime let's enjoy his talents as he is up there with the best

07-01-2017, 02:20 AM
The lads a wee bit of class.
How lucky were we that Houston Dynamo's had already signed there full quota of foreign players and couldn't sign him.

heid the baw
07-01-2017, 02:23 AM

best quote from that thread

"Gray is a good player but can only seem to last 60 mins in a high energy game"

The Gorgie Nostradamus, take a bow

poolman
07-01-2017, 05:46 AM

That's quite a weird thread, lots of Yams more concerned with his looks rather than his IMO great footballing ability

Mind you, we all know that the average Yam supporter is a hunk to be desired by all women, I mean look at fatty Foulkes, the the subject of all women's masturbation thoughts

HoboHarry
07-01-2017, 05:51 AM
That's quite a weird thread, lots of Yams more concerned with his looks rather than his IMO great footballing ability

Mind you, we all know that the average Yam supporter is a hunk to be desired by all women, I mean look at fatty Foulkes, the the subject of all women's masturbation thoughts
Your eyesight is way the hell better than mine - I can't tell the difference between the males and females, they all look the same to me......

Scooter
07-01-2017, 06:00 AM
We will be extremely lucky to see SJM in a hibs shirt next season I think he will see out the season. The guy is too good. He will end up a celtic player unfortunately I'd like to see him go south but he will end up at celtic.

I've seen some silly quotes like 10-15 million. No chance will we get anywhere near that for a championship player. We will be lucky to get close to 4 million

lucky
07-01-2017, 06:49 AM
We will be extremely lucky to see SJM in a hibs shirt next season I think he will see out the season. The guy is too good. He will end up a celtic player unfortunately I'd like to see him go south but he will end up at celtic.

I've seen some silly quotes like 10-15 million. No chance will we get anywhere near that for a championship player. We will be lucky to get close to 4 million

Boo stop writing common sense on .net

Jim44
07-01-2017, 06:51 AM

Except for a a couple of lemon suckers, they were quite complimentary to the point of envy. Remember that was pre 21st May and during their patronising best. Post 21st May Jambo observations take on a less objective nuance and sour grapes has become flavour of the season.

Craig_in_Prague
07-01-2017, 06:57 AM

He's a cracking player, but if we're heading into the premiership with 4M cash in the bank, we'll be well placed to strengthen the squad significantly.
Maybe he'll enjoy another season at Hibs in the top flight, but I agree money might talk this summer.

Jim44
07-01-2017, 07:20 AM
He's a cracking player, but if we're heading into the premiership with 4M cash in the bank, we'll be well placed to strengthen the squad significantly.
Maybe he'll enjoy another season at Hibs in the top flight, but I agree money might talk this summer.

We would be daft to sell McGinn if we go up. We will need players of his quality to get a foothold in the Premiership. It's inevitable that he will move on at some point but let's sell him when his value is at it's peak.

Onion
07-01-2017, 08:22 AM
That was the most ridiculous cameo performance I've ever seen.

What a player.

:agree: Best 15 mins by a Hibs midfielder since Latapy. On a different level, looked extra sharp after this op, and lifted the whole place.

Phil MaGlass
07-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Yep we would be mad to sell him just now, and if we go up you would not want to sell him to a rival club. I really hope players as good as John have more ambition than playing for sellik or the hun.

hibsbollah
07-01-2017, 08:44 AM

If he stays next season when we go up he'll go for an eventual fee of over £10million. I'll stand by that. You just need to look at the inflated market even in the lower EPL/upper championship for even average players.

hibsbollah
07-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Yep we would be mad to sell him just now, and if we go up you would not want to sell him to a rival club. I really hope players as good as John have more ambition than playing for sellik or the hun.

Johns family history with Celtic might have an emotional pull on top of the financial rewards on offer. His granddad was a Celtc chairman or director IIRC. Our best hope of keeping him might be the ridiculous number of midfielders they have on their books already.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Won't be the full compliment at St Midden will get their cut

Hibby Bairn
07-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Was there not a thread a while back about Celtic signing McGinn and loaning him back for rest of this season?

makaveli1875
07-01-2017, 09:00 AM
A quality player and a Hibs legend. Can't remember one player getting a reception as huge as that before.

were you not there when scott brown came back after the broken leg

neil7908
07-01-2017, 09:43 AM
I know this has probably been covered numerous times on previous threads but what percentage of any sell on fee are St Mirren due?

I think if, God forbid, we're not promoted this season John will go in the summer and frankly I'd understand.

If we go up I'd love us to be able to convince him to stay another year.

We should be looking at extending his contract now IMO, even if we have to put in a minimum fee release clause.

1875M
07-01-2017, 09:47 AM
I know this has probably been covered numerous times on previous threads but what percentage of any sell on fee are St Mirren due?

I think if, God forbid, we're not promoted this season John will go in the summer and frankly I'd understand.

If we go up I'd love us to be able to convince him to stay another year.

We should be looking at extending his contract now IMO, even if we have to put in a minimum fee release clause.

I may be wrong here and I'm sure one of the other posters will correct me if I am but I'm sure it's 30%?

cabbageandribs1875
07-01-2017, 09:48 AM
I may be wrong here and I'm sure one of the other posters will correct me if I am but I'm sure it's 30%?

it is indeed

iirc anyway

wookie70
07-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Watched his post match interview on Hibs TV. His enthusiasm is infectious. A top player but also a top man. Speaks very well about the club and importantly about himself. Described being a pain to the physios and coaches to get back quickly and set the target for last night. He described that as being ambitious and also himself as being determined. If he keeps going he will be one of the best we have seen at Easter Road for many a year and even if we only get 70% of a fee that will be a very healthy wedge. Hopefully, that will be a good few years in the future though.

jakedance
07-01-2017, 11:23 AM
I love watching him play. Not many players can use their body to turn players like he does. We should enjoy him while we can because he's going places.

I liked how a jambo described his running style on that kickback thread that it's like he's running for a helicopter.

Scott Allan Key
07-01-2017, 11:31 AM
I love watching him play. Not many players can use their body to turn players like he does. We should enjoy him while we can because he's going places.

I liked how a jambo described his running style on that kickback thread that it's like he's running for a helicopter.

Ducking their fans' manky swinging scarves more like.

lugz
07-01-2017, 12:32 PM
For those with twitter...lets try solve this mystery 😂

https://twitter.com/purv1875/status/817707934025129984

calumhibee1
07-01-2017, 12:38 PM

I actually thought that was pretty funny and a pretty good description 😂

hibbysam
07-01-2017, 12:40 PM

Always be Alan Stubbs' man to me.

emerald green
07-01-2017, 01:56 PM

:agree: Celtic would be the only Scottish club who could afford John McGinn. SJM would seem to me to be an obvious replacement for the ageing Scott Brown.

If he has to go, it MUST be for several £millions, (say three or four - don't sell on the cheap) and preferably to an English club. Hopefully he stays to see Hibs promoted at the end of this season and maybe another season in the Premier. Money talks though, and a lot would depend on the player himself.

Onion
07-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Always be Alan Stubbs' man to me.

:agree: Stubbs signed him and managed the team that won us the Scottish Cup. Only fitting that Stubbsie is included in one of our songs.

Dashing Bob S
07-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Could see him go for big money this time next year after a successful first half of the season in the SPL.

snooky
07-01-2017, 07:03 PM
:agree: Celtic would be the only Scottish club who could afford John McGinn. SJM would seem to me to be an obvious replacement for the ageing Scott Brown.

If he has to go, it MUST be for several £millions, (say three or four - don't sell on the cheap) and preferably to an English club. Hopefully he stays to see Hibs promoted at the end of this season and maybe another season in the Premier. Money talks though, and a lot would depend on the player himself.

4m + Sparky, Broony & Hendo coming to ER ..... and cheap at the price!

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 07:12 PM
4m + Sparky, Broony & Hendo coming to ER ..... and cheap at the price!
when will the day come when our aspirations are greater than the short term gain? Could we not hold on to him longer on the basis that his stock will just keep rising? Or is that too much of a financial risk? If he's worth $4m new year in 3 years he might be worth $10m?
I know this is all hugely debatable but if we are seriously to contend for the league and get into Europe we have to speculate sensibly?

bigwheel
07-01-2017, 07:23 PM
when will the day come when our aspirations are greater than the short term gain? Could we not hold on to him longer on the basis that his stock will just keep rising? Or is that too much of a financial risk? If he's worth $4m new year in 3 years he might be worth $10m?
I know this is all hugely debatable but if we are seriously to contend for the league and get into Europe we have to speculate sensibly?

We can keep them for longer, when we can afford to pay 5-6k a week wages....when MCcGinn moves, he will be heading for probably 10-12k per week somewhere...more if he gets a top league in England move...its irresistible both in footballing and in financial terms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Please please don't go to Celtic. He could be a regular starter for a decent premiership team if he wants it. Scott Brown has had a great career winning plenty trophies and captaining his country, but I feel he could've been a big hit down south.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 07:36 PM
We can keep them for longer, when we can afford to pay 5-6k a week wages....when MCcGinn moves, he will be heading for probably 10-12k per week somewhere...more if he gets a top league in England move...its irresistible both in footballing and in financial terms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
$10k per week = $500k / year which equates to 1,000 season tickets

how many season ticket holders might we lose if we sell him too soon?

Rather than can we afford to keep him, can we afford not to keep him?

hibsbollah
07-01-2017, 07:36 PM

The player controls his destiny, always. If he wants to go, he will go. The good news is he's shown no sign of wanting to, not yet anyway.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 07:39 PM
The player controls his destiny, always. If he wants to go, he will go. The good news is he's shown no sign of wanting to, not yet anyway.
but , but, .......he'll want to go eventually based on money not because of anything else.

hibsbollah
07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
but , but, .......he'll want to go eventually based on money not because of anything else.

You're probably right. I'm not really worried about it, every team in world football with the exception of about half a dozen teams are selling clubs. You just have to enjoy the player while they are here.

Since90+2
07-01-2017, 07:58 PM
McGinn will be away at the end of the season regardless of promotion or not IMO.

He has been fantastic for us but he is a very ambitious lad and will want to progress his career , the club will get a couple of million and it will suit both parties.

northstandhibby
07-01-2017, 08:03 PM
McGinn will be away at the end of the season regardless of promotion or not IMO.

He has been fantastic for us but he is a very ambitious lad and will want to progress his career , the club will get a couple of million and it will suit both parties.

I think you're correct he will soon be gone as he is probably the best scottish midfielder in the country bar Broony or maybe one or two others and is a young man so there are bound to be many clubs who would want him. However, I would be very disappointed if he went for less than 4 million and upwards.

Players like him are gold dust. If he's going then I'm sure not one of us would not wish him all the very best, but lets not allow such a brilliant young player such as nice guy John go for cheap to some predator club.

Glory Glory

Since90+2
07-01-2017, 08:05 PM
I think you're correct as he is probably the best scottish midfielder in the country bar Broony or maybe one or two others and is a young man. I would be very disappointed if he went for less than 4 million and upwards.

Players like him are gold dust. If he's going then I'm sure not one of us would not wish him all the very best, but lets not allow such a brilliant young player such as nice guy John go for cheap to some predator club.

Glory Glory

I would be surprised if we get 4 million. Any bids close to 3 million and the club would accept I think.

northstandhibby
07-01-2017, 08:09 PM
I would be surprised if we get 4 million. Any bids close to 3 million and the club would accept I think.

It might of course depend if we can play hardball and how many clubs are interested? If there are a clutch of English clubs become interested then it could easily be 4 or more million.

He's a fantastically talented young player who will very probably go on to captain Scotland in the future.

Glory Glory

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:23 PM
It might of course depend if we can play hardball and how many clubs are interested? If there are a clutch of English clubs become interested then it could easily be 4 or more million.

He's a fantastically talented young player who will very probably go on to captain Scotland in the future.

Glory Glory
so why not hold onto him longer, let him develop, pay him what he's worth and sell him when he's a superstar. it's just a timing thing . i know we will have to let him go, but why so soon? Let him go when he's captain of the SPL Champions!! How else will we get there?????

Since90+2
07-01-2017, 08:27 PM
so why not hold onto him longer, let him develop, pay him what he's worth and sell him when he's a superstar. it's just a timing thing . i know we will have to let him go, but why so soon? Let him go when he's captain of the SPL Champions!! How else will we get there?????

His next salary is likely to be in the region of 10k per week basic with significant bonuses. Hibs will never be able to afford a salary on that level.

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 08:30 PM

Glory Glory
I doubt it will depend on us playing hardball. If the player says he wants to go we end up in Scott Allan territory. I would like to think that sjm would show us a bit more respect than Allan did. It's not completely out of the question that Allan might end up being used as a sweetener in the deal.

J-C
07-01-2017, 08:30 PM
I can see Celtic coming for him in the summer as Brown's replacement, also remember he's a big Celtic fan with Celtic connections. I can see a deal with Hendo coming our way and maybe even Griffiths if he's still playing second fiddle under Rogers.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:32 PM
His next salary is likely to be in the region of 10k per week basic with significant bonuses. Hibs will never be able to afford a salary on that level.
as i said early if it means we lose 1,000 paying customers in the season after we sell him there is a case that says we can't afford to sell him ..... depends how you look at it and prepared to take the risk. Just playing devils advocate but at some point if we are to progress we have to up the stakes........and getting a huge jump in attendances after winning the Scottish Cup has to be the proof in the pudding..........

Since90+2
07-01-2017, 08:35 PM
as i said early if it means we lose 1,000 paying customers in the season after we sell him there is a case that says we can't afford to sell him ..... depends how you look at it and prepared to take the risk. Just playing devils advocate but at some point if we are to progress we have to up the stakes........and getting a huge jump in attendances after winning the Scottish Cup has to be the proof in the pudding..........

There are a couple of examples in Scottish football of what happens when you spend beyond your financial means. Paying SJM in the region of 10k basic plus bonuses is not viable unfortunately.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Won't be the full compliment at St Midden will get their cut

And the way that they are going their dues may keep that club afloat.

northstandhibby
07-01-2017, 08:37 PM
I doubt it will depend on us playing hardball. If the player says he wants to go we end up in Scott Allan territory. I would like to think that sjm would show us a bit more respect than Allan did. It's not completely out of the question that Allan might end up being used as a sweetener in the deal.

I didn't mean play hardball with John. I meant be tough negotiators with whatever clubs want him and make sure if he goes we get the market rate for such a gifted player. We certainly don't want to get into rat Allan territory with nice guy SJM.

Glory Glory

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:39 PM
There are a couple of examples in Scottish football of what happens when you spend beyond your financial means. Paying SJM in the region of 10k basic plus bonuses is not viable unfortunately.
if it means we are getting crowds of 15k plus and challenging for europe playing attractive football instead of 10k playing mediocre relegation football then I would challenge your statement

blackpoolhibs
07-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Obviously we have to get the best deal for ourselves that we can, but if SJM wants to go west then there will be very little we can do about it.

It will be a case of screwing them for as much as we can get, with either cash or cash plus players.

I mean if Griffiths was part of any deal it would have to be looked at, although i doubt that would be the case but you never know?

Others like McKay Stevens, Henderson and Christie have been mentioned recently. All good players and would enhance most teams, so its a juggling act i suppose losing one very good player and trying to strengthen the team rather than worrying about losing one player in one position.

Its going to happen one day and probably sooner than we want, hopefully we can keep going forward when it does.

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 08:41 PM
I didn't mean play hardball with John. I meant be tough negotiators with whatever clubs want him and make sure if he goes we get the market rate for such a gifted player. We certainly don't want to get into rat Allan territory with nice guy SJM.

Glory Glory

No I realise that, but if sjm states that he wants to leave, then that makes it harder for us to play hardball with potential suitors.

Since90+2
07-01-2017, 08:42 PM
The club will be looking to promote themselves to any young players as the place to come and play at a big Scottish club while learning your trade. Someone like Greig Kilty who we would tried to sign fits the mound.

For that reason the club will not stand in SJM's way when it comes to a move. Of course we will want to maximise the transfer fee but at the same time we have to bear in mind other young players will be looking in with interest. If we are seen to be standing in the way or being unrealistic with the fee we are demanding then other top Scottish players will think twice about coming to us.

Since90+2
07-01-2017, 08:43 PM
if it means we are getting crowds of 15k plus and challenging for europe playing attractive football instead of 10k playing mediocre relegation football then I would challenge your statement

Fair enough.

Its a mute point anyway , Hibs will not be paying any player near 10k per week at anytime in the near or distant future.

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Fair enough.

Its a mute point anyway , Hibs will not be paying any player near 10k per week at anytime in the near or distant future.
you mean moot I think. Is that based on inside knowledge or just past history . i AM NOT ADVOCATING STANDING IN ANY PLAYERS WAY. i am advocating that if we pay the going rate then they may be happy to stay. i ASSUME THAT ANYONE LEAVING TO GO WEST IS DOING IT FOR THE MONEY AND THE MONEY ALONE.
(damn those caps sorry)

northstandhibby
07-01-2017, 08:50 PM
No I realise that, but if sjm states that he wants to leave, then that makes it harder for us to play hardball with potential suitors.

I fully understand what your'e getting at and it would be harder for sure however I'm certain SJM if and when he will go as he surely will will not become a Scott Allan type situation and we will achieve a fair market value for such a gifted young internationally capped player.

Scott Allan situation is rare as most players don't want to create such hostility with former clubs and fans. SJM is a different case entirely from Scott Allan.

SJM will have a host of clubs after him and it could become a bidding war?

Glory Glory

houstonhibbee
07-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I fully understand what your'e getting at and it would be harder for sure however I'm certain SJM if and when he will go as he surely will will not become a Scott Allan type situation and we will achieve a fair market value for such a gifted young internationally capped player.

Scott Allan situation is rare as most players don't want to create such hostility with former clubs and fans. SJM is a different case entirely from Scott Allan.

Glory Glory
I realize we are a stepping stone. Every club is, and has its place in the pecking order. I just think we should be getting ourselves a few more rungs up the ladder............three good cliches fitted in there:rolleyes:

northstandhibby
07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
I realize we are a stepping stone. Every club is, and has its place in the pecking order. I just think we should be getting ourselves a few more rungs up the ladder............three good cliches fitted in there:rolleyes:

We're all on the same page with you bud. It would be fantastic to think we could keep hold of gifted footballers for much longer. However its unfortunately the way of the game these days and as such we must protect the club and make sure we gain financially as best we can when the vultures come knocking at the door for SJM.

:aok:

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Glory Glory
I agree 100% I don't think sjm would do that to us. He seems like such a down to earth type of boy who would hopefully do the right thing for us and him. There's no doubt in my mind that if we go up and he has a season in the top flight it will do his career the world of good and he could pick his next club. I do realise that he's played in the premiership before, but that was with a team struggling. I don't think that would be the case with us next season.

Jones28
07-01-2017, 09:03 PM
I'd love to see him sign an extension if we go up, if he performs to levels we've seen him at previously then he will have an abundance of clubs wanting to pay stupid money for him.

northstandhibby
07-01-2017, 09:04 PM
I agree 100% I don't think sjm would do that to us. He seems like such a down to earth type of boy who would hopefully do the right thing for us and him. There's no doubt in my mind that if we go up and he has a season in the top flight it will do his career the world of good and he could pick his next club. I do realise that he's played in the premiership before, but that was with a team struggling. I don't think that would be the case with us next season.

That would be the ideal situation. He's welcome to stay on as long as he wants to as far as we're concerned for sure. If he does go though hope we don't accept players plus a reduced amount of cash unless of course Leigh was involved.

Glory Glory

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 09:10 PM

That would be the ideal situation. He's welcome to stay on as long as he wants to as far as we're concerned for sure. If he does go though hope we don't accept players plus a reduced amount of cash unless of course Leigh was involved.

Glory Glory
I'd love it to be Leigh coming the other way, but I doubt he's going to take the drop in wages. We can but dream though:greengrin

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-01-2017, 09:14 PM
I said at the start of the season he should have been given fresh terms, much like Cummings and Hanlon were. To show him how much he means to the club (and add an extra year on for good measure)

The lad is going places. I just hope he hangs around for at least another 18 months with us

McD
07-01-2017, 09:16 PM
I'd love it to be Leigh coming the other way, but I doubt he's going to take the drop in wages. We can but dream though:greengrin

:agree: Yeah, think LG is a pipe dream (would love to be proven wrong though :greengrin)

i think an offer along the lines of Henderson, GMS (both perm), and something like £3m might be hard to turn down, although would be fantastic if an English premiership team came in (there is the possibility that they lowball us as its 'just Scottish football').

How much did McCarthy and mcarthur go for when they went down south? I *think* they were less than £1m each.

Hibee Mac
07-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Whatever happens it's a good situation for hibs to be in!

I hope he stays with us if we're promoted for the step up to the spl. Then he goes down south, I don't want celtic to have him as "their big player". Hes our big player.

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 09:21 PM
:agree: Yeah, think LG is a pipe dream (would love to be proven wrong though :greengrin)

i think an offer along the lines of Henderson, GMS (both perm), and something like £3m might be hard to turn down, although would be fantastic if an English premiership team came in (there is the possibility that they lowball us as its 'just Scottish football').

How much did McCarthy and mcarthur go for when they went down south? I *think* they were less than £1m each.

I agree that the fact that we're in the second tier of Scottish football will effect the price we get. The one thing that we've got going for us is that sjm is already an internationalist despite playing in the second tier. The other 2 you mentioned weren't at the time.

McD
07-01-2017, 09:29 PM
I agree that the fact that we're in the second tier of Scottish football will effect the price we get. The one thing that we've got going for us is that sjm is already an internationalist despite playing in the second tier. The other 2 you mentioned weren't at the time.

An excellent point mate, hadn't thought of that :greengrin

silverhibee
07-01-2017, 09:38 PM
West Ham just put a bid in for Snodgrass, £3m, proven player in the EPL and is a internationalist for Scotland, I hate to say it but a bid of £2.5m for SJM and Leeann would have a big decision to make, if that bid came from Celtc and they offered a player as well then that might just sway it for Leeann to say yes.

lord bunberry
07-01-2017, 09:39 PM
West Ham just put a bid in for Snodgrass, £3m, proven player in the EPL and is a internationalist for Scotland, I hate to say it but a bid of £2.5m for SJM and Leeann would have a big decision to make, if that bid came from Celtc and they offered a player as well then that might just sway it for Leeann to say yes.

He's much older than sjm though

mjhibby
07-01-2017, 09:46 PM

Don't think he said this window. There hasn't been any bids as John himself said he was staying and going up with hibs. I think he will be here for hopefully a full season in the SPL and then I can see him go for upwards of £4m.

HibsNutter
07-01-2017, 09:51 PM
He's much older than sjm though

And is out of contract at the end of the season.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Get promoted this summer.

Sign a 12 month extension with an improved wage for him.

Play a season in the Prem and establish himself there.

Leave for 4+ mill.

That's what should happen imo

Super_JMcGinn
07-01-2017, 10:16 PM

I can't wait for him to get fully fit, he was breathtaking for the few minutes he was on :flag:

Since90+2
08-01-2017, 08:22 AM
And is out of contract at the end of the season.

Snodgrass is not out out of contract at the end of the season. Hull triggered a contract extension in December until the end of next season.

neil7908
08-01-2017, 09:33 AM
you mean moot I think. Is that based on inside knowledge or just past history . i AM NOT ADVOCATING STANDING IN ANY PLAYERS WAY. i am advocating that if we pay the going rate then they may be happy to stay. i ASSUME THAT ANYONE LEAVING TO GO WEST IS DOING IT FOR THE MONEY AND THE MONEY ALONE.
(damn those caps sorry)

I think there are some players worth pushing the boat out for and SJM is one of them. My preference right now would be to got him tied down on a new deal and do anything we can to convince him to stay at the club.

The problem with breaking your wage structure so massively for 1 player is that it can unsettle the whole squad. We give SJM £10k in wages, the agent of David Gray will be chapping at the clubs door saying "hold on a minute, David is the captain of this club, a legend and he's earning a fraction of McGinn's salary". Jason Cummings will be thinking "I've been our top scorer for the last few years, the club turned down an offer of £1.7m for me in the summer - I should be earning the same". Any potential signing will be looking at our top earner and wanting to make what they do. Hell Neil Lennon might be aggrieved if he's getting paid much less than one of the players he's in charge of! How would the club respond to all these claims? Sorry, your not worth the extra money? Or would we be forced to pay the rest of the squad more? How many extra STs would we need to sell to cover mass pay rises for half or all of the squad? The alternative is we end up with a fractured and unhappy dressing room.

The other problem is, let's say we give John a 4 year deal on £10k a week - what if he suffers a terrible injury the next game and struggles to ever fully come back? We'd have to pay the remainder of his contact, worth millions of pounds. It's a depressing and unlikely scenario but not exactly unheard of.

I may have laboured the point a bit but I hope you see where I'm coming from. I want us to keep John for as long as we can but in general only reckless teams break existing, carefully planned wage structures and as we've seen in Scottish football, that behaviour can lead to ruin.

For me the best option is offer him a new 3 year deal in the summer if we are promoted on an improved salary but with a gentleman's agreement, or even something written into the contract that he can go should the club receive a bid of say £5m.

superfurryhibby
08-01-2017, 10:23 AM
(damn those caps sorry)

I think you are assuming way too much with that assumption.

What if you support the team in question, have family connections to that club that go back a long way, want to win medals and have the chance to play with and against (in the champions league) better players?

My guess is that McGinn will leave Hibs in the summer, c 2.5 million, with added clauses etc. I would be very surprised if he ended up anywhere but Celtic.

Enjoy him whilst we can, he has served Hibs well already and will hopefully play a big part in getting us back to where we belong.

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 10:48 AM

What if you support the team in question, have family connections to that club that go back a long way, want to win medals and have the chance to play with and against (in the champions league) better players?

My guess is that McGinn will leave Hibs in the summer, c 2.5 million, with added clauses etc. I would be very surprised if he ended up anywhere but Celtic.

Enjoy him whilst we can, he has served Hibs well already and will hopefully play a big part in getting us back to where we belong.

If we accept £2.5m in today's climate for SJM then I'll be mightily hacked off. In an age where Celtic are wanting £25m for Dembele, we're sitting here saying we'll basically give away our top players. We got £4.5m for Brown which is worth about £10m in today's market. McGinn is every bit as good as Brown was, and is also on a fairly decent contract so the ball is fully in our court. Not for one minute am I saying we should get £10m for him but I'd be extremely disappointed if we gave him away for less than £5m. A full international, still very young, multiple trophy winner, a standout week in week out, and still 2 and a half years left on a deal.

J-C
08-01-2017, 11:03 AM
If we accept £2.5m in today's climate for SJM then I'll be mightily hacked off. In an age where Celtic are wanting £25m for Dembele, we're sitting here saying we'll basically give away our top players. We got £4.5m for Brown which is worth about £10m in today's market. McGinn is every bit as good as Brown was, and is also on a fairly decent contract so the ball is fully in our court. Not for one minute am I saying we should get £10m for him but I'd be extremely disappointed if we gave him away for less than £5m. A full international, still very young, multiple trophy winner, a standout week in week out, and still 2 and a half years left on a deal.

I agree, we should be looking at the market values, remembering that McGinn is a current internationalist, for me the starting price should be around £5M upwards.

lugz
08-01-2017, 12:25 PM

So after a massive 91 votes haha. 66% confirmed he is indeed Alan Stubbs man. I hope this clears up any confusion and everyone can now know all the words 😎

Keyser Sauzee
08-01-2017, 12:53 PM
I honestly can't see SJM signing a contract extension even if we are promoted, he will be getting advised against this by his agent more than likely, so I think if we are looking for transfer fees in the region of £2m plus then I think we will only get those kind of offers in the summer or possibly this window. If he stays another year when we are promoted then I can only see fees of around £1m for him as he will only have 1 year left, the Scott Allan situation shows that teams will only pay so much for a player when they can wait 6 month and sign him for peanuts on a pre contract.

I would love love him to sign another deal with Hibs and for us too keep him longer and command a higher fee but I just can't see it, we won't get the fees people are mentioning here on this thread of £4m plus, no chance, and it's not his ability that is dictating that it's his contract.

Also we can't go smashing the wage structure to the extent it would take for SJM to sign a new deal as the knock on effects to the other players and their agents would be too much for the club to take on, we are the size of club we are and we can only afford so much. The best thing to do is enjoy the guy for as long as he's here because he is a fantastic player, as good as we have had since Scott Brown and I can't see him being here a lot longer. All IMHO tho.

Lee Marvin
08-01-2017, 01:07 PM
I honestly can't see SJM signing a contract extension even if we are promoted, he will be getting advised against this by his agent more than likely, so I think if we are looking for transfer fees in the region of £2m plus then I think we will only get those kind of offers in the summer or possibly this window. If he stays another year when we are promoted then I can only see fees of around £1m for him as he will only have 1 year left, the Scott Allan situation shows that teams will only pay so much for a player when they can wait 6 month and sign him for peanuts on a pre contract.

I would love love him to sign another deal with Hibs and for us too keep him longer and command a higher fee but I just can't see it, we won't get the fees people are mentioning here on this thread of £4m plus, no chance, and it's not his ability that is dictating that it's his contract.

Also we can't go smashing the wage structure to the extent it would take for SJM to sign a new deal as the knock on effects to the other players and their agents would be too much for the club to take on, we are the size of club we are and we can only afford so much. The best thing to do is enjoy the guy for as long as he's here because he is a fantastic player, as good as we have had since Scott Brown and I can't see him being here a lot longer. All IMHO tho.

He has won 2 national cup finals, is a full international player,has played well over 150 games, is still only 21/22 and has the title 'super' in front of his name.

If we sold him for £2m with 2yrs left on his deal there would be anarchy amongst the support.

Ronniekirk
08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Great performance.

Would like to see him score more goals as he is clearly capable

He scored two just before he went in for his op If plaued in right posotion and given freedom to roam he is more than czbsble of scoring more and will Still developing but loves ot at hibs
The reception he got just for warming up was something special The whole Stafium joined in
Wish that happened more often as it crestes a great Atmosphere

Ronniekirk
08-01-2017, 02:50 PM

He os going no where this window and he is happy just now and dpesnt want to leave thankfully He made it clear after winning the Scottish Cup he wanted to stay and get us promoted He has integrity a rate commodity in the modern game

GreenOnions
08-01-2017, 03:07 PM
SJM remains a fantastic player for us and he has the attitude and capability to improve his game much further.

Unfortunately I don't see him playing for us after the summer and, if that is the case, he would leave with our best wishes.

Like some on here I am realistic about value but do consider he does have the sort of attributes that attract sizeable transfer fees.

I'd imagine something around £2m plus future sell-on clause wouldn't be too far away.

If he goes to Celtic I could see us using the matter as a bargaining chip to encourage our hooped friends to include one of their fringe players permanently as part of the deal. To receive significant cash plus, say, Henderson would be good forward planning by Hibs IMHO.

First priority for McGinn will be to help up get promoted though ☺

Chip shop Joe
08-01-2017, 03:12 PM

I do think that SJM is a fantastic player but imho he is not in the class of Brown when he signed for Celtic. He was the player out of the golden generation who I really thought would make it in the English Premiership.

BH Hibs
08-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Would Celtic or more importantly Rodgers want him as he seems to be interested in signing the next foreign wonderkid rather than a Scottish youngster?

Glory Lurker
08-01-2017, 03:47 PM
Does anyone else think he could play The Edge if they ever did a movie about U2's early years?

weecounty hibby
08-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Let's get real here folks. Hearts were talking about £500,000 to £1m for Paterson before his injury!!! Super John will unfortunately leave us at some point but we really should be looking at MINIMUM £5m for him if it has to be this summer. Teams don't just pay for what players are doing now but on potential and also potential ongoing sale revenue, and he has masses and masses of potential. I just hope he doesn't go to Celtic, I think he is much better than saying for them

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I do think that SJM is a fantastic player but imho he is not in the class of Brown when he signed for Celtic. He was the player out of the golden generation who I really thought would make it in the English Premiership.

I cannot see any differences at all, the scott brown at Hibs was full of energy, box to box, scored some goals, made plenty tackles, had a couple of Scotland caps, and had a winners medal, while being exactly the same age as SJM.

The similarities are striking.

Col2
08-01-2017, 08:47 PM
I cannot see any differences at all, the scott brown at Hibs was full of energy, box to box, scored some goals, made plenty tackles, had a couple of Scotland caps, and had a winners medal, while being exactly the same age as SJM.

Market is different now in Scotland anyway. I can't see us getting £4.5m like we did with Brown. £3m maybe but clubs won't pay upwards of £5m for a
Scottish player untried in England.

3pm
08-01-2017, 08:48 PM
McGinn is a better player than Brown was IMO.

hibbysam
08-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Market is different now in Scotland anyway. I can't see us getting £4.5m like we did with Brown. £3m maybe but clubs won't pay upwards of £5m for a
Scottish player untried in England.

Clubs down south now have millions upon millions to spend on players, and spending £4/5/6m on a young player north of the border with huge potential is nothing to them. If it doesn't work out they will make a couple million back, and if it does they will make their money back and much more, see Steven Fletcher.

People are grossly underestimating the amount English clubs have to spend and if they seriously want to buy our top players then they have to spend top dollar on them.

hibsbollah
08-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Clubs down south now have millions upon millions to spend on players, and spending £4/5/6m on a young player north of the border with huge potential is nothing to them. If it doesn't work out they will make a couple million back, and if it does they will make their money back and much more, see Steven Fletcher.

People are grossly underestimating the amount English clubs have to spend and if they seriously want to buy our top players then they have to spend top dollar on them.

I agree. I loved Fletcher but did anyone seriously see him as a £12million player when Sunderland bought him? Now plying his trade back in the 2nd tier after failing to inspire at Marseille on loan. Oliver Burke at £13million from the English 2nd tier? Theres a lot of money out there.

ancient hibee
08-01-2017, 10:02 PM
McGinn is a better player than Brown was IMO.
Brown was playing against far better players on a regular basis than McGinn is.

Shrekko
08-01-2017, 10:06 PM

Marginally better and a lot of McGinn's games in the past year have been against Hearts, Rangers, SPL teams, international teams and Brondby.

I think there's very little between him and Brown at the sane age. Quite how we managed to sign him is anyone's guess.

Mr White
08-01-2017, 10:12 PM
Marginally better and a lot of McGinn's games in the past year have been against Hearts, Rangers, SPL teams, international teams and Brondby.

I think there's very little between him and Brown at the sane age. Quite how we managed to sign him is anyone's guess.
Steven Thompson doing an impression of his namesake Daley with a corner flag in training played a significant part IIRC. Cheers Stevo :greengrin

superfurryhibby
08-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Reasonable point, but I think McGinn needs to show the same standard against SPL teams week in-week out, not just in a occasional basis. I do think the quality of player, particularly in the top six sides in the SPL, is quite a bit above what he plays against in the championship and it's worth noting that Hearts and the Huns have had some significant changes in personnel since they were promoted.

I recall Brown as carrying more of a goal threat at this stage of his career? McGinn is all potential at the moment, but he has shown he has the ability make the step up in standard and I suspect he has the temperament to match.

3pm
08-01-2017, 10:20 PM

And Brown was surrounded by better players.

monktonharp
08-01-2017, 10:26 PM
If we accept £2.5m in today's climate for SJM then I'll be mightily hacked off. In an age where Celtic are wanting £25m for Dembele, we're sitting here saying we'll basically give away our top players. We got £4.5m for Brown which is worth about £10m in today's market. McGinn is every bit as good as Brown was, and is also on a fairly decent contract so the ball is fully in our court. Not for one minute am I saying we should get £10m for him but I'd be extremely disappointed if we gave him away for less than £5m. A full international, still very young, multiple trophy winner, a standout week in week out, and still 2 and a half years left on a deal.not read much of the posts on this subject but I assume you are correct about John re-family ties rtc. Apart from that I also go with what you are saying, a real give away price if Celtic get silly money about Dembele! Mc Ginn is a better allround player imho. he is the best we have had for such a long long time. I put him firmly in the bracket of my favourite Hibernian players, being Stanton O'Rourke Riordan.many others I liked but the wee man is well up there. a great bit o' business by Dempster and obviously Stubbsy's scouting or backroom team. long may he remain, as a Hibby.he is a better player than Broony,a better player than Collins, and a better player than Sauzee for us.

IWasThere2016
08-01-2017, 10:30 PM

SJM attends all Cellic Champs League games and is a fan.

pacoluna
08-01-2017, 10:32 PM
So after a massive 91 votes haha. 66% confirmed he is indeed Alan Stubbs man. I hope this clears up any confusion and everyone can now know all the words 😎
Thats just daft he's as much stubbs man as he is Danny Lennon's.

superfurryhibby
08-01-2017, 10:45 PM
not read much of the posts on this subject but I assume you are correct about John re-family ties rtc. Apart from that I also go with what you are saying, a real give away price if Celtic get silly money about Dembele! Mc Ginn is a better allround player imho. he is the best we have had for such a long long time. I put him firmly in the bracket of my favourite Hibernian players, being Stanton O'Rourke Riordan.many others I liked but the wee man is well up there. a great bit o' business by Dempster and obviously Stubbsy's scouting or backroom team. long may he remain, as a Hibby.he is a better player than Broony,a better player than Collins, and a better player than Sauzee for us.

He's not wee, having passed him recently at close range, he's probably about 5"10. He also is definitely not a better player than Brown and he has a long way to go before he comes close to the standard of player Collins was.

Here's hoping the Hibs board have the bawz to hold out for a good fee for John, because I don't doubt the offers will be coming, probably sooner rather than later.

Lancs Harp
08-01-2017, 10:50 PM
When he goes we should sell him to a Chinese Club for a billion quid.

Heisenberg
08-01-2017, 10:53 PM
When he goes we should sell him to a Chinese Club for a billion quid.

Just get Andy McNeil to put in a good word and we'll be rich. Corners filled in and helipad sort of rich :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
08-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Given that a player from Charlton Athletic in League 1 in England has moved to the Premiership for £10m, we should be looking for nothing less than £4m. Peanuts to teams in the English Championship and above.

monktonharp
08-01-2017, 11:21 PM
He's not wee, having passed him recently at close range, he's probably about 5"10. He also is definitely not a better player than Brown and he has a long way to go before he comes close to the standard of player Collins was.

Here's hoping the Hibs board have the bawz to hold out for a good fee for John, because I don't doubt the offers will be coming, probably sooner rather than later.ok superfuddy, take your point about his height. I also met Lennon thinking he was quite wee but he is about 5 feet 10"tae. bigger than me, but I stand by my comments about Mc ginn. all about comments though, or opinions eh? :wink:

superfurryhibby
08-01-2017, 11:38 PM
ok superfuddy, take your point about his height. I also met Lennon thinking he was quite wee but he is about 5 feet 10"tae. bigger than me, but I stand by my comments about Mc ginn. all about comments though, or opinions eh? :wink:

Players are usually bigger up close than they seem on the field!

Aye, it is all about opinions pal and I guess we are blessed with having a player that we can speculate about in the same sentence as those guys you mention and not be laughed off the board. Mc Ginn is an excellent footballer. Love his workrate, determination and strength on the ball. He has good skills and give his all. Bloody good player, no doubt about that!

pacorosssco
08-01-2017, 11:39 PM
Would Celtic or more importantly Rodgers want him as he seems to be interested in signing the next foreign wonderkid rather than a Scottish youngster?

Celtic under teeth are all about europe. At moment few if any homegrown players will make Celtic better europe. Mcginn could be but gamble . They want players who come proven higher level and can put window sell huge fee. Foster Wanyama has shown players can step epl from Celtic which means they get top price. Rest of us no chance. Dembele if scottish came through ranks Hibs wouldnt be france u21 yet and not worth anywhere near amounts quoted. SJM will likely go championship team for 1.5 2million tops. Only chance more is plays well scotland or bidding war as wanted by more one club. I hope he chooses well as could go higher decent epl mid table after 1 good season. Further on dembele point. Is he that much better leigh g? Not sure. Yet is worth much much more

Stan the Man
09-01-2017, 12:07 PM
not read much of the posts on this subject but I assume you are correct about John re-family ties rtc. Apart from that I also go with what you are saying, a real give away price if Celtic get silly money about Dembele! Mc Ginn is a better allround player imho. he is the best we have had for such a long long time. I put him firmly in the bracket of my favourite Hibernian players, being Stanton O'Rourke Riordan.many others I liked but the wee man is well up there. a great bit o' business by Dempster and obviously Stubbsy's scouting or backroom team. long may he remain, as a Hibby.he is a better player than Broony,a better player than Collins, and a better player than Sauzee for us.

Better than Sauzee??

What next......better than Zidane?

Super_JMcGinn
09-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Scott Brown was my all time fav player until SJM came on the scene. Broonie was the best box to box midfielder I have seen, phenomenal runner with the ball and a goal he score at Darkhead when I think it was Macnamara who tried to slice him in two will stay with me for a long time as it was my one and only visit there, I think we won 3-1 not sure.

But SJM ? He could go on to be one of the best midfielders this country has EVER produced. I think Broonie stalled somewhat when he went over to the dark country, SJM if he does go there will move on to far bigger and better things imo.

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2017, 02:09 PM
McGinn has weaknesses people are completely ignoring here. He is a great player but he has his flaws and he needs to grow. Brown was better.

hibbysam
09-01-2017, 02:12 PM
McGinn has weaknesses people are completely ignoring here. He is a great player but he has his flaws and he needs to grow. Brown was better.

Do you know any 22 year old's who don't have flaws? And was Scott Brown flawless at 22?

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Do you know any 22 year old's who don't have flaws? And was Scott Brown flawless at 22?No but posts saying McGinn could become one of the best midfield players Scotland has ever produced are way over the top. He is good and could become a very solid player at a high level but folk need to relax a little. He isn't actually better than Zidane.

northstandhibby
09-01-2017, 05:40 PM

I agree entirely with this.

All of the former players you have mentioned were legend status. When I first saw John Collins play for us he was around 17/18 years of age and he was one of the best and classiest left sided players I have ever seen, he was special. Just one example of the top players you mentioned. I think SJM is that special classy type of player too. He has it all and will only get better. Players like SJM are like gold dust and if he goes then we should be well rewarded from the buying club as they will be acquiring the future Scotland captain if he stays clear of serious injury. SJM is a terrifically gifted young player and appears well grounded and a nice guy to boot.

Glory Glory

Andy74
09-01-2017, 05:51 PM
No but posts saying McGinn could become one of the best midfield players Scotland has ever produced are way over the top. He is good and could become a very solid player at a high level but folk need to relax a little. He isn't actually better than Zidane.

No but Zidane isn't actually in the list of midfielders Scotland have produced.

McGinn could certainly be up there with the best we have had in this country - might not happen of course but he has all the attributes.

bigwheel
09-01-2017, 05:55 PM

....he might be one day, but I'm sure if you were to ask even John would say that is currently well wide of the mark. He has not yet reached anywhere near any of those you have mentioned achievements and performance levels..

Nicho87
09-01-2017, 05:59 PM
McGinn imo shows more potential than Brown did at there ages. My opinion likes.

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2017, 06:00 PM
No but Zidane isn't actually in the list of midfielders Scotland have produced.

McGinn could certainly be up there with the best we have had in this country - might not happen of course but he has all the attributes.Why certainly? I'd say McGinn hasn't even been Hibs best Scottish midfielder this season. He is a cracking talent and I'm delighted he plays for Hibs but folk need to calm down a little.

Andy74
09-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Why certainly? I'd say McGinn hasn't even been Hibs best Scottish midfielder this season. He is a cracking talent and I'm delighted he plays for Hibs but folk need to calm down a little.

I say certainly has a chance because he has the attributes - I also said it might not happen.

I probably missed the other Scottish Hibs midfielder that was Man of the Match for Scotland on his debut.

I assume you think Fyvie has been the better player? He has been important yes, but who do you think will go from here to have the better career? McGinn has the potential to be something far more special.

MWHIBBIES
09-01-2017, 06:34 PM
I say certainly has a chance because he has the attributes - I also said it might not happen.

I probably missed the other Scottish Hibs midfielder that was Man of the Match for Scotland on his debut.

I assume you think Fyvie has been the better player? He has been important yes, but who do you think will go from here to have the better career? McGinn has the potential to be something far more special.

He doesn't have all the attributes, though. For example, he has struggled multiple times in a 2 man central midfield for Hibs. He doesn't score enough goals. He doesn't get many assists. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he is a cracking player but you're making out like he can become world class. He won't. He could become a solid top half premier league player IMO and a good player for Scotland.

houstonhibbee
09-01-2017, 06:37 PM
He doesn't have all the attributes, though. For example, he has struggled multiple times in a 2 man central midfield for Hibs. He doesn't score enough goals. He doesn't get many assists. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think he is a cracking player but you're making out like he can become world class. He won't. He could become a solid top half premier league player IMO and a good player for Scotland.
He is still young and developing and has plenty time to attain some of the attributes that may be missing now. Think its a bit early to be judging....

Stan the Man
09-01-2017, 06:43 PM
No but posts saying McGinn could become one of the best midfield players Scotland has ever produced are way over the top. He is good and could become a very solid player at a high level but folk need to relax a little. He isn't actually better than Zidane.

Sorry man, my Zidane comment was completely tounge in cheek as I disagree with the better than Sauzee chat.

My feelings are much the same as yours.

Stan the Man
09-01-2017, 06:50 PM

Sorry man, my Zidane comment was completely tounge in cheek as I disagree with the 'better than Sauzee' chat.

My feelings are much the same as yours. He's tremendous but still has room to grow.

jeffers
09-01-2017, 07:02 PM
If John McGinn leaves and it is to Celtic I hope they don't turn him into another Scott Brown. He's obviously had a very successful career but the Scott Brown that played for Hibs was exciting to watch, a player like McGinn who when he gets the ball and starts running at players creates a buzz and gets fans off their feet. I can't say that about the Scott Brown who plays for Celtic, a snarling "hard man" who goes round kicking the opposition and gets away with it because of who he plays for.

I love McGinn, imo our best player and definitely our biggest asset. At this stage I would say Scott Brown was a better player than McGinn when he left Hibs, but if McGinn keeps progressing and is allowed to play to his strengths I think he'll end up being the better player.

Bishop Hibee
09-01-2017, 07:03 PM
I've said in other McGinn threads that the player he most reminds me of is Murdo McLeod. If he continues to improve he can play in the EPL no problem.

Fergus52
09-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Apart from being a touch inconsistent (which is to be expected from someone so young) what would you see his weaknesses are?

I agree that some posters are being a tad OTT with their praise, comparing him to Sauzee etc. However I would say he definitely has all the natural attributes to make it at the top level.

He's strong, not too slow, can pass, shoot, tackle and is quite well disciplined positionally for a 22 year old, as he showed for Scotland against Denmark when he played deeper in midfield. He also has a very unique dribbling style which bamboozles most defenders. I cant see any area of his overall game which needs significant improvement.

Big L
09-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Love JMcG he is actually good enough to play for Hibs and we should be giving him a better contract and building a team around him and a few other current Hibs players rather than talking about how much he is worth and is he good enough to play for Celtic. Celtic are going places under Rodgers, £2.8.Mill fot a lad who has played 20 first team games is an indication to me that they have bigger fish to fry than JcMG. If he was playing for the Dons or the Yams they wouldn't be talking about selling him they would be doing everything they can to hold on to him and if we have any intention of getting back to the top of Scottish football we need to do the same.

HibernianJK
09-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Personally I think Scott Brown at Hibs is up there with the top 2/3 players I've seen at hibs (im 22). I don't think John Mcginn is as good as Brown was but there's no reason he can't get there. IMO people expecting 5million+ are pretty unrealistic. The Scottish market hasn't changed that much and English clubs aren't paying Stupid money for players in Scotland like they are the rest of the world.

I think if Mcginn signs a 1yr extension and stays with us if we go up for 1 more season we can look at maybe 3.5/4 million for him either from Celtic or a Championship club down south.

ancient hibee
09-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Love JMcG he is actually good enough to play for Hibs and we should be giving him a better contract and building a team around him and a few other current Hibs players rather than talking about how much he is worth and is he good enough to play for Celtic. Celtic are going places under Rodgers, £2.8.Mill fot a lad who has played 20 first team games is an indication to me that they have bigger fish to fry than JcMG. If he was playing for the Dons or the Yams they wouldn't be talking about selling him they would be doing everything they can to hold on to him and if we have any intention of getting back to the top of Scottish football we need to do the same.
I haven't seen anywhere that the club wants to sell him .It's only people on here.

MyJo
09-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Sell him to a Chinese club for £18m :greengrin

Big L
09-01-2017, 10:30 PM
I haven't seen anywhere that the club wants to sell him .It's only people on here.

That's what I'm talking about Ancient! I'd would like to see the club give him an increased contract which would show the fans their intentions are to keep our better players, that's the only way we will build a successful side.

ancient hibee
09-01-2017, 10:34 PM
That's what I'm talking about Ancient! I'd would like to see the club give him an increased contract which would show the fans their intentions are to keep our better players, that's the only way we will build a successful side.

Exactly right.

Captain Trips
09-01-2017, 11:28 PM
We have had better than John and we have certainly had worse than John. He is here now playing for us in the 2nd tier of the game when IMO he could walk right into just about every team in SPL.

Better players or not I am enjoying Mcginn while he is here and I hope its for a lot longer.

houstonhibbee
09-01-2017, 11:37 PM
I agree and posted this earlier:

"when will the day come when our aspirations are greater than the short term gain? Could we not hold on to him longer on the basis that his stock will just keep rising? Or is that too much of a financial risk? If he's worth $4m new year in 3 years he might be worth $10m?
I know this is all hugely debatable but if we are seriously to contend for the league and get into Europe we have to speculate sensibly?"

--------
10-01-2017, 12:00 AM
I haven't seen anywhere that the club wants to sell him. It's only people on here.

You're displaying an old-fashioned regard for accuracy and truth, there, ancient.

As you say, there's been nothing from Hibs about wanting to sell him, and I'm not aware that John has made any mention of wanting a move. Only on this board - so who on this board wants him to go?

jeffers
10-01-2017, 12:15 AM
You're displaying an old-fashioned regard for accuracy and truth, there, ancient.

As you say, there's been nothing from Hibs about wanting to sell him, and I'm not aware that John has made any mention of wanting a move. Only on this board - so who on this board wants him to go?

I don't think that's the point at all. After the game on Friday NL said he was a player we wanted to keep hold of hence the speculation and posts on here.

southsider
10-01-2017, 12:37 AM
Better than Sauzee??

What next......better than Zidane?

Watching SJM on a park is magical. He glides rather than runs. A bit like the great PS. No higher praise.

Barman Stanton
10-01-2017, 10:28 AM
Great player who I hope stays with us for next season as well but I think people are going a bit over the top with him. Don't agree he was better than Collins. And better than Sauzee, a former French captain, 39 caps and Champions League winner? Nah no way. Remember Sauzee was a midfielder, we moved him to sweeper where he still controlled the whole game from. Not many players would be capable of that.

hibsbollah
10-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Great player who I hope stays with us for next season as well but I think people are going a bit over the top with him. Don't agree he was better than Collins. And better than Sauzee, a former French captain, 39 caps and Champions League winner? Nah no way. Remember Sauzee was a midfielder, we moved him to sweeper where he still controlled the whole game from. Not many players would be capable of that.

I haven't read anything where any ones saying he's better than Sauzee.
When Franck was 22 he was winning the European U21 championship for France, and had just been transferred to Marseille, who won Ligue 1 that season and the following season with him a regular in midfield! Any comparison at this stage in their careers is a bit daft.

Smartie
10-01-2017, 11:33 AM
I find it quite hard to fully evaluate a number of players, given we're in the Championship.

I'd love to see how good McGinn, Cummings, Gray, McGeouch all are. But it's hard to say playing at the level they're at.

The reason we knew we had special players with the golden generation was because we saw the likes pf Scott Brown go to Ibrox and Parkhead and dominate their opposite numbers. Until our current players get that chance, it's hard to say.

--------
10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I don't think that's the point at all. After the game on Friday NL said he was a player we wanted to keep hold of hence the speculation and posts on here.

Naw - Neil said, "We want to keep hold of him".

Do we really have to immediately kick off a potential 300-post thread basically telling all and sundry that WE reckon he's here for the taking?

Might as well put a "For Sale" sign on the chest of the laddie's shirt ... :bitchy:

JimBHibees
10-01-2017, 11:49 AM
I find it quite hard to fully evaluate a number of players, given we're in the Championship.

I'd love to see how good McGinn, Cummings, Gray, McGeouch all are. But it's hard to say playing at the level they're at.

The reason we knew we had special players with the golden generation was because we saw the likes pf Scott Brown go to Ibrox and Parkhead and dominate their opposite numbers. Until our current players get that chance, it's hard to say.

Agree to an extent however John has clearly stood out against premier teams regularly and has done well at international level also.

--------
10-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Agree to an extent however John has clearly stood out against premier teams regularly and has done well at international level also.

Exactly - he (and others) have showed up pretty well against Hearts and The Rangers in the past couple of seasons. He's a very good player and I hope we hold on to him as long as possible.

And when he does go, we get a proper fee for him.

But NOT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smartie
10-01-2017, 12:25 PM

He has, but I'd like to see him do it at a higher level consistently over a season, including playing well in Glasgow.

I've been impressed when he's played Premier League teams and against Rangers last season but that was more a case of raising his game from time to time.

FWIW I was actually speaking to a St Mirren fan when I was down in London for the Scotland game. He was delighted to hear McGinn is doing as well as he is and they all still hold him in high regard. Mcgann has already (probably) played at least a couple of seasons in the top league for St Mirren. It's just that I didn't know much about him then.

(TBF my point was more in relation to the likes of Gray and McGeouch who haven't played much at the top level - yet - although they have always impressed in the Championship and in cup ties against Premier League opposition).

superfurryhibby
10-01-2017, 12:34 PM

I haven't read anything where any ones saying he's better than Sauzee.
When Franck was 22 he was winning the European U21 championship for France, and had just been transferred to Marseille, who won Ligue 1 that season and the following season with him a regular in midfield! Any comparison at this stage in their careers is a bit daft.

The references to Brown and Collins etc are probably in response to the contention from post quoted above.

I would love to see McGinn with Hibs next season. However, being realistic, I would doubt very much if that will happen. That is the reality of football. We are constrained by wages and other financial imperatives. Any talent with the potential of McGinn will come under scrutiny and we will find it hard to say no to offers that are tempting. Also, Mc Ginn's own ambitions will play a huge part in that. Part of the attraction of coming to Hibs for young talent wil be the knowledge that they have a platform on which to develop and come under the radar of bigger clubs. Sporting ambitions that we cannot fulfil will always incentivise players to look elsewhere, as will considerably larger salaries.

hibsbollah
10-01-2017, 12:47 PM
The references to Brown and Collins etc are probably in response to the contention from post quoted above.

I would love to see McGinn with Hibs next season. However, being realistic, I would doubt very much if that will happen. That is the reality of football. We are constrained by wages and other financial imperatives. Any talent with the potential of McGinn will come under scrutiny and we will find it hard to say no to offers that are tempting. Also, Mc Ginn's own ambitions will play a huge part in that. Part of the attraction of coming to Hibs for young talent wil be the knowledge that they have a platform on which to develop and come under the radar of bigger clubs. Sporting ambitions that we cannot fulfil will always incentivise players to look elsewhere, as will considerably larger salaries.

Wow! I'd missed that, I disagree with Monktonharp on that, I think hyperbole is at play a bit there.