PDA

View Full Version : Highest Average attendance since 1972/73

declan macmanus
06-01-2017, 06:43 AM
BBC reporting that our average attendance this season is our highest since 1972/73.
Take a bow fellow Hibees. Certainly doing our bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
06-01-2017, 06:55 AM
Wow! Impressive.

That's got to be on the back of the Cup Win.

3 year in the second division of Scottish football, there's no valid reason why crowds should be so good.

J

hibs0666
06-01-2017, 07:13 AM
This may well be the highest attendance ever for a league game between the teams.

GordonHFC
06-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Wow! Impressive.

That's got to be on the back of the Cup Win.

3 year in the second division of Scottish football, there's no valid reason why crowds should be so good.

J

Because we are Hibernian Football Club and we have never been or will never be conventional :aok:

AgentDaleCooper
06-01-2017, 07:46 AM
it's definitely the cup win - i bought my ST just because i wanted to say thanks somehow to the club for that day, and i'm sure there are plenty others who felt the same.

confused
06-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Every fan wants to watch his team winning, that is the plain and simple fact,

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Fantastic stuff. I'm sure we will win tonight, well done to the fans for backing the team.

:thumbsup::flag:

Baw187
06-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Will be interesting to see if we push should we win the league and get promoted. Logically you'd think we'd have the same, if not more ST holders wanting to see us in our first season back in the PL.

Enough said
06-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Think you have hit the nail on the head there mate 👍🏻

Since1875Hibs
06-01-2017, 08:47 AM

Our record is around the same as the previous season though and we weren't pulling these numbers then?

Keith_M
06-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Will be interesting to see if we push should we win the league and get promoted. Logically you'd think we'd have the same, if not more ST holders wanting to see us in our first season back in the PL.

I actually don't think we will.

A lot of people bought season tickets to guarantee themselves a ticket for the cup final and we are also in a two team challenge for the title.

When we get back to playing in the Premier, the best we can hope for is to be challenging for a European place, which doesn't quite give the same level of excitement.

I'm not meaning to be negative, just realistic.

RoYO!
06-01-2017, 08:55 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38526398

Quite a good read. Also some have been stating that hibs haven't been getting the recognition for attendances etc so this should please them! :)

Andy74
06-01-2017, 09:21 AM
I actually don't think we will.

A lot of people bought season tickets to guarantee themselves a ticket for the cup final and we are also in a two team challenge for the title.

When we get back to playing in the Premier, the best we can hope for is to be challenging for a European place, which doesn't quite give the same level of excitement.

I'm not meaning to be negative, just realistic.

I agree and you know what its like, we are never too happy so when we do get back and aren't sailing away in 3rd there will be heads getting looked for!

hibsbollah
06-01-2017, 09:38 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38526398

Quite a good read. Also some have been stating that hibs haven't been getting the recognition for attendances etc so this should please them! :)

It is a good read, but that's Tom English. None of the other BBC pundits are capable of writing anything that would make you want to attend a non OF game in Scotland.

RoYO!
06-01-2017, 10:02 AM
It is a good read, but that's Tom English. None of the other BBC pundits are capable of writing anything that would make you want to attend a non OF game in Scotland.

Yep don't mind Tom English (that said I don't listen to a lot of radio Scotland) he seems to have a brain in there and his statements aren't confined to the usual sporting cliches that so many of the other pundits rely on.

Baldy Foghorn
06-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Great stats:flag:

Ozyhibby
06-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Bet they opened the Dunbar end in 1973.[emoji3]

hibsbollah
06-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Yep don't mind Tom English (that said I don't listen to a lot of radio Scotland) he seems to have a brain in there and his statements aren't confined to the usual sporting cliches that so many of the other pundits rely on.

Plus the yams hate him for calling them out for sectarian singing:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
06-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Plus the yams hate him for calling them out for sectarian singing:greengrin

Started to grow on me as a football writer. Thought when he first started out as SOS he was a bit ignorant of Scottish football and a little ham-fisted in some of his assumptions. Since then he's gotten up to speed, and writes more confidently, shelving the tired cliches and taking an interest in the game outside of the OF.

Hibernia&Alba
06-01-2017, 02:01 PM
It really is an exceptional effort in the circumstances of a third year in the second tier. The support has always been there, but years of mismanagement led to many not bothering to attend. Win the cup and the potential is realised. We really need promotion, if we're to maintain these crowds next season.

frazeHFC
06-01-2017, 02:02 PM
10,000 more than our last meeting at home against them in the Premiership is an incredible amount. Early goal and ER will be rocking!

KdyHby
06-01-2017, 03:11 PM
What was the average attendance in 72/73?

houstonhibbee
06-01-2017, 03:18 PM
also bear in mind there was no segregation or seating so home games against Hearts, Rangers and Celtic would likely attract 30,000 plus which would inflate the average hugely

ihibs7
06-01-2017, 03:21 PM

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/club_records_league_attendance.php

Keith_M
06-01-2017, 03:22 PM

superfurryhibby
06-01-2017, 03:24 PM

C16,000

also bear in mind there was no segregation or seating so home games against Hearts, Rangers and Celtic would likely attract 30,000 plus which would inflate the average hugely

The seated enclosure was in operation then so there was a section of seating, aside from (irony again) the stand. I have memories of crowds of nearly 50,000 v Celtic in a league game. Possibly in 73-74 season though. Numbers v the likes of Arbroath, East Fife and Dumbarton must have been way less then 10,000 so no doubt the average was massively boosted by the crowds at the big games.

hibsbollah
06-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Started to grow on me as a football writer. Thought when he first started out as SOS he was a bit ignorant of Scottish football and a little ham-fisted in some of his assumptions. Since then he's gotten up to speed, and writes more confidently, shelving the tired cliches and taking an interest in the game outside of the OF.

To be fair I also quite enjoy the literary elan of Derek Johnstone. But since he only uses crayons his writing is sometimes rather hard to read.

'Mon the Hibs:flag: